Fouche
Captain

troops moving without being ordered?

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:24 pm

Hi, I am reporting this for my friend who seems to have problems in posting this question. He will send via support a question about his password issues on the forum.
Anyway...his problem is this... He is the Union player and we are playing a PBEM game. He reported to me..."I did not send any armies to North Carolina, and in fact, there are no transports along the coast that could have put them there.". He is wondering what happened...has anyone else have this issue..
many thanks... :)

Fouche
Captain

an update..more things..

Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:55 pm

as per my friend..he told me the following..
by the way the game is early 1862:
* 10 generals, four brigades, a mortar unit, a signal company, and two supply units in Odenton, NC
* One of my supply wagons seems to have successfully captured Tyrell, NC, by an amphibious assault (huh?)

Neither of the above have Union naval units anywhere near them on the map -- so how did they get there?

* General Milroy's brigade and one supply wagon are in the Raleigh area. Maybe they were inserted by Blackhawk helicopters?
* Two Federal naval infantry units have been wandering around the New Orleans area for several turns -- I never sent any troops to that region by ship.
PS he said there were no ships nearby when he looks at the map but when I have looked at it...I see ships moving...
I have a question..I have Windows 7 (he has windows XP) and therefore the saved game files are in User/etc., directory...could this be the problem. I am hosting the game.

Jim-NC

Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:24 am

Have you turned off the AI? If not, that may be the problem. Sometimes Athena moves units for your PBEM opponent (if they did not give orders to the unit). Make sure your options have "inactive AI".

The units should be visible moving during the replay, so you/your opponent should be able to trace their path.

For a better, more in-depth analysis, you will need to post saved games, and tell us what version you are playing.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Fouche
Captain

Sun May 01, 2011 8:21 pm

Hello and thank you.
We switched off of the AI's but as per my opponent he after a few turns saw strange things again. He Ordered a unit that could move and did not move for example. Thing is as I recall we were able to play this game when it first came out without any problems as far as I can remember (in fact this includes the BOA..etc.). So this is bizarre to me... :bonk:
Will review what we are doing as per your suggestions.

Pocus

Mon May 02, 2011 4:53 pm

Ideally you'll want (if you are the host) to send all files to a volunteer, that can check if the troops were ordered or not to move in the .ORD file of your opponent. If no and they do move, then I would be as surprised as you!

About switching ON or OFF the AI when playing a PBEM. This is not necessary. Unless you don't read in-game messages :) When you want to run a turn and your opponent file is not there, then the game tells you that the AI will take over his turn. You don't want to do that, but you have got a warning telling you that things are not ok.

IF on the other hand you have switched off the AI and forgot to add the turn of your opponent, then I think you won't get any message, as the AI won't want to take over, and then you'll run the turn without the input of your opponent. This can perhaps mean that moves planned some turns ago will still be underway, and this can lead your opponent to believe he has troops moving under their own will whereas this is a normal situation.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Fouche
Captain

Mon May 02, 2011 6:14 pm

Hello Pocus, and thanks. :)

OK I have found a later posting which negates the items below it seems..
by Pocus: October 22nd, 201:p osting#332
"There is no bug for me, the US force was targeting another force, so the dynamical change in trajectory".
-----------
Therefore then these are not movement bug issues.
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=18919
and here
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?p=189114#post189114

------------
Therefore, there is no movement bug and since I believe my opponent did not send his units to meet other units there is another issue causing these problems. Back to square one now. :bonk:
I will have to send saved files to a volunteer to look to see what is happening..
Thanks...

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”