quanon
Conscript

Mac Version Turn Display

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:59 pm

In the Mac digital download, the turns display in monthly increments (July 1861, August 1861, etc.), but the turns advance in fortnightly increments.

Any way to change this, so that the turns will display properly (early July 1861, late July 1861, etc.)?

Thanks!

Gray_Lensman

Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:15 pm

deleted

quanon
Conscript

Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:47 pm

Gray_Lensman wrote:Hmmm, an error in the database ported over to Mac obviously... Sorry... I've not even seen the Mac database files... I presume it leaves the Month/Date up for both fortnight turns? This would mean that the scenario database files would need to be corrected and then new scenario runtime .sct files would have to be regenerated for player/gamer usage. (Not something simple for you to correct since the .sct file is best regenerated from the database files.)

Pocus (or whomever is responsible for the Mac database files) will have to correct those files and then post a patch. Sorry for the obvious bug.

Actually, if the month in the calendar in the upper right of the screen stayed the same for both fortnights, I would not have noticed. What actually happens is that as turns pass, the calendar advances one month per turn. The number of "days" gets out of sync with the calendar date, but the real problem is that the weather becomes inappropriate (blizzards during the summer).

I originally thought it was a problem with the weather, but after looking through the weather files, modifying some of them and running the game to test the results, I realized that the game's actual "month" had nothing to do with the month listed in the calendar.

For example, the Gettysburg battle scenario has the appropriate weather, but begins in December 1863 (:bonk :) .

[Sorry about the double post originally. I did not know which subforum to post in.]

Gray_Lensman

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:36 pm

This won't be anything you can hotfix in a Mod. You'll have to be a little patient and wait for "official" AGEod to come up with a quick fix for this. I don't think it will take them long to fix it, but they generally tend to be "off" over the weekends.

quanon
Conscript

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:40 pm

Sounds good.

Rexor
Sergeant

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:00 pm

What? There's a Mac version?? And here I've been playing this game using Parallels for Windows on my Macbook Pro. :blink:
"Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel."—Samuel Johnson

michaelincol
Corporal

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Excuse me - are there Mac versions of some of the games? I have WIA and AACW and run them on Win7 under Boot Camp with my Mac Book Pro. I would love to buy Mac versions. Did I read wrong or ?

michaelincol
Corporal

Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:25 pm

I am downloading a MAC version from virtual programming right now. I see nothing on the boards or AGEOD website but assume they will support this as they do so wonderfully all their Win versions. AGEOD should broadcast this - similar move with Battlefront putting upcoming Combat Mission back on Mac got quite a lot of pre-order sales going for Battlefront. I will buy Mac versions of any and all games from AGEOD.

Pocus

Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:56 am

Mac conversion has been done by a company which is expert at doing it, after Paradox asked them if they could. I know they completed the job, but I don't have any other details.
I'll ask the Powers from Beyond ;) if they can give me more details. One thing is sure: this is not us but the said company that can patch anything.

This forum will only be able to help you on gameplay questions thus, sorry about that. Check that there are CSV files in a directory called ACW\settings though, if yes, then you can perhaps edit your own game to fix the problem.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

michaelincol
Corporal

Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:25 am

Corporate stuff... a shame. I bought my third copy of the game for Mac on the name AGEOD and your great reputation (well earned) for supporting your games. If Paradox is going to port your games to MAC that should be a good thing, yes, but your comments sound otherwise? Other companies are doing so right now and gaining sales with polished supported ports (Battlefront and Slitherine) they are happy to advertise. Bad thing if the port is sloppy and questions on fixes for easy cosmetic bugs like dates and numbers not formatted to fit in columns that should have been caught are answered with not my responsibility from AGEOD maybe you can patch it yourself. I'm trying to understand your position, Pocus, surely you can understand any customer like mine who bought a game thinking it would have the quality and support your company is known for.

No big deal, only $20. I guess I will learn your system on my Windows versions and be careful to not buy any Paradox ports in the future.

quanon
Conscript

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:47 pm

Pocus wrote:Check that there are CSV files in a directory called ACW\settings though, if yes, then you can perhaps edit your own game to fix the problem.

Yes, the CSV files are there.

In the LocalStrings_AGE file, there are descriptions of the turns (12_0 is January, 24_0 is early January, etc.). There is nothing like that in the LocalStrings_ACW file.

If you could give me a hint as to the area in either CSV file or the scenario files that affects the calendar display in the upper right corner, I'll happily change the appropriate file myself.

Franciscus

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:49 pm

Pocus wrote:Mac conversion has been done by a company which is expert at doing it, after Paradox asked them if they could. I know they completed the job, but I don't have any other details.
I'll ask the Powers from Beyond ;) if they can give me more details. One thing is sure: this is not us but the said company that can patch anything.

This forum will only be able to help you on gameplay questions thus, sorry about that. Check that there are CSV files in a directory called ACW\settings though, if yes, then you can perhaps edit your own game to fix the problem.

Sorry, Pocus, but I do not understand your (Ageod's ?) position. :confused:

Porting your (old and new) games to Mac makes lots of sense, IMHO. More and more peolpe and jumping to Apple's world. I myself have in my house 2 iphones, 2 ipads, a ipod touch and my daughter's MacBook. The ONLY reason I do not have a iMac is because of the games, but maybe when my desktop PC dies I will go that way.
Porting your games to Mac would revive interest in them, you could have good marketing and more sales.

How can you discard AACW for Mac ?? - after all it's "Ageod's" ACW, not "Virtual Programming" ACW...

By not using this initiative to your benefit and providing the deserved support, you are probably shooting yourself in the feet, IMHO :(

Nikel

Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:07 pm

Though I usually agree with you, Franciscus ;) , not this time.

The game was ported by Virtual Programming, so I guess it is part of their job to support it. In VP website there seems to be support and forum available

http://www.vpltd.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_66&products_id=268

Edit:sorry, like in the movie, It is not part of their job, it is their ... job :D

michaelincol
Corporal

Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:24 pm

I checked and VP doesn't even have a forum for ACCW on their website.

http://www.vpltd.com/vpforum/index.php?showforum=49

But that isn't my point although it would be nice to have a Mac ACCW version the quality of original ACCW out the gate.

I am with Franciscus and I think his point and mine isn't who technically by internal Paradox rules is responsible for ACCW Mac version support. The sad point is a greatly missed opportunity for a great game and development team and Mac audience it seems to me.

Check out Battlefront re-enlivened website with announcement of port of Combat Mission to Mac and a big pre-order campaign to drum up new audience sales. Check out Slitherine's close to ready overseeing of another company's port of their hit Battlefield Academy to Mac. And then I am looking at the silent release of the ACCW Mac port on April 4, and no section for ACCW support on the virtual forum, and the smell of weird dysfunctional corporate politics at play when Pocus lays out the official positioning.

Pocus and company so loyally support their games years longer and better than most - at first I was surprised they weren't advertising the Mac port to gain a wider crowd and some more $$$ as it was a natural for their timeless platform - now I kinda get that the one off Mac port is a "Paradox thing" which doesn't mean it is an AGEOD thing even though it is AGEOD's ACCW and AGEOD and Paradox are one company since AGEOD got acquired by Paradox. Sorry for all the blah blah. Back to learning ACCW on my Mac under Bootcamp. :bonk:

Pocus

Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:21 pm

I don't think I was clear enough. I'm very happy that a company ported ACW to the Mac. But aside from ringing their bell and asking them to listen to you and your remarks, I don't have any tool, power or possibility to help you here. They are the professionals that know how to work on the Mac and convert a PC game to Mac, we at Ageod (basically 2-3 individuals) are not proficient on that.

Franciscus: We are working on Pride of Nations full time, and you know we are now a subsidiary of Paradox Sweden (Ageod being called Paradox France). We can't do several things at once, and if we do a Mac conversion of our games, then it will mean that Paradox Sweden is asking us to do that. This is not the case, as they know of a proficient development studio that does these kind of conversions. Point taken?

edit: I have sent a mail to the lead dev of VPN company.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Franciscus

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:04 pm

Pocus wrote:Franciscus: We are working on Pride of Nations full time, and you know we are now a subsidiary of Paradox Sweden (Ageod being called Paradox France). We can't do several things at once, and if we do a Mac conversion of our games, then it will mean that Paradox Sweden is asking us to do that. This is not the case, as they know of a proficient development studio that does these kind of conversions. Point taken?

Point taken... :(

(as so, I guess I will start to call my favourite game PFACW...)

Good luck Pocus on PoN. I will be there :coeurs:

michaelincol
Corporal

Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:46 pm

Thanks, Pocus. After leaving high tech sales world for good a few years back, I am finding alot of time to do alot of things - amongst them finally learning and playing your gaming systems(s). The systems and your personal support of same and the wonderful community here are all wonderful. I had the original BOA and ACCW and they sat whilst I toiled away - I recently purchased WIA and ACCW on both Win and the new Mac version and look forward to PoN, too.

My apologies for any sarkiness or whininess on my part with the posts. I was just excited to see ACCW on Mac and be able to play it without switching over to Win7, and excited that your craftwork gets a wider paying audience - once the port company gets it patched proper I will go back to it.

Thanks for passing on info.

Michael

Gray_Lensman

Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:36 am

deleted

Pocus

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:30 am

Good news gents!

I reached the lead dev of VP and he was very willing to make a patch, provided he gets a detailed list of reports with accompanying screenshots.

So ... make a list of issues, in a clear and concise way, give details on how to reproduce it, and do a screenshot when of use. I'll then forward the list to VP.

michaelincol
Corporal

Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:17 am

Two issues I am aware of with ACCW on Mac:

* "In the Mac digital download, the turns display in monthly increments (July 1861, August 1861, etc.), but the turns advance in fortnightly increments."
See top of this thread by Quonon who detailed this problem.

I notice along with the date calculation being wrong sometimes the display only shows year and not month or early or late.

* Supplies and ammo fields on main screen top display are not formatted to contain large enough numbers. Any campaign with big numbers scenario opens with the numbers for these two fields overlapping and running into each other.

sorry I am not aware how to do screen shots... Any one opening 1861 or 1862 start scenarios will see both issues on display.

Thanks Pocus

Gray_Lensman

Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:56 pm

deleted

michaelincol
Corporal

Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:05 pm

here is screen shot with both errors circled. Date has been mentioned as a calculation error at top of thread and also here is display with no month?

Field formatting error on supply and ammo totals spilling over into neighboring fields when numbers get large is circled as well. This is second turn of 1861 campaign - 1st turn had more supply hence greater spillover but I wanted to show the month missing on date display and 1st turn showed month in date field.
Attachments
accw on Mac with 2 display errors.jpg

michaelincol
Corporal

Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:04 pm

One more display spill over formatting error on re-inforcement screen. 1st turn screen is blank wood, second turn screen cubbyhole box appears and has some minor spill over on type of unit tabs. Third turn (attached) cubbyhole box slots fill with varied units and type of unit tabs stay squished - especially both ship categories with most letters where number in paranthesis is totally covered.

Nothing earth shattering but hey, AGEOD has me spoiled on polished games and I figured if VP was fixing the other 2 they could perhaps get another field format change. Thanks again, Pocus. You are most kind in giving this a few cycles in the midst of the new game push.

michael
Attachments
third error on accw mac ver..jpg

Pocus

Tue May 03, 2011 12:59 pm

your screenshots are a bit too small, why are you resizing them? The Mac dev will perhaps ask to get bigger ones.

Thanks for the reports though! Do you think there will be more very soon or not?

michaelincol
Corporal

Tue May 03, 2011 1:49 pm

sorry for size - didn't seem to take with larger size - I would wait and wait for attachment to take....

This is all I have to report, I am learning/playing ACCW on Win 7 side of my macbook pro - the cosmetic field formatting error stuff was ok but the date/turn logic being off has me leaving it alone until fixed. That, and the usual little to no support for ported games to Mac (that forces kind guys like you to help with that which you have no responsibility for). It's why I run Win 7 on my Bootcamp partition for all my games. It is just handy and worth buying two versions if a game I like is running on the Mac side where I do all my work - but not if the product and support is less than the win version.

Good news I think is other than logic error in how date/turn is being calculated only errors I have seen with the Mac port of ACCW are cosmetic ones: the several fields that need to be formatted larger to hold larger numbers - 1)several supply fields in the production scoreboard as I pictured and circled, and the 2)unit tab fields on the reinforcement screen I pictured.

I hope the pictures suffice if you still want to forward the errors on and the VP dev cares to fix them. Tell him to start any larger campaigns including Kentucky for view of field overflow errors in supply fields, and to just advance a few turns to see logic and display errors in date fields. Unit tabs on reinforcement screen start showing field formatting errors as soon as they appear (turn 2 in any scenario).

Thanks, Pocus, looking forward to your new game and learning ACCW in native Win mode!

michael

Pocus

Tue May 03, 2011 2:13 pm

For now I have sent your 3 reports, we will see. I don't think it will be possible for them to update regularly the game though, so if you have time, it is now that they will accept reports (well within 10 days or so I would say)...

michaelincol
Corporal

Tue May 03, 2011 3:06 pm

Thanks, Pocus. I'm good with anything else to report. Your quality and support for every one of your games no matter how old is great. Think I will stay over in Win land mostly with AGEOD games proper...

michael

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:07 am

Has anyone yet tried running a pbem game with one person using a Mac and the other a PC? Does it work? I have a frined with a Mac whod love to get the game so we could play against each other, but I cant find this info out anywhere.

Ethan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:00 pm

Hi fusileer2002,

It seems that so far nobody knows the answer to your question. :confused:

Why do not you try it and so you get out of doubts? :thumbsup:
[color="Navy"][font="Georgia"]"Mi grandeza no reside en no haber caído nunca, sino en haberme levantado siempre". Napoleón Bonaparte.[/font][/color]

[color="Blue"]Same Land. Different Dreams. - Photobook[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:06 pm

Good idea! But its not my money that will be buying the Mac version, and if we cant play pbem he wont be a happy chappy ;)

Return to “AACW Technical support / Aide technique”