captainmatt
Sergeant

God Save the South

Sat May 31, 2008 3:13 pm

Good morning all-

This is my first attempt at an online AAR with this game. It's been a while since I have been so enthused about a war game. The last one I played this much was Hearts of Iron 2. I have ordered Birth of America, and I hope it is as good as this game has been. Anyway, I am playing with the latest patch up to this date (ver 1.10b).

Settings are as follows for game setup and ai.

SETUP-
[ATTACH]2845[/ATTACH]

AI SETTINGS-
[ATTACH]2846[/ATTACH]

GAME PLAY- As CSA, Scenario- Struggle for the Heartland, 1862

I will be doing this AAR from a first person point of view in letter form and screen shots. I chose Struggle for the Heartland so we could get into the action a little faster, even though it means I do not hold Nashville and have little chance of taking Kentucky.

I hope you enjoy it, and I will be posting regular updates as I can.

- Captain Matt
Columbus, GA

=========================================================
March 15, 1862
Richmond, Virginia

To the Honorable Judah P. Benjamin, Secretary of War

Mr. Secretary-
After a lengthly consultation was General Cooper and General Lee, I have decided to slightly reorganize our force structure throughout the country.

In the Army of Northern Virginia, a three corps structure is most beneficiary. I Corps under Longstreet, with JEB Stuart and WP Alexander. II Corps under Jackson, with Taliafarro and Ewell. III Corps under G.W. Smith, with Bonham and DH Hill.

Have Ewell move by rail to meet General Jackson as he advances on Winchester. Longstreet, Smith, and General Johnston commanding the Army are to move on Manassas Junction with the purpose of securing that place. Have General Holmes and General Walker also move to Manassas from Fredericksburg to meet and become part of the ANV, with division placement to be determined by General Johnston. Leave behind Wise's brigade to act as a garrison inside Fredericksburg. Also, please issue orders to General Edward Johnson to also bring his unit to Manassas.

On the Peninsula, have General Magruder report to the War Department for further assignment along with the 1st Georgia Sharpshooters. The rest of the forces there are to be given to General David R. Jones for the purpose of forming a division.

In Norfolk, order General Huger to hold his position and consolidate his forces for the time being with the local garrison.

[ATTACH]2848[/ATTACH]

General Walker is awaiting the arrival of an additional brigade at Goldsboro, North Carolina. Dispatch General Gregg's brigade and the Caroline Battery from Charleston to meet with General Walker. From there, General Walker should move his division into the Richmond area and arrive on or about the 10th of April.

In the West, the priority must be retaking the Tennessee capitol, Nashville. In order for that to occur, we must place ourselves in a position to threaten that position. As such, General E.K. Smith's Division will move by rail from Knoxville to the Franklin area, just south of Nashville. To support him, General Nathan Bedford Forrest will cross the Tennessee River at Savannah and move to Maury, Tennessee.

General A.S. Johnston will organize his army into three Corps as well. I Corps under General Breckenridge, II Corps under General Hardee, and III Corps under General Bragg. General Breckinridge will move North with his Corps and defend the area around Jackson, Tennessee south of Humbolt. The other two Corps, and the army HQ will move to the area around Lauderdale, Alabama, just south of Pulaski Tennessee. From this position, General Johnston should be in a position to support the attack on Nashville.

[ATTACH]2849[/ATTACH]

In the Trans-Mississippi, General McColluch is to be given command of all cavalry and General Price to be given all the Infantry and artillery under the overall command of general VanDorn. General Waite and General McColluch will attempt a force march and go around the Federal forces in an attempt to capture Springfield and hold that place. General VanDorn and General Price will hold in Arkansas.

[ATTACH]2850[/ATTACH]

Please implement these changes and dispatch these orders as soon as practicable.

Signed-
Jefferson Davis, President

==========================================================

March 15, 1862
Richmond, Virginia

To the Honorable Stephen R. Mallory, Secretary of the Navy

Secretary Mallory-
In reply to your letter of the 14th instant, I have reconsidered my decision to embargo the cotton and restrict blockade running. As such, please immediately dispatch all available runners to ports in the Gulf and the Atlantic.

In addition, please consolidate our forces on the Western waters at Columbus, Kentucky and New Orleans, Louisiana. Also, investigate the possibility of beginning construction on further ironclad vessels next month.

Signed-

March 15, 1862
Richmond, Virginia

To the Honorable Christopher Memminger, Secretary of the Treasury

Mr. Secretary-
I have ordered that a 5% War Bond be issued, along with Measured Exceptional Taxes. This will give us a total of 308,000 in the Treasury in addition to the current funds that we have.

Furthermore, I have asked for Volunteers to recruit more regiments. I have authorized the Secretary of War to raise 4 regiments of infantry replacements (1 Elite, 3 Line), 2 troops of cavalry replacements, and 2 artillery battery replacements. In addition, I have written to the Governors of Virginia, Tennessee, Missouri, Mississippi, and Arkansas about recruiting new brigades. I have asked for 5 brigades of Infantry from each of those states, and 1 cavalry regiment and 1 artillery battery from Tennessee. I hope to have these units ready for field service by the beginning of May.

Please contact the Southern Railroad and inquire as to the possibility of expanding the railroad capacity. (+20)
<insert economics>

Signed-

Attachments
3 15 62 TM orders.JPG
3 15 62 West orders.JPG
3 15 62 East orders.JPG
game ai.JPG
game setup.JPG

GShock

Sat May 31, 2008 4:18 pm

Yes 1.10b u are up to date. If i may give you an advice, try to resize the pictures size so that they don't deform the page in the browser and everyone will be happy to watch this AAR.

1024x768 is a good size for everyone though most have much higher resolutions available. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

captainmatt
Sergeant

Mid March Results

Sat May 31, 2008 5:10 pm

March 24, 1862
Gen. N.B. Forrest Division HQ
Savannah, TN

To: The Honorable Judah P. Benjamin, Secretary of War

Mr. Secretary-
I have the honor to report a victory over Federal forces yesterday after crossing the Tennessee River and moving towards Savannah, Tennessee.

The Federals had about 2000 mounted troops to our 3000. After a few hours of fighting, the enemy withdrew to the North. Nightfall prevented me from following up the days victory.

Our losses are about 200 men. The enemy lost twice that in men and horses. My command will continue moving towards the vicinity of Maury.

Yr. obedient servant-
N. B. Forrest, Brigadier General

[ATTACH]2851[/ATTACH]

March 25, 1862

To: Brigadier General N.B. Forrest

Sir-
Congratulations to you and your command on your recent victory. As of yesterday, I have resigned my post as Secretary of War. The President has decided to appoint George Randolph of Virginia in that post. Please address all further war correspondence to him.

Regards-
J.P. Benjamin

April 1, 1862

To: Brigadier General William W. Loring

General Loring-
You are hereby ordered to report for duty to General Albert S. Johnston, commanding the Army of Mississippi near Pulaski, Tennessee.

Signed-
George W. Randolph,
Secretary of War

April 1, 1862

To: Brigadier General E.K. Smith

General Smith-
Proceed with all possible speed to the city of Nashville with the intention of recapturing that city. General Forrest will arrive on or about April 15th with his command to support you.

General Johnston's Army should be in the vicinity of Maury, Tennessee in force within the same time period.

Signed-
George W. Randolph,
Secretary of War

April 1, 1862
HQ, Maj. Gen. J.C. Breckinridge
Jackson, Tennessee

To General A.S. Johnston, commanding, Army of Mississippi
Florence, Alabama

General-

I have urgent news on the location of enemy forces. General Halleck and General Sherman are at Fort Henry with perhaps 20,000 men. General Grant and General McClernand have moved South to Decaturville with around 35,000 men. General Buell is at Clarksville, Tennessee with a force of unknown size.

My command has less then 27,000 men, and even though we are in a defensive posture at this place, the enemy now adjacent to us outnumbers me more then 2:1.

The enemy has not yet attempted to move towards Humboldt, Tennessee, so I am dispatching Colonel Lindsey and the 1st Mississippi Cavalry regiment to the are to act as a scouting party to try and determine the enemy intentions.

Please inform me as to your dispositions so I can make the necessary adjustments in my defense.

Yr. obedient servant-
J. C. Breckinridge, Major General

[ATTACH]2852[/ATTACH]

April 1, 1862
To: Brig. General John G. Walker, Goldsboro, NC

General Walker-
Please move by rail with all possible speed to this place for the purpose of defending the capitol.

Respectfully-
J.B. Magruder

April 1, 1862
HQ, Army of Northern Virginia
Manassas, Virginia

To: Honorable George W. Randolph, Secretary of War

Mr. Secretary-
Two Corps of my Army has now taken up positions in the area around Manassas junction. General Jackson's command remains in the area of Shenandoah and General Ewell's division has joined him.

My scouts have spotted two unarmed supply wagons in the area of Loudon, and I am dispatching a cavalry unit to attempt to capture them.

The Federals have at least six corps at Alexandria under the command of General McClellan. They have not shown any signs of movement yet, but that could change.

My command will maintain a defensive posture for the time being unless ordered to do otherwise.

Signed-
J.E. Johnston, General, commanding;
Army of Northern Virginia

[ATTACH]2853[/ATTACH]

April 1, 1862
HQ, Army of the West
Fayetteville, Arkansas

To: General B. McCollouch

Sir-
In conjunction with General Waite, attack the enemy garrison at Springfield, Missouri and secure that town for the Confederate States.

My command and General Price will defeat the enemy here and then drive them back into the interior of Missouri.

In the meantime, I have ordered the loyal Indians north into the Kansas Territory to cause havoc among the populace in that area.

Signed-
E. VanDorn, General, commanding;
Army of the West

[ATTACH]2854[/ATTACH]

April 1, 1862
Richmond, VA

To: Secretary of War Randolph

Mr. Secretary-
We were most successful in recruiting new forces last month, and I hope that we can continue in that trend this month. Please contact the governors of Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri, and Virginia and ask them to raise additional brigades this month.

I look forward to seeing your report.

Signed-
J. Davis, President

[ATTACH]2855[/ATTACH]

Attachments
4 1 62 SOW options.JPG
4 1 62 TM orders.JPG
4 1 62 East orders.JPG
4 1 62 West orders.JPG
3 23 62 battle.JPG

captainmatt
Sergeant

Sat May 31, 2008 5:11 pm

GShock wrote:Yes 1.10b u are up to date. If i may give you an advice, try to resize the pictures size so that they don't deform the page in the browser and everyone will be happy to watch this AAR.

1024x768 is a good size for everyone though most have much higher resolutions available. :)

How do I do that? Right now I am copying my screen shots into paint and saving it as a jpg. How can I resize them?

-- Matt

GShock

Sat May 31, 2008 5:41 pm

download a free program called paint.net which will be useful for any sort of madness you can do now and in the next 1000 years. It's an easy and totally free program. U may then resize the jpg in any pixel or resolution you like :)

If you take the SS with the printscreen button, i suggest you download fraps. Nonessential for SS only but great if u also want to capture vids. It's free prog too. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

captainmatt
Sergeant

Early April Returns

Sat May 31, 2008 9:15 pm

April 15, 1862
HQ, General Joseph E. Johnston
Manassas, Virginia

To: Honorable William Randolph, Secretary of War
Richmond, Va

Mr. Secretary-

The situation in Northern Virginia has changed drastically over the past two weeks. General McClellan, General McDowel, and General Sumner with some 40,000 men have taken position in Winchester and are threatening my left flank, however General Jackson is still holding in the Shenandoah area.

In the meantime, General Heintzelman with four divisions has moved to Stafford, Virginia and is threatening my right flank. A very large force under General Keyes remains to my front at Alexandria, with perhaps, 100,000 men.

I would like to request more troops be sent to my command from Richmond, perhaps to the area around Fredericksburg to prevent General Heintzelman from moving any further south.

We were able to capture two corps supply wagon trains in Loudon, and will be adding them to our own supply trains upon their arrival here at Manassas.

I await further instructions.

Your obedient servant-
J.E. Johnston, General

[ATTACH]2856[/ATTACH]

April 15, 1862
HQ, Brigadier General E.K. Smith
Franklin, Tennessee

To: General A.S. Johnston, commanding
Army of Mississippi

Sir-
I regret to inform you that my recent attempt to capture the city of Nashville has failed. As I approached the city, I found that recent reports of only garrison troops present was false. There was, instead, two Federal divisions under General Buell already in the city. They were preparing for a defense, almost as if they knew we were approaching the city.

Seeing that we were outnumbers some 4 to 1, I choose to withdraw south back to my previous supply base near Franklin, Tennessee.

Yesterday, General Forrest and his men were engaged in a fight West of the city. I believe he was forced to withdraw as well. There are currently not enough men in this area to successfully take the city. However, if your command could come at once to this place, I believe we could be successful in taking the city. Please inform me as to your intentions.

Your obedient servant-
E.K. Smith, Brigadier General

[ATTACH]2857[/ATTACH]

April 15, 1862
Springfield, Missouri

To: General E. VanDorn

General-

I have the honor to report the capture of the city of Springfield, Missouri. Our losses were slight, about 100 men. The entire enemy garrison of 688 men was killed or captured. General Waite is here as well. We await further orders.

Respectfully-
Ben McCulloch, commanding

[ATTACH]2858[/ATTACH]

April 15, 1862
Eagle Factory & Mill
Columbus, GA

To: The Honorable Jefferson Davis, President

Mr. President-
In response to your letter and generous supply of funds, we have decided to expand our factory, and hire more workers to assist in the war making capability of the state of Georgia and of the Confederacy as a whole.

We will keep you updated on our progress.

Sincerely and respectfully yours-
G.C. Woodruff, President, Eagle Mills

Attachments
4 15 62 TM orders.jpg
4 15 62 West orders.jpg
4 15 62 East orders.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Late April Results

Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:42 pm

April 26, 1862
HQ, J.C. Pemberton's Division
Charleston, SC

To: The Honorable President Jefferson Davis,
Confederate White House, Richmond, Virginia

Mr. President-

It is my duty to inform you of an attack made under the forces of General Burnside at this place yesterday. Our forces were outnumbered in the fight 2:1, and even though it appeared at first that the enemy might withdraw from the fight, events occurred which did not favor us, and we were forced to withdraw under the cover of darkness leaving behind a garrison in the city itself.

I have sent an urgent request to Savannah for forces from that command to be sent to this area immediately. As soon as they arrive, I will move to attack the Federal forces that are now laying siege to Charleston and drive them back to their base of operations near the coast.

My intelligence in the area is very poor, and I would like to request additional regiments of cavalry for the purpose of scouting.

Yr. obedient servant-
J.C. Pemberton, Maj. Gen., cmdng

[ATTACH]2891[/ATTACH]

April 27, 1862
HQ, J.C. Breckinridge's Corps
Madison, Tennessee

To: Honorable George W. Randolph, Secretary of War;
Confederate War Department, Richmond, Virginia

Mr. Secretary-

I have the honor to report that we have won a victory over Federal forces yesterday on the outskirts of Madison, Tennessee. An Army under the command of General Grant approached very early in the morning, but the pickets in front of my Corps were very attentive and gave adequate warning of his advance upon this place.

The enemy first assaulted my right flank, but an adequate reserve was brought up to reinforce that area and the Federal attacked had failed by midday. About 2 o'clock, another enemy force appeared directly in my front and proceeded to assault my troops, which were dug in on good ground.

After two hours of intense fighting, the Federals withdrew and sent out cavalry to cover their retreat. From all accounts, the enemy force outnumbered my troops by about 10,000 men. Exact casualties at this time are not known, but I estimate that we killed or wounded about 6,000 of the enemy, while suffering about 4,500 casualties.

General Grant's forces withdrew East towards Decaturville, but I have heard rumors that another Federal force under General McClernand is advancing towards us from the West. I will dispatch a regiment of cavalry to investigate.

Respectfully-
J.C. Breckinridge, Major General

[ATTACH]2886[/ATTACH]

May 1, 1862
War Department
Richmond, Virginia

To: General R.E. Lee

General Lee-

By order of the President, you are to report to the HQ, Army of Northern Virginia, and assume command of said Army immediately.

Signed-
George W. Randolph,
Secretary of War

May 1, 1862
War Department,
Richmond, Virginia

To: General Joseph E. Johnston, commanding
The Army of Northern Virginia

General-
By order of the President, General Robert E. Lee will be assuming command of the Army of Northern Virginia. Upon his arrival, please report to Richmond for a briefing your new command, the Army of the West.

Signed-
George W. Randolph,
Secretary of War

May 1, 1862
Robert E. Lee, commanding

To: Honorable President Jefferson Davis

Mr. President-
I am pleased to report that I have assumed command of this army today from General Joseph E. Johnston. The army is currently divided into three Corps, Longstreet, Jackson, and G.W. Smith.

The Army HQ, and two Corps are presently near Manassas, Virginia. I understand that reinforcements from the capitol are on their way here, that is good news.

The only orders I have issued were to a cavalry brigade that is currently in Loudon. I have ordered them to cross over into Maryland in an attempt to disrupt Union supply which is running from Washington DC towards Winchester, which the enemy currently holds.

I have ordered all my commanders to my HQ so that a council of war may be held to assist me in determining the best course of action for this area.

I remain, your obedient servant-
Robert E. Lee, General

[ATTACH]2887[/ATTACH]

May 1, 1862
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Maury, Tennessee

To: President Jefferson Davis,
Confederate White House
Richmond, Virginia

Mr. President-

Per your directive of March 15th of this year, my command is now in place to make an attack on the capitol of Tennessee, Nashville. General Bragg will lead one Corps, and General Beauregard will lead the other. General Hardee has been reassigned to this HQ as my Chief of Staff.

I have dispatched General Forrest to Savannah, Tennessee to reform and expand his division. I hope to have him under my command in the near future and perhaps use his skills behind the lines to raid Union supply bases in Kentucky.

May God go with us on our endeavor.

Your friend-
A.S. Johnston, General, commanding;
Army of Mississippi

[ATTACH]2892[/ATTACH]

May 1, 1862
HQ, Army of the West
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mr. Secretary-

Federal forces under the command of General Curtis have returned to the area around Springfield, Missouri and are attempting to engage General McColluch there.

I, along with General Price's division, are moving with all possible speed to reinforce General McColluch and his command. Please inform General Johnston to meet us in Springfield, as I am supremely confident that we can drive the enemy from that place.

Respectfully-
E. VanDorn, General

May 1, 1862
HQ, Brig. Gen. W.W. Loring
Jackson, Mississippi

To: General Albert S. Johnston, commanding
Army of Mississippi

General Johnson-
I have arrived in Jackson, per your orders, and have taken command of Baldwin's brigade, composed of four infantry regiments and a battery of light artillery. I am moving with them by rail to Vicksburg in the morning to secure that city from the Union force of unknown size that has moved down the river. I will report back to you when I have further information in the enemy's strength, makeup, and disposition.

I am, your obedient servant-
W.W. Loring, Brigadier General

[ATTACH]2893[/ATTACH]

Attachments
5 1 62 Union Mississippi.jpg
5 1 62 West orders.jpg
4 25 62 Charleston battle.jpg
5 1 62 East orders.jpg
4 25 62 Madison battle.jpg

GShock

Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:14 pm

You've just arrived and you're producing an extraordinary AAR, excellent job! :coeurs:
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

captainmatt
Sergeant

Thanks

Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:30 am

Thank you very much, I appreciate it! :sourcil:

More to follow.

- Capt. Matt

captainmatt
Sergeant

Early May Results

Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:41 am

May 4, 1862
HQ, Brigadier General Roswell Ripley's command
Charleston, South Carolina

To: Major General J.C. Pemberton

Sir-

I have positioned my regiments in line of battle and awaited further instructions from you as to how to proceed further. When no such message reached me, I took the initiative to commence the assault with excellent results. My command, along with General Smith and General Mercer were successful on our attack on the enemy in the Charleston area.

After the attack, I was able to determine that we were actually outnumbered by the enemy, who were being led by Brigadier General Isaac Stevens. Casualties for our side numbered about 1500 killed or wounded, while the enemy lost over 2500 men killed or wounded, and the rest were forced to retire.

I look forward to serving under your command upon your arrival here.

Respectfully-
R.S. Ripley, commanding

[ATTACH]2896[/ATTACH]

May 7, 1862
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Hickman, Tennessee

Confederate White House,
Richmond, Virginia

Mr. President-
Our forces were heavily engaged yesterday near the city of Nashville in an attempt to capture that place. Our intelligence estimated that there were less then 20,000 Federal troops in the area. General Bragg's Corps led the assault, with General Beauregard's command in reserve.

Just when it appeared that General Bragg's corps would prevail, the enemy was able to deploy reinforcements to both his flanks. I then instructed General Beauregard to extend the line and attack once more. An intense fight erupted which lasted for several hours, with both sides exchanging heavy musket and artillery fire.

At dark, the enemy retreated from the field of battle and occupied defensive positions inside the city. My command was so exhausted and disorganized from the fight that afternoon that we were unable to pursue the enemy, and the next day, we fell back towards the town of Hickman.

Casualties for both sides were about 15,000 each, some 30% of my command. We now estimate the Federals, under General Buell, had as many or more troops then we had, but credit must be given to the soldiers and officers under my command for performing so well this day.

General Grant's command, which is now at Decaturville on the Tennessee, may now number as many as 30,000 men. General Breckinridge is still holding near Madison, Tennessee, but not sure how long his position will be tenable. I have heard news of General Pope moving down the West side of the Mississippi river into upper Arkansas and is, perhaps, making a move for Memphis.

General Forrest is reconstituting his command near Savannah, Tennessee, and should be ready for offensive operations within two weeks.

General Loring in Vicksburg reports that General Thomas is now in the region of Vicksburg with two small divisions. He has requested a brigade from Jackson to help him and I have granted his request.

Overall, my command is in manageable shape, however, replacements are needed for my army, and reinforcements are needed across the theater. Is there anything you can do to get me more trained soldiers?

As of this moment, I am instructing my men to construct a depot at this location so I can continue to separate the two Federal commands in this state. Until such a time as my army is able to resume the offensive, I have instructed both of my Corps commanders to dig in and hold our positions.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Your friend and servant-
A.S. Johnston, commanding

[ATTACH]2897[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2898[/ATTACH]
May 15, 1862
Manassas, Virginia

To: Honorable Secretary of War George W. Randolph

Mr. Secretary-
After the recent meeting at my Headquarters, I have decided to try and improve upon our position at this place. I have instructed General Jackson to advance and capture Winchester, and to send a detachment to scout Harpers Ferry and attempt to capture that place as well.

I have instructed General Longstreet and General Smith to reinforce their positions here. I await further instructions from your department.

R. E. Lee, General, commanding

[ATTACH]2899[/ATTACH]

May 15, 1862
HQ, Army of the West;
General J.E. Johnston commanding
Cassville, Missouri

To: Secretary of War George W. Randolph

Mr. Secretary-
Upon my recent arrival at this place, I was informed that both the commands of General McColluch and General Waite were shattered by repeated Federal assaults. Both men were wounded in the arm, General Waite's was not as serious as General McColluch's.

General VanDorn and General Price moved quickly on Springfield and retook that city, ousting the Federals. I have instructed General Van Dorn to continue in his persuit of the enemy. It is my desire to drive General Curtis and his forces back to Rolla, where our Indian allies should be waiting to ambush him.

Sincerely-
J.E. Johnston, commanding;
Army of the West

[ATTACH]2900[/ATTACH]

Attachments
5 15 62 TM orders.jpg
5 15 62 East orders.jpg
5 15 62 West orders.jpg
5 6 62 Nashville Battle.jpg
5 4 62 Charleston Battle.jpg

Jabberwock

Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:14 am

GShock wrote:You've just arrived and you're producing an extraordinary AAR, excellent job! :coeurs:

+1. This is excellent.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

captainmatt
Sergeant

Late May Results

Fri Jun 06, 2008 3:48 am

May 17, 1862
HQ, Army of the West
Springfield, Missouri
7:30AM

To: The Honorable George W. Randolph, Secretary of War

Mr. Secretary-

I have the honor to report that this army has defeated a much larger Federal force under the command of General Curtis yesterday afternoon, and that I have secured the town of Springfield, Missouri.

The Federals attacked us first with two divisions, one under General Carr and the other under General Asboth, apparently to test our strength. I sent out a strong skirmish line, and instructed General Mouton to position our artillery on a ridge that was obstructed from the view of the enemy.

By the time our artillery was in position, the Federals had fallen back and were preparing to assault us again, believing that we were not as strong as we actually were. By four in the afternoon, the Federal assault began, but instead of hitting us in the front, he attacked our right flank.

However, General Price was ready for the attack, and despite heavy losses in his Missouri units, successfully drove the enemy off. They then retreated under cover of darkness and left the field to us. Our numbers of killed and wounded are about 1000, the enemy with a similar number of casualties.

I now believe the enemy has moved to the West towards Carthage, Missouri. I have word from General Quantrill who writes that he, and our Indian allies have successfully captured Rolla and Jefferson City. I have instructed him to move a part of his force closer to St. Louis and destroy the rail line there to prevent the enemy from moving up more supplies and manpower.

I believe that General Curtis still has a large amount of supply on hand, but we may be able to hurt his offensive capabilities if we are able to block further resupply to his army.

For now, I intend to fortify my position at this place and await further reinforcements from either Arkansas, Missouri, or Tennessee.

I remain, your obedient servant,
Joseph E. Johnston, commanding;
Army of the West

[ATTACH]2913[/ATTACH]

May 20, 1862
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Hickman, Tennessee
8:00 PM

Confederate White House;
Richmond, Virginia

Mr. President-

A great victory over the enemy was won at this place today. General Buell attempted to attack my command, perhaps believing we were weakened from our recent fight for Nashville. Much to his surprise, we were not.

After finishing the construction of a supply depot, I ordered Gen'l Bragg's Corps to take up defensive positions along the Nashville Turnpike which leads into Hickman from the Northeast. I then instructed Gen'l Beauregard to take up positions on Bragg's left flank and positioned my HQ directly between them to better be able to coordinate any battle that might occur.

Three days ago, my cavalry reported that General Buell was on the move, and my Army was ready for him. The fight lasted most of the day, and initial reports are that his command lost, perhaps, 20% of the forces engaged, or some 4,500 men, while my command reports a loss of about 2,500 men.

I would have been eager to follow up on our victory, however, just before the commencement of the fight, Colonel Avery of Avery's Georgia Cavalry regiment reported that General Grant's Army would be arriving in Nashville within the week, perhpas to reinforce Gen'l Buell, or to make another attempt on my positions here. Either way, I do not feel like I have sufficient forces to resume the offensive at this time.

I will send a more detailed report of the day's actions once I receive reports from my subordinates.

I remain, your friend,
General A.S. Johnston

[ATTACH]2914[/ATTACH]

May 26, 1862
HQ, 10th Tennessee Cavalry
Fort Henry, Tennessee
4:30PM

To: Maj. Gen. J.C. Breckinridge

General-

My command, along with Colonel Ashby's Cavalry, was able to rout the small enemy garrison at this place. Per your instructions, we will destroy the depot here, as well as the local rail lines and then move south towards Decaturville.

We also heard news that General Grant's forces passed this way not three days ago on their way to Nashville.

It is my belief that since we have now routed this small garrison, there are no enemy troops of any significant amount in this part of Tennessee between the Tennessee and the Mississippi rivers.

Yr. obedient servant-
Colonel G. Bourbon, commanding;
10th Tennessee Volunteer Cavalry

[ATTACH]2915[/ATTACH]

June 1, 1862
HQ, General W.W. Loring's Division
Vicksburg, Mississippi

To: General A.S. Johnston

General-
It appears that General Thomas has begun a movement north, perhaps to make a move on Memphis from the south. I am moving my command this evening on the rail lines toward Grenada in an attempt to intercept and engage his command, which I believe we outnumber by a 2:1 ratio.

If at all practicable, could General Forrest and his division be sent to the area as well in hopes of trapping and destroying this enemy force?

I urgently await your reply.

Signed-
W.W. Loring, General

[ATTACH]2916[/ATTACH]

June 1, 1862
Manassas, Virginia

To: Honorable Secretary of War, George W. Randolph

Mr. Secretary-

I have to honor to report that Genera Jackson's Corps has captured both Winchester and Harpers Ferry, Virginia. I have dispatched General J.E.B. Stuart with cavalry to General Jackson for his use. I have also advised him to move his Corps to Harpers Ferry, as it is currently in Winchester.

Also, news reached me this morning of a Federal force of unknown size in the lower Shenandoah Valley near Charlottesville. I have sent General Ambrose P. Hill and a "Light Division" by rail to the area to seek out and engage the Federal forces there.

According to a recent report, the Federals have concentrated their command in the area of Alexandria, some six Federal Corps under the overall command of General McClellan. Not counting General Hill and General Stuart, I have about 100,000 men under my command. General Jackson has about 20,000 now at Winchester and is moving North. General Longstreet and General Smith each have about double that number here around Manassas.

With such a large Federal force arrayed before me, I feel it unwise to take the offensive with my main body at this time. However, it is possible that General Jackson and General Stuart can disrupt the enemy in the Western part of Maryland or even in Southern Pennsylvania in the coming months.

I am, your humble and obedient servant-
General R.E. Lee, commanding

[ATTACH]2917[/ATTACH]

Attachments
6 1 62 East orders.jpg
6 1 62 Mississippi orders.jpg
6 1 62 West orders.jpg
5 20 62 Depot Battle.jpg
5 16 62 Springfield battle.jpg

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:53 am

Magnifique AAR!
Interesting and pleasing to read.

I look forward to read more

Korrigan
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

GShock

Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:11 am

Eh...Buell's position looks very strong...you're starting to feel the pressure eh?! :)

Carry on and good luck!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

captainmatt
Sergeant

Sat Jun 07, 2008 12:29 am

GShock wrote:Eh...Buell's position looks very strong...you're starting to feel the pressure eh?! :)

Carry on and good luck!

Actually, I am more concerned with my situation in Virginia right now, McClellan has an awful lot of men! Conservatively estimate that I am outnumbered at least 2:1 in Virginia, but for now, I think the numbers in Tennessee are more even.

-- Capt. Matt

captainmatt
Sergeant

Early June Returns

Sat Jun 07, 2008 4:29 am

June 6, 1862
Manassas, Virginia
8:15PM

To: Honorable President Jefferson Davis

Mr. President-

The General commanding wishes to report a great victory over the Yankee invader that was fought earlier today. A large force, apparently under the command of General Butterfield, approached our well entrenched positions around Manassas Junction and attacked us.

It was a very bloody affair. The enemy troops repeatedly attacked our well defended positions, and could never seem to get around our flanks, which were well protected.

Many enemy dead and wounded were left on the field. Initial estimates indicate that they could have lost as many as 12,000 men while our casualties were less then 3,500. The General wishes to complement both General Longstreet and General Smith on their conduct and the conduct of their troops during the battle today.

While the enemy withdrew this evening, there are still a considerable number of Federal troops in the area. General Lee will submit an official report soon.

Your most humble and obedient servant-
Robert H. Chilton, Colonel, Chief of Staff

[ATTACH]2925[/ATTACH]

June 10, 1862
HQ, Army of the West
Springfield, MO

Mr. Secretary-
My command was again attacked yesterday by forces under the command of General Curtis. General VanDorn and General Price performed their duties admirably, and the enemy was repulsed.

Again we were outnumbered by some 10,000 men, but managed to inflict about 2,000 total casualties upon the enemy while suffering around 1,500 casualties.

The enemy has again retreated West. I am in desperate need of reinforcements and am unsure how long I will be able to hold this position under repeated threats of Federal attack.

Signed-
J.E. Johnston, General, commanding

[ATTACH]2926[/ATTACH]

June 12, 1862
Manassas, Virginia

To: President Jefferson Davis

Mr. President-
Just a quick note to let you know we have won another great victory over the enemy, even more so then the battle fought last week at this place.

General McClellan was soundly defeated and completely failed to coordinate his attacks upon our positions.

His loss was in upwards of 14,000 men, while our loss was about 2,500 men. The enemy army has now lost over 25,000 men to our 5,000 men in the past week. I am in great hopes this will do much to advance the morale of the populace.

I am today dispatching orders to General Jackson to cautiously advance his command into Maryland and to send General Stuart on a raid into Pennsylvania to destroy the enemy's capacity to supply and reinforce his position in Virginia.

Your obedient servant-
General R.E. Lee, commanding

[ATTACH]2922[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2923[/ATTACH]

June 15, 1862
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Hickman, Tennessee
3:30 PM

To: His Excellency, President Jefferson Davis
Confederate White House, Richmond, Virginia

Mr. President-
I have now been able to confirm that General Grant and General Buell are both, indeed, in Nashville. There is also a Federal force of unknown size (perhaps a Corps) located in Clarksville, and General Rosecrans is at Bowling Green. I am dispatching two regiments of cavalry north to investigate and gather more information on these commands.

General Breckinridge reports that General Crittenden is in the region of Dyersburg, Tennessee with perhaps a large division. However, that appears to be the only Federal force of any size in that region of Tennessee. I am dispatching General Forrest and his cavalry command to the area around Covington, Tennessee in an attempt to prevent the Federals from moving any further South.

I am still awaiting reinforcements to my command and hope to resume the offensive by the end of the summer.

Your friend-
A.S. Johnston, General

[ATTACH]2924[/ATTACH]

Attachments
6 8 62 Springfield Battle.jpg
6 6 62 Manassas Battle.jpg
6 15 62 West orders.jpg
6 15 62 East orders.jpg
6 11 62 Manassas Battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Late June results

Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:54 am

June 19, 1862
HQ, Brig. Gen. David R. Jones
James City, Virginia

Mr. President-
I have the honor to report that a great victory was won here this morning over the enemy. Great credit is due to General Cobb, General Semmes, General Anderson, General Griffith, and General Kershaw who all performed above and beyond the call of duty.

In addition to capturing James City itself, we inflicted some 1,200 casualties upon the enemy and were able to capture two enemy transport ships, the "Albert" and the "Exmouth" which I will dispatch to Richmond as soon as I can. Our losses were about 250 men killed or wounded.

The enemy retreated in confusion to the East, but my command was unable to peruse the enemy very closely due to the large guns in place at the enemy stronghold at Fortress Monroe.

I await further orders.

David Rumph Jones, Brigadier General

[ATTACH]2941[/ATTACH]

June 27, 1862
Manassas, Virginia

To: Honorable Secretary George W. Randolph

Mr. Secretary-
There was a terrible and desperate battle fought here yesterday, and despite repeated assaults on my position, our army was completely victorious. The enemy lost his entire command, some 36,000 men while our loss was approximately 5,300.

I have never seen such determination in the face of overwhelming odds. Those people were totally committed to the offensive until they were no longer able. It was then that General Longstreet launched a well coordinated counter attack and completely destroyed the enemy.

All routes for retreat were cut off, the enemy was surrounded and demoralized. At 9:00PM last evening, General Sumner, who was in command of the force, offered his sword up for surrender.

During that occurrence, a member of my staff overheard a conversation amongst the enemy's staff regarding Federal dispositions in the Alexandria area. The enemy army is now composed of 5 Corps, with perhaps, 150,000 men. After the battle yesterday, my command numbers about 70,000 effectives at Alexandria, with another 25,000 in Maryland under the command of General Jackson and General Stuart.

I am dispatching a note to General Jackson to have him return to this side of the Potomac and take up position between this army and Winchester. If this army can engage in another battle such as this, I feel confident that we can take the war to the enemy.

I am, your obedient servant,
R.E. Lee, General, commanding

[ATTACH]2942[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2943[/ATTACH]

July 1, 1862
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Hickman, Tennessee

Mr. President-
The situation here has not changed much since our last communication, with the exception of more intelligence on the enemy.

General Halleck is reported now to have taken command at Clarksville of an unknown number of troops, perhaps a Corps sized element. General Grant and General Buell remain at Nashville with about 50,000 men.

I have ordered General Forrest to proceed to Paris, Tennessee to better position his command between my two Corps here and General Breckenridge just outside Jackson, Tennessee.

I urgently hope reinforcements are coming soon so we can resume the offensive.

I remain, your friend,
A.S. Johnston, General

[ATTACH]2944[/ATTACH]

Attachments
7 1 62 West orders.jpg
7 1 62 East orders.jpg
6 26 62 Manassas battle.jpg
6 19 62 Hampton Roads battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Early July 1862

Tue Jun 10, 2008 11:55 pm

July 9, 1862
Culpepper Court House, Virginia

War Department, Richmond, Virginia

Mr. Secretary-

A quick note to inform you of our withdrawal from the Manassas area south to the area around Culpepper for the moment. Yesterday, this army fought the largest battle we have yet been engaged in. The entire Army of the Potomac attacked Longstreet's and Smith's Corps. My force was well fortified and entrenched, and the Federals recklessly assaulted my positions time after time for several hours.

The Federal force engaged must have been in upwards of 140,000 men while my command entered the fight at around 80,000 effectives. We clearly won the fight, even though we suffered some 11,000 casualties, my staff estimates that we inflicted some 40,000 plus upon the enemy, thus perhaps destroying or capturing at least 1/3 of his force. It is the greatest single battle ever fought four our independence.

I have ordered General Jackson, General Longstreet, General Smith, and General Magruder to move their commands toward Manassas. I expect to find the enemy there, and destroy him in detail.

R.E. Lee, General, commanding

PS- I will make a more detailed report of the engagement in a few days.

[ATTACH]2957[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2958[/ATTACH]

July 15, 1862
HQ, N.B. Forrest's Division
Humbolt, Tennessee

To: General A.S. Johnston, commanding;
Army of Mississippi

General-
I am in receipt of your letters of the 12th instant and will endeavor to move my command south to the area near Jackson, Tennessee and will assist General Breckenridge as I can against the Yankees.

I am, your servant-
N.B. Forrest, Brigadier General

[ATTACH]2959[/ATTACH]

July 15, 1862
HQ, Army of the West
Springfield, Missouri

Confederate White House,
Richmond, Virginia

Mr. President-
General Curtis continues his presence close to this city, and clearly outnumbers my command by some 12,000 men or more, nearly double my force size. If no reinforcements can be sent to this place, then I believe I will be forced to withdraw into Northern Arkansas in hopes of receiving more manpower.

If, however, more men can be sent to bolster the size of this command in the next few weeks, it just may be possible to hold our position here in Southern Missouri. Please answer soon.

Signed-
J.E. Johnston, General, commanding
Army of the West

[ATTACH]2960[/ATTACH]

Attachments
7 15 62 TM orders.jpg
7 15 62 West orders.jpg
7 15 62 East orders.jpg
7 8 62 Battle of Manassas.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Thoughts

Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:01 am

Dear Readers-

Before I execute the next turn, I want your feedback on this AAR.

In your experience, how do you think the war is going for me so far?

Do you like the style of the AAR (letters between the President, Sec. War, and field commanders and staff)?

There is a new patch out (1.10c). I am afraid if I upgrade I will loose the integrity of the campaign. Is that true, or should I upgrade and go on?

Based on your experience, do you see any opportunities for me to take the war to the North?

Thank you for your readership.

-- Capt. Matt

Jabberwock

Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:12 am

I like the style. It is very informative (as well as entertaining) to see you look at situations both from the viewpoint of both the local commander and the central government.

You are turning the corner on northern aggression, performing better than history, and yes, you should be able to take the war to them eventually.

IMO, don't change horses in midstream (as far as upgrading). If you are using a stable version, no obvious bugs, don't take the chance that something wierd will happen to spoil your war.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:55 am

Yes your style is fresh. Keep the screenies comin' of course...I love those :coeurs:

I think you could deff. take the war north now that you've wooped "Little Mac" in the east. Baltimore would be a nice start :)

GShock

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:24 am

Great AAR and great style like Jab said. U've beaten McClellan in Manassas but it's not over yet...the federals will keep coming. :)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We ain't going down!

Carnium

Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:34 pm

Great AAR.
I have always played as the Union and this gives me some ideas how to play the confederates when I am ready for a new challenge.

captainmatt
Sergeant

Late July Results

Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:23 am

July 18, 1862
HQ, Army of the West
Forsythe, Missouri
7:45am

White House, Richmond, Virginia

Mr. President-
As I had feared, the superior numbered Union force has attacked my weakened command and forced us to withdraw from Springfield to the south. A few militia units refused to follow and decided to take up positions inside the city. I have not heard from them, and I fear they have either been captured, or the city is under siege.

My command now numbers less then 10,000 effectives. I have determined to move towards Fayetteville and defend that place, and hopefully have a place where new troops can be mustered and placed into service. Is there any possibility of recruiting more Indian cavalry units for my command? Also, can more troops from Texas be diverted to this command?

It is very difficult to accomplish any offensive operations with the limited resources that are now at my disposal. We will continue to engage the enemy, but if necessary, I will fall back to preserve the integrity of this army.

Signed,
J.E. Johnston, General

[ATTACH]2992[/ATTACH]

July 27, 1862
HQ, 1st Corps, ANV
Alexandria, Virginia
8:15AM

To: HQ, Army of Northern Virginia

General Lee-
I have the honor to report to you that my Corps, along with the Corps of General Smith were engaged in two large engagements in the past week.

The first battle, fought on the 20th, was a very fierce action against the bulk of Genr'l McClellan's Army. General Smith's forces began the attack early in the AM, and my Corps entered the action shortly after noon.

General McLaws's Division went in first and hit the Federals hard and rolled up their right flank. General Walker's Division came on line next and encountered some difficult terrain, but was able to follow up on McLaws' success. General Holmes' division was in reserve, but had to be employed almost directly behind General McLaws's men in the confusion of the general advance by our men.

At sunset, it was apparent that our men were again victorious. I estimate the Federal loss to be over 22,000 men, while our loss was slightly less then half of that at about 9,500 men.

I then ordered my command to pursue the enemy north towards Alexandria in an attempt to cut off their retreat. I engaged a force under General Butler that was approximately the same size as my own, however, the enemy was well entrenched.

The assaults of that day were not properly coordinated, with many of the commands still suffering from the battle at Manassas a few days earlier. There were several regiments being commanded by Captains, and a few brigades being commanded by Colonels, all of which had little to no experience at that level of command.

After a failed attempt to get around the enemy flank, we withdrew from combat and are now moving south back towards Manassas to consolidate the Army per your recent instructions.

I have heard from General Jackson, and General Smith who are now both at Manassas, and are just awaiting the arrival of my command. I feel certain that the next few days will determine the course of the war.

I remain, your humble and obedient servant-
Lt. Gen. James Longstreet, commanding, 1st Corps

[ATTACH]2993[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2994[/ATTACH]

August 1, 1862
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Hickman, Tennessee

Mr. Secretary-
My command is now moving into position to take the Tennessee capitol. I estimate our arrival in that area to be about a week. I have ordered General Loring out of Northern Mississippi to join General Breckenridge near Jackson, Tennessee.

General Breckenridge was engaged in a fierce fight a few days ago, but again was victorious over the enemy.

General Buell is in command of a large force at Decatur, which I feel will either try to move on General Breckenridge's position, or attempt to move down the river into Northern Alabama. Either way, I am confident that when we retake Nashville, we will seriously disrupt the Union supply in this region of the state.

General Grant is in command at Nashville, but a spy informs me that there are no more then 20,000 Federal troops currently around Nashville, while my command here is in excess of 50,000 men.

I hope that my next communication to you from me will be written from the Governor's desk in Nashville.

I remain, respectfully-
A.S. Johnston, General

[ATTACH]2995[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]2997[/ATTACH]

Attachments
8 1 62 West orders.jpg
7 28 62 Madison TN battle.jpg
7 24 62 Alexandria battle.jpg
7 20 62 Manassas battle.jpg
7 16 62 Springfield MO battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Early August, 1862

Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:01 am

August 15, 1862
Bragg's Corps HQ
Nashville, Tennessee
6:30AM

To: General A.S. Johnston, commanding
Army of Mississippi

General-
My command has successfully recaptured the capitol of Tennessee. I have dispatched Colonel Russell's Tennessee brigade to occupy the capitol, while I have positioned my Corps on the outskirts. Please come to this place with the remainder of the Army with all possible speed. There are many large enemy forces near this position, and I feel that they will be moving on my command soon.

Signed-
B. Bragg, Major General

[ATTACH]3007[/ATTACH]
August 15, 1862
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Hickman, Tennessee

Mr. President-
I forward to you this note sent to me the AM by Genr'l Bragg in Nashville. I am moving my command to that place immediately.

My scouts report that there are Federals forces in large numbers in many different areas of Tennessee. A large force was moved by Federal troops down the Tennessee river to an area north of Chattanooga. I have ordered General Richard Taylor to assume command in that city, and have ordered General Pemberton from Augusta with his command to that place.

General Sherman is reported to be West of my position and moving this way with a force of around 30,000 or more in four divisions.

General Pope is at Bowling Green, and General Halleck is East of him. Both forces are estimated to be about 25,000 or so men.

General Grant's position is unknown at this time, but he and his command were not in Nashville as we had expected.

General Loring successfully joined General Breckenridge's command last week, and I have instructed that command to move from Jackson to secure Decaturville on the Tennessee. General Forrest's command was detached to move north and secure Humbolt.

It is my desire to move into Kentucky as soon as practicable.

Your friend-
Albert S. Johnston, General

[ATTACH]3008[/ATTACH]

August 15, 1862
Manassas, Virginia
5:00PM

Mr. President-
My Army has now consolidated at this place and will soon be ready for action against the enemy. A small force of Federal troops is still in the area, but I believe they are in no position to offer sustained combat.

I have ordered General Hood to take command and form a division in Fredericksburg and have ordered General A.P. Hill to march up the valley towards Winchester.

Recent returns show the effective strength of my army now to be about 90,000 with the return of General Jackson and General Stuart to my command.

If General Hill can keep the Shenandoah free from the enemy, I would very much desire to keep General Smith here for defense and move North with General Jackson and General Longstreet's command.

Please advise on such a movement as soon as is convenient.

I remain, your humble and obedient servant-
R.E. Lee, General

[ATTACH]3010[/ATTACH]

August 15, 1862
HQ, Department of Georgia & South Carolina
Beaufort, South Carolina
7:15PM

To: Secretary of War George W. Randolph

Mr. Secretary-
As of this moment, I am moving with my command to the area near Burke County, on the Savannah River in Georgia. That is the last known location of General Burnside's command, which I intend to engage.

General Pemberton informed me that his division has been called to defend Chattanooga, and thus it is left to my command to drive General Burnside from Georgia. I currently have 15,000 men at my command, and estimate the enemy strength to be no more then 12,000.

I will write again as my command moves closer to the enemy position.

I remain, your servant-
William J. Hardee, commanding

[ATTACH]3009[/ATTACH]

August 15, 1862
Office of the Secretary of State
Richmond, Virginia

[ATTACH]3011[/ATTACH]

(Thought I would give all of you a look at the statistics from the campaign so far)

Attachments
8 15 62 objectives overview.jpg
8 15 62 East orders.jpg
8 15 62 carolina orders.jpg
8 15 62 West orders.jpg
8 15 62 Nashville battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Late August Results

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:10 am

August 23, 1862
Manassas, Virginia

To: Honorable Secretary of War, George W. Randolph

Mr. Secretary-
I have the honor to report that this army has again triumphed over the Federal forces invading our state. In two separate engagements this week, this army inflicted some 40,000 casualties upon the enemy while loosing 12,000 gallant soldiers and officers.

General Longstreet's command has suffered the brunt of the fighting, but the overall fighting spirit of this command remains excellent. It is only by the grace of God that none of my division or corps commanders were lost in the recent fighting.

I have ordered General A.P. Hill to move across the Potomac towards Hagerstown in order to secure that place for a general advance, which I hope to accomplish soon. I anticipate a movement towards the direction of the valley beginning on or about the 15th of this month.

I am officially recommending Brigadier General Daniel Harvey Hill for promotion to Major General. His conduct and bearing as a member of Smith's Corps has proven invaluable to this Army.

I have ordered General Hood to advance to Stafford in an attempt to guard the right flank of this army before it moves west.

Per your instructions, I will leave one corps behind in the Manassas area, and move with the other two and General Stuart's cavalry. I have not yet decided which corps to leave behind, but I may give some consideration to General Longstreet's Corps because of its recent heavy fighting.

Your humble and obedient servant-
R.E. Lee, General

[ATTACH]3012[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3013[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3015[/ATTACH]

=========================================================
August 29, 1862
HQ, Dept. of Geo. & S. Carolina
Burke Co., Geo

To: General Samuel Cooper, Adjutant General
Confederate War Department, Richmond, VA

General Cooper-
My command was heavily engaged with the enemy yesterday at this place. after a long day of combat, the enemy withdrew and retreated southeast along the river towards Savannah.
I have left a strong garrison in that city, along with a brigade at Hardeeville, so the enemy will have a difficult time in taking either of those two places. However, with the close proximity of the Federal Navy, it is always possible that the force that I engaged yesterday could be withdrawn with little difficulty by the enemy.
My command suffered almost 30% casualties, and I think it best that they take an opportunity to rest and requip themselves, this being the first combat for many of the units in my command.
If you desire that I should immediately follow the enemy, please respond and I will take measures to ensure that an effective pursuit is made. However, I feel that the enemy, which is operating unsupplied and deep in enemy country, will have no choice but to retreat to the coast, where they can easily be found.

Signed-
William J. Hardee, Major General

[ATTACH]3014[/ATTACH]

September 1, 1862
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Nashville, Tennessee

Confederate White House, Richmond, VA

Mr. President-
I write to you this evening from the desk of Governor Harris of Tennessee. He sends his kind regards and his thanks to you.

I am attempting to consolidate our positions here, while also attempting to cause the Federals to fall back into Kentucky with the two Corps under my command that are not present at Nashville.

General Pemberton's Corps with General Taylor, now at Chattanooga, has been ordered to Winchester Tennessee to retake that place and drive out the Unionists which have made a reconnaissance in force.

General Breckenridge has come out from behind his works at Jackson, and has captured Decatur. I have ordered him to cross the Tennessee and move north and retake Fort Donelson, which, as you know, commands the positions above the Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers. Without this vital position, I believe that the Federals will almost have to reorganize north of the Cumberland, which places this Army in a very good position to defend Middle Tennessee.

General Forrest is now outside of Humboldt and is guarding the left of Gen'rl Breckeridge's movement north. Further, I have dispatched General Buckner to Island No. 10 to take command of the troops there. We could use some larger guns to deter constant Union incursions up and down the Mississippi past the fortress.

I feel certain that in the next few weeks, we will be able to secure our gains and hold middle Tennessee indefinitely against the enemy.

Your friend,
A.S. Johnston, General

[ATTACH]3016[/ATTACH]

Attachments
9 1 62 West orders.jpg
9 1 62 East orders.jpg
8 28 62 Carolina battle.jpg
8 22 62 Manassas battle.jpg
8 16 62 Manassas battle.jpg

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Wonderful writing!

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:13 am

This AAR owns I must say! :hat:
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Mon Jun 16, 2008 3:56 am

W.Barksdale wrote:This AAR owns I must say! :hat:

Thank you for your kind words, General.

- Captain Matt

captainmatt
Sergeant

Early September Results

Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:48 am

September 10, 1862
Manassas, Virginia

Mr. Secretary-

This army was heavily engaged two days ago with the Federal Army of the Potomac. The forces engaged on each side were about the same.

Our forces remained entrenched around the Manassas Depot, which the Federals seem determined to take. After several failed attacks by the Union troops, I dispatched General D.H. Hill and his division to make a flank assault upon the Union line.

By 4pm, his men were in position, and along with General Stuart, came down heavily on the enemy's flanks, driving them back.

Our loss was heavy, approximately some 7,000 men. The enemy suffered heavily as well, leaving behind some 14,000 men as killed, wounded, or captured.

There is now a large Federal force in the area, perhaps as large as my own command. General Hood is coming here from Fredericksburg with his division to reinforce my command.

I have ordered General A.P. Hill to destroy the railroad north of the Potomac and hold his position near Hagerstown. I fear that if we do not move soon, that we will have lost a precious opportunity to take the fighting out of Virginia.

Per your instructions of the 4th instant, I have ordered General Smith to Richmond for further assignment in the west. General D.H. Hill has assumed command of his Corps.

Your obedient servant-
R.E. Lee, General

[ATTACH]3022[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3023[/ATTACH]

September 14, 1862
HQ, I Corps, Army of Mississippi
Fort Donelson, Tennessee

To: General A.S. Johnston
Commanding, AOM
Nashville, Tennessee

General-

I have the honor to report to you the capture of Fort Donelson on the Cumberland River. The Federal garrison that was here was routed. I am leaving the European brigade under the command of Colonel LaPorte in command here, and am dispatching General Hindman to Fort Henry to retake that place, and remain in the area to defend against further Federal incursions down the Cumberland or Tennessee Rivers.

I am leaving this place on or about the 15th with General Loring's and General Cheatham's Divisions and marching to rejoin your command at Nashville. I hope to arrive on or about the 25th.

General Forrest informs me that he is advancing his command to the area near Columbus, Kentucky to harass any Federal troops there, and to raid the depot if it found to be lightly guarded.

I look forward to dining with you in the state capitol.

I am, your servant,
J.C. Breckenridge, Major General

[ATTACH]3024[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3025[/ATTACH]

September 15, 1862
HQ, Army of the West
Fayetteville, Arkansas

Mr. President-

I have received news this morning of the fall of Little Rock to General Thomas. I am moving the Army HQ towards Fort Smith, and am sending reinforcements to Malvern, Arkansas with the intent of forming a force there to move north and retake Little Rock before the Federals can reinforce their positions.

Can an experienced commander be sent from the East to take command of the new forces gathering at Malvern?

I am holding General VanDorn's Corps at Fayetteville for the purpose of holding Northern Arkansas against General Curtis.

Signed-
J.E. Johnston, General

[ATTACH]3026[/ATTACH]

Attachments
9 15 62 TM orders.jpg
9 15 62 West orders.jpg
9 13 62 Ft Donelson battle.jpg
9 15 62 East orders.jpg
9 7 62 Manassas battle.jpg

captainmatt
Sergeant

Late September Results

Thu Jun 19, 2008 3:10 am

September 17, 1862
Manassas, Virginia
3:30PM

To: Honorable Secretary of War George W. Randolph

Mr. Secretary-
The fortunes of war have again shined upon this army. In another fierce battle yesterday, this army performed magnificent service. As before, General McClellan's forces were determined to attack our entrenchments, and as before, we repulsed those people with heavy losses. The fight lasted most of the day, and into the early evening hours. General Longstreet, General Jackson, and General D.H. Hill all performed valuable service in the recent conflict. Overall, our casualties were about 8,000 men. The enemy lost double that amount, and perhaps more.

With our recent string of victories, I feel that it is now time to take this war across the Potomac and out of Virginia. Therefore, I have decided to leave the senior Corps commander, Lt. General Longstreet, here to guard the critical road to the capitol. He will have four divisions; Holmes, McLaws, Walker, and Taliaferro. The command returns show that this will be about 32,000 men.

The rest of the Army will proceed to the Valley, and then north to Harpers Ferry and across the Potomac. General Jackson's Corps, with Magruder's Division, Hood's Division, and J.E.B. Stuarts cavalry division will lead the way. General D.H. Hills' Corps with Ewell's Division, Johnson's Division, and Bonham's Division will be in the rear. In addition to those forces, I have ordered General A.P. Hill's division to rejoin the army after it crosses into Maryland, more specifically into General Jackson's Corps. Overall, this places about 72,000 effectives in the army that will be going north.

For now, our destination is near a crossroads in Adams County, Pennsylvania named Gettysburg. This will place the army in a position where it can threaten Harrisburg, York, Lancaster, Baltimore, and indirectly, the Federal capitol. It is my intent to draw the Union army out into the open where it can be destroyed and then move onto either Washington DC or Baltimore.

I will begin the necessary movement by the 30th of this month, once our supply situation is more clear. If you desire a different course of action, please write to me as soon as you can.

I remain, your humble and obedient servant,
R.E. Lee, General

[ATTACH]3046[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]3047[/ATTACH]

September 26, 1862
HQ, Dept. of S. Carolina and Georgia
Hinesville, Georgia

To: General Samuel Cooper, Adjutant General
War Dept., Richmond, VA

General Cooper-
After repairing the railroad line near Millen, my command moved South towards Statesboro, then continued on towards Hinesville where civilians reported there was a small enemy detachment.
I sent out a cavalry regiment to scout the enemy force and determined that my command was of sufficient size to defeat the Federals, so I commenced to attack. The battle was short, but fierce. The result was the complete destruction of the enemy. We took many prisoners and several supply wagons.
We determined that there were no more Federal troops in the area, and I am planning to return to Savannah and hope to retake Fort Pulaski and the barrier islands of Georgia by the end of the year.

Your servant, respectfully,
William J. Hardee, Major General

[ATTACH]3048[/ATTACH]

September 30, 1862
HQ, Army of Mississippi
Nashville, Tennessee

Mr. President-
I am in receipt of your letter of the 25th instant, and I completely agree that we need to attempt to intercept the enemy forces before they move to far south into Tennessee. Therefore, I am taking a chance and leaving Nashville with my entire army and moving West to engage forces under the command of General Halleck.

I have also written to General Hindman and General Forrest for their commands to join me near Humphreys County in the next week. With those forces, my command should number about 65,000 men. In order to hold Nashville, I have sent for 2nd Kentucky brigade from Gallatin to garrison the city. Governor Harris is not to pleased, but is contented in knowing that we leave to engage the enemy.

The only drawback with this movement is that General Pope is now sitting at Clarksville with a very large force, perhaps even as many as 100,000 men. I fear that they will move south to link up with General Halleck before I can engage Halleck's forces. I pray that that is not the case. I hope you are well, and will send you news of our impending victory.

Your friend-
Albert S. Johnston, General

[ATTACH]3049[/ATTACH]

October 1, 1862
HQ, Smith's Corps, Army of the West
Malvern, Arkansas

To: General J.E. Johnston

Sir-
It is a pleasure to once again be under your command, and I agree with your assessment that our job here will be much more difficult then the task that was before us in Virginia.

I am now attempting to gather my forces here at Malvern. I currently have less then 2,000 men under my command, but there are currently some 7,500 men on their way here, plus a battery of artillery from Mississippi. However, even with that force, I do not believe that I have sufficient manpower to retake Little Rock.

News has arrived that General Grant has now taken command in that city, and has, perhaps, three divisions under his command there. Is there anyway a Division from VanDorn's command can be moved to this location in the next six weeks? If not, is there a possibility of VanDorn's entire Corps moving towards Little Rock from the West and my command moving in from the south? Perhaps between our two commands, we can take back Little Rock.

I look forward to hearing from you, sir.

I remain, your obedient servant-
G.W. Smith, Major General

[ATTACH]3050[/ATTACH]

Attachments
10 01 62 Arkansas orders.jpg
10 01 62 West orders.jpg
9 25 62 Bulloch battle.jpg
10 01 62 East orders.jpg
9 16 62 Manassas battle.jpg

Return to “American Civil War AARs”