Turbo823
Captain

Tue May 06, 2008 10:00 pm

Rafiki wrote:I'm *really* not envying those transportation numbers of yours :D

Are there any Union threats on Nashville, or are things quiet around there?

It looks quiet but its hard to say as Athena is using the rivers aggressively and running by Fort Henry. Thats how she was able to take Corinth. It seems as through she is pulling Grant back north maybe to resupply him. And Grant can swing to attack Memphis or Nashville without too much effort, and likely take them as I have only 2 divisions (Polk and McColloch) defending that area. What I've regarding the power of rivers is frightening particularly if the Union gets some control of the Mississippi.

Jbeoddy
Conscript

Turbo823

Thu May 08, 2008 3:40 am

Been following this AAR, and I must congratulate you on a very thorough and well done job!

I have a couple of questions and an observation or two.

First, is it necessary to build replacements when one builds HQ units? As new builds don't they just build up whether there are replacements or not?
All of the other units seem to do that. (I've never built more than one HQ replacement and that one is only for PGT Beauregard's HQ that comes in in May of 1861 which won't 'build up' unless there is a replacement. But maybe I'm wrong. Would love to find out. :) )

Second, as a 'sanity check', I thought that the rail and river transport capacity worked by taking however much one used to move troops away from the max capacity and using whatever was left for supply. Is this correct? If so, why are you having so much trouble with transport cap? Are you moving a bunch of divisions that I'm not seeing?

Finally, an observation. I'm currently playing a campaign (as the Union) against the AI using Patch 1.10. As soon as I started adding transports in the Shipping Lane boxes, Athena started adding raiders in there and I've seen losses of transports in 4 consecutive turns. (Looks like they might now be TOO efficient :) )

Now I'll sit back and continue to watch the action. Good luck!

Drambuie
Corporal

Fri May 09, 2008 3:19 pm

Just wanted to add my own praise for the thread. Playing my own first full CSA campaign so it is good to see how someone else is getting on.

Even learnt something! - that transports can be used to steal $ and WS - never occured to me that don't have to just use brigs for that role.

Turbo823
Captain

Sat May 10, 2008 4:06 pm

Jbeoddy wrote:Been following this AAR, and I must congratulate you on a very thorough and well done job!

I have a couple of questions and an observation or two.

First, is it necessary to build replacements when one builds HQ units? As new builds don't they just build up whether there are replacements or not?
All of the other units seem to do that. (I've never built more than one HQ replacement and that one is only for PGT Beauregard's HQ that comes in in May of 1861 which won't 'build up' unless there is a replacement. But maybe I'm wrong. Would love to find out. :) )

Second, as a 'sanity check', I thought that the rail and river transport capacity worked by taking however much one used to move troops away from the max capacity and using whatever was left for supply. Is this correct? If so, why are you having so much trouble with transport cap? Are you moving a bunch of divisions that I'm not seeing?

Finally, an observation. I'm currently playing a campaign (as the Union) against the AI using Patch 1.10. As soon as I started adding transports in the Shipping Lane boxes, Athena started adding raiders in there and I've seen losses of transports in 4 consecutive turns. (Looks like they might now be TOO efficient :) )

Now I'll sit back and continue to watch the action. Good luck!

Hi,

Thanks for your interest.

HQ Replacements:
I usually throw in 1 HQ replacement to help the HQ build up quickly. You don' seem to get many replacements for HQs and the Army of the Potomac took forever to build up.

Transportation:
The transport cap erodes without investment. The railroads have random 'accidents' that hurt as well. I seem to position my troops fairly well so it hasn't seriously injured me. I am only able to move a couple of brigades and maybe division. I ran out of resources as I was dumping a tremendous amount of resources in industrialization. I thought that the industrialization was a one time build -- it isn't. As long as that factory icon is there you may the full cost every turn.

Shipping:
Yeah, Athena is pretty aggressive in the blockade boxes. She has the blockade % up to 30% and my blockade runners have been taking hits. I have the micromanagement option on some I only get 75% but the naval game is very detailed so I prefer it that way. I build 3 frigates thinking they could also blockade run as well - they can't. So now I have the frigates moving to world shipping box as raiders.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Sat May 10, 2008 4:18 pm

How are the frigates performing in the shipping box under 1.10? Are you seeing alot of sinkings?

Turbo823
Captain

Sat May 10, 2008 6:03 pm

Late March 1862:

Economy:
Although I have a respectable amount of resources this turn, I am forced to spend all of them on replacements for badly depleted troops. I am still trying to recover from the winter attrition and battle losses.

Draft: None
Industrialization:
Financial: None

Replacements: 9 x Line Inf, 2 x Cav, 2 x Field Arty
Reinforcements: 1 x Kentucky Inf brigade (hopefully showing up in Bowling G.)

Virginia Theatre:
Athena pulls back her troops to Alexandria and Washington, leaving several divisions in Fredricksburg. I suspect that Athena forces are also badly battered and probably low on supplies and ammo. Pulling back to Alexandria is actually a good strategy. Notice how quickly she is able to pull back her troops -- her railroad capacity is obviously high unlike mine.

Tennessee Theatre:
Memphis is in trouble! Grant has squared off against Polk with Hardee and the Memphis garrison inside the city. Grant has 2 divisions and Polk's division took a beating last battle. McColloch in North Mississippi is not in a position to help Memphis although he can take Corinth back. Meanwhile Bowling Green and Eastern Tenn are under a threat from 3 brigades. Whats alarming about this threat is that the General leading the brigades has 6 (!) supply units with him. With that many he can delve deep into East Tenn and not worry about supply lines. Breckingridge only has 1 brigade and a militia unit in Bowling Green. I'll have to reinforce him from Nashville. As Athena is able to run by Fort Henry almost at will, I am forced to keep a respectable garrison in Nashville. My forces are spread very thin in this theatre and I can't afford any reinforcements here as I am still forced to spend resources on replacements. This isn't looking good.

Transmississippi Theatre:
Its still winter out here and I am not about to try another offensive until the weather clears. Price's division is full strength but there are not very good options at hand. St Louis is heavily garrisoned and Price doesn't have a supply unit which is almost a necessity to go into enemy territory. He is too far away to help out with Memphis and Halleck is sitting in Tucson so going south into Texas is probably a mistake. Sibley's only has a weak division in Dallas - thats another issue too. In Lexington MO there is a Union leader with a division so going North doesn't look promising either. I did get some Indian cavalry at Fort Gibson. Maybe I should look at reinforcing Watie who is sitting in Kansas right now. I just reminded myself not to move anyone out of the settlements right now -- the winter attrition is too deadly..

Combat:Grant attacks Memphis but the results are more favorable than I expected. I actually outnumber him so his divisions are depleted. Although I lose the battle and take more losees than Grant, Polk isn't forced to retreat. A pleasant turn of events. Moving McColloch to take Cornith now looks like a good move. Grant had no followup attack either.

Things have improved a bit for me since the Virginia Theatre has cooled down with the withdrawel of McDowell to Alexandria. I need to do some quick damage control in Tennessee. I'm badly outnumbered there and the winter is just about over. My weakness in the transportation capacity really limits my ability to shift troops around. I just barely was able to move McColloch's division by rail. I was forced to march Bonham and Jackson into their respective positions - a cohesion problem had McDowell attacked. I also had to move 3 (2 element) brigades that were on garrison duty in Mobile, Pensacola, and New Orleans to reinforce the faltering Tennessee theatre -- I don't like the potential weakness in the deep south, but better to address an existing threat than a potential one.

For the next turn, I plan to send one army HQ to Nashville for A. Johnston. Gotta do that as I attended ETSU in Johnson City and my parents are in Knoxville. I don't want to let the folks down. Johnston's army will be a skeleton force until I have an opportunity to flesh it out further.

Turbo823
Captain

Sun May 11, 2008 12:24 am

W.Barksdale wrote:How are the frigates performing in the shipping box under 1.10? Are you seeing alot of sinkings?

CSA Raiders in Late March 1862:

No sinkings of vessels but the Union has been losing 10-15 money here and 2-5 WS. Its been close to paying for itself just about every turn in terms of money and WS denied to the enemy. I'm not so sure that raiders are such a bad strategy if you consider what the Union could be spending this on.

I just got my second frigate in the box so maybe there will be some sinkings.

Turbo823
Captain

Sun May 11, 2008 1:32 am

1862 Early April:

Economy:
A lack of conscripts is hurting my ability for reinforcements but the war supplies surplus is over 200. I don't really need any blockade runners for WS but the cash they bring in is welcome.

Reinforcements: 2 x Brigs in Eastern theatre
Replacements: 2 x Cav
Draft: In 8 turns..
Financial: In 8 turns..

Naval: My raiders eliminated 15 money and 3 WS. Better to sink that at sea than have Athena using it..

Virginia Theatre:
McDowell now appears near Lynchburg?! Maybe he went by rail and force marched? Or maybe there was a McDowell look-a-like. A bit of a mystery. Regardless, I have Jackson moving on Charlottesville while Bonham moves on Fredricksburg. Johnston's small corps will defend and retreat if attacked. Magruder's division will hold Richmond with Lee defending inside the Richmond settlement.

Tennessee Theatre:
Strange that Grant went to the western side of the Mississippi. I plan to keep Polk in Memphis to rebuild/refit. McColloch will recapture Cornith.

Lousiana Theatre:
Just mentioning that Bragg formed a small division with the Euro Brigade and militia to defend New Orleans.

Missouri Theatre:
Price's options aren't that good. In Lexington there is a division, directly south are 2 cav brigades, and in St. Louis there is a division + the garrison. Without a supply unit I'm at a combat disadvantage. I decide to move Price to Rolla. There's a depot there.

Arkansas/Indian Territory:
I decide to occupy the Indian territory. Not much else to do here.

Combat: None, I'm surprised.
Apparently Bonham took Fredicksburg and Jackson took Charlotteville. McDowell isn't exactly cut off, he has 5 supply units with him. He also has a corps with him that probably has even more supply units. Well, I will hopefully force him North -- hopefully to Charlotteville. However, with that huge stack I can only slow him down. The only region I have to fight tooth and nail for is Richmond and thats a tough nut for Athena to crack.

pepe4158
Colonel

Mon May 12, 2008 4:05 am

No sinkings of vessels but the Union has been losing 10-15 money here and 2-5 WS. Its been close to paying for itself just about every turn in terms of money and WS denied to the enemy. I'm not so sure that raiders are such a bad strategy if you consider what the Union could be spending this on.

I just got my second frigate in the box so maybe there will be some sinkings.

The WS are of no consequence as she has plenty ...the denero loss could be helpfull to your cause if Athena has to print more $; I am quessing youve never played the union much as you are swimming in WS, but can run into problems short $ or men....$ cuz ya gotta pay the men (hmmm wasnt it Glory where the Lincoln Admn. short $ tries to pay black troops less?).
Hmm ya 10-15 isnt much, but should your opponent actually have to take a tansport or two out of the box (due to damage you inflicted)...or should you actually pull of a sinking, then you could claim a tactical victory here.
Hmm just curious, whats Athena's BB % at right now? Our own Barkesdale here is always my hardest opponent here in that regards...and Jabber uses similar tactics to frustrate my northern blockades as I uaually even by mid war I am struggling to get it to 50%; they do this by filling the gulf box with chessy brigands :fleb:
A gamey tactic I contend, but legal and effective.
------Ahhh the generals, they are numerous but not good for much.------

The Civil War is not ended: I question whether any serious civil war ever does end.
Author: T. S. Eliot

New honorary title: Colonel TROLL---Dont feed the trolls! (cuz Ill just up my rank by 1 more post!)

Turbo823
Captain

Mon May 12, 2008 2:30 pm

pepe4158 wrote:The WS are of no consequence as she has plenty ...the denero loss could be helpfull to your cause if Athena has to print more $; I am quessing youve never played the union much as you are swimming in WS, but can run into problems short $ or men....$ cuz ya gotta pay the men (hmmm wasnt it Glory where the Lincoln Admn. short $ tries to pay black troops less?).
Hmm ya 10-15 isnt much, but should your opponent actually have to take a tansport or two out of the box (due to damage you inflicted)...or should you actually pull of a sinking, then you could claim a tactical victory here.
Hmm just curious, whats Athena's BB % at right now? Our own Barkesdale here is always my hardest opponent here in that regards...and Jabber uses similar tactics to frustrate my northern blockades as I uaually even by mid war I am struggling to get it to 50%; they do this by filling the gulf box with chessy brigands :fleb:
A gamey tactic I contend, but legal and effective.

I haven't played either side in the Grand Campaign. In scenarios I've played both the Union and the CSA but I am finding the economy far more important in the April Campaign. Athena has me at a 30% blockade but has virtually sunk the brigs from the Atlantic blockade box.

Relying on those naval boxes assuming you are using the 75% micro option helps but the real bang for the buck I would imagine is cutting off the main ports. Capturing a couple of key forts and taking a few coastal cities opens up new fronts and forces the CSA to spead its forces over a much larger area.

pepe4158
Colonel

Mon May 12, 2008 11:34 pm

30 isnt that good...its one of the AI weaknesses I contend, but her sinking your brigands was a disaster on your part. With more experience you would have had them in the Gulf BB and rotated them out before they were sunk...but live n learn eh? (even the initial ones you got coulda been a boon to your WS used right)

You know more n more I vew this game, I really think a large part of it is won there in PvP.....how effectivly one can get their blockade going n how effective it will be versus southern counter measures.

Yeah the big-boys I play with in PvP never play the 75% option LOL...they make me constantly check my ships for supply and it makes my turn longer :fleb:

The Civil War is not ended: I question whether any serious civil war ever does end.

New honorary title: Colonel TROLL---Dont feed the trolls! (cuz Ill just up my rank by 1 more post!)

R.E.LEE
Conscript

Wed May 14, 2008 3:54 am

Hey Turbo this was the best AAR ive seen here,would you consider doing it again with everything at the hardest levels, if you will ill pay you with a free game,i cant play this for awhile,theres the new patch and i want to see if you can win with max diff. :niark:

pepe4158
Colonel

Wed May 14, 2008 4:26 am

OMG ,max lol...yeah that would be a struggle lol...its equivalent to diety level on the old master of orion games in difficulty, now old sids games were hard when you turned them up a lot.

Turbo823
Captain

Thu May 15, 2008 1:25 pm

R.E.LEE wrote:Hey Turbo this was the best AAR ive seen here,would you consider doing it again with everything at the hardest levels, if you will ill pay you with a free game,i cant play this for awhile,theres the new patch and i want to see if you can win with max diff. :niark:

Gulp. Sure, I'll try the hardest level after this AAR. No need for any reward or incentive. It will be enough to force a bit of respect from Pepe (kidding).

Turbo823
Captain

Thu May 15, 2008 1:33 pm

pepe4158 wrote:30 isnt that good...its one of the AI weaknesses I contend, but her sinking your brigands was a disaster on your part. With more experience you would have had them in the Gulf BB and rotated them out before they were sunk...but live n learn eh? (even the initial ones you got coulda been a boon to your WS used right)

You know more n more I vew this game, I really think a large part of it is won there in PvP.....how effectivly one can get their blockade going n how effective it will be versus southern counter measures.

Yeah the big-boys I play with in PvP never play the 75% option LOL...they make me constantly check my ships for supply and it makes my turn longer :fleb:

Based on the AAR I've read, the Union players seem to follow a similar but flawed strategy. In a PVP game, if I was playing the Union, the CSA wouldn't have the money or resources to burn on brigs. The only time I think it is dangerous for the Union is during the early months of the war where the CSA is on parity with the Union, after that its all downhill for the Confederacy.

Turbo823
Captain

1862 Late April Turn

Thu May 15, 2008 8:24 pm

1862 Late April

Economy:
Fallout from some serious CSA bungling of the economy continues. I am getting about 30 conscripts a turn and they are all going towards line inf replacements. These replacements are being sucked up within the turn.

Replacements: 5 x Line Inf, 1 x Heavy Artillery
Reinforcements: None
Industrialization: None
Draft: None
Financial: None

Objectives:
Its a good time to review my progress in terms of victory points. I thought I would be more ahead but the Union is almost tied with me thanks to my combat losses. Surprising considering the financial options and draft options Athena has been taking.

Virginia Theatre:
My "counterattacks" meet little resistance and are successful -- the CSA retakes both Charlottesille and Fredicksburg McDowell is effectively cut off at least for one turn.
The stack with McDowell is a huge horde and I don't expect Jackson to hold Charlottesville. Whats worse is that Jackson's corps is about 25% depleted. I formed a small corps in Richmond to deter any sea invasions. The Union naval destroyed sy tiny naval there and its naval strength is huge.
I seriously considered sending Bonham up to take Manassas. The problem with plan is two-fold: If McDowell moves on Charlotesville, he'll be between me and Richmond. Also, I don't have enough men to defend both Fredricksburg and take Manassas. I decide instead to go on the defensive and stay put.

Tennessee Theatre:
Grant is wandering in East Arkansas and Sherman is just south of Memphis with 2 brigades. McColloch was reinforced another 2 brigades by rail and is order to move to Memphis. The situation in the Bowling Green area isn't promising.
There are the equivalent of 2 divisions north and east of Bowling Green. Facing them is Breckingridge with 1 brigade. While I could reinforce him, I have no intention of weakening Nashville particularly considering that Athena has been able to run by Ft Henry. Better to lose Bowling Green than risk Nashville. I've been able to take Paducah with cavalry, a hollow victory as I can't hold it.

Missouri Theatre:
Sigel is closing on Price with 2 divisions and 3 supply units. Price can't even defend against that not without a supply unit. Price moves back to Springfield fully expecting to be kicked back from there to Fayetteville ARK.

Arkansas Theatre:
Well, the Indians have retaken the Indian Territory for the Confederacy against no resistance. A small victory.

Virginia Combat:
Athena comes up with a strong move! Fredricksburg is the strategic key and she orders Banks to capture it.. Possession of Fredicksburg would isolate Jackson's corps and put her in a position for a drive on Richmond. I didn't think the Union had much in Alexandria as McDowell's army is huge. Despite a solid victory, Bonham's victory puts the entire theatre at risk as the CSA can least afford losses right now and Bonham's corp (my strongest in this theatre) will probably have to withdraw back to Richmond to recover. Jackson's Corps in Charlottesville may have to be withdrawn due to its poor position. In short, this Union defeat significantly worsened the CSA position.

Tennessee Combat:
And Bowling Green easily falls to a Union attack.

Missouri Combat:
Jefferson City, MO falls to the Union again.

[color="RoyalBlue"]Athena's attack on Fredicksburg [/color]
It is worthwhile to go back and discuss why Athena's move was such a good one. IMHO Fredricksburg is the key to Northern Virginia. Fredricksburg has a depot and threatens Richmond at the same time it defends Washington.
Jackson corps sitting in Charlottesville is isolated and in a dangerous position. McDowell can either drive eastwards towards Richmond or attack Charlottesville and push Jackson westwards further away from Richmond while restoring his supply lines.
This is pretty impressive for an AI and goes to prove that if you avoid deep cavalry raids and naval invasions that the AI struggles with, this AI can give you a pretty good fight.

Jbeoddy
Conscript

Turbo823

Fri May 16, 2008 12:21 am

Turbo823 wrote:1862 Late April

[color="RoyalBlue"]Athena's attack on Fredicksburg [/color]
It is worthwhile to go back and discuss why Athena's move was such a good one. IMHO Fredricksburg is the key to Northern Virginia. Fredricksburg has a depot and threatens Richmond at the same time it defends Washington.
Jackson corps sitting in Charlottesville is isolated and in a dangerous position. McDowell can either drive eastwards towards Richmond or attack Charlottesville and push Jackson westwards further away from Richmond while restoring his supply lines.
This is pretty impressive for an AI and goes to prove that if you avoid deep cavalry raids and naval invasions that the AI struggles with, this AI can give you a pretty good fight.

Wow! Very impressive analysis! This kind of goes back to the 'Strategy 101' topic on how this is a very 'positional' game. Although it is also useful to note that the depot in Fredricksburg is one of the big reasons why it's so important. Supply is one of the major keys to the entire game. (Something it took me a bit of time to determine, as I had inadvertently managed to always keep my troops in supply without realizing I what I was doing. :) )

Also have to agree with you point about the AI. Kudos to the design team for coming up with a really good one!

I do have a question... I note that there are three regions of destroyed rail on an approximate line from Charlottesville to south of Fredricksburg. Were these destroyed by you or Athena? If by you, appears to me to be a rather brilliant use of 'scorched earth warfare' as it would appear to impair McDowell's ability to repair his supply situation, as he first has to take Charlottesville, which likely takes two turns, then has to repair the rail to recover communications with Fredricksburg (his forward supply head).

Once again, thanks for a GREAT AAR!

Rafiki

Fri May 16, 2008 8:32 am

Jbeoddy wrote:Once again, thanks for a GREAT AAR!

I'll second this; it's a pleasure to follow, and has gotten even better since the last time I said so :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Turbo823
Captain

Fri May 16, 2008 1:22 pm

Jbeoddy wrote:I do have a question... I note that there are three regions of destroyed rail on an approximate line from Charlottesville to south of Fredricksburg. Were these destroyed by you or Athena? If by you, appears to me to be a rather brilliant use of 'scorched earth warfare' as it would appear to impair McDowell's ability to repair his supply situation, as he first has to take Charlottesville, which likely takes two turns, then has to repair the rail to recover communications with Fredricksburg (his forward supply head).

Once again, thanks for a GREAT AAR!

I wish I could take credit but Athena did this during her earlier invasions and I haven't been able to secure that section of Virginia long enough to do much of anything.

Actually, the cut rail lines may encourage McDowell to march for Fredicksburg or Richmond instead of Charlottesville as it may be the nearest depot and secure supply source. This might have encouraged the attack on Fredicksburg. If McDowell does head for Fredicksburg or Richmond, I'll end up force marching Jackson eastwards to Richmond and Athena can take Charlottesville again without much of a struggle.

I would love to attack or interdict McDowell but he has the equivalent of 3 corps with him and he would likely steamroll me. I can't concentrate my forces against him as I need a sizeable force to safeguard Richmond.

Thanks for the kinds words from everyone regarding the AAR.

Turbo823
Captain

1862 Early May

Fri May 16, 2008 3:25 pm

1862 Early May:

Economy:
From famine to feast -- the CSA war supplies story.. WS now up to almost 500.

Draft: Volunteer Call is 5 turns away, Mobilization: 17 turns away
Financial: 5 turns away
Replacements: None, I had 26 conscripts -- why bother..
Reinforcements: 2 x Tenn militia, 2 x 12 lbs Alabama Arty
Industrialization: Forget it

Naval:
I haven't sunk anything yet and I now have 2 frigates and that Raider brig w/leader in the shipping box. I am sinking between 35-40k of US$ and 15-20k of WS. If you look at the resources they are taking away from the Union, they haven't been a bad investment..

McDowell's Army Stack in Virginia:I normally glance briefly at enemy stacks and try not to study them since I prefer a personal stronger FOG than AGEOD supports. However, it is interesting to see what the CSA is facing just with McDowell. A huge of amount of support services which definately swings some combat rolls in McDowell's favor. Interesting that there is no medical hospital. I wonder what an Army Train is BTW. Note that 2 corps are also stacked with him - total of 16 units. Evidently McDowell split some units off to a general north of Lynchburg.

Virginia Theatre:
CSA dispositions: J. Johnston corps at Lynchburg (36 weight), E. Johnston corps in Richmond (37 weight), Jackson's corps in Charlottesville (88 weight) and Bonham's corps to the east of Richmond (110 weight). There is no way I am going to launch a risky major offensive with no replacements for losses.
Having seen McDowell's army and seeing that Banks was able to take Fredicksburg despite a stinging loss, you get some idea of the strategic dillema facing the CSA. The cut rail lines between Richmond and Charlottesville are currently more detrimental to the CSA than the Union as the CSA can not move troops between the two cities quickly. Jackson is in a position of being cut off from Richmond so he is ordered to force march to Richmond immediately. Bonham will also move to Richmond. The only attack will be with Johnston's corps from Lynchburg north to nudge that Union general north as well. Lee gets an Army but no corps yet. I plan to move Beuregard over to Lynchburg - it will be slow going though as raillines are cut everywhere.

Tennessee Theatre:
Despite the loss of Bowling Green, the CSA still has a decent strategic position running from Island 10 to Fort Henry/Donnelson to Nashville. Polk is in Memphis (weight 63 but this includes the Memphis garrison as well). McColloch's division is 21, and A. Johnston Army of Tennessee has 37. McColloch is ordered to move to Humbolt, TN where he can reinforce either Memphis or Nashville. Breckingridge is ordered to move via rail to Nashville.

Missouri Theatre:
Missouri looks like a lost cause for Price and the Confederacy for now. Price is outnumber 4:1 and the Union seems to be supplied as well. The Transmississippi theatre is not one I am prepared to abandon so I am giving some thought on my next steps in Arkansas - a state I am determined not to lose.
In Texas, I've reinforced Sibley with a strong composite brigade to give him some bite. Sumner is still sitting in Tucson with a division and I want Sumner to stay put.

Virginia Combat:
Wow, that was a mistake! There are a zillion hombres with that general. I hope that some of these guys came from McDowell's stack...

Tennesee Combat:
Thomas jumped Breckingridge before he could leave Clarksville. Kinda of reminded me of the song by the Monkees - Last Train to Clarksville. I'll have to find and play that song now as the song is stuck in my head..

Missouri Theatre:
And Price gets the bum's rush out of Springfield..

No major disasters this turn but I am still taking more combat losses than the Union. I'm seeing Union support service units now in Thomas's stack. Early on the WS cost of these units scared me away. I need to read up on what these service units do. Another curious development is the disappearance of the Texas Ranger militia units. They appear to be converting over to line infantry. Lastly, I was looking at the Naval units and I am wondering what the advantage is with a Steam Frigate versus a regular Frigate. Another thing to research.

Jbeoddy
Conscript

Sat May 17, 2008 3:53 am

Turbo823 wrote:1862 Early May:

Naval:
I haven't sunk anything yet and I now have 2 frigates and that Raider brig w/leader in the shipping box. I am sinking between 35-40k of US$ and 15-20k of WS. If you look at the resources they are taking away from the Union, they haven't been a bad investment..

McDowell's Army Stack in Virginia:I normally glance briefly at enemy stacks and try not to study them since I prefer a personal stronger FOG than AGEOD supports. However, it is interesting to see what the CSA is facing just with McDowell. A huge of amount of support services which definately swings some combat rolls in McDowell's favor. Interesting that there is no medical hospital. I wonder what an Army Train is BTW. Note that 2 corps are also stacked with him - total of 16 units. Evidently McDowell split some units off to a general north of Lynchburg.

Looking at the Naval situation, I've noticed that as the Union, I get messages about 'A Union Merchant ship has been sunk.' Which the tool tip suggests costs $5000 and 5 WS. But the number of Transports in the Shipping Lane box doesn't decrease with this. (Or at least not that I can see. It may remove a ship element from one, when this happens, but I haven't seen it.)

But I'd agree, I've maxed out the number of Transports in my current game as the Union, and am only seeing about 45 Money and 10 WS per turn from it. Looks like you're racking up that much in losses for them with those frigates.

As for the 'Army Train', that's just the name of one of the Supply Units that the Union gets, I think the one that comes with the Army Of Northeastern Virginia.

pepe4158
Colonel

Sat May 17, 2008 4:28 am

Turbo823 wrote:Based on the AAR I've read, the Union players seem to follow a similar but flawed strategy. In a PVP game, if I was playing the Union, the CSA wouldn't have the money or resources to burn on brigs. The only time I think it is dangerous for the Union is during the early months of the war where the CSA is on parity with the Union, after that its all downhill for the Confederacy.

I use to think that too, but IMO not so, most PvP southern players can get 20-30 brigands going in the gulf BB, as early as possible , that will be quite a boost to your WS and even if the union is putting pressure on you there will be parity.

Turbo823
Captain

Sat May 24, 2008 1:13 am

pepe4158 wrote:I use to think that too, but IMO not so, most PvP southern players can get 20-30 brigands going in the gulf BB, as early as possible , that will be quite a boost to your WS and even if the union is putting pressure on you there will be parity.

I can't see how thats a good strategy. Seems to me that the Union will always win any naval arms race. The more CSA blockade runners -- the more hits that can be dealt out. The Union has a tremendous naval advantage.

I think a combination of strong artillery production and steadily increasing naval power shuts down that CSA strategy quickly. I've seen what Athena did to me with an artillery advantage - the manpower hit was huge. More worrisome in my opinion is a southern strategy of artillery and industialization with a steady buildup with blockade runners.

Turbo823
Captain

1862 Late May Turn

Mon May 26, 2008 4:43 pm

1862 Late May:

Economy:
Manpower is still the weak link for the Confederacy.

Reinforcements: 2 x Coastal Artillery, 1 x Brig (Gulf), 4 x GBoats, 1 x Ironclad (VA)
Replacements: 2 x Light Arty
Industrialization: None

Naval
The Union navy has been causing me grief on the St. James River. My tiny defense navy and the Merrimac were sunk some months ago and the Union has been landing troops near Richmond with impunity. A bit troubling is that the Union naval can lend bombardment if there is an assault on Richmond or create a new threat in that area. I plan to deploy 2 coastal artillery units -- One to Norfolk and one to Richmond itself. I'll also rebuild the St. James fleet with 4 gunboats and one Ironclad. This is possibly overkill but this area troubles me and I don't want to have to divert troops to deal with a Suffolk or Norfork invasion.

Union Gulf Blockade Mystery Move:
Athena does some bizzare moves in the Gulf. First she abandons the Gulf Blockade and moves Farragut north. Maybe it is in reaction to my raiders in the Atlantic shipping box? Regardless, it seems a questionable move as the blockade value dropped from 25% to 15%. Any idea why Athena is making this move?

Virginia Theatre:
The Union is still giving me significant grief however evidently McDowell is finally moving north to secure the supply lines. Milroy's Corps moves to Albermale, VA challenging the tiny militia force there. I suspect that McDowell's horde is finally feeling the pinch of lack of supply. At this point, it is tempting to try an assault on either Milroys corps or McDowell/Keyes Corps. The problem is that I can ill afford any losses right now as I don't have the manpower to replace combat losses.
My initial thinking was to try to open up a new front in the Shenandoah region with Beauregard's Army of the Potomac. Lee's Northern Virginia army would stay on the defense with Jackson. I've changed my mind however and I'm going to shuffle things around. Lee's Northern Army with Jackson's Corps (88) and is going to Lynchburg to join up with J. Johnston's smaller corps (36) then up to Charlottesville. Beauregard who is sitting in Petersburg is going back to Richmond. E. Johnson's corps (37) will defend Richmond while Bonham's Corps (110) will be available for manuever between Richmond and Charlottesville.

Tennessee Theatre:
Polk (67) will move south to attack Sherman. McColluch (35) will move to threaten the Union force besieging Fort Henry. The Army of Tennesse (36) will continue to guard Nashville. Forest who is still in Columbus will take command of the Alabama brigade to the west of Corinth. The Union has Gen. Wallace besieging Tuscola, AL and Pope has a brigade, arty, and supply near Chattanooga. Pope isn't much of a threat to the Chattanooga garrison (3 upgraded militia units). I'll also look at sending a leader over there to command the Chattanooga garrison. I seem to be holding my own in Tenn.

Arkansas Theatre:
Price has been driven out Springfield by Curtis (2 divisions + Arty + 2 Supply) and is retreating to Fayetteville. Van Dorn and his militia will move to Little Rock to protect against Grant. Quantrell will attack Lawrence (I can't resist this little historical touch!).

Missouri Theatre:
CSA militia is holding on to Jefferson City and Rolla. The Union controls Lexington, St. Louis, and Springfield.

Texas Theatre:
Athena is still obsessing over Tucson and has 2 divisions there under Davidson. Sibley controls Dallas and just south of Dallas there are a group of 3 cavalry units.

CSA Mini Map:
Those zillions of gray squares are militia -- part of Turbo's 'Militia R Us' strategy. Don't try this at home kids!

Combat:
The Union took Winchester, VA from the militia garrison. Otherwise the only combat was in Tennessee. Interestingly enough the Union apparently abandoned the attack and moved north.

Mystery Unit
I get these militia units usually when the CSA controls a majority of the region and there is some sort of region rebellion. Whats strange is that these units usually vanish after securing the region. Does anyone have any idea what these militia units are about?

pepe4158
Colonel

Thu May 29, 2008 1:43 am

Turbo823 wrote:I can't see how thats a good strategy. Seems to me that the Union will always win any naval arms race. The more CSA blockade runners -- the more hits that can be dealt out. The Union has a tremendous naval advantage.

I think a combination of strong artillery production and steadily increasing naval power shuts down that CSA strategy quickly. I've seen what Athena did to me with an artillery advantage - the manpower hit was huge. More worrisome in my opinion is a southern strategy of artillery and industialization with a steady buildup with blockade runners.

Yes but we are talking the Gulf BB; the south can easily rotate out damaged brigands, and couple that with an early offensive against your one port at Ft Pickens this can spell disaster for your northern blockade. Remember they are playing full supply rules. I wonder too if the current rules really reflect the true situation for the north, and dont actually reflect the true advantage of the north historically in the BB....Because of that the southern position is stringer then you give credit for in PvP Turbo.

TeMagic
Sergeant

Thu May 29, 2008 5:50 am

pepe4158 wrote:Yes but we are talking the Gulf BB; the south can easily rotate out damaged brigands, and couple that with an early offensive against your one port at Ft Pickens this can spell disaster for your northern blockade. Remember they are playing full supply rules. I wonder too if the current rules really reflect the true situation for the north, and dont actually reflect the true advantage of the north historically in the BB....Because of that the southern position is stringer then you give credit for in PvP Turbo.

Playing as the south, I find it imparant and my 3rd objective, the reduction of Fort Pickens. I start mustering troops and artillery for the job quickly...
(Objectives 1 and 2 being; defence of Richmond and defence of the Memphis-Charleston RR (Island no. 10 and Fort Donelson/Nashville being the easiest way to accomplish the latter, and Shenandoah/Norfolk/Manassas/Fredericksburg the easisest way to accomplish the former)

After Ft. Pickens is reduced, I'll have another full division availible under Bragg to bring up to the front, where most needed. A garrison for Ft Pickens you get for free :) - capturing US coastal guns and batteries.

To the thread starter: I find your position in Virginia worrysome... Whenever I play the AI, I usually opts for full mobilization, full warbonds and whatever greenbacks I can print early on (after seizing Norfolk for the morale boost) - the money is spent on paying for extra recruits and volunteers. As the south, your biggest shortcoming is the lack of manpower. I never do industrialization until late 62/early 63, when I know what I can hold, so I don't loose industrially important cities to the enemy early on. This strategy usually has me an army of 140 000 men in Virginia, come summer '62, and 80 000 men in Tennessee and 30 000 men Missouri, plus another weak division (~8000 - 9000 men) in Texas/Arizona

The AI, even on hard, is having a hard time breaking my front... and seems more than often to abandon the western theater in favour of the eastern one, and then when she fails in the east, she simultaneously fails in the west, having drained the theater of troops.

In my last game on hard, my Army of Northern Virginia, 140 000 strong, was facing the combined armies of Army of the Potomac, Army of the James and Army of Notheastern Virginia, with a combined force of more than 260 000 men.... :8o: :8o: , Well, Lee carried the day, union beaten back to washington, and A.S. Johnston could just walk into Cairo, IL, Louiseville, KY, Saint Louis, MO and press on until Lincoln surrendered :)

pepe4158
Colonel

Sat May 31, 2008 2:37 pm

TeMagic wrote:Playing as the south, I find it imparant and my 3rd objective, the reduction of Fort Pickens. I start mustering troops and artillery for the job quickly...
(Objectives 1 and 2 being; defence of Richmond and defence of the Memphis-Charleston RR (Island no. 10 and Fort Donelson/Nashville being the easiest way to accomplish the latter, and Shenandoah/Norfolk/Manassas/Fredericksburg the easisest way to accomplish the former)

After Ft. Pickens is reduced, I'll have another full division availible under Bragg to bring up to the front, where most needed. A garrison for Ft Pickens you get for free :) - capturing US coastal guns and batteries.

To the thread starter: I find your position in Virginia worrysome... Whenever I play the AI, I usually opts for full mobilization, full warbonds and whatever greenbacks I can print early on (after seizing Norfolk for the morale boost) - the money is spent on paying for extra recruits and volunteers. As the south, your biggest shortcoming is the lack of manpower. I never do industrialization until late 62/early 63, when I know what I can hold, so I don't loose industrially important cities to the enemy early on. This strategy usually has me an army of 140 000 men in Virginia, come summer '62, and 80 000 men in Tennessee and 30 000 men Missouri, plus another weak division (~8000 - 9000 men) in Texas/Arizona

The AI, even on hard, is having a hard time breaking my front... and seems more than often to abandon the western theater in favour of the eastern one, and then when she fails in the east, she simultaneously fails in the west, having drained the theater of troops.

In my last game on hard, my Army of Northern Virginia, 140 000 strong, was facing the combined armies of Army of the Potomac, Army of the James and Army of Notheastern Virginia, with a combined force of more than 260 000 men.... :8o: :8o: , Well, Lee carried the day, union beaten back to washington, and A.S. Johnston could just walk into Cairo, IL, Louiseville, KY, Saint Louis, MO and press on until Lincoln surrendered :)

Tel....all sounds well n good against the computer, but in PvP against an aggresive northern player like myself you can not hold both Tn forts you do know?...I will get one and reduce it, even against some of the best players here I am able to get one of the two early, although they do get Pickens from me if they wish which is always problamatic....makes resuplying my BB ships from Florida more important to watch.

Shah mat
Civilian

News?

Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:24 pm

Hi Turbo823,

I'm starting my first April Campaign too and I like taking the cue from this nice and very detailed AAR, great job :)

I hope you keep writing!

Turbo823
Captain

Early June 1862

Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:11 pm

Early June 1862

Economy:
Manpower is the weak link however I should be getting some conscription options in a couple of turns.

Replacements: 3 x Inf, 1 x Cav
Reinforcements: None
Industialization: None

Virginia Theatre:
The CSA fleet is still being constructed in Richmond, Hampton Rds, and Norfolk. In GA, the coastal guns are being constructed. I plan on deploying a coastal battery in Williamsburg and a defensive fleet in the James River. The North has too many dangerous naval options on the James right now.
Athena moved McDowell back south near Lynchburg. I've order Lee to advance north of Burkesville and Bonham to attack Fredricksburg. Johnston's corps is now part of Lee's army and will defend Lynchburg.

Tennessee Theatre
West Tenessee is stablized. Athena has moved Sherman across the Mississippi and Polk is returning to Memphis. In Northern Alabama, there are some pesky Union cavalry cutting raillines and threatening cities. I've ordered McColluch south to deal with them as the job is a bit much for the militia. The Nashville-Bowling Green area is still dicey. While the Army of the Tennessee can easily crush the Union attack in Bowling Green, there is a sizeable Union force in steamships near Paducah that will almost certainly attack Nashville if I split or move the Army of Tenn. This theatre seems to be under control -- for now.

Arkansas Theatre:
Grant is threatening Little Rock so I've moved Van Dorn's militia force to protect it. Curtis is west of Fayetteville with 2 divisions and 2 supply wagons so Price is staying in Fayetteville. Meanwhile, Athena is back on the job capturing Indian villages -- again. I formed the first CSA Indian division under Watie and ordered them North to support Quantrell's attack on Lawrence Kansas. I am trying to keep Athena occupied with harassment attacks in Ks and Ark as the Union has far superior forces.

Combat:
Banks takes Charlottesville abandoning Fredricksburg. Looks like I will take Fredricksburg without a fight. With Lee moving north I have a few options. I still need to remind myself not to get embroiled in a major battle as I still don't have the conscripts to replace any heavy losses.
Curtis attacks Fayetteville. Price seems to have held on.
Jefferson City, MO is recaptured by the Union.

Comments:
I'm doing a lot of overseas business travel so I've been forced to neglect the AAR. I haven't abandoned it however the updates will be a bit less frequent.
Also of note is the fact that I just installed the 1.10c patch for the Early June turn. Should be interesting to see how this affects the struggle.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”