[color="Blue"]The Few, The Proud[/color]
[color="Red"]Semper Fidelis[/color]

kyle
Corporal

News

Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:29 pm

Turn 3 – Early May
[SIZE="4"]Lincoln Calls for Volunteers[/size]
[SIZE="3"]Washington, DC[/size] – Abraham Lincoln has called for volunteers to crush the rabble amassing in the South, and reunite the nation once more. 264 brave souls answered the call.

To further the war effort, the Nation has mobilized, to bring the total of conscripts to bear at 1200 plus, over the past week.

As troops don’t come cheap, the government has issued 5% war bonds and levied an exceptional tax, accumulating an estimated $1000 plus in war funds.

Meanwhile, fresh troops are walking into McDowell’s camps each day. His army should be ready to march on Richmond in months, and this minor squabble will be done with.

Unfortunately, while just being on the job for a few weeks, McDowell has already earned a reputation for being slow and captious. Prime objectives of Winchester and Manassas site ripe for the taking, reports indicating only 2 militia and 1 militia garrison are present at each respective city. Yet, McDowell has refused to take action.

President Lincoln refused to comment specifically on the matter, saying only that he had faith in his generals to carry the day, and restore the Union.

[SIZE="4"]Southern Troops withdraw from Fort Sumter[/size]
[SIZE="3"]New York, NY[/size] – News from South Carolina that has trickled back North indicates that a sizable rebel force in South Carolina withdrew from Ft. Sumter without firing a shot. The rebels are currently unaccounted for.

An anonymous source within Lincoln’s inner circle has revealed that the matter has Lincoln and the high command quite vexed. Reports, all unreliable, have the troops going anywhere from Missouri to New Orleans, LA to Nashville, TN; while some say they are headed to the Northern states themselves.

Dadaan
Corporal

Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:51 pm

Now that you have a sizable stockpile of money, and conscripts, lets see what kind of armys you can put together.

kyle
Corporal

News Vol. 2

Tue Mar 25, 2008 4:44 am

Early June Vol. 2:

[SIZE="4"]A Lyon Restoring Order in Missouri[/size]
[SIZE="3"]St. Louis , Mo[/size]- Lincoln has likely found one competent commander that may be relied upon. After taking the initiative to prevent the St. Louis arsenal from falling into the hands of the Rebels, Nathanael Lyon want on the offensive, taking Rolla, MO and its depot. The towns of Jefferson City and Springfield are next on Lyon Missouri conquest list. He aims to be on the doorsteps of Arkansas by the fall.

[SIZE="4"]Divisions forming in Kentucky[/size]
[SIZE="3"]Bowling Green, KY[/size] – Five Union divisions under T. Woods, E. Keyes, L. Wallace, S. Hurlburt, G McCall, and a contingent force under Morell are converging on the border of Kentucky and Tennessee. Meanwhile troops under Polk have occupied Gallatin, while one brigade currently occupies Clarksville.

Despite the escalating tensions, Kentucky has remained neutral. The next few weeks, the inevitable hostilities are sure to change that stance. Whispers in the state's general assembly have the state siding with the CSA. It is widely spoken, regardless of the states support, Union soldiers will march into Lexington to secure its depot by force.
[SIZE="4"]
Banks takes Manassas! [/size]
[SIZE="3"]Manassas Junction, VA [/size]– Nathaniel Banks has his moments, that is when he decides to move. In perhaps is lone shining moment of glory for the war, Nathaniel Banks led a 3 element volunteer force on Manassas, destroying the Virginia Garrison stationed there.

Whether Banks continues his display of competency is to be seen. He has been given orders to destroy the depot to hinder supplies heading to the Valley. The destruction of the depot could force the rebels to either retreat from the Valley to more defensible positions with good supply lines, or to expend valuable resources taking a position that has greatly reduced value. Which if they do recapture, their high command will have to weigh the decision of possibly expanding more resources to rebuild the depot.

[SIZE="4"]Milroy Charged with Clearing the Valley –[/size]
[SIZE="3"]Harpers Ferry , WV[/size] – Irvin McDowell has charged his corps commander Robert Milroy with clearing the Valley of all Confederates and capturing the town of Winchester. Joe Hooker and Joseph Mansfield, who have been commissioned Brigadier Generals, will lead the vanguard of Milroy’s coming assault on Winchester.

[SIZE="2"]The Coming Fury?:[/size]

[ATTACH]2269[/ATTACH]
Attachments
BorderWarManuevers.jpg

Dadaan
Corporal

Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:19 am

Kentucky will see the errors in it's ways and soon join the Union. It looks like you are massing a huge force in MD and should be able to push the Rebs into central Virgina by winter. Keep it coming!

Rafiki

Tue Mar 25, 2008 7:55 am

Your AAR is off to a nice start, Kyle; looking forward to following it :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

kyle
Corporal

News Vol. 3

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:09 am

[ATTACH]2272[/ATTACH]

Early July 1861 Vol. 3
[SIZE="4"]Kentucky Invaded By CSA![/size]
[SIZE="3"]Bowling Green, KY[/size] – Is the pressure of Nathanael Lyon in Missouri and Brigadier Generals Keyes and Wallace forming at the Illinois and Kentucky border making the CSA sweat? Perhaps it was the foreseen coming fury and the tens of thousands of Union troops that have been marching through Louisville, KY?

Perhaps General Polk and the CSA were trying to simply recapture some of the initiative? And they almost succeeded. General Polk, estimated to be about 15,000 strong marched on Bowling Green Kentucky; and after a minor skirmish, sent the 1,500 militia within the town running. Polk had successfully captured Bowling Green. But what happened after that, one can one guess.

Brigadier General Hurlburt was turned back across the river bordering Bowling Green, as were 3 thousand militia men, all by Polk’s mere presence. Yet as Brigadier General T. Wood approached Bowling Green to engage Polk, Polk with superior, but perhaps with the less organized force turned back.

With Polk’s retreat to Gallatin, TN, T. Wood’s uncontested hold on Bowling Green allowed numerous elements to straggle into the city and reinforce the defenses.

Call it the Kentucky miracle, or Polk’s folly. For the CSA might not get a better chance to then the one they just had, to capture Kentucky, or at least Bowling Green.

[SIZE="4"]Kentucky Sides with the United States[/size]

[SIZE="3"]Louisville, KY[/size] – Polk’s debacle, if it could be called that, caused the state of Kentucky to reaffirm its favor with the Union. Capturing Bowling Green surely would have hampered the Union’s advance and caused significant supply issues. Perhaps the CSA thought the risk was warranted, given the fact the Union was posed to strike at CSA held cities. So why didn’t the Union attack.

An anonymous source within Brigadier Morrell’s camp indicated the Union was prepared to strike at the CSA held regions of Kentucky, the rail lines were adequately, if not overwhelmingly protected, but Bowling Green was not secure. Without Bowling Green and a proper supply depot, any attack causing the Kentuckians to side with the CSA would have been deemed disastrous. High command took the chance of waiting an extra week in hopes the CSA would attack under pressure. Though any attack would have likely occurred at Puducah and/or Bowling Green. And the CSA successfully holding either of those towns could have been equally disastrous.

As it turns out, the Union seems to have obtained the best case scenario by a stroke of luck. The confederates attacked, they didn’t take any cities, Kentucky favors the Union, and US troops are in position to control Kentucky and begin their strike at Tennessee.

[SIZE="4"]Lincoln calls for 30,000 more troops[/size]
[SIZE="3"]Washington D.C.[/size] – At the request of Major General R. Milroy, who has been charged with clearing the Shenandoah Valley, and the Army of the Potomac General Irvin McDowell, President Lincoln has given orders to form a division to protect West Virginia.

The rearguard, in addition to the scattered cavalry, should provide adequate protection to Milroy’s flank as he maneuvers upon Winchester. The division will also provide a screen to the vital industry centers such as Pittsburgh, PA, in case the rebels decide to get ambitious.

Scouts indicate the rebels within the valley are currently being led by JE Johnston, with commanders TJ Jackson, EK Smith, and Barnard Bee under him.

The Confederate valley force is deemed to be about 7,000 strong with another 4,000- 7,000 walled up within Winchester.

While the Union has superior numbers, Major General R. Milroy feels he does not have the proper force combination nor the proper flank support at present to warrant an attack.

He might not have the luxury though of staying idle, for every day that passes, is a day the rebels have to reinforce their numbers as well.

With the Eastern Theater rounding out, another division is being added to the Kentucky/Tennessee Region. There has been no indication though, who, if anyone will take command of an organized army in the region.
Attachments
Newpaper2.jpg

kyle
Corporal

Eastern Theatre Outlook and Victory Points

Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:21 am

Eastern Outlook Early July:
[ATTACH]2273[/ATTACH]

State of Affairs in Relation to Victory Points
[ATTACH]2274[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Victory_Points_Early_July61.jpg
East_Early_July.jpg

Dadaan
Corporal

Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:30 pm

I knew Kentucky would be yours, although I expected more of a fight. Great job either way.

kyle
Corporal

News Vol4.

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:25 pm

Aug. Vol. 4:
[SIZE="4"]Confederates Besieged! [/size]
[SIZE="3"]Washington, D.C.[/size] - The news hot off the wires is that Confederate forces are being besieged in Western Virginia and Tennessee.

Forces under Brigadier General Wallace and Brigadier General Keyes are navigating their way south between the Mississippi and Henry Ferry rivers. Currently BG Wallace is besieging Columbus, KY while BG Keyes provides flanking support.

Brigadier General T.Wood has moved from his position in Bowling Green, and presently is laying siege to Clarksville, TN.

In the Virginia Valleys, Army of the Potomac Corps Commander R. Milroy has detached the divisions of Hooker and Runyon to obtain the United States Valley objective of Winchester. The force, under the command of Brigadier General Joseph Hooker, is accompanied by Colonels S. Heintzelman and J. Shields.

Scouts show that a the Confederate forces under J. Johnston, with division commanders EK Smith and TJ Jackson present, are further down the valley at present, just west of ?.

[SIZE="4"]Will the Lyon Roar Again?[/size]
[SIZE="3"]Jefferson, MO [/size]- Brigadier General Nathanael Lyon has moved out with his division to take the final major city, and strategic objective, of Springfield, MO.

The Confederates currently occupy the town with forces under the command of S. Price. It is estimated that the rebels have 4,500 positioned outside the town, with another two thousand position within the town. Southern cavalry in the vicinity is guessed to be two elements comprising of just under two thousand. Bringing the total arms to bear near eight thousand. Fayetteville, AR has around two thousand additional troops that the South can be bring to battle.

Lyon's division is estimated to be around 10-12 thousand. The federal troops will undoubtedly be relying on Lyon's superior Generalship and battle tested men against Price's green militia.

Artillery will surely also play a role in the battle. Scouts indicated that Confederate artillery was null while the federals are bringing 3 full strengthed batteries to the grounds. The federals expect there will be at least one understrengthed battery, if not a full strengthed cavalry battery present when the battle commences.

It is expected that the town will fall into the Union's possession in mid to late September, 4 to six weeks away.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[RIGHT]War Department
Washington, DC[/RIGHT]
Major General Ulysses S. Grant commander at Louisville, KY:
Sir, it is with great honor, that I bestow upon you the wishes of your President Abraham Lincoln, and the hopes of a nation, the privilege, honor, and command of the Army of Tennessee.

The appointment, if you are willing to take on its challenges, shall be made public in the fall of 1861.
[RIGHT]Simon Cameron
Secretary of War
[/RIGHT]
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kyle
Corporal

News Vol. 5

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:28 pm

News Vol. 5
Early Sept.

[SIZE="4"]Confederates Beaten Back! [/size]
[SIZE="3"]Louisville, KY[/size] – News from Louisville Kentucky indicates Brigadier General Wallace has successfully taken Columbus, KY.

Meanwhile in the East Hooker’s command has forced the surrender of the Winchester garrison.

[SIZE="4"]Price retreats; Lyon Besieges Springfield, MO[/size]
[SIZE="3"]Springfield, MO[/size] – Brigadier Lyon is besieging Springfield, MO while Confederate general S. Price hides behind his walls. Lyon indicated he would likely wait for his second division to move up before storming the walls.

The general clung to some hope that his troops would be able to penetrate the town’s outer defenses, allowing his division to take on Price without additional support. He indicated though, that the South’s stubbornness and a second division would actually accelerate “bigger plans”.

The general would not elaborate on the specifics of those bigger plans, but did provide a wide, cheek to cheek grin.
[SIZE="4"][SIZE="4"]
Confederates Retake Manassas!![/size][/size]

[SIZE="3"]Washington DC[/size] – The Confederate army, under PGT Beauregard, has retaking Manassas Junction. McDowell was said to merely shrug when he heard the news, saying “Manassas was only a secondary goal for the present year anyway.”

President Lincoln has demanded McDowell to submit a plan of action. His faith in his general apparently is wavering.

kyle
Corporal

Grant's Message to Lincoln

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:30 pm

President Abraham Lincoln, Commander in Chief, Washington DC:
Sir, the hopes and the perseverance of the Union is a great weight to shoulder, and takes a sturdy, steadfast man. My duty is to the Union, unwavering, and I’ll shoulder whatever weight you wish to heap upon my back. I humbly accept your offer to head the Army of Tennessee.

My battle plan is as follows.
General Brigadier Keyes will move upon Paris, TN to secure the rail line and harbor to Humboldt, TN and providing flanking support to Wallace in Columbus KY. It is my wish that Colonel FJ Porter be relocated to Paducah, KY, raised to Brigadier General, and head a new division.

Brigadier General T. Wood is still laying siege to Clarksville, TN while BG Hurlburt has successfully taken Gallatin, TN.

General Polk having retreated across the river, there are two divisions of Confederates, one under G. Smith, another under Winder.

Hurlburt and Wood will continue to hold the North banks of the Cumberland. Brigadier General C. Schurz under G. McCall will reinforce T. Wood once adequate reinforcements can be brought into Bowling Green, KY. I will personally arrive at Clarksville, TN and see that the town is taken.

It is my understanding, Major General Milroy is arriving to the theatre via train. He will head my 1st Corps in Gallatin.

I will use Brigadier General Morell, assisted with cavalry, to continue his pressure on Knoxville and middle Tennessee.

With the east and west banks of Ft. Donaldson and Henry secure, Porter’s Division will march upon the forts aided by a massive artillery bombardment from Admiral Foote’s river ironclads.

If practical, Humphreys, TN will be taken to cut off support to the forts.

It is my expectations that by November 1st, 1861, the forts will have fallen into Union hands, and the assault plans for Nashville and Corinth may proceed.

It is my plan to have divisions ready to be formed, and ready to march, by February 1st to begin the assault on Island 10. I aim to have Nashville, TN and be on the doorsteps of Corinth, MS and Chattanooga, TN by June 1st, 1862.
[RIGHT]Your Man
Ulysses S. Grant
Commander of Army of Tennessee
[/RIGHT]

kyle
Corporal

McDowell's Message to Lincoln

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:32 pm

Sir, at your request, my battle plans for the east are as follows:

I will require a third corps to protect the gap between the Shenandoah Valley and Washington DC. I ask that Major General Milroy be reassigned to my command once his duties are complete in Tennessee.

In continuance with or envelope strategy, Union cavalry and divisions will chip away at the Virginians left flank. We are on track to be in adequate position to unleash our pincer movement on North Carolina come spring.

I have requested two additional ships to be built to protect any ambitious and aggressive rebels from assaulting the Maryland and Delaware mainland via amphibious landings.

I shall require two more blockade flotillas for our Winter/Spring ’62 amphibious assault plans. The assault plans have now been upgraded to include 4 divisions. The first division, and the second if it is available, will assist with the Mississippi and Western Theatre operations until the full fledged assault is ready.

If Brigadier General Nathanael Lyon is able to do his duty and secure Missouri, there is no reason the 1st, and 2nd division if committed, should be unavailable and unready come time for the assault.

In regards to our defenses, I shall require a new Western Virginia division commander, since Brigadier General Mansfield and his division have been sent to reinforce Harpers Ferry.

Our numerous loose cavalry elements will begin to fold into a larger force supported with horse artillery. Hopefully an adequate cavalry commander will present himself soon.

Corps commander Johnston and division commander Jackson have been spotted at Fredericksburg, VA, and a division under Bee at Richmond. It is my opinion that a Rebel cavalry force under JEB Stuart will strike at Western Virginia to draw our forces out, and open up gaps to punch through. The coming winter weather should close the Valley off soon with mud, and soon thereafter with its bitter cold. Thus it is my opinion JEB, and with possible support with a rebel infantry division, will strike come mid February/early March.

I request 5 additional cavalry forces to be raised, to fold into our forming cavalry forces, in order to counter such an attack, while also not completely decimating and depleting our RSS forces (raiding, scouting, and screening).

[RIGHT]Irvin McDowell
Major General, Commander of Army of the Potomac[/RIGHT]
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

kyle
Corporal

East Outlook

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:35 pm

September Early
[ATTACH]2289[/ATTACH]
Attachments
east9-61.jpg

kyle
Corporal

Kentucky_Tennessee Sept 1861

Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:38 pm

[attach]2291[/attach]
Attachments
kentucky_Tennessee.jpg

Dadaan
Corporal

Sun Mar 30, 2008 12:24 am

Excellent update, keep it coming!

GShock

Sun Mar 30, 2008 6:35 am

Sweet!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
We ain't going down!

kyle
Corporal

news vol6.

Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:33 pm

Mid September:
[SIZE="4"]Polk Strikes Back! [/size]
[SIZE="3"]Gallatin, TN[/size] - The confederate general L. Polk, led two divisions across the river and decimated Brigadier General Hurlburt's Union division. The conflict by far, was the bloodiest exchange to date. The two sides combined for over 10,000 casualties. The number of Union troops slaughtered in the rout alone, equaled almost the total number of losses suffered by the Southern rebels.

It is unclear whether Polk's force will strike at the defending forces at Bowling Green. It is far more possible any attack would be geared towards Union Brigadier General T. Wood's division, who managed to withstand a sally by the confederate forces stationed there.

While Polk's move was a tactical victory, staff members of General U.S. Grant's camp expressed an upbeat vigor about the news. Reports indicated that Polk's force comprise a good portion of the Southern's western army, which is expected to be led by general AS Johnston. The enthusiasm was brought on by the chance to crush a substantial portion of the forces in the West, without having to cross any major rivers. Furthermore, Admiral Foote's "Small Pontoons" are making their way towards Paducah, KY. With any luck, with the expected fall of Ft. Donelson and Henry, any southern forces North of the rivers bordering Nashville, TN could be in high risk of being cut off from supply lines and any path of retreat. The fall weather is already turning the fields to mud, with snows around the corner. Polk's tactical victory, without care, could turn into Polk's strategic folly.

[SIZE="4"]Panic in the Streets of Maryland [/size]
[SIZE="3"]Washington, DC[/size] - Major General Irvin McDowell, active commander of the Army of the Potomac, has ordered redeployment of the Union forces following several successful Southern advances. Depending on your allegiance, you are either running through the streets with glee or cowering in the shadows with terror.

McCulloch has penetrated Western Virginia with a force of cavalry number around seven thousand troops, supported with horse artillery.

While the major front line cities have adequate support and defenses, there is some threat if McCulloch decides to reach deeper into the Union's soul. The threat could, and likely would cost the lives of McCulloch's entire force, but at what cost to the Union? Union Cavalry with artillery support is currently positioned in New York states southern borders, and claim they could catch McCulloch if he attempted raids on cities such as Cleveland, OH. The skeptics claim that might be so, but only after those depots were destroyed. And one quartermaster aiding the Union's logistics movements quipped that "the North may value the rebel's lives in coppers, but those depots are worth ten times their weight in gold."

As if that threat weren't enough, General Joseph Johnston, with two divisions led by TJ Jackson and EK Smith, moved to a position west of Manassas, threatening the Unions weak center line, which extends from Washington to Harpers Ferry.

Major General George McClellan has been given command of the Union's Second Corps and been ordered to take up position West of Washington DC. Meanwhile, McDowell himself has moved his Headquarters to Washington DC, leaving Hamilton in charge of the Union First Corps and the defenses in Alexandria.

Orders have been sent to Hooker to withdraw his forces from Winchester to Harpers Ferry.

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:32 am

Are you not using realistic leaders? Banks is a fraud!! Commisary Banks!! :p apy:

Dadaan
Corporal

Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:57 am

You should write propaganda. Polk's victory surely will be his downfall. :)

kyle
Corporal

McDowell's Recent letter to Lincoln

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:03 am

16th September 1861

To ease the public tension, and just fear of an attack on Washington DC, the newly appointed commander of the second Corps George McClellan has been stationed west of Washington, with divisions under Brigadier Generals Burnside and Mansfield.

Brigadier General Joseph Hooker strongly apposed my orders to withdraw to Harpers Ferry. I have conceded to the man’s wishes. He will maintain a hold on Winchester, still accompanied with a division under Brigadier General Runyon, and Colonels S. Heintzelman and J. Shields. I feel it is a great risk…

Intelligence has provided adequate numbers on PGT Beauregard forces. There are at least two formed divisions, with another 2 formed divisions highly likely. The estimated combined men of arms under direct command of Beauregard is listed at 55,000.

We have no reliable figures available for the Virginia Corps under Joseph Johnston. The number is surely at least 17,000 but could be as high as 34,000 troops.

Union figures:
1st Corps ~ 45,000, local city garrisons 4k, ~~ 50,000 total
2nd Corps ~ 20,000
Shenandoah Valley forces ~ 30,000

Total organized divisions 7.

There are no suitable Corps commanders at present; Joseph Hooker leads the hopefuls that may assert themselves as being capable for the position.

We are in need of four divisions for 3rd Corps.

[RIGHT]Irvin McDowell
Major General, Commander of Army of the Potomac[/RIGHT]

kyle
Corporal

Words from Grant - Kentucky/Tennessee

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:04 am

1 October 1861

General Hurlbut has been pushed back from Gallatin, TN to Bowling Green where Major General Milroy currently presides over the forces. Reports indicate BG Hurlbut’s division has reformed nicely. Furthermore, their position is being resupported with an additional four thousand troops.

General Polk did not follow up his attack.

Brigadier General Wood and his division have taken control of Clarksville, TN and have maintained their fortifications and defensive posture.

Brigadier General Keyes has successfully taken Paris, TN.

My staff has informed me Brigadier General Morell is on schedule, and begins his march on Knoxville, TN in 15 days.

The plans for the clearing of Ft. Donelson and Ft. Henry by Nov. 1st through the 15th are on schedule.

I humbly ask for 5 fresh divisions to be brought to the theatre by April 1st. It is vital, in order for the Union to meet with success, that three of those divisions are formed and given their orders by February 1st.

Strong resistance at Nashville, TN is expected.

[RIGHT]Ulysses S. Grant
Commander of Army of Tennessee[/RIGHT]

kyle
Corporal

War Department Briefing/Memo

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:07 am

[RIGHT]1 October 1861
War Department
Washington, DC[/RIGHT]
McDowell’s reports continue to be informative and accurate. While the man has achieved what has been asked of him thus far, I feel it is more due to the enemy’s lack of aggression than McDowell’s initiative. His ininitiative continually results in his subordinates to be “inactive” as well. If McDowell should fail, I hope that he does not, but in such an event, we should be ready to look elsewhere. Ironically, McDowell has looked at Brigadier General Hooker as being most suitable for promotion. I would have to agree with McDowell’s assessment, Hooker, at present, would be my choice for leader, but not of a Corps, but of the army.

Brigadier General Lyon has taken Missouri in splendor. A promotion, and just, to Major General is appropriate for the man. It is my suggestion to give Lyon authority over all forces in the far west.

As requested, an early budget for new recruits and theatre of operations is enclosed.
The Union can expect to have 1100 conscripts from which to work with, come the new year. All ships needed for AMNA operations are built and awaiting orders, with the exception of three transports. Their cost is negligible.

Requested:
Arm of the Potomac ~ McDowell
four divisions requested
Brigades:200
Militia:160

AMNA Operations~

Army of Tennessee ~ Grant
5 divisions requested
Brigades:250
Militia:200

Far West ~ leaders unassigned
Brigades:120
Militia/Arillery 24

Total::1314

Proposed budget:
Arm of the Potomac ~ McDowell
3 divisions
Brigades:150
Militia:120

AMNA Operations
4 divisions

Army of Tennessee ~ Grant
3 divisions
Brigades:150
Militia:173

Far West: Proposed commander Lyon
1 division
Brigades:120
militia/Artillery:24

Total::1097

Further divisions and replacements can be built as recruiting permits. I suspect McDowell will be on the defensive early in ’62, and will not need the fourth division as badly as Grant needs his 4th and 5th.

Furthermore, with successful AMNA operations, a fourth division for the Army of the Potomac will be even less of a priority.

Note, these are not full divisions, but estimates for forces comprised of the following:
8 infantry elements
1 artillery
1 cavalry
[RIGHT]Simon Cameron
Secretary of War[/RIGHT]

kyle
Corporal

news vol7.

Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:46 am

[SIZE="4"]A Lyon Roars[/size]
[SIZE="3"]Springfield, MO[/size] – Nathanael Lyon bared his teeth and unleashed lead upon the poor rebels heads. When the dust cleared, Lyon’s troops stormed the city and tore into the militia pouring on the cold steel.

When the volleys ceased, the only sounds were the cheers of a glorious victory.

Missouri is once again part of the Union.

[SIZE="4"]Wood Takes Clarksville, TN [/size]
[SIZE="3"]Clarksville, TN[/size] – Brigadier General Wood commanded his troops with splendor and secured the town of Clarksville for the Union. The victory was a good morale boost for the country, which has been recently sent into a panic out east with Southern forces advancing northwards in force.

General Polk did not follow up on his success at Gallatin, TN, electing to entrench and fortify his lines instead. It will be interesting to see if Wood’s success brings Polk, or even AS Johnston across the river, to push his division back. Such a maneuver could allow a great counter attack opportunity from the reorganized forces at Bowling Green, the divisions now under the guidance of Major General Robert Milroy.

[SIZE="4"]Small Pontoons? [/size]
[SIZE="3"]Paducah, KY[/size] – There is nothing small, or pontoon like, with these riverboat elephants. Several Union river, behemoths for lack of a better term, strolled into Paducah’s harbors, fresh from their aided annihilation of some lost southern cavalry.

I wonder what this herd, excuse me, fleet of ships can do to an old war fort? With any luck, and a good view from the local heights, we’ll be able to find out. I can only hope the southern forces like a good fireworks show as much as this writer does.

Dadaan
Corporal

Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:55 am

Great update! I'm looking forward to the next one and any pics you may have.

kyle
Corporal

Prelude to a red morning sky

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:51 am

[RIGHT]1st November 1861
Private Rauron[/RIGHT]
It’s as true as they say. Major General Ulysses Grant has a commanding presence that attracts the attention of all men. Just moments earlier, the camp was filled with laughter and the low soothing tunes of music, dancing in synch with the flickering flames of the camp fires. Perhaps the flames were dancing to the tunes. At any rate, if it weren’t for the uniform dress of blue, and the bundle of rifles standing nearby, one would have been hard pressed to think there was a war. That is until he stepped forth into camp.

Mr. Grant had an aura about him that foreshadowed the difficult task ahead. As his horse carried him past camp fire to campfire and beyond, those low jolly laughs fell silent and the music died in the wind.

By the time the commander reached Brigadier General’s Porters tent, who had stepped forth from the tent in such a hurry one would have thought a king had arrived, the night air was filled with the sound of chirping crickets, and the crackle of the flames. But no human soul shifted or voiced a sound.

I’m not even sure Major General Grant himself uttered a word. But Brigadier General Porter gave a salute and slight bow as if there was an order spoken, and looked to his Colonels who gave him a salute in return.

General Grant gave a quick pull of the reins, and galloped away into the blackness of the night. A trance fell over the division, myself included. One by one arms were gathered, and our feet carried us into column formation. Words must have been spoken. None the less, we marched.

We have taken a quick rest. Eight more days and our triumph or doom awaits us at Ft. Donelson. Any day now, we should be able to hear the low thunder of the cannons. The cannons of an ironclad fleet led by Admiral Foote. It is not the distance that impedes our arrival, as much as it is this dreadful winding river and mud.

Men whisper that Brigadier General Morrel is several days out from Knoxville in the east. To our west in Missouri, Major General Lyon marches on Fayetteville, Arkansas. I wonder how much the weather will affect everyone? For myself I hope the winter snow can be postponed until at least late December.

James Ruffles just said Joseph Hooker turned back Joseph Johnston’s Corps at Winchester, VA. I wonder if Charlie made it out ok. Last I heard he was headed out to join Thomas Jackson’s brigade in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia. Perhaps Jackson troops weren’t even there. Unlikely though.

Well, it’s time to get marching again. I’m starting to get rather spry and light on my feet with all this marching. Hopefully in a few days I’ll still be standing on them.

[ATTACH]2389[/ATTACH]
Attachments
PreAttack Early Nov..jpg

Dadaan
Corporal

Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:09 am

Good update. Looks like you're moving into eastern TN almost unchecked.

kyle
Corporal

Re:

Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:23 am

Dear Lucy,

I must write with haste for my time is near. For six days and nights an armada of Union ironclads has bombarded Ft. Donelson at which I am stationed. Their shells did little physical harm to the men themselves, but the constant shelling has eroded our defenses, and the men’s spirit.

On the ninth day of November, as dawn broke, the stars and stripes and an army of blue, stepped forth from the morning mists aligned in battle formation. The cry for bayonets carried in the morning wind and broke upon our remaining ramparts. Many a proud southerner’s ear rang with those words, like a bell tolling for the dead. The fear in our own commanders voice was undeniable as he called out to man the walls.

Within seconds cannons rang out on both sides, and onwards the blue wave came. It was a marvelous sight. The call came out to steady and aim. Then the command to unleash death. Our muskets fired in unison, felling many a young soul, but onwards the blue wave came. The call came out to reload, followed once again to take aim and fire. Union soldiers once again found their final home, but onwards they came. The call came out to fire at will. And at will we fired, taking many a young, promising life away. And onwards they came.

The more we killed, the faster, quicker they approached, and before we knew it, they were a mere fifty yards from our battered defenses, and hell was unleashed. The Unions numbers quickly had us outflanked, our right was in complete chaos, and soon there after the order to regroup came.

Battle ensued into the night, but we are beaten. Perhaps before this battle took place, but beaten none the less. There are only hundreds of men left, from which there was once six thousand. It is now the 10th of November, and the morning sun has made its way above the ramparts. It’s radiance strong, but never as strong as the love I bore you. The Union comes, goodbye my dearest.

[RIGHT]Your loving and caring husband,[/RIGHT]

Return to “American Civil War AARs”