Jabberwock

From the personal journal of Abraham Jabberwock

Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:10 am

March 31, 1861 -

Due to the active disturbances in the southern states, the so called 'Acts of Secession', and the seizures of government property occuring during the last four months, and after due consultion with my cabinet and my Vice President, Cassius Clay :siffle: , I have determined to make the following changes in national policy:

1. Issue a general call for volunteers to serve in the armed forces.
2. Authorize the treasury to expand the money supply.
3. Ask Congress to impose a 'national crisis' tax to further increase the funds at our disposal.
4. Authorize the Navy to: 'Inspect any ship, flying any flag, which approaches the shores of a state or territory of the United States which is in rebellion against the duly consituted authority of the federal government.'
5. Declare martial law in all states that have passed 'acts of secession' and any territories where such acts endanger federal property. Military officers in these areas are authorized and instructed to sieze and hold all federal property as the forces available to them allow. Persons or combinations bearing arms, making treasonous utterances, or committing acts against the federal authority may be detained or fired upon, at the discretion of local commanders, unless otherwise specifically instructed. [color="DarkRed"](the iron gauntlet)[/color]
6. In all southern states where so called 'secession' has not been passed. Military authorities are instructed to avoid situations of conflict with state authorities and the civilian populations, and to avoid any action that might provoke civil disturbances. I have instructed Secretary Cameron to require receipts of acknowledgement of this order from all commands in the states of Maryland, Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee and Arkansas. [color="darkred"](and the velvet glove)[/color]

I have further instructed Cameron to send specific orders to Col. Gardner in Charleston: He is expected to hold Fort Sumter to the last man, and to fire upon any person or vessel, not bearing the flag of the United States, approaching the grounds of said fort.
I have also instructed Mr. Clay to make such provisions for the security of the Capitol District as are available to the executive power, so long as they do not interfere with the regular forces of the army and navy.

Brittanica entry for Cassius Clay
more Cassius Clay
Attachments
claycm2ac.jpg
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Jabberwock

Late April 1861

Fri Jun 08, 2007 6:06 am

April 16 - I received a visit from Lord Lyons this evening, with Mr. Seward in tow. He informed me that "Her Majesty's government respects the sovereignty of the United States over its property and territory, has no intention at this time of recognizing any part of the United States as an independent and separate entity from the rest of the United States, of receiving official ambassadors from the Confederate government, or of interfering with matters and policy internal to the United States." I took this as a positive development, and when Seward pressed for an official letter stating these policies, I told them it was really not neccesary.

April 17 - Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, and Arkansas have all 'seceded' in response to my call for volunteers. An armed mob stormed the Harpers Ferry Arsenal, massacring over a third of the garrison and imprisoning the rest. I fear my velvet glove policy was a dreadful error. We must respond forcefully to this horrible blot on our national honor. :turc:
For starters, I will call for a partial mobilization and a war bond.

April 20 - Gov. Houston, upon his eviction from office by the Texas legislature, has accepted my offer of aid. I have 'requested' that he use all available federal troops in Texas to fortify Dallas.

April 22 - The rebels have fired on Fort Sumter. The fort was damaged, and Col. Gardner was incapacitated, but fortunately Col. Anvil was available to take command. (Otherwise, command would have gone to Maj. Anderson, who I don't feel is completely reliable; or to Cpt. Doubleday, another flake.) Anvil's troops repelled a force sent to storm the fort, with little loss to our boys, and the rebs fled across the harbor. I have requested Mr. Fox to immediately land supplies by any means available, and Gen. Scott is organizing a new relief expedition from New York, under the command of Brigadier Schurz. Godspeed! :dada:

April 25 - Virginia militia took possession of the Gosport Naval Yard almost completely intact. Many facilities, supplies, and munitions are now in the hands of the insurrectionists. Demolition orders had been sent by regular courier instead of by telegraph, and did not arrive in time. I have assured Mr. Stanton that any further inefficiencies or irregularities in the War Department will be investigated. :grr:
Not all is lost. Our forces were able to scuttle several of the ships that were under construction or repair, and the USS Cumberland and USS Pocahontas were able to put to sea. Sec. Welles has directed them to proceed to the New York Bay and patrol there. He has also begun the process of fully mobilizing the navy, and assures me that at least a partial blockade will be organized by early June.

April 27 - Rioting in Baltimore. The rail lines have been cut, and I fear Washington is partially cut off from the rest of the North. Supplies and troops will have to proceed by steamer between Wilmington and Annapolis. I have given Gen. Scott authority to suspend the writ of habeus corpus in Maryland at his discretion. I hope it will not be necessary. Gov. Hicks has called the MD legislature into session. I fear they might call for a convention to consider secession. Perhaps I should just have Scott detain them all. I will consider it.

April 29 - Seward brought two newly promoted generals to meet me today. Of course I had met with Keyes previously, concerning the Ft. Pickens problem. Why they were not accompanied by Scott or Cameron I do not know. Anyway, I was impressed with them both. Neither of them showed up in that ridiculous military custom of line officers going around in blackface. I feel it has a demoralizing effect. Let the rebels continue with such silliness. I will make a point of addressing the issue, in person, with federal officers who continue the custom. Maybe we could encourage them to all grow flamboyant facial hair instead. I will take it up with Cameron. Scratch that, I will take it up with Seward, something harmless to keep him occupied.
Attachments
EDK_LLW_screenshot.jpg

Jabberwock

Early May 1861

Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:39 pm

May 5 - Ft. Sumter has fallen. They were out of food and almost out of ammunition. Mr. Fox was never able to get in with supplies due to the heavy bombardment. Apparently there was only one casualty, Col. Anvil. A grenade accident they are saying. Maj. Anderson surrendered on condition that his men could salute the flag and evacuate, rather than be taken prisoner.
Scott has ordered Keyes back to Washington, and Schurz to take and occupy some convenient point on the rail lines south of Richmond.

May 9 - Orders should have reached Flag Officer Palmer by now. He has a small flotilla in the Atlantic. They have been directed to begin active patrols of the shipping lanes, intercepting any hostile vessels before they can interfere with vital commerce.

May 11 - Federal troops from St. Louis stormed a Missouri State Militia camp on the outskirts of town. While returning with their prisoners, they were beset by a mob and fired into the crowd. My postmaster general, Montgomery Blair, has requested that I order Cameron to give the local commander, Nathaniel Lyon, a general's commision. Didn't his brother, Frank Blair, just smuggle all the arms out of the arsenal that guy was commanding? Are the Blairs up to something behind my back? Or am I just becoming paranoid? I will ask Clay to look into Frank Blair's activities.

Federal troops dispersed the Maryland legislature in Frederick, and loyal militia have occupied Baltimore. We have declared martial law - hopefully a temporary measure. Clay's men, "the Strangers" are keeping a close eye on several legislators, waiting for any hint of disloyal activity. They are not being too subtle about it, I trust. We will not permit Maryland to secede. I'm taking a hit in the press, but I think the general public are with me on this.

May 12 - Sec. Welles came to see me about a design for an armored ship. It doesn't look very seaworthy, but he said it was less expensive and quicker to produce than any of the other designs he had reviewed. After discussing plans and possibilities for these vessels, I told him to begin immediate construction on an additional fourteen of these 'ironclads' in addition to the prototype. I asked him about the possibility of further expanding our merchant marine and transport capability, but for some reason there are no ships available beyond those already in our possession.

May 13 - M. Gen. Banks has arrived to restore order in Baltimore. He has been joined by another promising officer, Br. Gen. Hooker. We sent instructions that once order has been restored and the rail line secured, they may move with their forces to join the Army being organized across the river in Virginia.

May 14 - An elite unit, the Washington Brigade, has been formed under Col. Raines. I have ordered that they proceed to Harper's Ferry, and retrieve the recent disaster there. I have ask Joe Hooker to leave off his duties in Baltimore, rendezvous with this expedition on the march and take personal command.

May 15 - Winfield and I went across to Alexandria today to review the troops. Major General McDowell seems thoroughly competent but perhaps too cautious. Must be his West Point training. Almost all the regular officers suffer from it to a certain degree. Scott suggested that precision drill and reviews are a start, but a training regimen of medium-distance brigade marches might acclimatize the troops to what will be expected of them, allow them to learn patrol skills, and keep the Confederates wondering about our immediate objectives with this army. A brilliant suggestion! I wish I had more time to spend with the old man learning strategy. I assured McDowell that he will receive more reinforcements. I've asked that at the earliest opportunity he reorganize his forces into three or four strong divisions rather than five weak ones.

After extensive consultations with Cameron this past fortnight, we decided to organize our new reinforcements in the following manner: 19 brigades of regular infantry, zouaves, and marines - a total of 38 regiments; 10 regiments of irregular infantry; 6 regiments of cavalry - and scour the countryside for more horses; 42 militia brigades; and a regiment of surgeons.
I have requested that Secretary Chase expand the money supply again to pay the new troops, and that he begin a program of heavy investment in war related industries in New York and Milwaukee.

Jabberwock

Late May 1861

Sat Jun 09, 2007 6:44 am

May 17 - Secretary Cameron informed me today that a new armory has started production in Milwaukee. We have decided to start small incentive programs in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

May 19 - The Washington Brigade has avenged the Harper's Ferry Massacre. Most of the miscreants died fighting, although there were enough captured alive to keep the gallows busy.

May 21 - Karl Schurz's Brigade has captured Edenton, NC.

May 22 - Gen. Hooker did not receive his orders in time to be present for the Harper's Ferry battle. He has now taken command, and has been ordered to advance on Winchester, where there is a small garrison led by Charles Winder. Erasmus Keyes has been ordered to organize a new garrison for Harper's Ferry, made up of two brigades of Pennsylvania militia.

May 24 - Colonel Waite has apparently not received the orders to hold in Dallas. He has captured Henderson, TX; disrupting a small force of cavalry that was mustering there.

May 25 - After declaring martial law in Missouri, Gen. Lyon has captured the railhead and depot at Rolla, and is preparing a move towards the state capitol at Jefferson City.
Cash Clay has been earnestly investigating Frank Blair, Sr. who has a residence in Maryland, and another here in Washington. :non: Sometimes I think Clay is really not too bright. The disturbances in Maryland have died down after a few arrests, and our ability to move troops through Baltimore restored. We have accordingly begun turning administration back over to the local authorities.
In the meantime, Karl Schurz has captured a rebel depot at Garys, NC.

May 28 - Numerous militia regiments have mustered throughout the Midwest. Several are converging on Evansville, IN, where Brigadier Lew Wallace will take command. Several more are moving forward to secure the railroads through Kentucky. In western Missouri, two regiments are converging on Lexington, while another is headed for a rendezvous with Lyons. In Eastern Missouri, militia are moving to secure all the rail along the west bank of the Mississippi. In western Virginia one regiment is moving from the railroad junction at Grafton to take possession of Covington, while another moves to secure Charleston.
Winfield Scott has informed me that he requires 5 more brigades of regular troops, 3 regiments of horse artillery, additional staff officers, and 10 companies of sundry types to fill up the regiments we already have in the field.

May 30 - Sam Heintzelman has joined Banks' corps of the main army. They are moving forward with some militia from MD and PA to take Manassas.

Three squadrons of gunboats have begun operations along the Ohio River. The have been ordered to converge on Cape Girardeau.

May 31 - General Patterson has organized four brigades of volunteers and one of regulars in SW Pennsylvania. Scott sent the volunteers west by rail; the regulars towards Harper's Ferry with some supplies; more supplies towards Covington, VA; and ordered Patterson to report to Irvin McDowell for his next assignment.

Jabberwock

Early June 1861

Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:20 pm

June 1 - In cabinet today, Chase reported the opening of an ironworks in Peekskill, NY; and some small successes in Pennsylvania and New Jersey. Welles announced that he had located additional ships suitable for purchse and conversion to transports. Cameron reports that he has located a source for obtaining cavalry mounts, enough to equip an additional 8 or 9 regiments. After debate, we determined to temporarily suspend the NJ and PA development projects, and cut back in Wisconsin, while we make these purchases. We will, of course, have to print more money.
Lew Wallace has begun his move towards Clarksville, TN with a small force, while other militia and regulars spread out through Kentucky. The garrison at Bowling Green reports contact with Confederate cavalry, but further details were not forthcoming.
A small force from Pittsburg has begun moving towards Christianburg, VA with the intention of permanently cutting the east-west railroad through that city.

June 4 - After destroying the railroad south and west of Weldon. Karl Schurz has returned to Garys to rest his troops. He has the intention of doing some lasting damage there I believe.
David Farragut is taking his fleet, with the addition of some infantry and artillery, to Wilmington, NC, with the intention of bombarding and taking possession of that place.

June 7 - Hooker reports that the action is going well at Winchester. He believes he has destroyed over half the garrison.

June 8 - Nathaniel Lyon has seized Jefferson City, MO. Governor Jackson fled towards Springfield. Lyon is preparing to follow him, and has sent an additional force to seize Charleston. Additional cavalry is moving to pacify the Indian territories and scout rebel forces in Fayettville, AR. I am glad I listened to the postmaster about that man. He seems to have the Missouri situation well in hand.
Orders have reached our forces in the far west. All available troops not required for garrison duty are moving towards Missouri.
Andrew Foote has sent his transports with a significant force from St. Louis to Paducah, KY. They will conduct an assualt on Ft. Henry as soon as it is practicable. Foote himself will attempt a run past Island No. 10 with a small force, and attempt to take Covington, TN.

June 9 - Commodore Wayne reports that his fleet has damaged and likely sunk two blockade runners, believed to be the CSS Huntress and CSS Aiken, during a night action in the Gulf of Mexico.
Texas Cavalry and Rangers have moved into Laredo. In response, Maj. Henry is bringing the 4th US Cavalry from Tuscon to fortify and defend Hendersonville; while Col. Waite takes the 2nd Texas Cavalry down the Sabine River for a surprise attack at Beaumont. Captain Dale of the USS Scully is bringing three regiments of cavalry and irregulars down from Boston. They will attempt a landing somewhere along the coast of Texas or Louisiana.

June 10 - After four days of fighting, Gen. Hooker has captured Winchester, and the supply train that was trapped there! :D

June 12 - Disaster! A Confederate relief force under Bushrod Johnson, consisting of militia and heavy artillery from Norfolk, have recaptured Winchester. Hooker has lost his entire command. :p leure: Accordingly, we will send reinforcements to Harper's Ferry, and transfer Major General Banks to command them. In the meantime, two blockade squadrons will converge on Norfolk and bombard it.

June 13 - General Banks, with the 1st MD Brigade, has engaged the enemy at Manassas. He reports stiff resistance, and requests immediate reinforcements. He has been assured that they are en route.

June 15 - In three days, the 1st Maryland has suffered 500 casualties, and inflicted a like number upon the foe. Banks insists that with reinforcements, the rebel defences are about to crack. He will have to leave that situation in the care of Gen. Heintzelman, as his presence is more urgently required at Harper's Ferry.
A small force of Delaware volunteers has made a landing behind Confederate lines, seizing Williamsburg. We are sending additional reinforcements; infantry, cavalry, and marines; to the York and James peninsulas.

Jabberwock

Late June 1861

Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:50 am

June 16 - Chase and Cameron sent me a joint memo today ... they've had a steel foundry built in upstate NY, at Troy, across the river from Albany. Having purchased the ships we needed, we will resume full industrialization efforts in Wisconsin, and lesser efforts in Pennsylvania and Delaware.

June 18 - The Senate passed a bill today authorizing the navy to continue my policy of total blockade. A joint bill went across my desk this morning authorizing a tax on salt, which I immediately signed. I expect to raise an extra 170 million dollars for the war effort by this measure.

June 20 - After another five days of sporadic fighting Sam Heintzelman has finally taken Manassas.

June 22 - Carl Schurz's command left the town of Garys in flames as they departed, pursued by enemy cavalry and militia. They were last seen headed west.
A force of volunteers from West Virginia has taken possession of Covington. Additional reinforcements and supplies are on their way to that point. Headquarters does not expect a counterattack, as the local reserves from that area have been spotted in Northern Virginia by our scouts.
The Maj. Fredericks' 3rd US Cavalry 'pacified' Camp Cherokee in the Indian Territory.

June 25 - Fredericks has moved forward to Creek, IT.
Lew Wallace's main force fended off Confederate cavalry attempting a raid through Muhlenburg, KY. It is believed these are the same unit that was harassing the Bowling Green militia (possibly Ashby's command). Wallace sent orders ahead to the militia to seize Carthage, TN. His force will occupy Gallatin, while the 2nd Maine cavalry captures Nashville.
Brig. Gen. Lyon has occupied Springfield after 5 days heavy fighting.

June 26 - Wallace's advance guard reached Clarksville today.

June 27 - Another amphibious assualt today. NJ Volunteers captured James City, VA. The James peninsula is now secured from Ft. Monroe halfway to Richmond.
Wallace's advance guard reports they are under heavy attack from Confederate cavalry.

June 28 - One Thaddeus Stevens has transported a hot-air balloon all the way to Paducah, Kentucky; where he attempted to show its 'military applications' to the officers landing troops there. Unfortunately, as he was lifting off, Leonidas Polk's forces swept down on the harbor area. Our forces retreated across the river. Professor Steven's whereabouts are currently unknown.
Flag Officers Foote's expedition never got much further than St. Louis Harbor. Apparently, he experienced mechanical difficulties with two of his ships, and once repairs were made, he set off, to have his flagship struck that evening by a enormous floating log. He has sent his troops to Charleston, MO while he refits his gunboats.
Henceforth, June 28th shall be celebrated as 'Comic tragedy on the Mississippi' Day. Just kidding.
I have ordered the immediate seizure of Kentucky. If all goes well, we will have the entire state firmly in our grip within a fortnight. If today's events are any indication, I'm not wagering on it.

June 29 - Lew Wallace reports he has not heard from his advance guard since their communication of the 27th inst. He continues to advance cautiously towards Clarksville with the rest of his forces.
Alerted by telegraph, Texas militia were waiting in Beaumont for our 'surprise attack'. After some fierce fighting, Col. Waite re-embarked his forces for the long trip back to Henderson.
Finally some good news today. The 1st Marines Battalion assaulted and captured Tappahannock, VA. Initial reports have the town surrounded by rebel militia, but cavalry reinforcements are headed in that direction.

June 30 - Bishop Polk has completed his occupation of Paducah, driving off the last of the Kentucky militia. Scott has ordered the commanders of the Kentucky expeditionary force to both retake Paducah from Polk, and to make a landing at Columbus, cutting of his retreat.
Irwin McDowell has completed an initial reorganization of the Northeastern Virginia Army. Gen. Tyler retains the 1st Division. The 3rd division has been folded into the 2nd, under Gen. Runyon. 1st & 2nd will remain under McDowell's direct command at Alexandria, as he states they are in need of further reinforcement and drill. The 3rd division headquarters is to rendezvous with Gen. Heintzelman in the vicinity of Madison while Gen. Mansfield holds Manassas with the militia that took the town; Heintzelmann taking over Mansfield's fresh troops. The 4th division has been split up amongst the other commands and its officers sent west to Kentucky. The reinforced 5th div. under Gen. Hunter has been placed into Patterson's Corps along with some volunteers, and they are detailed to seize Front Royal. Meanwhile, Banks' Corps has been reinforced in Harper's Ferry, and will attempt to retake Winchester.
Our prototype iron-clad, the USS Monitor, left New York this morning bound for Hampton Roads.
We've ordered Commodore Wayne's Squadron to run the forts at the mouth of the Mississipi, in order to scout New Orleans ahead of a possible landing there.
State militias have mobilized across the country. Our spies report that the South's militias have done the same. We will need to organize into larger forces now if we wish to conduct offensive operations further into the southern states.

Jacek
Major

Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:11 pm

Nice read. Bet Richmond will fall before the New Year.

Jabberwock

Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:44 pm

Jacek wrote:Nice read. Bet Richmond will fall before the New Year.

Considering that it is in my power to make that not happen, how much were you planning to wager?

Return to “American Civil War AARs”