dave
Private

The War of Southern Independance - An 1861 April AAR

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:06 pm

[SIZE="3"][CENTER]THE WAR OF SOUTHERN INDEPENDENCE[/CENTER][/size]

I have been constantly playing this game for a week or so now and I like it that much I have decided to write an AAR about my first ‘real’ grand campaign (By real I mean I have played once or twice but only the first few turns as part of my learning process!!!).

I will be the south, playing with the options set up as is (Normal difficuly, normal Fog of War – the only change is I have ticked the option to allow the AI more time). As I have never played the game at all as the North I also have no idea where he will receive his pre-set troops or what events he will get.

Any suggestions are welcome as I have never before written an AAR for any game – There just seems a lack of a southern grand campaign on the boards at the moment so I thought I would give it a go!!

[SIZE="3"][CENTER]CHAPTER ONE - A NEW NATION (Early April 1861)[/CENTER][/size]

Jefferson Davis had served the Union all his life. He had fought in Mexico and served the Government in Washington and he was respected as a gentleman by all those who knew him.

He had been a Union Man wen the Union was the Jeffersonian Branch of Unionism that his forefathers believed in and not the federalised version that the republicans were now throwing down his neck. Now, here he was in Montgomery Alabama at the head of the provisional Government of the Confederate states of America, elected to lead the southern states in their bid to form a new nation. He had received the news in a letter on February 10th 1861

“Sir
We are directed to inform you that you are this day unanimously elected President of the Provisional Government of the Confederate States of America, and to request you to come to Montgomery immediately. We send also a special messenger. Do not wait for him.

R. Toombs
R. Barnwell Rhett”

Why me?, he wondered on occasion. He had not been a fire eater, were there not others who had more zeal in the cause of states rights?. Of course he realised that this was probably the reason he was chosen – to appeal to his Southern Brothers in the Upper South.

Such things mattered no more. He was President of the Southern Confederacy and War was imminent. Although he did not want to be seen as the aggressor, he knew that since the first wave of secession, the quiet of the last few months may have given the Border States time to become keen on the idea of neutrality. He needed to act and everyone knew what that meant. Fort Sumter, South Carolina. Lincoln would not remove the troops there under Major Anderson and the Palmetto State troops where busting a gut to get at them.

“Strike a blow” Virginian Roger Pryor stood on a balcony in Charleston and pointed out to his southern friends on how to get his state to join the Confederacy. Many others agreed with him. Now was not the time for faint hearts.

Davis could wait no longer. He ordered the troops at Sumter to attack on 12th April 1861. The result was a bombardment and counter battery operation leading to many casualties. In total 635 Southerners were killed or wounded and around 390 Northerners suffered the same fate or were taken prisoner. The casualties were shocking to everyone, but the south was elated. Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee and North Carolina all seceded from the Union and Pledged their allegiance to The Confederacy.

Reports came in to Davis from Virginia that a small Confederate Militia company had taken Norfolk naval yard without loss. Davis could not help but think that this is how he thought the attack on Sumter would turn out.

Davis now turned to administrating his government in preparation for the War he knew would now descend upon the country. The south’s resources were poor. In comparison with their Northern counterparts, the south’s manufacturing capacity was almost nothing, Its manpower was lacking and its financial situation was dire. Priority had to be given to raising forces as soon as possible, So a call for volunteers was issued resulting in new companies of troops forming across the nation.

But with what to arm those men! New manufacturing capacity was required so small scale manufactories were encouraged in several states. Not much, But all that could be afforded and hopefully an increase over time in Supplies and munitions would be the result.

All around him Davis heard his friends and colleagues talk of Independence as if already theirs. Davis looked to the Sky and prayed.

dave
Private

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:13 pm

[SIZE="3"][CENTER]CHAPTER TWO – THE CALM BEFORE THE STORM (Late April – Early July 1861)[/CENTER][/size]

Davis watched the new troops drilling in Richmond (The Confederacy had moved there to cement the support of Virginia and it was a much more pleasant city in the eyes of some Confederate Government Officials!).

In the Three Months since Sumter, The North had been quiet, Lincolns calls for 75,000 volunteers had galvanised the South the same way that Sumter did for the North. The idea was now to sit back and let the aggression come from the North. Hopefully this would help Kentucky and Missouri join their sister southern states and also help gain European Recognition and support.

Troops were being raised all over the confederacy, but the worry was that with such a large border the north’s vastly superior manpower would swarm the south at any place it saw fit. The answer was to raise militia units en masse – these troops would not be trained or equipped as well as the men drilling under Beauregard in Richmond. But they would fight for the cause and could be raised in most towns and cities across the Confederacy. The order was given and militia companies were formed all over the company from Arkansas and Texas in the West to Virginia and the Carolinas in the East.

The southern strategy was to be defensive in nature. Virginia was to be held at all cost as the loss of the capital would destroy any chance of help from across the Atlantic. Kentucky was to be welcomed into the Confederacy if possible, but its neutrality was to be respected, therefore troops would be massed along the Tennessee border to anticipate any Union activity in the state. Strong forces would also be raised in Northern Mississippi to defend this point and stop the Union splitting the confederacy in two. Missouri was to be fought for, but the lack of supply and rail transport in the Arkansas / Missouri area would make large forces hard to sustain.

Davis had great difficulty in placating State Governors who would have to defend their coasts with only the small militia forces at their disposal, but the Confederacy did not have the numbers to protect state coasts and furnish armies of a size which could compete with the Union. Davis rejected any piecemeal defence and would concentrate on his field armies to bring him success.

Industrial expansion occurred at a moderate rate, one or two new armouries or ironworks opening weekly, a start indeed but what of the North? They already had a large advantage in this area and would no doubt be increasing their capacity at a much greater rate. One Northerner, Josiah Gorgas was proving to be a great friend of the south. He had stayed with his Southern Wife and was now directing manufacturing operations in Richmond and had already succeeded in increasing southern manufacturing output.

By the end of June 1861, Confederate Militias were massing at Manassas Junction in Northern Virginia and all across the Tennessee border with Kentucky. Missouri was invaded by the North, who moved quicker than the Confederate forces in that state and captured Jefferson City. Confederate troops under Price retreated back into Arkansas for supply.

Across both nations (For there were now two) the people, initially shocked by the slaughter at Sumter, got used to the war of words between presidents and eagerly read there newspapers for reports of the occasional skirmish resulting in a few shots fired. This was fine sport, there would be one battle and everything would go back to how things were before summer, before succession.

Or so they thought.

dave
Private

Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:20 pm

[CENTER][SIZE="3"]CHAPTER THREE – THE FIRST NORTHERN OFFENSIVE (End July 1861)[/size][/CENTER]

After the quiet of the first few months of the war, The South was awakened to the reality of its position by a co-ordinated union offensive across Virginia and Tennessee.

But before this a confederate militia regiment in ‘Neutral’ Kentucky was surprised by a force of near 3,000 Union troops. After a brief engagement in which 43 union men became casualties all 792 men of the Lexington militia force were taken prisoner or fell in combat. Davis was outraged – so much for neutrality in Kentucky. However pro-confederate sentiment in that state was increased, so the order for Southern troops to move into Kentucky was put on hold to show the Confederates were the true friends of the state.

The situation in Virginia at this time was thus – Johnston was at Winchester with around 8,000 men, Beauregard was at Manassas with 27,000. It was decided to send 6,000 of Beauregard’s troops to reinforce Johnson as the force at Harpers Ferry opposing Johnson seemed much larger than his and could launch an offensive at anytime.

It was while these movements were being carried out that the Federals Struck. A Three pronged assault on Beauregard, Johnson and the column moving to support Johnson. Johnson’s 8000 were hit by at least 13,000 (As with all enemy forces we can only guess exact numbers). Johnson managed to hold on, but only because the federals retreated to there original positions. Losses were around 1500 confederates compared to 500 union troops.

But the major combat took place at Manassas Junction. This was the most important territory in Northern Virginia. Davis had taken the advice of Robert E. Lee, who was serving on his military staff in Richmond and used this railhead as the depot to supply all the armies in that part of the state. Unfortunately the Yankees would have numerical supremacy as the 6,000 men sent to help Johnston were tied down by a separate Yankee force.

The attack on the relieving column sent to help Johnson was a short bloody battle and this column forced the federals to retreat. Both sides fielded around 6,000 men, casualties were around 1000 for both. This left Beauregard with around 21,000 men, a host of which were Militia to face the Grand Army of the North at least 30,000 strong. Both armies fought tenaciously considering it was almost every soldier’s first fight. By the end of the day, the fields covered in dead and wounded, no one could claim they had won. The federals could at least claim a victory numerically as 7,700 rebels fell compared to 5000 yanks.

The major confederate build up in Tennessee had been centred on Nashville. New recruits were pouring in every day. But organisation was poor and good leaders difficult to come by. Another force of around 5,000 men was stationed at Clarksville on the border with Kentucky. No attack was expected in this sector due to the neutral stance of that state, however this force was there to keep an eye on Bowling Green (KY) as this was a seat of Unionist sentiment. Towards the end of July and without the Confederates suspecting a Yankee force of around 8,000 men hit the unsuspecting confederates stationed in Clarksville, the result was a rout, the confederates streaming south to Nashville leaving 2,200 casualties behind. This action only cost the Union around 500 men and dented the pride of the southern man who thought that each southern man equal to at least five or even ten of his northern counterpart.

This defeat left a part of Tennessee in Union control, and was a major concern for the Confederate government. Davis could not believe that his Generals could have not foreseen these offensives. After discussing the situation with his Military advisors including Lee, it was agreed that more cavalry regiments were needed for reconnaissance. The southerner was born to the saddle it was said, but the strategy of building militia had left scant resources for the provision of any other type of troops.

When lists of the casualties reached homes north and south, the people finally realised that this war would last and it would be costly.

How long it would last and how costly it would be, no one even dared to think.

Pocus

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:02 am

very Nice!

if you allow me a remark, people really love screenshots to illustrate things.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

pasternakski
Colonel

Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:35 am

Pocus wrote:very Nice!

if you allow me a remark, people really love screenshots to illustrate things.

Plagiarism is seldom appreciated, however.

dave
Private

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:23 am

thanks pocus, but as i said i am a novice at this. i dont know how to post screenshots or i would!!

Rafiki

Thu Apr 26, 2007 8:28 am

Use an image upload service, e.g. http://imageshack.us, or use a webserver of your own, if you have access to such.

After uploading an image there, enclose the URL to the image in "[ IMG]" and "[ /IMG]" without any spaces within the tags or between the tags (i.e. next to the URL) .

dave
Private

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:29 am

Thanks Rafiki.

I think i have a problem here in that i have played u until around sept 62 without saves so will not be able to post screenshots!!!

I did say i was a novice at this!!!

I think i will have to call it a day on this, because i must agree endless posts full of text will not make a good AAR.

I will try again in the future!!

Rafiki

Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:33 am

Nah, why not continue and simply start making screenshots from now on? The best AARs are the ones that evolve underway, anyway :)

Pocus

Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:55 am

or you ctrl save your game to create a branch, then with the first game you start to roll back the turns (the 24 previous turns are saved automatically) and take screenshots. Or don't worry, continue with screenies it is ok too.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Lonster
Corporal

Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:08 am

I will throw in my vote for continuing the AAR, and just adding the screen shots as you learn how.

I really like how you are "telling" the AAR. Overview instead of focusing on what each unit is doing (down to the supply wagons :eek: )

Alan_Bernardo
Corporal

Mon Apr 30, 2007 12:15 pm

Lonster wrote:I will throw in my vote for continuing the AAR, and just adding the screen shots as you learn how.

I really like how you are "telling" the AAR. Overview instead of focusing on what each unit is doing (down to the supply wagons :eek: )

From my point of view, these are the worst kinds of AARs. The way I see AARs is that they are nonfiction accounts of what is going on, not a fictional accounts of the players.

I can easily pick up some Steinbeck or Dickens or Dostoyevsky if I want to read fiction-- good fiction.

Alan

Spharv2

Mon Apr 30, 2007 3:00 pm

Alan_Bernardo wrote:From my point of view, these are the worst kinds of AARs. The way I see AARs is that they are nonfiction accounts of what is going on, not a fictional accounts of the players.

I can easily pick up some Steinbeck or Dickens or Dostoyevsky if I want to read fiction-- good fiction.

Alan

Well, that was quite the unnecessary post. It may not be your idea of a good AAR, but honestly, why come in here and tell someone their AAR is bad?

I prefer this kind of AAR myself, because the game is about remaking history, and these types of AAR are about the telling of that history. If you don't like it, pick up your books and stay out, don't come in here and act like an ass just because you can.

Alan_Bernardo
Corporal

Mon Apr 30, 2007 4:41 pm

Spharv2 wrote:Well, that was quite the unnecessary post. It may not be your idea of a good AAR, but honestly, why come in here and tell someone their AAR is bad?

I prefer this kind of AAR myself, because the game is about remaking history, and these types of AAR are about the telling of that history. If you don't like it, pick up your books and stay out, don't come in here and act like an ass just because you can.

I think that maybe the person acting like an "ass" is the person calling someone else an "ass". I didn't say the AAR was useless or the guy writing it was an "ass"; I only said that these story-driven AARs are not actually AARs but something else altogether.

If you read AARs that are based on real combat or real military movements, there is nothing in these that talk about how a guy was dressed or what he might have been feeling or any other such extraneous things. They are strickly about military matters and nothing more.

Alan

Spharv2

Mon Apr 30, 2007 5:18 pm

And why was it necessary to come in and post that? If you don't like these types of AARs, then don't read it. Your post came across as condecending and uptight, and honestly, has no point in being here. I've read quite a bit of history, being a history major back in the day, and I'd say the majority of histories that are written (Which is basically what AARs are about anyway, the history of your game) are not, "So and so went here and did this, then this happened" but rather, narrative description like these were. Why should anyone be constrained to your views of what an AAR should be? And if you say they shouldn't, then why did you feel the need to step in and say that you don't like reading bad fiction, which is basically what you said?

Alan_Bernardo
Corporal

Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:42 pm

Spharv2 wrote:And why was it necessary to come in and post that? If you don't like these types of AARs, then don't read it. Your post came across as condecending and uptight, and honestly, has no point in being here. I've read quite a bit of history, being a history major back in the day, and I'd say the majority of histories that are written (Which is basically what AARs are about anyway, the history of your game) are not, "So and so went here and did this, then this happened" but rather, narrative description like these were. Why should anyone be constrained to your views of what an AAR should be? And if you say they shouldn't, then why did you feel the need to step in and say that you don't like reading bad fiction, which is basically what you said?

I'll have to disagree. Unless you're reading Foote's Civil War Trilogy or something like that, a great majority of histories are pure nonfiction, with just a tad of narrative thrown in.

Why did I feel the need to comment? Well, simply because I wanted to voice an opinion. I never once said that anyone had to agree with or like what I said.

Really, though, these pure-narrative AARs (besides not being real AARs) put more focus on the writer than they do on the game they are supposed to showcase. When I read an AAR I want to know two things: first, what the game is like; and second, what strategies are the best (or the worst) to use. I don't want to know that a general had trouble sleeping the night before or that he is friends with his second-in-command, unless these are somehow built into the mechanics of the game.

(Take note-- no personal attacks were included in any of my posts.)

Alan

Spharv2

Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:44 pm

Alan_Bernardo wrote:I'll have to disagree. Unless you're reading Foote's Civil War Trilogy or something like that, a great majority of histories are pure nonfiction, with just a tad of narrative thrown in.

Why did I feel the need to comment? Well, simply because I wanted to voice an opinion. I never once said that anyone had to agree with or like what I said.

Really, though, these pure-narrative AARs (besides not being real AARs) put more focus on the writer than they do on the game they are supposed to showcase. When I read an AAR I want to know two things: first, what the game is like; and second, what strategies are the best (or the worst) to use. I don't want to know that a general had trouble sleeping the night before or that he is friends with his second-in-command, unless these are somehow built into the mechanics of the game.

(Take note-- no personal attacks were included in any of my posts.)

Alan

And that still fails to answer why you felt the need to come into someone's AAR thread and disparage the way they choose to write their AAR. I suppose you wanted to cause a reaction, if so, congratulations.

PhilThib

Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:09 pm

I'd like to remind everybody there are rules of conduct in these forums, and one of them consists in keeping a low profile on one's opinion whenever another member of the forum publishes his posts (AAR or else) whithout himself behaving out of conduct...and that one disagrees...

One can say "I disagree" and explain why in correct and clear words, but saying "your stuff is sh..." is not a sufficient reason and is not acceptable nor will be accepted...

Thanks

Alan_Bernardo
Corporal

Tue May 01, 2007 1:08 am

Spharv2 wrote:And that still fails to answer why you felt the need to come into someone's AAR thread and disparage the way they choose to write their AAR. I suppose you wanted to cause a reaction, if so, congratulations.

Didn't I already mention that? I wanted to express an opinion.

I do not recall attacking anyone: I just said that I didn't like the way some AARs are done.

In your world, is expressing an opinion and wanting to see what others felt about it-- is that kind of thing against the rules?

Again, let me repeat: I never said a thing about the writer of this particular AAR. That I did is your own invention-- somehow you were wounded by what I said. That comes down to being your problem and not mine.

Alan

Alan_Bernardo
Corporal

Tue May 01, 2007 1:19 am

PhilThib wrote:I'd like to remind everybody there are rules of conduct in these forums, and one of them consists in keeping a low profile on one's opinion whenever another member of the forum publishes his posts (AAR or else) whithout himself behaving out of conduct...and that one disagrees...

One can say "I disagree" and explain why in correct and clear words, but saying "your stuff is sh..." is not a sufficient reason and is not acceptable nor will be accepted...

Thanks

Huh? Didn't I explain why I didn't care for the AAR? Did I call it sh*t? All I said is that I didn't think the type of AAR that is completely story-driven serves the purpose of a game AAR.

(The real fact of the matter here is, that I'm being chastised for doing something I didn't do, while someone else goes free for calling me an ass.)

Now you're telling me this explanation is not in "correct and clear words"?

If I wrote an AAR that had no narrative in it at all (which I've done) and someone came and told me that they didn't like my AAR bacause they enjoyed reading story-driven AARs instead, I don't think I'd go into a frenzy about it. Some people like some things while others don't.

I gave my reasons, and I was not attacking anyone. Please show me where I was attacking someone-- explicitly and openly-- not where you have interpreted me attacking someone.

I think this all comes down to someone's pride being hurt.

Oh, well, so be it.

Alan

Pocus

Tue May 01, 2007 7:56 am

For me you are both wrong... Alan you said to someone who was apologizing being a novice and already intimitaded from posting his first AAR ever that this was the 'worst sort of AAR', basically you said to a new player that his work was crappy. :8o:

Lee this was not very polite of you (to say the least), speaking of Alan he was acting as the rear part of a body... :8o:

The big loosers here are the overall mood of the forum and Dave, who has surely walked away from it thinking that we are all a band of impolite persons. :p leure:

So please everybody but Dave stop posting things in a thread which belong to him, and please Dave continue your story, many appreciated it. :coeurs:

these smileys are rather irritating when used in number. :nuts:

Alan_Bernardo
Corporal

Tue May 01, 2007 1:14 pm

Pocus wrote:For me you are both wrong... Alan you said to someone who was apologizing being a novice and already intimitaded from posting his first AAR ever that this was the 'worst sort of AAR', basically you said to a new player that his work was crappy. :8o:

Lee this was not very polite of you (to say the least), speaking of Alan he was acting as the rear part of a body... :8o:

The big loosers here are the overall mood of the forum and Dave, who has surely walked away from it thinking that we are all a band of impolite persons. :p leure:

So please everybody but Dave stop posting things in a thread which belong to him, and please Dave continue your story, many appreciated it. :coeurs:

these smileys are rather irritating when used in number. :nuts:

Okay, I'll stop. My last comment on this is that when I said a pure-narrative type of AAR was the worst kind, I wasn't speaking directly to the writer of the AAR. I was speaking of the genre itself, so to speak.

Alan

Spharv2

Tue May 01, 2007 3:31 pm

Alan and Pocus, my apologies for going too far in my wording.

Alan_Bernardo
Corporal

Tue May 01, 2007 5:58 pm

Spharv2 wrote:Alan and Pocus, my apologies for going too far in my wording.

I too apologize for my comments. They should have gone in another thread, if I put them anywhere at all.

To denigrate the author of any AAR is not my intentions.

Now back to one great game.

Alan

Pocus

Tue May 01, 2007 7:17 pm

I will write a mail to Dave, as he did not reconnect to the forum since the quarrel began.

Lets move on :)

Lasse
Sergeant

Wed May 02, 2007 10:05 pm

well, I for one would like an update to this AAR. I personally like a good narrative to immerse myself into the period, so her's hoping for an update.

P.S. perhaps an administrator could delete the above posts as they don't really has anything constructive to do with this AAR.

TeMagic
Sergeant

Thu May 03, 2007 2:51 am

Yeah, let's hope Dave will be back, as this is the one of the best AARs on these boards so far...

Return to “American Civil War AARs”