Spharv2

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:12 pm

Pocus wrote:This is not so clearly cut. I would say that Butler failed his activation roll, meaning he could not switch to offensive posture and will move slowly, perhaps to the point he was unable to move one entire region during the turn.

That is correct. What I actually should have done there was move him back by rail, because I know with his low strategic score, chances are he won't activate and move at full speed. One of those live and learn things I suppose. :)

nemethand
Colonel

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:09 pm

Another question: how did you manage to reinforce Harpers Ferry (in turn 4)after Jakson put it under siege (in turn 3)? Shouldn't there have been a battle of some kind in the course of this? Thx.

Spharv2

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:22 pm

nemethand wrote:Another question: how did you manage to reinforce Harpers Ferry (in turn 4)after Jakson put it under siege (in turn 3)? Shouldn't there have been a battle of some kind in the course of this? Thx.

Would depend on what Jackson's stance was. If he had him in an offensive stance, then I most likely would not have gotten in without a fight. Based on the fact that I did, I'm assuming that Marecone had Jackson in a defensive stance and I had my guys in defensive, so they were able to move in without a fight. I was actually expecting one, it kind of surprised me too.

nemethand
Colonel

Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:25 pm

Thanks for that. A very informative and enjoyable AAR.

Spharv2

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:30 pm

This may be the final turn, depending on how fast we can get to them. We will have a new version coming out soon with a lot of database changes, which will break our saves, so as soon as that is out, we're going to end this one. Hopefully we can get a few more turns in though.

Turn 5 -

Eastern Theatre:

First battle of the war in the East. Unfortunately, the command issues reasserted themselves, I believe that was because I had upgraded to the latest beta which reset the database. So, rather than McClellan leading a unified army, it became McDowell in charge of a big bunch of troops. As you can see in the shot, the penalties I was fighting under because of that meant that even though I had a decent advantage in numbers, the Rebels were able to turn me back with little problem.

So here is how things stand in the East now. I just go ahead and reorganize the AoP with McDowell in command and McClellan leading a corps. I then move the AoP back to Manassas. McDowell has been activated, as you ca see by the white envelope next to him, so I will put him in an offensive posture. Despite his shortcomings as a general, hopefully he can use his superior numbers to push the Confederates back.

Up by Harpers Ferry, Patterson retreated rather than fight Jackson. I want to save that site for it's manufacturing, so I send him back in again. As he is not active, I can only use the defensive posture, but hopefully Jackson will start a fight. I need to at least whitle him down, if I can, I might send a corps from the AoP over to help out, depending on how their attack goes.

Because the event engine is not yet in the game, I don't have enough generals for my forces, so here I'm taking Banks and Butler out of Ft. Monroe and Norfolk. They're going to head out west to take their spots in the army I'm going to form to deal with the Central areas.

The Rebels have advanced and put Louisville under seige. I'm hoping they can hold out a turn or two, because in the next couple of turns I will have finally gotten my forces organized and in place to deal with them. I have an army and division HQ headed in now, and should have two more division HQs in the next turn or two, plus the generals to lead the forces I'm gathering in New Albany.

In the west, I'm moving Lyon out again to try and take on Price. Fremont's force will move in behind him to provide reinforcements or follow up the attack if necessary.

One new feature that was just added, is with the supply filter. I know this shot is zoomed way out, but you can see the different shades of green for my supply areas. The dark green regions are places where I have supply depots, so you can use this filter to plan where to place your new depots to get the most out of them.

runyan99

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:11 pm

Looks like the lethality of the battles has been toned down quite a bit from BoA, based on what I see from your Battle of Manassas. That's a good and correct thing, in my estimation.

Based on the large forces involved, BoA would have had many regiments wiped out on both sides, but it looks like your battle simply reduced the units involved without wholesale destruction.

By the way, what was the initial strength of the AoP? I see they took about 5,000 casualties in the battle.

On another subject, how do divisional HQs work again, and why do you have to purchase them?

Spharv2

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:48 pm

runyan99 wrote:Looks like the lethality of the battles has been toned down quite a bit from BoA, based on what I see from your Battle of Manassas. That's a good and correct thing, in my estimation.

Based on the large forces involved, BoA would have had many regiments wiped out on both sides, but it looks like your battle simply reduced the units involved without wholesale destruction.

By the way, what was the initial strength of the AoP? I see they took about 5,000 casualties in the battle.

On another subject, how do divisional HQs work again, and why do you have to purchase them?

Not sure of exact strength before the battle, I wasn't paying close enough attention, but it was in the neighborhood of 47,000 - 50,000 men. In general, units won't "die" quite as easily as in BoA, but this was still a relatively small battle. Once you get into the real large scale battles, you'll still see units dying, or stricken from the rolls, or however you want to think of it.

Divisional HQs create your basic subunit in the game. You can use the brigades in independent duty, but generally, about the only times they'll act alone is as garrison forces. The division HQ allows you to create a division by combining brigades up to 18 regiments strong I believe. You can combine them with or without a general. Your divisions will usually have a mix of forces, so they are generally your smallest "combined arms" force, although there are some brigades, like the NY brigade I showed earlier, that combine all three arms.

Combining units under a division HQ also reduces your command penalties, which is it's main function. Before I figured out the new command structure in this game, I was playing at a huge disadvantage because I was simply grouping brigades into units and therefore suffering under some very large penalties. I think the command chain is probably the most important part of this game to learn. If you don't read anything else in the manual, or play any of the other tutorials, make sure you look over the command parts, because if you don't understand it, the game will probably seem pretty frustrating.

gbastiani
Conscript

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:23 am

It's all fine and dandy, and I like reading the AAR reports :niark: . BUT when will the game be out to buy, driving me crazy :bonk: with all of the waitting :p leure:

Pocus

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:57 am

lets say to be safe the first half of april, but march 31 is still a possibility. it will depends on how finalization is progressing.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Fatboy
Sergeant

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:00 am

A query about the turn 5 supply map.

Why are the regions in the south east under rebel control shown as green (in supply)? For example Bowling Greene?

Pocus

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:18 pm

the military control is split equally between both side, as this is Kentucky, so supply can pass, except if a military unit is there.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Spharv2

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:06 am

Turn 6:

Couple of battles this turn.

First is a nice little victory in Norfolk. The Rebels came in before Butler could board his ships, so he'll stick around another turn, but he was able to beat back the Confederate assault.

In the West, Lyon advances and defeats the Rebels hanging out in the SW corner of Missouri, pushing them back to Arkansas.

Patterson advances back to Harpers Ferry, but poor generalship costs me, as Johnston is able to easily defeat him, leading to the loss of the strategic town.

In the East, McDowell issued contradicting orders to his command leading to Heintzelman's Corps isolated by Manassas against Beauregard. Luckily for me, both are in defensive postures, so they merely sit and glare at each other for the moment. I will again try to get McDowell and McClellan to move down to join Heintzelman this turn. Patterson has decided to activate this turn, so I will attempt to recapture Harper's Ferry quickly before the Rebels get much use out of it. I don't have very high hopes for him, but I might get lucky.

In the Central region, I continue to gather forces. Louisville fell to the Rebels this turn, but I was expecting that. I should be able to form an army to attempt to retake it in the next turn or two, I'm just waiting on the HQ units and further forces to arrive now.

Aftr pushing the Rebels out of Missouri, Lyon will fall back to his supplies. I know there are Rebels behind me, because I can see the damage they've done. The reinforcements moving forward will sweep the area and hopefully flush them out. There are a couple of raids heading into Missouri and Illinois that I'm a bit concerned about. They shouldn't be able to take any locations, but they can cause some damage. My cavalry forces are heading out, but it will probably be two or three turns until they arrive to deal with these.

We will probably get one more turn in before we move on to the new version which has database changes and will break saves. Hopefully this AAR has helped some of you out, and there will probably be more coming once we have the new version in our hands.

zawk9
Conscript

Mon Mar 19, 2007 3:32 am

Nice AAR!

Great Detail's, it gives a good idea about this game.
"I always find a way to win Ballgames" Jose Lima after getting his second win in 18 Starts.

The soldiers of WW1 died for a worthy cause, the serb royal family.

Proud Civil War buff!

Spharv2

Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:38 pm

We got our new version which broke the save, so that's going to be it for this one, but we should be getting the version with most of the database and event engine installed soon, so we might be able to start up a new one with it, which should give everyone an even better view of what they'll be (hopefully) buying. :)

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:17 pm

very frustrating...

I hope a new AAR will be started soon...

Very soon...

actually let's make it a threat : If I don't have a daily fix of AARs until the release date, I won't buy the game... Here you go...Now give me more !

Return to “American Civil War AARs”