Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Foreign Intervention - Dual AAR Longshanks and Granitestater

Mon May 14, 2012 3:54 pm

AAR – Foreign Intervention

Most of us never see Foreign Intervention, and therefore can’t plan for how to handle it. I am currently in a game where every FI roll has gone in favor of the rebels (which I’m playing), and so the game stands at FI=96 in L Aug 62, and is gaining 1 FI per turn, thanks to the CSA’s city VP advantage (47-41 at the moment). My opponent had to drop out, but Granitestater agreed to step in so we could bring this game to you as an AAR. We can see together what happens as FI unfolds. Like many of you, I was disappointed to see the GChristie-Leibstandarte AAR end early, so hopefully we can make up for it here.

My previous opponent must have had a clue about FI’s impact, as he has already positioned several union forces on the Canadian border, and has avoided any naval invasions so far. So, I suppose, the Union is as prepared as can be for the inevitable. He had even indicated he was looking forward to conquering Canada! Granitestater takes over in L Aug 62 and it's his turn.

Based on comments I've read elsewhere, I shouldn't expect actual FI even when the game hits 100, which should occur on the L Oct 62 turn. Should take several more turns - even 6 more months! In the meantime, we'll update you with what's going on, with an emphasis on some of the "little bonuses" that the Euros throw in the CSA's direction.

Maps as of start of L Aug 62:

Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon May 14, 2012 7:01 pm

The previous incumbent Union player (may blessing be upon him, Athena be praised) bestowed his situation to me. We all have play styles and it is not my part to criticize the inheritance; for one, I can't know what was in my worthy predecessor's mind. Also, to keep myself truly humble (and believe me, I've earned the humility), I have yet to win a PBEM. My neighbor's eight year old kid beat me the other day, I think.

Longshanks asked me to share some thoughts that I sent him via email. I've just sent the first Turn of mine to him (this is a Double Hosting game). I resolved one Turn (the one bequeathed me, with my changes incorporated) and then sent him that result (Oops! Big Oops! I might have to resend with my orders for the Turn extant!). Well, before I email him again, here are my comments to him from this morning:

He has builds going for a massive navy - now, I probably have underbuilt to some extent, as my 'live' experience has shown me. Some of his choices reflect a fear of the FI, methinks. If I were to go Navyhappy with FI right now, I'd go for Oceanic - I could walk to N'Awlins on the river hull builds coming online. From the FI game I have [I have an AI FI game going, me as the CSA; it's about six months after FI, late summer '63; the Union moved its capital to NYC, Union NM is about 72, but Athena has been fighting back and is still viable], let me say this, IMO:

* Forget the French Army. You'll have what's in Mexico and that's it, unless there are some others that come into play (and I'm up to mid-63 in my AI FI game).

* The Royal and French Navies are large and have Warships, i.e., Ships of the Line in goodly numbers. They also have a good number of Arm'd Figates. Yes, you'll have a blue water navy at your disposal, a powerful one. This could be decisive.

* The British Army is not inconsiderable, but they're not awesome. They're good, but, all told, about three Corps or so. Some will be locked in England.

So, Im 'not afraid of FI. The Union AI has fought back and changed her capital and has actually regained some NM, although I've thrashed her pretty good. My predecessor didn't have the Blockade Option on, which I have put ON. This might trigger FI for you [N. B., it did, FI is now 100%]. Incidetnally, it's not a same Turn thing - it'll go to 100% and then might be a Turn or two before you can move those units.
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]
-Daniel Webster

[color="#FFA07A"]"C'mon, boys, we got the damn Yankees on the run!"[/color]
-General Joseph Wheeler, US Army, serving at Santiago in 1898

RULES
(A) When in doubt, agree with Ace.
(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 14, 2012 7:49 pm

Granitestater's (GS) predecessor avoided invoking the "Total Blockade" political option in order to avoid an even earlier FI, I imagine. Since our purpose is to experience the FI game, GS had no such compunction and went for it, getting a Ren & Stimpy-like "You eeeediot! You really ticked the British off! No Dr. Who for you! and also +10 FI." So, as of E Sep 62 we're sitting on FI = 100. I'm as excited as a little girlie. However, no bonuses yet.
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue May 15, 2012 2:22 am

When L Sep 62 arrived, the Brits and French are "all in," releasing all the Canadians, all the Brits in London, and the French and British Fleets everywhere. The French army in Mexico is also released for action. So much for the theory that I might have to wait 6 months. Maybe I got lucky, dunno.

The Yanks had taken precautions, and have the Canadian approaches to Michigan and New York protected, as well as a substantial fleet in Lake Eire, with three ironclads.

Where to invade with the British Army? Can the French Take on the Mexicans and then come to the CSA?

No updated maps yet, as stuff hasn't changed much yet until the new allies show up.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 15, 2012 4:14 am

IIRC, my AI FI game as the CSA was with the most restrictive Activation rule. i. e., with Lockups possible. I do know that the Mexican ops were sluggish, at best; the French were going nowhere, really. Hey, I've been accused of recklessness and imprudence, being too aggressive, and believe me, if I, as a CSA player, could steamroll las Juaristas, I would have. Maybe it was Locks, but it seems to me the Mexicans are not a laydown (unlike the Red Sox bullpen for much of this young season).

I also inherited 'Bull' Sumner (**) in Tucson with a Division, so that may be a consideration for Rio Grande ops.

OTOH, the Irish will be pleased to know that one of the Great Lakes was renamed in honor of the Emerald Isle ;) I don't mind sharing that my predecessor bequeathed quite a few 'clads to me, some of which are headed to Lake 'Eire'. Oh, yes, let's not forget that I have a built in G2 edge here - I've been playing an FI game as the CSA against Athena and have a pretty good idea of who is who, and where they show up, and in how much strength. I also inherited some modest formations in Michigan and NY State, embracing both ends of the Canadian Peninsula. IIRC, the BEF from London cannot go to Canada, it must go to the Eastern seaboard, or the Gulf.

The biggest problem is that the RN Rules the Waves. The Union cannot build Warships and the RN has many Armored Frigates, to boot. The French Navy is just more Problems with an outrageous accent; they have Warships and AFs, too.

BEF Leaders aren't half bad and the Union certainly doesn't need to face three more enemy Corps in respectable strength with good Leaders.

So, there are Challenges Galore. I have some justified confidence in containing Canadian threats, I believe. However, Longshanks is clever and resourceful and I must watch my brass - we don't need a Scarlet Surprise in Scollay Square (if you're unfamiliar with Boston lore, don't fret).
[color="#AFEEEE"]"Liberty and Union, now and forever, one and inseparable!"[/color]

-Daniel Webster

RULES

(B) Pull my reins up sharply when needed, for I am a spirited thoroughbred and forget to turn at the post sometimes.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 15, 2012 5:06 am

CORRECTIONS

Just looked at my FI AI game, as the CSA.

* It looks like the Europeans can land in Lower Canada, if they wish.

* My current deployment, assuming no more additional units show up, is:

- About 1,000+ PWR total for the French in Mexico. I have taken Mexico City and hold Vera Cruz. It seems I do have Lockage on, which does not apply to this PBEM.

- About 300 PWR in England that could be transported.

- About 2,400 PWR British Army in Baltimore and DC and Canada. Canada has about 1,000, spread at both ends of Erie, besieging Detroit and rebuffed at Buffalo. And that's it, folks. All told, call it 3,500, maybe approaching 4,000 PWR on the map available for the CSA player. Really not all that much, especially when you have three fronts to cover.

The Real Problem is the RN and the French navy. If I cover the coast well enough, should be able to avoid a major invasion of the Northeast.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed May 16, 2012 1:16 am

A reminder to our readers: GS is currently in TWO games with FI! one is his fight with the AI (described in the post entitled CORRECTIONS), and one with me!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

All the New Goodies the CSA Gets!

Wed May 16, 2012 1:17 am

I thought you might want to see the main forces I'll be adding to the CSA field armies and navies.

First, the biggest, the Brits. All (or nearly so) the ground forces in London and all the fleets there. The land forces are about 7 divisions .. that's roughly 3 CSA corps, and I'll take that where ever and whenever I can get it!

The French throw in two navies. The one from France itself:

...and the one from the French West Indies (in the Caribbean):

Then there are two Canadian divisions:

Finally, there are the French forces in Mexico, roughly one CSA corps, but up against some Mexican troops which appear to (more or less) offset each other. This will require more study, especially as they are all VERY close to the Texas front. Canada is walled off by the Great Lakes, which limit movement, but that's not the case in Mexico. Access to Texas and into Mexico is easy for all sides.

The new navies are, from the CSA point-of-view, gigantic. I haven't yet counted the ship and ship quality compared to the USA, but I expect it's at least comparable, if not better, than the pre-build Union Navy. Of course, I don't know exactly what the Union has built -could be a lot if I'm to believe Granitestater's post.

I also got a load of $ and WS, plus a boatload of Brit and French replacements. More on all that tomorrow.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed May 16, 2012 8:04 pm

Oh yeah, your blue water navy right now is tons better than the USN at sea. My predecessor had very many river vessels in the build queue, but not so much in the oceanic queue.

Again, though - the USN cannot buld Warships (the icons with the billowing clouds of sails, i. e., ships of the line) and the very most I have ever seen in a 'regular' game is five, count 'em, five Armored Frigates for the USN, whereas the RN has about, oh, a dozen at the very least, and the French navy has at least three or four (along with their Warships).

All I can say is that those Aircraft Carriers can't show up soon enough.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Thu May 17, 2012 3:47 pm

Moving into the turns where the British and French forces "show up" at the fronts. Next post will show the results, or at least the beginning of the results. So far the Canadian's little force has bullied its way into Niagara New York, although the USA still holds the fort there. The force outside retreated before combat. Weather's been bad in Mexico, but Juarez crossed into Texas - that's an Act of War, suh! Now Mexico is doomed to be the next CSA state - or more likely - colony. Of course, ahem! the French own it ... for now. The French will see about digging the Mexicans out of their hidey holes soon enough. Laissez le bon temps roulez!! ('cuse the spelling!)

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu May 17, 2012 8:59 pm

!Viva la revoluccion! !Viva Juarez! Up with Uncle Abe!

The French invaders were repulsed from the walls of Mexico City, after el gran general marched in support of the garrison and joined them inside. The French thought better of spilling more blood against the incensed defenders and retreated to Vera Cruz.

The Mexican attempt to take Matagordas, TX, came within a whisker, but was stalemated by a vigorous defense.

Perfidious Albion landed just to the east of Annapolis. The CSA's armies in NoVa are marshalling for a strike in tandem with the bloody redcoats. Buffalo is besieged, but holding out.

AR/MO is quiet; TN/KY is active, with A. Johnston next to Louisville, defended by Thomas. Grant's Army is not sitting still in Greater Paducahland.

The DC/MD area shall be 'entertaining', I believe. The USN is looking for opportunities to strike on the high seas. The Blockade is being maintained. Incidentally, Dahlgren, in some strength at Hampton Roads, was there on Day 1, but did not inderdict the RN movement into Chesapeake Bay - the RN is blockading Baltimore, after landing the lobsterbacks.

The CSA's riverine fleet near #10 got a mighty thumping. Also, not unimportantly, George MacClellan, bless his brass buttons, moved on Hampton in very good strength and gave PGT a bloody nose.

Not bad at all for the opening rounds. Let's see what the Gray, Red and Bleu do in early November.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Fri May 18, 2012 1:12 am

While waiting for Late November, this is an amusing exchange 'tween LS and myself on the last Turn ( hope Longshanks doesn't mind):

LS:

Geeesh! -5 NM off 4 battles?!

OK, I'll give you the first Reelfoot win. But the rest .....?

I can't believe you got McClellan active, and THEN I can't believe he beat Bory on defense even if he did outnumber him 4-1 (I'm sure HE reported the opposite to Washington!)

THEN, I lose by less than 1,100 men to you in Mexico (my intell was REALLY bad on that one btw - showed you had almost nuttin'), AND you lose a unit and yet the Rebs get -2 NM?!

No idea why you get 1NM for that last Reelfoot Lake fight. I lost nothing. What a load of crap.

No offense directed at you, but the game is a witch sometimes, ain't it?

Shanks

GS:

It's about time this application stopped hating me.

Yes, I was quite gratified at Mac's win. IIRC, though, PGT was not entrenched, which I saw on my side ('twas a deduction from the Combat Screen and the state of affairs) and therefore went for it.

The Big Mex General slipped into the D. F. (Distrito Federale) to join the rabble in arms - IIRC, it was more than just 1100 effectives, though I was surprised at the result. Also, AFAIK, there is not a direct trip from Vera Cruz to Northern Mexico, so the retreat is just what I wanted. 'Course, you could always give up on the Mexican thing and sail away...

And yes, NM awards or detractions can be...puzzling, shall we say, no doubt.

GraniteStater

-Daniel Webster

RULES

FelixZ
Major

Fri May 18, 2012 4:10 pm

GraniteStater wrote:While waiting for Late November, this is an amusing exchange 'tween LS and myself on the last Turn ( hope Longshanks doesn't mind):

LS:

GS:

Nothing like frustration!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Fri May 18, 2012 11:18 pm

Plus, I didn't actually say "witch"... heh, heh. I think we all have those turns. I know I've seen those reactions from players in the tourney!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon May 21, 2012 2:30 am

"One if by Land, Two if by Sea. God Help us if it's both!" - a Union shore watcher on the Chesapeake Bay in November 1862.

Debated about whether to land in Brooklyn, Canada or Maryland. Canada might freeze over, plus it's not near much of importance in this war. Brooklyn was tempting, but I didn't like splitting my forces. So, Maryland it was. I landed them in the region just South of Annapolis, timed with the approach of RE Lee and the AoNV from Fredericksburg. The Brits had to then move to a port for supply (should have just landed on Leonardsville to begin with I think).

In the meantime, the Canadians, having scared off the Yanks, besieged Niagara.

In Early Dec 62, the action started. First, a naval battle in the Chesapeake (+2 NM for the CSA):

Then I sent RE Lee and the AoNV in to Washington to soften them up a bit. He "lost" but I was content with this outcome (0 NM):

The British Army was to also march to Washington to finish them off, but was intercepted on the way, the region just south of DC., where a CSA division was waiting its turn. A large battle with several corps went against the Brits, probably because I was in attack mode (also 0 NM):

After all this, Brooklyn started looking a little better ... I could have landed one turn earlier and forced the Union to split up or concede New York. On the other hand, Brooklyn's garrison might have held out for a turn or two. I didn't spend any time doing the calculations - this was just "take a hunch and go with it" play.

Down in Mexico and up in Canada, forces were ordered to attack, but didn't. We'll see how that goes now. I got a HUGE build in L Dec, thanks to mobilization, taxation and some British help. I may actually run out of units to build by July. ;)

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 22, 2012 1:40 am

LATE DECEMBER 1862 ACTION SUMMARY

* !Viva el general Diaz otra vez! French Defeated in Mexico City Again! - Twice in the space of a week and then the 'orrible, 'orrible purveyors of stinky cheese retreated back to Vera Cruz. !Dio mio! ?Cuando van a aprender? El Dio es con el Mejico. Also, a Union Division has shown up in Laredo to help.

* Somewhat quiet in Bal'mer/DC: Lee remained in Annapolis; the Brits retreated to the St. Mary's point and my G2 says their cohesion is not what it should be. Longstreet reduces and eliminates the garrison of Alexandria, but then is shown the door and escorted out by three Corps of the US Army (attack and MTSG). A Corps remains there. DC is heavily guarded; Phil Kearny, with a strong Corps, is in the vicinity, watching the Brits, who might be contemplating that this is not Bladensburg redux.

* Buffalo is besieged, breached, broken and broached, but the British quaff tea, apparently. Their doom lurks nearby.

* No action in the western end of the lake. Some Canadian militia showed up.

* Bowling Green, KY raided, the RRs burnt, then the raiders, in some strength, scooted, after surveying the enemy positions on the lower rivers. This forced AS Johnston to exercise prudence and waste time and space retaking an unoccupied BG, for he was in the middle of a snowy expanse with a severed RR behind him and nowhere near a river. This allows Thomas in Louisville with some other friends to strengthen, re-marshal, and assert nothern Kentucky as 'Made in USA'.

* Island #10 still besieged - the Army and Corps under Jackson are still in winter quarters.

* MO quiet.

* BUT - Maj. General French, commanding a Corps of more than considerable strength, under the Army command Of MacClellan, who is safely in the rear, is on the Yorktown peninsula right next to Richmond. If nothing else, it forces him to tie down some forces there and is a genuine threat.

* Aaaannnd, it's Build Time! Full Mobilization, 8% Bonds. More Stuff Coming - more. My predecessor left me an interesting force mix, not altogether unsatisfactory. Most of my initial moves were repositions. Now I get to order off the menu for myself.

And, if I have it right, the Southern player does not get to use UK & French industrial capacity. If may, Mr. 'Shanks might not be quite where he would have desired - I shan't relax my guard for a moment, but the folks back home aren't quaking at the sight of a newspaper. USA NM at 108; CSA NM 116; trailing in VPs by about 300 or so, IIRC.

Anything may happen and Longshanks is a very good player. Some small reasons for a tiny bit of satisfaction right now.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue May 22, 2012 2:37 am

Nice summary from the Nawthun point of view. One correction though, Sidney Johnston is staring at Alexandria, that's JOE Johnston moving at will through Kentucky.

Yes, the French-Mexican business is a disappointment. My G2 keeps saying they're weak compared to me, but not as weak as I would have liked, obviously. However, très bon! - lots of promotions to impress les jeunes femmes and isn't what war is really all about mon ami?

General Longstreet's 3-star was a long-time comin', but he has it now thanks to the Alexandria in/excursion, along with a few other little surprises in the starry glitter category.

My Canadians again declined to attack. Maybe it's the tea, maybe it's the funny bacon. Perhaps the hosehats were on backwards. Anyway, it's all straight now and it'll be a long winter's day for the defenders in Niagara soon, eh hoser?

One other interesting observation. With control of the seas (well, mostly) some options that the CSA don't normally have are open to me. More on this later, I expect.

Meanwhile, winter is here and that impedes the offensive. Soon the massive builds that both of us made (one of the largest I've ever had as the CSA - I burned close to 1,000 conscripts in one turn!) will make for fun and games on all the fronts.

Your most obedient servant,

Longshanks, General of the Army

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue May 22, 2012 7:18 pm

Thx for the corrections.

Yes, we shall see what we shall see, as always.

BTW, sportsfans, Esteemed Opponent is tied up for a few days, so probably nothing more until Thu eve or Friday.

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Wed May 23, 2012 3:12 am

This is off to a rousing start. I'm guessing the queen may be regretting returning to the continent after that battle in Maryland.

FelixZ
Major

Thu May 24, 2012 12:34 am

Wondering if new French & British units can be built, and if so in what region?

If building is possible could you provide a screen shot of reinforcement screen.

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne
General of the Army

Thu May 24, 2012 12:47 am

You can't build new units or even new replacements. Their is a set number of replacements for each 3rd party faction. A handful of new British Brigades will show up as the game goes on.

FelixZ
Major

Thu May 24, 2012 1:44 am

Pat "Stonewall" Cleburne wrote:You can't build new units or even new replacements. Their is a set number of replacements for each 3rd party faction. A handful of new British Brigades will show up as the game goes on.

Thank you Pat.

Stauffenberg
General

Tue Jun 05, 2012 4:13 pm

A really interesting AAR--for myself heading off into uncharted waters.
With the added international scope it almost feels like a radically more realistic and detailed Empire: Total War. :cool:

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:34 pm

Sent this note with attached game files to LL:

However, I've had several turns lately where the foreign troops are not obeying orders (!). This has occurred in both Mexico and in New York which the Canadians have invaded. No trouble with British troops in Maryland, however. The main problem is Assaults on Cities. In the attached files, you will see I ordered Sir Charles Doyle to take Buffalo during the E Jan 63 turn. He was active and was set on R/R (the previous turn I set him on R/O and he didn't attack then either). As you will see in the L Jan 63 he is still active, but he ignored the orders.

Hoping you could shed some light on these pesky Canadians!

lodilefty

Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:40 pm

Longshanks wrote:Sent this note with attached game files to LL:

However, I've had several turns lately where the foreign troops are not obeying orders (!). This has occurred in both Mexico and in New York which the Canadians have invaded. No trouble with British troops in Maryland, however. The main problem is Assaults on Cities. In the attached files, you will see I ordered Sir Charles Doyle to take Buffalo during the E Jan 63 turn. He was active and was set on R/R (the previous turn I set him on R/O and he didn't attack then either). As you will see in the L Jan 63 he is still active, but he ignored the orders.

Hoping you could shed some light on these pesky Canadians!

'Tis Ye Olde "Army Combat Initiation" rule.

Williams is also in the Buffalo region as an [empty] corps.
Rule is [and always has been] that an Army Stack cannot initiate attack [Red or Orange] if there is ANY other friendly stack in that region.

I gave Williams troops and had him assault, and Buffalo is ours, huzzah!

You could also simply incorporate Williams into the Army stack...

Pesky rule, but WAD.
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Commanding Army Commanders

Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Following LL's instructions brought the lazy Canadian army commander under control, resulting in a new city for Ontario: Buffalo. +1 CSA NM

After a long delay while the business in the previous posts got resolved we are back at it. Here's the status as of the beginning of the E Feb 63 turn.

Canada:

Virginia-Maryland-Pennsylvania

Interesting lay of the land here. The CSA is both in front of and behind Washington, with very large forces supplied by sea for some. Sounds more like the Union doesn't it? My point is only this: FI puts the CSA in a place it rarely gets to go. Lee smacked into Baltimore last turn with 32,000, hitting Dix's 23,000, who pulled back to York. +2 CSA NM, and the Union troops besieged in Baltimore with about 500 PWR (6700 men). Should I starve them out or attack?

Kentucky-Tennessee

The French fought two battles against the Mexicans (not shown) with 4 draws and a victory at Mexico City resulting in +1 CSA NM.

Also, the Union blockade still sits at 40% in spite of all my ships. It's not causing any production problems however.

So, to sum up, +4 CSA NM this turn, with the totals now standing at 121 CSA to 101 Union. VPs are 1907 CSA to 1276 USA. However, this AAR is not really about victory and losses, it's about what can be done with the Brits and French when you get them. This is the first time I have had them join, and there is much to learn.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

L Feb 63

Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:17 pm

Here's what things look like one turn later: the start of L Feb 63.

Virginia-Maryland-Pennsylvania

This is the most active area. Sid Johnston tried to cross the Potomac, but McDowell and friends intercepted him in Montgomery and sent him back into ol' Virginny (across the Whites Ferry most likely) after a relatively small fight. The battle was initiated by Milroy's move north, but interestingly his corps did not fight. Kearny also moved out of DC to besiege the Brits in Annapolis. Nice place to be besieged.

Mexico

Mexico City fell and there's not much left of the Mexican Army there either, as you will see:

No action of note in other areas.

GraniteStater
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:35 pm

I'm letting Longshanks take the pretty picture.

On the Turn received and ran (we're doube-Hosting, so you make moves and run a Turn, then move again and send the files back), the only significant combat was on the upper Mississippi, 'twixt #10 and Memphis, where a leaderless Union river fleet of good strength was roughly handled by that rebel terror of the waves, Buchanan. Reno broke from French's strong position east of Richmond and traveled down the Peninsula to clear out Confederate cavalry between French and Ft. Monroe. Lee forsook the siege at Baltimore, moving westwards towards Frederick and leaving about 1200+ PWR at the siege with the Brits and AP Hill. Annapolis has the rest of the mid-Atlantic British forces, about 800+ PWR, besieged by Kearny's Corps.

Maneuvers ordered on my part, but I must keep quiet lest the rebel spies find stuff out. Let us not forget that French has about 1600 PWR, staring at PGT tied up in Richmond. That's a goodly Corp that can't go anywhere and is not in Maryland; he dare not move, because French could well take Richmond in a Turn if forced to leave the garrison to itself.

Oh, almost forgot, an interesting surprise! The Mexicans received extra guys in the DF, from the Magic Reinforcement Pool - result: Frenchmen take their baguettes and retreat to Vera Cruz; Mexican forces in the DF are now up to snuff. Thanks, programming dudes!

-Daniel Webster

RULES

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Beginning of E Mar 63

Tue Jul 03, 2012 5:15 pm

Granitestater, the voice of the New York paper moguls, has summed up the L Feb turn results. Here's the picture (worth a 1000, etc)

Note how the tide has turned in the Chesapeake. Just a week ago the CSA (Brits) were besieged in Annapolis and threatened by Union ships. But... Brittiania Rules the Waves! All I had to do was send out just PART of the British fleet and the Union went running into Baltimore - where IT is now besieged! We are amused!

In the meantime Lee and Johnston cooperated well to cut off Washington once again, and re-establish a land-route of supplies to the many CSA troops occupying Maryland, My Maryland. Some Yanks even ran the gauntlet out of Washington to Pennsylvania just before Lee occupied Montgomery. My biggest POW camp: Washington DC. Johnston also chased Yanks out of Harper's Ferry on the way.

As for French's corps outside of Richmond ... seriously? Bory cannot be intimated by French, of all people. You're just another POW camp as far as I'm concerned.

The most interesting move of note in the West is that Howard and Ord have appeared in Henderson KY with around 1200 PWR of forces. Thanks to Morgan for scouting them out!

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:53 pm

E Mar 63 Turn Ends Resulting in Many Confederate Victories!

Charleston Mercury Special

Is the End of the War Near?

Union forces attacked at land and sea in Maryland, My Maryland and were defeated on all fronts there!

March 4 - Battle of the Chesapeake. Sir A. Milne defeated Farragut's fleet in a closely fought battle. -1 USA NM, +1 CSA NM
March 5 - Battle of Baltimore. Gen'l Lee soundly defeated Gen. Dix's corps (1845 lost to 5673 lost) as Dix's men attacked Baltimore forces led by British General Lindsay, with Lee's force MtSG. -4 USA NM, +4 CSA NM
March 6 - Battle of Chesapeake Head. Milne Defeats Dahlgren, 24 cannons to 72 cannons lost. -1 USA NM, +1 CSA NM
March 10 - Milroy Attempts to Move South from York to Defeat Lee; Retreats Before Battle!
March 13 - Kearny Moves North, Suffers Defeat at the Hands of Lee, Lindsay, Hill and Uxbridge (6221 CSA lost to 11054 USA). Kearny Escapes North to York. 200 rifles, 1500 Yankee POWs. -5 USA NM, +5 CSA NM
In minor skirmishes in Kentucky, the Union took Clarksville TN and Clarksburg KY. All covering CSA forces succeeded in withdrawing intact.

Now we are starting to see separation: 133 CSA NM to 83 USA NM. The Union has little hope of winning, and may have to settle for the loss of Washington soon, as Maryland is firmly in Rebel hands. The British Fleet and Ground Forces have made a significant difference in that they enabled the CSA to place the Union in a position where it must attack or starve.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”