shi4stone823
Private

Newbie AAR shi4stone(CSA) v.s. AndreaR (USA) Advices from veterans needed!

Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:53 pm

Greetings!

I am a newbie in AACW, who was initially a bit disappointed by PoN last year, but nevertheless hooked up by the Ageod engine games. As a rather desperate attempt to scratch the ‘grand strategy game’ itch, I decided to give AACW a try, seeing so many praises about it, despite my complete ignorance and little interests in ACW.
More than half an year has passed, one thing I am sure about now is, the money for AACW is one of my most well spent bucks on entertainment!! Thanks to its deep mechanism and detailed resolution that seems to suit ACW perfectly, and its superb continuing support from the developer, my enthusiasm in this game has been growing ever since!! Mind you, typically my interests in new games fades away pretty quickly... instead I find myself enjoying reading books on ACW.
A recent boost to such enthusiasm is certainly the thrilling experience in PBEM. Now, I am playing my fourth PBEM game, which is the third game in a row with AndreaR, who is a great opponent and very responsive We have records of a dozen turns in one day. That was amazing!

In my first game against him I picked the Union in 62 scenario, with overwhelming odds in manpower and very good luck, I manage to capture Richmond, but Andrea continued to fight for a few more months even after his almost intact Army of Mississippi surrendered in the same turn it got besieged, which shocked both of us .

In the second game we started 1861 GC. Overconfident from previous victory, I became rather sloppy--made two cross river attack with river transport toggled on, ending up as amphibious assault and lost a full division TWICE. Just when my NM and personal moral was at the lowest bottom, Andrea made a genius one-two punch move that caught me pants down in Washington, DC, and CSA is thus recognized by Union in late summer 1862.

After a few days short break, we started another GC, now switching sides just to learn more about the game. I am playing the south for the first time in PBEM, and now we are a few turns into late October ‘61, finding myself tinkering the possible strategies without much clue and uncertain what can be achieved with how much effort.Therefore, I decided to start an AAR thread to post the situation here and inviting advice and suggestions from more experienced players to help me survive through ‘62.

shi4stone823
Private

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:15 pm

Houserule used:

Unlimited raid on boder states only,
No mobilization before ‘62, then do as you wish
Medium delay before battle,
historical attrition
no redeployment.

Review of previous actions from April - late Oct ‘61

East:
It is rather quiet for most of the time. no big battle yet.
Union seized Manassas early on with the elite brigade, and reinforced by Patterssons militas before the main armies are unlocked. Then both sides rush to Manassas once released. To my surprise, PGT changed his attack order at the last minute to defense and both sides are sitting in the open field in Manassa ever since, not a single shot fired between PGT and McDowell ever since. I have 74% MC but the Union controls the depot. Quite strange to me, how can both sides just staring at each other forever?

But it is not a necessarily a bad thing, apart from not being able to cut 10 NM from the north, at least I also tied down his main force, which is around 30k inf and 150 pieces with my 20k man. This allows much more room for Jackson to play around in the valley. And I sent him with the stonewall brigade and a few cav regiment to raid and sack Grafton which was indeed under garrisoned since Pattersson has moved to Manassas. After tinkering the possibility of rushing to Petersburg, he decided to head back to Harps Ferry, with the conclusion that there is not much to gain even if petersburg is captured. Then, seeing that the Union force under T. Wood just move out from Alexandria and probing south, Jackson jump off again and shock attack the supposedly thinly guarded at Alexandria and hoping to severe Union supply line. However, the probing Union force changed mind and double back just in time to repulse Jackson. Although failed to capture the area, Jackson’s mini force of 5000 and only 8 guns caused 2000+ Union casualty and destroyed 4 regiment! The best part is that both him and Winder improved their defensive rating by 1!

J.Johnston has initially sit in Harps Ferry, but was then shuffled to the right flank on Fredericksburg and dig there with roughly one division strength. He also attacked the weakened force at Alexandria after Jackson’s attack. It was also repulsed by union reinforcement from the north, but JJ manage to destroy 4 union regiment and one light bty, AND 1 extra rating improvement in defense!

I had also sent out Magruder with a small force of around 200 strength and siege Art to besiege Ft.Monroe, but did not get a breach after 3 months. So he was recalled to Richmond and going to reinforce Norfolk defense instead, where a naval art is set up to prevent any funny business up James river by the Union.

Gulf:
After probably one month of inactivity, I realize the Union is not reinforce the east front as much as it should be, which could only mean that AndreaR is holding back his force for some amphibious landing in my underbelly. I then started to build light art to fortify the important coast ports, first in New Orleans, then Norfolk, and just before I could fortify Mobile, AL, the blue coat come ashore at Pensacola. I hurried a few troops from SC to Montgomery AL, and two brigades from TX that was intended to capture Tuscon. Hoping to setup a fort in Mobile soon, and with a small fleet to block the river passage, I guess I can hold Mobile for a while.

Mid:
In the TN front, I only build up to 2 division, one under Polk south of Columbus and one under E.Johnston in Nashville. I beefed up the two forts with two additional brigades each.
The union made a move that puzzles me, one division marched into the marsh SW of island 10 across the river, might intend to flank the fort. So I send out the fleet to block the river pass.
Rather stupidly, I did not realize Kentucky would join Union if left untouched, until late Oct...

West:

Price runs gathered one division strength at Fayette MO hoping to just hold a stable front in the wet. But sensing (rather surprisingly) that Lyon only has a small force under him stationed at Springfield, he strikes out, and captured Springfield in one turn and Rolla in the next one! And St. Louis is also guarded by only 100+ strength! However, winter came and I don’t dare lose the supply line while marching towards St.Louis. So Price decides to dig trenchs in Rolla for the winter. At least the Union should be alarmed and shuffle some force back to the west.

shi4stone823
Private

Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:16 pm

Early Nov turn

East

intel:
McDowell sits at Manassas with 30000+ man, and Alexandria has just seen the fight between Jackson and T.Wood/Sheilds, some 10000+ man.

deposition/order::
PGT can’t move from Manassas, Jackson heads back to Harps Ferry to rest his tired troops, JJ’s force also marches back to the field works at F’burg.

Gulf:

intel:
Union force around 500+ strength under Butler starts to move out from Pensacola,
deposition:
almost one division is formed up at Mobile under G. Smith, and another 300+ force is gathering at Montgomery, AL.
Order:
hold and wait for opportunity if the Union spread too thin.

Mid:
intel:
one union division still dig in the Marsh opposite to island 10 across the river and built a depot there. not sure about its intention.

deposition/order:
one division under Polk/Bragg move to Columbus to dig trenches. E. Johnston attack Bowling Green, KY.

West:
intel:
still only small force is defending St.Louis.

deposition.
Price’s division hold on to Rolla, but was struck by epidemic...

order:
sit tight and recover.

Overall situation by early Nov ‘61
have lead in NM and VP, but Union NM is also quite high, not good...

shi4stone823
Private

Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:57 pm

[color="#FF0000"]Late Dec ‘61[/color]

[color="#FFFF00"]East:[/color]

Snow everywhere, all movements come to a halt. I don’t want lose precious manpower to meaningless atritions.

Intel:
The union has obviously give up his initiative in this region and reinforcing strongly to other theater. My guess is AndreaR believe that the war will be won in the West by the Union, and just try to defend Washington in the east. He has not tried to advance pass Manassas yet! In contrast, I have put most of my limited resource in this sector, and achieves an 1:1 ratio in the East. If I just sit here doing nothing, then it is a huge waste. I have to provoke him to at least divert resource back to this theater and relieve some pressure in the West.

But the question is how? I may defeat the union in the open, but I don’t want go against his entrenched force, after all I don’t have any numerical advantage. But his only significant force here are the main army dug in Manassas and a smaller corp dug in Alexandria protecting the communication line to Washington. I have exploited the opportunity when he moved his force around, but now I don’t expect he will make any move in the winter, except railing in new units.
The Union capital itself, however, looks rather under strength.

Deposition/Order?
In good weather, Jackson can rush to most cities in MD in just one turn from Harpers Ferry. But I am not sure if he can carry the Washington garrison. And if not Washington, would Baltimore or Annapolis worth the hassle?

[color="#FFFF00"]Gulf:[/color]

Intel
Union reinforced the Burnside’s (I mistakenly thought him to be Butler) expedition force with another division, and Halleck seems to be now the most senior Union officer there. Now gathering almost 1000 strength, this Union force became a serious threat to me. And they are moving towards north, maybe trying to capture Montgomery and then Atlanta.

But he underestimate my strength in Mobile, both two Union divisions moved north, leaving Pensacola virtually undefended. I could not let this opportunity slip by, thus ordered Mobile division attack cross the river and successfully captured the Union depot there (without loss and captured a supply unit as bonus!).

Deposition/Order?

I feel comfortable with the Mobile division under Steward sitting at Pensacola, I will blow the depot and dug in. So even if I got pushed out, the Union force shall suffer some supply issue.

But the weak division sitting at Montgomery might jjust be pushed aside by the sheer weight of those two union divisions. I am pondering whether I should blow the depot there to deny any possible resupply from the Union. Suggestions?

[color="#FFFF00"]Mid[/color]
This area is where I am most under strength. only two divisions.

Intel:
Grant marched pass Bowling Green and headed directly to Clark field TN. I wonder if AndreaR is intend to caputer Ft Henry over the land, or expecting to catch Nashville undefended. Either way A. Johnston must give up Bowling Green.
Expecting Grant to be low on cohesion, I railed Polk and A Johnston’s divisions to converge on Grant’s single division. Polk moved in defensive order 1 day before A. Johnston who is ordered to attack. But Grant is ordered to attack, and is repulsed by Polk! loss are equal, 1800 man. But Grant is forced to retreat.

Another unknown force under McClellan marched from Louisville towards Bowling green, repairing railroads along the way.

Hamilton still sit with his division across Mississippi river. really curious about his intention.

Deposition:
My only two divisions in this theater are located at Clarksfield after defeating Grant. A Cav rgt is acting as rear guard at Bowling Green, scouting McClellan’s force and prepare to tear up the railroad.

Both island 10 and Ft Henry are garrisoned by around 4000 and 7000 men respectively. should be enough to hold against any direct assault. Or is it too much?

Order:
I want to stop Grant from joined up by McClellan, but with the small force at hand, I should better choose some good ground and dig in. I plan to send Polk back to Columbus and A. Johnston to Nashville. Two brigades are coming from NC and MS to Nashville.

[color="#FFFF00"]West[/color]
St. Louis is so close!

Intel:
No significant union reinforcement in this area, as can be seen from the screenshot, St. Louis is defended by Lyon with a small force around 100 strength and St Louis garrison of around 100 strength

Deposition:
Price’s divison is now fully rested at Rolla. The raider rgt has gained enough MC at Union, MO for me to rail directly to the front door of St. Louis.

Watie is garrisoning Springfield MO.

Order:
Shall I go for St. Louis now? Would it produce enough supply in case I got myself cutoff? It is really a tempting prize...

[color="#FFFF00"]Home front
[/color]New year is coming, drafting decisions also are available now.
I got pretty lucky in blockade dice rolls, and now FI stands at 46. I am going to blockade again, boosting the NM and allow me to call in a few dozens more conscripts in the next turn.

Is it worth to wait for +3 NM from the blockade event before drafting? or should I do it now?
Shall I go for full mobilization directly?

Please share your ideas, there are so many things to learn!

Jim-NC

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:15 pm

NM only helps when you cross certain barriers. 85, 95, 105, 115, 125, etc. So if you are at 115, the NM increase from the embargo makes you 118, but that doesn't change your modifier. If you are at 114, the +3 makes you 117 which gives more stuff. I normally try to embargo on the same turn as I use options that cost NM like mobilization or high taxes or printing money (to keep NM level).

Washington costs -50 NM to your opponent if you take it (almost knocking him out of the war), and is always a good target if you can take it. The same way Richmond is worth 50 NM to you.

Better safe than sorry, blow the depot at Montgomery. You can always rebuild when the union leaves. Warning - it takes 5 days, and if your opponent captures it before your done, they get all those supplies.

St. Louis is worth 1 NM, and some WS. Can you do enough damage to make it worth it? You may lose the entire division to starvation, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Jefferson City has the CS point (men), so is it a better target (watch out for starvation there as well).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shi4stone823
Private

Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks for your advice, Jim!! :)
I knew the monthly production is affected by the NM stages, but had thought every single NM points would effect on Call for volunteer and mobilization. Good to know it is the same stage thing!
On the Economy side, I have been tempted to press the printing machine button more than once, but was scared by the 4% inflation at the last moment. On the other hand, more money means I can pay the bounty for more volunteers... is there a common understanding, which is a better option?

Washington definitly is my target in the east, besides any vulnerable union troops. But typically how much force is needed to storm Washington, with its locked garrison in the city? 1500+ strength ?
Hmm, I need CS more than WS, so Jefferson is certainly more attractive. Maybe I should blow up Rolla and head to Jefferson instead.

One question about defending fort, particularly at Ft henry and island 10. Their initial strength is too weak to stand against any direct assault, I tried to send in more troop, but how much would be enough to force the Union to at least stop and siege?

Another question about (general) strategy, when the Union player has chosen to dug in in the East, he might loss 20 NM in '62 but could as well crush me in the other theaters. How to counter this defensive strategy, when the CSA have (at best) equal strength with USA in VA ?

Jim-NC

Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Bah, Inflation ain't bad until 20% or more. Your style of play will dictate events, and how you use your options. I for one always run out of CS points (you can't get any more than you start with). You can build brigs to get $ and WS (or industrialize). You have to capture tents to get men, and the total quantity on the map is fixed before the game starts (you get a small boost by having high NM). So if the option is 4% inflation or paying a bounty, I always pay the bounty (but then I know that I will run out of CS points). If you build more arty and ships, you limit maybe money, in which case, strike that, as the CSA, you need men, men, and more men.

Assaults should be 3 or 4 to 1 so if Washington has a power of 500, you need 1500 to 2000 power. Watch out for naval guns, they increase power, but don't fight in land battles.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shi4stone823
Private

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:13 pm

After a close inspection in the Gulf, I realize there is another division sitting on the river side, might try to cross the river. And I had thought one boat can prevent crossing, but according to Wiki, I need 4 boats at least.... err........ situation down there at gulf doesn't look good. Then why Hamilton is still sit in the marsh? he could simply go across the river anytime he want!

Jim-NC

Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:03 am

Could be activation or your ships. A single boat can block passage sometimes (there is a % chance for each ship element in the blocking force).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shi4stone823
Private

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:14 am

[color="#FFFF00"]Drafting and Bond[/color]

The last turn in '61 sees a lot administration actions. The Union looks too strong and haven't risk any direct attack. I can't sit there and wait him to build up. I decided to go for all-in policy, 8& bond, Money print and exceptional Taxes, 1k bounty volunteers and full mobilization! I want to build up my army to a sizeable force as soon as possible.

With these sudden influx of money and manpower, I have difficulties in choosing where to build the units:
In the VA theatre, my goal in 62 is to make several limited offensive into MD, to force the Union divert more resource into this area. and if he doesn't I might try to storm Washington or Baltimore. At least I will steal those 20NM from him if he choose not to advance.
I have 6 division now in VA, but I will redeploy one of them to Kentucky front, and leaving only 5 facing 6-7 Union division. I expect Union to add a few more troops in VA after new year, so I will build 3 divisions to prepare for the limited offensive action.

In the Mid theater, my plan is to hold island 10- Humboldt-Nashville line, at least through the mid '62, in the worst case retreat to Memphis-Corinth-Decatur-Chattanooga line. But the Kentucky front is severely under strength, only 2 division now, opposing 3-4 Union ones, and one led by Grant. I need to recruit another 2-3 divisions at least. TN have good brigades, but considering the Union is already advancing towards the Tenseness river, I don't want to risk them being built at abandoned cities like Clark Field, nor am I sure if they can be built in time to reinforce the defence at Nashville. So I will build only 2 big brigades in TN, hoping they will both show up south of Tenseness river and 3 big brigades plus a few smaller ones in LA. I will also railroad one division from F'burg VA together with PGT and 1 newly built brigade from NC. They will arrive in 2 turns, not that fast but still quicker than raising new units, might even see some actions when just arrived if Union go for aggressive.

Gulf area can hold, but if I want to really contain the three division landed there, I need more units, particularly from GA to reinforce Montgomery AL. So 4 brigades + some art from GA to form up a new division. In addition, 5 more gunboats are built to interdict the river crossing.

West theatre offers me rather tempting flanking opportunity. The union sit at St, Louis with 250+ strength, 1 rgt guarding Jeffersson and no significant cav force to be seen. Both St.Louis and Jeffersson produce 1 CS each, and St Louis is producing a lot supply, enough for one division man I think. So I plan to make a move to secure Jefferson at least, and continuing threating St.louis. if opportunity arise, I might as well try to capture that nice city. 3 small brigades and 3 10lbs are built in MO, and 2 more militia to secure the supply line from Cav raid, and free up Wattie for more useful stuff. I really want to build one big brigade from AR, but it is too far and I need some CS reserve for replacement.

shi4stone823
Private

Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:22 am

Jim-NC wrote:Could be activation or your ships. A single boat can block passage sometimes (there is a % chance for each ship element in the blocking force).

Again, thanks for the quick reply!
That's good news, I thought one need at least 4 ships as per the strategy guide in Wiki.
4 boats or more are needed, whatever their order is (offensive or defensive), to block the crossing of enemy ground forces in a water region. Look carefully for blocking all the water region (sometimes you can cross a river using two different regions to reach the same land region. This is a very valuable capability, since you can prevent some areas from infiltrations while you concentrate your troops in other strategic places.

It would be really good know how much is the % chance of interdicting per ship, I have rather limited ship building pool...

Jim-NC

Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:14 am

Search the forums. Or you could look here.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shi4stone823
Private

Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:35 pm

Thanks again, Jim! that explains why 4 ships are needed. This makes me rethink the strategy in the Gulf landing zone.

[color="#FFFF00"]Gulf:[/color]

Okay, since I can't guarantee to prevent the Union from crossing the river and lay siege to Mobile, I may have to evacuate from Pensacola, which I had hoped to hold on to deny Union any resupply from the sea. Even though outnumbered 3 to 1 if the Union intend to take it back with full force, I think I still stand a fair chance to give them a bloody nose in the swamp terrain, plus the poor generalship like the 'old brain' Halleck (I am actually betting on him to be inactive). But if they choose to try Mobile and succeed in crossing, then it could be a disaster for me. So shall I order Steward to run back to Mobile or stay put??

shi4stone823
Private

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:08 pm

[color="#FF0000"]Early Jan '62[/color]

[color="#FFFF00"]Home front[/color]
Well, lots of decisions here in the last turn. Let's see how did they go.

first comes the good news from our ambassador in London, our blockade threat had increase 16 FI and Union blockade further increased it by 6, thus now the British is on the verge of declaring war to USA (74 FI!). let's hope that we can see those red coat in action soon.

1k bounty inspired 285 CS, 15 less than predicted, and Full mobilization called in only 652 CS, again, a bit less than expected. But they are enough to raising units as planned.
and with the all-in financial policy, our NM is down to 111 and inflation up to 14%.

[color="#FFFF00"][size=134]East [/size][/color]
Nothing much, billizard prevent any meaningful moves. The weather become a bit milder this turn, I am sending out cav to scout in MD and hopefully gain a bit MC in the region across Harpers Ferry. I am waiting for the opportunity to strike at DC.

[color="#FFFF00"]Gulf[/color]
In the end I decided to burn and run from Pensacola, and the all three Union divisions arrived when the wrecked depot is still burning. That is a close call! A Cav rgt is ordered to cut the rail from Pansacola and then hide into the woods in neighbouring region.

[color="#FFFF00"]mid[/color]
Both Polk and A Johnston retreated as plan, and a large union force under McCellen, (3.5 divisions) are slowing moving towards Bowling green. On the far bank of Mississippi river, Hamilton pulled off the tent and marched south. He seems to be determined to flank my left. And 2 more small union brigades and arty are moving to Charlston. But Cario seems to be garrisoned by only one militia and two arty. I am considering to order Polk to raid Cairo and ordered more ships to patrol along the river to interdict any possible crossing.

[color="#FFFF00"] West[/color]
I splited Price's division in two and captured Jeffersson with half of the division. Luckily, new units are being raised at Rolla, and can join the defence there soon.

shi4stone823
Private

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:14 pm

[color="#FF0000"]Late March ‘62[/color]

It seems our turn plays too fast to allow me update this AAR every single turn. It hasn’t been much action throughout Jan-Feb, as both of us are so afraid of the cold..

Last 2 turns, though, we finally break the stalemate and made some dramatic actions.

First, let’s look at the [color="#FFFF00"]Kentucky front[/color].

Reinforced by new recruits, and a veteran division from VA, now the Army of Tennessee bolsters almost 5 divisions! 3 of them holding the TN border against 4 Union division in KY, and 2 dug in at Paducah, with some brigades waiting for Breckinridge to form up the 6th division.
As scouts reported already in Jan, Cairo is poor guarded, but I have to wait for the division to build up and hoping the weather will turn warm soon before I risk a raid. In the early march, there is no sign that the snow is stopping, and newly appointed division commander Forrester Persuaded E. Johnson to make the move.
Ferry over the icy river is not easy, but Forrester successfully force marched the poor souls to storm Cairo, destroying the single militia rgt and capturing the guns. The fighting casualties is small, but the harsh weather took its toll. Worse, soon an epidemic spread over the camp, effectively knock out any combat strength left in his division.
In late march, Lyons newly formed division stationed at St. Louis pull off the camp and left. Later, Watie’s indian busy tear apart rail roads around Salem IL reported to have seen Lyon on the train heading their way. I suspect he is coming to recapture Cairo. Fortunately, the rail system in that area is pretty much destroyed, and might take 1 or 2 turns more to reach Cairo. Hopefully by that time Forrester’s troop have already recovered.
Thu Union had sent in a fleet to block my way south, but if I have to flee, I might be able to go upriver to [color="#FFFF00"]St.Louis[/color], which might as well be in my hand by that time.....

Yes, St Louis is a nice prize for Price’s Missourians, now that Lyon had left, it has only a couple thousand milita and a few arty pieces, which could be put to good use if I manage to capture them. mind you I can’t build any arty in MO as there is no WS output in this region. What I did not know is I can still order them in reinforcement window, they just simply don’t show up and the money is wasted.....

Now back to the main event. [color="#FFFF00"]Virgina[/color]

I have been tempted to strike DC for many turns, but Jackson can only lead 2 division into action before Corps became available, and with that number of troop, I don’t expect I can capture the town, and I definitely don’t have the luxury to lay siege there. So I have to wait, and just sent out Cav to gain MC and reap up rail road to slow down Union reinforcement.

Finally, in Early March, Jackson receives a dispatch that he is now in command of newly formed corps. Reinforced by a few more Columbia pieces and another division shifted from Manassas, he now command a respectable force of 1600+ strength. The only question is if the weather would permit him to force march to DC in 15 days.

On March 23rd. the snow finally melted away, but the road is still muggy. Union soldiers were busy repair the tored up rail road all over in MD, complaining about the pesky reb cav raids. Suddenly they see a strange looking train driving by rush towards DC, then another and another. They thought these must be the delayed Union reinforcement until they heard the sounds of guns on the second day--DC was captured by CSA soldiers storming out from the train station.

[color="#FFFF00"]aftermath[/color]
Although cheers roar up in the south, Jackson remains cool headed, he knew he can’t hold on to DC; and planned to sack DC and take whatever he can (1 Gatling, 1 Fort arty, 1 Naval Arty and 2 Supply) and hop up the train back to Harpers Ferry,

That was a huge blow to the union NM, which now drops to 46 and CSA NM shoot up to 166!
This big shift in NM is not exactly what I expected. I certainly want to force my opponent to react in the east, and cause some damage for his negligence in protecting DC; but on the other hand I don’t want to finish with this game in this single blow, considering we have been built up for so long and neither side have suffered big mistakes, everything is just getting more tense.
But I guess my tough opponent might as well choose to soldier on based on previous experience.

Jim-NC

Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Washington costs him around 50 NM points when he loses it. He won't get back anywhere near that much when he recaptures it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shi4stone823
Private

Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:17 pm

Jim-NC wrote:Washington costs him around 50 NM points when he loses it. He won't get back anywhere near that much when he recaptures it.

I thought so too, after reading through a few related posts. But it turns out his NM jump back 90+ after retaking the city. I only lose 10NM for losing DC though, so at least I got a big lead in NM and put a lot of Yankees out of action.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:52 pm

BTW. it's not "four ships" to block, it's "four ship ELEMENTS" - you can click on each ship counter to see how many elements it has. Some have 2, and the Blockade Flotillas have 8 (that's Union only though). Additionally, your opponent may not be able to see them if, for example, you use brigs!
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

shi4stone823
Private

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Longshanks wrote:BTW. it's not "four ships" to block, it's "four ship ELEMENTS" - you can click on each ship counter to see how many elements it has. Some have 2, and the Blockade Flotillas have 8 (that's Union only though). Additionally, your opponent may not be able to see them if, for example, you use brigs!

Oh, did not notice the difference. but brig can't go to inland rivers, can they?

shi4stone823
Private

The End

Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:36 pm

After capturing DC, things began to turn sour for the Union:
first, both sides have several move orders in the VA front to readjust the front line. And one large engagement broke out. That battle per se is no clear winner, but the critical event is that McDowell's AotP MTSG to support, which lead to a very strange and decisive event next turn.
having sitting in the trenches and staring at each other for almost one year, USA AotP and CSA AotP were sharing Manassas open field peacefully in defensive posture. But for some reason, USA AotP is forced into offensive posture after MTSG in previous turn. And it bravely assaulted CSA level4 or 5 trenches with less than 1 to 1 odds. The result is the virtual destruction of USA AotP, and the balance of the game.
Seeing that the eastern front is secured for the moment, Davis decided to redeploy Jackson with a strong Corps to the Kentucky front, who faithfully carried out the order and cut off the Union advance in that front within one month, giving CSA an NM 185+ and FI 90+.
Finally under both domestic and foreign pressure, the Union recognized CSA.
It had been a very tense game, and the tension was keeping build up, and suddenly, through an battle that surprised both sides, the outcome of the game was set, anti-climax.

Nevertheless, I had enjoyed this game a lot, many nervous and exciting moment, thanks to my respectable opponent AndreaR, who had never hesitated to share his knowledge and experience about the game.

RystoII
Conscript

Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:03 pm

Very fun game,
congratulation on your victory.

Risto II

(Andrea)

Jim-NC

Sun Apr 15, 2012 12:19 am

RystoII wrote:Very fun game,

Risto II

(Andrea)

Welcome to the forums Risto II.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

shi4stone823
Private

Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:50 am

Ha, nice to see you here. So you have to register a new username in the end...

It would be great you can post some strategy and observations here from the other side of the hill. :cool: (might be useful for our next fight :thumbsup :)

RystoII wrote:Very fun game,

Risto II

(Andrea)

Return to “American Civil War AARs”