rattler01
Captain

Rattler01 (USA)vs Rebel Yell (CSA) AAR (USA perspetive)

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:16 pm

A few notes before we begin. It is current turn 49 in our game, so feel free and to say what you want and armchair QB,... I mean "critique" has you wish. Actually please post so I know people are reading this, as it does take a while to get do any of the recent turns.The first turn I did was turn 35, and that took about 5 hours, so expect these non important ones to be a little plain. Also if their are any inconsistancies please let me know, has I may not remember to mention all my moves. I am using paint for all sceenies.

On my side only, I treated this game a little differently, in that I was very conservative with spending VP points, focused my attention on easy VP areas, and was conservative with my troops (like the tourney). At the same time I tried to stay away from gamey tactics to achieve victory.

House rules are:
Settings:
Historical Attrition
Standard Naval
3 redeployments (for spawning generals only and no issuing movement orders)
Normal Foreign
No random generals
Normal activation

House rules:
Mobilization:

1.) For the South: No Part-Mobilization before Early April 1862 and Full Mobilization not before Early September 1862

2.) For the north: Part-Mobilization from Late September 1862 , Full Mobilization from Early January 1863

Every side can wait as long as they want to Part-Mobilization , but there must be a Part-Mobilization once before a Full Mobilization can occur.

If England/France enters the war on CSA Side the Northern Player is allowed to "Full-Mobilize" CSA can match any USA mobilize if they do.

Raiders:

For the CSA: In the border states: West Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware, and Missouri. Can raid with single units. In "non-border-states" like Illinos must take a leader and 3 units to raid.

For the USA: Always the USA Player must take a leader and 3 units to raid.

Scouts are ok

Emancipation Declaration (North): Only after the USA Player had a victory after September 1862 where the northern player won 3 Morale points in single battle or the northern player has taken 3 Major cities like Vicksburg, Memphis and New Orleans.

Cotton Embargo, Total Blockade, Warbonds, Calling for volunteers and so on is always allowed.

Eastern front:

Because of the inbalance in auto generated units and the influence of stripted events. There should be no conflict in VA or MD until the armies have released. WV is free game.
"To fallen comrades. And Winged Warriors; past, present, and future. One team, one fight. Winged Warriors."

rattler01
Captain

Turn 1

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:19 pm

(This will be the general format) (no Screen shots until turn 5)

Events:

South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas have left the Union.

East:

Zzz

West:

Zzz

Trans-Mississippi:

Zzz

Politics:

Zzz

Builds:

Replacements: x5 Line INF, x5 ART, x1 Cav, x 2 militia

Score: USA v CSA

FI:

NM:
85v100

VP:
50v50

Losses:
0 v 0
"To fallen comrades. And Winged Warriors; past, present, and future. One team, one fight. Winged Warriors."

rattler01
Captain

Turn 2

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:21 pm

Events:

Fort Sumter Bombarded +1 NM
Carl Schurz raises 1 cavalry element in New York
Lincoln calls for volunteers +50WS +75 Conscripts
Blockade of the Confederacy Blockade flotillas formed
The Pratt Street Riots -5 WS -10 supply/ammo from Baltimore, RR destroyed
Virginia Secede from the Union

East:

Schurz's Cav to Baltimore
L.L. Wallace to Annapolis to take over USMC
Shields, Morell, Howe, and McCall to Cairo
Hurlbut, Nelson, Wood, and Blenker to Allegany, MD
Hamilton redeployed to St. Louis
Milroy redeployed to Indianapolis
Keys redeployed to H. Ferry VA

West:

Zzz

Trans-Mississippi:
Zzz

Politics:

Blockade

Builds:

Reinforcements: <note X=INF, M=Militia, C=CAV, S=SS, A= 6lbs> <colors set to state ones in game>
None

Replacements: x7 Line INF, x2 Light INF, x4 Cav

NAVY:

Norfolk ships to Hampton Roads

FI:

NM:
86v101

VP:
78v84

Losses:
0vs360

rattler01
Captain

Turn 3

Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:49 pm

Events:

Blockade results in -8 FI
CSA uses Exceptional Taxes, 8% war bonds, call for volunteers
Ericsson Folly Monitor begins construction -5 WS
Arkansas and Tennessee Secede from the Union
Washington brigade forms +2 Elite Inf elements
Eastern Army forms in Alexandria

East:

Norfolk falls to CSA
Schurz's Cav begins fixing Baltimore RR
L.L. Wallace and Griffon with USMC
Asboth and Humphreys move to Alexandria to support army
Keys with Washington Brigade move to Morgan WV to help along B.O. Railroad

West:

Shields, Morell, Howe, and McCall continue to Cairo

Trans-Mississippi:

Zzz

Politics:

8% War Bonds Issued
Exceptional taxes
Call for Volunteers with 1,000 bounty

Builds: (Does this make sense to people? I liked how more detailed it was than a screenie, but I can't seem to find a way to highlight in the forms :bonk:

Replacements:
None

Heavy Industry in MO and KS

NAVY:

USS Saint Louis moves to scout Pensacola Harbor
USS Brooklyn sets to join FT Monroe Fleet

FI:

NM:
86v101

VP:
123v49

Losses:
0 v 360

rattler01
Captain

Turn 4

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:01 pm

Events:

St. Louis massacre! Lyon appears, huge loss of loyalty across MO
Martial Law in Maryland +5 WS +20 conscripts 3 INF element Brigade appears in Baltimore
North Carolina secedes from the Union
Patterson's Army appears in Allegany

East:

New MD wagon moves from Baltimore to Alexandria to form Depot
Schurz with Cav and Inf to Hampton roads
Patterson's command broken up amongst Hurlburt and Wood to establish control of B&O RR
Patterson wagon to Chambers, MD to support forming union forces

West:

Ohio gunboats to Cairo
Cairo gunboats move to scout Island 10.
Shields, Morell, Howe, and McCall redirected to St. Louis

Trans-Mississippi:

MO wagon join Lyod's command
Forces prepare for pushing into MO.

Politics:

None

Builds:

Reinforcements:
<note X=INF, M=Militia, C=CAV, S=SS, A= 6lbs> <colors set to state ones in game>

Regular: x5(X,M) MO brigade

Replacements: x1SS, x5 L ART

NAVY:

USS Brooklyn to scout York river
Chesapeake scouts move to watch Fredericksburg

FI:

NM:
84v101

VP:
33v49

Losses:
0v360

rattler01
Captain

Turn 5

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Events:
CSA prints money
General Mansfield arrives with California Brigade forms (x3 Elite INF, and x1 SS) in Philadelphia

East:

The California Brigade under Mansfield will move to reinforce Wallace's Marines at H. Ferry. Patterson's former command continues to gain control of B.O. Rail line divided among three regions. The goal here is not only to allow me to rail troops along this line, but also to stop CSA forces from using it for quick strikes at Wheeling or Pittsburgh. In Harrisburg, I will deploy 2,500 men to guard against attack from the quick Jackson. Another 2,500 men will take positions in Loudon to prevent movement into Maryland. And create a front from Alexandria to H. Ferry. Shurz's arrives with 1,900 men to reinforce Fort Monroe with another 3,500 men and 12 cannon that are en rout from New Jersey. I can't get to Manassas before he heavily reinforces it. My plan is to wait to see how he disperses his forces. From there I will maneuver to exploit his stationary position. He has begone to dig in at Fredericksburg. Therefore my main goal will be to maneuver behind him to Culpeper, securing that vital position. I'm also constructing a depot in Alexandria to speed along replacements. A wagon from Patterson's command is also going to join the newly formed Cumberland force to make sure they stay supplied.

West:
Zzz

Trans-Mississippi:

As expected the depot in Rolla was blown, as was the one in Springfield. Well, that was the reason for building a wagon in MO earlier. I will use Lyons current wagon to re-establish a depot and use the 2 that will unlock to keep my advancing forces supplied. 5,500 men under Lyon and Hamilton will move straight for Jefferson City and recoup for a drive south. I am dispatching the riverine transports to be ready to dock in Jefferson City. McCall will advance through Rolla and continue to Vienna with 1,300 men (600 is Cav). Another, 1,300 men under Milroy in Indianapolis will move to Union MO to add more men to this front. I am doing my best to insure there are no command penalties in Lyon's force to ensure maximum travel speed. Foote's Fleet will sail to Cairo where all my gunboats are gathering. Two elements of cavalry are being sent to scout Springfield and Fayetteville.

Politics:

Zzz

Builds:

Reinforcements:
<note X=INF, M=Militia, C=CAV, S=SS, A= 6lbs> <colors set to state ones in game>

Replacements:

None

NAVY:
30% Blockade
As ships unlock they will head for Hampton Roads

FI:-4

NM:

84v100

VP:
113vs144

Losses:

0v360

rattler01
Captain

Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:39 pm

Authors note: Please excuse the non-personal writing so far. I'm currently deployed in Afghan and sometimes time is a little short. I also want to get to the more exciting stuff. If anyone as any suggestions to change the format please say so.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:16 pm

Great to get another AAR, keep it coming and very nice short format so far. As a CSA fan boy, I hope you don't do too well too quickly. And take care in AFG.

rattler01
Captain

Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:32 pm

Events:
Military Balloons, 1 element of balloons in D.C.

East:
The B&O is mine! Wood and Blenker men will move to Grafton along with some 2,500 men from Pittsburgh. Keys and Hulburts men totaling about 4,500 men will join Mansfield's California Brigade in H. Ferry. The marines are heading to Cairo to assist with operations in the West. Generals Hunter, Asboth, Humphrey's, and Runyon are heading to Loudon to provide that force of 2,600 men with no command penalties. Even with the depot McDowell's Northeastern Virginia Army is only ½ strength with 15,000 men and 80 cannons. Another 4,600 men (including Harrisburg defensive force) and 24 cannons will arrive to reinforce him. Schurz men in Fort Monroe will advance on cavalrymen in Hampton, along with landings there of Monroe's reinforcements.

West:
All units forming in IL and IN are RR to Cairo for actions on the Mississippi. This turn 6,500 men and 24 cannons will arrive. Along with 3 completed gunboats. I have positioned two 3 element troops near Ironton and another one near New Albany to prepare for the strike into Kentucky.

Trans-Mississippi:
Image(I'll fix it later.)
Rolla and Jefferson City fall! All USA forces move to Erie MO to rest and reorganize for assault on Springfield. Men continue to join Lyon from Kansas to St. Louis. Some militia will stay in Vienna to achieve 25% MC for the Railroad and garrison Jefferson City. My Transports will dock to create a depot to keep the forces supplied. My scouts report only a paltry force in Springfield and Fayetteville. Force numbers will be given when the troops assemble.

Politics:
Total Blockade +1NM +15VP
1,000 bounty volunteers
5% war bonds -25VP
Exceptional taxes -2NM +1% inflation (@3%)

Builds:

Reinforcements: <note X=INF, M=Militia, C=CAV, S=SS, A= 6lbs> <colors set to state ones in game>

Replacements: x6 INF

NAVY:

I am sending 2 blockade squadrons from the Atlantic and the 2 ½ sized ones in Hampton roads to bolster the Gulf Blockade.

FI:

NM:
84vs100

VP:
145vs193

Losses:

0vs360

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:41 pm

Because of the inbalance in auto generated units and the influence of stripted events. There should be no conflict in VA or MD until the armies have released. WV is free game.

That's hard on the Union, which is perhaps what you intended. Manassas is a -10 NM if you don't take it. The best shot at taking it is with the elite brigade and the Marines. After Johnston or Bory gets there, fuh-getta-bout-it.

But you bring up a good point. Most of the scripts don't even make sense in the games I see. For example, the TAKE MANASSAS! newspaper script makes no sense if you take F'burg, land on the Peninsula, etc., all of which is possible.
The "X is Active" scripts often don't matter either, if you've already replaced that General (McDowell or McClellan). The "keep 45 elements next to Washington DC" is also a laugher if you're about to cut off Richmond, defeat Bory's Army, etc. The scripts are good for flavor, but as a guide to game play... the best way to put it is "we are not amused."

rattler01
Captain

Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:43 am

Actually I might do away with that house rule. While the USMC and Washington Brigade can take it. If the CSA moves the Fort Sumter force up agianst it they will retake it before event starts. One time I did this and set "hold at all costs" and both units were destroyed. High price to pay for a destroying a militia unit.

Chuske
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Really enjoying this AAR so far. Rattler at this stage how do you organise US Army of N.Virginia? Everything in 1 stack or smaller stacks without CP penalty?
Useful Info for Beginners

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
William Tecumseh Sherman

rattler01
Captain

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:42 pm

I usually keep everything in one stack. Unless I move a strike group out. Then I try to assemble a force with no CP penalties.

Sorry for no updates recently. I'm nearing the end of my deployment in Afghan and have been really busy. Barely able to keep my tourney game going. I do still plan on continueing this AAR.

Chuske
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:17 pm

rattler01 wrote:I usually keep everything in one stack. Unless I move a strike group out. Then I try to assemble a force with no CP penalties.

Sorry for no updates recently. I'm nearing the end of my deployment in Afghan and have been really busy. Barely able to keep my tourney game going. I do still plan on continueing this AAR.

Thanks Rattler.

Don't worry about the AAR, getting through your deployment is most important thing.

That said it is a really great format for AAR and nice to have an up to date AAR from Union side. I've found what you've written so far really helpful in getting better handle on early campaign strategy. :thumbsup:
Useful Info for Beginners

"If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."

William Tecumseh Sherman

Return to “American Civil War AARs”