charlesonmission

Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:25 am

Cool video Newman! Looks like grim times for the Union. However, did you actually take NO? If so, that is awesome! I see there is no general there. Your boys will fight much better if a general is there with them. Couple points, on river crossings, you need to have 4 non-transport elements to stop the enemy from crossing the river. So the sole ironclad in KY isn't doing anything really. Make sure you have blockade fleets in the blockade boxes on G/G to avoid cohesion loss. If you are trying to actually blockade a harbour, they will need be on at least defense though.

Newman5
Conscript

Late March 62

Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:29 am

http://youtu.be/WUw5aTzbqyI

Just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

I think I'm at the limit of my present knowledge of the game. Anyway, I'm just trying to finish out the game.

Thanks to all!

charlesonmission

Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:13 am

Newman,

The lower cohesion a force is the slower they will move if not on RR. So, your foces near MD nearly have 0 cohesion, which means they basically won't move.

Generally, it isn't a good idea to keep forces inside a city as they can be besieged (like in NO). In the ACW, nearly all forces that were besieged eventually surrendered, so the game represents this well.

If you want, I can play a practice PBEM game with you and sort of guide you more on how to form divisions, corps, armies, etc, etc, etc. I'm around till March 27th before I go offline, basically.

Charles

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Mon Mar 05, 2012 4:17 pm

charlesonmission wrote:Newman,

The lower cohesion a force is the slower they will move if not on RR. So, your foces near MD nearly have 0 cohesion, which means they basically won't move.

Generally, it isn't a good idea to keep forces inside a city as they can be besieged (like in NO). In the ACW, nearly all forces that were besieged eventually surrendered, so the game represents this well.

If you want, I can play a practice PBEM game with you and sort of guide you more on how to form divisions, corps, armies, etc, etc, etc. I'm around till March 27th before I go offline, basically.

Charles

While in general it is not a good idea to leave units in cities, the action is completely appropriate if 1) you are building a relief force that will be coming to lift the siege, and/or 2) the location is completely vital to your survival (such as Washington DC), 3) you are really serious about delaying your enemy for 4 turns or so, knowing you'll lose the troops inside (Vicksburg, historically, I suppose).

I can't say I "do it all the time" but there is usually a situation or two during a game when I will allow units to be besieged, knowing that I have a high chance of relieveing them before they surrender or are assaulted. The hard decision on units inside such places is: 1) do I have enough supply? (it's pointless to leave them inside if you don't) and 2) should I use Red on defense (stand or die)?

charlesonmission

Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:47 pm

All good points Longshanks. I did use forts at Paducah, Norfolk, and Nashville in my AAR that went all the way to 1866. However, I was the CSA. In the tourney, the Union needs to be moving forward, not building forts. At least, I think that is what General Grant would have said.

Charles

Longshanks wrote:While in general it is not a good idea to leave units in cities, the action is completely appropriate if 1) you are building a relief force that will be coming to lift the siege, and/or 2) the location is completely vital to your survival (such as Washington DC), 3) you are really serious about delaying your enemy for 4 turns or so, knowing you'll lose the troops inside (Vicksburg, historically, I suppose).

I can't say I "do it all the time" but there is usually a situation or two during a game when I will allow units to be besieged, knowing that I have a high chance of relieveing them before they surrender or are assaulted. The hard decision on units inside such places is: 1) do I have enough supply? (it's pointless to leave them inside if you don't) and 2) should I use Red on defense (stand or die)?

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Just a word to Newman: courage!

He's getting an armful of learning in his current tourney game, where Durk (CSA) is showing him how the Rebel army can swarm over you on all fronts. However, he's sticking with it, trying to learn something every turn even in the face of seemingly sure defeat.

Most of us had our butts handed to us on a plate in an early PBEM. One-Armed Mexican, for example, "learnt me my lesson" as we say down South when I first tried to take New Orleans without knowing all the tricks of the trade.

But sometimes defeat is how you learn. Don't give up, you will learn this game, and one day you can teach Durk and me both a lesson WE haven't learned yet. So: courage!
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

charlesonmission

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:34 pm

I also had the same experience with One Armed Mexican in my first AAR. He ran circles around me, literally.

Charles

Longshanks wrote:Just a word to Newman: courage!

He's getting an armful of learning in his current tourney game, where Durk (CSA) is showing him how the Rebel army can swarm over you on all fronts. However, he's sticking with it, trying to learn something every turn even in the face of seemingly sure defeat.

Most of us had our butts handed to us on a plate in an early PBEM. One-Armed Mexican, for example, "learnt me my lesson" as we say down South when I first tried to take New Orleans without knowing all the tricks of the trade.

But sometimes defeat is how you learn. Don't give up, you will learn this game, and one day you can teach Durk and me both a lesson WE haven't learned yet. So: courage!

Durk

Thu Mar 08, 2012 6:04 am

Is One Armed Mexican our mutual Antagonist, opponent from whom we learned the most? This was my learning, too.
I do love learning through watching someone so great defeat me.

nemethand
Colonel

Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:51 pm

charlesonmission wrote:Generally, it isn't a good idea to keep forces inside a city as they can be besieged (like in NO). In the ACW, nearly all forces that were besieged eventually surrendered, so the game represents this well.

I think one case in which you may consider putting your troops inside a structure when you want to regain cohesion faster.

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:22 pm

Durk wrote:Is One Armed Mexican our mutual Antagonist, opponent from whom we learned the most? This was my learning, too.
I do love learning through watching someone so great defeat me.

I thought he'd be in the tourney, but alas, no. Clearly, our mutual improvement in knowledge and skills has intimidated him! :evilgrin:
Two Rules: 1. The Tournament Director is always right. 2. When the Tournament Director is wrong, see Rule 1.

Newman5
Conscript

Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:01 pm

What a great game! Thanks to everyone watching this thread and encouraging me. I'm very glad for the support and will definitely recommend to any noob to join the tourney. The tourney format gives you a chance 'to play above your level' and everyone was great to me - despite my lack of game skill.

Looking forward to the next game!

Now, I'm off to struggle against the AI and re-do the tutorials.

cheers,
newman5

Return to “American Civil War AARs”