oberst_klink
Lieutenant

AAR creation & tools of the trade

Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:47 pm

I am just wondering what tools of the trade most of ya's are using for AAR & tutorials. I bumped into PhotoScape and this open source program seems to be nicely suited for the tasks. What about other programs? Just curious...

Klink, Oberst
Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam
(Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius)

Don't forget to visit the Gefechtsstand!

Jim-NC

Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:05 am

I use MS Paint (it comes with windows) for my pictures, and any graphics/lines/squiggles I may make.

Helpful hint, make all pictures the same size (preferably the size of the post - that way people don't have to scroll over).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:44 am

I use Gimp for picture enhancing. As Jim said, scale them down. 900 width works for me but they can be a little wider.

I sometimes use Notepad to do the writings. That way I don't need to do it at one go but can store them as plain text and copy&paste them later.

To spice up the posts with maps look here. There are other sites as that one but this I like best for the Eastern theater.

Fantastic photos can be found here. Although from the Union perspective mostly there are many pearls like this one. Here some of the same photos and additional ones can be found.

Mickey3D

Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:17 pm

If you want a very easy and free screen capture tool with some basic image modification capacity (add text, arrows, basic forms, ...) you can use FastStone Capture 5.3 (later versions are not free).

Return to “American Civil War AARs”