charlesonmission

Charles (CSA) vs. Mortar (USA) Nov 1864

Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:00 am

Hi there,

This AAR will be a bit different, but hopefully no less interesting. It is starting in late November 1864. Now, in case you think we started in the 1864 scenario, we didn't. We started in July 1861. I also hope that in addition to being interesting, it will teach new players some of the aspects of the game. I want to thank Mortar for the game as he's been a great opponent, and we've been at it a while, but are continuing on.

I'm happy to receive corrections on any explanations I make and I'm happy to answer questions. However, please don't give strategic advice as this is an ongoing game.

1.16 without quick fix
Scenario: July 1861 w/Kentucky
No redeployments
Historical Attrition
Full activation
Historical generals
Raiding - basically border states, although I can't exactly remember now

Firstly, I will give you a general overview. Clicking F9.

[ATTACH]16037[/ATTACH]

The top left section tells you the scenario you are playing, as well as general guidelines on how to achieve victory.
For the Union to:
Destroy the CSA army in VA: Hasn't been done
Capture Fort Henry and Donnellson: Has been done
Consolidate Kentucky and MO: Has been done
Control the Mississippi: Hasn't been done
Capture or blockade southern ports: Hasn't been done

As you can see, it appears to be a mixed bag for the Union.

For the CSA to:
Defeat the Union Armies before being overwhelmed: Hasn't been done
Protect the South from invasion by land and sea: Mostly has been done
Control Kentucky and MO: Hasn't been done
Control the Mississippi river: Has been done

Again, a mixed bag, this time for the CSA.

Of course, these guidelines are mere idea of historically what he objectives were in war. As a player you can do things very differently.

The next section down is National Morale (NM). NM is one of the most important aspects of your ability to wage war. NM impacts the power of your forces and your production values. There are 'sets' where it changes, of which I don't know where they are exactly as I'm not such a big formula person. Having said that, CSA NM is 97 and Union NM is 127. That is a substantial edge. However, 97 is nearly par and I can hold forces still for a number of reasons (high trench values of 7 and 8 being one of them).

The next section down is Capital. This section shows where your capital is. Mine is is Richmond and I've chosen to leave it there no matter what. Foreign entry is -17 for me. You need foreign entry of 100 to activate England (and France too?) I've never had this happen and I believe it is rather rare. Prisoners of war, I hold 7,800 Union prisoners. Unfortunately I don't know how many prisoners the Union holds. Finally, total combat losses, this is interesting as we both have nearly the exact same number of 278,000. Keep in mind that this doesn't include the attrition losses as far as I know which historically were also rather large. Furthermore, the CSA had about 300,000 casualties historically, so I'm approaching that number. The Union's historical number of 600,000 is well off. Mortar has played a very good game!

The next section down is victory points. Victory points do two things. One, in the event where no one wins, the player with the most victory points wins. Secondly, they are used in the game to "make decisions". Promote generals, sell bonds, etc. CSA has 3,639 and the Union has 3,662, a slight edge. I get 46 a turn and the Union gets 49, a slight edge as well. Two points here, I've never been able to mathematically figure out how this is calculated. I always assumed it was simply based on the VP number per village/town/city. However, it doesn't always appear to be the case, or it might be that VPs listed here are the historical one from the previous turn finished and not the one coming up; I think this is the most likely scenario. Secondly, does anyone know how to check how many VPs one will lose when promoting generals? Lastly, the scenario will end early Jan 1866. Yes, this is about 6 months longer than the actual ACW, but it is there to give some time for the war to play out where the CSA can keep on going.

If you now look to your right, you will see the Objectives list. The list shows the names of the cities, the flag (who currently controls the objective), a number in parentheses (I believe this is the NM hit you take or gain by taking the objective. Can someone confirm this?), and the region they are in. A player doesn't pay attention to his or her objectives at their peril. Objectives generally are strategic locations, provide conscripts, WS, $, or are a key harbour. Losing them really hurts your war effort. The CSA has 9 objectives and the Union 6. However, the Union controls St. Louis, Little Rock, and Louisville. That should tell you that the CSA has not made head way or been able to hold MO, Arkansas, and Kentucky. All the objectives are reasonable except for New York City. I've never understood why it was there. The CSA taking New York City is beyond the realm of possibility in history, and should be in this game too. Baltimore MD or Harrisonburg PA would be more realistic objectives.

Well, that is just F9. You can get a huge amount of information from these screens. It is always good to slow down and check in on what is happening.

Charles
Attachments
F9.JPG

charlesonmission

F8 - Politics

Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:22 am

The next screen to look at, moving from right to left, is F8 - the politics screen. F8 gives you three general options, moving the capital, engaging in a diplomatic move, and exchanging prisoners. We will look at each one in detail.

[ATTACH]16038[/ATTACH]

Move capital: Moving the capital is an option in the game just as it was in real history. Historically, the capital was moved from Montgomery to Richmond early on in the conflict in 1861. It was never moved again though. That isn't to say it shouldn't have been moved from Richmond in 1864, but the CSA didn't, according to Jeff Sharra's novels because of Davis' insistence that Richmond be held at all costs, which led to the siege of Petersburg and the rest is history. Now, by clicking on the paragraph below move capital it will scroll through options on where you can move the capital. Currently for me these are Memphis, New Orleans, and Atlanta. As I mentioned earlier, I've chosen to not move the capital in this game no matter what.

Diplomatic option: Here you need to be careful as "embargo" isn't the only option. You can also give concessions which will increase Foreign Intervention. However, I always choose embargo as it provides a 3 NM boost.

Prisoner of war exchange: The prisoner of war exchange option isn't well explained. It says I must wait 4 turns before choosing it again, but I'm not certain that the Union has agreed to it. Ideally, one would get a report saying you received this many of your prisoners and gave up this many. However, that doesn't happen. I've heard that the release is based on letting go 1/3 of your prisoners, not 1 for 1. That seems odd to me as I would have assumed that it is 1 for 1 historically.

Right, that is F8.

Charles
Attachments
F8.JPG

charlesonmission

F7 – Attorney General

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:07 am

I’m not going to write very much about this section for 2 reasons. Firstly, I’ve never changed the liberties from “full liberty. Secondly, I’m not really sure when it is in the CSA interest to do so and I’ve never played as the Union. The other options are Habeas Corpus and Martial law. Both of these options set limits of loyalty on both ends at (15% to 85% and 30% to 70%) respectively.

[ATTACH]16039[/ATTACH]

Loyalty is very important in the game. Basically, the higher the loyalty of a town, the more they will produce. Towns with low loyalty that you control that aren’t garrisoned can have partisans appear. Furthermore, if the loyalty is low partisans can appear. Loyalty also gives you detection bonuses. If region is especially hostile (loyalty less than 10%) and it isn’t garrisoned, an enemy unit will take over the region. Searching loyalty in the manual will give you some more specific %s. In my case here, you will see I have full liberty for all of my states. You will also notice a couple other points; I can’t change Arkansas, MO, and Kentucky. This is because I don’t control the state. Finally, take a look at the right of the picture, it gives details on VA. Fairfax gives me 0% as it has been under Union control the entire game. Basically, the people there never expect to see the CSA again. Ft. Monroe on the other hand is 100%.
Attachments
F7.JPG

charlesonmission

F6 – Secretary of the Treasury

Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:28 am

F6 provides a wealth of information, all of it is very important.

First of all look to the right and you will see some details on Tennessee. You will note that in the top right it says “no industrialisation”. This means that I’m not investing any money in TN. Right below you will see that the industrialisation cost is zero, which makes sense. The next section tells us the production output for TN. Supply wagons 287, ammo crates 68, thousand dollars 0, conscript companies 1, tons war supplies 8. You will also notice by looking at the map that I have heavy industrialisation for VA. More on this later, but as a hint, it is to keep my Army of Northern Virginia from starving.

[ATTACH]16040[/ATTACH]

Now, look at the bottom right and you will see a Transport section. This is where you can buy additional railroad and river transport stock. Two issues here, as far as I’m aware, the CSA produces a small amount of railroad and river stock each turn, however, to buy more you simply click on the train or boat. RR is bought in increments of 10 and river in 5. RR and River stock is needed to move supplies and move troops. Some people play a house rule where you can only move troops on the river in an actual fleet. This is more realistic, but for our game we’ve been playing the game without this rule.

In general, I’m interested in knowing that VA, and to a lesser extent TN, can produce enough supplies on it’s own to survive. You will see later on that I’ve lost my depot transfer station in NC, so VA is pretty much on its own now from a supply perspective.
Attachments
F6.JPG

Palpat
Colonel

Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:08 am

This is very intersting, the writing is much precise and easy to follow. And I won't mention a very original setting at "the end" (?) of the war.

I will be following this with very much attention.
And good luck. Give 'em the bayonnet!

charlesonmission

F5 - Secretary of the Treasury

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:16 am

F5 - Secretary of the Treasury

F5 - Secretary of the Treasury. This is the second secretary of the treasury page, the other being F6. F5 gives you 3 general options to raise additional cash: bonds, paper Printing Money, and taxes. The CSA used all 3 historically, to different degrees of success. Again it is important to note that by clicking on the paragraphs, you have different versions.

For bonds, 5, 6, and 8%
Paper printing money – sole option
Taxes, measure, graduated, exceptional.

[ATTACH]16041[/ATTACH]

Now, I haven't chosen any option this round, not because I don’t want to, but because I don’t need to. As you will notice by looking in the bottom left corner, I have very few conscripts. As I don’t need the additional cash, I will wait until late December before proceeding. I always use 8% bonds first, then exceptional taxes, then printing money. Look again at the bottom left table, you will see current stock, planned expense, planed production, next turn stock. Note that those middle two are planned! Especially production! It isn’t guaranteed you will get that exactly. On the top, the columns are for cash, conscripts, and WS. I have very little of any of them. However, that just means I’m putting them to good use! Also note that inflation is 14%, it would be much higher, but I’ve gotten many economic sunrises where it was lowered by 1% each time.

On a final note, bonds are the only option that doesn’t lower NM, which is why I choose that as the first choice.
Attachments
F5.JPG

charlesonmission

F4 - Secretary of War

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:35 am

F4 - Secretary of War is where you choose extra ways to get conscripts. The CSA gets conscripts in 3 ways. First is regularly through cities. Second is through calling for volunteers. Third is through mobilisation. Each one represents a different historical method.

[ATTACH]16043[/ATTACH]

Regularly through cities are people signing up through their own accord. This is rather small. If you click on F6 and scroll over the states you will see the number of conscripts you are getting in each state. Be aware that some generals in control of a garrison in a city can boost conscript number. General Field is in Richmond doing this for me now. I think it is an extra +5 a turn, which is huge!

[ATTACH]16042[/ATTACH]

Calling for volunteers, on the left, can bring in some big numbers. Now you have options here to pay bounties of zero, 1,000, 2,000, and 3,000. The more you pay the more conscripts you get; the last two higher ones also have a NM hit. I always choose 1,000 to avoid the NM hit and the marginal benefit of the next two options doesn’t seem to be worth it, in my opinion. This option is allowed twice a year.

Mobilisation – you have 2 options here, partial and full. These options also bring in large conscript numbers. I think we may have had a house rule to limit this until 1863, but can’t exactly remember now. Anyways, as you can see I’ve used it. Generally as the CSA you’ll need to use this every time in a PBEM game. You can see that will become available in 4 turns. This option is allowed once a year.
Attachments
F4.JPG
F4 Field.JPG

charlesonmission

F3 and F2 - Secretary of War

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:45 am

F3 and F2 - Secretary of War

I’m not going to spend too much time explaining F3 and F2 as I believe they are quite well understand.

[ATTACH]16044[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16045[/ATTACH]

F3 replaces units that aren’t at full strength (called replacements) while F2 raises new units (called reinforcements).

A couple points here. One is that if you have historical attrition on, you need to be in a depot to get up to full strength quickly with replacements. Secondly, when you are recruiting reinforcements, really think about where they are being recruited. It feels bad to have units destroyed as they are being recruited.

You will notice that I have nearly all 0 or 1 for my replacements.
Attachments
F2.JPG
F3.JPG

charlesonmission

F1 - Units Listing

Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:51 am

F1 - Units Listing

[ATTACH]16046[/ATTACH]

F1 isn’t one of the options I bring up very often. It is useful though for sorting. You will see I’ve sorted my generals here by rank and seniority. It’s no surprise that Lee is out the top. If a general is blinking red it means he can be promoted. If you want to find units that are unlocked that haven’t been moved in a turn, use the e,r,t,y keys as that is a much easier way.
Attachments
F1.JPG

charlesonmission

Theatres of operation

Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:19 pm

Theatres of operation

The following posts will take you through the theatres of operations. I classify the theatres as:

Trans-Mississippi
KY, TN, MS, and LA (east of the Mississippi)
VA and NC
AL, FL, GA, SC

Not all of these are the official districts for the CSA during the actual war. However, for the way this war has progressed, it makes sense to create these 4 theatres.

The format for each theatre will be

1. Present general historical comments and ideas
2. Present the history of what happened in this war
3. Present the current situation

charlesonmission

Trans-Mississippi part 1

Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:57 pm

Trans-Mississippi

1. General historical comments and ideas

From Wikipedia - The Trans-Mississippi was the geographic area west of the Mississippi River during the 19th century, containing the states of Arkansas, Louisiana, Missouri and Texas, and the Indian Territory (now Oklahoma). The term was especially used by the Confederate States of America as the designation for the theater of operations west of the Mississippi. The geographical term is generally used today only in matters relating to the study of the American Civil War.
In my game, I count it as only the west part of Louisiana, i.e., west of the Mississippi river. Historically, Missouri in particular fielded a significant amount of CSA solders, I think is somewhere in the 20,000 to 30,000 range. However, they weren’t able to maintain as a cohesive unit the way the Army of Northern Virginia was. This goes a long way to explaining why some of the victories didn’t lead to continual success (in actual history). There are lots of ideas floating around the forum right now what to do in MO. For me, at the end of the day, I don’t like to lose MO as the CSA and would prefer to be on the offensive here. Of course it didn’t happen in this game!

2. The history of what happened in this war

My operations in the Trans-Mississippi were primarily defensive in nature. I held Springfield for a long time and burnt the Union Indian villages. In the end, Mortar made a fleet/2 division move down the Mississippi (this was in 1862 I believe). I thought he was going for Memphis and moved troops there, but Little Rock was hit target. I had not defences in Little Rock and it fell. Mortar then moved on Springfield and after a couple battles with CSA victories Price/Van Dorn gave up Springfield. This led to a long trek for Price/Van Dorn to western Texas. The majority of the MO force was wiped out in southern IT though as the Union caught up with them there. Meanwhile, with Little Rock taken, Ft. Smith couldn’t supply itself; I think I had given up Fayetteville also). The Ft. Smith division took the boats to Memphis to avoid starvation. Mortar in 1864 has also taken over Madison and much of the cost of AR with the Mississippi. In 1864 I sent General Gordon to form the forces in Texas into a strong division. Mortar attacked the Gordon division in Dallas once, lost, and has since been moving east and currently landed in Port Hudson this last turn. Meanwhile, the towns that aren’t garrisoned I’ve sent out cavalry units to retake control. My rule is, if you don’t garrison a CSA town the Union should be prepared to lose it. A cavalry and some Indian units even took back Jefferson City. I believe that the Union Mississippi fleet got stock 1 winter and starved. I haven’t seen a Union Mississippi fleet in a while, but I think there must be 1 behind the scenes somewhere.

3. The current situation

Missouri

You will notice that there are two forces in MO. I’ve highlighted the larger one, the Van Dorn force in control of Jefferson City. This is a force of 3 Indian units and 1 cavalry unit, 1,500 cavalry. There is also a partisan to the north that can cut RR lines. I had hoped that a little chaos in MO would force the Union to redirect troops. However, so far, that hasn’t been the case.

[ATTACH]16049[/ATTACH]

Kansas

You will notice that the Union Indian villages were burnt a long time ago. No CSA forces here.

[ATTACH]16050[/ATTACH]

Indian Territory

The CSA control the 3 Indian villages. There is a single cavalry unit at Ft. Gibson and no Union forces.

[ATTACH]16051[/ATTACH]

Arkansas

Fayetteville is held by the Union with 2 brigades, a militia unit, and a battery.

Ft. Smith is held by the Union by Fremont with a militia unit and a battery. They are currently red when it comes to supply.

Little Rock is held by the Union with Sumner’s 34th division.

Madison is held by the Union by Sherman and 2 divisions (800 power). That is in a position to threaten Memphis.

The CSA just took back Helena this turn with a sole cavalry unit.

The Union also has a brigade each along eastern Arkansas bordering the Mississippi river.

[ATTACH]16052[/ATTACH]

Texas

General John Gordon (who is a great general) holds Texas with a division in Dallas. This division was attacked once and was victorious. You will also notice the Union division led by Halleck in New Mexico.

[ATTACH]16053[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Current Texas.JPG
Current AR.JPG
IT Current.JPG
Kansas Current.JPG
MO Current.JPG

charlesonmission

Trans-Mississippi Part 2

Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:03 pm

Texas part 2

From the second picture, I control all of southern Texas; it currently isn’t threatened at this time unless Halleck wants to make a move.

[ATTACH]16054[/ATTACH]

Louisiana (west of the Mississippi)

Shreveport is under Union control from Lyon’s army moving through after the failed attack against Gordon (Lyon is now in Port Hudson). I have a sole militia unit in Henderson Texas ready to take back Shreveport once the unit is activated.

[ATTACH]16055[/ATTACH]

Losing Missouri and Arkansas is obviously disappointing. On the other hand, these areas aren’t the heartland of the CSA and I’ve been able to continue the war effort with the 2 states. There is no easy plan to conquer either states, or even one. You will see later on that I’m barely hanging on in Virginia. I will hit the Union by creating havoc and taking any non-garrisoned towns back.

Total forces for this department of Trans-Mississippi are 8,688 men / 4,032 horses / 40 cannon. What that means is about half the force of infantry and cannon and the other half are cavalry. In other words, there are a total of 8,688 men in the theatre, of which the cavalry and artillery men come.
Attachments
Current Louisana.JPG
Current Texas southern.JPG

charlesonmission

Will return in November

Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:36 am

And, I'm going to be on holiday until November; I'll pick up this AAR then.

Charles

Caffran
Conscript

Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:56 pm

Hurry back!

This is excellent so far. I knew most of the information already, but it's the little things i didn't know which make this so enjoyable.

If another experienced player could weigh in with their opinion as well,it would be great.

I might actually win a game now!! :bonk:

charlesonmission

KY, TN, MS, and LA (east of the Mississippi) – part 1

Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:16 pm

KY, TN, MS, and LA (east of the Mississippi) – part 1

I don’t really know the exact department name for this during the ACW. For my sake, I’m just listing it buy the states to avoid confusion. In the historical war, the Union made large headway here with Grant and the famous TN and Vicksburg campaigns, and the naval victory to take New Orleans. The CSA was never able to seriously control the Mississippi and Cumberland River which led to serious trouble in a little time. I went into this game with the intent to control the Mississippi River with a strong fleet and artillery to make enemy movements cost. My initial idea was also to put a fort in Paducah Kentucky which is a strategic location. The history of the actual war showed that the CSA was totally unprepared to counter the Union naval supremacy through a fleet or artillery, I was determined not to make the same mistake.

The best way to describe this department has been a slow Union advance. I held Island 10, Paducah, and Ft. Henry with forts, 1 by 1 the Union was able to take the forts in this order. Island 10 fell with an assault in 1862, and Ft Paducah and Ft. Henry by starving me out in 1863. I was able to evacuate the Ft Paducah and Ft. Henry division sized garrisons via my Mississippi fleet. Considering the above, the forts really held up the Union advance; it is interesting to see that players are reluctant to bring in the forces necessary to assault a level 2 fort held by a division. Essentially, the risk always seems to great to do take the plunge and assault a well entrenched level 2 fort with a division or more. There are 2 more interesting pieces of action that have happened here. The Union took a lightly held Corinth in 1864 a turn after they establish a beachhead in Austin Mississippi. Unfortunately for me, I had just moved Cleburne’s division from Corinth to try to clear out some pesky Union brigades on the western side the Mississippi river. Secondly, Lyon’s Missouri force that went through Texas has just taken an undefended Port Hudson. Finally, the Union made one large attempt to break through Humboldt, the CSA held, just barely. I haven't seen the Union Missisippi fleet in a long time. I speculate he is building a huge force in the rear.

3. The current situation

Louisiana east of the Mississippi River

William Pender’s division of 6,760/64/44 hold the ever important New Orleans. The CSA should always be aware that losing New Orleans is a massive hit in morale, income, and supply produced. In the second picture you will notice that Lyon’s force of 2 divisions is in Port Hudson. That won’t be enough to take New Orleans, but Lyon can take Baton Rouge which has the Louisiana conscript and a level 3 city without me being able to stop them. What else could Lyon do? Attempt a coordinated attack against Vicksburg or go for what is currently a lightly held Jackson MS. Finally, there are 2 river transports near New Orleans, these are dropping off a militia unit and a supply unit to Pender.

[ATTACH]16242[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16243[/ATTACH]

There is also a small fleet based in New Orleans of 816/32. Unfortunately, the CSA only has 2 admirals so this fleet is leaderless. However, I can use the fleet to block Lyon from moving across the river, for instance.

[ATTACH]16244[/ATTACH]

I now want to show some of the defensive measure in New Orleans; specifically the use of coastal artillery and fort artillery.

Coastal artillery ONLY fires at ships. You will notice the rather high off/def values of 26. This is enough to easily sink transport and gunboat ships. Ironclads can take a lot of hits though, so a fleet of Ironclads can go past a coastal artillery unit and survive without losing any ships. I have coastal artillery here (from one of the keys) to stop any weak naval incursions coming south/north and to stop river transport which would be blown out of the water.

[ATTACH]16245[/ATTACH]

Fort batteries don’t have to be in a fort! The best way of viewing fort batteries outside a fort is that they are cannon in a redoubt along a line of trenches. They provide very good defensive power of 26 (a 12 lb provides 20), but they also have protection of 2, longer range. I also have a fort artillery unit in Pender’s division. They are a great addition to a static defensive position such as New Orleans.

[ATTACH]16246[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LA 5.JPG
LA 4.JPG
LA 3.JPG
LA 2.JPG
LA.JPG

charlesonmission

KY, TN, MS, and LA (east of the Mississippi) – part 2

Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:56 pm

KY, TN, MS, and LA (east of the Mississippi) – part 2

3. The current situation

Mississippi

Benjamin Cheatham’s division 8725 / 1739 / 32 with separate coastal artillery units 38 cannon inside the city hold the ever important Vicksburg. Vicksburg is an objective city.

[ATTACH]16248[/ATTACH]

Stand Watie’s division 7699 / 88 / 32 along with Kershaw and hit yet unformed division of 5,894 / 324 / 8 hold Pitt Mississippi. This is the rail line that heads south to Jackson and Vicksburg or NE to Corinth. It is a rather strategic location to hold as I can move 1 division to reinforce Jackson if needed, or strike out. McPherson’ Corp has 2 divisions in Corinth and represents the deepest advance into CSA territory. The loss of Corinth puts Memphis and west Tennessee in a bit of a precarious situation, but more on this later.

[ATTACH]16249[/ATTACH]

Curtis Corps is Austin Mississippi, note the harbour there. This corp of 1 division is directly south of Memphis. It look like the Union is trying to set up a supply line Austin to Corinth. There isn't a direct railroad link to the east to corinth from Austin though.

[ATTACH]16251[/ATTACH]

Franklin Buchannan’s Mississippi Fleet 2987 / 372 is in the middle TN river (between Vicksburg and Memphis). As I alluded to earlier, there was a naval battle in the Mississippi, I won it and the Union fleet fled. However, the Union fleet wasn’t that big and I’m guessing it’s refitting and adding more ships to the line.

[ATTACH]16250[/ATTACH]
Attachments
MS 4.JPG
MS 3.JPG
MS 2.JPG
MS 1.JPG

charlesonmission

KY, TN, MS, and LA (east of the Mississippi) – part 3

Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:18 am

KY, TN, MS, and LA (east of the Mississippi) – part 3

3. The current situation

Kentucky and Tennessee

The situation is Tennessee is rather interesting. We will now look at the first of the 2 main fronts, the other being Virginia. As in actual history, most of our major action has happened in Tennessee out west and Virginia in the east. First, let’s take a look at the general overview of the situation in Tennessee. By pressing the battle key in the bottom left or the number 1, the game will show you who controls a region by colour. Union is blue and CSA is grey. The CSA controls the state except for Island 10 with Pope’s Corps of 1 division, Ft. Henry with Grant’s Army of 2 divisions, an un-garrisoned Scott NW of Knoxville, and Knoxville with Sheridan’s command of 2 divisions (most likely 1 cavalry division and 1 normal division).

[ATTACH]16254[/ATTACH]

Let’s now look at the CSA dispositions and possibilities. I will also explain the supply situation as it becomes important to keep the armies stocked. If you’ve read ACW books, you can really get the impression of how important supply is to keep the army going. William Trotter’s NC series really delves into this. Clothing wears outs, ammo, medical supplies, food, they are all needed to fight and fight well. I had done some industrialization in Tennessee earlier in the game which bore some fruit. First, let’s look at Memphis. Notice the star next the city, which tells us that it is an objective city (not that it is the capital). Memphis provides supply of 56 per turn. That’s a decent amount, but you can see it isn’t enough as Memphis only has 215/802 supply stock, meaning the city isn’t fully stocked. Basically, the city is forwarding on supply to the division to the north and north east. Memphis is held by Ramseur’s Division of 8724 / 543 / 52. A couple notes here, in a situation where a division has additional units outside, but the division is in command, I count the outside units as part of the division for counting purposes. Secondly, be careful with cannon numbers if you have coastal artillery. Since I do here, 20 cannons only fire on ships, leaving 32 for land battles, but 52 for naval bombardments. But back to Ramseur’s Division, is it a good division? Ideally, a normal division has 4 cannon units, 1 cavalry unit, with the rest infantry (this is the general opinion on the forum). Of the infantry, 1 is a sharpshooter and it nice to have another unit with a special ability (high morale), or marine or partisans depending on what your intent is. Note that I have 2 more generals with Ramseur to increase command; I try to avoid command penalties. You can also see on the bottom right that this division is fully stocked and has level 8 trenches. Level 8 is the highest trench level there is. Combined with the fort artillery element, this is a serious defensive position. How many Union troops would it take to win a battle here? Well Memphis is a clear field (see the top). A good general that could get all his men in the battle like Sherman or Grant could take Memphis with 30K to 35K provided there was good artillery support. The Union hasn’t tried this yet. Now, look at the 2nd Memphis picture. Note the note that says I use supply of 46 per turn, but I’m making 56 per turn. This tells me 2 points: Memphis can’t be starved out and right now I send out a surplus of 10 supply.

[ATTACH]16255[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16256[/ATTACH]

We will now go north to the far left flank of the Tennessee line which stretches across 8 regions to the east; not all are MTSG though. The far left is held by the men of the division of the very able Franklin Gardner. General Gardner is a 5 on defence. The division has 9009 / 1250 / 36. Unfortunately there are only 24 field pieces which is about 16 short of minimum for a division. Gardner’s division is in Dyer with a depot. You will notice the depot is rather empty at only 9/386. This is an area for concern as it clearly shows there is just enough supply to maintain the army in TN. Gardner’s division, along with the divisions in Memphis, Vicksburg, and New Orleans all have coastal artillery. There are 86 coastal artillery cannons set to bombard along the Mississippi. Furthermore there are 116 field pieces set to bombard along the Mississippi. As I mentioned earlier about my desire to control the Mississippi, this number of cannon does two things. First, it ends any idea of long term transport of troops using the river button (if you just use the river button it is like sending troops in commercial ships downriver, they will be blown out of the water if they are bombarded). Second, any river fleet movement will take some hits. Fleets can’t stay out forever, and giving them some good shots in the hull is a good motivation to go to port! Gardner has a division with Pope to the north. I plan to hold this position. Since Gardner is a sole division, he isn’t part of any MTSG. This could tempt the Union to try to break through this position. And that is the question, what will the Union do?

[ATTACH]16257[/ATTACH]
Attachments
TN4.JPG
TN3.JPG
TN2.JPG
TN1.JPG

charlesonmission

KY, TN, MS, and LA (east of the Mississippi) – part 4

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:16 pm

KY, TN, MS, and LA (east of the Mississippi) – part 4

3. The current situation

Kentucky and Tennessee

AP Hill’s Corps 8220 / 1582 /64 hold the next part of the line in Humboldt. The Corps has 2 divisions, but unfortunately they are both under strength. You might remember that the Union hit Humboldt hard a few turns ago. Many of the units were destroyed and I’ve yet to get new reinforcements. The Union has General Buell with 3 divisions just north in Columbus.

[ATTACH]16258[/ATTACH]

John Magruder’s Corps 14672 / 2342 /53 in Henry has 2 strong divisions with Breckenridge and the exceptional Cleburne. This position is also located in woods, which means it is a very strong defensive position. To the north in Graves Kentucky the Union has a sole brigade. Although it is tempting to attack, the force is led by a 2 star general which means it is a corps and MTSG could happen. Cleburne is one of the best generals in the game. Take a look at his stats below.

[ATTACH]16259[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16262[/ATTACH]

Theophilus Homes’ Corps 9491 / 1038 /32 in Humphrey has a division with General and additional units. This is also a wooded position. However, the low cannon numbers leaves the position vulnerable. General Grant is in Ft Henry with 2 divisions. He’s been there for a while, I think since 1863, which is interesting. Grant is very dangerous.

[ATTACH]16260[/ATTACH]

General Heth’s brigade sized division 2505 / 656 / 12 hold the objective of Nashville. I forgot to mention earlier that a very interesting attack on Nashville happened in 1863. General Pemberton held Nashville inside the fort I built there with a division. Thomas, I believe, besieged Nashville with 3 divisions for a long time, put numerous holds through the walls. Finally, he attacked in what appeared to be a moving attack. The attack wiped out nearly everyone in the fort but instead Thomas’s force went north to Gallatin and which I held and snuck through my lines to Bowling Greene where Thomas still sits with 3 divisions. I was a bit surprised he didn’t try a coordinated attack on Nashville by breaking through my lines to reinforce the Thomas force with a naval fleet. You will also know there is 1 ironclad, which I’m not sure does much, but it was built there and I’m not sending it to the Mississippi River now.

[ATTACH]16261[/ATTACH]
Attachments
TN9.JPG
TN 8.JPG
TN 7.JPG
TN6.JPG
TN5.JPG

charlesonmission

KY, TN, MS, and LA (east of the Mississippi) – part 5

Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:48 pm

3. The current situation

Kentucky and Tennessee

A.S. Johnston is the current commanding General of the Army of Tennessee in Montgomery. You are probably wondering why is he in charge. I wondered the same thing a couple turn ago and finally got a plan in place to put P.G.T in control next turn while Joe Johnston will make the trek from Virginia. The truth is. A.S. Johnston isn’t a very good general in the game, 4-2-1- isn’t very good. Since he got killed so early in the actual war, it isn’t really clear how what his true colours would have been. This army force has 11473 / 2622 / 39 with Loring’s division and 2 brigades. You will notice that there is Ewell’s empty corps also there. This is because I’m going to transfer command of Loring’s division and the brigades to Ewell and send Johnston somewhere else (Mobile or Charlestown).

[ATTACH]16263[/ATTACH]

General Beauregard commands the Army of the Potomac in Gallatin (yes it’s the old army HQ from Virginia) 14817 / 5801 / 56 with Stewart’s division and Morgan’s cavalry division. This is a very formidable force. Beauregard is also quite a good general on defence. Historically in the war, he was a very able commander, so I would expect him to be the same here. Note that this force won’t MTSG to the Army of Tennessee, they are separate command chains. Shenk’s corps is in Barren KY with a division.

[ATTACH]16264[/ATTACH]

Generals Polk’s corps 10461 / 524 / 26 in Macon with Wharton’s division and some loose units. Note that I’m not at fully supply which can only mean 1 thing in this situation, supply problems!

[ATTACH]16265[/ATTACH]

General Walker has a division 7410 / 1040 / 16 in Livingston. It’s a rather weak division and I’m not sure if I should move it or not. Winter is coming, so I don’t think the Union would attack there as it is in the mountains and that usually means snow at a minimum. Also you can see a militia unit is on the way to Scott TN to take back the town.

[ATTACH]16266[/ATTACH]
Attachments
TN 13.JPG
TN 12.JPG
TN 11.JPG
TN10.JPG

charlesonmission

KY, TN, MS, and LA (east of the Mississippi) – part 6

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:09 pm

KY, TN, MS, and LA (east of the Mississippi) – part 6

3. The current situation

Kentucky and Tennessee

As you can see I lost Knoxville. Knoxville is a rather strategic location; I gave the Union a chance to take it by leaving it undefended. It is always an issue, limited resources and what to do with them! I countered the threat by putting a division in Chattanooga, and then moving up to Decatur. I was just about to attack when the Union reinforced with a second division. 2 divisions will be tough to crack. Wade Hampton’s division 8078/ 1472 / 24 is in Decatur and Forest’s cavalry division 8199 / 6978 / 24 wit a couple loose elements is in Chattanooga. You can also see I have a small force in Giles which protects the supply line to Nashville and beyond. Regarding Kentucky, I’ve lost it all except for Prestonsburg which Mortar doesn’t seem that concerned with. There are no troops there.

[ATTACH]16267[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16268[/ATTACH]

Forces (I don’t count separate locked units) for this department are as follows

LA – 6,760 / 64 / 44

MS – 16,424 / 1,827 / 64

TN – 114,944 / 25,922 / 430

Yes, TN has quite a large force. It is tempting to attempt a massive invasion of the north. I guess something to think about……

The total general suppy created west of Knowville is 246. However, my forces in TN use 556. That is a massive difference. Losing the supply line through Chatanooge could be devestating with regards to the ability to field the TN army.
Attachments
TN 15.JPG
TN 14.JPG

charlesonmission

Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina

Wed Nov 02, 2011 2:32 pm

Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina

These states make up had battles and lots of action in the war. The Union took over Port Royal in SC early on was doing little bits here and there in Florida throughout the war (although they never managed to get anywhere near Tallahassee), Georgia and the Sherman campaign is famous, and Alabama started to fall in late 64. The CSA with Beauregard put up an amazing defence in Charlestown, and the CSA did quite well in Florida. But losing Georgia really meant it would be game over I’d say.

Really not much. I took out Ft Pickens, Ft Jefferson, and Ft Taylor in Florida. Now the entire state is mine. So far, there has been no amphibious invasion. In fact, I’ve never played a PBEM where the Union did one in any of these states, which is interesting. I guess most view other theatres as much more important. I used the fort and coastal artillery from the forts to reinforce the positions on the Mississipp you saw earlier.

3. The current situation

There is really nothing too much to show. I have a tine force in Atlanta and couple other units moving around. Basically the area is open to an invasion by the sea. Once the new volunteer option is available, I’ll make a new division for this department.

[ATTACH]16269[/ATTACH]
Attachments
GA2.JPG

charlesonmission

Virginia and North Carolina - Part 1

Thu Nov 03, 2011 5:05 pm

Virginia and North Carolina - Part 1

The Virginian battles and campaigns are so well known; I’m not really sure what to say here. I will say this; Lee was a vey aggressive commander. Haven’t even contemplated anything like a Gettysburg or Antietam. I always dream of going on the offensive into Maryland and Pennsylvania, and it just remains that. Of course, the turn method of AACW makes it even riskier to move, as you can’t change your mind 2 days into a march!

Basically, a slow march to Richmond from by the Union. Unfortunately, I can’t remember how I gave up the Shenandoah Valley, but I did without a fight I believe. One of the more interesting aspects of this theatre was a invested heavily into a Virginia Fleet. It actually was able to blockade Ft. Monroe, win a navel battle, and then stave out the garrison so that Ft. Monroe is still in CSA hands. Unfortunately, a later naval battle gave me a -6NM hit despite the near odds. Now, Richmond is blockaded and my fleet is in the Richmond port. When I said the Union was on a slow march toward Richmond, I didn’t mean to say they haven’t been aggressive. Mortar did some incursions into NC where I had to blow the depots there so the division wouldn’t be able to resupply. The Union also sent a cavalry force to Norfolk, but the CSA were dug inside the Norfolk fort so the Union declined to attack and were later evacuated via the sea. Finally, perhaps the best chance at the Union taking Richmond was a large division or two sized force that attacked Richmond which had a small division; Richmond held. Eventually, I decided to contract the lines, and I now have a line of 5 corps/armies MTSG from Fredericksburg to Petersburg. The Union has basically been doing the 1864 overland campaign with near constant attacks. The difference is, the Union has attacked Richmond 5 or 6 times instead of Petersburg. I’ve been taking huge casualties, but Richmond has held.

3. The current situation

First, let’s take a look at the general situation in Virginia. Mostly a sea of Blue! However, the CSA holds the strategic north south line from Fredericksburg to Petersburg. The Union forces are everywhere heading south from DC to the border region of Richmond. The Union has also built 2 depots in Virginia. You will also notice that the railroad has been destroyed three places in WV by me and the Union has destroyed much of the RR west of Petersburg.

[ATTACH]16278[/ATTACH]

Now, let’s start at the northernmost significant CSA position in Fredericksburg and we’ll head south. General Richard Anderson’s Corps 7799 / 1231 / 63 with Edward Alexander’s Division hold Fredericksburg in level 8 entrenchments. Fredericksburg produces 67 supply a turn which is enough to support this force and a little more. I don’t think Fredericksburg will be the main focus of an attack as it is 2 regions away from Richmond, and Petersburg in the more vulnerable and strategic other “end” of the line. Anderson’s stats of 5 / 4 / 5 are great. The Union has Keyes’ Corps of 1 division in Stafford and I small force with 3 generals (or just the 3 generals) in Culpepper. The real threat to Fredericksburg comes from the west with Mead’s Corps of 3 divisions in Albemarle.

[ATTACH]16279[/ATTACH]

The next line to the south is General Longstreet’s Corps 11093 / 3103 / 116 with Hill’s and Early’s divisions. This position is in Louisa with level 8 entrenchments. Longstreet’s stats 6 / 4 / 6 with the entrencher bonus means he is a formidable opponent even with only 11,000 men. This position has been attacked and held through MTSG. The Union has General Rosecrans just south in Buckingham with power of 4158 and the corps of Smith’s Corps of 418. That roughly translates into about 60,000 men. Longstreet by himself is vastly outnumbered. However, here is where MTSG comes into play, Longstreet can be reinforced by Anderson to the north and 2 corps stations in Richmond to the south east. Furthermore, as my line is along a continuous railroad, I can move troops around very efficiently. There is also a small river between Longstreet and Rosecrans which provide a small combat bonus. If you are new to the game, MTSG stands for Marching to the Sounds of Guns. It allows your army and corps to cooperate during the turn by moving on their own to where the attacks are happening. This is mostly realistic as the confederates had a similar line from Petersburg to Richmond at this time in the actual war. Now, it doesn’t mean there is a continuous line of solders along every meter. It means that I control each region and can ask for help when an attack appears likely. My supporting corps will hop on a train and head to the site of the battle. And don’t worry; the game does this for you during the turn processing!

[ATTACH]16280[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16281[/ATTACH]
Attachments
VA4.JPG
VA3.JPG
VA2.JPG
VA1.JPG

charlesonmission

Virginia and North Carolina – Part 2

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:10 pm

Virginia and North Carolina – Part 2

3. The current situation

It’s now time to look at Richmond, the capital of the Confederate States of America. Richmond has 2 corps, the first and most important of which is led by the exception Stonewall Jackson. Stonewall Jackson’s exploits are well known; in this game he currently has a rating of 6 / 5 / 6 with the fast mover, strong moral, and surpriser traits. The corps 18714 / 2716 / 151, with the 3 divisions of Mahone, Hoke, and Winder, is the strongest force I field (currently power of 1,794). There are level 8 entrenchments here. Richmond produces supply of 64 per turn. I want to take a moment to explain the difference between being in a structure and outside a structure as it has enormous differences in the way battles occur. You see that Jackson’s Corps is outside the structure, this means that the force isn’t in Fort Richmond and won’t receive any benefits from the fort. However, any Union attack in the Richmond region will be forced to attack Jackson. In other words, there is no opportunity for the Union to do a siege. Sieges are hard to win, in fact they have all been lost this game on both sides except the Nashville experience mentioned earlier. This was also a similar experience in the war. Once a force is surrounded, it will be tough to get out. Now, the so called siege of Petersburg that happened in the actual war in 1864 and 1865 isn’t technically a siege using these game mechanics. It would better be represented as both sides outside the structure digging inn to level 8 entrenchments with the Union doing a probe attack every turn. I’m not sure there is a way to do that in the game, usually when a side loses a battle, the forces retreat. Therefore, for game purposes, if you want to do a Petersburg type campaign, attack every single turn by probing with ever increasing numbers, which this is what Mortar is more or less doing to Richmond.

[ATTACH]16282[/ATTACH]

The second corps in Richmond is Edward Johnson’s Corps 6929 / 1626 / 64 with S.D. Lee’s division. This 2nd corps only recent arrived as I shortened the line to Petersburg. Basically, I became nervous that 1 corps wouldn’t hold off what appeared to be ever increasing Union attacks. With this 2nd corps, there are now 25,000 manning the trenches in Richmond. Even without MTSG, I think that this force could hold off 75,000 Union, and considering the Union is at about 60,000 now just west, I feel confident the capital is safe for the moment. You can also see the large fleet that is blockading Richmond. The last time I attacked the fleet with my fleet I got hit with -6NM. My Richmond fleet commanded by Admiral Semmes 2957 / 482 or power 1787 is quite a large fleet. It’s important to note here that the reason I don’t have more artillery in TN is because I spent the WS here on this fleet! So far, I’ve been disappointed with its performance other than the Ft. Monroe experience.

[ATTACH]16283[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16284[/ATTACH]

The ever great Robert E Lee, commanding general of the Army of Northern Virginia, is just south of Richmond in Henrico with 9840 / 1420 / 102 with Stevenon’s division. What to say? It’s a small force, but again has the benefit of MTSG from Richmond and a small force to the south. The force protects the line to Petersburg and now forces the union to go all the way south of Petersburg if they want to get around it, which isn’t that easy to do now that it is winter. All of the CSA forces here are in desperate needs of supplies and the supply system is barely able to meet the needs. I’ve contemplated rebuilding a depot in northern NC to push supply forward. I know there is excess supply in the south as Wilmington has a nearly fully stack of supply waiting for the AoNV.

[ATTACH]16285[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16286[/ATTACH]
Attachments
VA9.JPG
VA8.JPG
VA7.JPG
VA6.JPG
VA5.JPG

charlesonmission

Virginia and North Carolina – Part 3

Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:36 pm

Virginia and North Carolina – Part 3

3. The current situation

Edmund K Smith’s Corps 4952 / 1086 / 16 with McLaw’s division holds the southern end of the line of Petersburg with this tiny force. Yes, this force is so small it makes me nervous. However, With it being winter, and there isn’t a RR to bring a large force to near Petersburg or already a large force positioned, I feel rather confident it can hold before going back up to full strength. The Petersburg depot was blown a while back by the Union when an aggrieve division sized plus cavalry operation captured the city. This combined with me having to blow the depots in NC to starve out a Union expedition there has effectively meant that my north south RR supply route isn’t working, even though I control all the regions and the RRs are fixed. I’ve been aware of this, so I’ve been industrializing in Virginia and wondering about building a depot in northern NC, although I’m not sure I have the forces to defend; otherwise the Union will capture and destroy it again. Just to the right Smith’s Corps is a Militia Unit and Raider unit building some fortifications along the James River.

[ATTACH]16287[/ATTACH]

The final 2 forces in Virginia are Norfolk and Ft. Monroe. General McCowan’s command of 2780 / 528 / 21 commands the forces inside Ft. Norfolk with the coastal artillery. General Pemberton has a sole militia unit outside the outside the fort. Norfolk produces 78 a turn in supply, a decent amount. General Picket commands a sole militia unit in the defences of Ft. Monroe. I really would like a division here as well as in Norfolk, but as I’ve been pushed all the way to the gates of Richmond, Richmond has taken a higher priority. Surprisingly, the Union hasn’t tried a sea invasion to take Ft. Monroe back. Perhaps something to come in the future…..

[ATTACH]16288[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16289[/ATTACH]

Supply situation – You can tell I’m concerned about this because I keep writing about it! My forces in VA use 410 wagons per turn, but my accessible production is only 261; I can’t actually get the supply being produces in Drummond and Christiansburg.

[ATTACH]16290[/ATTACH]

Forces in the department

Virginina 62,789 / 12,205 / 533

Although you might be surprised that Virginia has a much smaller army than TN, this is because this army needs lots of replacements to come back to full strength. At full strength, I think the size will be closer to 90,000.
Attachments
VA13.JPG
VA12.JPG
VA11.JPG
VA10.JPG

charlesonmission

Virginia and North Carolina – Part 4

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:22 pm

Virginia and North Carolina – Part 4

3. The current situation

On to North Carolina! I control the state, but I said earlier, I destroyed the Raleigh and Garysburg depots due to a Union invasion of the state. You will see that I have a fleet based in Wilmington. My great idea was to build a fleet and send it to the shipping lane to sink the union ships in a battle. However, actually there are no “battles” in the shipping lane in the traditional game sense. We each gave each other some hits, and then I went back to Wilmington. It was clearly disappointing. I’m not really sure what to do with these ships now, perhaps have them link up with the Virginia fleet if that is ever out of Richmond again.

[ATTACH]16292[/ATTACH]

Here is West Virginia. I control 2 towns as the Union left them un-garrisoned, I sent a couple cavalry units up there to create havoc. They also destroyed 3 regions of RR. This limits the Union’s east west transfer, but I’m not sure how much the Union is using this anyways. However, I try to have the general principal of taking back un-garrisoned towns. If the Union wants the town, I want them to spend resources holding the town! That is my motto!

[ATTACH]16293[/ATTACH]
Attachments
NC2.JPG
NC1.JPG

charlesonmission

Blockade Running

Thu Nov 03, 2011 7:33 pm

Blockade Running

Blockade running played a major role in bring in war and general supplies for the CSA. As the CSA player in this game, we have a distinct advantage to know to build blockade runner early on, while in history the CSA waited a year before ramping up this programme.

The Union has focussed most of the ant-blockade running fleet in the Atlantic, and sunk about have my brigs there. I haven’t seen the Union much in the Gulf of Mexico, and currently there is no port in the Gulf for ships to resupply, so it would be very practical for a Union fleet to hang out down there.

3. The current situation

Here are the brigs I have in the Atlantic. I few are coming back, so there are about 10 brig elements. The CSA received 9 money and 3 WS this last turn.

[ATTACH]16294[/ATTACH]

And in the Gulf, a few more, about 13 brig elements. The CSA received 14 money and 5 WS this last turn. These are some big numbers that keep the CSA afloat.

[ATTACH]16295[/ATTACH]
Attachments
Brig2.JPG
Brig1.JPG

charlesonmission

Late November Part 1

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:01 am

Late November Part 1

We are finally ready to continue with game! The big event from the previous turn was the Lincoln was re-elected. Does anyone know if Lincoln is always re-elected?

[ATTACH]16298[/ATTACH]

Starting in the fat west, my orders for Missouri are to have my partisan unit tear up the tracks, head through Bloomington before going to Jefferson City. One Indian unit will leave Jefferson City to go to Vienna to tear up the tracks next turn. The Union hasn’t made a big push to get rid of my small force in Missouri.

[ATTACH]16297[/ATTACH]

In Texas, I’m splitting the Gordon division into 2 divisions, with Armstrong now commanding a brigade sized division in Dallas and Gordon going with the majority of the division to Shreveport. I want to be closer to what Lyon’s force in Louisiana is up to. I thought about sending Gordon to try to take back Ft. Smith in Arkansas but with winter fast approaching, I was worried of getting stuck and starving. Finally, the cavalry unit in the IT will head south to join Armstrong.

[ATTACH]16299[/ATTACH]

In Louisiana, the small New Orleans fleet is going to the Baton Rouge shore to stop any river movement south from Lyon’s force. I really should have done this one turn earlier. Now, Lyon can take Baton Rouge, which is a level 3 city with a conscription point, and there is nothing I can do to stop him.

[ATTACH]16300[/ATTACH]

In Mississippi, the newly formed Kershaw’s Division will take the trains to set up a new position just west of Corinth in Marshal Mississippi. Memphis is directly to the northwest. This is part of my attempt to keep the rail line open from Mississippi to Corinth. An engineer unit from Vicksburg will also travel there to help quickly dig in. The two cavalry units in Helena and Bolivar will head to Grenada to join Watie’s division.

[ATTACH]16301[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LNov5.JPG
LNov4.JPG
LNov3.JPG
LNov2.JPG
LNov1.JPG

charlesonmission

Late November Part 2

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:05 am

Late November Part 2

The Mississippi will head for the level three harbour of Vicksburg to rest and recover as the fleet is beginning to get low cohesion.

[ATTACH]16302[/ATTACH]

In Tennessee, there is a new commanding general. General Beauregard is now commanding the corps instead of A.S. Johnston. Johnston will head to Charlestown SC. I was finally able to do this as I created a new army of Joe Johnston who now commands an empty army in Richmond. Once Joe Johnston’s Army is ready to move, I’ll send him to TN to take over command from Beauregard as Joe Johnston’s stats are better than Beauregard’s 4 / 2 /4. Other than this, I’m making no moves in TN.

[ATTACH]16303[/ATTACH]

In Virginia, I’ve decided upon a few movements. A cavalry unit will try to take over Covington and a raider unit will go for Lynchburg. I’m taking part of E.K. Smith’s Corps to attack the sharpshooter unit in Burkeville; Trimble will lead the Texans in this. Finally, and the big one, I’ve decided to send the fleet out of Richmond. I’m nervous just thinking about it, but the Union fleet is low on cohesion and my fleet is in perfect order now. This will be a probing attack.

[ATTACH]16304[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16305[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LNov9.JPG
LNov8.JPG
LNov7.JPG
LNov6.JPG

charlesonmission

Late November Part 3

Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:10 am

Late November Part 3

In North Carolina, I’m sending the fleet to Norfolk in an attempt to meet up with the Virginia fleet in the near future.

[ATTACH]16306[/ATTACH]

Both Virginia and Tennessee are on high industrialization in an attempt to stay supplied.
RR – 10
Replacements – 2 line infantry. I need 20K for the new formed divisions, so the 26K should be enough if the planning went well.

[ATTACH]16307[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16308[/ATTACH]

Now, we’ll await the Union moves!
Attachments
LNov12.JPG
LNov11.JPG
LNov10.JPG

Jim-NC

Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:58 pm

AFAIK Lincoln always gets re-elected (unless the union has lost).

You need a depot in NC to forward supplies to the ANV. With winter coming, you will use more supply (wagons will trade supply for hits that your forces would have suffered due to weather) than you are now. I see starvation on the horizon.

At least the blockade % is really low. It's having almost no effect on your coastal city production.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Return to “American Civil War AARs”