deguerra
Major

Thu Dec 01, 2011 2:38 pm

Yeah 2 things I'd be interested in here (perhaps from those who understand the engine best) is

1. Does Ft. Pulaski actually prevent supply from reaching Savannah?

2. What exactly are the mobility implications for Kearny.

These are exactly the sorts of detailed things I haven't quite got my head around either. Any other readers?

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:13 pm

deguerra wrote:Yeah 2 things I'd be interested in here (perhaps from those who understand the engine best) is

1. Does Ft. Pulaski actually prevent supply from reaching Savannah?

2. What exactly are the mobility implications for Kearny.

These are exactly the sorts of detailed things I haven't quite got my head around either. Any other readers?

Answering this here and now might be gamespoiler. Any discussion thread to this aar?

Confederate
Lieutenant

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:32 pm

Charles, I have to congratulate you for making it to June 1865 and still being in the war, although he looks like Mortar is looking to launch an assault at Richmond. Good thing you have the genius defensive man Longstreet in Richmond with Lee not too far. Doesn't look like he'll be able to pass anytime soon ;)

charlesonmission

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:37 pm

I want to be fair to Mortar, and stay on the safe side. So let's wait till the game ends I suppose.

Charles

Citizen X wrote:Answering this here and now might be gamespoiler. Any discussion thread to this aar?

charlesonmission

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Actually, he's been concentrating forces away from Richmond, I would be surprised to see any more attacks on Richmond at all. General Jackson, level 6defence, level 8 trenches, and about 3 divisions is there.

We'll know a lot more after the next turn on the Union's prospects. Can the Union break through Henry TN, and will General Bee and General Hampton hit Foster and Sherman hard. Should be exciting!

Charles

Confederate wrote:Charles, I have to congratulate you for making it to June 1865 and still being in the war, although he looks like Mortar is looking to launch an assault at Richmond. Good thing you have the genius defensive man Longstreet in Richmond with Lee not too far. Doesn't look like he'll be able to pass anytime soon ;)

Confederate
Lieutenant

Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:44 pm

charlesonmission wrote:Actually, he's been concentrating forces away from Richmond, I would be surprised to see any more attacks on Richmond at all. General Jackson, level 6defence, level 8 trenches, and about 3 divisions is there.

We'll know a lot more after the next turn on the Union's prospects. Can the Union break through Henry TN, and will General Bee and General Hampton hit Foster and Sherman hard. Should be exciting!

Charles

So you are fighting a Western War? Well, that actually is GOOD to hear if you can divert the Union attention towards the west. Though the Kentucky/Tennessee/any state out west are always Confederate weak spots, if you can keep the war going and stay in a stalemate, you can take a draw ;)

WHICH MEANS INDEPENDENCE FOR THE CONFED BOYS!

Coldsteel
Sergeant

Thu Dec 01, 2011 10:03 pm

What a great thread this is!
Pour it into em boys! Give em the Cold Steel!

deguerra
Major

Fri Dec 02, 2011 1:47 am

Citizen X wrote:Answering this here and now might be gamespoiler. Any discussion thread to this aar?

Don't think there is, just keep it in mind for when this is done I guess :thumbsup:

charlesonmission

Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:42 am

The discussion rules I mentioned in one of the first posts is "to not give advice" only technicaly questions. If Citizen X thinks it could substantially influence the game, I'd like to wait to the game ends until the discussion happens.

Edit: Now I get what you mean my discussion thread. No, I didn't create one, but someone is welcome to if they want. I won't look. Otherwise, the game ends in 13 or 14 more turns. I assume a message comes up at the end of 1865 saying who won by VP if there is no NM victory. This is uncharted territory for me, never been in 1865 before.

Charles

deguerra wrote:Don't think there is, just keep it in mind for when this is done I guess :thumbsup:

charlesonmission

Early July 1865 Part 1

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:09 am

Early July 1865 Part 1

6 battles, but the CSA hangs on in Henry, just barely. Wilmington and New Orleans are attacked but held. Ft. Pulaski falls and Hampton skirmishes with Sherman. Bee didn’t catch up to Foster in MS. The Union makes more moves in TN, lots happening!

Missouri/IT

The Union didn’t like that I took back all of the Indian villages last turn. The Union takes back Creeks and Cherokees. Van Dorn and his cavalry regiment will leave Ft. Smith and go for Dallas.

Texas

The Union force in Cisco Texas (west of Houston) seems to have given up and is heading towards New Mexico. With Van Dorn going to Dallas, I believe he will take over command there, and since he is an Indian fighter, the Indian units won’t use CP. All in all, I’ve been happy with the defences in Texas. The entire state is back in CSA hands! Galveston has been a great port to run the Gulf of Mexico blockade operations.

Louisiana, Mississippi, and Alabama

Mississippi

General Bee was unable to catch Foster’s corps. Foster has ended up in Pontotoc MS with Bee just to the west in Holmes MS. However, I will now spilt Bee’s force and have Forest’s cavalry division continue to go after Foster’s corps, but on conservative attack. General Bee’s remaining division will go to Dyer TN to fill the gap left there because of the battles in Henry TN (more on this later). The Union made a small move to send the brigade from Grenada to Forest MS. I’m sending Watie’s division on the RR to attack the Union brigade, and hopefully capture it. Also, I will have my regiment in Claiborne (between Jackson and Vicksburg) repair the RR and go to Adams MS. The Union fleet has gone into the harbour there, but took another 43 hits from Vicksburg. I believe that once my regiment goes into Adams, the Union fleet will be forced to leave, take hits by Vicksburg, and then my fleet will attack as it is waiting in Joseph Run. I will also send a regiment from Jackson to Pike MS to repair the RR there next turn. Jackson built +2 WS, Grenada built +19 GS.

[ATTACH]16637[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16638[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16639[/ATTACH]

Louisiana
McPherson’s corps was moving really fast and made it all the way to New Orleans. Despite a low luck rate, the Union forces did well and we each took similar casualties, but the CSA won the battle. McPherson is now in Pearl LA. Lyon’s tired force took Baton Rouge uncontested. There will be enough supplies in Baton Rouge for Lyon’s force for a couple turns. Currently, both Union forces are on orange supply levels. Gordon will remain put in NO.

[ATTACH]16640[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16641[/ATTACH]
Attachments
EJuly5.JPG
EJuly4.JPG
EJuly3.JPG
EJuly2.JPG
EJuly1.JPG

charlesonmission

Early July 1865 Part 2

Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:36 am

Late June 1865 Part 2

Alabama

Hampton’s division found Sherman and brought them to battle. However, Sherman was able to retreat with minimal casualties despite the low power value and being nearly out of supplies (note the 5% in the battle report). Sherman then retreated north to Rockford AL. Sheridan was also in Rockford AL, but is either hiding there now, or somewhere that I can’t see. Cleburne’s division made it to Columbiana AL. This turn, Hampton will target Sherman, Cleburne will target Sherman by going through Talladega. Both are scheduled to hit Sherman in 5 days. I will also send 1 regiment from Montgomery to Elmore AL, just west of Sherman, to hold up Sherman if he tries to cross the river. Blunt’s raider command took Groves Hill; I’ll have Mouton’s force go back 1 region to Sparta to stop Blunt from going farther west.

[ATTACH]16642[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16643[/ATTACH]

Tennessee

2 battles in Henry, a draw and then a CSA victory.

[ATTACH]16644[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16645[/ATTACH]

There were massive casualties on both sides, although the Union can take them more than I can because they have more CS. What seemed to happen was an initial skirmish on day 1 as there were both CSA and Union forces in Henry, then Grant and Hill arrived on day 3 at which point the real battle commenced. Grant has some amazing stats, 6 / 7 / 5. I think the battle was very close, but the CSA held on again, just barely. Hill didn’t go back to its first position in Humboldt, instead, it stayed in Henry with Magruder. What I’m doing is this. AP Hill and Magruder will stay in Henry, Magruder will rebuild the RR. The Union could attack again, but this time, AP Hill would also have level 8 trenches, and the entire Union force would be attacking across a river (from Ft. Henry and Donelson). Now, this leaves a gap in my line, so Bee, will move north from MS and take over Gardner’s position in Dyer. Gardner will arrive to defend Humboldt in 3 days. If there is no battle next turn, then I can have Bee and Gardner switch back which would bring back the continuous MTSG. It’s also worth noting that Holmes seems to refuse to MTSG, perhaps because of the river between Holmes and Magruder. Magruder and Hill each have about 300 power left now. The Union has moved some brigades to the east of Johnston. Also, a Union division is now south of Memphis. Nashville supply is 30/1253.

[ATTACH]16646[/ATTACH]
Attachments
EJuly10.JPG
EJuly9.JPG
EJuly8.JPG
EJuly7.JPG
EJuly6.JPG

charlesonmission

Early July 1865 Part 3

Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:19 am

Early July 1865 Part 3

Georgia and South Carolina

The Union took Ft. Pulaski as I predicted. However, the artillery escaped which will now go to Charlestown SC.

[ATTACH]16647[/ATTACH]

Here is what the situation now looks like. The Union will definitely start to receive supply in Savannah. Newton’s corps stayed in Beaufort and still has red supply levels. I believe they will take supply hits 1 more time and then there will be enough supply coming through Savannah to supply the 6 Union divisions here. I believe what this means, is that it will be at least 2 more turns before the Union is ready for another serious move here.

[ATTACH]16648[/ATTACH]

Virginia and North Carolina

There was a battle on day 1 in Wilmington which the CSA won.

[ATTACH]16649[/ATTACH]

The situation in NC would lead me to believe that Kearny either goes back to VA or south to SC, perhaps Camden. There are no other depots left in NC, other than Wilmington. And with no cities that could feed 2 divisions and orange supply levels, the Union will have to make a choice this turn. My cavalry regiment in Raleigh will go to Sussex VA to repair the RR there next turn.

[ATTACH]16650[/ATTACH]

Virginia

Nothing happened and no moves.

[ATTACH]16651[/ATTACH]

Politics and Economy

Replacements – 4 line, 1 cavalry, 1 field artillery, 1 supply, 1 service asset

Industrialization - Mississippi medium.

RR – 50

CSA NM – 96 (up 6 from the previous turn)

Union NM – 98 (down 5 from the previous turn)
Attachments
EJuly15.JPG
EJuly14.JPG
EJuly13.JPG
EJuly12.JPG
EJuly11.JPG

Confederate
Lieutenant

Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:02 pm

Ha, NM-wise you might win ;)
- Confederate

charlesonmission

Fri Dec 02, 2011 5:44 pm

Well, I think my NM victory level is 175 and the Union's loss level is 30 or 40. Both those scenarios seem unlikely. What I believe happens is that whoever has the most VP will win the game at the end of 1865. At least the manual alludes to that.

Charles

Confederate wrote:Ha, NM-wise you might win ;)

Jim-NC

Fri Dec 02, 2011 6:37 pm

If no one wins before the last turn, then you will get 1 of 3 messages:

Victory
Defeat
Stalemate

Assuming no NM victory, the above will be decided by victory points. I don't know the exact formula, but unless 1 side has a significant advantage in VPs, then the most likely outcome is stalemate. That's what I got when I played the game to the end without a NM victory.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Confederate
Lieutenant

Sat Dec 03, 2011 3:01 pm

So what is the Union's VP?
- Confederate

pesec
Corporal

Sat Dec 03, 2011 8:09 pm

Stalemate is a victory for CSA :thumbsup:

charlesonmission

Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:55 am

This is after the last turn I just ran, which I will write up later. CSA is ahead by about 250, the Union gets more per turn.

The 2 corps in Henry TN held off Grant for a +1 NM victory, but have nearly been wiped out. Details coming later.

Charles

[ATTACH]16664[/ATTACH]

Confederate wrote:So what is the Union's VP?
Attachments
VP.JPG

charlesonmission

Late July 1865 Part 1

Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:39 am

Late July 1865 Part 1

There were loads of battles and lots of movement. The CSA has taken the lead in NM for the first time in many years.

Missouri/IT

The Union took back Ft. Smith and has moved all the Union forces in the IT there. This is because Ft. Smith is the only Indian village that provides enough supply for even a few regiments. As this leaves Creeks and Cherokees un-garrisoned, I’ll send a partisan through Creeks to Cherokees to take the villages for the CSA.

[ATTACH]16665[/ATTACH]

I want to take a look at Arkansas as the state is become less and less defended by the Union. Little Rock is now only defended by 2 regiments and a battery. Both Ft. Smith and Fayetteville only have a regiment there. It’s time for the CSA to consider some operations here. If I had a decent cavalry division west of the Mississippi River, I could do something fast, but I don’t. However, it’s on my mind and I will start to position forces for an upcoming Arkansas campaign.

[ATTACH]16666[/ATTACH]

Texas

You can see the Union forces in New Mexico, including the tired 9th division. I’m sending a cavalry regiment and horse artillery from Houston to Dallas to prepare for a cavalry led Arkansas campaign that may start next turn, to be led by Quantrill.

[ATTACH]16667[/ATTACH]

Louisiana

There was no movement in Louisiana. The Union forces are on orange supply levels. Gordon’s division is almost at full strength and has been reinforced with an infantry regiment and artillery battery.

[ATTACH]16668[/ATTACH]

Mississippi

Lots happened in MS. First of all, Forest caught up with Foster and won a small skirmish.

[ATTACH]16669[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LJuly5.JPG
LJuly4.JPG
LJuly3.JPG
LJuly2.JPG
LJuly1.JPG

charlesonmission

Late July 1865 Part 2

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:24 am

Late July 1865 Part 2

Mississippi (continued)

The next battle in MS was on the river. The Union fleet came out, was bombarded, and then lost a battle.

[ATTACH]16670[/ATTACH]

Two regiments bent on destroying or rebuilding RRs ran into each other, which ended in a draw.

[ATTACH]16671[/ATTACH]

Vicksburg then bombard the Union fleet again as another naval battle happened which the CSA won.

[ATTACH]16672[/ATTACH]

That ends the battles in Mississippi. There was also some more movement and a strategic decision by the Union to occupy Corinth again. Unfortunately, Corinth had just built +24 GS; there is more than enough production in Corinth to support a division. The Union force that went to Corinth was Crittenden’s corps that was previously in Austin MS. Meanwhile, a small division led by Reynolds left Bolivar and took up a position in Austin MS. Foster’s corps is still on the run from Forest. Forest will target Foster again but this time on all out attack! Watie will repair a RR a then head north targeting Foster as well. This will leave a division each in Vicksburg and Jackson, which at the moment appears to be enough. The division in Corinth could go for the depot in Pulaski TN, which would be a big loss. I might have to do something about that.

[ATTACH]16673[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16674[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LJuly10.JPG
LJuly9.JPG
LJuly8.JPG
LJuly7.JPG
LJuly6.JPG

charlesonmission

Late July 1865 Part 3

Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:59 am

Late July 1865 Part 3

Alabama

Two battles in AL. They were both CSA victories, but Sherman is really hanging on there. The second battle stopped Blunt’s raiding force. At this point, because of the moves in TN, Cleburne will go back to Chattanooga arriving on day 15. Hampton will target Sherman again. Where did that large Union cavalry force by Sheridan go? No idea! I’ll also split the division in Mobile to send two small brigades after Blunt’s force. .

[ATTACH]16675[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16676[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16677[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16678[/ATTACH]

Georgia / South Carolina

The Union is now concentrated in Savannah. Beauregard will bring back the army from Wilmington, leaving just a regiment there in to blow the depot if needed. Johnston still holds Atlanta.

[ATTACH]16679[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LJuly15.JPG
LJuly14.JPG
LJuly13.JPG
LJuly12.JPG
Ljuly11.JPG

charlesonmission

Late July 1865 Part 4

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:19 am

Late July 1865 Part 4

Tennessee

A series of battles happened in Henry and Humboldt. The first battle was Buell coming down from Columbus. This was a small force without artillery. You might remember that I had General Gardner move from Dyer to take up a position in the gap. Gardner wins easily.

[ATTACH]16680[/ATTACH]

General Grant crossed the river with nearly everything the Union had in the area and brought 50,000 men to Henry. What was left of Hill’s and Magruder’s corps met him and again held on, just barely. Casualties were about the same, but the battle was a +1 NM victory for the CSA. There are now only 10,000 men left in Henry.

[ATTACH]16681[/ATTACH]

The Union attacked Gardner again with another division, Gardner won for a +1 NM victory.

[ATTACH]16682[/ATTACH]

At this point, what is left of the 4 divisions will take the RR to Dyer to hopefully recover. The artillery is still in good shape though. What I will do is this. Gardner’s division will take the RR to Henry and join Hill’s corps. A signal unit and infantry regiment from Memphis will take the RR to Magruder’s corps. General Bee’s corps will arrive in Humboldt in 3 days to take over the defences there. Grant’s command still has power of about 1,300. The question is can Gardner hold them off in Henry, and what will Bee do in Humboldt.

[ATTACH]16683[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16684[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LJuly20.JPG
LJuly19.JPG
LJuly18.JPG
LJuly17.JPG
LJuly16.JPG

charlesonmission

Late July 1865 Part 5

Sun Dec 04, 2011 10:35 am

Late July 1865 Part 5

Tennessee (continued)

Meanwhile, in central and eastern TN, the Union gets closer to Nashville. The Union takes back Knoxville, takes Johnston city, takes Carthage, and is moving to cut the Pulaski Nashville RR line. I’m sending Morgan’s cavalry division from Joe Johnston to Pulaski to hold the depot this turn. This is a really good move by the Union. As the pressure mounted on western TN, eastern TN was left open. Cleburne will arrive in Chattanooga in 15 days from AL.

[ATTACH]16685[/ATTACH]

Virginia and North Carolina

Kearny easily wipes out the regiments in Raleigh. However, the Union force now has red supply levels and there is no depot in Raleigh. At this point, I don’t think the force will try to head back north to VA. In Virginia, the Union makes a couple moves. A division each has moved south of Petersburg into Sussex and Lunenberg. A small Union fleet arrives in Hampton Roads. My one move here will be for my cavalry regiment in Sussex to attempt to sweep through Burkeville to Roanoke VA.

[ATTACH]16686[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16687[/ATTACH]

Politics and Economy

Replacements – 1 line, 1 cavalry, 1 field artillery

Industrialization - TN heavy – as I foresee potential supply problems yet again.

RR – 2

CSA NM – 97 (up 1 from the previous turn)

Union NM – 95 (down 3 from the previous turn)
Attachments
LJuly23.JPG
LJuly22.JPG
LJuly21.JPG

charlesonmission

Early August 1865 Part 1

Sun Dec 04, 2011 3:49 pm

Early August 1865 Part 1

Big action in western TN, the CSA continues to go on the offensive in other departments.

Missouri/IT

My partisan unit took back 2 Indian villages. This turn they’ll go through Ft. Smith to Wayne IT, just NW of Fayetteville. A partisan unit has appeared just east of Fayetteville. I’m sending this unit to MO to cut the Jefferson City St. Louis RR line and hopefully distract the Union.

[ATTACH]16690[/ATTACH]

Arkansas and Texas

As I mentioned last turn, Arkansas has recently peaked my interest. I’m assembled an Arkansas campaign force led by Quantrill that is ready to go from Dallas. Quantrill’s force consist of 2,400 cavalry which includes 8 horse artillery. The cavalry is a mix of regular cavalry and Indian units. The target is Ft. Smith which has Fremont’s HQ and 1 infantry regiment. Quantrill force will arrive in 19 days, which mean if all goes well; the Union will only have 4 days to react. The wild card is what the 2 small Union brigades that are leaving Ft Smith. Which way will they go, and how long would it take them to get to Ft. Smith. Ft. Smith is south of the river, which could have some time implications if the Union’s IT brigades try to go there. Secondly, there is no depot in Ft. Smith so I don’t think the Union could supply any more troops than they already have.

[ATTACH]16691[/ATTACH]

Louisiana

McPherson attacked New Orleans again. Casualties were light on both sides. The Union is now is serious trouble as both forces are on red supply levels.

[ATTACH]16692[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16693[/ATTACH]

Mississippi

There were no battles in MS as Forest seemed unable to bring anyone to battle. However, there was lots of movement. The Union abandoned Corinth going back to Austin MS. General Blunt and General Sherman were able to commandeer some boats and go for a ride. To eastern MS and western AL. General Foster is still in MS too! Watie’s division will target Sherman’s corps. It seems Sheridan is in Sherman’s corps, so there was where the cavalry went. Unfortunately, I don’t have anyone to target Foster’s corps as Forest’s division only has enough supply for 1 more move. They will stay put in Grenada. Other regiments will move to fix RRs, re-establish military control, or target the stragglers at Blunt and Sherman. I don’t think these Union forces have too much fight left.

[ATTACH]16694[/ATTACH]
Attachments
EAug5.JPG
EAug4.JPG
EAug3.JPG
EAug2.JPG
EAug1.JPG

charlesonmission

Early August 1865 Part 2

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:13 pm

Early August 1865 Part 2

Alabama

Apart from the forces in western AL which you saw in the MS photo above, AL is now free of Union forces! Hampton’s division will go to Atlanta to join AS Johnston there.

Tennessee

A string of battles across western TN took place. The first one in Dyer saw a CSA victory, but I had 14 elements destroyed. That is a big loss. Many of these were the remnants of what was left of the battles in Henry.

[ATTACH]16695[/ATTACH]

Grant then attacked in Henry but ran into a reasonably strong force of Gardner’s division. The CSA had 2 elements destroyed, but won the victory for a +1 NM.

[ATTACH]16696[/ATTACH]

Then the Union tried the middle line and ran into Bee’s corps and Hill MTSG. This was a +1 NM victory.

[ATTACH]16697[/ATTACH]

Union forces remain in Dyer and Humboldt. Here is the breakdown: Dyer (CSA power 222, Union 209), Humboldt (CSA power 159, Union unknown), Henry (CSA power 598, Union in Graves KY with power of 950 still led by Grant). To reshuffle the forces, Hill will now take over complete control of the forces in Henry, Bee remains in Humboldt, and Magruder’s now empty corps goes to Dyer to take over there. Johnston and Ewell will switch places in central TN so that Johnston’s command will reach all the way to Dyer.

[ATTACH]16698[/ATTACH]

The Union takes Decatur and Newport. A Union force of power 110 arrives in Pulaski, but Morgan is there with his cavalry. No battle ensues. This turn, Morgan will be set to attack and Cleburne will target the Union’s Pulaski force. A brigade will go to Chattanooga from the Atlanta force and General Buckner will also be sent to take over there. I’ve now lost all of eastern TN, but I view the Chattanooga and Pulaski supply line as much more important.

[ATTACH]16699[/ATTACH]
Attachments
EAug10.JPG
EAug9.JPG
EAug8.JPG
EAug7.JPG
EAug6.JPG

charlesonmission

Early August 1865 Part 3

Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:26 pm

Early August 1865 Part 3

North Carolina and Virginia

North Carolina

Kearny goes to Hillsboro and takes the undefended town. Kearny’s forces are on orange supply. A CSA cavalry regiment appeared and will go through Raleigh to take back the town.

[ATTACH]16700[/ATTACH]

Virginia

The Union moves a its division SW of Petersburg into Sussex, which puts 2 Union division in Sussex. My small brigade with a sharpshooter element finishes in Williamsburg and will go to Norfolk this turn. My cavalry regiment stopped in Petersburg last turn, I’ll send it to Roanoke via Burkeville to cut the RR line in Roanoke next turn.

[ATTACH]16701[/ATTACH]

Politics and Economy

Replacements – 1 elite, 5 line, 1 cavalry

Industrialization - TN heavy

RR – 40

CSA NM – 98 (up 1 from the previous turn)

Union NM – 93 (down 2 from the previous turn)

I want to point out that losses are now around 650,000 between us. I believe these are combat losses and don't count desertions, sickness, etc. Both sides have taken some heavy heavy losses.

Charles

[ATTACH]16702[/ATTACH]
Attachments
EAug13.JPG
EAug12.JPG
EAug11.JPG

charlesonmission

Late August 1865 Part 1

Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:44 am

AP Hill is pushed out of Henry TN, Grant's 50,000 men take sole control of the region. Details coming later.

Charles

charlesonmission

Late August 1865 Part 1

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:26 pm

Late August 1865 Part 1

General Grant defeats AP Hill and takes sole possess of Henry TN. The Union has an eye towards Norfolk maintains a presence in North Carolina. McDowell’s forces have supply trouble in Savannah. And the Union abandons the New Orleans campaign.

Missouri/IT

A partisan unit will cut the Jefferson City –St. Louis RR and head back to Ft Smith. My other partisan unit will target a weak militia unit in Topeka IT.

[ATTACH]16707[/ATTACH]

Arkansas and Texas

Texas is still completely in the CSA’s hands as the Union makes no moves. In Arkansas is where the war gets interesting. Quantrill’s cavalry force is due to arrive in Ft. Smith in 4 days. First of all, I don’t think the Union will expect this attack. The last time I had a force like this it went to MO to occupy Jefferson City and create havoc across Missouri. Secondly, Fremont’s force doesn’t have any artillery and I have 1 battery. I believe that battery will help to soften up the regiment and army HQs there. If I can take back Ft Smith, that will open up Fayetteville to be recovered as well, and maybe even Little Rock. The other picture to look at in Arkansas shows that Union’s New Orleans campaign has given up and taken the boats north. The forces are heading towards Little Rock.

[ATTACH]16708[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16709[/ATTACH]

Louisiana

As mentioned in the previous section, the Union calls off the New Orleans campaign, for now. Gordon’s division still holds NO, but there is 1 small union brigade left. You will notice lots of line in the regions and I’ll take back the towns next turn and start to rebuild the RR. I can’t quite reach the Union brigade this turn, so we’ll wait to see where they go.

[ATTACH]16710[/ATTACH]

Mississippi

There was 1 battle in MS. Mouton’s cavalry force wins a small battle against Blunt.

[ATTACH]16711[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LAug5.JPG
LAug4.JPG
LAug3.JPG
LAug2.JPG
LAug1.JPG

charlesonmission

Late August 1865 Part 2

Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:55 pm

Late August 1865 Part 2

Mississippi (continued)

The Union has 3 forces moving in MS. Foster’s corps (Oxford MS) has nearly made it back to friendly lines, but certainly with massive hits. Sherman’s corps (south of Corinth) will be targeted by Forest’s cavalry division. And Blunt’s force (south of Meridian) will be targeted by Mouton’s 2 cavalry regiments. Watie’s division will start to go north to join Bee’s corps in TN, next turn, reinforcing the weak spot. I have other regiments fixing RR and re-establishing MC over regions. The Union still has a decent force (power 700) in Austin MS (SW of Memphis).

[ATTACH]16712[/ATTACH]

Tennessee

As I’m sure you’ve come to expect, TN is where the main action has been during the campaign of 1865. I’m going to write a separate post in this thread on the recent Union strategy, or at least what I think the strategy was/is later. Pope’s division attacked in Dyer one more time. CSA victory +1 NM and now Pope is back in Island 10.

[ATTACH]16713[/ATTACH]

Grant has been relentless and now he has finally done it. Yes, the Union wins in Henry and forces the CSA forces to retreat. It might be worth adding up how many men the Union and CSA lost in this region during this year’s campaign. If someone wants to do it, go ahead and post it. The Union had nearly double casualties, but also destroyed 1 infantry regiment.

[ATTACH]16714[/ATTACH]

The next TN battle was in Pulaski. The CSA won, but had an incredibly low luck roll of 37. The Union force then ran into Cleburne’s division in the next region for another loss. The Union force is able to retreat again, back to Pulaski.

[ATTACH]16715[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]16716[/ATTACH]
Attachments
LAug10.JPG
LAug9.JPG
LAug8.JPG
LAug7.JPG
LAug6.JPG

charlesonmission

Late August 1865 Part 3

Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:27 pm

Late August 1865 Part 3

Tennessee (continued)

The Union has moved a small force into Bradley TN next to Chattanooga. Chattanooga is lightly defended, so I’m sending a regiment from Cleburne’s division and a general from Atlanta to Chattanooga. In other moves. Morgan’s cavalry force will hold Pulaski on attack mode hoping to get the Union force there. A partisan unit will sweep through 4 towns of Decatur, Knoxville, Huntsville, and Livingston in 1 turn (14 days). I’m also sending troops from Atlanta to the Johnston, Ewell, and Polk in central TN. Each force will receive about 2 regiments and 1 artillery battery.

[ATTACH]16717[/ATTACH]

Georgia and South Carolina

Atlanta is now held by Johnston with Hampton’s division. I think 1 division in Atlanta is enough for anything the Union has nearby. The Union force is still located in Savannah, now with red supply levels. The Savannah depot also looks empty. I’m looking forward to hear from Mortar when the game is over as to why this is. South Carolina is now threatened from the north as Kearny’s division moved south to Charlotte. I’m sending Beauregard with 6,000 men to Camden. Johnson’s corps of 10,000 men will hold Charlotte and a regiment from Charlestown will go to Beaufort to take the town for the CSA. I can’t imagine the Union force moving out with red supply levels. I also don’t want to blow the depot in Camden just yet. I’m actually surprised to see Kearny supplied, he must have gotten it from the town in NC the Union took.

[ATTACH]16722[/ATTACH]

North Carolina

There were some skirmishes with a regiment in Lexington and my cavalry regiment near Raleigh. The Union has split into two forces, Kearny’s strong force in Charlotte and a couple tired regiments (which actually came from southern VA) in Carthage. I’ll have a regiment try to take back Lexington and Hillsboro. My cavalry regiment will head to Wilmington in the hopes of recovering. Wilmington isn’t threatened this turn, but if Kearney decides to move to Wilmington this turn while Beauregard goes to Camden, I’ll lose Wilmington next turn.

[ATTACH]16719[/ATTACH]

Virginia

The long awaited move on Norfolk happens. A Union corps led by General Smith with 2 division bypasses Petersburg to the north and takes Suffolk. I had a small regiment from Williamsburg arrive in Norfolk this turn, just beating the Union force entering Suffolk. Norfolk has a division plus (10,000 men) led by General Wilcox with level 8 trenches. It is an objective city. The Union might try to attack Ft. Monroe using the river button option, if that’s the case. Ft. Monroe may fall. I’m going to send my fleet to the James Estuary, if the Union fleet is still in Hampton Roads, then there could be a naval battle. There was no other Union movement. I’m sending my cavalry regiment in Roanoke through Covington, Christiansburg, and Marion (arriving in 14 days) after cutting the RR.

[ATTACH]16720[/ATTACH]

Politics and Economy

Replacements – 2 line, 1 field artillery

Industrialization - None (TN had 2 builds last turn, Memphis and Clarksville)

RR – 60
River - 20

CSA NM – 98 (same)

Union NM – 91 (down 2 from the previous turn)
Attachments
LAug12.JPG
LAug14.JPG
LAug13.JPG
LAug11.JPG

Return to “American Civil War AARs”