charlesonmission

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:19 am

Early April 62

Fort Clark has fallen, so he is only 1 away from Wilmington now.

Missouri – Price is holding Springfield

Indian territory – Waltie is recovering and resting.

Kentucky/Tennessee - I’m moving the newly created corps to Murray to get a little closer to Nashville, however, based on my previous battles, I see no way I can take it back with what the Union has there. However, I’m sending Hildman’s division from Polk to reinforce this corps. This leaves Polk very vulnerable, but he does have reinforcements coming.

[ATTACH]15479[/ATTACH]

Virginia – Lee is now in Command! Holmes (corps in Richmond). Jackson and Longstreet (corps in Charlottesville), Johnston corps heading to Wilmington to deal with the threat there.

[ATTACH]15480[/ATTACH]

Economy –

Reinforcements –
Replacements – 2 line infantry, 2 cavalry
Attachments
E April VA.JPG
E April KY TN.JPG

charlesonmission

Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:43 am

Late April 62

Fort Clark has fallen, so he is only 1 away from Wilmington now.

Indian territory – Waltie is recovering and resting.

Kentucky/Tennessee - Forney corps is still amassing south of Nashville. I really wish I could have better corps commanders, but I’ve yet to get a single promotion.

[ATTACH]15482[/ATTACH]

Virginia – Jackson is going to attack the Eagle brigade just east of Charlottesville.

[ATTACH]15481[/ATTACH]

Economy –

Reinforcements – 2 small brigades and 1 artillery
Replacements – none
Attachments
L April KY TN.JPG
L April VA.JPG

charlesonmission

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:22 am

Early May 62

Two battles – I lost the assault of Charlestown MO, now I’m going to besiege it. I won a small cavalry skirmish in MO.

Kansas – Waltie is resting in the Indian territory.

Kentucky/Tennessee - Forney’s corps is going to Hickman TN.

[ATTACH]15491[/ATTACH]

Virginia – Nothing happened.

NC – Johnston is going to besiege Ft. Morgan. Meanwhile, my NC fleet is already ready.

[ATTACH]15490[/ATTACH]

Economy –
40 RR – 15 River
Reinforcements –
Replacements – 1 line infantry, 1 cavalry
Attachments
Early May KY TN.JPG
E May NC.JPG

charlesonmission

Sun Jul 17, 2011 2:36 pm

Late May 62

Battle – I lost Petersburg

[ATTACH]15499[/ATTACH]

I want to write some general comments here. As you can see below, my opponent has played a very good game; he has a higher NM than me, and has caused more than double the casualties. The truth is my armies in VA are going to be starving soon. EK Smiths division is already under supplied, and with the fall of Petersburg, Richmond will start to go through resources. Even before this, I barely had enough supplies to maintain the AoNV. I’ve been unable to field a large army in VA, or anywhere really. I thought about attempting a massive evacuation of VA (all forces including Richmond and Norfolk), and moving the capital but I feel I owe it to OAM to defend VA at least a little bit from a historical perspective. Maybe I should have gone with full mobilization instead of partial, but I was worried about the NM. In TN and KY, Nashville was a big loss. Surprisingly Johnston is still holding on in KY, mainly because when he took the depot there a few turns back, it was massively stocked with supplies, and his army is small (only 10,000). Why am I attacking Ft. Henry? Mainly because I think I can wipe out the garrison there, if I don’t, I will undoubtedly have another big NM loss. However, I’m hoping I’ve found the weak spot of his KY TN line, and that he hasn’t notices I moved 2 divisions from Polk to the Forney corps over the last two turns. I have to sieges happening, one in Charlestown MO and one in Ft Clark (or is it Morgan). If this turn goes bad, it is undoubtedly the beginning of the end. I’m also sending out the NC fleet to clear the seas of Union ships in NC. See you on the other side.

[ATTACH]15496[/ATTACH]

Missouri – Price is holding Springfield.

[ATTACH]15498[/ATTACH]

Kansas – Sending Waltie north to see what is happening, he just took back the fort there.

Kentucky/Tennessee - Forney’s corps going blazing in to assault Ft. Henry.

[ATTACH]15497[/ATTACH]

Virginia – The Army of Northern VA blazing into the division at Spotsylvania.

[ATTACH]15500[/ATTACH]

NC – Johnston is still to besieging Ft. Morgan. The NC fleet is going out to hopefully clear the seas with a massive battle.

Economy –
10 RR
Reinforcements – 2 ironclads
Replacements – 1 line infantry, 1 light infantry
Attachments
Late May VA.JPG
Late May Petersburg.JPG
Late May MO.JPG
Late May KY TN.JPG
L May Status.JPG

charlesonmission

Sun Jul 17, 2011 3:36 pm

Early June 62

Battle – I lost them Both, Fredericksburg -1 NM, Fort Henry -5 NM. It seems that was a corps in both places and not divisions, so MTSG. I can’t find where the corps in the battle of Ft Henry went, so I’m going to attack it again and pray.

[ATTACH]15501[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15503[/ATTACH]

Kansas – Sending Waltie north to see what is happening, he just took back the fort there.

Kentucky/Tennessee - Forney’s corps going blazing in to assault Ft. Henry again!

[ATTACH]15504[/ATTACH]

Virginia – I’m EVACUATING the state. The new capital will be Atlanta.

[ATTACH]15502[/ATTACH]

NC – Johnston is still to besieging Ft. Morgan. The NC fleet is going to blockade Ft. Morgan after a successful battle.

Economy –
10 RR
Reinforcements – 1 small brigade
Replacements – None.
Attachments
Early June TN KY.JPG
Battle Henry.JPG
Early June non Battle VA.JPG
Early June VA.JPG

charlesonmission

Sun Jul 17, 2011 7:03 pm

Late June 62

[ATTACH]15512[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15513[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15514[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15515[/ATTACH]

Battle – All of the battles out west were lost. The reports below show that. The good news is the evacuation of VA has gone reasonably well so far, mind you, I say so far. He certainly knows I’m evacuating now.

Kansas – Waltie got slammed in the Indian territory and is recovering again.

Kentucky/Tennessee – This whole area is barely holding on. He’s now into northern AL. I’m falling back to Corinth and Chattanooga. I'm sending what's left of Johnston north into India, I see know way he can make it back now.

Virginia – I’m still EVACUATING the state. The new capital is Atlanta. Some of the forces have already arrived in NC.

NC – Johnston is still to besieging Ft. Morgan. The NC fleet is blockading the fort.

Economy – Industrialisation NC
Reinforcements – 8 small brigades, 3 artillery
Replacements – 10 line infantry, 3 cavalry, 2 light artillery
Maxed out bonds, taxes, printing, and recruitment, NM is barely at 90 now.
Attachments
Late June Henry.JPG
Late June Giles.JPG
Late June Louisville.JPG
Late June Lexington KY.JPG

charlesonmission

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:11 am

Early July 62

Battle – Richmond has fallen. All that was left there was the garrison I couldn’t move.

Kansas – I’m sending Waltie back to the Indian territory, it seems the Union is burning the villages there.

Kentucky/Tennessee – This whole area is barely holding on. Forney made it across the river, but was bombarded by Ft. Henry. Unfortunately, Beaugard was stopped by an ironclad and is now starving, he’ll take the long route to Corinth. I have a small force holding Chattanooga, which will be reinforced with what is left of EK Smith. I’m not sure what happened to Johnston, but I’m sending him south now hoping he can eventually make it to Chattanooga. He does have 2 supply carts.

[ATTACH]15524[/ATTACH]

Virginia – Many of the forces have made it to NC, there are still some more coming. OAM seems to be letting me go after he just missed getting me in a pincer movement 2 turns ago (his words).

NC – Johnston is still to besieging Ft. Morgan, so I’m sending him to assault now, hoping 4 to 1 will be enough to win. The NC fleet is going attack a couple pesky union ships.

[ATTACH]15525[/ATTACH]

Economy – Industrialisation NC, 20 RR, 10 River
Reinforcements – 1 small brigade, 7 artillery pieces
Replacements – 10 None (once I get in place in NC, I’ll go back to replacements).
Attachments
early July VA NC.JPG
Early July TN.JPG

charlesonmission

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:15 am

By the way, I want to say a quick thanks to those of you that are reading this. Furthermore, for those of you that are tired/bored playing the AI (i.e. always winning), PBEM is a whole new experience. For me, this has been nearly a new game, very enjoyable.

Charles

JKM
Private

Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:23 pm

very enjoyable, good to see a new AAR , and praise is due someone so new to it taking on an old hand ! ( I've been playing about as long as you, and seeing you give it a go might, on a good day, encourage me to try the same..)
any overall thoughts thus far ? it seems like just about every battle has turned out badly for you ..

charlesonmission

Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:32 am

Hi there,

Playing against OAM brings into the game several aspects that don't really come up against the AI. He uses ships to block my movements (in NC and TN), and is agressive, but it a much more calculated way that the AI just can't be. On my next post, I just got my first NM victory by taking Ft (Morgan, or was is Clark?), but all other NM battles were losses for me. Furthermore, I've had massive losses due to winter and food shortages that I've never seen before. Rather than attacking me straight on, he starves them out (General Bee, Beugardu's Army, etc). I've never been able to field a large army. It might have been a mistake building a fort in Norfolk, but maybe not, perhaps that is why he didn't attack it.

JKM wrote:very enjoyable, good to see a new AAR , and praise is due someone so new to it taking on an old hand ! ( I've been playing about as long as you, and seeing you give it a go might, on a good day, encourage me to try the same..)
any overall thoughts thus far ? it seems like just about every battle has turned out badly for you ..

charlesonmission

Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:49 am

Late July 62

Battle – Johnston has taken Ft. Morgan for a +1 NM gain. Hurrah for the CSA!

[ATTACH]15534[/ATTACH]

Kansas – Waltie is back in the Indian territory, I’m sending him to Kansas now.

Kentucky/Tennessee – This area has become a bit of a nightmare. P.G.T. was stopped from crossing to Corinth by Union ships. I’m taking huge starvation hits now. New player take note, be sure Armies and Corps have at least 1 supply cart! I’ve rerouted P.G.T. to Chattanooga, Johnston is also heading there. Mclaws is holding a small force in Chattanooga.

[ATTACH]15535[/ATTACH]

NC – Johnston will rest now before heading to Ft. Clark. I’ve set up defensive position as you can see below. I’m going with Industrialisation for NC and SC to increase output there. Many of the tracks are torn up in VA and northern, which is good for me. I’m still trying to keep at it up there to slow him down.

[ATTACH]15536[/ATTACH]

Economy – Industrialisation NC, SC, 10 RR, 5 River
Reinforcements – None
Replacements – 1 light infantry

Technical question: 1. What is a level 2 depot? I couldn’t destroy it in Norfolk.

See you on the other side.
Attachments
Late July NC.JPG
Late July KY TN.JPG
Late July Fort Morgan.JPG

charlesonmission

Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:21 am

Early August 62

Battle - An interesting Battle in Chattanooga, Mclaws barely held on. I don’t see how he can again though.

[ATTACH]15540[/ATTACH]

Kansas – Waltie got slammed, he’s heading farther north in an attempt to get to the Indian village there.

Kentucky/Tennessee – I’m sending Polk to South Tennessee, unfortunately there is no way for him to get to Chattanooga, so I’m blowing the depot there. P.G.T. got caught in a skirmish and lost, I’m still trying to send him to the Chattanooga area.

[ATTACH]15542[/ATTACH]

NC – Johnston is going to assault Ft. Clark, the rest of the corps and armies are digging in.

[ATTACH]15541[/ATTACH]

Economy – Industrialisation NC (double), SC
Reinforcements – None
Replacements – 1 field artillery
Attachments
Late July TN.JPG
Late July NC.JPG
Late July Chatanooga.JPG

charlesonmission

Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:08 am

Late August 62

Battle - Crazy times in Chattanooga (6 battles), I lost in the end, but it seems Kearney was killed. Johnston couldn’t quite pull it out in Clark, shockingly, but the Union took a beating, I’m sending Johnston back to hopefully finish the job.

[ATTACH]15552[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15553[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15555[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15554[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15556[/ATTACH]

Kansas – He’s heading farther north in an attempt to get to the Indian village there.

Tennessee – I am now positioned in a large fish hook from north western TN down through MS, AL, and GA. I was able to blow the depot in Chattanooga, which was good. A.S. Johnston forces are going to Floyd GA to take over the defence there, if he can dodge the union and make it. I’ve used all the photos for battles, so the map will come next time.

NC – Johnston is going to assault Ft. Clark, AGAIN, the rest of the corps and armies are digging in.

Economy – Industrialisation AL light – FYI, I got a few hits for Industrialisation in NC the last few turns. 10 RR
Reinforcements – 1 brigade
Replacements – None
Attachments
Ft Clark.JPG
Chat 3.JPG
Chat4.JPG
Chat3.JPG
Chat2.JPG

charlesonmission

Wed Jul 20, 2011 11:53 am

Early September 62

Battle - Ft Clark fell.

[ATTACH]15557[/ATTACH]

Kansas – Waltie is going to burn the village in Kansas then head south.

Tennessee – I am now positioned in a large fish hook from north western TN down through MS, AL, and GA. I’m still starving in Alabama, but I’ve built a depot and a supply wagon is on the way. He’s made a move towards Cornith, Ewell has a small force there, I doubt he can hold it though. I’m not sure what to do here, so I’ve sent Stuart to attack a brigade and am hoping Corinth can hold.

[ATTACH]15558[/ATTACH]

NC – Realistically, I can’t hold Ft. Morgan and Clark, so I’ve shipped out the artillery and will destroy them. I might have caught a break, the key word there is mike. He has a corps isolated. I’m sending everyone in except Lee to attack it.

[ATTACH]15559[/ATTACH]

Economy – Industrialisation AL light – 40 RR and 15 River
Reinforcements – None
Replacements – None

This could be an interesting turn.
Attachments
VA.JPG
TN.JPG
Ft Clark.JPG

charlesonmission

Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:09 pm

Oh, I see to have posted the wrong picture for NC. Basically, one of the Union corps has extended down to east of Holm's Corps. I think I can attack it with overwhelming numbers before he can get MTSG. Hence, me sending my 3 corps into the fray, with even the possibility that Joe Johnston could show up with his small force.

Jim-NC

Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:39 pm

The level 2 depot message means your leader is inactive. detach a lone brigade to destroy it.

BTW, you posted the same picture of the Chattanooga battle like 3 times (day 12).
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

charlesonmission

Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:13 pm

Late September 62

Disaster in the East. Capital evacuated to New Orleans!

Battle - Huge battle in New Berne, but the Union held on with a -4 NM for me. Rome GA has fallen and he’s nearly at Atlanta.

[ATTACH]15560[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15561[/ATTACH]

Kansas – He’s heading farther north in an attempt to get to the Indian village there.

Tennessee – I finally am getting fed in northern AL. Unfortunately, they have no wagons, and are too weak to move. Stuart had a victory and a loss in TN.

NC – I’m close to surrounding the corps in New Berne, so I’m going in again, this time by sending Lee and Longstreet, while hoping the rest will MTSG. You’ll see that he has outflanked me in western NC.

[ATTACH]15562[/ATTACH]

Economy
–Reinforcements –None
Replacements – 1 elite, 2 line, 1 cavalry, 1 light artillery, 3 field artillery
Attachments
Va Late September.JPG
Rome.JPG
New Berne.JPG

charlesonmission

Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:13 pm

Early October 62

Battle - My armies just got rocked in NC, morale is down below 70. Somehow I lost the battle of Martin where I had more troops, even. Atlanta has also fallen, and Humboldt.

[ATTACH]15563[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15564[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15565[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15566[/ATTACH]

Tennessee – Humboldt is fallen, next line if defence is Memphis, Corinth, and northern Alabama. Georgia is nearly overrun at this point, if he so desires.

NC – Multiple battles above, the results clearly show my troops won’t win a stand up fight, notice the battle of Martin. New defensive line starts in Wilmington and goes west. (If I can get there!)

[ATTACH]15567[/ATTACH]

Economy –Reinforcements –
Replacements – 2 elite, 5 line, 1 cavalry, 1 light artillery
Attachments
NC.JPG
New Berne.JPG
Martin.JPG
Humboldt.JPG
Atlanta.JPG

Longshanks
AGEod Grognard

Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:05 pm

I guess you see the handwriting on the wall. It will be hard to resist for many reasons that I see: 1) your NM is so low and so your cohesion is low too; 2) you're outnumbered by cannons in every fight; 3) you lack support troops like hospital and signal in nearly all your stacks, while he doesn't; 4) all his victories have earned "stars" for his leaders and units, making them get better while yours get worse; 5) your supply situation is rough as you have noted - lack of SUs makes combat go badly - even VERY badly in later rounds of a fight because you lack ammo; 6) you've attacked several times across rivers but without Marines/sailors, etc to help you with the river crossing, thus incurring a stiff penalty. I'm sure there are more.

However, so what!? Players are almost certainly going to get whipped in their first PBEM. It's like AACW hazing, so you might as well get it over with! :) This is how you learn to play better, and I bet you've learned a ton already. OAM will surely teach you, as he is a stern taskmaster! :thumbsup:

So, best wishes, and thanks for all the fish! (oops, wrong metaphor)

gchristie
Brigadier General

Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:25 pm

Don't sugar coat it, Longshanks ;)

You are a good sport, Charlesonmission.

Bravo.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

charlesonmission

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:20 am

Indeed, I have seen the handwriting for some time. Having said that, I've still enjoyed the game very much.

Longshanks wrote:I guess you see the handwriting on the wall. It will be hard to resist for many reasons that I see: 1) your NM is so low and so your cohesion is low too; 2) you're outnumbered by cannons in every fight; 3) you lack support troops like hospital and signal in nearly all your stacks, while he doesn't; 4) all his victories have earned "stars" for his leaders and units, making them get better while yours get worse; 5) your supply situation is rough as you have noted - lack of SUs makes combat go badly - even VERY badly in later rounds of a fight because you lack ammo; 6) you've attacked several times across rivers but without Marines/sailors, etc to help you with the river crossing, thus incurring a stiff penalty. I'm sure there are more.

However, so what!? Players are almost certainly going to get whipped in their first PBEM. It's like AACW hazing, so you might as well get it over with! :) This is how you learn to play better, and I bet you've learned a ton already. OAM will surely teach you, as he is a stern taskmaster! :thumbsup:

So, best wishes, and thanks for all the fish! (oops, wrong metaphor)

charlesonmission

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:21 am

Cheers!

gchristie wrote:Don't sugar coat it, Longshanks ;)

You are a good sport, Charlesonmission.

Bravo.

charlesonmission

Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:22 am

Thanks Jim for noticing that, I'm not sure how that happened. There were 5 or 6 battles in Chattanooga that turn. Anyways, I've long deleted those turns pictures.

Charles

Jim-NC wrote:The level 2 depot message means your leader is inactive. detach a lone brigade to destroy it.

BTW, you posted the same picture of the Chattanooga battle like 3 times (day 12).

charlesonmission

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:38 am

Late October 62

Battle - He beat me to Memphis. Memphis has fallen. NM now approaching the low 60s.

[ATTACH]15571[/ATTACH]

Tennessee – Memphis fell, Forney will land above Memphis now.

[ATTACH]15573[/ATTACH]

NC – Some skirmishes on the way down. Still trying to get to Wilmington.

[ATTACH]15572[/ATTACH]

Economy – Light industry in SC and AL
10 RR, 5 River
Reinforcements – None
Replacements – 1 line, 1 cavalry, 1 light artillery
Attachments
TN.JPG
NC.JPG
Memphis.JPG

charlesonmission

Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:23 pm

Early November 62

Battle - My rearguard was smashed in NC, NM is now below. Also there was another battle Memphis, which I thought he had already taken.

[ATTACH]15578[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15579[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15580[/ATTACH]

Kansas – Nothing happening

Tennessee – Forney will try to meet up with Ewell in Corinth.

NC – Rearguard was smashed, remnants rallying around Wilmington.

Economy – 3 supplies carts (for Forney, P.G.T. and Homes)

Reinforcements – None
Replacements – 1 line, 3 line infantry, 1, cavalry, 1 light artillery
Attachments
Memphis.JPG
Duplin.JPG
Goldsboro2.JPG

charlesonmission

Thu Jul 21, 2011 8:58 pm

Late November 62

Battle - Longstreet killed, Lee injured. A.S. Johnston is taking command Wilmington.

[ATTACH]15583[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15584[/ATTACH]

Tennessee – Forney holding Corinth.

[ATTACH]15582[/ATTACH]

NC – Holding Wilmington

[ATTACH]15581[/ATTACH]

Economy –

Reinforcements – None
Replacements – 2 elite, 7 line 1, cavalry, 5 light artillery
Attachments
Late Duplin.JPG
Late Wilmington.JPG
Late TN.JPG
Late NC.JPG

charlesonmission

Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:05 am

Early December 62

Battle - Forney held Corinth

[ATTACH]15597[/ATTACH]

Tennessee – A couple militia units are going to reinforce Forney. The supply wagons are ready are finally going to P.G.T.

[ATTACH]15596[/ATTACH]

NC – What is left of the AoNV is surrounded just south of Wilmington. It is still about 40,000 troops with 150 cannon. I’m curious to see if the Union will order an all out assault. I’m sending my fleet out, which is still in good condition to attack the Union ships blockading me.

[ATTACH]15595[/ATTACH]

Economy –

Reinforcements – None
Replacements – 1 cavalry.
Attachments
Corinth.JPG
Late dec TN.JPG
Late dec NC.JPG

Jim-NC

Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:32 pm

You have run out of replacements haven't you? Your elements are not getting the chance to rebuild before being smashed by union hordes.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

charlesonmission

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:49 pm

Late December 62

Battle - No big battles

Tennessee – Holding steady as last turn, the supply units arrived.

NC – My fleet retreated despite having more power, perhaps because of low NM. Otherwise, he’s still staring me down.

Economy – full mobilization, 3,000 paid for volunteers, and 8 % bonds.

Reinforcements – 2 marines and 8 brigades
Replacements – None

charlesonmission

Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:50 pm

I'm not sure one can run out of replacements, per se.... But, I do have very low manpower per month (who wants to fight for a losing cause?)

Charles

Jim-NC wrote:You have run out of replacements haven't you? Your elements are not getting the chance to rebuild before being smashed by union hordes.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”