Barney

AAR; Bull Run

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:03 am

Hi all,

Pocus asked me to post this AAR of the Bull Run campaign. Let me know what you think! I'll be posting a turn a day for the next week.

Barney

[color="Navy"][SIZE="6"]First Bull Run[/size][/color]

[color="Blue"]Beta version 0.96[/color]

Early June 1861 and the war between the States, which officially began on 12 April 1861 with the attack on Fort Sumter, enters it’s third month without a major engagement having yet been fought. In Washington, Congressmen, Senators and the public clamour for the Federal government to strike quickly and move onto Richmond, the newly designated capital of the Confederate States of America. Republican President, Abraham Lincoln has appointed Brigadier General Irvin McDowell to command the Army of North-eastern Virginia. McDowell, a graduate of West Point and veteran of the Mexican-American war is reluctant to commit his untried and untrained Army, the largest ever assembled in North America, without the proper training and preparation. However after continued pressure from the Politicians, Citizens and the President, he reluctantly begins to draw up plans for an invasion of north-eastern Virginia. As the President reminds him "You are green, it is true, but they are green also. You are all green alike". The stage is now set for the opening of the first major battle in the eastern theatre of the American Civil War.

The President has told McDowell that the American people expect a quick victory and consequently expect nothing less than the capture of Richmond within three months. (Game note on scenario objective: The union player wins if he ends the scenario in sole control of Richmond or if he breaks the Confederate morale. Time allotted 6 turns)

Start of Scenario

This is the extreme view of northeastern Virginia and southern Maryland. It allows a view of both capitals, where a large portion of the war will undoubtedly be fought.

Game note: AACW’s map is a very good representation of both the Eastern and Western theatres of the American Civil War portraying accurately the counties, cities, towns, forts, rivers, islands, roads and railroads that became the major objectives of the campaigns of the civil war. As the game is still in beta, the map is still subject to change. This will probably include a respositioning of Manassas.

The range of mountains running up the length of the map in western Virginia are the Shenandoah Mountains. There are numerous gaps through the mountains, both road and rail, which will be important from a strategic perspective as it will allow rapid troop movement from the Shenandoah Valley to the north-eastern battlefields. Control of the gaps is of vital importance, especially in the north where the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad allows for rail movement from Cumberland, Md to Harpers Ferry, Va. and the quick movement of troops across the theatre. Across the Maryland border from the town of Harper’s Ferry is Winchester, a strategic crossroads allowing for travel into western and eastern Virginia. Whilst rebel troop dispositions are incomplete due to the fog of war a large body of Confederates are known to be just south of Winchester clearly threatening Harper's Ferry.

South-east of Washington is the rail hub at Manassas Junction, where the Manassas Gap RR meets the Orange and Alexandria RR. McDowell knows it’s an important objective on the road to Richmond as denial of the railroad to the rebels will reduce their inability to move troops quickly around the theatre. It’s possession should open the way to Richmond. Unfortunately the hero of Fort Sumter P.G.T Beauregard, commander of the Confederate Army of the Potomac (5-1-3) also appreciates this fact and is directly opposing any movement down the O&A.

As for Union dispositions, in the extreme north-east on the other side of the Shenandoah Mountains is Brigadier General Robert Patterson (2-1-1) with two divisions, and in Washington and Alexandria are the main body of the Army of Northeastern Virginia (35,000 men), comprising 5 divisions.

Game note: There’s a lot of detail in Ageod’s ACW. If you don’t believe me take a look at the feature of the day mammoth thread. Each historic division, brigade and regiment is detailed in the game (refer above screenshot).

Barney

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:14 am

Turn 1 Early June, 1861

McDowell’s aim before pressing onto Richmond with his main force is to secure his flanks at Harpers Ferry and Port Tobacco.

Patterson’s 2nd Division
Patterson’s 2nd Division comprising Abercrombie’s Brigade of Michigan and Massachusetts volunteers and Wyncoop’s and Negley’s Pennsylvania Brigades are stationed in the town of Piedmont in Somerset County, Virginia.
McDowell orders Patterson and his 2nd Division to move by train to Harpers Ferry. Although the journey is a short one via the Baltimore & Ohio RR, the ownership of the area around Harpers Ferry is in dispute (Union control 75%, Confederate 25%) and so the division must make a 9 day roundabout trip north through Pennsylvania via Huntingdon and Bloomfield then south across the Potomac so as to approach Harpers Ferry from the North. Patterson has the trait “slow mover” meaning that his troops also move 10% slower than would otherwise be the case.

7th US Cavalry
McDowell has a regiment of US Cavalry (7th US Cavalry) stationed in Alexandria. He issues orders for the regiment to move east to patrol the gap between Harpers Ferry and Alexandria to assist in detecting any rebel movement to cross into Maryland from Leesburg and attempt a flanking movement against Washington. McDowell orders the regiment to assume a defensive posture and not attack an opposing force of greater strength. Game note: Regiment posture set to Defensive. The Cavalry regiment also has a detection points value of 5. Detection points can be generated from 3 sources, but only the highest value is used. The highest detect value of all units present is used to determine the detection rating otherwise 51%+ of military control will give a detection rating of 2 as will a 51%+ population control rating. It will be tough for anything to get past the cavalry regiment since the hide value of the opposing force must be greater than the detect value. The ground around Leesburg is hilly but this is not suffcient to give a "sneaky terrain" modifier to any enemy force as would be the case if the ground was mountainous or wilderness.

5th Division, Army of Northeastern Virginia
The 5th Division, part of the main force at Alexandria, under the command of Colonel Miles, comprising Davies and Blencker’s Brigades of New York infantry and attached artillery are ordered south to Port Tobacco, to protect the right flank. The remainder of the Army remains in front of Alexandria awaiting the rebel dispositions to become clearer.

During the 1st two weeks of June, as the Union troops fulfil McDowell’s orders, rebel forces are detected moving across two fronts in northern Virginia. Thomas Jackson has now been detected at the head of a rebel Division moving up the Shenandoah Valley which has seized the strategic town of Winchester, at the end of the railroad line from Baltimore, Md and just south of Harper's Ferry. Meanwhile Beauregard and Holmes are converging on Manassas Junction in an effort to block any move south by McDowell. Holmes force appears sizeable due to the number of green dots at the base of his portrait.The Union troops have completed their movement orders without contacting the enemy.
As a result of the loss of Winchester a number of counties across Pennsylvania, Delaware and Maryland have experienced a loss of support for the Union cause although as yet this is minimal and not an issue.

marecone

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:15 am

Beautiful! Finally we get to see some action. Looks like Le Rician and me have to hurry with those regimental lists.
Great. In future I suggest that you post AAR's where two players fight each other. It is more interesting when you get a chance to see both sides.

Barney

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:46 am

Hi Marecone,

A lot of work has already been done on the Regimental lists but I'm sure your input will be appreciated. One of the things I like most about Ageod's ACW is that you get regimental detail which has often been passed over in other strategic civil war games. Makes writing an AAR all the more pleasant when you can record the regiments present at each battle.

Above you have a picture of the Brigades that made up the 1st Division of the Army of Northeastern Virginia. The view below shows the regiments that make up the Second Brigade under Brig. Gen. R. C. Schenck

Below you see one of the Regiment's that makes up Schenck's Brigade, the 2nd New York. It has no experience at present, which is historically correct since the Regiment faced it's first action at Bull Run.

Each heart represents 50 men, so at the start of the campaign the Regiment is at full strength. This will change prior to battle if the Brigade's supply lines are cut and it's supplies on hand are used up.
Attachments
2nd New York.JPG
Schenk's Brigade.JPG
1st Div ANEV.JPG

marecone

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:07 am

Thanks :coeurs: . I wanted to see how regiments will be listed but didn't want to push it. Looks great :niark:

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:35 am

More... Please.... Need my fix...

marecone

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:51 am

One suggestion for Miss Sandra, I suppose. Could you draw a random face and use it instaed of that blank head with questionmark?
I belive it would be nicer that way. Now that head with questionmark just sticks out of the picture like it is something very, very important.
Just my two cents

Rest of the graphics are so beautiful that I know this map by heart already :niark:

Pocus

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:12 pm

the detail window has still to get the new data from AACW. This is in fact the BOA presentation, with AACW interface.

The 1st division shown is not constitued at start, to form it you gather in one unit the divisional HQ and the brigades you want. You can split it back if you prefer though. Having a formed division and not separated brigades provide several benefits on the other hand.

Question marks: they are used as placeholders till all graphics are done. They will in the finished game only be used with the 'unknown generals' option which will hide all clues on who can be the general you manipulate, until he fight in a significant battle. This option is only to be used by players who want to experiment how Lincoln (and Davis to a lesser extent ) felt when the decision to name someone without battlefield command experience happened.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Transat
Civilian

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:41 pm

This AAR is really cool!!! When can we play a demo?

Why did you not pick a full campaign, I want the full flavour of the game!!

Also; I think you should post and advertise elsewhere, I can't believe so few people know about Boa and American Civil War. You should buy more ads and post this kind of AAR in popular forums!

My 0.2€

Fatboy
Sergeant

Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:14 pm

Keep going with the AAR as is!
Playing a single side in a limited scenario is the best way to give us a taste of the new game without drowning us in detail.

I would be interested in seeing how rail movement is ordered & executed.

Play on!

Chris0827
General

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:59 pm

Manassas does look a little out of place. Centreville should be there. Throw in some screenshots of generals. I'd like to see what special abilities they have.

Florent

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:51 pm

Thanks so much Barney, the AAR was eagerly awaited by everyone !! :coeurs:

Spharv2

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:37 pm

The AI is only upgraded to AACW standards so far for the Bull Run scenario, so no campaign AARs yet, sorry. As soon as the AI is implemented in the campaign, I'll look into starting one though. I'll need to find someplace with a ton of free space to host pictures though, since in my BoA AAR I maxed out my space limits on two different hosting sites. :)

Spruce
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:35 pm

hey - I'm new to the forum ! This game looks really good ! Hope it comes out soon ! :niark:

vertical
Conscript

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:21 pm

This is going to be great. :niark:

vertical

beowulf
Private

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:36 pm

Great! More! More! :nuts:

I love the detail in how units are put together. I remember an old ACW game by Empire Interactive where you could put together divisions, corps and armies in a similar fashion, but that game worked so horribly bad that that part unfortunately was the most enjoyable.

jmlo
Colonel

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:54 pm

Thanks Barney for the AAR , it's very nice ! :nuts:

A detail :
http://www.ageod-forum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=216

it is a little surprising to see Quality 9 for an inexperienced unit, no ?
Reste à avoir bon coeur et ne s'étonner de rien (Henri II)

ian
Conscript

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:02 pm

[color="Teal"]Each heart represents 50 men, so at the start of the campaign the Regiment is at full strength. This will change prior to battle if the Brigade's supply lines are cut and it's supplies on hand are used up.
[/color]
Is it possible to space the hearts so its more obvious what the totals are?
eg xxxx xxxx to show 200 men blocks or xx xx for 100 men blocks?
Or do players just get used to the length of lines and guage the strength from that?
Perhaps I'm being picky?

Ian

Chris0827
General

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:18 pm

ian wrote:[color="Teal"]Each heart represents 50 men, so at the start of the campaign the Regiment is at full strength. This will change prior to battle if the Brigade's supply lines are cut and it's supplies on hand are used up.
[/color]
Or do players just get used to the length of lines and guage the strength from that?
Perhaps I'm being picky?

Ian

Why not just show the number of men? I'd hate to have to count the hearts and multiply by 50 a few thousand times.

Ironclad
Sergeant

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:05 am

Barney - Thanks for the AAR. What is the information on the Brigade icons?

James D Burns

Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:58 am

jmlo wrote:it is a little surprising to see Quality 9 for an inexperienced unit, no ?

Experience is experience and appears to already have a system for growth as a unit becomes more experienced. I would guess troop quality is more a reflection of basic training and the general condition of the men (i.e. age and health condition). So the best men go to line units (TQ 9) and the rest go to militias and other less relied upon units (TQ's less than 9), or units hastily raised with litte basic training.

Jim

Pocus

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:04 am

TQ is BOA's troop quality but has yet to be renamed Discipline in ACW. We now have Discipline, Cohesion and Experience to gauge the soldiers.

Discipline scale:
11: very good
10: good
9: fair
8: average
7: below average
6: bad
5: catastrophic

The rebs start with one point more compared to Union but as was progress things even.

About the hearts: you should get the number of men too, once the screen is reworked, don't worry.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Pocus

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:10 am

sidenote: cohesion is still not shown on the detail window. Cohesion vary between 50 and 100 roughly and is used up when marching or fighting. Discipline, cohesion and experience all play a role when there is morale checks to do. If the morale check is failed, under fire, the regiment rout. If too much regiment rout in your army, the whole army rout (physically, ie you withdraw from fight and move to another region, with some losses proportional to the enemy power, taking into account cavalry on both side etc.)

Barney

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:21 am

ian wrote:[color="Teal"]Each heart represents 50 men, so at the start of the campaign the Regiment is at full strength. This will change prior to battle if the Brigade's supply lines are cut and it's supplies on hand are used up.
[/color]
Perhaps I'm being picky?

Ian

Hi Ian,

No you're not being pickey. As Pocus stated above, currently some aspects of the unit screen are still to be completed but we can look forward to having the number of men explicitly detailed.

Barney

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:56 am

Ironclad wrote:Barney - Thanks for the AAR. What is the information on the Brigade icons?

Ironclad,

The Brigade icon outlines the following (although I must add to everyone, remember this is the beta build and everything is constantly being improved as we get closer to release, so artwork/ gameplay etc is subject to change)

Barney

Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:20 am

Turn 2 Late June 1861

Having secured his flanks, McDowell is ready to begin his move on Manassas Junction with the 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th Divisions, Army of NEV. He orders his division commanders not to seek out an attack, but rather to choose good defensive ground if meeting either Holmes or Beauregard’s force, letting them attack. In the game Defensive posture means that units won’t engage enemy units unless attacked, but if attacked will benefit from a terrain bonus.On the 22nd June, 1861 the Confederate forces under Holmes, having moved north faster than the Union troops could move south, moved through Manassas and onto Alexandria. Alexandria, located in Fairfax County, looked at first like a rout for the Confederacy however upon reflection was a bloody affair that resulted in stalemate, the two forces of equal size withdrawing to their starting positions to lick their wounds and revise their strategies.

Despite the large number of Confederate casualties, including 1,350 dead and 1,000 prisoners to the Union's 800 dead (each heart equates to 50 men - in the final build you will also see the number of troops) the Confederacy were able to halt the Union advance and thus place additional pressure on General McDowell to seize Richmond quickly and end the war.

Howard’s Brigade, part of the 3rd Division performed with considerable distinction in the battle, with the 3rd and 4th Maine Regiments in particular doing great credit to the Pine Tree state. (Game note 3rd and 4th Maine received 2 stars experience). However Wilcox’s Brigade in the 3rd Division comprising regiments from New York and Michigan and Keyes Brigade of Maine and Connecticut volunteers from the 1st Division suffered severe casualties and will now need to be withdrawn from the line as they are no longer effective fighting forces.

Above the terrain indicator (seen with the ducks flying over) are a series of modifier icons which outline the reasons for the battle result. From left to right these are as follows (i) Union has a defensive posture (ii)Union’s luck from dice roll (out of 100) (iii) Union receives a terrain benefit from being in defensive posture (iv) number of regiments who required morale checks (v) number of regiments outside command (vi) number of regiments/ batteries/ squadrons/ units engaged (vii)range at which units opened fire. The scales show the global combat value of the opposing forces weighted in the Unions favour and the number of hits suffered (the Confederacy had more). (viii) The Confederacy attempted one retreat (ix) range at which the Confederacy opened fire (x)number of units engaged (xi) number of Confederate units outside command (xii) number of Confederate units performing morale checks (xiii) terrain bonus. This equals 0 as the rebels launched the attack (xiv) luck from dice roll (xv) the Confederacy had assumed an offensive posture.

Below you see the disposition of the opposing forces in northeastern Virginia.

Jackson’s force remains in Winchester and has begun to entrench (as depicted by the cannon and sandbags) while the opposing forces having just fought the Battle of Alexandria remain where they began the movement with the Confederacy still controlling the roads into Manassas.

McDowell finishes June where he started and reconsiders the avenues open to him in an attempt to open a door to Richmond. It's a tough assignment (as it was historically) since the geography between Washington and Richmond does not allow a lot of room for manoeuvre (unlike out West), what with the Shenandoah Mountains to the west and the penninsulas of Chesapeake Bay to the east.

marecone

Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:35 am

Great AAR.Is it too much to ask you to show how some brigade or regiment performed. I am just curious. If it is too much to ask, ok.

Nathaniel
Private

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:13 am

If the game play is half as good as the screenshots I will be have to be dragged away from this game. :nuts:
They have ruined my beautiful fort.
Colonel Alfred Rhett [commander Fort Sumter 1863]

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:03 pm

Problem with unregistered users unable to access screenshots solved.

(However, there is a slight decrease in the screenshots quality).
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Chris0827
General

Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:40 pm

Who is Robert M. Holmes? The confederate general was named Theophilus Hunter Holmes.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”