rattler01
Captain

Rattler CSA AAR 61/w KY

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:38 pm

Well This is my first AAR so lets give it a go.
Settings:
Historical Attrition
Standard Naval
No redeploymeny
Normal Foreign
Long delay
No random generals
Normal activation

House rules:
Mobilization:

1.) For the south: No Part-Mobilization before Early April 1862 and Full Mobilization not before Late September 1862

2.) For the north: Part-Mobilization from Late September 1862 , Full Mobilization from Early January 1863

Every side can wait as long as they want to Part-Mobilization , but there must be a Part-Mobilization once before a Full Mobilization can occur.

The idea behind this is that both sides didn`t realize at the begining that the War would take very long.

Raiders:

For the south: In the border states: West Virginia, Kentucky, Maryland, Delaware, and Missouri we can raid like we want to with single units. In "non-border-states" like Illinos I must take a leader and 3 units to raid. This should show how the csa did`t raid deeply very often.

For the north: Always the USA Player must take a leader and 3 units to raid. This should show that also the North didn`t raid that much and to protect (a little bit) the poor railway network from the CSA.

Emancipation Declaration (North): Only after the USA Player had a victory after September 1862 where the northern player won 3 Morale points in battle or the northern player has taken 3 Major cities like Vicksburg, Memphis and New Orleans.

If England/France enters the war on CSA Side the Northern Player is allowed to "Full-Mobilize"

Cotton Embargo, Total Blockade, Warbonds, Calling for volunteers and so on is always allowed.

Eastern front:

Because of the huge inbalance in auto generated units and the influence of stripted events. There should be no conflict in VA or MD until the armies have released.

Post note: We later agreed that all offensive forces should have 3 elements and 1 leader.

All pics come before the describtions.

rattler01
Captain

Turn1

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Explained in other sections

Eastern:
Sending all units expect wagons and light bde to travel by coast up to VA. My goals here are too hold Manassas until the USA takes the 10 morale hit. Besides that I want to keep them out of VA has much as possible. I plan to force them Yankees to react to me by sending that fast mover Jackson to force him to guard his rear areas. The weakness to the union is supply lines so I will focus on depots on cities that are below level 3 and can't push them themselves. I'd like to take H. Ferry for the Victory points. And should I win a major victory, I may try for Fort Monroe later in the year. All in all I need to make this front has stable has possible, while not suffering a major defeat.

West:
Attacking Fort Sumter with just the light bde and sending them towards the West. Goals here are to hold what I have. Island 10 is key to blocking the Mississippi river and will be reinforced. I have some breathing room here until KY is decided. Also Nashville will be fortified and will anchor the eastern edge of this front. I'm also going to try for some major raiding here to force him to guard depots. There aren't many large cities here so the depots are even more valuable. I'll talk more on this once KY becomes active.

Far West:
Goals are to blow MO depots fast. And form a large AR force in Fayetteville. It all depends on how much he puts in to this front has the union can quickly out pace the CSA here. Little Rock is the goal to hold as it is the easiest major city to take. My plans here are to keep a force not only facing him, but to hide one in central MO that can hit the depots should he expand to quickly.

Navy:
I will mention all coastal activity here until a front opens. I'll reinforce has I can, but until the spring draft comes and I can mobilize, I'll just need to keep him too busy to think of landing anywhere.

Replacements/Politics:
Embargo, x10 RR, x20 River

rattler01
Captain

Turn2

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Eastern:
Sending McColloch, Floyd, Ruggles, and Whiting west. Winder and Winchester militia are going to Grafton to blow the depot, they'll try to force march to make it this turn. Taking Norfolk and then sending that militia out to western VA to support Winder. Other generals going to fredericksburg, Manassas, and Winchester.

West:
SC light bde will arrive in Montgomery this turn.

Far West:
Nothing new

Navy:
Moving SC force across NC coast this turn.

Replacements/Politics:
x10 RR, call for volunteers, exceptional taxes
x4 Inf, x4 Cav, x3 Light art, x5 field art

rattler01
Captain

Turn 3

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:52 pm

Eastern:
Well the forced march failed so I'll head into Grafton with the suffolk unit and move winder's further west towards the Ohio river.

Reinforcements: x1 cav art, x1 field art, x4 cav, xx2 militia, x1 VA huge bde, x2 VA /w SS bde

West:
Generals and SC light bde will meet at Corinth.

Reinforcements: none

Far West:
All quiet

Reinforcements: x1 field art, x2 AR militia, x2 MO militia, x1 AR huge, x1 AR w/cav

Navy:
SC force may arrive in Norfolk this turn w/ a forced march. Otherwise they will take supply dam. Brigs to gulf box.

Replacements/Politics:
5% war bonds, x20 RR
Replacements: x1 elite Inf, x5 light art
Support: x2 signal, x1 med

rattler01
Captain

Turn 4

Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:56 pm

Eastern:
USA has reinforced H. Ferry, so it will be tougher to take. The Grafton depot will be blown. As seeing that I can't go (lack of units to keep to the rules) and take an unguarded Pittsburg this turn, I'll just destroy the RR all over WV.

Reinforcements: x2 VA militia

West:
Ruggles and whiting have taken the SC light and will move up the Ohio to the OH/IL border to start some raiding.

Reinforcements:

Far West:
McCulloch and Floyd will continue to AR to provide leaders should the St. Louis massacre not fire. The rest of the AR units will start gathering around Feyetteville. Luck is with me as the 2 MO militias appeared in Rolla and springfield

Reinforcements: x2 AR militia

Navy:
Another failed forced march by SC units. They will arrive in Norfolk next turn, but will take supply dam. All river boats are gathering around Island 10. With LA transports going to Selma to make a depot.

Replacements/Politics:
x1 SS

rattler01
Captain

Turn 5

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:02 pm

Eastern:
Well this makes the last quiet turn in the east. The SC boys have arrived and will join with Magruder to reinforce Manassas. In WV I'm moving the units to blow the last of the RR and prepare to run south to Covington. Besides that, more men continue to trickle north to strengthen the line. I'm also moving a militia to Williamsburg to start digging in.

Reinforcements: x1 cav art, x1 field art, x2 VA w/ SS, x1 NC w/ cav

Ruggles is making a strike for Vincennes depot. Besides that its still very quiet with KY being neutral.

Reinforcements: x1 Coastal gun (for fort Henry), x1 TN w/ art

Far West:
Forces continue to concentrate in Feyetteville AR. The MO militias are ordered to blow the depots and evacuate Rolla. An AR militia is also headed out to take the union villages in KS.

Reinforcements:

Navy:
The Richmond navy is moving out to Norfolk. To get ready to run for the Atlantic

Replacements/Politics:
x1 Signal

rattler01
Captain

Turn 6

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:10 pm

Eastern:
Well the dogs of war have been unleashed. In the WV side I'm withdrawing my militias to Covington to start setting up defenses. I don't know if the effort was worth going there instead of taking H. Ferry. Blowing the depot was nice, but with 4 union wagons there it might prove fruitless. Other than that the newly named AoNV is heading to Manassas to reinforce it, minus Longstreet who is fortifying Fredericksburg. I'm also setting up men to reinforce Norfolk. I'm also setting cav out to cut the rails north of H. ferry in MD. I will be blowing the Strasburg depot. Meanwhile, in the Shenandoah Jackson is leading a march of ~6500 men to Harrisburg. I have chosen this target for several reasons: 1. It has a depot I can blow on a level 2 city, 2. It should be only defended my 1 militia, 3. It is a massive rail hub and opens up the most of the U.S. Eastern seaboard. Harpers Ferry is just becoming to defended and is the most obvious target. I must keep the Union reacting to me until winter. Also with knowing 2 union generals were railed towards Philadelphia, I can only guess he is already forming a coastal landing force. And I need to do what I can to keep that force form moving out. This strategy is vital for me to keep up until the south can form corps and set proper lines of defense.

Reinforcements: x6 VA bde ( x1 huge, x2 w/SS, x3 w/ cav), x5 militia, x1 art, x4 SC light art

West:
This seems like a fiasco to me. Union elements are popping up everywhere and Ruggles is in danger. I don't understand how I lost the battle and took the city. But I'll try to blow the depot on my way out. I've decided to make a run for it and maybe try getting those other depots another time. Ruggles will do what he can to retreat south and will end up reinforcing the garrison at island 10.

Reinforcements: x1 militia, x4 LA light art

Far West:

Now here is a place that is looking good for me. With the 2 depots destroyed, and from what I can tell the union have no active wagons to replace them. This will give me plenty of time to entrench at Fayetteville with a powerful division. It's a bit of a gamble staying that far north, but as long as I can keep the pressure up and defend Fort Smith. I should be able to hold them. And who knows maybe a lucky battle will allow me to keep Springfield or even take some of MO back. I have no illusions of taking St. Louis has it can be swiftly reinforced and would endanger my Far west force. It also seems like the native villages will not be around much longer. In my games I love taking the TX coast with all those VP cities, so I'll have to watch that. I may look into attacking the South west box to help with that also.

Reinforcements: x3 TX rangers, x1 AR art, 1x AR SS

Navy:
The Mississippi boats are heading to be outside Cairo to keep a escape route open for Ruggles. I'm also going to try and get the Richmond fleet out to the Atlantic. The LA transports will be making a depot at Selma AL this turn.

Replacements/Politics:
Embargo, 5% war bonds, Exceptional taxes, 1,000 for volunteers
Replacement: x1 field art

rattler01
Captain

Turn 7

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:16 pm

Eastern:
Well, Northern papers flood with the news Harrisburg fell to Jackson. I hope to keep the Union off balance a little longer by having him run around and take Lancaster, Reading, and York. I'll be detaching a cav element to blow the Harrisburg depot. The Union have a 350 power force at H. Ferry thats got me itching. I'm also dispatching my cav from VA everywhere to blow every line of RR I can in MD. It looks like McDowell made a move for Manassas last turn, but unfortunately didn't engage and retreated back to Alexandria. Since his trenches are gone I'm moving Beauregard to attack conservatively. In WV Winder is running for Covington before supplies run out. He and his merry men took out nearly all the RR in WV. Hopefully this buys me time to entrench and reinforce this area. Somehow I missed blowing the Strasburg depot so I'll send a militia to do it. I'm also sending small units to Covington and Williamsburg.

Reinforcements: x1 VA militia

West:
Well it looks like Ruggles made it out. He will continue south by the Ohio river. Meanwhile my river fleet will continue to blockade Cairo. I'm seeing a few units appear on the KY border. I'm hoping this front stays closed for as long as possible.

Reinforcements: x1 LA militia, x2 AL militia, x2 TN militia

Far West:

Well he moved into Springfield and is set to strike at AR. But I'll have a strong division there with a garrison at Fort smith to guard my lines. Once Ruggles is back I'll also move some boats to keep a crossing over the Arkansas river blocked. Now that my MO militia are free I'll use them to cause some havoc in MO. One thing I see is an unguarded art piece in Bloomington MO that my militia will strike at. The other will go into KS to destroy more villages.

Reinforcements: x1 AR SS, x1 TX Militia

Navy:
Well the VA fleet made it out minus the gunboats. The Virginia is leaving VA and heading to Wilmington to protect against coastal landings. I'll also be sending those Frigates out to raid Union shipping.

Replacements/Politics:
Medium Industry in NC, SC, GA, AL,and MS. Light in LA and AR

rattler01
Captain

Turn 8

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:25 pm

Eastern:
First a moment of silence for P.T.G. Beauregard has fallen bringing victory for the south at fairfax. The battle on day 10 destroyed the Alexandria Garrison in which I captured their cannons and 1 morale point. However on day 15 I was repulsed my the AotP. The combined losses were CSA 6,000 and USA 5,500 of which only 3,350were of active units. I think that the Union player may attempt an attack on Manassas next turn so I am withdrawing the AoNV of 22,000 men back and pulling 7,500 reinforcements including Longstreet from Fredericksburg. In the far north Jackson captures both Reading and Lancaster. Instead of attacking York, I have decided to send him to capture Wilmington to cut off MD and continue to Dover. I cav unit will stay in Wilmington to blow the depot to annoy him sense the city will still push supplies. Zollicoffer men at Winchester fought a series of losing battles between Winchester and the Strasburg depot. However this has left the depot under my control with the Union force both very disorganized and low on ammo. Reinforcements continue to arrive at Norfolk and Covington.

Reinforcements: x3 LA light art, x1 VA art, x1 VA cav art

West:
Ruggles sets up shop at Island 10 and I begin reinforcing Nashville and Polk at Henry TN. I'm also strengthening the major Gulf ports. My river fleet repulsed the Unions on the Mississippi and keeps the river junction under my control.

Reinforcements:

Far West:

Well not much going on. The MO militias continue to harass the USA. I succeeded at taking the art piece in Bloomington. I will river these out to Island 10. I may lose them to the St. Louis guns, but no biggy seeing has I didn't build them. The militia there will head out to St. Josephs to keep the Unions jumping.

Reinforcements:

Navy:
The C.S.S. Virginia was sunk trying to pass Fort Monroe.

Replacements/Politics:
x20 RR, x1 Brig

rattler01
Captain

Turn9

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:36 pm

Battles:

Eastern:
Jackson has taken Wilmington! I will blow that depot shortly. Unfortunately, his men were to tired to assault Dover. Also Huger is up for promotion so I'll do that now. Sadly, it looks like I haven't been able to flush out the Union troops up north. And Jackson's men are in need of rest so I will move him to Cambridge to rest before he boards boats back to VA with his 7,000 men. On the other side of the state it seems the USA have drawn down the Grafton force. I will leave Winder with 3,500 here in case it is a ruse. Now for the awesome news. First General Johnston led a terrific withdraw and defense of Manassas killing over 3,700 Yankees for about 2,000 rebels and winning 2 morale points. McDowell is once again on the retreat and I may have enough time to organize and reinforce to strike him again. Also I succeeded in blowing the Strasburg depot at the cost of that brave militia unit. This has provided me with an opening. I am dividing the AoNV keeping Johnston with about 21,000 in Manassas to smack around the 13,500 Union that are very disorganized. And moving Longstreet with 15,000 to move to guard Winchester and arrive at H. Ferry on day 14. After the depot was blown and the USA attacked, Shields was only at 8% ammo which means that his force is out of ammo/supplies and vulnerable. Zollicoffer's 2,000 men are exhausted but are marching to a virtually undefended H. Ferry. Also the Union hasn't reinforced Fort Monroe. I will move some 5,500 men on the Peninsula and Norfolk to pressure him there. The light SC art is also on its way to make a fort in VA, my final decision where is undecided. That leaves only about 2,100 in Fredericksburg. that is a total of about 60,000 effective in VA against 30,00 total Union forces in VA and MD. I find myself making riskier moves, but until he reacts to me I have to keep pushing. If he doesn't start rushing men south after the Manassas event and with Jackson and the other VA forces being fresh I may make a serious play against D.C.

Reinforcements:

West:
My fort guns are on there way to Fort Henry. And Ruggles have taken up positions at Island 10. I have begun reinforcing this front and plan on activating it shorty to catch the Union with its pants down. And force him to fight here as well. Also x4 light LA art on on there way north to make a fort at Nashville. My fleet is resupplying at Memphis so they are ready for the KY campaign.

Reinforcements:

Far West:

My MO militias are getting hammered and may not be around much longer. I've also noticed Sumner arriving in Texas. Luckily my TX rangers are done and some more cav formed reacting to the attack. My Bushwackers are heading into MO continue the raids, including Jefferson City which is unguarded with a wagon that I would guess is about to make a depot. I also lost the light art to the St. Louis guns. Oh well at least I didn't build them. I have about 6,000 at Fayetteville and another 1,200 at Fort Smith. If Union decide to land in TX I will be forced to abandon this area. But I will make him pour more resources then he wanted too. And this will allow me to use my coastal division else where.

Reinforcements: x1 TX w/SS

Navy:
I've begun gathering units to make a coastal reaction force at Augusta SC under Whiting which has about 9,600 men. I'll probably pull some out of VA once I win the Manassas event. And the USA morale drops to below 80.

Replacements/Politics:
x40 RR x20 River
x1 Army HQ

Overview:
I'm feeling very good beating up the USA in the East and keeping them out of AR in the west. And with my morale being at 115 and over 200 VP lead with a +17 pt per turn increase. Also FI stands at +30 which isn't to shabby. I just need to keep him to busy to launch a coastal attack before 62. From what I gather in my other games he must have at least a 15,000-25,000 men not on a front. And its probably more with him having done 2,000k volunteers. What would make my day right now is to see 15,000 men rush down to MD to solidify that position.

rattler01
Captain

Break

Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:39 pm

Well thats it for now. I'm actually on turn 15, but sense the game is still in progress I don't want to give to much away. Anyone have suggestions about improving how I'm doing the AAR. I know I need to figure out how to crop off the black around my battles.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:30 pm

Good job! Only thing I can think of is to show the results of political actions like the blockade.
Are you using Paint for the battles? If you are, you can just click-drag the corners to crop.

RunnerKnight
Conscript

Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:47 pm

Thanks for writing this, I've been looking for another AACW AAR to read, I'll follow this one until it's conclusion. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

rattler01
Captain

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:07 am

Thx I've just been going over soundoff's and bank's epic AAR and thought I would do one myself. Right now I'm using Irfanview for images. If anyone has a better program thats free let me know where to go. Good point I'll show a score screeny next turn and will look may look into editing my past ones. It's currently sitting at 29.

rattler01
Captain

Turn 10

Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:53 am

Eastern:
Well, with Jackson resting in Cambridge he is now ready to return to VA. His 6,300 will arrive in VA on day 15. Then he will rest and rejoin the AoNV of 24,000. Which will sit until the Union loses the Manassas event. Up by WV Longstreet has secured Winchester and will continue into H. Ferry with 10,000 men to join Zollicoffer's 4,000 that secured the town last turn. It seems the Grafton force has shown up in MD with about 10,000 men. If this force combined with Shields's men this could become a problem. Fortunately both forces are disorganized and shields has already begun to take supply losses. I'm also splitting about 4,000 mostly militia from Longstreet to return to Manassas. This will bring the AoNV to roughly 34,000 affective. Over on the coast I made a mistake bringing a bde to close to Fort Monroe and they took 30 hits (about 3,000 men). On the plus side the art needed for a fort in Norfolk will arrive this turn. Total effective are about 54,000 CSA vs ~45,000 USA (w/25,000 unaccounted for).

Reinforcements: x1 VA militia

West:
The USA build up in KY message happened. I fear that he may attack next turn. My fort guns have arrived at Fort Henry which is guarded by only 1,000 men. Ruggles position at Island 10 I believe is very secure with about 5,000 men. The x4 light LA art will arrive next turn to make a fort at Nashville which has only 3,500 men. Polk has about another 6,000 men spread between Nashville and the Mississippi river. My fleet will head back out while I have the chance and attempt to block movement by water to buy more time. I need to get use from them before the Union Ironclads show up. Which I'm guessing are the sea units at St. Louis that have been building for a few turns. Forces of about 15,000 CSA including locked units face, I would expect, +20,000 Yankees.

Reinforcements: x4 TN militia

Far West:

I'm starting to feel the weight of Union numbers in this theater. McCulloch still sits at Fayetteville with about 7,000 men with Sibley still at 1,200. The fact that I was able to blow all the depots has stopped the Union advance cold for the summer. My MO units have also kept many of his reinforcements in KS or northern MO. One of which was nearly destroyed at St. Joseph. I'm pulling these units out now that partisans can do the job, but I don't expect them to make it out. Rolla and Jefferson city now have guarded depots. But until Springfield gets one I should be good. Winter can't come to soon on this front. While it may look inviting to attack, a lot of my men are AR militia that will fight poorly in MO. My TX forces of about 1,200 mounted units move to Henderson TX. My TX militia took Laredo and will return to Houston. My native allies should show up next turn allowing me to double this force. And strike either Dallas or Tucson before winter. Forces CSA 12,000 vs ~20,000 Yankees spread from Laredo TX to ST. Louis.

Reinforcements:

Navy:
The coastal force is about formed at Augusta SC however I've dropped the size of the force to about 5,000 by sending more men to TN where I know they will be needed. 1,000 more men are at New Orleans.

Replacements/Politics:
x90 RR x5 River
x1 field art

Overview:
Winter needs to hurry up out in the west. I don't know what I need to do in order to get those Yankees to show up in MD. While its nice having at least 25,000 men not fighting, not knowing where they are is nerve wrecking. If I advance on D.C. in the open and they appear I may suffer the defeat that will ruin me in the East. Had I known he wouldn't commit that many men I would have simply brought all my men together and assaulted D.C. months ago.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jun 15, 2010 8:43 pm

I think you can combine your TX Ranger regiments. It should cut down on command costs.

rattler01
Captain

Thu Jun 17, 2010 3:21 am

Do you know how to do that Enf91?

I wish I could continue posting up to Turn 16 in which we are on, but with this being an active game I'm trying to make sure I don't give anything away. Also my posts will be alot cleaner after getting so ideas from how Banks did his.

mikee64
Brigadier General

Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Nice job on the AAR so far rattler.

enf, you can't combine the Texas Rangers like you can the regular militia units; they won't merge.
Mike

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jun 17, 2010 8:34 pm

Oh. I thought they could.

Anyway, some brigades, including militia regiments, can merge. If you have a stack of 2 militia regiments in separate units, ctrl-click on them to select both at the same time. Then find the "merge units" button (a red +); it should be in the 2nd section of commands. Click it and presto! one unit, one less CP required.

gchristie
Brigadier General

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:06 pm

Here is a link to a list that Jabberwock had created showing the units that had an "open slot" and can be combined with another unit.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=69220&postcount=11

Some things may have changed but I think much of this still applies. If not, I'm counting on a correction shortly :thumbsup:

Advanced search, don't leave home without it.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

gchristie
Brigadier General

Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:14 pm

Here is a link to a list that Jabberwock had created showing the units that had an "open slot" and can be combined with another unit.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showpost.php?p=69220&postcount=11

Some things may have changed but I think much of this still applies. If not, I'm counting on a correction shortly :thumbsup:
Attachments
200px-Gray_lensman.jpg
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

rattler01
Captain

Early September

Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:46 am

I can't wait until I can post turn 18, as I've gotten alot better at editing sceenies. These ones just look so bad now anyway. Sorry for the delay, but I can only post as fast as we go.

(still need to figure out how to make make the image smaller to only have the battle report)

Eastern:
Things are certainly cooled on this front. I'm however, expecting him to make another play at Manassas this turn. I currently only have about 12, 000 fighting men there. But the force size will double on day 5 with Jackson, Winchester, and some Richmond forces joining. On the coast the siege of Fort Monroe continues. I have more artillery arriving there also to help make a breach. Up by H. Ferry about 10,000 fresh Yankees are setting into Chambers MD to counter Longstreet's 7,000 who just repulsed a Union force of 1,800 under Nelson. I plan on sitting tight in my defensive position and let him winter out there if he wants too. Shield's unfortunately made it back to D.C. with most of his force. Hopefully they wont repair until after winter. I'm also launching another RR operation across MD to keep annoying him.

West:
A.S. Johnston arrives to lead the 5,000 troops at Nashville headed into KY when it activates. This will leave about 2,700 inside Fort Davidson (which is in Nashville) which General Hindman will lead when he arrives. Polk is being sent to take command of Fort Henry which is only standing at about 1,200 effectives has General Hardee arrives to lead the 5,700 men at Humboldt TN. Ruggles is well dug in with 3,800 men at island 10. My 14 gunboats remain off Cairo to keep a passage for my ships that are stuck in Tennessee to join them and to hold back grant when he arrives next turn.

Far West:

Things are looking fairly well in this theater. I doubt a Union advance from MO this year. Sibley has taken command of the x3 partisan forces and will use them to ransack the Union far west and force him to station forces and rebuild depots out there. Van Dorn has arrived and will go take command of the 2,300 Texans up near Dallas. Still no sign of my Indian allies.

Coast:
It seems the coastal front will open at Charleston. Its hard to gauge the Union force, but I would guess it to be around +20,000 men. As mentioned I'm sending Magruder south, but he will only arrive at Marion SC. So I will be sending Whiting's men along with the units that were being made for the Wilmington fort. This along with some minor reinforcements from else where will give me close to 25,000 men in this theater. Hopefully the militia unit at Charleston will be able to blow the depot.

Reinforcements: x4 SC militia

Replacements/Politics:
minor economy NC,GA,MI and med in AL

Overview:
Well at least I know where he landed. I wish the forts would block supply cause then he would have to attack them or starve. I'm feeling very confident in the far west. It looks like he is building in Dallas for a move into TX. I already have the forces needed to counter this and am not worried. A strike into Springfield is still open right before winter now that I have a wagon in Fayetteville. Sibley should prove useful in taking some unguarded depots and further delaying the western advance. In the East I am not very happy with how stretched my forces are becoming. I will feel better once the Manassas event is over. On the coast I am very hopeful. He shouldn't be able to tell how many men I have down there. Let alone that I outnumber him. A smashing victory here will go a long way to winning this game. When KY goes active I'll have my forces ready to slow the Union advance and hopefully stabilize it until I can get respectable forces into the area.

rattler01
Captain

Turn 12

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:26 am

Eastern:
Things are certainly cooled on this front. I'm however, expecting him to make another play at Manassas this turn. I currently only have about 12, 00 fighting men there. But the force size will double on day 5 with Jackson, Winchester, and some Richmond forces joining. On the coast the siege of Fort Monroe continues. I have more artillery arriving there also to help make a breach. Up by H. Ferry about 10,000 fresh Yankees are setting into Chambers MD to counter Longstreet's 7,000. I plan on sitting tight in my defensive position and let him winter out there if he wants too. Shield's unfortunately made it back to D.C. with most of his force. Hopefully they wont repair until after winter. I'm also launching another RR operation with an about 6,000 cav across all of MD to keep annoying him.

West:
A.S. Johnston arrives to lead the 5,000 troops at Nashville headed into KY when it activates. This will leave about 2,700 inside Fort Davidson (which is in Nashville) which General Hindman will lead when he arrives. Polk is being sent to take command of Fort Henry which is only standing at about 1,200 effectives has General Hardee arrives to lead the 5,700 men at Humboldt TN. Ruggles is well dug in with 3,800 men at island 10. My 14 gunboats remain off Cairo to keep a passage for my ships that are stuck in Tennessee to join them and to hold back grant when he arrives next turn.

Far West:

Things are looking fairly well in this theater. I doubt a Union advance from MO this year. Sibley has taken command of the x3 partisan forces and will use them to ransack the Union far west and force him to station forces and rebuild depots out there. McCulloch will advance with 6,700 men and meet the 120 men left from the MO militia, having 900 from fort Smith take up there positions. I hope to deal a quick victory for myself and then withdraw most of the force back to AR cause I will not be building a depot there. Van Dorn has arrived and will go take command of the 2,300 Texans up near Dallas. Still no sign of my Indian allies.

Coast:
Well, Charleston has fallen to the Union landing force of about 18,000 men. Magruder will arrive to the Northwest at Black SC with about 23,000 men and Bragg. Another 4,000 will arrive in Camden. This force will at least contain the breach and block movement inland. I'm hoping by being out of line-of-sight he will detach men to the forts or surrounding cities weakening his position because unless he secures those forts he can't supply that huge army and they will quickly lose supply. The Union Navy high tailed it away making me think that more Union boys will arrive in 2 or 3 turns. I hope to attack next turn after he takes a the 10 NM hit.

Reinforcements: x1 SC militia

Replacements/Politics:
x2 Inf, x3 field art

Overview:
Well at least I know where he landed. I wish the forts would block supply cause then he would have to attack them or starve. I'm feeling very confident in the far west. It looks like he is building in Dallas for a move into TX. I already have the forces needed to counter this and am not worried. A strike into Springfield is still open right before winter now that I have a wagon in Fayetteville. Sibley should prove useful in taking some unguarded depots and further delaying the western advance. In the East I am not very happy with how stretched my forces are becoming. I will feel better once the Manassas event is over. On the coast I am very hopeful. He shouldn't be able to tell how many men I have down there. Let alone that I outnumber him. A smashing victory here will go a long way to winning this game. When KY goes active I'll have my forces ready to slow the Union advance and hopefully stabilize it until I can get respectable forces into the area.

rattler01
Captain

Turn 13

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:39 am

Eastern:
Very unexciting here which I think is good. A lot of reorganizing going on. I'm moving 14 cav and 3 cav art elements to Stafford to form a div under Bushrod and guard against a strike that way. I continue to siege Fort Monroe, General Bonham's 1,770 men will add to the force. In northern VA the USA have a cav in Stafford, maybe a scout group? I decide to reinforce Fredericksburg to 11,000 men which leaves about 21,000 in Manassas. The only reason I continue to stay there is because of Longstreet up in H. Ferry. I like the front being close to D.C., but this leaves Richmond exposed and it is a longer front from Fredericksburg up to H. Ferry.

West:
Only change here is to have Polk take command at Nashville and Hindman at Fort Henry. Also my river fleet pushed back an Ironclad last turn outside Cairo, no losses. On the other side of the Mississippi Grant takes Charleston MO. I'm withdrawing some gunboats to block a river crossing into TN. This place is feeling like the calm before the storm. Should KY still be neutral next week I will invade it. I do this because KY only has a 50.3% to secede. No matter the out come I will not be able to take and hold Louisville or Lexington because of Union numbers and the river fleet he can assemble. By invading I can keep the Union out for 1 more turn and attack/dig-in at Bowling Green and Paducah. With the USA landing at Charleston, I'm RR about 4,700 Inf from the gulf coast up to TN.

Far West:

I take to the offensive this turn before winter hits. McCulloch will advance with 8,050 men to strike Springfield, luckily there is no mud yet. Sibley can't take towns so he will return south to KS and keep he union from getting behind my left flank. Van Dorn and Indian allies will attack outside Tucson with 2,700 men. Allowing an easy advance 1,350 inf into the city next turn. Completely bypassing Sumner at Dallas

Coast:
It is time to liberate Charleston. Bragg slightly outnumbers the combined Union forces and outnumbers Keyes 10 to 1. Hamilton hit Fort Johnson last turn overwhelming the defenders. I believe he will send a majority of his men to keep overwhelming those forts. I will strike him for his mistake.

Reinforcements:

Replacements/Politics:
x40 RR
x2 Inf

Overview:
While the East stands still. I go on the offensive out west and on the coast. This is what I've been waiting for in my positioning. Winter is right around the corner and with divisions my generals will show their true mettle. I stand at 116 NM the USA only 80. I hope for this to be a factor on my 2 attacks. I have a 258 VP point lead with a increase of 10 a turn. If I can take Charleston and Springfield this will increase it greatly. One thing I am feeling is lack of inf replacements. With Historical attrition I need to get keep some there.

rattler01
Captain

Turn 14

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:50 am

Eastern:
After doing my screen shot of the East I'm actually very worried about Longstreet's men. While the Union may not attack I'm going to go ahead and blow the H. Ferry depot and put him to retreat if engaged. It's conservative, but I've made up my mind. On a positive note Bonham's men have made 2 breaches in fort Monroe and will assault the walls this turn.

West:
KY is active, but Grant has taken Memphis. In a bold move my opponent has used Grant to go down the Mississippi's west side and now holds Memphis. This was an unexpected move and I believe a unwise one. With Grant now very disorganized from marching in the swamp and crossing a river into combat. I am RR Hardee's men to destroy Grant before he can move or blow that depot. Island 10 landed 57 hits on the Union Ironclads doing heavy damage and now they are cut off south of it. Over in KY the AoT will advance and occupy Bowling Green giving me a foothold in KY. I will not advance to fast as I know a larger Union force waits in New Albany.

Far West:

McCulloch takes Springfield however Asboth has gone missing in KS. After looking closely to ZoC in KS it appears a USA force is heading south.

Coast:
The South boosts cheers at the liberation of Charleston. And pushes the Yankees to Fort Johnson. To top it off my Fort Sumter boys repulsed Hooker who was 10 times their number. However, general Keyes with his 2,000 men managed to advance to Beaufort and is continuing onto Savannah. Along with about 10,000 more Yankees off the coast line. To reacted to this I am leaving Magruder with 9,845 men to keep Hamiton's 13,000 out of Charleston. And RR Bragg with 15,500 men to arrive at Savannah on day 4. It should take him 5 days to disembark. If he does he will find a larger, organized, and entrench force awaiting him.

Reinforcements:

Replacements/Politics:
x7 Inf, x1 light Inf, x3 field art

Overview:
I stand at 119 NM the USA only 78. With the capture of Charleston and Springfield and their battles I have recaptured the initiative in those regions. And with the preemptive strike into KY I hope to gain it there also. If he lands in Savannah I believe he will suffer a major defeat that will close that front with his forces destruction allowing me to send those 20,000 men else where. And maybe advance into some northern states.

rattler01
Captain

Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:54 am

Well it appears this game is over. However, I have 3 more rounds to post that I need to just finish up.

rattler01
Captain

Turn 15

Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:56 pm

Eastern:
After doing my screen shot of the East I'm actually very worried about Longstreet's men. While the Union may not attack I'm going to go ahead and blow the H. Ferry depot and put him to retreat if engaged. It's conservative, but I've made up my mind. On a positive note Bonham's men have made 2 breaches in fort Monroe and will assault the walls this turn.

West:
KY is active, but Grant has taken Memphis. In a bold move my opponent has used Grant to go down the Mississippi's west side and now holds Memphis. This was an unexpected move and I believe a unwise one. With Grant now very disorganized from marching in the swamp and crossing a river into combat. I am RR Hardee's men to destroy Grant before he can move or blow that depot. Island 10 landed 57 hits on the Union Ironclads doing heavy damage and now they are cut off south of it. Over in KY the AoT will advance and occupy Bowling Green giving me a foothold in KY. I will not advance to fast as I know a larger Union force waits in New Albany.

Far West:

Asboth beat McCulloch to Fayetteville and now holds the city. However, with his units being made in KS I know that there are a lot of militia, which take a large org drop being out of their home state. That along with his 2 turns of marching and only 1 general means his has to be hurting. So I will order McCulloch to repulse him before he can dig in. If I should succeed, his men will never make it out and will starve in the winter, destroying another union force in out west. If I fail I will withdraw to Fort Smith. Either way I have Asboth cut off from the Union forces. Van Dorn is being sent East to TN to give some cav bonus in that theater. I'm also looking for a new 1 star to take over Floyd's men.

Coast:
My movements turned to be exactly correct! Over 13,000 Yankees died on the beaches of Savannah with the loss of only 2,000 CSA. Also the 3 days of battle awarded me 11 NM and cost him the same. Now I turn to crush all the remaining Yankees before they can dig in or can evacuate. My victories have left my forces disorganized, but I will push none the less. Keyes's men must be on the verge with having marched through a swamp for 20 days crossed a major river twice, lost a battle, and are sitting in a swamp. So I will send Bragg to try and bring him to battle and continue to Charleston. He has the best forces and I really need him to be promoted so I can stop taking VP hits by making others 2 stars.

Replacements/Politics:
x7 Inf, x1 light Inf, x3 field art

Ace

Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:06 am

Brilliant tactics, Im impressed

Mickey3D

Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:18 pm

Is the AAR over ? :crying:

Yee Haa
Private

Sat Oct 09, 2010 7:32 pm

Great AAR, I bet they are lot of work? Coupla things - in posts 6/7/8 you mention a naval force variously refered to as The Richmond Navy, The Richmond Fleet and The Va Fleet - pls what are these, did you build them? What happened to them once they got out to the Atlantic? Could you elaborate please Rattler.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”