fusileer2002
Sergeant

Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:59 am

Nothing to report just yet...my opponent hasnt been at home to play :siffle: He often works away for days at a time so there hasnt been any new action since the last update. But when he is back we often get several turns in pretty quickly, which is why some of my reports are a bit rushed ;)

I reckon we'll get the next turn in later this week, so stay tuned!

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:50 pm

And here it is! It didnt go as planned for me though.

Early December

Beauregard repulsed outside Washington! Federals find their resolve!

My bold advance across the river into Maryland me stiff resistance, and not wanting to risk a bloodbath in the cold icy waters of the Potomac, Beauregard wisely withdrew when his probing attacks could find no weakness. It seems the disgraced McDowell has atleast partially redeemed himself.

Longstreet presses the Federal Forces in Virginia!

A small fight, but now the rails between Manassass and Winchester are clear and once repaired will be very useful for shuttling my forces around to meet any Union advances.

So here we are, any chance of an easy victory is probably now gone. Winter has hit hard everywhere and some of my forces are out of position. Hopefully most can manage a couple of weeks of bad weather.

Davis Calls for Volunteers!

With the war going our way, patriots are sure to flock to the colours. I've gone a big recruitment drive to fill the ranks of half-formed divisions across the nation. Tenessee and Virginia are the main contributors. Alas, we'll also have to levy a heavy tax to support the war effort.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:18 am

Late December '61

Well the big risk didnt pay off, but neither did it leave me crippled. It was worth the losses to have a stab at Washington and if nothing else will hopefully force my opponent to keep it defended - which means less blue-coats somewhere else. Beauregard made it safely back across the Potomoc into Virginia and is now entrenching around Alexandria with 3 divisions. Heres the general situation in the state:

Winter is biting hard, but Longstreet and his command must take the rails and drive the Yankees away from the Strasburg depot in the Valley. I cant see him being repulsed, and the Yanks will be very hard pressed for supplies if they dont get the depot first.

Heres how Kentucky is shaping up:

Most of the state is in my hands apart from Louisville, but as you can see I'm working on that. My cavalry regiment (poor souls, out there in this weather!) is keeping an eye on the city and performing screening duties for the Army of the Tenessee. As soon as reinforcements arrive, A.S. Johnston will be heading up the rails to take the town. It appears that local citzenry are quite appreciative of my presence here, as a whole divisions worth of Kentuckians have mustered in the towns!

And here is Missouri

The roads have cleared just enough for Price and Van Dorn to be able to make it back to Springfield in a couple of weeks. Winter is hell out here! I almost feel sorry for those Union soldiers north of Charleston, shivering in their tents, while we enjoy the hospitality of the town. Almost... ;) I think operations out here will certainly be on hold until the Spring. My raiders managed to sever all the rails leading to Jefferson City, so Lyons is going to have one hell of a miserable winter there with, I expect, what few supplies make it up the river to him from St Louis. I'll have 2 divisions, plus a depot guard in Springfield soon, enough for a good offensive when the weather clears.

Elsewhere in the South...

The depot in Arizona is filling up nicely with supplies, ready for the Spring offensive into California. I just wonder how few men I can get away and still be successful there, I dont want to have a lot of man power wasted so far out West as it will take a long time to get them back into the main theatres.

I havent built up much of an internal or coastal defence force yet. I dont know whart sort of plans my opponent has for any coastal operations. I have about 5 or 6 regiments of militia and some guns at New Orleans, a small battery and infantry regiment watching Fort Pickens, but other than those just the basic city garrisons. I should start building a divisions that could rapidly respond, even if its only full of militia to start with.

Reinforcements

A whole division in Kentucky.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:36 pm

Early January, 1862

As the new year came and went both sides paused for breath, readying their forces for the clash ahead. Any chance of the war being over quickly was now gone. Conscription laws on both sides were funnelling men into the war machine. Morale in the South was high after six months of victories over the Nothern foe. So confident were the generals that nowhere was there talk of defence - the coming season would see the Confederates on the offensive in an effort to secure their freedom.

Looking back over the first part of the war I have plenty of reasons to be happy. Its gone well for me and both the National Morale and Combat losses agree. On the territory side of things I have held my own in Virginia very well indeed. Although Kentucky went against me I have gained control of most of the state and have plans for Louisville. Missouri is looking promising and I will be on the attack there when the weather clears. The Deep South is clear of Federals apart from Fort Pickens. Not much happened last turn, but heres a couple of screens:

Longstreet secured the Strasburg depot as expected. Mansfield has not yet made it out of the region in his retreat through the snow, so Longstreet might be able to catch him again but wont be pursuing - the weather will hopefully do my job for me. Some Union cavalry have cut the rails south of Manassass. Not too vital right now as I have two depots to supply me but I'll despatch some cavalry to hunt them and some more to repair the lines. Only other news this turn was the Trent Affair:

Now this turn I've finally decided to print some money. I need the cash badly to invest in the railways and water transport, but mainly the rails. I'm going to need it in the months ahead to keep me supplied and also shuttle my forces where theyre needed. I've also realised I'd forgotten of my gameplans - the cavalry! I've recruited a few new regiments in the West and some horse guns to form the basis of the Army of the Tennessee's cavalry division. I've also had to buy a lot of replacements this turn to refill the ranks that have been thinned by combat and the bad weather.

Plans for the coming season

Heres my ideas for the year ahead *note - they will NOT be wrapped around a couple of cigars and NOT thrown into any camp fires :) *

In the East the first job will be to push the Federals out of Harpers Ferry. Assuming success here, a division and some cavalry will be sent from there into West Virginia to destroy its capacity to suppport the Union war effort - every depot and railroad in the state will be scorched followed by the rails east to Harpers Ferry as the force makes it exit. I dont believe I could hold the area anyway and if the route East is cut my only retreat would be through mountains. Its just not an area I fancy holding onto. Fort Monroe is also on my list of objectives for the year. If everything is looking secure I'll borrow a couple of divisions from northern Virginia to take the place

In Kentucky I'll grab Louisville as soon as possible. Its another state I find hard to defend as it has so many possible invasion routes and I never have enough men to cover them all, but holding it as long as possible wil be my goal. Atleast that way it may help keep the pressure off Tennessee. I'll have tp keep my eye on West Tennessee as thats my weakest point at the moment. Hopefully Trouvere will be too focused on my armies to notice though.

Missouri is going to be interesting! Although i'm getting a decent force out there it never seems to be enough. Van dorn will form two columns. One will strike for the depot constructed west of Springfield. Once taken, the column will swing north and take Lexington. The second column will be the stronger one and will strike north for Jefferson. Assuming all this is successful I'll then have to turn my attention to St Louis and I'm sure there'll be a large army in the way by then - but we'll see how that goes. If nothing else I'll just blow all the depots and retreat back to Springfield.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:22 pm

Late January '62

With snow covering most of the continent (even parts of Florida are covered) both armies appear to have decided to sit out the weather. No signs of enemy movement anywhere. Throughout the South however troops are being ferried to the front via the much improved rail network. With most of the last draft now formed into new brigades and divisions for the coming campaign season I dont have a whole lot of new recruits left in the muster fields, so this turn I'll content myself with ordering 4 new batteries of Columbiad artiller to be built in Virginia.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:54 pm

Early February '62

Union Blockade angers British!

Papers brought from Europe on blockade runners report further outrage in Britain as the North reinforces her naval blockade of Southern ports. I get +12 points towards foreign intervention bringing it up to 42. As I have a bit of spare money I think this will be a good time to push home how much Europe needs the South by declaring a continuation of the cotton embargo.

Another quiet fortnight. The frontlines and general deployments havent altered since winter hit hard in December. Now the snow is beginning to melt in the East a little. The Union forces are concentrated in Harpers Ferry and Washington. Quite a sizeable force in Washington under McDowell actually but I'm not too worried about him at this moment. My first target will be Harpers Ferry, though it wont be for a while yet - Both Longstreets and Jacksons forces (hopefully soon to be corps) are still forming up in Winchester.

Reinforcements

2 brigades of 2inf/1cav to reinforce the divisions holding Island 10 and Fort Donelson.
1 supply unit in Texas to assist McCullochs advance to California. (Its a long walk!)
Attachments
Virginia.jpg

acme
Corporal

Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:16 pm

great aar so far!

im nub to this game, but dont u think that stationing 1-1 div to the forts is luxury? or can they block union river fleet movement? can u pull out the guns from the fort to the country along with the division?

thx

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:31 pm

It is a bit of a luxury yes, but I'm not sure where my opponent will go. The divisions are not full strength ones and not inside the forts so should be able to escape if necessary. He'll either have to assault them and take heavy losses or go around them and either suits me. I'll be able to pull the divisions away quickly if needed. Actually i've just had a thought - I think i may station a spare militia and light artillery in stack too so if I do pull the divisions away I can leave those two units there to maintain the entrenchment levels. I guess thats something that could be handy in many other places too when playing a mobile defence.

If he chooses to go around my forts that suits me fine. I'll be able to try out my "retreat to draw him in then cut off his supply route" plan as he wont be able to use the rivers for supply. Thats if he chooses to attack. He may well just focus on my armies in Missouri and Kentucky instead. In which case the Donelson force can be railed to Kentucky in an emergency. Lots of options and I'm really looking forward to the campaign season :thumbsup:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:10 pm

Pipe dreams often blow up ... . :p apy:

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:58 pm

Late February '62

European economies in tatters! Support for the South grows!

News has reached us that our cotton embargo is having the desired effect as merchants across Europe start feeling the pinch and put pressure on their governments to intervene and open up trade with the South. Will Great Britain soon be sending her navy to clear the seas of the Union blockade ships? Surely they must recognise soon our rightful cause.

I got +19 on my embargo roll taking the total to +61 now.

The Confederate Territory of Arizona is Formed!

Handily a static militia unit arrives to help guard the depot in time for McCullochs expedition to depart for California. Not just yet though, the weather is still rough and more supply wagons are enroute from Texas first.

The weather is now starting to clear in places and my forces are swinging into action. I have several plans on the go; some offensive, some defensive, but mostly about cutting off possible invasion routes. Theres a lot of Yanks hiding somewhere and I want to shut down their possible routes into my territory.

Virginia

As mentioned before my first objective is to throw them out of Harpers Ferry so I can sit on a defensive line behind a river (and have access to West Virginia - but thats secondary). Beauregard is railing over to Winchester where he'll meet Jackson and Longstreet. Between them they will have 5 divisions with which to take Harpers with next turn, assuming the weather is good. Gordon will hold Alexandria with 2 entrenched divisions and there is a further division forming at Manassass, though it lacks cannon.

Now down onto the James river and Fort Monroe. I think it may be here that my opponent will attempt to land an army. I havent seen what or where his fleets are and as they arent in the blockade boxes he may well be planning a landing. So I'm going to take Fort Monroe while its breached before he gets there! This turn will be spent gathering forces there. Magruder is already there and will be joined by Taliaferro and the division of militiamen and cannon guarding Richmond plus the Texas brigade which has just formed at Petersburg. It should be enough to storm a breeched fortress I hope.

Kentucky

Here we are on the attack! The Army of the Tennessee is railing up to Louisville and will assault the town. I know its bad weather but I'm planning on that fact keeping the Union from sending any reinforcements there. I have 2 full divisions under Bragg and Hardee and am confident of victory. However just in case I've ordered a limited attack, my intelligence on enemy numbers may be incorrect. Forest is forming his cavalry division just inside Kentucky there and will soon be raiding and scouting.

The Mississippi

I do not like the position Johnston is currently in. His force is not very large, he has a river to his back and although he repulsed three union forces if they come back combined into one large properly led force he will be in trouble. Also Grant is just over the river there in Cairo - and although the temptation to cross over and besiege him is huge, I just dont know what else is lurking over there. And I'd still have my back to a river. I'm staying put this turn due to the weather but am considering the above marked movement (in green) to form a defensive line (in red) protecting the area. Atleast here i would be free to withdraw and safely concentrate if required. I'm also concerned that at some point the Union river fleets will emerge into play and i dont want one of them between Johnston and Kentucky. My own fleet will be heading up river in the future too.

Missouri

And here is the most dynamic part of my Spring offensive. I must say the weather is much better than expected and its even dry! Van Dorn will swing wide to capture and destroy the Union depot before marching on Lexington. Polk with Hokes division will manouver towards Jefferson City. My cavalry and partisans are moving out to scout and make a general nuisance of themselves.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:28 pm

Early March '62

War in the West - Stalemate in Kentucky

My spring offensive has got off to a rather lacklustre start, despite the overall situation being in my favour. A.S. Johnston was repulsed at Louisville, though it was entirely down to my orders to behave cautiously.

If I'd have been bolder I would have carried the city. Although the losses are clearly in my favour and he can go in again next turn and finish the job, I lost 2 NM from the defeat. I gained that and more from the losses inflicted though so not a problem. A lesson learned - caution sometimes avoids a defeat, but it can also avoid a victory.

Victory for Van Dorn in Missouri, though the losses were not in my favour. Once again Sumner has proved an able adversary.

Now the weather has turned nasty again in Missouri. Van Dorn is now going to hold the catured depot for a turn as it will help with supply and shelter, instead of blowing it and going for Lexington. The downside is that Sumner will probably retreat to Lexington and reinforce the garrison there. Bit of a shame really perhaps I was too eager to get going - If I'd waited and got a run of good weather I could have follwed up the victory and pursued him all the way.

Polk is out in the snow but cavalry reports indicate Jefferson is only lightly held. An attack is in order I think.

Virginia is still frozen over so all thats going on there this turn is a little reorganisation.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:20 pm

Late March '62

A.S. Jonhston siezes Louisville in superb counter-attack!

Johnston successfully rallied his army, who were more confused than beaten in any case, and launched his two divisions against the number one city in Kentucky. So forceful was his assault that the Federal garrison was devastated and the survivors forced to surrender.

And now the risky bit! With the Army of the Tennessee still in assault posture I was worried that a large relief force might show up and I'd be forced to attack. This did indeed happen but fortunately the relief column was both small and late, and I caught them good and proper.

Polk Captures Jefferson City, Missouri

In a much less spectacular encounter than the events in Kentucky, Polk successfully took posession of the city. Supplies however are running low, though he has two depots to draw upon now. The Missouri weather is not helping though, so I'm guessing he'll be stuck there for a while.

More screens to come

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:53 pm

Virginia

Still too cold to move so a little more moving of troops and leaders around. Forney is now in position with 2 divisions to assault a breeched Fort Monroe but he is dragging his heels and remains inactive.

Kentucky

Now comes the task of securing the state. Bragg and Hardee both earned promotions after the last battle of Louisville and so will become corp commanders. Forest will use his cavalry force to start asserting military control in the area.

Missouri

Ok so far but I'm a little concerned about how I'm going to concentrate a force an attempt on St Louis and still hold onto my gains. Some militia popped outside of Lexington.

Other News from around the South

The French have intervened in Mexico. The nation sees this as a good thing, boosting morale and increasing my FI chance up into the 70's.

Reinforcements: Mostly replacements for the winter casualties but also 4 batteries of cannon for the Army of the Mississippi.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:40 pm

Early April '62

Mostly quiet this month apart from one Union attempt in West Kentucky. Grant tried to force a crossing at Paducah where Smiths corp was entrenched. Smiths force managed to repulse Grant but it was a close run thing. J Johnston has decided to recross the river and come closer where he can more easily support Smith. I could do with another division in this area, or I could pull some forces from the two forts.

In Missouri the newly arrived Lexington militia captured 2 artillery batteries! Hurrah! However the celebrations were shortlived as a couple of days later Sumner arrived and promptly destroyed the militia and took his guns back. Now thats a shame because Van Dorn is on his way to attack Lexington this turn and now has 2 more batteries of cannon facing him. Price is also moving to Jefferson as Springfield doesnt appear to be under any threat, but to be safe the depot guard from Fayetteville, Arkansas is moving to take his place.

In Kentucky, Bragg is taking his newly formed corp to destroy Camp Dick Robinson, just to the south of Lexington. Elsewhere the cavalry is out in force scouting and asserting control over the area.

Virginia - snows gone but in its place is mud! So another wait and see round apart from Fort Monroe where Forney has eventually pulled his socks up and ordered assault.

Reinforcements - 4 more batteries, this time for Zollicoffers division sitting in Charlottesville.

Sorry for the rushed reports today, we have a lot of turns taking place :)

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:33 pm

Late April '62

Fort Monroe falls as relief forces appears off coast!

Forney assaulted not a moment too soon!

Looks like I got in just in time there! Now the weather and ground have improved nicely and its time to turn my attention to Longstreet and Jackson. the whole army under Beauregard is marching on Harpers Ferry. Its going to be a bit of a bloody affair as they are well entrenched but I'm confident my boys will carry the day.

In Western Kentucky Grant found an unguarded crossing and made it safely across. I wonder where he'll move next? Perhaps the fort? Hes welcome to try! If he wants to try his luck against Johnston thats fine too, as I'm dug in a little and hopefully have support from Smiths corps. I think he'll actually realise hes got across but is unsure where to go next as i dont think his force is strong enough - but this is Grant and I know hes very capable of pulling off an unlikely victory. In any case my river fleet is moving i behind to cut off an easy retreat.

In Missouri Van Dorn has got Sumner finally bottled up in Lexington. I just hope I can remain in supply long enough to create a breech. i doubt he'll surrender, sitting atop a depot full of supplies. However an attempt on St Louis looks unlikely this year as McClellan is there with a large force. I'll have to play it careful here.

acme
Corporal

Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:14 am

glad, so many turns reported.

how comes that u have so high money and WS income?

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:34 am

Its not that I have a particularly high income, its just I dont have much to spend on! I'm always hard up for recruits therefore dont spend a lot of WS and $ recruiting. As youve seen for the past few turns my recruitment has been mainly artillery due to the lack of manpower but availability of WS. I will be calling volunteers shortly. I would have done sooner if I thought it was needed but I feel I'm managing quite well.

Now a new day and a new plan. As I've been waiting for Trouvere's orders to finish the turn I've had chance to rethink my plan of attack on Harpers Ferry. A frontal bludgeoning assault, while probably enough to win, is not going to really gain me a lot for what it could end up costing me. I'm going to take another look at the area and see if I cant pull off some sort of encirclement with Jackson. The idea will be to either force him to pull out of Harpers, handing it to me on a plate for no significant losses, or to trap the entire force there and take them all prisoner. It may have the effect of forcing him to attack me which will do just as nicely. Those entrenchments have made me think twice...

I'll post screens of the planned movement if I decide to make it.

Edit: Forgot to mention I also have two decent fleets of blockade runners helping out on the WS and $$ front. I havent done any industrialisation that I can remember (but would have liked to).

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:14 pm

Heres my plan.

Jackson is going to force-march his corps west around Harpers Ferry, then to the north. Going ahead of him is JEB Stuart with the Laurel brigade, scouting ahead and taking up position the northeast of Harpers where the broken rail line is. This will be Jacksons final destination in the following turn but I want to leave it open just now to give the Union an avenue of escape (thus leaving me with Harpers for free). If he doesnt take this chance then he'll be cut off the following turn. Behind Jackson are several cavalry units all working to secure military control of the areas behind his line of march.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:28 pm

Early May '62

Mostly gone to plan! There was a very small skirmish between my cavalry and some reinforcements heading to Harpers Ferry but nothing to really get in the way. Jackson completed his march unopposed and is in position.

The fly in my ointment however is that force led by Berry approaching the Strasburg depot. I hadnt planned on that. Still, I can afford to ignore that if everything else goes to plan.

Kentucky

Grant has stationed himself on my turf now and looks to be awaiting reinforcements.

Well hes going to get the mobile defence treatment! I'm railing in Hardees Corp (minus 1 division) and Walkers division from Nashville to form a corp under Johnston and ttack grant. My gunboats and cavalry will manouver to make his retreat as difficult as possible. I just hope he stays still. My own forces arent especially strong and I will rely on marching to the sound of the guns to repulse him should he attack.

Missouri

Polk is on the offensive. The supply depot at Rolla will supply my armies if I make a move on St Louis. Van Dorn remains besieging Lexington.

News from the South

McCullochs Californian adventure is further delayed due to the roads (if indeed they can be alled roads) in Arizona being quagmires. I'm beginning to wonder if the expedition will ever get under way.

Stand Watie takes his Indian braves on a raid into Kansas.

The government has declared that more volunteers are needed to finish off the much beaten Union. Very high bounties will be paid to each and every new recruit. To pay for this, War Bonds wil be offered and a one-time tax will be raised.

Reinforcements: A few cavalry regiments, some supply units and a full division in Mississippi.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:59 pm

Late May '62

Jackson intercepts Harpers Ferry reinforcements!

My opponents run of bad luck with Jackson (him being everywhere just at the right time, or wrong time depending on your point of view) continues.

Polk takes Rolla! Troops gorge on Yankee supplies!

A pretty minor skirmish by any standard these days, but a good result.

As one door closes, another one opens..

Trouvere has made an unexpected move. He must have railed McDowell round the houses to try and attack Jackson from the north. I wonder how it would have gone if I'd stayed put? I'm certain Jackson would have been able to beat McDowell but Kearney's corps in Harpers may have marched to his assistance. I must say its thrown my original plan off track. Maybe I'm too cautious, but i dont want Jackson stuck there where other corps cant support him in a scrap. I'm not going to risk throwing everything at Harpers Ferry either as I could end up going in piecemeal AND McDowells corps could support Kearney. So...Jackson going to Washington! It wont be an all-out assault but with McDowell hopefully blundering around behind him and Gordon to support from Alexandria, I have a chance of success here.

Its not what I had planned and I'm not banking on success but if nothing else it will force Trouvere to keep a big chunk of manpower stationed in his capital.

Scene: Shiloh, Take: 2

Quite amusingly, we seem to have set ourselves up for re-enactment of the battle of Shiloh! Grant is in almost the same position at almost the same time of the war! Although its not A.S. Johnston but J. Jonhston in charge of my army, some of the same leaders are present - Hardee and Breckinridge to name but two. Grant is in a tough spot here with his back to the river, which is patrolled by my entire river fleet and Confederate forces all around him.

And finally Missouri:

acme
Corporal

Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:01 pm

but ususally csa has 50 ws income, now u have 87. i just dont get it. same with money.
maybee the high NM causes this?
btw ur doing good, but ur opponent is quite nubish.
anyway im glad to see csa on offensive.!

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:37 pm

It must be from controlling more areas? Perhaps the NM has an effect too. I've also read about FI giving secret subsides but have no idea what or how it works. My opponent has been on the back foot since losing his first army very early on but he is recovering now. In fact some of those forces scare me mightily :)

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sat Dec 19, 2009 8:54 pm

Early June '62

Grant engaged by Hardee

Although it is claimed a victory, it is more of a stalemate. Grant survives but is still in the area.

Jackson drives back Fremont! Federal Capital under siege!

In a close and bloody encounter Jackson manages to force Fremonts army away from the capital! Now its going to be a race to see who, as Bedford Forest says, can "get there fastest with the mostest". I hope my cavalry rail cutting exploits have done enough.

McClellan moves! 20,000 Federal Troops threaten J. Johnston!

McClellan has attacked and easily pushed back my small cavalry brigade watching the river at Charleston, Missouri. I now need to hurredly eject Grant from the area before I have two strong Federal forces coming at me from either side.

Lee Takes Command

Finally freed from administrative duties in Richmond, General Lee heads into the field to lend his expertise to the Souths armies.

Well what a turn that was! Jacksons success in Washington was as much as could be hoped for. Now i'm going to rush Gordons corps to join him and the rest of Beauregards army will abandon the Valley, burn the depot and head east. Manassass must not fall as it is my supply hub, but otherwise all strength must be forwarded to the siege of Washington to repel the Federal attacks that must surely come.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:05 pm

Its just occured to me that I've been referring to Edward Johnson as Gordon :mdr: Must be going senile - rather than edit everything please accept this apology. And pass me my medication.

pesec
Corporal

Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:21 am

Funny thing: why was Grant in Offensive posture at Shiloh?

You took quite a bit more ranged causalties, indicating that you were attacking (and more than made up for them with cold steel :D ), but posture for both armies is shown as offensive. I though that Grant would stay on defensive, if for no reason other than re-gaining cohesion faster. Maybe he was trying to increase Military Control in the area.

And by the way, what is enemy morale now. Must be pretty low considering that yours got sky-high from all those victories. Most likely, he is facing decision of either accepting morale loss due to moving capital or facing instant defeat if Washington falls while still being a Capital. Although I am sure you will eventually make it to New yourk if the capital does move :dada:

I guess lesson of this (and Bannks and Soundoff) AAR is: do not lose a large chunk of your army at the very beginning of the game.

P.S. if Grant's army is destroyed, he will likely lose a lot of seniority. Does that mean that he will likely not be able to ever command an army in this game?

P.P.S. How well is St. Louis defended right now? If McClellan took a lot of forces with him, must not be too well... Also, what are the ofd of Lil' Mac being active given his strategic rating?

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:02 am

I have the next turns report ready to write which should answer a few questions, especially about Grant and St Louis. I'm not counting my chickens at Washington yet either as there is one move that if successful would force me to abort the siege. I'll get on with the report...

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:44 pm

Late June '62

2nd Battle of Graves, Kentucky! Grant mauled again!

Beaten again but still not destroyed! My Generals in the west certainly lack the killer instinct that some of my eastern generals have.

And now my best chance to utterly destroy Grant has passed as McClellan has made it over the river and is placed to support - or at the very least provide an escape route for - Grant. More fighting planned for this turn but now the outcome is not so certain.

Polk repulsed at St Louis

Polk was turned back at St Louis by a smaller force that was well entrenched. Perhaps with Van Dorns division they could both storm the defences. I knew that splitting the forces up in the first place might lead to this situation but I didnt have a whole lot of choice. Still, plenty of time before winter comes back round so we may well get something out of this.

Bloodbath outside Washington!

The bloodiest day of the war to date. Jackson, Johnson and Forneys corp (thank heavens for MTSG) pull together to beat off a very determined attack from McDowell. My forces are exhausted but so must the Union be. I'm hoping they are too weakened to try another assault this turn.

General Lee takes command and renames the army "Army of Northern Virginia". This is a crucial time now for both sides. My corps outside of Washington need rest and supply. I'm too weak to try assaulting Washington. I must hold Manassass to ensure supplies flow and Alexandria to provide a safe line of retreat and support. Heres my position:

Lee takes up position in Alexandria with 2 divisions. From here he can support both Longstreet (1 division) who must hold Manassass AND his two corps outside Washington. I may need to get those fresh divisions over the Potomac sometime, but I'll have to be carefull with movements as I'm sure I'll be under relentless attack. I'm relying on MTSG to work for me and it may be my downfall, but we'll see. I'm worried what he'll do with Berry's corp-sized force at Harpers Ferry. If he brings it to Washington thats great, iot'll mean I can move my entire army over the Potomac. But if he goes for Manassass I'll have to remain strung out a bit like I am at the moment.

Ah, and the next turn has just arrived.

Beauregard, still in command of an army but with no troops currently under him, is heading towards Richmond to pick some troops up.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:49 pm

Forgot to add:

Union Morale - 76

Forerign Intervention - 79

And I'm continuing the cotton embargo this turn.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Early July '62

Political wrangling continues!

First, Trouvere calls a Union Blockade which goes slightly in my favour. Then I declare a Cotton Embargo which goes heavily against me. I think the net loss to FI was about -20.

Slaughter in the West

Grant is finally forced into a corner. In Missouri Van Dorn loses patience and orders an assault on Lexington. Despite the structure being breeched and outnumbering the defenders, he comes off worst.

Slaughter in the East

What looks like an attempt by the Washington garrison to break out is followed by another assault on my positions outside the city. Lee shows everyone how a corps organisation works by coming to support.

This is it. Its time to order an all-out assault on Washington and end this thing here and now. Enough lives have been lost. The south has proven its right for independence and the rest of the world recognises this, even if they have not yet publicly stated so. My only hope is that Lincoln will surrender before my boys, all 70,000 of them, need to spill any more blood going into Washington.

fusileer2002
Sergeant

Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:02 pm

Late July 1862

Victory!

Trouvere told me in the last turn not one of his commanders was active in the east and he knew that he wouldnt stand a chance of beating me in open battle with inactive penalties. It was a good game that ended sooner than I expected and I really enjoyed it, being my first pbem. It was losing that army right at the start that really won it for me, and that was by no means thanks to great planning on my part! I hadnt tried, or thought about trapping McDowell in the way that happened and it was purely lucky for me and perhaps a little rash from Trouvere.

We're going to start another ASAP and are still deciding the sides. Hope you enjoyed the report as much as I did writing it. Any comments please post away :)

Return to “American Civil War AARs”