Lieutenant

War for th Union-April 1861

Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:02 am

THE WAR for the UNION

Game ver. 11.3b, Qfix2,Kentuckey add-on

Scenario: April 1861 Two Theaters

Difficulty settings:
Media: Regrouping Armies
Game: FOG/on, Redeployment /player1-AI 3, Activation rule 2 large move/combat penalty, Random Gen./none, Foreign Entery/normal, Naval Boxes/Standard, Attrition/ Historical
AI: Active AI/on, AI Detect Bonus/ Med, Agressive/normal, Us all Behavior, AI more Time, Activation Bonus +1

First time I have played the AI at this level. To learn the game mechcanics I have used lower settings. I still consider myself a green recruit.So lets start and see whatour famous Athena gives me. I will be using to colors yellow high lite for my Short Term Objectives and Blue for my Long Term Objectives.

I. Short Term Objectves, early April to early June, 1861
A) build armies at Alexandria-Va, Harper's Ferry-Va, and Grafton-WVa
B) Reinforce Forts Monroe and Pickens
C) Garrison Western Theater, Ohio River- from Evansville to Ashland
1. Once garrisoned form Div.s', Evansville, Louiseville and Cincinnati
D) Garisson Trans-Miss Theater from Paducah, Cairo and St.Louis and all points west along Misouri River to Ft. Levenworth
1.Once garrisoned form Div.s', in Paducah, Cairo and St.Louis and Ft. Levenworth

II. Long term Objective early April to late September 1861

A) Easter Theater Primary and Secondary
1. Primary: Manassas, Winchester and targets of opportunity
2. Secondary: Hampton, Williamsburg

B) Western Theater Primary and Sceondary
1. Primary: Lextington and Bowling Green
2. Secondary: Clarksburg, Columbus

C) Trans-Mississippi Theater Primary and Secondary
1. Primary: Island 10, Fort Donalson, Jeferson City, Rolla, Springfield and Charleston
2. Secondary : Fayetteville , Fort Smith, Little Rock, Cherokee and Creek

Rather audatious plan. Too much you might ask lets start out with the short term objectives first.

From my short experience I will not call for volunteers, mobilize, tax, Print money or blockade until early May 61. Fot the month of April I will postion officers, increase, print money and rail-20 and river-10 each turn. Replacements early April will be 2 supply and 1 malitia, Late April Replacements that: 1 bring up the strengh of Harper's Ferry and those supplies will go to Fort Monroe and fill out Banks supply Train. You might ask why do I not call for volunteers, mobilize, tax, Print money or blockade until early May 61?

The main reason is to get more cash vs VP! Second reason , normally AI CSA will Tax, Mobilizeand print bonds that will givethe a temperary minus in VP. Once early May comes arround I will Tax, bonds, mobilizeand call for volunteers this should drop my VP 75, not far behind AI's VP at that time in late May. The Blokade call, I think it gamey to do so prior to the first agressive action CSA.

Now to execute

Injun
Lieutenant

Late April 1861

Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:18 am

War for the Union: April 1861 Scenario

Late April 1861

News Paper Headlines
Economic News from NY
1. Buffalo 9 amo and 2 WS
2. Peerskill 22 General suplpies
3. Aubern 9 amo
( I wonder now thatbuilding those 3 factories in new was worth the pay off. Liked to have seen WS up a little higher)
4. Merchant fleet arrives with 4 money and 26 WS
Political News
1. Lincoln 1st Inaugural Address
2. On Day 5 Sumter has fallen, the CSA payed for it in blood, CSA commited 1251men,16 horse and 8 light guns, loses suffered 180 men.Garrioson taken prisoner, no loses.
( the best stand I have seen yet!)
War has officallybroken out!!!
3. Lincoln orders a blockade
4. Pratt Street Riots( hate this one takes out that section of rail)
5. Sam Houston Fight Against Secession!( I have rarely seen this!)
War News
1. CSA orders; Grad. IncomTax, 6% War Bonds and Full Mobilization
2. Norfolk falls to CSA forces
3. Dallas falls to Union forces!
Military News
1. Carl Schuzs rasies German Troops in NY city.

Review: Nation:
Morale: USA-93 CSA-98, Foreign help 2, Loses USA-0 CSA-180, VP- USA=92, USA=-16( hoped that this would be lower)
Politics: Insitute Blockade
Loyalty: Full liberties to all states, ( I should go to revock hadis corpus in Texas, Maybe next turn)
Economics: Remove Factories in NY, Rail 20, River 10
Financial: Nothing waiting till next turn. Start at 248 money, 67 men, 80 WS after Replacements 312 money, 43 men, 144 WS
Replacements: Elite Inf 1, Line Inf 2, Malitia 0, Cav 2, Field Art 2, Supply 2, Eng 1
Drafts: None available

Orders: All I can do now is move Generals, I can only deploy 1
1. Deploy Asboth to Cairo
2. Keys and Wallace by rail to Allegany Md. to join Patterson's Army
3. Hulburt to Boston by rail to form up Malitia Bdes for Fort Monroe
4. Shields Command containing: Neslon, Howe, Woods, and Humpherys by rail to Lawerance, Pa. To be assigned to Western and Trans Miss Theaters
5. Blenker toHarper's Ferry by rail to command Malitia
6. Hamiltons command to Alexandria,Va to join Army forming there in early May.Contains : Milroy, Morell, McCall, and Griffin
7. Shurzs and his Cav by rail to York, Pa
8. In Dallas Texas, 2nd Texas to Creeks, 1st Texas to remain in Dallas, Tx

Orders # 4 you are wondering why need to use them in future Western and Trans Miss Operations 1 to Ohio, 2 to Indiana, 1 to Kentucky and the last to St.Louis.

Execute Orders: Sorry No Maps this time

Injun
Lieutenant

Early May 1861

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:30 am

Early May 1861

Summary: This is a big turn for me in Money , Men , and WS! Good things come to He that waits.

I feel that I need to change my writing style because this ARR is rather dry.I am going to take a newsmen's approach. The ARR will be reported in what I will call,"The Union Times", a by weekly edition.

1st edition: The Union Times, date early May 1861

Front Page, War News: Creeks Captured By 2nd Texas Cavalry!

We have a report from the far west that two weeks ago, Col. Sam Houston in Dallas has ordered the 2nd Texas Cav. north to Indian Territory. After a 10day march the 2nd Texas Cav.stormed in the Greek Indian village capturing with no loses of life ( US VP 1). Reports Richmond are vage on thier reaction. A statement give by the CSA Secretary of War, Leroy P. Walker,
A loses of a small indian village in the former US Indian Territory has little of any consequence in this struggle of the,"2nd War of Independence". When further pressed for commints on the Situation in Dallas Texas and Sam Houston, he stated,"Right now Old Sam is just an anoyance and should have retired from politics years ago. The situation is now in the capable hands of the Governor of Texas and I have all the confidance he will soon rectify the embaresmant."( US VP for Dallas 1)

CSA Calls for Volunteers!
A report has reached this publication that the CSA Department of War has called for volunteers. The CSA Secretary of War, Leroy P. Walker, stated tha the call for volunteers has gone out to all CSA State Govenors by the request of President Jefferson Davis. He further stated that all good men of the Confederacy should answer to the call to colors toaid this infant nation in her hour of need.

(VP for Cities per turn USA 36 and CSA 50)

Casualty List Loses USA=0 and CSA= 180
As this conflict progress this publication will give you to date lists as the become available for the War and Naval Departments.

Victory
VP- USA 143 and CSA 33,
VP for Cities per turn USA 36 and CSA 50

NATIONAL Morale ( USA 94 and CSA 95 )
When the Secretary of the Interior, Caleb B. Smith was question on the state of national morale, He stated that it was running high. The nation of ours, backs the president even though some states in our glorious union do not it see it that way.When pressed he refered us to the Attorney Generals Office.

Brittain shows aproval of US blockade of CSA coast.
The Secreatary of State, Willaim H. Seward, and a member of Her majesty's embassy was seen at the White House shaking hands. When Mr. Seward was questioned he reported that there was improvement in diplomacy betwwen the US and Brittish government over US Bloakade Policy.
(Foreign Help= -10)

US Loyalties
From Sources in the Attorney General's Office reported a meeting took place between the Attorney General, Edward Bates, and President Lincoln over citizen rights. AG Bates advised the president to invock martial law in Tx (17%), and MO (52%). Also to revock Hatius Corpius in KS (75%) and MD(69%). The President sted that you don't throw the babies out with the bath water yet. Keep full liberties and let us wait and see. If the younguns need spankingwe will see to it in due time

Economics
A report from the Department of Interior states that the nation is at full rail capacity (233), riverine capacity at 2/3rds (64) and the nation is at full shipping capacity (121). The Secretary of the Interior was request more rail and riverine resources and was approved for small increases.( Rail=20 and River=10). Secretary Smith stated, he requested still even more capacity in rail, riverine and industry in the last by weekly Cabinet meeting. he was hotly contested by Secretary of the Treasury, Salmon P. Chase. He ( Seward) later stated that the Treasuer was being a tight wad in dealing with his department. Mr. Seward reported to our repoter," I proved that given the resources last month that my efforts would improve our our war capacity in New York state by at least 7%! at the cost of $74000 and 95 tons of WS. ( WS=+2, Money =+4, Amo=+18, GS=+22.).( NY=SW-815,AMO-284, money-43, WS-33.)

He further stated that our merchant shipping has brought a further $9000 and 20 tons of WS to our ports. I will in the future request in the Cabine tthat we further enhance our merchant shipping. Our WS are at 310,000 tons.

5% War Bonds being sold! and Exceptional Taxes Raised! Money Printed !
The Secreatary of the Treasury, Salmon P. Chase, has issued the following statement to the press:
Due tothe needs to put down the rebellion in our southern states it has become nessary to take server financial measures to meet that need. The needs of our army and navy need money to purchase the nesssary material to do its job. I know that ever citizen will understand the needs to raise these taxes and buy the bonds. These measures will increase our treasury war chest to $1,221,000(1221)

War Department: Call for Full mobilization! and Call for Volunteers/1000
The Secretary of War, Simon Cameron has issued the orders for full mobilization and a call for volunteers paying a $1000 bounty to sate governors. We expect to rasie 1,124,000 men!

Drafts- Call Volunteers/1000and Full mobilization Rasie 1124 men.

War Department Dispatches
Admiral James Palmer active in shipping lanes with 2 frigates and a brige.
Warships att Ft. Pickens and Keys active
USMC and Washington Bdes active
Generals Banks and Hooker activate

Request for Replacements:( reserve/request) Army HQ 0/1...Line Inf 2/2...Light Inf 0/2... Militia 1/0....Cav 2/2....Field Art 2/2... heavy art 0/0...Supply 2/2...Eng 1/0

Reinforcements:
Regulars: USMC-1...KS-1bde..., IA-2 Bde...MO-2 bde...IL-2bde...KY-2 bde... IN-2 bde
Irregulars: MO-1ss...WV-1ss...OH-1ss
Malitia: ME-6...IA-3...MO-3...IL-4...WI-4...IN-4...WV-2...MI-4...OH-4...MD-2
Cav: OH-1...MD-1...CT-2...NY-2
Artillery: KS-1/6...IA-2/12...MO-1/10,1/6...IL 2/12...IN-1HA...WV-1/6...MI-1HA...OH-2/12...CT-1HA
Support: MO-1SW
Riverine: MO-2GB&2RT
Ocean: 1blockade flotilla

Orders:
Hooker,Shurz w/t cav by rail to Harper's Ferry. Hooker to form div.with USMC and Washinton Bde. Shurz prepare for raides into northern Va.
Banks hold in Baltimoreandawait orders.
Howe deploy to Paducah
Shields procced by rail to Cincinati,OH
Woods procced by rail to Louisville, KY
Humpherys procced by rail to Evansville,IN
Nelson procced by rail to St. Louis, MO

Editor:
From reports that I have seen and troop movements and location troops rasied I can expext major offencives in the Western and Trans Mississippi Theaters. My cartographer will have maps of the action as soon as movement is reported in Confederate territory or the enemy takes any offensive action.
Injun aka Mud Marine
Aim low Boys and givem the baynet!
Steady Boys! Steady! Aim ,Fire! , Charge!

Injun
Lieutenant

Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:36 am

please forgive some of the mispelling, most are typosfrom my fat finger sydrome. Never learned to type, use two finger hunt and peck.
Injun aka Mud Marine

Comtedemeighan
Brigadier General

Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:38 am

Yay another new AAR :)
Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem - By the Sword We Seek Peace, But Peace Only Under Liberty
-Massachusetts state motto-

"The army is the true nobility of our country."
-Napoleon III-

Spharv2

Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:07 pm

Injun wrote:please forgive some of the mispelling, most are typosfrom my fat finger sydrome. Never learned to type, use two finger hunt and peck.

I think you're far from alone in that regard. :)
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:54 pm

Great start man!! I'll be watching this for sure :) .
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:31 pm

Go for it Injun. Nice to see another AAR. :thumbsup:

tagwyn
AGEod Guard of Honor

Injun's AAR v. Athena

Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:38 pm

I: Don't confuse our Noble Red Men with the GREEKS! t

Injun
Lieutenant

Late May 1861

Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:59 am

Late May 1861

Summary: This is a big turn for me in Money , Men , and WS! Good things come to He that waits.

2nd edition: The Union Times, date Late May 1861

2nd Texas take Cherokee Village!
Up date from the Indian Territory. After storming into Creek (not Greek) Village in late April, They further advanced and have taken the Cherokee village. Hurrah! For those loyal Texans!

Riots In Baltimore, MD! Gen. Banks Declare's Marial Law.
There was rioting in the streets of Baltimore MD and railroad property damaged by secessionist agitators. Gen. Banks Called out Federal troops to restore order and have rail property.
repaired. While investigating the cause of the riots, several Maryland Legistlaters where arrested and imprisoned. After garrisoning of Federal troops normalcy has returned and a new Maryland State Legislature has been formed and has officially rejected secesion.

St. Louis Armory Plot foiled!
Out west, secessionists plotted to take over the St. Louis Armory and loyal Union Missourians warned Captain Lyons of the state malitia. Cpt. Lyons ( now General) ordered out loyal malitia troops and arrested the plotters.While arresting said plotters, secessionist gunmen opened fire on Capt. Lyons and his troops and a gun battle broke out. Martial law was called and now Federal troops patrol the streets of St. Louis restoring order. This Plot and insuing gun battle is being called by secessionists, "The St. Louis Massascre!" Later when Gen. Lyons heared what southern news papers called the incident, He said," What massascre? Armed agitators fired on my loyal me while in the preformance of thier sworn duty to the state of Missouri. We just returned fire in our defence.

The Army of the North Shenandoah Valley Formed.
General Patterson has been given the command of the Army of the North Shenandoah in Allegany, MD. New general officers join his command, Keyes and Wallace.

Reel, MO. occupied by Rebel forces.
A small river harbor on the Mississippi River has been taken by Rebel forces. When Gen.Lyons was asked of this event he answered,"Little or no consequence."

Brittain unhappy with the the riots in US.
Brittish Ambassador Sir. Richard Lyons, 2nd Baron and Earl of Lyons, repoted,"Her Majesty's government looks on the policy of martial law with disfavor." (Foreign Help -8 was -10)
When asked about British involvement in our conflict, he state,"No Coment."

News from White House by weekly Cabinet meeting
From sources in the White House this transcript has been provided:
Cabinet:
President Abraham Lincoln
Secretary of State, William H. Seward
Secretary of the Treasury, Salmon P. Chase
Secretary of War, Simon Cameron
Attorney General, Edward Bates
Postmaster General, Montgomery Blair
Secretary of the Navy, Gideon Welles
Secretary of the Interior, Caleb B. Smith

General in Chief of the Army, Winfield Scot

President Abraham Lincoln : Gentleman lets get down to buisness. I see futher unrest in our Northern States, Can you fill me in on our stituation Attorney General Bates?

Attorney General Bates: Mr. President, The riots in Misssouri and Maryland and declaration of Martial law by Federal officers has greatly effected the states, Missouri, West Virginia, Maryland, Delware and New Jersy. This are our latests figures: MO=32% and MD=54%, this further effected WV=74%, Del=77%, NJ=80%. Texas and Kansas has not changed still stands at Tx=17% and KS=75%. Since we have now Generals in Kentucy we have assertained the loyality at 49%. I still advice martial law in, Tx, MD, and MO. All States have full liberties.

President Abraham Lincoln : We must maintain full liberties the results of revocking Hadius Corpus and Martial law are to harsh at this time. This has a negative effects in our drive for victory.(VP) It may have unknown negative conseqences in Seward's State Department and our foreign relations. Right Secretary Seward?

Secretary of State, William H. Seward : As you well know Mr. President we can not have Europeans become involved in our affairs. We all know the Rebles are even now approaching the Europeans to act in thier interests. We must not tip the scales in thier favor. ( Foreign Help -8 was -10)

President Abraham Lincoln : Mr Chase how stands the treasury?

Secretary of the Treasury, Salmon P. Chase : franticly looking through a stake of papers : Sir. I can only report I authorized the printing of more money and the inflation rate is at 5% and will rise to 9%. ( The figures I have forgotten to take note of before executing the early may turn.). If you recall sir, you signed off on the authorization. The need was for replacements and to raise and eqiup troops requested by the Department of War and transportaion for Interior.

President Abraham Lincoln : Simon ya have to get a hat like mine to keep those notes. Your forgiven but please have the before and after figures for the next meeting. Now Postmaster Blair, I need to use your offices to monitor the morale of the nation and that of our enemy. Just get a pool from all your post offices as people get thier mail. Can that be done for future meetings?

Postmaster General, Montgomery Blair: Yes Sir, I thought you might ask that so here are my findings, National Morale: US=86, CSA=96. We would have been at lest 4 points higher if not for the printing of money by the Treasury. I will now turn this meeting so that Interior may make his report.

Secretary of the Interior, Caleb B. Smith: Sir you have tasked me with our industrial, rail and Riverine and merchant fleet capacity. Also I have been keeping on the side some notes on goal of Victory(VP) and control of US and Reble cities. First Rail was increase slitly by 20 and River by 10. overall I have left those other notes in my office. I will have an update for our next meeting. I still want money and war suppies to do some industrialization and expand our merchant fleet (Transports). Here are those notes on our goal of victory:
VP: US=79, CSA=83
VP Cities: US=40, CSA=51
Merchant shipping has brought us $28,000 and 1000 tons of War Supplies.

President Abraham Lincoln : Now we need to hear from our Depatments of War and Navy.What say you gentleman.

Secretary of the Navy, Gideon Welles: Mr. President, I will go first becausce my report is some what shorter.

New England Fleet ported at Boston well be operational early June
New York Fleet, Adm. Farragut commanding and Newyork Sqd. ported at New York City, well be operational early June.
Adm.Dahligren and the cracker box, I mean the Iornclad USS Monitor under construction.
The Washington Sqd will be operational in Early June
The Chesapeak Sqd operational off Ft. Monroe.
Ft. Pickens Sqd operational off Ft. Pickens.
In Philidelphia, Pa., the 3rd Blockade flotilla being constructed.
By your order our blockade has started in the Atlantic Blockade Sqd, Adm. Palmer and his Atlantic Sqd on escort duty with merchant ships. The Gulf Blockade Sqd on station in the Gulf.
Our Riverine Commands have been transfered to those theaters where they are operational. This will be part of the War Departments report.
We. plan to build 3 more Ironclads in Philidelphia or New York City in the next 6 months. We are studying plans at this time to further blockade the Reble coast line. It is imparative that we raise more USMC Bdes for operations against Reble Coastal fortifications. Request that the USMC Bde with Gen. Hooker be transfered to Philidelphia or New York City. Recruit Sailor Bdes for th Army for river crossing operations.

Secretary of War, Simon Cameron: Sir, I will cover replacements and recuitment of reinforcements. I have Gen. in Chief of the Army, Scot to out line Army operations.
Reserve/ bought / Available: Army HQ 1/0/1, Elite Inf. 1/0/4, Line Inf. 2/2/70, Lt. Inf. 1/2/5, Skir. 0/2/2, Militia 0/0/58, Cav. 3/0/26, Lt Art. 2/0/9, Field Art. 4/0/22, Heavy Art. 0/0/6, Supply 3/0/48, Eng. 1/0/1. The need of these replacements and the following list of reinforcements the reason that I request and granted, that more money need to be printed. Now I will turn the meeting over to General Scot.

Reinforcements: Regulars= 1- MO Bde, Malitia= NH-4, CT-4, MA-4, MO-6,
Artillery= MO-3 6pd, MI-1 12 pd, DE-1 6pd, PA-1 Siege
Support= MO-1 SW, IL-1 SW.

The increase in MO Mil needed for MO occupational duty. Thr additional New England Mil for Ft. Monroe.

General in Chief of the Army, Winfield Scot: Let me first thank my commander-in-chief and these honorable men here today for the confidence in me and our brave army. My presentation will be broken down into Far West, Trans-Mississippi, Western and Eastern Theaters of operations.

FarWest: At the out break of hostilities we had the good fortune to have the Governor of Texas in secret contact with our President and he formed two Regiments of Cav., the 1st and 2nd Texas. The Governor Sam Houston now holds Dallas with the 1st Tx Cav. and Loredo is still Union. On his own authority he had ordered the 2nd Tx Cav in to Confederate...

President Abraham Lincoln : General, refrain from using that word Confederate! We will not legitimitize those Secessionist Rebles in our southern states with the word or title in this office.Though They are misguided, our brothers to the south are in rebellion of this constitutional Federal Government. You may continue Sir.

FarWest: At the out break of hostilities we had the good fortune to have the Governor of Texas in secret contact with our President and he formed two Regiments of Cav., the 1st and 2nd Texas. The Governor Sam Houston now holds Dallas with the 1st Tx Cav. and Loredo is still Union. On his own authority he had ordered the 2nd Tx Cav in to Indian Territory to bring the Creek and Cherokee nations in line. The 2nd Tx cav has done this with some sucess. Governor Houston has reguessed more military aide for further operations in Texas. To accomplish that we must strip our defences in the South West. I believe it is worth the risk to do so in early June.

Addtional troops will become available in early June California, Oregon, and the Rockies. I propose that these troops from California be ordered to the Rockies and later ordered to Omaha, KS. Later to be transfered to other theaters.

as to reinforcements are being formed in various states and as they become operational I will advise.

Trans-Mississippi: General Lyons has dispatched his plan, Clean House to gain control of Missouri to me and I am in complete accord.

Cario, IL.

Western:

Eastern:

Not on the map is Patterson's Army of Northern Shanedoah with Wallace and Keys have pulled back to Grafton to fill out its ranks. In July or august hope to creat a depot at Allegany, MD.

President Abraham Lincoln : I trust the Army in your good hands, carry on. I believe Gentleman that concludes this meeting. Till we met again in 15 days.
Injun aka Mud Marine

oldspec4
Lieutenant Colonel

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:10 am

Thanks for taking the time to do this AAR :thumbsup:

Pubcrawler
Private

Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:48 am

Good deal! Me likes AARs :thumbsup:
"General Grant is a great general. I know him well. He stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk; and now, sir, we stand by each other always."

- William Tecumseh Sherman

Injun
Lieutenant

Sat Mar 28, 2009 7:12 pm

To my readers,
I thank you for your comments. One thing I must point out, this is the first April 1861 Campaign I have started and I hope to take to completion. The games prior I have started and never passed Jan 61. The ARR is helping me carry out a full game. Even though I have be posting on and of since may 2008, I consider my self a newbie to the game and it's mechanics. As to PBEM games none and I concider myself green as grass, "have not seen the Elephant." So this ARR is a Training excerise for me.

From my commentaors I would like any helpful criticism or advice. I would like any questions as to my stratedgy as to how and whys to help clearify my own thoughts.

This ARR: Restrections.

1.) I will use the generals as given to accomplish objectives.. Divisions that are all ready given will be commaned by officers as given and only those officers of lesser senority will be assigned as adjunts. This will of course effect my combat efficence. We must consider that the Union officers were in 1861 learning thier trade. I well be stuck with McCellan.

2.) When The Emancipation Proclaimation option becomes available will issue it only after
a major victory where VP and Morale is gained.

3.) 20% of my buget of money, men (conscripts) and WS will be used for the navy. This is to help me to explore naval operations, blockade, taking coastal forts, amphibious landings and shipping.

a. just a note here: I wish that a new type of ship was in the game that where merchantmen other than the transports given. I would like to see a small mod doing this.

4.) Where Loyality is below 50% Hadius corpus will be invoked and below 20% Martial Law.

5. Raids will be only done by Cavalry regiments of Bde. strength or larger. Only in division strenth (2 Bdes or more) will they capture and hold an objective.

a. another note: The creation of Cav regiments in the game is unrealistic, both Cav. regiments and Cav Bdes at more cost to money, men and WS should be available( made of three elements, 2 Cav Regt.+ 1 batt of Horse art).

b. Like to see an artillery mod which reflect the rolls play by 6 and 12 pd smoothbore and Rodman, 10 and 20 pd rifled cannon.

C. The mod I would like to see would have the merchantmen class, Cav Bdes and artillery effects.

With that all said, lets get this show back on the road.
Injun aka Mud Marine

Spharv2

Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:18 pm

Injun wrote:C. The mod I would like to see would have the merchantmen class, Cav Bdes and artillery effects.

Sounds like you should try Clovis' Struggle For a Vast Future mod

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12415

It has what you're asking for, still a bit of work to be done, but has the changes you want.
Official Queen's Ambassador to the South

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Injun
Lieutenant

Problems with Clovis mod

Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:26 am

Spharv2 wrote:Sounds like you should try Clovis' Struggle For a Vast Future mod

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=12415

It has what you're asking for, still a bit of work to be done, but has the changes you want.

I am having problems with installing and running Clovis's Mod. Love to get it up and running and do an ARR with it.
Injun aka Mud Marine

Injun
Lieutenant

Early June 1861

Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:47 am

Early June 1861

3rd edition: The Union Times, date Early June 1861

Headlines!

! Us Forces capture Rolla, Jefferson City, and Charleston, MO. !
Gen.Lyon in a lighting strike against Reble Missuorians takes Rolla , Jeferson City and Charleston in Missouri. While on the march to Rolla, Gen. Lyon stated to our UT Reporter," This is just the opening phase in my operation Clean House to gain back all of Missouri for our dear Union.

! Laredo West Texas Lost. !
From foreign reports from Richmond reports, happier news after set backs in Missouri. It was announced today that Laredo West Texas has fallen to Confederate forces. President Jefferson Davis expressed his complete confidence in the Governor Edward Clark of Texas, will take back Dallas.

! Casualty Lists !
US=0 and CSA+180

News from White House by weekly Cabinet meeting
From sources in the White House this transcript has been provided:
Cabinet:

General in Chief of the Army, Winfield Scot

President Abraham Lincoln: I see that we are all here. So Gentleman lets get to buisness. First let us her from the Atorney General.

Attorney General, Edward Bates: Sir, Loyalty has droped in MO by half! Two weeks ago it was at 32% now at a low of 17%. We must do some thing. I suggest revocking Hadius Corpus. Tx still at 17%. My other figures for Ks=75%, KY=49%, WV=74%, MD=54%, DEL=77% and NJ=80%. Sir we must do something about Tx and MO!

President Abraham Lincoln : I quess we gotta do something. So revock Hadius Corpus in TX and MO. Next we will here from State.

Secretary of State, William H. Seward: Sir, I had Dinner with Sir Lyon the Brittish Ambassador last night. He seemed rather reserved and informed that support for our Blockade Policy is dropping in the Brittish press. He does not seem worried at all. ( Foreign Help=-7 from -8)

President Abraham Lincoln: Mr Seward please keep up those private dinners with Sir Lyon. Keep a bug in his ear to find out all you know about thier feelings towards us. Next the Postmaster General.

Postmaster General, Montgomery Blair: Sir since your last request and our postal pools and news pools we have gathered the following: Our National morale stands at 85% and the Rebels=96. Drive for Victory stands at 119 and Rebels at 134, we control 40 cities and the Rebels 51. I beleive Treasury is next, escusse me, Interior.

Secretary of the Interior, Caleb B. Smith: Mr. President please have the Treasuer release more funds for industrialization and shipping. Given the resources I can get this nation of ours on a war footing. I believe sir this is going tobe a long war.( Laughter from everyone in the room) Go a head and laugh! We shall see what you think six months from now.
We received $28 and 2 WS by shipping. Let the Mizer have his say.

President Abraham Lincoln: Getlemen I think we had enough laughter at Interior's expence.We all agree this here farcus will be over by the new year. Just look how will things are going in Missouri and Indian Territories. Now Mr. Chase.

Secretary of the Treasury, Salmon P. Chase: Mr. President I am more prepared for this meeting.

Before..................................................................Transport....................................................After
..............Money..........Men........WS.....................Rail........River..........................Money.............Men..............WS
Current...159.............168...........76.......................20...........5..............................159..................168..............76
PropExp.0...................0..............0......................................................................-335................-172.............-98Pprod....180................41...........122.................................................................... 180................ 41..............122
NTS.......339..............209..........198...................................................................... 4....................37..............100

Proposed reserve 10% of Before NTS= $33,men-20, WS 36 ,
Navy Budget 20% of the Before NTS = $66, men-40, WS 36. ,
Replacements at 10% of before NTS=$33,men-20, WS 36

You can see that in the final figure we over spent our money by $29 for the reserve. If I had printed more money we would have had at lest $ 240 more but for inflation rate would have gone over 10% which stands at 9%, which the President mandated that we should not do. I thought it best to show what is being spent on Transportation. Since the funds come from my department.

I know the War Department is complainig for more replacements. My answer to them fight some battles! You will get the funds you need. The Navy Department is happy with its share of the budget.

Secretary of the Navy, Gideon Welles: Sir I am more than satisfied with our share. First of all I would like to than the Secretary of War, for the realse of the USMC bde at Harper's Ferry and General Mansfield to Command our forming Marine Division in Philadelpia. With that lets proced to Boston and the New Englan Fleet. Gen.Hubert and 9 New England Bdes are boarding the fleet as we speak bound for Fort Monroe. The New York Sqd has the 1st US inf and 3rd US art. boarding and bound for Ft. Pickens. The New York Fleet under Farragut has orders to change ports to Philadelpia. The Washington Sqd has orders for the Chesapeak Sqd station off Ft. Monroe.

In case the war goes as Interior predicts, we are always prepared, the Navy will take action on this Rebel forts, which should help lessen the need for ships to blockade that portion of the Coast.

Naval operations for late this year or early next year

Have Rebel Naval activity in the Gulf

Secretary of War, Simon Cameron: I will be covering our replacements and reinforcements that Gen. Scot has requested. Sorry Whin, I could not provide those addtional replacements of line infantry and supply trains. Here is a list that has been provided.

........ArmyHQ...E inf....L inf.....lt inf....Skir....Mil.....lt art....fl art...H art......supply....Eng
Res.......1.............1.........1..........3........2........6........1........4........0............0...........1
buy........0.............0.........2..........0........0........0........1.......0.........0............2...........0
Avail......1.............7........88........10......5........86......25.....24.......7............74..........1

Reinforcements: Regulars; USN-1, USMC-1, OH-3....Mil; CA-1, DE-1, NJ-1.... Cav; IL-1....Art; NY-2 12pd ....River; OH-1GB, 1RT, IL-1GB

With That General Scot will take the floor.

General in Chief of the Army, Winfield Scot:

Mr. President and Honored Secretaies, I will state now those missing replacements we will regret. With that said let us look to the Theaters of Operations.

Far West

At Govenor's Houstons request the units in the South West have been ordered to Dallas,

furhter more CA units have been ordered to Portland, the Portland units to the Rockies and the Rockies unit to Soiuxo City, IA. Those units are off no use to the war effort where they are now stationed. We are not abandoning the Far West. We have Navy presence in CA. Also Mil. units will be rasied to take there place.

Trans-Mississippi

Lyon's operation Clean House is going off as planed, Phase 1 has been completed with success as reported in the UT. (Union Times). I understand from the plan of Lyon's He will turn over Rolla to General Nelson and his forces while he proceeds to Springfiled. Our intell reports a force of three Mil. at Fayetteville MO.

Not on the map General Sumner and the 11th US Inf ordered toQuincy IL to be joined by Tuttles and Vandever Bdes, now located at Dubque and Davenport, IA will proceed then to Paducah.

Western:
Divisions forming at this locations. Adm Foote ordered to Paducah to build depot for future operations.

Eastern: Army of Northern Shenandoah and Army of North Virgina gaining strength.

That ends my presentation.

President Abraham Lincoln: Thank You Gentleman , let us retire to the dinning room. Good reports all of you. Secretary Smith could you wait a spell, I like to jaw with you in private be for we have lunch.
Injun aka Mud Marine

Injun
Lieutenant

fat fingers strikes again

Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:08 am

Ye Gads an ARR is a lot of work!!! I think will worth it. For one important reason for me, it keeps me focus on the game. I am always check each move and rethinking my stratedgy. My only concern now, what will Athena do? I hope she has some surprises for me. ( not only fat fingers :blink: bad spellin also :confused: , need spell checker:w00t :)
Injun aka Mud Marine

marecone

Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:18 am

clovis more is great. I suggest that you keep playing with original version. Clovis is improving his mod on daily basis. Finish your aar As you started it and then start another with mod. Difference is huge and you will do us all a favor As we will be able to compare original and mode.
Keep up the good work.
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Injun
Lieutenant

Late June 1861

Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:10 am

Late June 1861

4th edition: The Union Times, date Late June 1861

Ft. Smith, Ark. Captured by US Cavalry!
Our glorious boys from Texas do it again. With the assistance of the 3rd Mt. Rifles capture a major Reble supply depot at Ft. Smith , Ark.

CSA Prints more Money!
News from Richmond: In statement from the CSA, Treasurer, Christopher Memminger annonced the more currency has been print.When asked about how it would effect thier inflation, ignored news reports as if he had been not asked.

US Army of Northern Virginia now active!
A reporer for this newspaper reports from Alexandria,Va, That a furry of activity in the Headquarters tent of General McDowell. , when asked the question to aide of the general, Major General Hamiliton, He made no comment about the activity. He state as Policy that all news about this or any other army will come from The War Department. We do not want to let the enemy have any information about our forces, until after the fact.

New Navy Warship Commissioned !
The Department of the Navy announced the commissioning of the USS Monitor. Then to the astonishment of our reporte, The Navy Department spokesman claimed it was a new class of warship, the Ironclad, made of all iron and steel! Who has ever heard of an iron and steel warship? Are the days of wooden ships and iron men gone?

President Lincoln calls for Volunteers! Divided Reaction by the Nation!
President Lincoln made a call for Volunteers, 75,000 me, to serve thre months. He stated that the war would be over will within that time. The reaction was divided in our Nation, most northern states raised 100,000 men except for eight northern slave states in the Union. They angryly and promtly rejected for the call of malitia.

All States Mobilize throughout the Union!
Reports to this office tell of the ethusiastism in which men have responed to the call to the colors of our nation. Frome Maine to the north, across the northern states to even out west in California, men flock to enlist.

Ballon over Washington D.C.!
Thaddeus Lowe accended over Washington D.C., observing Confederate lines accross the Potomac River and telegraphing the information to the ground. President Lincoln was a witness to this feat. He stated to reports," This demonstration convinces me, that we have a valuable tool for reconnaisance. The War department informs me the the Rebles have the same technology. When unknown General Scot was asked if this Ballon could be used as a war machine, He laughing stated,"Are you tryin to pull this soilder's leg? We will never see the day of flyin war machines, just not practical. The ballon has only one us, aerial reconnaisance. While leaving, he was over heard saying to an aide, "Flyin war machines ! I wonder where that young fella got that hair brain idea!

! Casualty Lists !
US=0 and CSA+180

News from White House by weekly Cabinet meeting Headlines!
From our source in the White House, this transcript has been provided:

President Lincoln's Cabinet:

President Abraham Lincoln : Well Gentle man lets get this here meetin over with. I have to be in Alexandria later today. Asked to review thhe troops. Postmaster why don't Ya start off.

Postmaster General, Montgomery Blair: Sir the latest infromation has our national morale at 86 and the Rebles at 95, no change. Our Drive to Victory stands at 157 and the Rebles at 185. Cities US at 41 and Rebles at 51, we gained one.

President Abraham Lincoln : It has come to my attention I have to sign another order to continue our Blockade Policy, Secretary Seward could you have the correct document drawn up?

Secretary of State, William H. Seward: Yes sir, by the way sir, my dinner with Sir Lyon did not seem to go to well with him. He hinted something to the effect that a small group of buisnessman are taking a dislike to the blockade. He said it was only a small faction of no real conceqence. ( Foreign Help -6)

President Abraham Lincoln :Mr Bates, how stands the loyality in our Union?

Attorney General, Edward Bates: No change from last meeting 15 days ago.Tx-17, KS-75, MO- 17, KY-59, WV-74, MD-54, DEL-77, and NJ-80. Sir!. these ar the very same states reported in the Union Times as being angy and rejecting for your call for volunteers. I think more drastic measures must be taken.( Shouting) Martial Law should be called in all these states!

President Abraham Lincoln : Calm down Mr. Bates, Let us not act too drastic. We have revoke Hadius Corpus in two of these states, Lets wait a little longer and see, with victory those figures should shoot right up. Interior lets here form you and please no dier predictions. Leave that for Church.( Everyone laughs, except the Secretary of the Interior.

Secretary of the Interior, Caleb B. Smith: Here is my plain report, Rail 10, river 20, I like to thank the Teasuer for the funds to purchase those transports. I am worried about our shipping, I understand a radiers were spotted in the Atlantic and Gulf. Shipping figure 28 money and 1 WS. Mr. Treasuer you may have the floor.

Secretary of the Treasury, Salmon P. Chase: Sir, Let me first state that we have to sell some 6% War Bonds and Raise Exceptional Taxes and War and Navy is calling for another draft of men, Also I ask you to resend your order to print money. Please let me explain. We need the extra funds to insure our quik victory and to do that we need mor troops and ships. The War and Navy Secretary has convinced me after an all night meeting with them.

Before CS=$58/ men 122/ WS 152, PE=$0/ Men 0/..... WS 0,.... PP= $190/ Men 42/ WS 126, NTS= $248/ men 154/ WS 278
After....CS=$58/ men 122/ WS 152, PE=$243/ men 21/ WS 137, PP= $190/ Men 42/ WS 126,NTS= $5..../ men 175/ WS 141
The after plan was just for rail, river and Replacements only! With the proposed measures this is what we have:

Proposed CS=$58/ men 122/ WS 152, PE=$284/ men 341/ WS 30, PP= $190/ Men 42/ WS 126, NTS= $532/ men 495/ WS 278
Buget:
NTS...Money....men.....WS......coments..( ) spent
Start...532.........495.....248......
Repl....(99)........(57).....(20)... with in the 10% $40 over
subtot. 443........438......229...
USN...(78).......(32).......131.. With in the 20% naval reinf. buget
Subtot.360........406........191
Reinf...(300).....(171).....( 65) US Army 60% Buget
Total.....60.......235........126.. With out money we can not equpe the men we call up. Our limiting factor now is MONEY.

This is what the money and men will be used for replacements:
line inf 2, Mil-2, Cav-1, Lt.art-1, supply-2... The most expense are those suppy trains, our boys in the ANV are active but under maned and under supplied for the forth coming offensive.
We have 20 supply trains in the field right now only 4 are full suppied. ( editor: 4 1/2 turns at 10 envelopes, 2 per turn, and still not full. How much does it take?)

Reinforcements:

Regular= USN-1, USMC-1, KS-1, PA-3,..///...Mil= CA-1, MO-2,...///...Cav= OH-1, MD-1,...///...Art= WV-1 6pd, DE-1 6pd, MD-1 12pd, NY-1 12pd, CT-1 HA
Support= OH-1 SW,...///River= MO-1GB & 1 RT,...///Ocean=3T....( editor: I got one GB in Chicago! How do i get it to the Ohio or Mississippi?)

With that I will turn it over to the Navy.

Secretary of the Navy, Gideon Welles: Nothing too new, the Blockade Sqd is still under consrtuction at Philadelphia Naval Yard. Farraguts Command is station there, Reinforcements are expected to arrive at Forts Monroe and Pickens any day now. We do have Rebel navy activity in the Gulf and Atlantic. Interior don't losses any hair about them. Ole Palmer in the Atlantic Shipping lanes will protect your merchantmen. We do have some Naval activity near Fort Pickens, The Captain of the Brooklyn has sent word he will investigate, he will have the St.Loius with him.

Secretary of War, Simon Cameron: Secretary Chase you have just given my report in that masterful report of yours, if the President will accept it I can believe that lost sleep last night will spent. Now I present to General Scot .

Before I start I will like to present what will be our new Divisional Organization Table.

Far West

As the War Departmet has reported will now hold Ft. Smith, Ark. A major supply depot in that region. The 2nd Dragoons report that at lest 3 to 4000 regular inf and 1800 mil in the vesinity of Fayettevill, Ark.

Trans -Mississippi

Lyon is continuing his march to Springfield, MO. Neslon is now in Rolla and will leave shortly to reinforce Lyon at Springfied after detaching a unit to garrison Rolla.
Sumner is now at Quincy, Il with 3 Bdes of regular inf. Will embarack on trains for Cairo. Adm. Foote is now in Paducah building a supply depot and 2GB and 2RT will shortly join him from St.Loius. Adm Foote has forwarded an naval operation to take Island 10 on the Mississippi, Using his 6 GB and 2 RT, and a two or three Bdes of Inf and 1 art. Batt. I wonder how he will do that without ofending Kentucy Neatrality?

Western and Eastern Theaters
We are still building up strenght and supplies on these two fronts. We should be able to start our Drive to Richmond either in early or late July, no later than early Aug. That concludes my report.

President Abraham Lincoln : So far So good, I do not like raising the national Inflation rate with the printing of more money, The Good Treasuer has convinced me. I thank you for all your work. I will sign off on the Money, Taxes , Volunteers and draft. Mr. Chase will ya hold for a minute or two. I gotts ta ask ya about this here 2000 bounty ya offerin for Volunteerin.
Injun aka Mud Marine

Injun
Lieutenant

Early July 1861

Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:47 am

Late June 1861

5th edition: The Union Times, date Early July 1861

War News Page

Naval Engagement In the Gulf, 1 July 1861

US Naval forces engage CSA Riverine Coastal Gunboats at Falmouth Beach near Mobile Bay on Saturday , 1 July 1861. On Friday afternoon , 30 th of June. the steam frigate, USS Brooklyn, and frigate, USS St. Louis were patroling Pensacola Bay and spotted smoke the west. Capt. Jonathan of the USS Brooklyn ordered Capt. Gilmore of the USS St. Louis to join forces to investigate smoke. Upon arriving in the vacinity of Falmouth Beach on the afternoon of the next day, a CSA Riverine Flottllia of four gunboats and 2 river transports where sighted, steaming east along the coast towards Pensacola Bay.

Capt Jonathan, USS Brooklyn , signaled Capt. Gilmore, ST.Louis, to attack. The action started at long range and closed to short range with exhanges of fire. After an hour of fighting the CSA Flotillia retreated toward Mobile Bay and the protection of forts in the area. The engagement resulted in very little damage to both sides.

General Lyon Captures Springfield Missouri on Monday July 3rd , 1861

On Mondy, July 3rd, General Lyon and his forces march into Springfield Missouri capturing a Reble supply depot.

Skirmish at Fort Smith Ark, 12 July 1861
On Wednesday 12th of July, The defences of Fort Smith Arkansa was probed by CSA forces lead by General Sterling Price. The probe was beaten back by the 3rd Mt. Rifles and the 2nd Texas Cav. After the action , 50 CSA Militia bodies found, witness claim Price's forces suffer far more wounded. Rumors filter back to Fort Smith of a mass grave of with upwards of 200 bodies, later sources confirm 125 dead. What was remarkable with this action that neathor Union Cavalry Regiments suffered any casualties.

Polictical Page

Blockade Continues and Brittish Reactions Are Displeased.
In Loyd's of London a consortium of financiers registered thier strong displeasure in Union blockade policy with Her Majesty's Government. Claiming the increasing cost of insurance. This is the first indication that could lead to intervension of European government in our civil war. (+7 foreign help)

Financial Page

Treasury Prints more Money, Issues 6% War Bonds and a one time Expetional Tax is leved , Inflation at 15% high.

The Treasury Department has issued more currency , war bonds and taxes for th war effort, claiming the need to raise money quickly to insure quick victory.

Military Page

! Casualty Lists !
US= 24 and CSA= 324

News from White House by weekly Cabinet meeting Headlines!
From our source in the White House, this transcript has been provided:

President Lincoln's Cabinet:

President Abraham Lincoln:

Postmaster General, Montgomery Blair:

Attorney General, Edward Bates:

Secretary of State, William H. Seward:

Secretary of the Interior, Caleb B. Smith:

Secretary of the Treasury, Salmon P. Chase:

Secretary of the Navy, Gideon Welles:

Secretary of War, Simon Cameron:

.................................................................................................
President Abraham Lincoln: Gentlemen lets get started. From now on the order of your reports will be: Postmaster,AG, State, Interior Treasury, Navy and War Department.

Postmaster General, Montgomery Blair:
National morale is; US+= 82, Rebles= 95,
VP; US=161, Rebles= 161
Cities, US= 42, Rebles=51

Attorney General, Edward Bates:
Loyalty, TX=18 Hadius Corpus , MO=13 Hadius Corpus, KS=71, IA=95, WI=95, IL=95, KY=45, WV=74, MD=54, Del=78,NJ=80
Sir, What I do not understand is the drop in KS, IA, and WI?

Secretary of State, William H. Seward:
Sir The Brittish merchants are raving about our blockade policy and having some effect with the Brittish Foreign Policy. ( Foreign Help=1)

Secretary of the Interior, Caleb B. Smith:
Industry =0, Rail=20 and River= 10. Merchant shipping brought in 20 money and 5 WS.

Secretary of the Treasury, Salmon P. Chase:

Our war Budget

NTS...............Money...............Men...............WS
Start...............424....................431................307
R/R................( 58)...................000................(30)
Subtot.............376....................431................277
10% Repl........(36)...................(18)...............(18)
Subtot.............340....................413................259
20% USN.......(84)....................(10)...............(47)
Subtot..............265....................401................212
Reinforce........(119)..................(126)..............(32)
Total................46......................275................180

Replacements: 3 supply trains.

Reinforvements:
Regular= 3 NY Bdes,
MIL= 2 MO,
Cav= 2 IL, 2 WI,
Art= 1 IN HA, 1 WI HA,
River+= MO 2 RIC (River Ironclads)

Secretary of the Navy, Gideon Welles:

Sir, I gladly report our first Naval Victory, Battle of Falmouth Beach near Mobile Bay on Saturday , 1 July 1861
We believe the Rebles where attempting to get a fllet to Pensacola to mount an amphibious operation against Ft. Pickens.

We have Reble Navy activity in The Mississippi delta region we beleive that these forces will attempt to get to Pensacola..

Secretary of War, Simon Cameron:

Sir, I gladly report our first Army Victory, Battle of Fort Smith, Ark on 12 July 1861.

Trans-Mississippi

As you can see from the map, that General Lyon is awaiting reinforcements from Rolla, General Nelson. Reble General Polk and at least 1 bde is one days march to his south. CSA General Zollicoffer is in Fayetteville with atleast two Bdes 4 to 5000 men, We wonder which way he will jump north to Polk or south to Sterling Price and his 1300 men. What will Price do fall back to Fayettevill or attack Ft. Smith again he is short on amo, has no supply train. Lyon has dettached his Cav to scout Fayetteville.
The Cav. forces in Ft. Smith will hold, A Cav unit near Ft Gibbson will attack Price to disrupe his attack on Ft. Smith

The depot is completed in Paducah and Foote will gather his river force of 5 gunboat sqds and with Sumner's 8th Div. Attack and take Island 10.

West

Gathering strength to take Lexington, Clarksburg and Prestonburg, KY.

East
CSA General Bee and Artillery has moved north with unknown Infantry strength. We will advance on Manasas and and scout Fredricksburg. General Milroy will take his command to block Bee advance into Penn. Hooker will advance on Winchester.

Forces in this theater

Penninsula
General Hurlbert will advance on Hampton.
Injun aka Mud Marine

Injun
Lieutenant

Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:50 am

Sorry the army and navy got thier victory reports mixed
Injun aka Mud Marine

Injun
Lieutenant

Preview of early July 1861

Sun Apr 05, 2009 7:24 am

I have decided to add this to my ARR, there were two battles in the East;
Winchester and Fulton. I though you might Like to see the maps,

Winchester, the battle has been drawn up:

Here is fulton MD, this is still a work in progress:

I hope you will like my interpitation of the battle report.

I may continue you this for all major engagements.
Injun aka Mud Marine

Injun
Lieutenant

Late July 1861

Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:23 am

Late June 1861

6th edition: The Union Times, date Late July 1861

War News Page

CSA Raise Taxes
Word has reached us from Richmond that the Conderacy, has imposed a Graduated income Tax.

Raid In Pennsilvania
The Governor of Pennsilvania to quell the fear of citizens in that state. Unconfirmed reports in of Confederate troops sighted in Fraklin County of Pennsilvania.The 10th PA Cav called up for service. Fears and rumors spread in Harrisburg, Pa of Confederate occupation. Some say that the enemy is only weeks away.

Battle In Arkansa

We have received reports of fighting in Van Buren County, Arkansas on July 2, 1861. The 2nd US Cavalry lead by Maj. Brian attacked Gen. Sterling Price's Command near Van Buren, Arkansas. After a brief engagment was forced to retreat to Pleasant Indian Territory . It was believed by Maj. Waite of the famed 2nd Texas Union Cavalry the Price was preparing another attack on Fort Smith, Arkansas. He sent by fast messenger a dispatch to Maj. Brian of the 2nd US Cavalry to launch a preemptive disrupting attack on Price's command. The resulting effort saw General Price and 1200 men withdraw from Van Buren to Fayetteville, Arkansas.

Confederate Naval force Routed In North Mississippi Delta
On July 2nd, 1861 , another victory was added to Capt. Jonathan's Pensacola Sqd. of the USS Brooklyn and St. Louis. While patrolling the Gulf smoke was sighted in the North Mississippi delta region. He steamed to investigate and found a riverine flotilla of six gunboats and six river transports under sail. He immediately engaged and sent the flotilla fleeing.

Raiders in the Atlantic Shipping Lanes
Merchant seamen report of a naval engagement between Union Adm. Palmers escorts and Confederate Adm. Semme's raiders. The Raiders received damage without cost to transport fleet, transport, SS Johnathan damaged.

Hampton, Virginia Captured by Union Forces
Gen. Hulburl and his 3rd New England Division captures Hampton, Virginia. The only obstacle between him and Richmond is Williamsburg.

Hooker Takes Winchester, Virginia on July 9th, 1861
In a bold move, Gen. Hooker moves on Winchester. After a battle with 3600 Confederate troops that where dug in before the town, Gen. Hooker captures the town and depot of Winchester. Confederate forces flee for safety to the depot at Warren , Virginia.

Union Gen. Keyes and his 7th Division Defeated at Fulton County, Maryland near Dickey's Mountain on July 11th of July 1861
In a surprising move by Confederate forces in late June, what was thought to be Gen. Bee, one Infantry Bde and three artillery batteries turn out to be Lt.Gen. Johnston and two Bdes of infantry and four Regts. of cavalry, approximately 5000 men vs. Union Gen. Keyes and his 7th Division of 9000. Gen. Keyes complains to Washington Headquarters that he had insufficient intelligence of enemy strength due to lack of cavalry reconnaissance.

Confederate Lt.Gen. Johnston escapes battle with Maj.Gen. Milroy's Command
With the threat to Pennsylvania, in Franklin County, Maj.Gen. Milroy's Command was order north from the siege of Manasas by Lt.Gen. McDowell of the Army of Northern Virginia to engage Lt.Gen. Johnston's forces in Franklin County of Pennsylvania. Upon arrival at Antietam Creek in Franklin on the 15th, Lt.Gen. Johnston skillfully avoided battle. Harrisburg, Pennsylvania threaten, Baltimore in striking distance and Washington D.C.

Polictical Page

Prestige rises for Confedracy in Britain and in Europe
A small group of British financiers is fanning the a spark of an Intervention Movement in Britannic press.( Foreign Help +3 )

Economic Page

Merchant Fleet Arrives Bringing Sunrise Economics
The merchant fleet brought in 19 money and 7 WS to US ports. This is believed to be the reason of economic sunrise as inflation drops form 15% to 14%.

Military Page

General Hooker mentioned in dispatches

The War Department congratulates General Hooker for his victory at Winchester, Virginia.( Seniority 9 )

! Casualty Lists !

US-726 CSA-1548

Captured 300

National Moral US-83 CSA-95

VP US-203 CSA-212

VP Cities US-43 CSA-50

Loyalties: HC /Tx-18, HC/ MO-14, KS-71, IL-95, IA-95, WI-95, DEL-79, KY-45, WV-74, MD-56, NJ-81

Rail 20 River 10,

Financial
NTS............MONEY............MEN............WS
START........555....................210...............301... PRINT MONEY
REPLACE....(52)...................(30)...............(301)
SUB TOT.....462....................180................254
USN..............(53)...................(5)..................(23)
SUBTOT......409....................175.................223
REINFOR....(256)..................(147)..............(70)

TOTAL.......156....................28..................153

Replacements..1-Line inf, 1-cav, 2 supply

Reienforcements....Regular- 1 CT Bde, 3I/1c/1lta.....Irreg....1-ssMO,1-ssOH,.........2-CT Cav
..........1-12pd NJ, 1-12pd MD, 1-HA CT,......... 2 supply OH, 1 supply IL

Sorry I had to change things. I am finding out a lot is going on as the war progresses.

Trans-Mississippi

Trans-Miss-SitRep-start

Trans-miss-ops-AR-MO L0761

Trans-miss-ops-OOB L0761

Trans-Miss-Cairo ops L0761

Cairo OOB L0761

West

West L0761

EAST

Johnston my Delemma

By looking at the map Johnston could jump in any of eight directions. I do know he is short on amo. He needs a source, He has three choices Harrisburg, York or Lancaster.

CSA Forces, These are the known CSA forces spotted. I figure BEE is just as strong as Johnston and will attack Winchester.

East operations and reinforcements

union forces east comitted to operations

Committed to Reinforce

US Patterson

Harr-York-Lan def

Naval ops to Fort Clark

Farragut's Cmd

What a turn
Injun aka Mud Marine

Return to “American Civil War AARs”