dagleya
Private

CSL (Union) vs. Paul Roberts (Confederacy)

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:42 am

Some notes first - I will appreciate advice if given, or general comments. I'm going to post up until mid-1862 in one chunk as well.

This is actually my first real sustained game, so most of my movements and analysis is based on a first try basis.

-------------------------------------------------------

Without further ado an overview of how April 1861 looks - in short not very good. I have a mere sixteen infantry regiments spread throughout the loyal states, with most of them located in the far west. Even worse they'll be locked in place for two months or more per event. Nothing to really do this first turn other than hope Roberts doesn't move too fast in attacking Norfolk, Fort Sumter, or Harper's Ferry. (Fat chance at that)

The only real thing to do is order some industrialization across the north in New York, New Jersey and Wisconsin all prime targets for industry.

I've also begun to invest in more locomotives - going to need them very soon to start transporting my forces across the north to assembly points and every little bit will help in the coming turns.

What to expect from Roberts? Honestly I don't know, never played him and don't know how much he's played the game. I may get smashed very early on in this war, but in the immediate future I expect him to initiate a cotton embargo to get foreign intervention up and make as much progress towards the border region around Washington and aggressive moves into Missouri.

My own plans? Fairly simple, engage in a static defense around Washington as much as possible throughout 1861 and into 1862 with the aim of launching an ambitious amphibious based advance against Richmond ala the Peninsula Campaign - expect with you know, aggressiveness and fighting spirit. Should that not prove possible I'll launch another aggressive movement by way of the navy against a different but still juicy target - New Orleans, Mobile, or Charleston. In the west I'll attempt to go along a historical line - keeping to a strict neutrality in Kentucky with the aim of having Roberts make a stupid move along with aggressive defense in Missouri and moves down the Mississippi. By mid-1862 I wish to have a firm grasp at Memphis and all of Arkansas if at all possible. Nothing too ambitious I hope.

We also agreed on some house rules...

- Historical attrition. Combat losses can be solved in the field, but attrition out of battle will occur and will require stack placement on a depot to rectify.

- Max three strategic deployments. This is basically for leaders, but I've never really used it so I've only got a vague idea right now of how it works - think it allows me to instantly move a general across the board to take command of other forces (but with a penalty). House rule is to only do this with forces that have an overland connection - ie. I can strat redeploy Grant from Missouri to Maryland, but can't do the same to Texas or any ampibious landing I conduct in the south.

- I also proposed a house rule whereby until mid-1862 the Confederates cannot launch an invasion into northern states to simulate the reluctance of southern leadership to appear as aggressors. Smaller raiding forces are exempt from this proposed house rule. This rule does not apply to the border states - Roberts can bring whatever he wants into Missouri, Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland, or Delaware all he wants, but I'll crush his troops if he tries.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:43 am

Early/Late April 1861

As expected Roberts went for all three early targets - taking Fort Sumter and Norfolk without any issues. On the other hand he has only just started a siege of Harper's Ferry. I hope the small garrison can attempt to stall the Confederates for a few weeks so that I can amass sufficient troops to raise the siege and keep control of that vital depot.

Behind the lines we've had some issues - rioting in Baltimore and the subsequent cutting of the rail lines leading to Washington, dark times indeed. At least there is some good news as we now have blockade fleets starting to appear in the blockade boxes and our transport fleets have brought in a moderate amount of critical war supplies. We've also had some industrial expansion, a small iron works in New York and some minor supply producers in Illinois and Wisconsin - I took the opportunity to cancel improvements in New Jersey in favor of the better positioned Illinois.

Elsewhere my only available military unit is now the cavalry regiment raised in New York by Carl Schurz. I intend to send them to Washington to bolster the defense, but first they'll stop to quell the violence in Baltimore, restore order, and repair those vital rail lines into the capital.

Other than this I've only done one more thing - strat redeployed my three allowed generals to the west for this turn. I've sent Lew Wallace to Indianapolis where I hope to form a division in time. Thomas J. Wood has been sent to St. Louis, and Andrew A. Humphreys has been sent to Loiusville - a central facet for where I'll plan my movements into southern Kentucky and from there into Tennessee. I'll look to set up an army group in that region eventually, after we form the Army of the Potomac, and the Army of the West - probably not until early 1862. Until then strong divisional units will be all I can muster in the state.

But that's it for this turn.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:44 am

Late April/Early May

Two more weeks have passed with some good news reaching us. I seems Roberts launched his expected attack on Harper's Ferry with a single half strength militia regiment. Not a bad idea, as I had a far weaker unit of only sixty men guarding that vital depot, but his two attacks over the course of those two weeks both fail and send his forces reeling back into the Shenandoah. Guess I get to keep the region for a little while longer. I'll take immediate steps to rectify this issue though, as in the new turn the Washington Brigade is formed - two elite regiments of line infantry from Pennslyvania - which are placed under the command of Erasmus Keyes and ordered by train to secure the region around the vital depot.

The situation along the border in early May 1861

While Keyes has been sent to Harper's Ferry the last turn has also seen the formation of the Army of the Potomac under Irvin McDowell - not the best of commanders with only a 2-2-2 rating (strategic-offensive-defensive). The strategic rating decides how often the leader will be active and available to commit offensive actions or form divisions/corps/armies, he can move but can't attack without being active. The higher the rating and the better chance a general will be active on any given turn - McDowell with a 2 rating won't be active very often and someone like Grant with a 5 or 6 will be active almost every turn. The offensive and defensive values do a few things, but for the sake of brevity they add percentage bonuses to units under their command and these stack as you include corps and army organization - ie. a divisional commander alone will give offensive and defensive bonuses, but putting that division in a coprs will allow you to also include the corps commanders bonuses and so on.

Getting back to the point, McDowell is sitting at Alexandria with a total of five very, very understrength divisions that won't be moving anywhere for three turns at the earliest. I'll divide these divisions into two corps as well under my available two star generals - Charles Hamilton and Robert Milroy - which should be suitable for the forseeable future. A third corps at Harper's Ferry will likely come into being soon as well.

I can also see that Roberts has also begun forming his own forces close to the border - it seems Joseph E. Johnston in the Shenandoah with a corps sized unit and while I can't see it, undoubtedly an army sized unit near Fredericksburg under P.G.T. Beauregard. They shouldn't be moving for awhile yet so I'll be good for the moment though.

In broader matters I've cancelled all industrial expansion, at least for the next few weeks and instead shifted efforts towards improving my rail and riverine transport capabilities as it seems clear I'll need all I can get when the war really heats up. Elsewhere the ability to recruit new units has opened up for good and I've decided to start working on raising units at a good pace in the west - an infantry brigade in Missouri, two more in Kentucky, and one more in Indiana - all of which should be ready for operation by the middle of June. On the naval front I've decided to pursue a rapid naval build up with the aim of blockading as many ports as possible in the near future. Our first goal in that respect will be to blockade the James river, thus cutting Richmond and the heart of Virginia off from the ocean. From there we'll attempt to move south and into the Gulf with all possible haste when it seems like we can successfully blockade the enemy.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:46 am

Early/Late May

Still no large noticible moves by Roberts this turn besides some small movements in Texas, the Indian Territory, and around Tucson in the South West. In contrast it now appears my early bad position is rapidly improving. As anticipated another corps level formation has formed northwest of Harper's Ferry - though unconviently far away from that depot - it's been ordered with all haste to make for the depot but it should take twenty days and is led by a rather lackluster general, a Robert Patterson.

The Shenandoah situation in May of 1861

News from the diplomatic circles is slightly grim - an uptick in British support of the Confederates, but this is still not very important as the intervention meter is only at +6 and won't become a problem unless I face a grave crisis.

This turn generally saw a very large increase in the amount of units I've got under my command - besides the few brigades I raised across Missouri, Indiana, and Kentucky, more have been automatically raised by event in Michigan, Ohio, Pennslyvania, New York, and elsewhere - enough to form and equip a few divisions. I also made strides to build a number of militia units in the vulnerable border states of Missouri, West Virginia, and Illinois. New militia units now garrison among other places - St. Louis, Cairo, Wheeling, and Grafton - amongst which the most important is probably Cairo an important jumping off place down the Mississippi river which I'll want to hold. Reports have reached me that Roberts seems to be sending the forces amassed under Leonidas Polk up the Mississippi in the direction of Cairo. He'll either be aiming for Cairo or less likely St. Loius.

My forces in Missouri now compose of about two brigades worth of troops - of which only one is fully formed and operational under the command of Nathaniel Lyon, with Wood in support. While Polk is advancing up the Mississippi I don't deem the threat that important to gravely react at this point and instead want to keep Polk from establishing himself in the southern half of the state and as such order Lyon to move towards Rolla, a small city with a depot southwest of St. Loius. Lyon will have around 2,000 men and shouldn't really encounter any resistance besides maybe a single militia unit - so I order him to assault the town immediately upon reaching it. I'll deal with Polk starting next turn. Should he move to St. Loius I've still got a respectable force under recently redeployed Louis Blenker and forces in the city to prevent it falling if Blenker is defeated. I've also ordered a second militia unit - raised in Chicago - to head for Cairo by train to see if it can be of use holding that city if at all possible.

The situation in Missouri. Lyon moves to assault Rolla and Polk advances up the Mississippi to destinations unknown

Further east nothing seems to be going on in Kentucky, at least with active force. I'm now looking to gather and train as many troops as possible in the state without moving to take those areas loyal to the Confederates. I'll let Roberts tip the boat and get Kentucky on my side. If he decides not to do so that's fine, as it'll make moving towards Nashville all the more easier.

In the east I've got even less to do - Schurz and his cavalry have repaired the damage to the rails to Washington and with that done will join the forces amassing at Alexandria, but that seems about all that can be done in that region for now.

For new units I'm building a new artillery unit in Kentucky to bolster the forces growing at Louisville. I've also contracted for supply units to be built in Kentucky and Missouri. These are gravely important, but expensive units, as they increase the amount of supplies brought by forces and can allow me to construct depots - two units for each depot in a territory that is firmly controlled by me. This is especially important in Kentucky, for if I am not to make a mark in that state I must construct a depot at Bowling Green to successfully advance on Nashville.

Edit: I went back after awhile and looked over my motives and near goals after some time away from the turn - awaiting Roberts reply mostly - and decided that it would be a good idea to start recruiting some more cavalry units for usage as cheap raiding units into the border regions - with the aim of ripping up critical railroad junctions. I expect Roberts to do the same to me in the near future so turn about is called for. Also some small amount of artillery construction as of right now - especially in Missouri and the west to gain some early heavy hitting power. In the long term (near the end of 1861) I'd like to have a fully formed cavalry brigade or division sized unit conducting long range raids into the south to rip up rail lines, destroy depots, and then make a dash back for the Union lines - potentially as handy tools to distract Roberts from naval operations.

After reading some AARs on the AGEOD site it seems a good strategy to take will also to use my naval operations - the capture of coastal forts and the blockade of important Confederate sally ports to get prominent generals promoted and experienced - people like Hooker or Keyes.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:49 am

Just a Note: I copied this format from someone else who wrote an AAR here, can't remember who - but imitation is the best form of flattery after all.

---------------------------------------------

Late June 1861

Economy: The Union has some issues, but I'm doing well. My money situation is stable - raking in 200,000 a month without any additional measures, and the same goes for war supply. I've got enough to cover my needs. The manpower situation is less helpful as I don't grab so much every turn.

Got lots and lots of extra railroad and river capacity. I'll attempt to bolster my river transport a bit, but its not a strong priority.

I've got enough war supply to industrialize a bit too.

Draft: None
Financial: None

Reinforcements: 4 x Militia (1 KY, 3 IL), 1 x Infantry Brigade (MO), 2 x Cavalry (OH & WI), 6 x 10 Pdr Artillery (2 OH, 2 IN, 2 MO)
Replacements: None

Virginia Theater

Things are still quiet, but won't be for long. This turn both armies have been unlocked and are ready to roll. Hooker now commands two divisions at Harper's Ferry - 10,000 men total - but the men that just arrived from Pattersons former command are still outfitting and only at about 60% strength. Hooker will remain at Harper's Ferry for the time being, as it has a depot and he's now entrenched to level 2.

Near Washington I've got the makings of two corps - but only one of them is nicely strengthened. Total strength among McDowell and his two corps is roughly 25,000 men. I'm not sure what I want to do here right now, Roberts is now active as well so I can't be too forward. I give orders for Hamilton's corps to move to Manassas. Roberts surely won't attack Alexandria so the gamble is worth taking right now.

At Fort Monroe, off Norfolk my troops there have given Magruder's forces at Hampton a stern licking with out artillery. I see Roberts is looking to take the fort - no doubt to deny me the ability to blockade the James river. But that won't work. Orders are given to some of my vessels to sail into the James and blockade the ports along it.

Kentucky Theater

Humphreys now has a full division and is ordered south to Bowling Green. Don't want to let Roberts get that. He'll set up a depot there.

Transmississippi & Far West

Bad news in this theater. Polk has taken Cairo and inflicted a small defeat on Lyon as he came up to recapture the city.

Lyon is bloodied a bit, but considering he was outnumbered and must have lost some cohesion on the trip from St. Louis the results aren't all too bad. Seems most of my hits were on their cavalry however. He's retreated back to Pinkneyville for the time being.

In Missouri things are largely quiet, but Roberts has gotten a regiment of Texans up to Bloomington and put the town to siege. He can all he wants, the city has no depot and probably won't fall to a cavalry unit.

In good news, down in Arkansas one of my cavalry units has taken Fort Smith without a fight. Since I can't hold it I order my men to torch the depot and move on.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:50 am

Early July 1861

Economy: Things are looking well for the Union when it comes to the economy - nearly 500,000 in the bank and more coming. Not pondering any extreme cash raising issues right now. Manpower has also stabilized this turn and the same with war supplies. Don't forsee any shortages for awhile.

Industrialization in Indiana has led to some small increases in supply for our troops.

Draft: Call for Volunteers (+132 Conscript Companies)

Reinforcements: None

Virginia Theater

Johnston has moved slightly forward to Winchester. He now threatens Harper's Ferry, but could've had advanced further - seems he's just testing the waters. Regardless Hamilton has now put Manassas under siege. It's only got one militia unit guarding it and pressure is now mounting for me to advance on Richmond so I order an immediate assault. If Johnston advances on him he'll be bloodied.

Kentucky Theater

Humphreys has made it to Bowling Green without issue. We've got a little scouting power out to the Tennessee border and it seems Roberts doesn't have much forward of here - at least that I can see. It's time to be a little forward and I order Humphreys onto Nashville.

Humphreys Division

Further north McClellan is still locked at Cincinnati for four more weeks, and Lew Wallace will become active next turn with a full division of troops from Indiana and Michigan.

Bad news first. Roberts has abandoned the siege of Bloomington seeing it to be fruitless and has instead taken the undefended Quincy, Illinois. The depot will likely be destroyed and require rebuilding. However, I'll try and prevent that - sending two militia regiments to the city in an attempt to retake the area. Other damage has also been done in Missouri, the rails around Bloomington have been cut and much of the countryside north of the Missouri river have been pillaged. North of St. Louis we've spotted some enemy cavalry.

We do have some good news - fairly good in fact. Our cavalry in Arkansas for one has destroyed the depot at Fort Smith. I order the troops now to move north to Fayetteville, recon tells me the area is undefended and I hope it stays so. Blenker has also taken Rolla, giving us a stepping stone towards Springfield and Arkansas.

Around St. Louis I've also formed a third division in the area under Edwin Sumner. He's got a strong division of 4,500 men total, including some cavalry and artillery. They'll advance to Pinckneyville and join up with Lyon where I'll be able to advance on Cairo again.

Naval Campaign

In order to gain control of the Mississippi - Roberts is right now somewhat dominating the river having brought up absolutely everything - I've gone and ordered the construction of every gunboat and river ironclad I can get my hands on in Missouri. You can see the combat power between the gunboats and the ironclads, so once I get those up and running the river is mine. Two more ironclads are also ordered in Kentucky.

In the Atlantic I've managed to get Farragut into the James river. He'll be able to blockade those ports and is also ordered to bombard those units it sees. A further blockade fleet is also being ordered. I want to place another city - probably Savannah - under siege and blockade.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:51 am

Late July 1861

Economy: My spending spree last month ends with a whole lot of nothing left in the bank. I've got small amounts of money and war supplies left right now but that isn't too bad as I get a lot every turn. The problem is with manpower

Industrialization in Illinois yeilds a small iron foundry in Chicago (+4 War Supply/Turn) and some cartridge production in Dixon (+6 Ammo Pts/Turns)

Financial: Measured Exceptional Taxes (+175,000 dollars)

Reinforcements: 2 x Infantry Brigades (MO), 1 x Sharpshooters (MO), 7 x Militia (3 MO, 4 PA), 5 x 10 Pdr Artillery (4 NY, 1 PA), 4 x River Gunboat (MO), 6 x River Ironclad, 1 x Blockade Fleet (NY)
Replacements: Fairly large increase of stored line infantry replacements.

Virginia Theater

I managed to take Manassas over the last turn.

However, it seems as though this was a trap set by Roberts - as he sprung Beauregard on me with the aim of beating up Hamilton's Corps. Thankfully we managed to get out of that snafu. Hamilton has retreated back towards Leesburg, but the threat of Beauregard still exists and I'm moving him immediately back to Alexandria. Alone both my Corps are smaller than the enemy force and getting them together in one province will do wonders for their survivability. Can't let him run roughshod onto Washington after all.

Hooker will remain at Harper's Ferry, but with orders to conduct a fighting retreat if he is attacked, I don't want him engaging in a fruitless battle if Johnston is joined by Beauregard.

Kentucky and Tennessee Theater

Confederate raiders are now threatening up into Indiana and, probably, Ohio soon. Foolishly I left Vincennes empty and his cavalry has taken it - likely to destroy the depot like he did at Quincy (which I won't be rebuilding). I will be sending cavalry to get this raider though and Lew Wallace and his now active division will be coming up along side to get the area locked down.

Over at Cincinnati, McClellan is finally unlocked and has 7,000 men. Likely they'll be moved into Virginia when he takes over command of the Army of the Potomac.

Finally, Humphreys division is now ready to attack Nashville with some help by way of W. Nelson to give me full command points. The city is garrisoned by Bushrod Johnson, but intelligence tells me he has only a cavalry regiment, some supply trains and a field hospital. It's time to attack and the orders are given to do so. Goddamn the torpedos, full steam ahead. If I fail it will be a small setback, but if I take Nashville this early it will surely bolster national morale.

Best news first - my cavalry has taken Fayetteville in northern Arkansas without issue. I'm going to torch the depot and then move my men back into the Indian territories to torch the Cherokees and Creek Indian villages. War is all hell and they've turned their back on the government.

Raiding throughout the region continues on my towns, but it seems I've garrisoned just about everything up sufficiently. You can see the scope of the actions however...

I've retaken Quincy, sans one depot. My men will repair the rail lines there. I'll need to repair the lines near Bloomington (MO) and north of St. Louis at some point, but they aren't priorities. Also rail lines have been cut at Salem and these are being repaired. Roberts has been doing a nice job of hitting my supply lines and getting away quickly. This should change now as his raids have spurned the formation of new cavalry units in Illinois and Iowa. Des Moines is under siege, seems he wanted to take that too and torch the depot - thankfully it was garrisoned. I've sent cavalry units after those raiders, see if I can kill them off.

In Missouri a strong brigade sized formation at Lexington has also come online this turn. Since Jefferson City is the nearest objective - and has a depot - I've ordered them to sail down the Missouri and take the city. Blenker is also back in shape and is also ordered to move south, with the aim of taking Springfield and fully retaking Missouri for the Union. Seems all too easy though. Price may be down there plotting to move to Rolla at the same time. Regardless I've left Rolla secured and order Blenker to retreat if attacked in force.

The only battle to take place during the turn occurs a week in as Lyon again advances on Cairo - but without Sumter and is bloodied as a result, losing 1,200 men. Wood's division is solidly thrashed and a militia regiment lost entirely. He does retreat back to Pinckneyville and then gets Sumter. I guess I'll attack again. With Sumter I have almost three times the combat power of Polk and my odds should be good.

Naval Campaign

Confederate ships came out to contest my control of the James river and ran headlong into Farragut. I've bloodied them, along with the CSS Virginia. Now that the Monitor has arrived it should be a foregone victory.

Another blockade flotilla has been added to my forces but will take a few turns to organize and become active. A further flotilla is now ready and is sailing to my forts in the Florida Keys with the eventual goal of blockading Pensacola.

Ironclads on the Mississippi and its watershed probably won't be ready for four or six weeks - so Confederate domination of the river will remain for awhile.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:51 am

Early August 1861

Economy: The Union economy is chugging along very nicely. Got some nice events giving me free money - Congress has enacted the first income tax (+200,000 dollars) and the Confiscation Act (+200,000 dollars). War supplies have taken a sharp tick downward, even with the lack of industrialization, largely due to recruiting new ships.

Financial: 5% War Bonds (+161,000 dollars)

Reinforcements: 2 x Militia (OH), 2 x 10 Pdr Artillery (NY), 2 x Blockade Fleet (NY, PA)

Virginia Theater

I just noted over at the AGEOD forums that the patch I'm using won't allow Corps formation under March of 1862. First time I've had that rule and it'll make any attacks I do very suspect and worrying.

Virginia is now solid. I've rejiggered my nascent corps formations to get rid of command point problems - giving McDowell the 13th Division along with two independent brigades. I now have almost 40,000 men at Alexandria and 21,000 at Harper's Ferry. In West Virginia Hurlbut has now formed a very small division at Grafton. He'll remain stationary and guard the way into that region.

We did lose 10 national morale this turn for not advancing on Richmond though. This isn't good, and looking at the victory points it seems Roberts has gained the same amount of morale for keeping me at bay. If you look at my national morale over the last few turns though it sure didn't go down by ten - looks like my next item kept it up.

Excellent news out of Tennessee - Nashville has been captured. Hip hip hooray!

Seems Roberts moved to reinforce Bushrod Johnson at the same time, but arrived too late. They are now besieging me with cavalry and an infantry brigade. I should be able to hold out for awhile, I've got more powerful forces but we are dangerously forward. Supply is not getting through here, river supplies being blocked by Forts Henry and Donelson and from behind by Confederate forces blocking the river crossing at Gallatin. I'll need to move fast to open up the supply routes or I'll lose my prize.

To do so I've ordered now active McClellan to form his division and move forward with haste down to Gallatin. He's active (gasp!) so I make him move by rail and with orders to force march to see if he can take the area in the next turn.

Lew Wallace has also now retaken Vincennes - minus one depot - and with a garrison coming I order him and his division to move to Louisville, can't let that place fall no matter the price.

On a minor note Camp Dick Robinson has been formed south of Lexington giving me more conscript companies and some free units. They are locked for twelve weeks though.

Our cavalry in Arkansas has destroyed Fayetteville's depot. We move on after this.

Raiding continues, haven't been able to catch any of the enemies units. Up in Iowa, Independence has been taken - but no biggue without a depot. Cavalry is besieging Dubuque without results, he'll probably just rip up the rails again, same with Rock Island and Toledo in Illinois and Indianapolis.

In Missouri Jefferson City has fallen. We leave a small garrison and move the rest of the men towards St. Louis where General Fremont has just appeared. I form another division there, this time under J. Shields. Fremont commands just over 7,000 men around the city. To the southwest the last turn saw Springfield fall too. As I feared Sterling Price was around but he had a paltry force and was forced out of the city as Blenker took it. He still remains outside with three militia regiments. We'll take him out this turn and perhaps look at advancing on Fayetteville with a good sized force.

Transmississippi region

The best news of all comes at Cairo though. It was a close run thing but we forced the enemy out of that vital port and managed to retain the depot. This was a serious error on Roberts part. Both sides never really got into battle though, it seems Polk cut and ran after he saw the size of my force. Perhaps this is bad luck, as I couldn't bloody Polk he may quickly move towards Nashville.

Naval Campaign

Nothing much going on right now. I managed to recruit two more blockade fleets last turn.

The blockade flotilla that made its way down to Florida is now moving towards Pensacola. If I can I'd like to bring troops along at some point to take the city as well.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:52 am

Late August 1861

Economy: My economy is doing well, regardless of expenses this turn. Still have a huge amount of cash reserved, with lesser amounts of manpower and war supplies left. Pondering a partial conscription.

Actual industrialization is limited to Indiana where Fort Wayne has made a small armory (+7 Ammo Pts) and another ironworks in Chicago (+3 War Supply).

Reinforcements: 2 x Infantry Brigade (NY, MA), 1 x Army HQ (MD), 3 x Ironclad (NY)

Virginia Theater

Nothing good on in Virginia. Roberts and I have apparently decided to stick around in the same places. Good for me, probably not for him. I've got a mind to advance on Manassas with my full strength just to bloody the Confederates. But this isn't a great idea, so I'll stay put.

I've also recruited a new Army HQ - which will allow me another Army group somewhere in the west. The question is where? McClellan is the most senior and I may need to give him it. That said I'll maybe replace McDowell for McClellan and give the western army group to newly arrived Henry Halleck.

I was quite worried about the position of our forces around Nashville last turn, but two weeks later the problems have passed. Roberts decided not to press me and instead withdrew his forces around Nashville. Humphreys division will remain around that city. McClellan hasn't quite reached Gallatin and isn't active anymore so he'll be need awhile to open the supply lines.

Lew Wallace has been diverted from Louisville to Bowling Green. I'm going to continue this very haphazard movement until I get bitten or run into more opposition. I feel as though I have Roberts on the run in this area so it's best to keep up the offensive. Newly arrived John McClernand will move to Louisville instead, as he's been collecting a division in Indiana.

We still have some raiding forces in Indiana, but they aren't a real problem.

Good news all around. The raiding forces Roberts has sent north are effectively cut off and not much of a problem anymore. I'll probably be chasing them around for a few more turns but they won't take anything valuable, just cutting some rail lines, but not doing anything that really hurts my economy or war effort.

In Missouri the way down to Arkansas is fully open. Price has been thrown back from Sprinfield without a fight and while he's close I've ordered Blenker south to Fayetteville where he'll reestablish the depot. Cavalry from the Indian Territories will join him. In hindsight I shouldn't have destroyed it, but it may have contributed to Price's defeat, so it's okay. John C. Fremont is working his way down to Springfield as well, with another division under Shields - 7,000 men in total.

Lyon will remain at Cairo for the foreseeable future. At least until my naval forces can clear the Mississippi. That shouldn't be too long as my ironclads in St. Louis are less than two weeks away from completion.

Naval Campaign

While I'm close to retaking the initiative on the Mississippi, the naval campaign on the high seas is doing even better.

For one I've blockaded Pensacola without issue.

Up at the James river I've also blockaded Norfolk, Suffolk, and Williamsburg bringing my blockae total upto 35%.

It'll be awhile until I get my next few blockade flotillas up, but in preperation for that I've begun to collect troops for operations with the navy under the command of Ambrose Burnside. Our first objective will be Savannah. I'll need to take Fort Pulaski before I can manage to do so, but collecting a sufficient division and with enough naval gunfire it shouldn't be a problem.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:53 am

Early September 1861

Economy: Rich on cash, good on war supply, still struggling with conscript companies.

Small armouries built in Indianapolis and Bloomington, Indiana. (+19 Ammo Supply)

Reinforcements: 2 x Infantry Brigade (NJ, PA)

Virginia Theater

Time to make some noise. I've ordered McDowell and Hamilton to advance on Manassas to bring Beauregard to combat. I've kept them on a defensive footing, best to let the Confederates attack against my untested units.

I've got a large mass of troops getting ready behind my lines. They'll move to Philadelphia where Ambrose Burnside is assembling an ampibious assault division with a strong contingent of artillery and elite infantry such as the newly raised Irish Brigade.

Some good news and some bad.

Bad first. Kentucky has seceeded even though last turn Polk attacked Paducah on the western edge of the state, taking the city and capturing my strong river flotilla - including an ironclad there. In one odd bug I've also lost Admiral Foote, who has become a Conferate general. Roberts has moved him to New Orleans and will for the sake of gameplay be considered either dead or captured.

In good news Kentucky is still basically mine. Polk controls the western edge past the Tennessee river, and they still control Lexington but this isn't a huge problem. I'll soon have control over the mighty Mississippi as those ironclads building at St. Louis are now active and heading down the river to relieve Cairo from the blockading fleet.

The force is so powerful that it should easily crush the enemy forces which intelligence tells me is currently only eight gunboats total (each gunboat unit has two gunboats in it, as shown by the ticks on the upper lefthand side of the unit portrait). Roberts will probably bring my captured units over to help out, but that gives him only a slight lead in gunboats and a 4 to 1 disadvantage in ironclads. It would be best if I had Foote, but I'll deal.

In Tennessee my worry over keeping Nashville has ended. McClellan has managed to take Gallatin - seems I can count on the man when he isn't doing anything overly important, like taking on the Army of Northern Virginia. Following up behind him is Lew Wallace who is now at Bowling Green and should probably act as a strategic reserve for the advanced forces. I'm leaving 1,500 men at Gallatin. McClellan will advance to Nashville, but will split a brigade of Ohio volunteers off with Fitzjohn Porter to take Clarksville. After that I'll ponder what to after that, but my first goal will probably be to take Forts Henry and Donelson.

Lyon will remain at Cairo until my naval forces sweep everything out. After that his goal should be to move into Kentucky west of the Tennessee river and engage Polk while retaking Paducah and moving on Columbus and eventually Island 10. After that we can ponder moving south aggressively, but not before I can build up some larger forces. It may be time to call a draft.

Missouri is now essentially free of enemy forces besides some besides some cavalry at Charleston which has been forced back from raiding in the north via some aggressive pursuit. Price has been forced back to Fayetteville but he finds the city blocked by my cavalry which has returned and entered the city. They've placed the city under siege but Blenker is still keeping the pressure on and is ordered to relieve my noble cavalry. Fremont and 7,000 more men are behind him at Springfield having allowed my supply convoys to move forward as far as the Arkansas border. Taking Fayetteville and rebuilding the depot is now my prime objective in this area.

Naval Campaign

Pensacola is still blockaded.

At Philadelphia I've almost completed the assembling of a massive blockading fleet that will be bound for Savannah. Several dozen ships will be involved in the effort.

As a special note, next turn will see holy shit my economy rocks output

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:53 am

Late September 1861

Economy: As you can see my supply stocks are a wee bit lower than they were last turn, and for good reasons. All industrialization has stopped for now, but I did improve my rail transport capacity by a fair margin in the last turn as it will be needed soon.

Draft: Partial Mobilization (524 Conscript Companies)
Political Options: Cotton Blockade! (+9 British Engagement Points, +15 Union National Morale)

Reinforcements: 23 x Infantry Brigades (1 NY, 4 PA, 4 IN, 2 IA, 4 IL, 2 KY, 1 WI, 2 OH, 2 MO, 1 DE), 4 10 Pdr Artillery (2 NY, 2 IL), 3 x Ironclad (MD)

Virginia Theater

McDowell and Hamilton have made it to Manassas but the enemy hasn't taken the bait, as Beauregard is still standing behind his fortifications. This isn't too bad a problem though, I've now been informed that he is severly over the command point limit and is incurring a 35% penalty. Roberts may reform the divisions when he gets his turn, but I'll go with the idea that he won't and order Hamilton to make a cautious attack. I've also split Milroy off into his own independent Corps again and ordered him to attack as well. If all goes to plan they'll attack at the same time with support from McClellan and hopefully push Beauregard back or at least bloody him. Likely I'll be defeated, but thats too be expected from the Army of the Potomac for awhile. Besides soon I'll be in winter quarters.

In West Virginia the first Confederate cavalry raids of the war have started. Roberts has put Parkersburg under siege, likely just to cut the rails but I'll brook nothing of the sort and dispatch two cavalry regiments from Hurlbut's division at Grafton to deal with them.

Hooker has been dispatched from the Shenandoah to accompany Burnside on the expedition to Savannah. He's eventually given command of the leading division with the full Irish brigade, a New Yorker regiment, the Marines, and five battery's of artillery. Clearly the most powerful force I've put into battle yet. They'll move to Fort Pulaski with the aim of attacking it early next month. After that I'll rest up and then move to blockade the city or maybe take it entirely.

McClellan has made it to Nashville. He's got 12,000 men at the city and will remain there, probably over winter - though McClellan will maybe be moved to Virginia to take over the Army of the Potomac.

Lew Wallace has garrisoned Bowling Green with a brigade of Indiana volunteers after crushing a militia brigade near the city.

Up north near the Ohio border I've got a brigade of Michigan volunteers led by Howe moving on Clarksburg. It may be too late in the year to properly besiege the city, but Howe should have sufficient forces to assault and take the city, then move back to Ashland for the winter.

McClernand has almost reached Louisville, once there he'll move on Lexington with as much speed as possible to take the city and reclaim the heart of Kentucky for the Union.

Once I take Clarksville near Forts Henry and Donelson I'll likely pull back to Bowling Green for the year. The last thing I want to do is hurt my chances by engaging in a siege during the winter.

Blenker has arrived at Fayetteville and is keeping Price on the run as he's retreated back to Fort Smith. I'll keep Blenker moving forward as the pace doesn't seem to be hurting him. Price is on the run and I'll keep him like that. Fremont is now behind him and moving up to Fayetteville where a depot is now being built. His rear is being held by militia at Springfield and a newly raised brigade of loyal Missourians.

At St. Louis Henry Halleck has got a small brigade forming, but not much in the way of fighting power. Units recently raised throughout the west will move to his location to be trained and eventually moved forward to support next years offensives down the Mississippi.

At Cairo the best news of all. For one my ironclads have done well...

One gunboat sunk and the rest running from the fight at the sight of my ironbeasts. The ironclad Chickasaw seems to have led the fight since its nearly out of ammo. I've left the ironclad Winnebago behind, along with the eight gunboats that were at Cairo to defend Cape Girardeau. The rest of my naval forces are moving to trap the enemy naval forces at Paducah. I'm bringing along a special surprise for my dear friend Roberts - Ulysses S. Grant and 8,000 Union troops. The Confederates will likely put up a stiff fight but with Grant at my side it shouldn't be a problem to force them back and take the city and trap, hopefully, their naval forces. Polk seems to have left and has been replaced by Benjamin McCulloch.

Naval Campaign

Everythings been said, we embark for Savannah on the morning.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:54 am

Early October 1861

Economy: Got more war supply than I need, and a good amount of money. Still not got that many men.

Reinforcements: 4 x 12 Pdr Artillery (MD), 4 x Militia (OH)

Virginia Theater

My forces retreated from Manassas, I noticed that having been there for two weeks already that Roberts would likely move Johnston over into the fight and so got out of dodge. Good idea since the new turn puts him with Beauregard at Manassas. McDowell and my troops have successfully made it back to Alexandria. My own fault.

I'll defend the region, Roberts foolishly told me that he was making a big push this turn when he sent me his turn file. So I'll assume that with Beauregard and Johnston in Manassas he'll go after Alexandria. Though I won't abandon Harper's Ferry as that may just be a ruse to disarm me.

McClellan remains at Nashville. He will remain with a division there while Humphreys moves to Clarksville so that I can storm their defenses. I have done so with the 4,500 men I have there already, but the Confederates have a brigade inside the city and I'd rather be safe than sorry. Not like I can expect the enemy to march on Nashville with a large force this turn.

At Evansville in Indiana my troops are now active and I order them to construct a depot, this will replace the one lost at Vincennes and help to allieviate the potential supply problems I have into northern Tennessee.

McClernand is also advancing on Lexington, now with nearly 6,000 men. Two forming brigades are left behind at Louisville.

Grant never moved away from Cairo. I think I fucked up my orders. Regardless perhaps it is for the best as bad weather will soon be here. My ironclads and gunboats have put Paducah under blockade so the enemy can't do anything this turn naval wise. Grant will move to Charleston, MO, instead with Sumters division.

Over in Arkansas I've decided its also time to give Blenker a rest. He hasn't reached Fort Smith, but I've ordered him back to Fayetteville to meet up with Fremont. That'll give us a 12,000 man invasion force to aim for Little Rock next year. Probably boosted to 15,000 after reinforcements.

Price can retreat all he wants. I'll just crush him next year. It's unlikely that Roberts will be able to reinforce him much. In contrast I can advance down to Little Rock with a rather secure supply line, and then spring UP the Mississippi towards Memphis to complete a rather amibitious pincer movement against my southern foe.

At the same time I'll be making my best efforts to reinforce everyone in this region. It's my No. 1 reinforcement goal, with only the Virginia theatre competing. Moving forward with McClellan in Tennessee might be nice, but wholely secondary to going down the Mississippi.

Naval Campaign

Hooker is now off Fort Pulaski and is ordered to attack!

He's got a good sized division with plenty of artillery and shouldn't be too hurt as a result.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:55 am

Late October 1861

Economy: I'm roleplaying U.S. Grant and therefore and pretty fucking drunk. Its in my best interests to review my turn tommorow and I will do so. As the screenshot shows the same situation is in play - mucho money and war supply, no conscript companies.

Reinforcements: 2 x Militia (KY), 3 x Ironclad (NY), 2 x Blockade Fleet (1 NY, 1 MD)

Virginia Theater

I would be a liar if I described what happened in early October as anything but stiff fighting. Roberts threw Beauregard and Johnston at me and in two battles I threw them back.

Beauregard was first defeated. Soon thereafter Johnston attacked, perhaps hoping that I was disorganized or unable to defend against a second attack. Proved him wrong in a decisive manner.

While I've won two important victories several of my divisions are now strongly hurt including the 2nd and 5th (Hunter & Miles). My men will remain at Alexandria to refit and draw reinforcements. Movement against Manassas is no longer an option in 1861, though I'm glad the enemy drew almost 11,500 casualties against my 5,000 or so. The Confederacy can't support that kind of hurting, while I can easily.

While I moved McClellan north Roberts had newly arrived Albert Sidney Johnston move on Nashville. This calls for a counteroffensive. Clarksville is unimportant in the grand scheme of things, Nashville isn't. Everyman is ordered south. I can only hope my garrison in Nashville holds.

McClernand is now at Lexington, though he can't assault it as of now. Better news comes from Clarksburgh where my Michigan troops have taken the city.

My position in northern Arkansas is fully codified. Blenker is moving back towards Springfield, but only with a brigade now, as he's tasked with opening fully a supply line to Fayetteville. Fremont will remain in Arkansas to coordinate an offensive to Little Rock.

Meanwhile Grant has been spurned by a renewed Confederate naval force on the Mississippi. Okay, that'll just force Roberts to use more treasure on the river. If he wants to engage in a river war I'll go with that. I've got more than enough resources to outbuild him three or four times over even without Foote.

Naval Campaign

Fort Pulaski has fallen. My Marines and the 28th Masachusetts Regiment have taken casualties, but they haven't been so severe. The fort is taken and a garrison put into it. Hooker will move back into the ships and move to another target. Roberts has seen my movements and I've now got intelligence that he's reinforced Savannah so a landing isn't in order. I'll just blockade the city.

I think my next goal may be New Orleans.

----------------------------------------------------------

Just an update as I wait for Roberts to give me his next turn orders.

As you can see the Confederate morale is higher than mine, which is to be expected and I am supposed to get some free morale next year through a series of events.

Right now the foreign help meter is going up faster than I would have liked. The blockade sort of backfired against me besides lifting my morale a bit. I can keep it going any higher by taking the lead in either national morale (unlikely) or by taking a victory point lead (much more possible).

Nashville is contested right now because Albert Sidney Johnston is besieging - and will probably attack the city next turn. McClellan has received his Army command and is now commanding the Army of the Tennessee to attempt to stop him from doing so.

ImageImageImage
Army of the Tennessee

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:56 am

Early November 1861

Economy:
Standard Union economy - have ground away some of my money surplus, but I had to purchase some ironclads.

Reinforcements: 4 x Militia (IN), 3 x 10 Pdr Parrott (KY), 6 x River Ironclad (KY)

Virginia Theater

Things are now settled in the east, presumably for the winter. I've inflicted 11,000 casualties on the rebels so it'll take time for them to reequip and rearm and I'm not going to push forward at this time.

Further forces are making their way up the eastern seaboard to join my main army at Alexandria. Already 5,000 men are at Washington and ready to join my divisions to bring them all up to their maximum. Some will go to the Shenandoah, but not many of them. That'll give me just over 40,000 men under McDowell. Burnside has another 10,000 men at Philadelphia which I can call on, but he may be better used with Hooker against say.....New Orleans.

Bad news out of Nashville. A. Johnston took the city early in the turn and while McClellan did well - how amusing is it that both McClellan and McDowell are able to get the better of Confederate forces in 1861? - he hasn't been able to force out the enemy from Nashville. However in an extreme rarity McClellan is active this turn and can attack. Damn the torpedos! Full speed ahead!

Up north the coming winter is forcing McClernand back from Lexington as he still isn't active and can't assault the city when it would easily get me the depot. He'll retreat and I can get to forming new divisions to send down to help McClellan.

Nothing much going. Fremont is still staying at Fayetteville. Price is watching me. Up in St. Louis forces are going to be collected and then shuttled forward to either Fremont or Grant.

Naval Campaign

I've taken Farragut off his blockade of the James river, leaving that to Dahlgren and instead am moving him to Philadelphia with about half the ships that were blockading. Once there they will meet up with a mass of finished ironclads and other ships to pick up Burnside. Burnside will then board and be shuttled down to the Florida Keys where he'll meet up with Hooker.

Once there they will reembark, move to Louisiana and assault Fort St. Philip and Fort Jackson to open the way to New Orleans.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:57 am

Late November 1861

Economy:
Less money this turn, spent more money than war supply last turn with some non-frontline forces.

Reinforcements: 4 x Signal Company (MD), 1 x River Gunboat (MO), 4 x River Transport (MO), 4 x Ocean Transport Flotilla

Virginia Theater

Movement of men is of prime concern right now. Over in the Shenandoah, Mansfield's division has received some significant reinforcements by way of the Old Brigade. This brings my Shenandoah Corps up to exactly 24,000 men.

Another 8,000 or so men are now at Washington as well and they'll be forwarded to Alexandria to join the Army of the Potomac.

McClernand has made his way back to Louisville. Along with the mass of raised brigades that have assembled there I now have just over 23,000 men at that location. They should be well supplied there through the winter.

I've also abandoned the attack on Nashville due to bad weather and split my force to make a rapid strike at Clarksville with McClellan and Wallace. FitzJohn Porter was ordered to move to Bowling Green and made it there, but left before McClellan. In the intervening time Johnston struck and inflicting a minor defeat on McClellan as he was moving across the Cumberland.

He retreats north to Clarksville and is now ordered to assault it, winter has stil not hit this section of Kentucky and taking the city will give me shelter from the elements, at least until they can move to Bowling Green.

While Grant is readying his men at Cairo my river crews engaged the Confederate fleet once again last turn, emerging victorious and sinking another two rebel gunboats. This should leave the enemy with twenty gunboats and a single river ironclad as of now. In comparison I have twenty gunboats and four river ironclads at Cairo, another independent ironclad on the Ohio, six ironclads building at Louisville and two more gunboats building at St. Louis.

Otherwise nothing going in this area of the continent.

Naval Campaign

Blockades continue at James river, Savannah, and Pensacola. Many of my ironclads are now complete and I'm sending them to my blockade fleets already in place to give them some punch in case Roberts decides to attack them.

Hooker and his associated naval fleet have arrived at Fort Jefferson to rest and await the arrival of Burnside and Farragut. Once they have assembled and are ready to move - probably in late December - they'll set sail for the mouth of the Mississippi.

I won't assault the forts once there. Doing so will take too long and warn Roberts of what I'm doing. Farragut will sail pass the forts and move to New Orleans immediately disembarking the two divisions and an extra brigade to take the city. Only then will my men turn back to take the forts. Hookers division and Meighers Excelsior Brigade will be tasked with doing this while Burnside - and his very large division - will remain on the defense at New Orleans.

After that I'm going to roll with what is available. One choice option is to take a large brigade and strike at Galveston and then march on Houston - a limited objective that would rather quickly bring a good portion of Texas back under government control. At the same time a government force out of the southwest could be used to march on Dallas.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:58 am

Early December 1861

Economy:
Nothing much this turn. Though as you can see my national morale over the last dozen or so turns has been making its way upwards.

Reinforcements: 4 x 10 Pdr Parrott (MO), 2 x Sharpshooters (MO)
Replacements: 4 x Supply Train

Virginia Theater

My reinforcements from up the seaboard have now been integrated into the Army of the Potomac. I now have five very strong divisions - two in each Corps and one with McDowell as a central reserve. Each division has 6,500 to 8,000 men and have larger than normal artillery contingents - the going rule is to have a division with two artillery units while I've given my boys a full four batteries - boosting their combat power tremendously.

My Corps in the Shenandoah is not nearly so well off, with larger than average divisions composed with large contingents of militia still. I'm looking at transfering one of the three divisions to Alexandria. The one selected is under McCall, who has a reformed militia only division after I work out some transfers, another 4,000 men for McDowell.

Louisville now sees three fully formed divisions - except for some artillery which will need three turns to get in shape - each at about 7,000 to 8,000 men strength. They'll remain there even though I'd like to send McClernand to Bowling Green immediately to assist Little Mac, I don't think my current supply network can handle more men at Bowling Green even though I've just set up a depot there.

Down on the Tennessee border open warfare is still ongoing. Johnston has advanced out of Nashville and retaken Gallatin - my brigade of Indiana volunteers being totally destroyed in the process. The same thing happens in reverse at Clarksville where Lew Wallace leads his division to a successful assault on the town. I won't garrison the town, instead Little Mac is ordered back to Bowling Green. Roberts might just be moving to eject me from that region now. If I get McClellan to join up with FitzJohn he might be able to thrash Johnston.

Lew Wallace has also now gained enough seniority to be promoted and has 3-1-2 stats now due to experience points giving him an additional +1 to his defensive stats. He's done well so as soon as possible I'll promote the man.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Grant has taken to the bottle.

Naval Campaign

Burnside and Farragut have nearly reached the Florida Keys. The James river blockade has gotten a few new ironclads as help, but thats all.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:58 am

Late December 1861

Economy:
Too much war supply to count, not enough money (to spend with war supply), and I'm trying to build up a conscript company buffer before I start spree spending again.

Reinforcements: 1 x Army HQ
Replacements: 2 x Field Artillery, 2 x Heavy Artillery, 1 x Skirmisher

Virginia Theater

I've done some transfers throughout the east. Henry Halleck has taken the Shenandoah Corps under his command and Banks has been moved to Boston. I did this for two reasons.

1) Halleck is a terrible field general, but he does allow me to get rid of my militia units by training them up to regular line infantry regiments each turn - two each turn.
2) Banks is just as bad as Halleck on the battlefield and doesn't have the trait which allows him to improve militia. He can however recruit more conscript companies in large cities. To Boston he does go.

McCall has also managed to get to McDowell.

McClellan has made it back to Bowling Green and is now in touch with FitzJohn. With the new depot supplies are flowing down the Green River without any problem and McClellan can now look at bringing up further divisions. I'll be bringing up McClernand this turn as a result, via the Ohio and Green rivers.

Johnston has taken shelter in Gallatin, if I were aggressive I could trap him there. It should be obvious to Roberts that you only need to be in a region with a city you control to avoid weather penalties, not inside it. If he stay there long enough I'll endevour to trap and destroy him. At the very least some ambitious ironclads might just sail past Forts Henry and Donelson to blockade the Cumberland.

Grant bids me to send more whisky. I'm sending him new Michigan troops instead.

Naval Campaign

Farragut has arrived at Fort Zachary. He and Burnside don't seem to have lost any cohesion due to the nearly three week trip down the coast and our troops still seem fresh. I reload my troops, including Hookers and send them over to Fort Pickens along the Gulf coast, that'll take a further two weeks and after that we'll go for the target. By late January I hope to have troops occupying Louisiana.

Burnside's division

Just as a note - my invasion force comprises about 16,000 men. I don't expect too heavy of an initial Confederate attack against me in the region. Not only will Roberts probably be low on troops able to move around quickly, but the nearest supply depot apart from New Orleans is at Jackson or Vicksburg - well up the Mississippi.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:59 am

Early January 1862

Economy:
I've got a lot more money this turn - which is odd. I can't quite seem to figure out why I got so much more, considering I never called for any taxes or anything. War supplies are still piling up and conscript companies are resting at about the same numbers.

Reinforcements: 2 x Infantry Brigade (KS, IA), 2 x 6 Pdr Artillery (WV)

Confederate Movements: 6% War Bonds, Measured Exceptional Taxes, Call for Volunteers.

I've taken these moves to mean that Roberts is probably very poor coming out of 1861 and needs the extra taxes to beef up his forces with some artillery and such. Volunteers to replace the losses the enemy has taken over the last year.

Virginia Theater

The most notable addition to the theatre at the start of the year is 36 new generals added to my pool at Washington - a good thing since I've been running out with the amount of divisions I've assembled. Of these I've set three out to act as better divisional commanders along the front.

Benjamin Prentiss and Phil Kearny are sent to Cairo, Illinois to serve with Grant. Thomas L. Crittenden is sent to Louisville to take over a division in the Army of Kentucky.

At Alexandria I've rejiggered my Corps formations as well as I've gotten signal groups out to McDowell, allowing him to have four divisions directly under him without many problems. That gives him 35,000 or so troops under his command with 21,000 under Milroy.

I'm also sending additional generals out to the Shenandoah and Alexandria to get better men in charge.

McClellan now has McClernand with him at Bowling Green - now three divisions there. We'll be bringing in more men when I can and replacing McClellan when I can. Two divisions remain at Louisville. Those men will come under the command of George H. Thomas, famously known for his Confederate killing stare....

He's at Cincinnati right now and is being promoted to two-stars so he'll move to Louisville next turn.

Grant has ceased writing and I fear he may have found the whisky reserves at Cairo.

I've raised infantry brigades at Kansas and Iowa to help bolster some divisions which will partake in the attack towards Little Rock. I also want to get rid of Fremont leading this expedition, replacing him with an available two-star general, perhaps Lew Wallace if he gets promoted.

Naval Campaign

Bad weather has harmed one of my blockade fleets moving to station in the Atlantic. It's been ordered back to port to engage in repairs, leaving my blockade total at 30% down from its height of 45% or so.

My naval forces are off Fort Pickens. I doubt Roberts still knows what I'm doing, though he may have wondered where Burnside and Hooker are. I've now ordered Farragut to move into the Mississippi delta.

I haven't gotten the two fleets together so I've changed up my plan a bit. Burnside and Meigher will assault the forts while Hooker takes New Orleans. By that time Roberts will probably have started moving men south to retake the city if possible, but I hope he realizes the futility of the idea. I don't intend to move very forward of the city anyways. Baton Rouge is a good target, but not worth a quick march with risk. I'll need to bring in more men for that, especially since my plan is to use Meighers brigade to land in Texas.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:01 am

1861 Overview

1861 was a good year for the Union - if you discount the country going into a civil war. On the whole I think I did a good job of keeping Union morale up, losses down, and made some significant strategic and tactical advances along the entire front.

In the east I managed to form some very strong armies based in the Shenandoah and along the Potomac with a strength of roughly 25,000 and 55,000 respectively. The one major battle, the First Alexandria, was a resounding Union victory. The Confederates lost 11,500 men to our 5,000. The defeat rendered the Army of Northern Virginia inoperable for the rest of the year as both sides rearmed, brought in new soldiers, and fortified their positions.

In the west Union forces made great strides, especially in Missouri where the state is now in firm Union control in the larger towns. While there is still support for the Confederacy in the southern part of the state its railways, transit hubs, and towns are in government control. Even a part of northern Arkansas is in Union control, as the destruction of enemy depots by cavalry has destroyed the enemy ability to forstall my advances.

Kentucky was likewise secured early and while we observed strict neutrality - not attacking centers of Confederate support the state legislature declared its support for the Confederacy after Polk attacked Paducah. The western part of the state continues in active rebellion along with some resistance around Lexington but this will likely be extinguished early in 1862.

Our naval campaign likewise went well, with patrols being established in the James river, off Savannah and Pensacola.

Plans for 1862

My plans for 1862 are ambitious, but not overly so. I have three general aims.

1) Continue the Anaconda plan. While it wasn't noted earlier I am taking the general shape of my plan from that historical basis, working to strongly blockade the Confederate shores and strike where weakness is seen.

The first goal of this plan in 1862 will be the invasion of Louisiana by forces under Hooker and Burnside. This will destroy the Confederacy's main outlet to the Gulf, imposing a defacto blockade on the entire river system, and will also impose greater shortages of war supplies on the enemy. My expedition force is roughly 20-25,000 men and will be increased as is allowed.

Further operations will take place along the entire coast to destroy vulnerable sections of the Confederacy and take them piecemeal. Texas for instance will be largely cut off by the capture of New Orleans, or at least its rail network threatened. Plans are already in place to descend on this most western of rebel states to retake two of its main cities and largest seaport. Targets in Florida and many of the forts - such as those on Cape Hatteras are also thought to be opportune targets.

2) A great push south down the Mississippi.

Early on in the year this will be a very hard slog. As of now we've identified two primary southern armies. One under Leonidas Polk is at Paducah and is watching the movements of U.S. Grant at Cairo. As of now we've recovered our dominance on the Mississippi and this will allow Grant to regain the initiative and move to open the Mississippi towards Memphis - our first goal being to take Island 10.

Further east the main Army of Tennessee under McClellan is to attempt to bring Albert Sidney Johnston to battle along the Cumberland, aiming to regain Nashville and move into central Tennessee. While under the nominal control of McClellan effect control of these forces I hope to give to George H. Thomas, as behind Grant he is my best general in the west at the moment.

Subsidiary movements will be made by Fremont to move down towards Little Rock. I cannot really anticipate any further movement past there by his forces as taking that city may strain the supply lines from Missouri unduly under the Mississippi can be opened by Grant.

3) Vigorous campaigns by the Army of the Potomac.

I was content to do little with McDowell last year, but should it be possible he'll be ditched for someone with a better strategic rating. Our goal isn't necessarily to defeat the Army of Northern Virginia - though that would be nice - but to keep it contained, worrying about any potential attack towards Richmond and keeping reinforcements moving to the region and away from my other targets. While many of my best generals will be used elsewhere I do intend to find and promote good divisional and corps level commanders. Divisional commanders who gain experience for instance will go from a 3-1-1 rating at level 0 experience level to 3-2-2 at level 2 experience. Sustained fighting will improve my generals and the troops under them, though defeat may harm my national morale.

If at all possible another way to threaten Richmond - in this case getting fairly close to the city with troops to avoid losses of national morale for not seeming to move closer to my goal - will be main. A Peninsular campaign for instance being a good idea.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:02 am

Late January 1862

Economy:
The economy is chugging along nicely. As you can see the manpower I got last turn has been larged used up already by recruiting new brigades.

Our war supplies have gone up as of now with the replacement of Simon Cameron at the war department.

Reinforcements: 5 x Infantry Brigade (2 IL, NY, WI, MD), 2 x Gatling Gun (NY), 1 Army HQ (MD), 4 x River Transport (KY)
Replacements: A few line infantry replacements.

Virginia Theater

Virginia is solid, nothing is going. I've taken some divisions away from my old commanders and given them to James B. Ricketts, William H. French, and William F. Smith. All solid divisional commanders. I'm assigning some of my spare low ranking divisional commanders that spawned in Washington to border cities and large garrisons such as Baltimore or Pittsburgh.

For now the next few months, until say April, will be me reinforcing my main army and looking to form some solid corp structures.

George Thomas has been promoted and has now taken over command of the Army of Kentucky. While winter still grips the region he's moving to Lexington with Crittenden's division to make a surprise assault on the city.

McClellan remains at Bowling Green, he'll receive no large reinforcements for the forseeable future. However, the region around Gallatin is no longer suffering from harsh winter weather and I'm going to gamble that it remains so. I'll put the city to siege and make Roberts attack me to prevent getting bottled in the city and destroyed over time.

The supply situation continues to get better for my forces at Springfield and Fayetteville. Supplies are flowing down from Lexington and I now have several months of food for my troops.

Naval Campaign

Who cares about the rest of the war right now. Farragut has made his way into the Mississippi delta, parking off Forts Jackson and St. Philip. Another group of ships has made its way off New Orleans and we are ready to move our forces onto the shore. Both Burnside and Hooker are thankfully active, so they can move to assault immediately. I can't unload Meigher at the same time though, attacking St. Philip, the weaker of the forts, won't occur for a few more weeks. But this shouldn't unduly affect my supply situation.

One problem has emerged however, Roberts has moved the ironclad CSS Tennessee into the same zone as my New Orleans invasion force. I shouldn't be in too much trouble, though I would have prefered to have some ironclads along for the ride.

In other news, my blockade percentage has gone way up to 50% as New Orleans is blockaded, and will fall next turn. Recon tells me the rebels have only militia in the city.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:03 am

Early February 1862

Economy:
The war is going well as you can see - we've gotten up to 100 morale. No real changes to our war supplies, money, conscripts, etc.

Reinforcements: 2 x Infantry Brigade (2 NY), 4 x 10 Pdr Artillery (NY)

Virginia Theater

Boring, I've seen some reinforcements going to Beauregard so that's good.

Thomas has managed to get to Lexington and has successfully assaulted the town.

The thousand man garrison was swept aside with ease and both Crittenden and Thomas were commended on their quick strike at the Confederate center of the state.

Down in Tennessee the weather has held and now McClellan is holding Johnston inside Gallatin - a siege it is!

The western theatre remains rather solid. The Confederate fleet has reappeared off Cairo and I'll sally forth to send them packing.

Sherman has now appeared with Grant though, beware rebels!

Naval Campaign

New Orleans is mine! The Confederates had only two infantry regiments in the city, no protection at all against Hooker. His division is badly banged up though and won't be doing anything for awhile. Hooker is also being promoted.

Burnside has also taken Fort Jackson, he took heavy losses doing so though - 750 men - more than the entire Confederate garrison. But it was worth it.

-------------------------------------------------------

Late February 1862

Economy:
Things are still good, though my money supplies are going down.

Industrialization was restarted this turn. Lexington, KY managed to increase its production of common goods, and a new ironworks has been built in Brooklyn.

Reinforcements: 3 x Infantry Brigade (NY, DE, PA)

Virginia Theater

Still the same old in northern Virginia. Milroy has been relieved of his corps however, as Edwin Sumner has been automatically promoted and moved over from Cairo to take over that job.

Kentucky & Tennessee

Thomas is now moving back to Louisville from Lexington as a garrison is now in place in that city. Furthermore Don Carlos Buell has appeared in Cincinnati and is also moving to Louisville, he'll be a fair army commander once I can get another army HQ over there.

McClellan retreats

Slightly to the south in northern Tennessee bad weather has now returned to Gallatin. I can't afford to get my men bottled up and suffering from the weather just to have them rest at a depot for a month later on, plus it'll allow Johnston to come out and thrash me in a week or two. McClellan will move back to Bowling Green, but he'll rip up the tracks while he moves back.

I've reduced Asboth's division at St. Louis by more than half and sent 4,000 of them down to Cairo to help form a fourth division under Benjamin Prentiss.

Nothing else however.

Louisiana Campaign

Meigher has successfully assaulted Fort St. Philip.

Some harsh losses for the Excelsior Brigade, but nothing they can't recover from. He'll remain in the fort while Farragut shuttles Burnside to New Orleans - we'll need those two divisions under Hooker to keep up a strong defense of the city.

In related news we've received word that the French have invaded Mexico.

Not the best of things, but since they've invaded they can't look to attack me as well.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:03 am

Early March 1862

Economy:
Things are still going well - all quiet on the economic front and all that. My manpower has accumulated to some degree as I neglected to recruit last turn.

Some more industrialization this turn as well. A small armoury in Newart, and increased cartridge and supply production in Port Huron and Lansing in Michigan.

Virginia Theater

Things are now thawing off all along the front, but least so in northern Virginia where winter conditions still gnaw at my troops.

In a great piece of news however we've finally adopted the corps structure, and I've assigned Halleck and Sumner to be corps commanders underneath McDowell. (You can tell that they are Corps of the Army of the Potomac by noting the diamonds)

As of right now the Army of the Potomac consists of the following....

Army of the Potomac (Irvin McDowell, 22,100 men)
- 1st Division (William F. Smith, 8,000 men)
- 5th Division (William M. French, 7,400 men)
- 9th Division (Samuel P. Heintzelman, 6,700 men)

Sumner's Corps (Edwin Sumner, 18,200 men)

- 2nd Division (Daniel Hunter, 7,800 men)
- 6th Division (James B. Ricketts, 6,800 men)
- 26th Division (Daniel Butterfield, 3,600 men)

Shenandoah Corps (Henry Halleck, 18,700 men)

- 12th Division (Erasmus D. Keyes, 7,800 men)
- 25th Division (Isaac Stevens, 2,500 men)
- Mansfield's Division (Joseph K. Mansfield, 8,400 men)

Total Combat Strength of AoP: 59,000 men

These totals are increasing ever turn, but I'm aiming for a total of 70,000 men by mid-year.

I'll be looking to move forward towards Manassas sometime soon, but for now we'll continue our current trend of recruiting and moving men forward.

Kentucky & Tennessee

Don Carlos Buell has taken control of what was the Army of Kentucky and is now just Buell's Corps - once I can he'll be made a Corps under McClellan and the Army of the Tennessee. I've detached most of his troops though for the moment. Thomas and Crittenden are moving south to join with McClellan - he'll be my effective head of the Army of the Tennessee and conduct most of the operations.

Behind my lines I need to open the raillines from Louisville to Bowling Green. The regions in between are largely supporters of the Confederacy. Cavalry is being sent to secure the region around Glasgow, Brownsville, Munfordville, and Elizabethtown. Humphrey's with a small division will look to secure the region around the region of Meade. Once I get control of these territories I can eliminate the longer path through the Ohio and Green rivers - which is how Thomas is coming to McClellan.

McClellan will remain where he is for now.

I've ordered Grant to get the move on. David D. Porter, with the entirety of my Mississippi river flotilla - 22 gunboats and 5 ironclads - to move off Columbus, Kentucky. Another fleet of ironclads coming from Louisville will blockade Paducah and keep any naval forces from interefering with my operations.

At the same time Grant, with three divisions under Sherman, Prentiss, and Kearny - three of my best men - will land at Columbus, taking the city and largely cutting Polk off from supplies coming up from Memphis. After that I can look to force him into a battle.

I've left recently arrived John Pope and the very small division under Wood to garrison Cairo and act as a force that can come up behind Grant if need be.

Elsewhere Fremont has been given an Army headquarters - despite my dislike of him. Once I can he'll be given a two-star general of competance to do the actual work. When things get more pleasant I can advance on Fort Smith regardless.

In an odd bit of news the Confederates attempted to attack me in Tucson - just a single militia unit and that failed miserably as I've been bringing in line regiments from the west coast to that city under W.H.L. Wallace - my idea is to form a division and march on Dallas.

Louisiana Campaign

Roberts has brought what I assume is almost all of his Mississippi fleet off New Orleans - including three ironclads, hastily put into service and only half strength. I'm going to give battle to them on the river - I shouldn't have much problem doing so - and Burnside's division will be put into New Orleans giving us a firm grasp on the area.

I'm also going to look at throwing an Army HQ into the region, perhaps under Benjamin Butler if my sense of humour allows me too.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:04 am

Late March 1862

Economy:
I'm slightly rich right now as we floated some war bonds. Conscripts are once again all used up, but I've got no problems with war supplies.

Industrialization is kaput for now.

Financial: 5% Bond Issues (325,000 Dollars)

Reinforcements: 6 x Cavalry (2 NY, 2 PA, 2 MA), 2 x Horse Artillery (CT), 1 x Infantry Brigade
Replacements: 7 x Line Infantry

Virginia Theater

Wish this bad weather would let off now. Sumner's Corps is now fully up to snuff and has about 35,000 men in total now (less if we discount non-combat staff). Butterfield's division has now been increased to a total of 7,600 men - lots of stiff New Jersey and Delaware fighting men - and I've also moved over the 13th division under Morell, itself with 7,900 men.

Behind the lines as you can see I've raised six cavalry regiments - at full strength that'll be 3,600 cavalry - along with two regiments of horse cavalry - twenty-four light guns. I'll try and shave off some extra cavalry regiments I've got mixed into my Potomac divisions which should raise those numbers some more. This new division, all cavalry, will be placed in Sumner's Corps at some point. I'm not entirely sure how well a cavalry division will play, but it should really give me a strong scouting formation for my largest of stacks. It's probably best if I get Phil Kearny back over to take over this new division whenever possible - as he has cavalry unit bonuses.

Kentucky & Tennessee

Thomas and Crittenden are nearing McClellan but they are still on the Green river. They'll arrive and be used to form a seperate Corps under McClellan next turn. Thomas has a six rating for defense so against Johnston my aim will be to goad Roberts into attacking me.

The Kentucky theater

Don Carlos Buell is now moving south as well. I've taken some of the troops I detached from Humphreys and given them to Howe - who as you remember took Clarksburg last year with a brigade of Michigan troops. Buell will travel south along the road to Bowling Green, but slowly. Humphreys will move ahead of him and cavalry will screen the road - basically just to increase our military control and open a secure supply route to my forward base.

Grant has successfully, and without issue made it to Columbus and put it under siege - I rather foolishly forgot to order him to assault the city immediately last turn, so this'll give Roberts time to react to my movement. Grant will assault the city now, with naval fire support from Porter. Up at Paducah I'll order my ironclads to assault that city too, perhaps hitting Polk a little bit if he's camped by the shore.

U.S. Grant's command

The only problem with my plan is the fact that the naval move has really hit my units organization - they won't fight as well as they could if Polk moves decisvely towards Columbus. I'd consider going on the defensive and engaging in a siege for awhile, but Grant is much better on the offensive so I'll take the risk that he gets a stinging rebuke.

Over to the west Fremont has just gotten newly arrived William B. Franklin to take over a corps - he's nothing great for a general, but is better than Fremont. Franklin is being given one strong division under Jefferson C. Davis and will be given the one under Nathaniel Lyon when he arrives as well - about 10,000 men, which should suffice for a march on Little Rock, or so I hope.

Louisiana Campaign

Farragut smashed Buchanan and the Confederate naval flotilla off New Orleans - though it was again a disappointing victory, only one of their light gunboats was sunk. The rest have been damaged, but haven't gotten out of my sight yet. I've ordered my naval forces to pursue and maybe inflict some more punishment on them.

This wasn't the most notable battle in Louisiana last turn however.

As expected Roberts managed to counterattack, perhaps hoping to inflict another reverse on me like he did at Nashville last year. This time it didn't work, even though I was outnumbered 3 to 2. Hooker fought a sterling battle on the defensive and made the enemy pay for his arrogance. Regardless both the Union and Irish brigades are almost entirely decimated - almost all of their elements at only one-third strength.

In response to the attack I'm not moving Meigher over to Texas - I'll probably be cancelling that idea for this year. Instead he'll be moved to New Orleans where I hopefully will use him to assault nearby Fort Pike - it should guard any immediate Confederate advance along Lake Pontchartrain and from Mobile. At the same time I need to push my defensive lines out past New Orleans - probably to as far as Springfield. Hooker will, with Burnside, advance a bit in front of New Orleans to Pearl, just south of Springfield. That'll let Roberts know I'm still in the good and that I've got more left in my punch. A second more decisive battle against Ewell might be in the offing then.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:06 am

Early April 1862

Economy:
Another massive spending spree that doesn't dent my war supplies that much. Our rail and river supply systems need some improvement though - I want them at the 3/3 level so I'll need to take some time to build plenty of locomotives.

Draft: Partial Mobilization (570 Conscript Companies)
Financial: Measured Exceptional Taxes (374,000 Dollars)

Reinforcements: To form three divisions with their respective destinations.

Army of the Potomac
MA (1 x Infantry Brigade, 2 x 20 lb Parrott)
NY (4 x Infantry Brigade, 2 x 12 lb Artillery, 1 x Blockade Fleet)
PA (1 x Infantry Brigade)
MD (1 x Infantry Brigade, 1 x Blockade Fleet)

Army of the Tennessee
OH (2 x Infantry Brigade)
IN (1 x Infantry Brigade)
KY (2 x Infantry Brigade)
MI (1 x Infantry Brigade)

Grant's Command
MO (3 x Infantry Brigade)
IA (1 x Infantry Brigade)
IL (2 x Infantry Brigade, 2 x 12 lb Artillery)

Replacements: 2 x Line Infantry

Virginia Theater

As soon as possible I want to strike into Virginia, less to actually punch through, but to engage the enemy, keep him occupied and hopefully cause some serious losses. There are now 65,000 men around Alexandria with another 25,000 at Harper's Ferry - though not all of them are combat troops.

The Army of the Potomac moves forward

Sumner is active this turn, but McDowell is not. I will attack nonetheless - both groups are to proceed forward together at the same speed. Sumner is ordered to attack, but only in a conservative manner while McDowell will be around to help on the defensive if things get problematic.

Halleck will remain stationary at Harper's Ferry for all this, by now he's trained up all the men available at Harper's Ferry and so is fairly useless as a Corps commander - with a zero for a strategic rating. He's removed from command and sent to Louisville. General Berry takes over command my Shenandoah Corps until a more suitable replacement can be found or promoted.

Kentucky & Tennessee

Roberts sent some raiders into Kentucky over the last few weeks. They've taken the road from Louisville to Lexington and put the city to siege. I think it may have just been a stab at retaking the city if I hadn't kept it garrisoned and expert Roberts to rip up the rails instead of assaulting the city but I'm sending a cavalry regiment after them regardless.

Despite this Buell and Humphreys are still moving south to Bowling Green, marching slowly to keep up their organization. Thomas now has a very, very strong corps of 24,000 men which has almost as much combat punch as Sumners over in the Army of the Potomac.

In the replay I noticed some additional reinforcements sent to Johnston at Gallatin, but nothing significant. Even with them Thomas has about twice the hitting power of the Confederates - I'll be sending him south in a defensive posture to attempt to goad the enemy into attacking. When they do I'll shellack them.

McClellan will remain at Bowling Green and collect the forces coming from Louisville under Buell.

Grant successfully assaulted Columbus and took some river transports in doing so. Both Grant and Prentiss were congradulated on their victory. I'm not going to leave any garrison in the city, but instead will move north against Polk this turn - all of my divisions are now up in organization and ready to fight.

In Arkansas the weather has cleared and so I'ved ordered William Franklin to advance south. It'll probably take about three months to successfully advance, as I want to do it slow and without too much risk. I doubt Roberts will contest Fort Smith, but he'll stiffen around Little Rock. I intend to take Fort Smith as the first move by May.

Louisiana Campaign

Hooker has moved up to Pearl without issue and supplies are now flowing without issue to New Orleans. Hooker will remain where he is while Meigher is being brought up to New Orleans. Some reinforcements are already reaching my units left behind there to act as a garrison so it looks like everything is working great now.

I'll be looking to assemble a third division for the region as well. Ben Butler will come along as well.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:07 am

Late April 1862

Economy:
Nothing much to talk about, though as you can see our rail networks have improved quite a bit in the last two weeks and I've lost a lot of my money to purchases.

Replacements: 3 x Line Infantry, 2 x Artillery, 2 x Light Artillery, 2 x Heavy Artillery

Virginia Theater

We are off to the races gentlemen. The snow has melted and its been replaced with blood. Roberts made his first aggressive move last turn in the Shenandoah. Joe Johnston moved up from Winchester to Harper's Ferry, he's also got Jackson and J.E.B. Stuart as divisional commanders. I met them with Berry's Corps - three divisions in total as stated before. We fought them to a standstill for two days even though they had better commanders and slightly more men - 28,000 to my 25,000, along with more cannon.

On the first day the enemy ran headlong into my defenses - some of the best trench networks currently made - and got thrashed in the process, losing 5,500 men to my 3,700. The following day the battle was rejoined and again my forces put up a stiff fight, however the quality and quantity of the enemy forced Berry by the end of the day to retreat from his position north of the town, eventually crossing the Potomac and making his way towards Hancock.

Second Day of the Battle of Harper's Ferry

All three of the divisions under Berry were beat up in the two day battle. Most beat up is Keyes division - which prior to the battle had nearly 7,800 men, now down to 5,100. Mansfield's men suffered almost as much from 8,400 to 6,300. Isaac's division, the smallest of the three has also taken some hits but is the best composed division as of now. Most of my regiments have been badly damaged nonetheless losing 200-350 men each. Berry is now ordered to move away from Hancock back towards Hagerstown to screen Washington from any advance by Johnston - though I don't expect him too for at least a month or two, the enemy has been battered just as much as me.

At the same time Berry was fighting for his life at Harper's Ferry, Sumner and McDowell were advancing on Manassas. Things did not go well.

It appears McDowell and his men never really got into the battle and as such Sumner and his Corps faced Beauregard's entrenched men all by himself the results are plain to see. Thankfully there is a silver lining to this vast waste of men, only two of my seven divisions that went forward were hurt to any extent - the overwhelming majority of my losses being contained within Rickett's and Morell's divisions, where if we are lucky a regiment now have 150 out of 600 men.

It seems we'll need to find another way to approach the Virginia campaign - perhaps a Peninsula campaign?

Kentucky & Tennessee

While men bloodied themselves astride the Potomac, George Thomas advanced to meet Albert Sidney Johnston.

I ordered him to remain on the defensive, but apparently my orders didn't get through and instead Thomas attacked Johnston who was on the defensive. Things could have been much worse for while he had to retreat the Confederates got the worst of things. Thomas did so well that he's been congradulated for a good effort, along with Fitzjohn Porter. Thomas himself is being promoted again, to three stars - this'll anger Edwin Sumner, but he'll get over it I hope.

Of the three divisions under Thomas the only one to have been hit even moderately is Lew Wallace's, but he still have 5,700 men left and only one of his elements is down to half strength. The men under Porter and Crittenden are both still fairly fresh, but all will need time after getting back to Bowling Green to get reorganized.

While Thomas was marching back to safety, Buell managed to reach McClellan with his very small Corps, along with Humphreys independent division. Humphrey has been attached to Thomas, giving him four divisions and 25,000 men - reinforcements should get him up to around 30,000. I don't know what I'll do next though, for the meantime Thomas, McClellan, and Buell will remain stationary at Bowling Green.

I cancelled Grant's attack before I made the turn, remembering that Polk has been around Paducah for all winter and is probably at max entrench. Better to make him move against me. Instead this turn I'm keeping Grant where he is and I've split Prentiss' division into two. Two brigades of infantry and his divisional cavalry have been given to newly arrived John McArthur who'll stay with Grant. Prentiss has been detached, with three brigades, a battery of guns, and some sharpshooters to assault Island 10. Naval forces under David Porter will support.

With that fort gone I can advance almost unopposed to Memphis. That should hopefully pursuade Roberts to move Polk and make him attack Grant, or at least retreat.

Further west Franklin and Davis have advanced to just north of Fort Smith where Price has reappeared. He seems to have a good sized division, which doesn't give Franklin a large advantage, I'm sending him Lyon and 2,000 more men before I will look to take the fight to Price.

Louisiana Campaign

Hooker and Burnside are still camped out north of New Orleans. News from Springfield shows that Ewell has been placed under the command of John Horace Forney - no idea on his stats right now, and they now have at least two divisions and a brigade under John Pemberton. This places the enemy at at least par with my forces under Hooker, and probably slightly better in power, but I've got a great defensive position.

Meagher at the same time has managed to reach New Orleans and formed a division with the Irish and the Excelsior brigades. He won't join Hooker just yet, but move to assault Fort Pike first, but he'll need a turn first before he can move out.

Farragut is also leaving to return to Fort Monroe to grab more men and maybe start a new campaign against the forts on Cape Hatteras.

Campaign Losses

United States: 39,751
Confederacy: 43,339

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:07 am

Early May 1862

Economy:
Slightly richer, but that's about all. Still need to improve my rail capacity.

Reinforcements: 1 x Infantry Brigade (WI)
Replacements: 4 x Line Infantry

Virginia Theater

McDowell was still making his way back from Manassas last turn, so this turn the enemy attacked him again - perhaps hoping to beat up hitherto undamaged divisions. It was a bad idea, for while my men were retreating they weren't defeated.

From the battle report it seems both sides engaged in a fairly short meeting engagement after repeated attempts by McDowell to retreat. He's now outside Alexandria with Sumner, though the divisions of French, Smith, and Heintzelman have all been roughed up.

Up the Potomac Berry has been relieved of command of the Shenandoah Corps, replaced by Erasmus D. Keyes who was automatically promoted.

A division is now forming behind my lines under John Parke as well.

Well back in New York I'm forming a second, sending some brigadier generals back from Washington, and have got Ben Butler to help reinforce my men in Louisiana.

Over in West Virginia I've also decided its time to strike out in most inventive ways. I've just got ahold of Edward Ord as a general and sent him to Parkersburg. He'll be given two brigades and sent south towards Covington and possibly Lynchburg if possible. It should hopefully tie up a Confederate division.

Kentucky & Tennessee

Thomas has now been promoted and for now has 1-3-7 for stats. I can't wait to get him in a defensive battle. I've removed Humphreys from his command and returned him to Buell. I'll be moving Thomas to Clarksville to threaten Forts Henry and Donelson, it should maybe force the enemy into attacking McClellan and Buell on less than favorable circumstances, or make him come after Thomas.

Additional forces have now been formed up at Louisville, four brigades so far with two brigade commanders available to command them.

Prentiss successfully took Island 10 and is now in the process of destroying it - I can't allow it to fall into enemy hands if fortune goes against us. Grant is still standing pat at Columbus, but at Cairo I've now gotten two more divisions under command of William S. Rosecrans. I'm sending him by river to land north of Forts Henry and Donelson, this should be the easiest way to take the forts and should force Johnston back from Gallatin, as with the forts capture I can easily bring men up behind him on the Cumberland.

Another division will also join Grant, that of Franz Sigel from St. Louis - 5,000 men strong.

Over in Arkansas the enemy attempted to attack William B. Franklin's Corps, but they retreated upon seeing how powerful Davis' division is. The way is now fully open to Fort Smith and I order my men south.

Louisiana & Texas Campaign

Hooker and Forney continue to glare at each other. The only action which occured the last turn was me changing my mind and ordered Meigher to attack Fort Pike, which he did successfully at the cost of 915 men. Still that gets him an experience level that improves his stats to 3-3-2 and he's now one of my best divisional commanders. I'll get him back to New Orleans to rest and reinforce his battered regiments.

New Orleans is now basically secure for the time being.

In one small note as well W.H.L. Wallace has taken Dallas. I'm leaving a regiment of regulars to secure the city and moving on towards Henderson.

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:08 am

Late May 1862

Economy:
I finally purchased enough trains and river transport to put my transport economy on full blast. My supply grid should remain good for awhile now.

Unfortunately I'm just about out on manpower reserves, which is distressing.

Reinforcements: 2 x Infantry Brigades (NY)
Replacements: 3 x Line Infantry

Virginia Theater

Things are heating up along the Virginia theater. For one as you can see Roberts now has the services of Robert E. Lee. At 6-5-5 he's better than anyone I've got right now in the east, but he's not the problem right now as he can't really attack McDowell and Sumner with much chance of success, for while not all of my divisions are yet back to full strength they are again ready for combat.

The problem is with Johnston who has moved north of the Potomac into Maryland. I think the movement may have been a gambit to catch Keyes and smash him but last turn I sent him by train to behind the Monocacy river. I need to build up this force very quickly as its still only got three small and disorganized divisions. I've split two divisions away from Sumner and given them to Hamilton, as well as a small division under John Parke which has formed at Washington. That should give me in the region of 40,000 men behind the Monocacy river shielding Washington from a Confederate stab and should let me keep my positions around Alexandria.

Of note also is the fact that J.E.B. Stuart has also popped up - besieging York, though I'd guess he's going to just rip up the rails and hop away. I'm sending recently transfered Phil Kearny after him with my recently formed cavalry division, that should send him packing if we get into contact.

Edward Ord will also be moving this turn - you can see him outside Parkersburg. Instead of moving directly south into western Virginia I'm going to take the quicker route along the Ohio river, moving into the Big Sandy and then moving to take Prestonburg in Kentucky. Thereafter Ord can move towards Marion.

Another division, under Hurlbut will move itself away from Grafton and towards the Shenandoah - my ultimate goal being to destroy Strasburg Depot. I'll attempt to move as far as Petersburg this coming turn.

Kentucky & Tennessee

I've now put a second Army group into this region, splitting off George Thomas and giving him his own Army, with Grant and Rosecrans under him. For now his forces will be doing all the work in the theater, McClellan will be acting merely as a defensive obstacle into Kentucky and is receiving what I think will be his last reinforcements, a division coming from Louisville under Israel B. Richardson.

My only moves this turn is the movement by Rosecrans to move and assault Forts Henry and Donelson. Thomas has taken Clarksville and also destroyed the small force there under Nathan Beford Forrest.

Both Fitzjohn Porter and Thomas were both congradulated for the victory. While disorganized I'm moving Thomas immediately south of the Cumberland to put Nashville under siege. At the same time naval forces will run past forts Henry and Donelson to cut off Albert Sidney Johnston from retreating back to Nashville over the Cumberland, that should give time for Thomas to dig in around the city and get thoroughly ready for an inevitable counterattack.

Grant meanwhile is still remaining stationary at Columbus, as a new depot is building there, which we need as his supplies are gradually running out. Prentiss still remains at Island 10, its destruction is taking longer than expected.

Far West

Price has retreated from Fort Smith, realizing the futility of attempting to stop Franklin. A small idivsion under Lyon will continue to pursue Price, while Franklin looks to sail down the Arkansas as far as Perryville, putting me within striking distance of Little Rock by next turn. Fremont will follow up to Fort Smith as soon as he can, though I'll need more forces to secure my supply lines unless I can open up the Mississippi.

Down in Texas Wallace has now advanced towards Henderson, but he'll take his time securing the route, it should be another month before he takes that city.

Louisiana Campaign

With Lee arriving in Virginia, Roberts has sent Beauregard to take over his forces looking to attack Hooker. This is distressing, for while I defeated their forces once before I can't be sure I'll do so again, still my chances are good and we'll see what happens next turn. If all else fails I've already got Meigher at New Orleans with a fairly strong division - though still only a little more than at half strength, he'll stay there and dig in.

Campaign Losses

United States:
Confederacy: 51,921

dagleya
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:09 am

Early June 1862

Economy:
Things are better again this turn - my supply situation is now nearly perfect. My national morale has been decreased because Ben Butler is angry that he hasn't been given the Army command that went to Thomas. Too bad Ben.

Virginia Theater

Issues are now coming to a head in Northern Virginia. It seems Roberts has lured some of my forces away from Alexandria by moving Johnston north towards Keyes. He's exploited that by trying to box McDowell in with both Johnston and Lee. This puts me in a bind, and if I wasn't so entrenched now I'd retreat over the Potomac instead of letting the enemy get the initiative. Instead I'm moving Keyes south to be just north of McDowell and available to "march to the sound of the guns" a rule that'll let Keyes - as a Corps of the Army of the Potomac to assist his superior or another Corps if Roberts attacks. Hamilton and two divisions will remain behind the Monocacy river in order to cover the approach to Baltimore.

Further north J.E.B. Stuart has moved away from York, having cut the lines but now being forced away from my main corridor to Philly and New York after having made a less than wise attack on the militia at York. Stuart suffered 300 casualties, about a sixth of his force. He's now threatening Harrisburg, my main railhub leading towards Ohio. Kearny and some independent cavalry regiments will continue to harass Stuart and hopefully bring him to battle. Once I'm done that I'll look to have Kearny strike deep into Virginia, he'll be well suited to that task.

To the west Hurlbut is now halfway to Strasburg depot and while making good time his division is still organized. He'll continue onto the depot this turn from Petersburg, hopefully this'll catch Roberts off guard and I can take out his supply lines. The Army of the Potomac has more than enough supply units to build up its own supply routes when we can move forward, Roberts doesn't have that capability.

Far to the west Ord has made it to Prestonburg. He'll stay in the region until we can secure military control of the region and open up a supply route, and then move slowly south to Marion.

Regardless the further this goes on the move sure I am that my ultimate line to advance won't be forward via Manassas - I'll need to move in some other way. Perhaps later in the year landing at Norfolk or the Peninsula? All good plans that must be considered.

Kentucky & Tennessee

Good news all around this turn. For starters Rosecrans managed to land north of Forts Henry and Donelson. He then marched south and assaulted the garrison of the forts under John B. Floyd - perhaps the most inept southern commander I've yet faced. We took the fort, though taking 500 casualties in the process. Both the Cumberland and the Tennessee rivers are now opened to our river forces. A bold strike along those rivers is now possible if needed, and more importantly my river forces can sail up to Nashville to trap Johnston across the Cumberland, cutting off his supplies coming up from that city.

Thomas may have already rendered that just a potential extra topping on the cake. He marched directly across the Cumberland from Clarksville and onto Nashville, leaving Rosecrans to take the forts and McClellan and Buell to keep Johnston fixed at Gallatin. I consider it a potentially masterful movement play that will force Roberts to move into a number of bad situations.

For one I'm moving naval units into the Cumberland not only to block Johnston from attacking Thomas immediately at Nashville. Furthermore naval forces will protect Rosecrans from being smashed while he's disorganized - the river trip, the land march, and the fight itself - has left him unable to fight another battle for at least a month. He can advance on McClellan, but he and Buell are well entrenched and McClellan can at least fight a defensive battle to satisfaction, particularly when intelligence tells me his Army of the Tennesee is at par with Johnston's forces.

Of one note in this region Fitzjohn Porter has been rendered eligible for a promotion, and since I'm in dire need of some decent Corps commanders in the east - I'm promoting him and have redeployed him to Annapolis.

To speak of Grant I'm now turning towards Polk, who Roberts has not moved away from Paducah. I had hoped to force him back without forcing a battle, but it doesn't seem possible. With Grant running out of supplies and Prentiss now heading back to him I'm nearly ready to move forward and assault the enemy. As soon as he makes it back and gets under Grants command again I'll march on Polk. For now Grant should be able to draw supply from the transport flotillas I've amassed in the region to support him.

Far West

Wallace has now secured the area around Tyler and is moving on Henderson, the largest road hub in northern Texas. The next goal after that is unknown, though I may move on Shreveport, it may force Roberts into diverting some of Beauregards forces away from Hooker.

Up in Arkansas the campaign is coming to a head. Franklin has made a successful movement to Perryville and is now within a nine day march of Little Rock, though Davis' division has become slightly disorganized though Little Rock apparently only has a small militia guard.

What is surprising is the fact that Price and Stand Watie have managed to get behind me with a division - putting Fayettleville under siege. I've given Nathaniel Lyon almost all the men under Fremont and am having him march as fast as possible to attack Price - we can't afford to lose a supply line north. It's apparent that I need more troops for this theater, so I'm diverting a brigade and some artillery bound for Rosecrans to help reinforce Fremont, but I'll need more and am going to recruit another division worth of troops for Fremont.

Louisiana Campaign

Ben Butler and 5,000 more men for the Louisiana campaign are only a week away from New Orleans. I hope Hooker can hold. During the last two weeks Pemberton - Beauregard has disappeared - has advanced on my defenses at Pearl with 17,000 men. Hooker, with only 7,500 men put up a small fight before withdrawing towards New Orleans. He took over 700 casualties, but inflicted 1,700 on the enemy in return before getting out without issue.

Hooker is now at New Orleans and commands two divisions - Burnside and Meigher - both of which amount to 11,000 men, if Butler and his 5,000 men arrive soon enough that'll give me as many men as Pemberton in a defensive situation which should force him back for the rest of the year. Many of my regiments remain at half strength, but as they are by now very experienced they'll put up one hell of a fight Hooker has ordered his men to hold their lines to the death. Naval forces on the Mississippi might offer some support, but recent skirmishes with Confederate ironclads have left them largely unable to function at their best.

Campaign Losses

United States:
Confederacy: 56,075

Pubcrawler
Private

Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Some bold moves on your part! keep up the great work on the AAR :thumbsup:
"General Grant is a great general. I know him well. He stood by me when I was crazy, and I stood by him when he was drunk; and now, sir, we stand by each other always."

- William Tecumseh Sherman

Return to “American Civil War AARs”