MrT
Colonel

Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:53 am

Nice update Soundoff, just have one question, do you think its worth it for him to retake his capital, then risk losing all the assocaited troops to the siege that you would almost certainly institute the following turn?

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:44 am

MrT wrote:Nice update Soundoff, just have one question, do you think its worth it for him to retake his capital, then risk losing all the assocaited troops to the siege that you would almost certainly institute the following turn?

Thought long and hard about this post of yours MrT and decided that it deserved a detailed answer. So this is how I see it.

Now, I've removed all of the troops from the map. Its an old army tactic I learnt to employ when I want to see the wood from the trees

I've simply added the significant Army HQ's and Corps to identify the locations of the formations that really matter. With me so far I hope. ;)

OK now I'm really going back to basics so if I bore you then apologies from me in advance.

For starters the picture utilizies the supply filter screen. In this mode its easy to identify not only where you have supply...but of equal importance is seeing what you are not in control of and where the easy enemy routes are.....in this case green is in my favour whilst brown indicates that the CSA has the ascendancy. Its easy to trace a line from Forney's Corp to Richmond though Confederate controlled areas. Thus my assertion that the march can be made by the Confederacy given good weather conditions in less than 15 days and hence my fear for Richmond.

Now to your specific point Mr T. Again you will need to bear with me whilst I do a walkthrough.

Lets take what I know. Forney has 3 divisions with him as does Beauregard. Smith has 2 divisions and Bee perhaps 1 and a bit. Then lurking (I think at Wilmington but I am not sure) is Lee with perhaps a division at most. Anyway thats my assessment of the current enemy strength. Look back at my previous posts and check it out.

Now as for my Billy Yanks.

Well Keyes has a division and a half at Millboro. Hamilton has 3 divisions at Charlottesville (with cohesion shot to hell). Dix at sea on the Cheaspeake has a division with him and he's unable to support anywhere.

Barlow has a weak division (less than 5,000) at Richmond and I have at best 3 regiment brigades at Burkeville, Garysburg and Norfolk.

Now add into that mix my front line in North Carolina.

Kearny at Hillsboro has 2 full divisions with him. Whipple at Raleigh has 3 full divisions. Grant only has his HQ plus 30 artillery. McDowell has 3 and a half divisions but needing replacements to attain full strength. Franklin has 2 divisions but with cohesion on the floor given the consistent moving they have done in the last 2 months. That just leaves Berry with 2 and a half divisions.

Oh and then of course we have Crittendens shattered Corp....well enough said about that.

Baldly totting up the divisions it looks good for the Union but that's ignoring the detailed analysis.

So now lets assume Banks makes the move I fear. Firstly its unopposed....that much at least we must agree on and given that Richmond is protected by less than a division an assault by Forney on Richmond is likely to be successful.

Any successful assault would mean the enemy being able to resupply themselves...just look at the stockpile in Richmond. So at the minimum that means the enemy will be able to operate for a further 2 turns minimum without experiencing supply difficulties.

Now look at the Union dispositions. Keyes force must remain at Millboro. It not only protects the depot but guards the route to Grafton (also a depot city).....God forbid that I allow the Confederacy to take that location.

Hamiltons Corp needs time to recover and Dix's small force is at sea so thats another two taken out of the equation for at least one turn.

That leaves me being able to respond with Kearny, Franklin, Whipple, McDowell and Berry. I exclude Grant merely because he's HQ and support only.

Now work it out. If I move any of those forward Corps I present Banks with the opportunity of moving Bees, Beauregard's and Smiths forces at will to where ever he likes....not a sensible option.

And to top it all if there is a move on Richmond then the depots at Burkeville,Garysburg and Norfolk are under threat. Now how should I respond to that little dilemma? Banks would be able to move on any of those positions before I was able to get anywhere near Richmond to beseige him.

And just think of the shot in the arm it would give the confederacy to retake Richmond at this stage .....even if only for a turn or two....and with Lincolns re-election due in 64.

So if I were the Confederacy would I gamble? You bet I would. But do I know more than Banks? Certainly I do but I'm not going to chance it.

Hope that answers your question MrT.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:20 am

soundoff wrote:Take for example this first report. I look at that, see that I'm outnumbered 8 to 1. I have no artillery, the enemy has a small entrenchment bonus and to top it all the dice roll goes against me quite heavily yet I'm victorious. Ah well I suppose in reality it could happen. But then look at the second battle report.
All of a sudden half of the Rebel forces have disappeared. Were they not involved in the original battle?....just happened to be in the region? Did I rout them from the field? But now look. All of a sudden that entrenchment bonus has shot up to 250. In a day that should be impossible.

I have really had fun playing AACW for over 12 months now but the battle reports really do get to me these days. :( I know all of the arguements about the battle reports only being for 'flavour' and that its the battle log that provides all of the actual details but IMHO that really is not good enough. The battle reports should be accurate otherwise what good are they. And I dont know about you but me....I'm too long in the tooth to want to go delving under the bonnet of this or any other computer game to find out whats happening.

Does this explanation satisfy you?
Perhaps Banks had issued orders for the one group of soldiers to leave the region. I don't know if he did. So, the battle took place on whatever day it was. By the time the next battle rolled around, the other force had left, leaving only the smaller force. If the larger force were entrenched not at all and the smaller force up to level 3, that might explain the massive entrenchment discrepancy.

MrT
Colonel

Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:57 am

First of all Soundoff, Thankyou for the great explaination of just why that move would be devastating to your foward line, infact puts your whole army in danger.
Secondly I have too agree with Enf regarding your battle report, If you look at the first and the second battles there is a huge troop varation (1000+), much bigger than the actual loss in the first battle. So as the troops were moving through the region, they were in the open ground.. reducing the overall entrenchment level.
Then when they had left they had the full entrenchment bonus, because there was no poor sods in the open ground.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:04 am

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late August 63 result and Early September Orders[/size][/color]

Two sizeable battles this turn. Both unexpected and neither of them decisive but given that the ratio of losses was about 1 to 1, from my perspective, as the Union player, thats a very good result.

[SIZE="3"]EASTERN THEATRE[/size]

Virginia

Johnston's Confederate Corp continues to wend it's weary way home to North Carolina. Unfortunately I have little in the way of reserves to attempt to bring it to battle so will watch as it retreats back from whence it came. Even with those two supply wagons in tow Johnston must be hurting from lack of supplies now. All I can do is to wave a fond farewell to him and hope his shadow never darkens the Northern doors again.

Also note from the picture that I've started to construct a new depot at Charlottesville. Its an important rail intersection. If you can always build depots at key rail links. Movement of those vital supplies is much speeded. Its not always possible though.

Out of shot I'm also reconstructing the Manassas depot. Its vitally important for the coming winter that I have sufficient staging posts to push and pull resources to my front line troops. A tip for any Union player particularly is to neglect at your peril depot construction when you are on the offensive. Its easy to overlook but logistics (quite rightly) are such a key element of this game that you will suffer if you do.

North Carolina

Our first significant battle in a month. Totally indecisive and as I said before, somewhat unexpected. I was, I suppose, fearing that Smith at Fort Picketts in Sampson NC was no longer actually inside the structure given that last turn I was showing his picture. How he managed to get outside without fighting Berrys beseiging Corp.......well I'll leave you to ponder that one.

Anyhow it seems as if my move of Franklins Corp through Sampson to get to Martin NC was enough to precipitate a battle. Rather irritatingly for me was the fact that Franklins Corp was rather low on cohesion....if only his troops had been fully raring to go I might have had a stunning victory (if a somewhat fortuitous one under the circumstances). Still a draw with such hefty losses to both sides was satisfying enough. After all I can replace the losses, not easily, but they are replaceable. Banks on the other hand has little chance of refilling his shattered ranks until the December draft arrives.

I was also pleased to note the 27 hits the Rebels took in their retreat. Not much I grant you but I'll take anything I can get.

Now, if you will bear with me, I'd like to share with you how I approach major battle reports. I never simply skim over them. So lets take this battle and examine it in greater detail.

The battle report shows that I had some 40,000 troops engaged. OK so far so good. Now we all know that the battle reports are often inaccurate as they show ALL troops in an area at the time of the battle which is often not the same as the NUMBER of troops actually taking part in the battle. We also know as players that troops that MTSG never appear in the battle report.

The report indicates that Franklins move was blocked in Sampson. That could have been Smiths Corp doing the blocking but it might not. Why do I say that? I'll explain my musings in a minute or two.

Anyhow the report says that Ricketts Division joined Berrys Corp on day 3. That swelled Berrys Corp by approximately 7,000 troops. Im also informed that McDowell MTSG.

Now add Ricketts troops to Berrys Corp as it was in Early August and Berrys command begins to approach 23,000. To that include Franklins Corp in Early August, anothere 17,000 and you have my magic 40,000 troops engaged in the battle. McDowells Corp which MTSG, another 20,000 never show up but they were there.

So in actual fact I had around 60,000 troops embroiled in this little dingdong.

Now lets look at that pesky Confederate number. Well its here that I start to scratch my head a wee bit. According to the report Banks had some 20,000 troops under Smith engaged yet Smith previously only had two divisions and there is no way a single division comes close to 10,000 unless its comprised entirely of infantry. So if Smith commanded 20,000 then I'm missing something but what? Some additional troops methinks? Was Banks attempting to reinforce Smith? Certainly a possibility and if it were with another division that would give Smith around 20,000 which started the battle.

If thats right then Smith now commands three divisions. Regrettably I'm not seeing the details of his command now so I cannot tell but thats what I suspect has happened.

The other point to make is that in a battle of this magnitude I'd not have expected so high a casualty rate on my side if my opponent only had 20,000 effectives on the field. Nah, in much the same way as McDowell MTSG, at least one of those darned CSA Corp commanders must have done the same. Lo and behold when I look at those power ratings....yep... would you Adam and Eve it Forneys Corp at least has been in the wars. Those two divisions of his have been hit hard. That would account for another 12 to 14,000 rebel troops being in the battle. And whats this? Hoods division has disappeared from Forney's command. Could Banks have moved him to join Smith at Sampson? Is that how the starting number of CSA troops in the battle was as high as 20,000?. I wonder?

Finally there is Bory. Was he involved? With his hide value having increased I'm lacking a clear picture? But he might have been.

Amazing really what you can glean from the reports if only you take the time to look ;)

Whatever the in's and out's of it I have strong suspicions that Bank's defence is now severely compromised particularly as E. Smith in his retreat has abandoned Fort Picketts and moved to the southern banks of the Neuss.

Now what to do thats the question. I think Banks will do one of two things. He's such a fine player and as I've discovered he certainly does not believe in half measures. With my move of Franklin to plug that gap at Martin having been thwarted he's either got to pull back to new defensive positions or....and its the biggie....he does that swinging hook around my flank towards Richmond.

How glad am I that I know Stonewall's command cannot yet be in any state to be added into the mix.

The sensible thing for the Confederacy to do would be to retire but look at the way Banks has continually dumbfounded me. In 62 there was that march into Kentucky. This year there has been the campaign into Virginia. I'm not sure Banks will do the sensible thing. He's playing the confederacy with such tenacity.

No I'll play it safe for another turn. It grieves me as Berry's Corp is in good shape as is Whipples Corp at Raleigh. And Grant is just itching for another crack at them there rebel positions. But no I'll wait. Hamiltons 3 division Corp will reach Garysburg in a couple of days where it will rest for the remainder of the move. That will place it in a good position next time. With the arrival of Hamiltons Corp at Garysburg the need for Franklin to move to Martin recedes so I've issued orders for him to march to Raleigh. His troops do need rest and recouperation but if I have him at Raleigh then I should be able to release Whipple for a forward march.

So thats the plan then. Of course. Should I be entirely wrong (not unusual) and discover that Banks does the same as me and sits tight. Well then nothing much changes. And lets not also forget that I have the odd independent division or two that has been released from the rear environs now the immediate threat of a CSA invasion of Virginia has passed.

I'm showing this picture just to let you see that I've started to flesh out Crittendens Corp again. Its still nowhere near full strength but its improving and will shortly (I hope) be a thorn again in the Confederate sides.

[SIZE="3"]WESTERN THEATRE[/size]

Kentucky

Banks' using Ruggles and those Indian raiders is becoming a complete nuisance in Kentucky. I have to respond to the threat. I just hope that in doing so I dont take my eye off of the ball and the bigger picture. Ruggles in particular could do some damage as many cities are only lightly defended.

In an effort to stabilise the situation I'm rushing a partial division from Nashville under the able command of General Kilpatrick to Paducah. That should be a start. I'm also retiring one or two forward units to nearby cities just until the current threat has receded.

Tennessee

There was only the one minor skirmish in this theatre which I was fortunate enough to win. I might have fared even better had I have had enough ammunition.

The stalemate continues. We continue to face one another off. Banks I'm sure does not have the troops to mount and offensive, at least yet, in this theatre whilst I am unwilling to do so given the hostile terrain.

Interesting those CSA forces continue to struggle for supply. Polks command is showing red whilst Braggs and Johnston's are orange which makes events in Georgia which we will come to later even more pleasing.

Mississippi

Well I've stiffened that important intersection at Corinth quite nicely. Buell at last has a Corp....even if it is only one division strong ;) He'll sit there for the remainder of the year or until I'm sure enough that the raiding threat to Kentucky and beyond has evaporated.

Georgia

Good news here. Grierson has done magnificently. Banks was evidently keen to try to save the Augusta depot from being destroyed by my Union boys as he attacked Grierson twice with not one but two forces.

Luckily for me Griersons command survived the first early assault on his positions. The second assault which forced him to retreat came too late to prevent me from torching the depot.

So the first assault on Grierson by Morgan came on day 1. Banks must have been pretty desperate as I'd seen off Morgan last time and he had not been reinforced. Grierson with odds in his favour easily saw off the first assault. The rebel cavalry even had to cope with a few retreat hits.

Wheeler with a much stronger Confederate force launched a second assault on Griersons position on day 6. A day too late to prevent the Augusta depot from being destroyed. Even though Grierson was outnumbered more than 2 to 1 his troops put up a valiant fight before retreating.

In the retreat my Union troops suffered a further 10 hits but fortunately no actual elements of the command have been lost..... YET :thumbsup:

Now to try to run Grierson home as quickly as I can evading everything that I can if thats possible. He's done such a wonderful job that I'd like to get him home safely. Funny how you can get attached to sprites at times....at least I can...they almost become real :)

[SIZE="3"]LOWER SEABOARD[/size]

Alabama

Another stand off. Mansfield cannot move for fear of exposing my depot at Milton. Neither, I suspect, can Banks move Longstreet. Mobiles just too important too him. I'm also desperate to get another depot online at Ft Pickens. It should happen this turn. I am mindful that with 9 divisions in this theatre that I need to feed that I'm about on the cusp of being able to supply them.

On a brighter note at least Milroys Corp is beginning to take on replacements at Milton. Soon that Corp will be ready to take the field again. I think that perhaps this theatre might turn out to be the most interesting in the next few months.

Onto the second sizeable battle of the turn. Sheridan against Johnston. Hmmm so Banks must have been advancing with Johnston's army. Interesting. My but my opponent does make me sit up and take notice at times. That punch I would never have called in a million years. I can only hazard a guess that he was attempting to deny me an easy route for a strike on Atlanta. If the Confederacy could hold West Point then I'd have to circle in difficult terrain.

How lucky was I that I'd decided to move Sheridan forward. If there's a downside at all its that it exposes my hand. Banks knows for sure that he's up against both Hooker and Sheridan in this region.

I'd love to follow up but just do not have the strength to do so. Give me another month and things might be different. Trouble is another month is another two turns closer to winter which is not far off now.

As well as 3 elements lost in the actual battle the Rebels suffered a further 45 hits in the retreat .....excellent.

OK so this is the current picture. All I can do is hold steady for a turn or two and hope that vital supplies start to pour in. I'm about on my limit (I could infact be over) for having troops that can be sustained.

Florida

This time the assault goes in on the Dead Lakes. If its successful there is at least a level 1 harbour so I should be able to get some supplies too it. Its whether I can get enough supplies to allow me to build upa sufficient force to take Fort Gadsden. Time will tell.

Well good people thats about it. I've deliberately not shown a picture of the far west and San Francisco this time. The seige continues but there were no breaches and absolutely nothing has changed.

To the bits and bobs then.

Economy - Nil

Reinforcements - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Replacements - 2 Elite Infantry, 4 Line Infantry, 1 Cavalry, 4 Field Artillery

Foreign Intervention at last is no longer a negative. It stands at +1

NM for the Union is now 133. Following those reverses in the field the Confederacy is down to 91

VP's - at last I'm in the same street its 2019 for the Union and 2098 for the Confederacy.

acme
Corporal

Wed Aug 26, 2009 4:03 pm

the sun of the CSA is setting..
Banks played bravely, but was a bit too agressive.

cobraII
Captain

Wed Aug 26, 2009 10:50 pm

acme wrote:the sun of the CSA is setting..
Banks played bravely, but was a bit too agressive.

I do not think that Banks played two aggressively.If Banks just sat back and let the Soundoff take the offensive, Soundoff would have all the initiate, which would cause many problems for the South, its the defender who needs to make the enemy attack where he wants. In order to do that you have to funnel the enemy to a certain spot. If you go purly defensive it leaves the oppertunity for your opponent to flank your lines. Another thing is by the south being on the offensive at times it causes your opponent to split up his forces so that if you have a defensive spot not as many of the union troops will be as concentrated their. Which is easily seen by how Banks used Jackson and Edward Johnston and Jeb Stewarts commandes in the Virginia campaign.
Quote General Lee Gettysburg movie,
"Do you see, General, there is the great trap, to be a good soldier you must love the army, to be a good commander you must be ready to order the death of the thing you love. We don't fear our death. But if this war goes on and on and the men die and the price gets ever high. We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us. We are adrift here in a sea of blood and I want it to end. I want this to be the final battle".

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Aug 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Hi acme and CobraII,

Interesting thoughts gentlemen. I have my own which I'll gladly share once this game with Banks is done and dustied. Now far be it from me to stifle debate in any way shape or form. Indeed the more the merrier. But would'nt it be better for you to discuss whether or not Banks has been 'over aggressive' in the discussion thread. There you can argue the issue from both sides in complete comfort and safety (knowing that I will not be privvy to anything you say nor any of the AAR's you draw upon).

Its a good debate to have. Has the South been too aggressive? Has the Union been too conservative? What would you have done differently given the constraints we've set for ourselves. In my case....not to use the naval side that much and in the case of my opponent not to exploit the 'raiding' capabilities beyond historical limits?

Many thanks though to the pair of you for remaining interested.

acme
Corporal

Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:57 pm

sry for hijacking

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:59 am

[SIZE="6"][color="Red"]Early September 63 result and Late September Orders[/color][/size]

Well folks, a very very quiet turn but one that is full of intriguing possibilities. Banks is really making me scratch my head this time around. I have to make some very serious assumptions in North Carolina. Ah well we will come to that soon enough. So lets get straight too it.

[SIZE="3"]EASTERN THEATRE[/size]

North Carolina

Hoorray....I no longer have to start with a sub heading of Virginia. I've finally seen the back end of that Confederate campaign. That tied up a serious number of my troops for far longer than I'd have liked. Well done Banks :hat: Back to the task in hand....North Carolina.

Well, well, well. What the dickens is going on? The CSA armies have just melted away. I still see E Johnston's Corp retreating home and I can spot JEB Stuarts Corp. Other than that the enemy have simply evaporated :confused: Somehow I've got to intrepret what my wiley opponent is up to. It certainly will be 'up to no good' as far as my Union boys are concerned and thats no error. Hmmm Banks just what are you playing at now? What dastardly plan have you in store for me for the winter?

OK so here is the way I'm calling it. Now don't laugh...remember I'm doing this without knowledge of whats going on :coeurs:

Why would Banks pull away. One of two reasons. Either to mount an offensive elsewhere or because he believes his defenses have been seriously compromised. As you are aware for the last couple of turns I've been expecting the former.....via an attack on Richmond. Now though I'm not so sure. Those Rebel Corps of Smith, Forney and Beauregard have gone backwards and in the terrain we are currently fighting in you sure as heck do not go backwards to come forwards....that just wastes valuable time and time is short with winter approaching. It is possible that those CSA forces have been rushed to the coast for an amphibious move. Possible but highly unlikely particularly as my navy now patrols the coastal regions precisely to guard against such an eventuality.

So if its not an offensive....then Banks is retiring his armies. And if he is retiring it must be because the battle at Fort Pickett in late August damaged the Confederacy more than I suspected. That in turn would leave me to believe that Banks' CSA forces are weaker than I'd calculated.

Working on that assumption Grant only has one option........ADVANCE. Yet how. I could do a quick dive forward in force so to speak. That would not be wise though as I have no idea what Banks has lined up for me. Where ever he's at he's too canny a player not to ensure that all his forces support one another. I've beaten the drum long and hard enough for you to know that I'm not the type of player who attacks whilst blind (unless there is no alternative)

Nope, Grant is to make a cautious advance. If I'm right about the CSA retiring then another thought that strikes me is that Banks is almost saying North Carolina is lost. Now that would be good news. It was on my objective list for 63 but the way my opponent has defended the State up till now coupled with the casualties I've taken made me seriously consider whether it was possible.

I've made a breach in the defenses of Fort Pickett and two in those of Fort David Jones. If I recall correctly you need 2 breaches to seriously reduce the effectiveness of the defenses so those at Fort David Jones should just about be rubble at this stage. As the defenders under General Bee are in excess of a division strong I'm ordering Whipple to continue the seige for the time being. Lets see whether I can inflict some more hits on those beseiged defenders. I have other plans for Fort Pickett.

This then is the proposed move. Note if you will that Grant and McDowell are advancing with a defensive stance. I know if they meet opposition they will revert to attack mode its just that I like to advance into enemy territory (when I'm not anticipating a battle) in defensive mode. Berry on the other hand has orders to assault the now weakened Fort Pickett and its much reduced garrison before moving forward. He should be able to manage it. After all he has odds of ten to one in his favour. Who knows perhaps I'll get lucky and make that second breach before the attack goes in.

These then are the details of the Corps I'm advancing with. Those fresh Corps of Rousseau and Hamilton are most welcome and may well prove decisive in the months to come.

In addition to these I have a further 2 divisions under Kearny, 3 with Whipple and 2 with Franklin on the front line. Now I just need to apply that weight I have in my favour before the December drafts arrive and Banks is able to swell his ranks.

There was one very very minor skirmish in this theatre a single regiment of cavalry of mine against a single CSA infantry unit. I was repulsed but casualties were relatively light. It has prevented me however from securing a decent reconnaissance report as to what might be going on in the Confederate rear. Ah well perhaps next time. :thumbsup:

To support Grants general advance I've ordered Crittendens revitalized command to move forward again....thats another 2 divisions. I must admit to beginning to suspect that the power of the Union may have reached that overwhelming stage. What must it have felt for RE Lee and the rest of the CSA high command in reality?

[SIZE="3"]WESTERN THEATRE[/size]

Kentucky

I've stabilized the defenses around Paducah. Ruggles wisely decided to evade any possibility of battle and has moved to the environs of Memphis. He's going to chew up rail and I cannot stop him but thats all he's going to do. I shall continue to give chase to him even though its a lost cause. Those darned indians remain a thorn in my side but I'm just going to ignore them......eventually they will go away.

Tennessee

In the centre of the theatre I'm continuing to sit tight and watch those Confederate armies suffer in respect of supplies. Both Polk and Johnstons forces are showing red and Braggs is orange so not much better off. The effects of loss of the Augusta depot in Georgia should also begin to kick in now. I'm unsure whether Banks can maintain these positions for much longer. He certainly will not be able to leave Bragg and Johnston out in the open in this terrain in winter. At least Meades army and associated Corps will have warm beds to sleep in at night. :coeurs:

Mississippi

Ah ah. This is a little nasty one. Banks is starting to rachet up the irritation factor in Mississippi. First we had those Indians at Paducah. Then Ruggles through Mississippi and upwards. Now we have Heth and the European Brigade popping up.

I've ordered Richardsons division at Vicksburg to assault Heth. I dont suppose he will stand and fight but I'll be satisfied if I shift him back from whence he came. Little Mac has orders to protect Vicksburg and the newly created depot.

Foote, also at Vicksburg, with a large river fleet has been ordered to attack that Rebel force that has appeared on the river.

As you can see. Provided the river fleet of Banks does not evade Foote's command there should be one heck of a ding dong on the Mississippi. I would so like to negate the river threat from the Confederacy once and for all.

[SIZE="3"]TRANS-MISSISSIPPI[/size]

To support Richardsons move from Vicksburg against Heth at Natchez I've ordered Blunt with his two cavalry regiments to attack Harrisonburg. Its a blind attack. I have no idea whatsoever whether Harrisonburg is defended but its worth a shot.

[SIZE="3"]LOWER SEABOARD[/size]

Alabama/Florida

Ok so here is the current situation. I've taken Saint Joseph so re-established a precarious foothold in Florida. The terrain is as bad as it gets ...swamp... and although there is a level 1 harbour whether I can feed the troops I've landed is in the lap of the gods. I have no supply wagons with me so resources need to start to arrive immediately. I'm moving a couple of sea transports to the city this time to begin to construct a depot but whether it will be enough and in time......(shrugs)

What I'm not showing is that I'm embarking Milroys two divisions. Providing everything works out satisfactorily they will be used to reinforce Saint Joseph. Otherwise I have half a mind to send them to Galveston.

Hooker and Sheridan I'm pulling back. I dont think Banks will attempt to attack West Point again....... at least just yet. As for me well the supply situation worries me. The new depot at Fort Pickens has come on stream so I've doubled my supply capacity but I'm well on the limit of troops I can support. Its another reason for moving Milroy elsewhere, particularly as both Hooker and Sheridans troops need food.

[SIZE="3"]FAR WEST[/size]

California

At last the Confederates made an attack on San Francisco if only a half hearted one. I repulsed them easily enough. Oh what I'd give to have another commander in the city. The current force suffers a 15 percent command penalty.

Pleasingly Whartons force is beginning to experience supply difficulties. I think my opponent may make one further attempt then call the escapade off if its not successful. We shall see.

Well good people thats about it for another turn other than to report on the dregs.

Drafts - Nil

Finances - Nil

Economy - Heavy Industrialisation in Virginia, Arkansas, Alabama and Florida

Reinforcements -

Mid Atlantic

2 Transports

Maryland

2 Supply Units

Replacements - 1 Elite Infantry, 1 Line Infantry and 1 Cavalry

Foreign Intervention remains at +1

Morale is 132 for the Union and 92 for the CSA

VP's are 2075 for the Union and 2125 for the Confederacy

MrT
Colonel

Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:24 am

Foot on the throat time.

Looks good for the union steamroller.

Did not realise you were not at all in Texas yet squire, intresting, thought you would of snaffled those VP up from there muich earlier.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:21 pm

[SIZE="6"][color="Red"]Late September 63[/color][/size] result. Unfortunately Banks tells me that he's fallen a little behind with his AAR.....real life always gets in the way and must take priority. So I'm hanging fire with my full report for Late September and Early October orders.

I thought though I'd just give you a taster ;)

[SIZE="3"]LINCOLN ORDERS A LATE AUTUMN OFFENSIVE IN THE EAST[/size]

[SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]GRANTS ARMIES TAKE TO THE FIELD[/font][/size]

[SIZE="3"][font="Book Antiqua"]FORT PICKETT FINALLY FALLS[/font][/size]

And the best news of all....would you just look at the picture. At last the Union VP's have overtaken the CSA total. Now all I have to do is to continue to extend the gap which I should be able to do providing I stay on my toes........with luck and a following wind :thumbsup:

slimey.rock
Major

Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:12 pm

Congratulations Soundoff! And barely halfway throught the game :thumbsup:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi good people,

Well I've made a decision and finally decided its time to call an end to this game. Who won...who lost...... you, the reader, can decide. As for me well I definately won. Not in game terms perhaps but in playing the game I found a friend. A totally honourable opponent and a terrific person.

Cheers to you Banks.....you played this game in the spirit it should be played in. As for your hosting. It was exemplary.

If there is ever a AACW2 or another 'Grand Campaign' then perhaps Banks and I will 'lock horns' or 'join forces'. In either instance, for me, it will be an honour.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:15 pm

I should have added....its open season now....you can say what you like on either Banks or my AAR or the discussion threads.

I must also congratulate all of you for sticking with the pair of us since the start of the year. Your stamina has been brilliant...even if our efforts have been less than worthy.

Without you looking in and encouraging us our feeble offering would have ended months ago.

Thank you...one and all. :coeurs:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:03 pm

I'll eventually post my last move and orders.....just looked at my opponents and it would have gotten worse for the South.

For early October I'd stormed Bee's fort....no idea whether I'd have taken it. Would need Banks to process the turn. I've also pulled Hooker further back in Alabama ....and also Sheridan. I must admit that I did not do so because I feared a move by Lee against my positions. It was purely because I was afraid of attrition losses to starvation. My supply ability was on the cusp and I was unwilling to sacrifice troops needlessly.

It is amazing how two and two add up to four when you suspect they will add up to six....and you keep quiet and take the credit ;)

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:08 pm

*standing ovation*
I'm American, but... good show, chap, good show.

MrT
Colonel

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:38 pm

Very nicely done Soundoff, I've learnt from this thread that even southerners can fight the fight ;) .

Congrats and pat on the back, and as i said in Banks thread, thankyou for providing your half of this brilliant story.

acme
Corporal

Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:37 pm

What ever more could one say.
Thx a lot for the game and your time to write AAR about it.

Looking forward your future AARs. :)
maybe swapping sides? :wacko:

gchristie
Brigadier General

Who won?

Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:29 pm

soundoff wrote:Who won...who lost...... you, the reader, can decide.

We all won!

Thank you both for your time and effort. I learned so much from you both, and really looked forward to each installment in the unfolding drama.

In addition to what you did, I am struck by how you went about it - treating each other honorably with with a selflessness in sharing your strategies and tactics with the rest of us. Your behavior exemplifies what is unique about this forum, and why I keep visiting. You both have raised the bar in many ways, and we the readers are better for it.

Hope you guys get to meet someday and discuss your exploits over some good english and american brews.
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:10 pm

gchristie wrote:We all won!

That really is a beautiful sentiment. Many thanks for that. I'm sure Banks will appreciate it as well.

If I have one regret it this. I wish I were not as burnt out with ACW as I am. I'd love to feel up to doing the same again with Banks but with the roles reversed me as the CSA and him as the Union...now that really could be enlightening.

Who knows...perhaps after a suitable interlude.....not that I've discussed it with Banks you understand.

P.S. On second thoughts I have another regret...that I never got to Grand Campaign with Banks....now that I would have liked although I accept that a Grand Campaign will probably always be for any AGEod game.....an horizon too far.

Big Ideas
Captain

Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:47 am

Congratulations Soundoff for your victory! I have read every post and enjoyed your thoughts on your struggles as the USA player. A clear demonstration of the proper use of manpower, leaders, and strategy with insightful hints and clues for your audience to absorb!! The amount of time you have dedicated to complete each update is also appreciated. Well done.

Thank you again.

bburns9
Sergeant

Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:50 pm

Nothing new to add to what has already been said, I just wanted to thank you both for this AAR. As I followed along over the past several months, there were many things that I learned that one could never encompass in a manual. I appreciate your time and dedication in providing valuable lessons to us newer forumites.

BB
Find out what Grant drinks and send a barrel of it to each of my other generals! - A. Lincoln

MFogal
Conscript

Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:49 pm

kudos to you both. A highly entertaining, educational and readable game. Well done. Thank you for sticking with it, past the point where you were having lots of fun.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Tue Jul 27, 2010 2:31 am

Same basic comments as I placed in my own former thread...just wanted to give Soundoff's former AAR the same (bump) treatment that goes along with posting for the first time in awhile.

Believe me...I have poured over this AAR since we finished our game....picking out all the little nuggets Soundoff left for everyone. He really is a brilliant player, creative mind...and a genuinely spirited gamer.

Cheers!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

kayapo
Private

Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:15 am

I understand Soundoff removed his pictures from this thread.

That said something is happening with the links and other pictures are appearing, some of them really not suitable to this board. ;)

pesec
Corporal

Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:44 am

kayapo wrote:I understand Soundoff removed his pictures from this thread.

That said something is happening with the links and other pictures are appearing, some of them really not suitable to this board. ;)

Are you seeing what I am seeing in the August 26th, 2009 post? :thumbsup:

Rafiki

Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:38 pm

Looks like it's gone now? I imagine a temporary URL-hijacking of the 3rd party image hosting site (or something like that)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Return to “American Civil War AARs”