It's a Trap

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:04 pm

OK its been 48 hrs

This is just to awesome a AAR. Need update plz, we're dying here.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri Aug 07, 2009 1:48 pm

Well I'm very flattered Trap!

An update IS coming today. It should be posted later this afternoon...(that'd be U.S. Central daylight time :) ).
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Have you ever stopped to think and forgot to start??

Cleptic
Civilian

Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:58 pm

Banks, I wanted to let you know that I don't own a copy of this game, I chose to play Forge of Freedom instead, but I've still followed the AAR religiously sense I discovered it back in March. The only reason I visit this board is to see if there are any updates to this AAR. Keep up the great work.

MrT
Colonel

Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:56 pm

Cleptic have you read it from the other side (soundoff) i can assure you that reading both together makes for hilerious and often suprising thoughts.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:03 pm

Alright...so a few hiccups in the schedule. I will be able to get a FULL update up by tommorrow for sure. VERY sorry about the delay everyone.

slimey.rock
Major

Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:12 pm

Lol no worries. Remember, you can't rush art!

It's a Trap

Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:42 am

Banks6060 wrote:Alright...so a few hiccups in the schedule. I will be able to get a FULL update up by tommorrow for sure. VERY sorry about the delay everyone.

I'm a sad Panda

ncuman
Corporal

Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:00 pm

Banks6060 wrote:Alright...so a few hiccups in the schedule. I will be able to get a FULL update up by tommorrow for sure. VERY sorry about the delay everyone.

Banks is such a tease :( . Reminds me of one of my old gf's :bonk: .

Cleptic
Civilian

Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:58 am

MrT wrote:Cleptic have you read it from the other side (soundoff) i can assure you that reading both together makes for hilerious and often suprising thoughts.

I have! I usually read Banks turn first, than head over and read Soundoff's. I can't wait to read their reactions when this game is over and they read the others AAR.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:41 am

Really some very flattering comments gentlemen. I am very sorry about the recent delay. I also wish to offer a sincere apology to Soundoff who has now been waiting nearly 2 weeks for a new turn. I should explain myself of course.

Typically I will wait until I've posted my AAR to send Soundoff a new turn so at least I don't get ahead of myself. I've sent Soundoff an email with an apology and an explanation...with that. Back to war!!

[color="Red"]Turn 56, Late July, 1863:[/color]

[SIZE="4"]Lee sends Grant to flight, Yankees whipped in North Caronlina!![/size]

(Another good result, although not quite what I was hoping for. Beauregard managed to move into the region and hold Grant into place for a little while, but it appears Crittenden (as i expected) was sent to rescue Grant's beleaguerd army. His mission was a success, but at a very high cost...Grant was able to escape to the Northwest and his troops will now be able to resupply and collect replacements. It was a Union rout...and I'm guessing most of the damage was taken by Grant's troops. This has certainly reset things in the east for the time being...but more on that in a little while.)

[SIZE="3"]Jackson thrown back at Battle of Smokey Pass!![/size]

(I suppose I could have seen this defeat coming, but being the eternal optimist I am, I had to trust ol' Stonewall and his veteran troops to carry the day. As you can see on the battle report, once Jackson's troops got in close...it got bloody. It appears he might have been able to push Keyes' troops back had he just one more division at his disposal (Damn you Edward Johnston and your consistent delay!!). This was a battle Jackson needed to win...and a depot he needed to take...badly. Now he faces a long slog west to the rails and an even longer ride home. Hopefully he will still have an effective fighting force once it's all said and done.)

[SIZE="3"]Hooker catches Confederate detachment in Alabama, score victory!![/size]

(Here's one I never saw coming. And a result I can only blame myself for. Had I railed Talliaferro back to Columbus, GA like I'd originally tried to, he would have avoided combat altogether. Now his division is badly bruised...yet another formation that will fight the remainder of the 1863 campaign severely understrength. The retreat path taken by Talliaferro also complicates the strategic situation...Johnston's headquarters at Columbus is now under direct threat. More in a moment.)

First I'll turn to orders in the east...we'll start in Virginia:

So Jackson's troops will now be left to pick what they can for sustenence and move as swiftly as their legs can carry them back to safety. I think perhaps many of those troops will be glad to see the Shennendoah mountains behind them...I know it will be good to have Jackson back in North Carolina in decent shape that's for sure. What Jackson's troops have working for them is a warm, sunny summer...it should decrease significantly the attrition suffered on the march.

J.E.B Stuart's troopers aren't in great shape, but they managed to find supply SOMEWHERE. Not a clue where, but I'll take it. Stuart will shadow Jackson's wing and make sure to keep any would-be pursuers at bay. Neither Jackson nor Stuart will allow any major engagements, but both will turn and defend themselves if need be.

Edward Johnston...oh what another story his escape is likely to be. He has once again gone inactive and he has another 9,000 troops that will be sorely missed if they all starve...and whether or not Soundoff decides to let him go...will largely determine the fate of his command. I will order Johnston's troops to follow in Jackson's footsteps. Intel puts Hamilton about a day or two's march from Culpepper so I've ordered Johnston to "defend and retreat" should he be attacked and then continue southwest up the valley toward Lexington. All bets go on Soundoff trying to take full control of Lexington to block Johnston's escape...but perhaps I'll get lucky and Soundoff won't want to go for it. His other Corps under Franklin and Dix ARE quite out of position to do anything about Jackson or Johnston...so again...perhaps I'll get lucky.

Moving then to North Carolina, where things may be winding down for a time.

I went back and did some calculations...after a month of hard fighting, combined losses in North Carolina have topped 40,000. Around 26,000 Union troops fell between Wilmington, Sampson and Duplin...about half as many boys in Gray. Grant's army is now in tatters save the lone Corps under General Whipple. As you can see on the above screenie, Grant's Corps are widely spread across the entire front. Whipple, along with Grant's HQ now have Fort Jones under siege outisde Raleigh...the troops manning those ramparts are those of General Bee's division. about 9,000 fresh troops. Perhaps Soundoff will try another assault with Whipple's Corps...I doubt it. All evidence points to Soundoff settling in for another few turns to rest Grant's army and collect much needed replacements. I'm really hoping the timing of the battles will force Soundoff to wait until the winter draft to even HAVE any replacements available en masse. Until then, he'll receive around 50 or so companies per turn, but as we all know....Union elements don't refill as quickly as Confederate elements do. So the timing of Grant's repulse may end up being Lee's saving grace.

Now...all that said. I won't rejoice for long. With Jackson's retreat from Virginia, around 60,000 federal troops will now be free to join the North Carolina front in the form of Hamilton, Franklin and Dix's fresh Union Corps. My troops will need to clean the muskets and arm for battle again soon I suspect...another wave of attacks can't be far off. This time I think Soundoff will try to wiggle around my western flank....the "long way" if you will. If he does...and I manage to get J.E.B Stuart back in one piece...I'll do the best to make that line of supply nearly impossible to keep intact. Otherwise I plan to assemble a defensive line with Lee's newly reorganized Army of North Carolina.

As was the case before, the line will be anchored at Goldsboro and run in an L-shape between Wilmington and Raleigh. Regretably, Raleigh will actually be quite isolated from the rest of the line, but I hope to remedy that with the addition of a 4th Corps command after this turn is completed. Until then, The new army...consisting now of 3 Corps...under Generals Beauregard, G.W. Smith and Forney will begin the "L"...and begin digging in deep. Bory will make up the far left flank, Smith the center and Forney the refused right flank. Lastly, Lee with the HQ and a small garrison will remain in the vicinity of Wilmington and Fort Bee to complete the line.

It will be a strong position given the time it will need to get fully entrenched...and with the forts protecting the most valuable points along its length...Soundoff should have a pretty tough time cracking this defensive line...even with overwhelming numbers. What I really hope...is that I discourage a landward advance into North Carolina...and force Soundoff to take the seaward route...where I have plenty more surprises waiting for him :) .

All that in consideration...I will not forget the vulnerability of my supply situation. There is only a thin rail-line linking Lee's army with South Carolina and Georgia and their important supply and ammo stores. So I suspect I will be just as busy protecting that line from Soundoff...as Soundoff will be protecting his from my marauding cavalry. In that line of thinking, General Whiting, at the head of the 1st Virginia cavalry brigade will make for Augusta Georgia to help deal with Grierson's raiding troopers. Also Ransom's 28th North Carolina cavalry will be tasked with intercepting Pleasanton's horsemen and hopefully trapping and destroying them.

On to the west:

Little action on this front. You can see the dispositions of the main field armies for each side in Tennessee. Meade has Bragg outnumbered about 2 to 1...but the mountains will make any attack by Meade...a bloody one...especially if I am allowed the luxury of time to continue digging in. Now...where things COULD unravel is with supply. Bragg's army is already hurting for supply as (as was the case historically) most of the supply produced in Georgia is sent east to feed Lee's army. Of course Bragg complains to Atlanta with good reason. His army is, afterall, quite a bit closer to the capitol city than Lee's.

All that aside, some logistical moves and manufacture this turn. I have a new fort beginning construction in Chattanooga...the completion of which will make the city virtually impregnable. What with the mountains combined with the fort...AND the river crossing to get to it...I'll be able to confidently withdrawl my line fully behind the Tennessee River if need be once all is prepared. The fort will make an advance from the north quite a bit less likely...then I'll need to keep an eye toward Knoxville and/or Montgomery, AL. Speaking of Knoxville, another move I decided to make was to take A.P. Stewart's division out of the works around the east Tennessee town and join A.S. Johnston in Atlanta to bolster the capitol's direct defense. I will also allow McLaw's division to collect much needed replacements and hopefully return him to Polk's Corps in turn.

Now, the problems of supply...made worse by Grierson. I will need to deal with him if I hope to keep those important rail supply routes in service. I've tasked Wheeler with intercepting Grierson's cavalry...again....hopefully trapping them in enemy territory and destroying them. I will repair the rails in Rome with Morgan's command...and then move his south to set up for raids against the Union supply route running north from Pensacola. Finally, Armstrong and a detached regiment of cavalry from Wheeler's command will chase down a small Union detachment which recently moved to cut the rails between Chattanooga and Knoxville. It's clear that Soundoff is trying to isolate Bragg's army...I hope to get the better of his raiding cavalry. Assisting Armstrong will be two small garrison regiments...who will be ordered to rail over and hold the enemy cavalry in place so Armstrong can follow and destroy it.

Moving south into Georgia and Alabama now:

You can't see it on the screenie, but included in that stack with Hooker....none other than Milroy...who had apparently just dissappeared from my view. Discouraging...for several reasons. It means Soundoff will be able to replace Milroy's tattered command with fresh troops...and it means Atlanta is no longer safe from a Southwesterly push. Being that Talliaferro was placed badly out of position to be of any help to either Johnston or the defence of Atlanta...It appears Soundoff will have an open run at Columbus with Hooker if he wishes to take it. So I plan to deny him that important depot and place priority on protecting the capitol. Johnston will destroy the depot and rail north to Atlanta to join up with Breckinridge and Polignac's divisions and reorganize. It won't be long until they are joined by Tally's troops...as well as A.P. Stewart, Rhodes (who as you can see is undertaking the recapture of fort Gadsden this turn....here's to hoping for a promotion!) and lastly...Garnder...who I've elected to send north with the Mississippi brigade to add to Johnston's number. All told, there should be around 25,000 or 30,000 troops in Atlanta once all formations are mustered. It may be enough to go on the offensive before winter...but I'll have to wait and see.

Over in Mississippi...literally nothing happening...and no idea what MIGHT happen:

Obviously I have little respect for McClellan. Sheridan is the one I'm worried about. Where on earth is Soundoff sending him?? He's bound to start experiencing some supply trouble soon right? Time will tell I suppose. I will just have to hold tight and keep a sharp eye. New Orleans remains strong...Baton Rouge now has a respectable garrison. Buchannan's fleet will complete its move to rest and repair in New Orleans as well.

Now...the finale...California!

My latest intel puts the defence force in San Fran at just a LITTLE under the power rating of Wharton's army. Wharton is also inactive this turn so it will be a move to siege for the time being. This will be an interesting story to follow. If Wharton can take San Francisco, It will put thousands more in gold in the Confederate coffers...and perhaps distract some attention away from more important theaters of the war. Hopefully I can get some early breeches and storm the city before Soundoff is able to relieve the siege.

Also some action in governance...some good news as you'll see in the screenie as well:

That ironworks is huge. My troops need all the supplies they can get. I'm still liking the VP count. If I lose the edge in VP's by a significant amount (say 300)...I plan to, at that time, concede defeat. Considering the per-turn difference...Soundoff could actually sit back and do nothing through winter and likely grab a significant edge in VP's.

I've managed to keep my NM pretty high. Happy about that for sure.

I will continue my investments in the Carolinas and Georgia.

SO

Will Jackson's troops get away without starving?? Can Wheeler catch Grierson and destroy him?? Will Hooker strike into Georgia...or retreat to Florida? Stay tuned....

acme
Corporal

Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:41 pm

thx for the update!

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:32 pm

[color="Red"]Turn 57, Early August, 1863:[/color]

Well I'm having some trouble with posting my screenies today, but I'll give everyone a taste of what transpired in the last turn. It was a pretty quiet turn altogether, though a couple of discouraging things happened which I'll note in the headlines.

[SIZE="2"]Yanks press down the Mississippi, sieze Baton Rouge!![/size]

(It appears I should have given McClellan a little more respect. Not necessarily the man, but his command. It would seem Soundoff detached a single division of McClellan's Corps and assaulted Baton Rouge by way of Natchez to the north. It's a frustrating loss because it means I lose the extra VP's...those are a commidity of high value for me right now. Otherwise...the silver lining of the loss is simply that...it's not New Orleans.)

Jackson survives, gathers strength in the Cumberland Mountains!! (Well quite the opposite of what I expected, Jackson actually GAINED strength during the last turn instead of losing it to attrition. I'm guessing he lost some troops to starvation, but my investment in replacements came in handy for him or something. Not quite sure how it worked, but again, I'll take it.)

Hooker's army marches into Georgia!! (Much like Milroy before him, Hooker marches un-opposed into Georgia, but luckily won't have the luxury of a depot there. A.S. Johnston was able to destroy it and get away before Hooker arrived. It means Soundoff can either risk cutting Hooker off...as he did with Milroy...or do the smart thing and withdrawl. More on that in a moment though.)

Grierson's Georgia raid continues unchecked!! (As I suspected, Grierson is becoming a true thorn in my side. I haven't been able to catch him...yet...hopefully this turn I will have the strength and speed to trap him.)

Fort Buckner nearly complete in Chattanooga!! (This is good news. It will severely hamper any attempts by Soundoff to link up his supply network from Nashville to Atlanta should he attempt to invade from the north. This fort MAY offer me the opportunity to operate quickly to repulse his campaign in Alabama with Bragg's army...then return in time to keep Meade at bay.

Wharton settles in for siege of San Francisco!! (No opposition out in the far west...but an un-commanded garrison to deal with inside the city that is just as strong as my well commanded army. The tough decision this turn will be what exactly to do...wait...or risk everything in an assault. More on that when I can get my screenies posted.)

As I mentioned...it'll be a little time before I'm able to get my next-turn orders up. But I should be able to by tonight or tommorrow depending on how imageshack feels :) . Hope the above at least gives readers a little something to chew on.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:41 am

Alright, so on to orders for Early August...the summer is winding down, but it would appear another round of bloody campaigning may be just over the horizon.

In the East:

Jackson is in a MUCH better position than I thought. Apparently his troops were able to gather up enough food for the march into the Cumberland Mountains...as were Stuart's troopers. This is great news, being that they'll be moving in a different direction than I had originally intended based on the very fact they are in much better shape than I had originally expected.

Grant's army appears a mere shadow of its former glory. Crittenden's Corps has gone completely missing. I don't know if Soundoff has pulled it off the line...or if he's preparing something much more nefarious for me down the coast...or if Crittenden will be back to his "fort hopping" ways soon. Currently that leaves Grant, with his reserve, still tattered from the failed assault on Wilmington a month before...McDowell with about 23,000 troops I'd guess keeping watch on the center of the line...and then Berry with a pair of divisions....probably around 15,000 men. Averell has a small Corps to Grant's left, but hardly enough to be worried about. It's a strong line that I know I won't be able to break with my current strength...and it is one that appears to be strengthening itself toward my western flank. I see that depot being built at Hillsboro there. methinks Soundoff is more readily preparing for a drive into western North Carolina...the swamps of the coast just don't suit him anymore :) .

Lee's army has taken up positions in the "L" I mentioned earlier...only there was one small discouraging rule I learned while issuing orders this turn...you can't teleport a leader into a province with less than 6% MC...so....I wasn't able to teleport a leader into the besieged force at Raliegh to link up Lee's army along the entire line. Bee will have to hold out on his own. If nothing else...keeping my garrison inside Fort Jones relatively weak might tempt Soundoff into another bloody assault...probably victorious...but bloody for sure.

This turn I've decided to bring Jackson and Stuart directly back to North Carolina instead of the long way around. It will mean another march with few supplies...but Jackson's 12,000 troops are badly needed to at least somewhat balance what WILL be another 60,000 Union troops headed to the front...NOT including Soundoff's replacements which aren't far off. With Jackson's troops included...Lee will have some 70,000 total troops at his disposal across the entire front from Wilmington to Raliegh. With Hamilton, Franklin and Dix...Grant will have close to double that. I sense another offensive may be coming before winter sets in. We'll have to wait and see.

E. Johnston...inactive once again (drat!)...will continue his withdrawal up the valley. He's managed to avoid contact with Hamilton this entire time and from my intel...it appears Hamilton's troops are suffering from some pretty low cohesion from all the chasing. I'd be happy if Johnston's troops could both survive...and keep a significant number of Union troops' attention northward. That's probably asking a little too much from an opponent like Soundoff.

In the West:

Very little action on this front. The main armies remain in position north of Chattanooga, there have only been some small movements on Meade's part. He has moved his reserve, Thomas's Corps and Rosecrans Corps south of the Tennessee River into Alabama...I'd expect in a probe to discover how effective a flanking move might be. It's left Sumner's Corps quite isolated in Winchester, TN. It's also put Polk in a considerably bad position...even with the mountains and strong trenches...were Thomas AND Rosey to attack...Polk would likely be pushed back. I need to hold the line...back to that in a moment.

Hooker is in Columbus...WITHOUT a depot thank goodness. It means he won't have any way of staying in Georgia for the long term at all...and with Rhodes taking for Gadsden to the south (you can't see that...he'll take the fort this turn)...there'd be no way to supply Columbus from the sea without retaking the fort. A.S. Johnston is mustering his army in Atlanta...perhaps he'll be able to make a drive into Alabama before winter...again...wishful thinking I'm sure.

I am moving Tally, Stewart, and Gardner to Atlanta as planned...McLaws will move back to assist Polk...as will Taylor's division (now under Bragg in the center of his line). Johnston will send one division to replace Taylor in the center. Basically it is a shift along the line to address the new and stronger threat of Thomas and Rosecrans on my left flank.

Now...to Grierson...who has become a TRUE problem. I will need to catch up with him soon..and hopefully kill his troopers...but he's proven slippery thus far. So I'm going to go after him with all three of my main cavalry forces. As you can see that will be around 6,000 troopers of mine chasing nearly a sixth that many troopers of Soundoff's. Morgan, Wheeler and Winder are all set to "intercept" Grierson wherever he goes...each general will travel by rail where he can to catch him. Hopefully it works.

Along the Gulf:

The screenie does most of the talking here. McClellan was able to detach a division and take Baton Rouge...I have decided to counter that move considering the much reduced threat to New Orleans (by way of Hooker being in Alabama). Henry Heth will be sent up-river and ordered to join W.H.F. Lee's remnants to confront the Union troops and possibly push them out. Should that prove impossible...I will retire...for now though...Baton Rouge is important because of it's VP's and if I can get them back then I'll give it my best try.

The rest of the screenie shows the basic dispositions, strengths and approximate strengths of the rest of the forces in-theatre. Not much to report. Mobile is safe for now...as is New Orleans.

In California:

No screenie...very sorry...but Wharton has arrived and taken about 45% MC of the region. What I want is to be able to keep the Union garrison bottled up in San Franscisco and not allow them to take up positions OUTSIDE the city...so instead of assaulting the town as I'd mentioned prior. I've decided to put Wharton in "cautious attack" stance in order to engage and hopefully defeat any troops Soundoff decides to sally out of the city. Hopefully I'll be able to achieve a few breaches and then assault the town soon...that gold will be VERY welcome in the Confederate treasury.

SO

Can Grierson be stopped?? Where will Hooker go next?? Is Meade planning a flanking march?? Stay tuned...

MrT
Colonel

Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:54 am

Hey banks.. whats your current national moral? If you make it too next spring.. you can win via the Lincoln election event? you only need 100nm to win via that. From what ive seen previously that could be possible. As long as you dont lose a key city or take a drubbing in the remaining campaigning turns.. victory could well be yours?

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:18 am

@MrT--As far as I have interpreted...that rule applies only to Union NM...and means only that the normal 25 NM defeat threshold...is increased to 60 NM. I don't think the event applies to Confederate NM at all. Somone can let me know if I'm wrong about that.

But to answer your question, my current NM is 95.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:05 pm

Banks6060 wrote:*whack*
you can't teleport a leader into a province with less than 6% MC...
*whack*

It's actually 25%. It's the magic number; no supply, no rail travel, no redeployments in or out.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:02 pm

[color="Red"]Turn 58, Late August, 1863:[/color]

Hooker's army withdrawls from Georgia!! (Rejoicing in the streets of Atlanta as Hooker's troops are sent back to Montgomery by Lincoln and the Union high command. I'm assuming Soundoff felt Hooker was a little too isolated in Columbus and felt the need to regroup. While it is welcome news...it is Soundoff's strength in Alabama that is now quite disconcerting. More in a moment.)

Grierson's troopers sack Augusta, Morgan's counterattack fails!!

(As you can see, a rather dissapointing battle. It appears a really lucky die roll and some pretty seasoned troopers helped Grierson fight off Morgan's cavalry brigade. Bloody fighting to be sure. I knew Grierson would become a real pain for me...I had also hoped THREE cavalry commands might be able to catch and destroy him. Apparently my hopes were a little too high. Now Soundoff will be able to destroy yet another precious depot...unless of course I can eject him first. We'll see.)

Fort Gadsden Falls to Rhodes!! (The result I was waiting for. Now Georgia can be secured from any southerly incursions and should Soundoff manage to advance and hold onto Columbus, GA...his troops won't be able to receive supplies by sea. Also worth noting...Rhodes gets a promotion!:thumbsup :)

Wharton settles for seige in California!! (No Union thrust to come out of the city...so a seige it is for the moment. Although I am sure that by now Soundoff is sending reinforcements west to deal with Wharton. I certainly hope that is the case...the more troops sent AWAY from the main theaters of war....the better.)

On to orders for Late August Turn, Starting in the east:

The summer had been a relatively good one for the Confederacy, but as the weather began to cool...so did the mood in Atlanta as members of the Confederate leadership in Congress and in the White House looked eastward at the ever growing Union host. One can imagine the look of utter disbelief on Davis's face upon reading Lee's scouting reports and examining the lines in North Carolina. For three months Lee and Jackson had given Grant and his northern army everything they could muster...had sent them reeling in bloody defeat...yet it was as if for every man killed or wounded...two had taken his place. Autumn was near...and it would appear the autumn of the young Confederacy along with it. It would be a tough strech ahead...and the President along with General Lee knew it.

The above would basically sum up my feeling when looking over the campaign map for the late August turn in North Carolina. Despair. I knew what it must have felt like for Lee during the 1864 campaigns to see that despite how many Union troops he managed to kill...more still came. You can see all of the Union stacks adjacent to mine. I fear my prediction of an oncoming Union offensive may be proven correct this turn...but enough of that for a moment. An overview of dispositions is in order.

Soundoff has brought up Franklin's Corps...another 16,000 or so fresh troops to put on the line. Berry remains entrenched in lines facing G.W. Smith's Corps...McDowell straddles the line between Berry and the siege at Raleigh...and that's where we find Whipple's troops. Mind you Whipple is fresh...though I seriously doubt Soundoff will try for an assault on the fort with a full division defending it at present. There are various smaller commands, I suspect tasked with defending Grant's ever lengthening supply line.

Lee remains in a strong, mutually supporting line between Raleigh and Wilmington. Jackson, whose troops were hard hit by attrition during the march through the Blue Ridge Mountains is a 4 days march from Lexington, NC. Stuart's cavalry managed to reach the town in one piece. One thing I don't like about Lee's position though....none of his Corps are very deeply dug in...and G.W. Smith's MC of Sampson, NC is not sufficient to eject Berry, which I plan to address this turn. You can also see in the insert that Johnston remains inactive in the valley...slowly making his way home. He managed to shake off an assault by a division of cavalry last turn causing the Union troopers some heavy casualties...but his situation remains dire. He needs to get back to a supply source soon.

So with Franklin's presence in North Carolina...I can't help but expect an offensive of some sort SOMEWHERE along my line....or around it. The route around my left flank remains open...Whipple could easily swing round and cut Lee's line of supply to South Carolina and Georgia. Or McDowell and Berry...possibly with Franklin's help...could come lurching forward at Smith or Beauregard and force a major engagement. The battle of attrition sets in now and I must admit...winter and the draft couldn't come any faster for Lee and his battered Army of North Carolina.

While I simply hate just sitting on the defensive and allowing Soundoff the initiative, I haven't much choice at the moment. I have a strong defensive line...Soundoff has the problem of trying to figure a way to take these strong forts I've built...so...it's sit and wait for now. Though I do plan to move one division, under Hood, to strengthen G.W. Smith's Corps outside Goldsboro.

Jackson will move to Lexington and join Stuart there...where several small cavalry commands will join him. Jackson's troops will need time to rest. I suspect they'll be called on again to buy the south more time soon enough.

In the West:

Really not much to report in Tennessee. Bragg's line remains strong in the mountains. There is one interesting little piece of intel I noticed here. You'll see how Rosecrans Corps...once four divisions strong...now has only two divisions. Surely I would have seen them march away. As I began to investigate this little oddity...I noticed several regions to the south of Rosecrans Corps had been visited by Union troops...because Union MC was up slightly. Apparently those missing divisions had slipped south...I presume in a sneak attack against Atlanta...or to join the army forming in Montgomery.

With that in mind, and in conjuction with an operation I will undergo with the Army of Georgia, I have opted to pull Cleburne's division off the line and rail it to Atlanta to aid in its defense.

Speaking of Atlanta...we'll move to the Georgian theater:

You'll remember those two missing divisions I mentioned...low and behold...there they are in Montgomery. A sly dog that Soundoff...hat's off to him. And they're under the able command of John Reynolds no less. Also It is QUITE clear now why Hooker left Georgia...AND where Soundoff intended to send Sheridan...whose troops made an amazing march all the way from Vicksburg to Montgomery. Soundoff is gathering strength in Alabama. Disconcerting for sure, but not entirely unexpected...since this "underbelly" approach is the most condusive for offensive operations as opposed to the rugged terrain to the north.

This makes clear the mission of A.S. Johnston's Army of Georgia...he MUST face Hooker's army...and he must defeat it. As you can see, I've reorganized Johnston's army into 4 divisions...around 21,000 men. First and foremost...Johnston is tasked with retaking some of the rail lines running between Hooker and Atlanta...each of the Union controlled regions has more than enough room for Soundoff to quickly rail his troops back and forth up the line and pose a continuing threat to Atlanta. So those lines need to be brought back under Confederate control. All the while I need to protect Johnston's rear.

To that end, I will split Johnston's army in two....the main force...about 15,000 troops will march directly Southwest to the forrested region just opposite Hooker's army in Montgomery. This is a very important region to hold onto. Controlling it will mean forcing Soundoff to either attack Johnston head-on...or pick a longer flanking route...most likely the northern route...to get behind Johnston and sieze Atlanta. The reason I say the northern route is the most likely is this....it's tough to see on the screenie, but marching AROUND that forrested region to the SOUTH...would cross four regions...and three rivers...a move most likely to "Tip Soundoff's hand"...as well as leave open his rear. S.D. Lee will lead the other portion of the army...he will march southwest, then cut directly south to secure the rails west of Columbus and then meet Johnston's main force in the forrest. Lastly, Bohnam, who has taken over Rhodes former command (Rhodes will be promoted this turn to Corps command)...will move and occupy Columbus itself.

I suspect I may meet Hooker's entire army somewhere in the space between Montgomery, but hopes are that Soundoff will sit tight and allow me to make my move unhindered. Fingers crossed for sure.

Now Grierson...SOMEHOW...was able to sneak behind my line and take Augusta out from under my nose...I can't believe it. I KNEW I should have kept Whiting there to defend the depot. Ah well...mistakes are a part of war I suppose. But...I need to take care of Grierson once and for all. I noticed his cohesion is well below effective levels...so I will order another attack with Morgan's troopers...who will board a train and mount the assault. It will be one day's travel before battle is joined...all hopes are that Morgan is able to boot Grierson out of Augusta before Grierson can destroy the depot. If not, then Wheeler will rail over and get the job done. However Wheeler won't arrive until day 6....too late to save the depot....but possibly in time to deal a death blow to Grierson's command.

Some interesting activity in the bayou:

A very large Union river fleet has appeared outside Baton Rouge, it would appear, with the rest of McClellan's army aboard transports. It is a fortunate situation though...apparently Israel Richardson thought it best to retreat within the town's defensive works and allow Henry Heth to settle in for a siege...it means the strategic tide in the region has turned in my favor. While I haven't trapped Richardson...I certainly made it a situation where attacking Heth would be downright deadly. It also means Richardson must retreat...or face starvation. I suspect Soundoff will sneak Richardson's division out of Baton Rouge's harbor and retreat with his large fleet north. A blessing that I will not be cornered in New Orleans...yet.

I suspect some very heated naval engagements are yet to come...Soundoff has just the right number of ironclads to stand against my small but strong fleet of 6 ironclads. Buchannan and Foote will go toe-to-toe soon enough.

Lastly, a couple of raids:

In an effort to make myself as much a pain along Soundoff's river supply line as I can...I am dispatching Ruggle's small cavalry command north to cause trouble in Tennessee and Kentucky. Also a small group of partisans are orderd north to tear up rails and sow as much discontent as possible near Memphis.

In California:

The siege continues...but Wharton has only about 3 turns worth of supply to sustain him. I will need to assault San Francisco soon I think...or simply leave it be and call the operation a failure...or at best...a distraction.

SO

Will Grant come forward again?? Will Johnston and Hooker face-off in Alabama?? Stay tuned friends...

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:53 pm

[color="Red"]Turn 59, Early September 1863:[/color]

[SIZE="4"]Grant and Lee collide at Battle of Fort Pickett!![/size]

(Well first, as usual, you are seeing an inaccurate tally of men involved in the fight according to the above battle report. As I parused the message log, I discovered "The Battle of Fort Pickett" was quite a large affair....involving the entirety of Lee's Army of North Carolina (save Jackson's tired Corps) and a good majority of Grant's Army of Northeastern Virginia. McDowell MTG'd to Franklin and Berry's aid in the fight...so I'd say the total number of troops involved were around 45,000 for Lee and closer to 60,000 for Grant. It was the offensive that I'd feared....and despite my solid defensive position outside the fort...even my entire army was not enough to force the three strong Union Corps to leave the field. Smith was forced back...and now only a small garrison is left to protect the fort against nearly 20 times their number. The line in North Carolina is broken...the back of the Confederacy may well have broken with it. What's more is the loss of another 9,000 men from Lee's already battered army. As was the case with history...Lee's army cannot sustain these casualty levels...more on the situation following this key battle in a moment.)

[SIZE="3"]Johnston routed at West Point!![/size]

(My gambit to insulate Atlanta from any direct threat falls right into the waiting arms of Sheridan...and is utterly repulsed. The message log showed that Johnston's army had routed from the field once all was said and done...and had sustained more than 100 hits in doing so. As opposed to the battle report in the east...this one is accurate as far as troop strength goes. As you can see, a relatively even fight. My three divisions against his...in clear terrain. It would appear the combination of Sheridan's superb attack rating, his division commanders' attack ratings, and his troops stellar cohesion...won the day for Sheridan. Who was able to break Johnston's army. I envision an hours long struggle with both sides unwavering until a final attack broke the confederate line and sent them fleeing in utter disorder. Even more casualties the south cannot afford. A bit of a silver lining though...I was at least not up against Hooker's entire army. Also....to have had S.D. Lee's division in the fight might have tipped the balance in my favor.)

[SIZE="4"]Augusta, bloody Augusta!![/size]

(Now I know why my repeated attempts at ejecting Grierson failed. Look at those Union horse artillery stats compared to mine. HOLY COW. I had NO idea the union horse artillery became so good later in the game. Good to know now....certainly a VERY hard lesson though....one which cost me around 2,000 lives. Now the Augusta depot is no more...Bragg and Johnston's supply situation further complicated. I have to rebuild that depot as soon as possible. Tip of the hat to Soundoff on a most successful raid! :hat :)

[SIZE="4"]Bragg's trenches scare Meade out of his wits!![/size] (Apparently Soundoff has given up on any offensive action through Tennessee for the time being. We'll have to keep an eye on this front. But it's certainly a nice bit of breathing room. This theater is one where I will not allow myself the guilty pleasure of going on the offensive unless it is absolutetly necessary...but more on that later.)

Yankees escape Baton Rouge, retreat north!! (As i expected, McClellan's army along with Foote's river fleet have fled back to Vicksburg considering the dire situation of Richardson's besieged division in Baton Rouge last turn. I am glad to see them go...I plan to put a little pressure on "Little Mac's" army this time around. We'll see how Soundoff handles it.

Wharton's troops wonder, "Where's the gold??"

General Wharton and his ragtag army of Regular army men, militia, Texas rangers and Indians was begginning to get impatient...not to mention low on supply. They'd been promised a share of the riches once San Francisco had been captured. But alas, the city remained in Union hands as did the riches. There was even talk that the rangers and natives had planned to abandon the campaign...Wharton was in trouble...far from home...and had few options...

To orders...we'll start in the east...where things are looking rather grim for Lee and his army at the moment:

So the full balance of Soundoff's eastern army has been brought to bear. It is an imposing sight to be sure. 6 Corps total...some 115,000 troops now with Hamilton's mega-sized Corps in-theater. And that's a conservative estimate. Lee's army now faces a similar dilemma to that of Lee's army in history when it stood before Hooker's massive host prior to Chansellorsville. And it is a miracle of Chansellorsville's proportion that I must hope for. With Jackson's Corps included, Lee's army numbers roughly a third Grant's number. 43,000 battle weary soldiers.

Grant's army is now arrayed in a strong line besieging my two forward forts...Jones and Pickett. Kearney leads a Corps at the extreme right of Soundoff's line...protecting his new supply depot at Hillsboro. Whipple remains in his siege works outside Fort Jones, McDowell in the center with Hamilton not far behind in reserve...and now Franklin's Corps...along with Berry outside Fort Pickett.

Now, I wish to take this time to remind you kind readers and students of the game out there of the very pregnability of forts. If you take a gander at the game manual....you'll see that according to siege rules...achieving 2 "breaches" in a fort will reduce it's defensive value drastically...making it's value almost moot. Such is the case with the two afformentioned forts, who are now under the frowning gaze of more than 400 Union guns. Doubtless if Soundoff doesn't know that already...he WILL know soon enough. And won't waste ANY time in assaulting both forts once his guns have reduced them to nothing more than sparsely arranged piles of earth and sand. SO....with that in mind...I must accept that General Bee's 8,000 men are likely doomed for the long run...as well as my small garrison inside Fort Pickett...unless by some miracle I'm able to get them out of their respective regions.

I've been placed in a very unfavorable strategic situation having reviewed the above. I've effectively lost my defensive line...once which I'd hoped to have been able to hold until winter and strengthen thereafter. Now...Lee's army is left completely in the open against an army 3 times its size. And it will merely be a matter of time before Soundoff takes the forts and surges forward for one last push to take Wilmington and the rest of the Atlantic coast....that's NOT taking into account any amphibous operations he may have planned.

Considering this "very unfavorable strategic situation". I sat back this turn and weighed the options:

1. Regroup with Jackson's Corps...and Edward Johnston now returning from Virginia and form a new, weaker defensive line of trenches outside Wilmington.

2. Leave a small garrison in Wilmington, consider North Carolina a loss, and withdraw to new defensive positions in South Carolina and await what will surely be an overwhelming Union onslaught in Spring of '64 if not sooner.

or

3. Go out with some dignity (and admitedly some gusto) and see if I can't scare Soundoff into both staying put AND NOT assaulting either fort before the winter draft comes to bolster Lee's army.

:D

Of course you know me.......option number 3 just sounds too good to pass up.

Being that North Carolina and its environs remain solidly in my control...I plan to engage in a campaign of confusion...and delay...and perhaps some offensive action somewhere in there.

Lee's army, for the time being, is ordered to concentrate at Lumberton, NC. There I will reorganize the army and prepare for the fall campaign.

What I want...is simple...to keep Lee's army off Soundoff's radar for as LONG as possible...in part using Stuart's cavalry....and in part just staying as fluid as possible. I want Soundoff to be so caught up in tracking Lee's army down that he completely forgets about striking at my weakly defended forts...and instead devotes all of his Corps to either defending his rear depots or to trying to find Lee. Perhaps if the opportunity presents itself to catch a lone Union Corps advancing in unfriendly terrain...I can meet and defeat it on the field. Deception...the name of the game until winter sets in and I can replace Lee's losses. Once again...here's to luck.

Moving now to Georgia:

Johnston's army is still, surprisingly in pretty decent shape given the whooping it received at West Point. The dispositions are odd though. S.D. Lee managed to make it to his wooded objective safely...Bushrod Johnston (who I mistakenly called Bohnam last turn) made it to Columbus.

Sheridan's Corps holds West Point....in a good position to attack Atlanta if Soundoff so chooses...a move I don't consider likely judging by the apparent lack of cohesion within Sheridan's ranks. Hooker, with the balance of the coastal army remains in Montgomery. A tough situation...one in which I must recoil and reorganize.

Johnston's various divisions are re-called back to Atlanta to prevent its seizure...and to regroup. I don't yet know what I plan to do in this theater...but at least for now...I hand the initiative over to Soundoff.

A quick shot of Tennessee:

Not much action at all...though Soundoff has pulled Mead back. I think my opponent is content to just let Bragg's army rot....which it very well may do considering the fact it hasn't been fully supplied in months.

I've noted both Johnston's return from the valley...

and the apparent absence of another division from Meade's army...this one from Thomas's Corps. Where on earth is Soundoff sending all these troops? My closest guess would put them in Alabama...but Soundoff HAS to know he's getting close to be over his own supply capacity in that theater...considering the fact he has only one supply depot on the coast...and a small harbor for it at that. Hmmmm...

Along the Mississippi river....I've decided to press my advantage:

Being that my river fleet is now fully repaired...Henry Heth is ordered north to Natchez to provide McClellan with a little more to think about. I dont' want the northern approaches to New Orleans to go uncontested...so digging in at Natchez will prove valuable to slowing Soundoff's advance down the river...that's if he allows me the chance to get settled in. Then there's Foote's ironclads to worry about. I have 6 of my own...but against 12...Buchannan's small river fleet may simply be outmatched.

Out in California:

Wharton decides to go for the assault. It will only be a probing assault to test the defenders' strength. But a spirited one.

SO

Will Grant keep the pressure on in North Carolina?? Will Hooker take a stab at Atlanta?? Can Wharton breakthrough in San Francisco?? Stay tuned...

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:09 pm

I think Union horse arty is always much, much better than CSA horse arty. Just like USA 6 and 12 lbers are significantly better than their CSA counterparts. Were CSA batteries that useless in real life?

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:13 am

[color="Red"]Turn 60, Late September, 1863:[/color]

[color="Black"]All Quiet on the Eastern Front...[/color] (Somewhat unexpectedly, Soundoff did not attack either fort Pickett or fort Jones. He has well over 100,000 troops stationed in North Carolina now...it's forced me to change my strategy somewhat. Details shortly.

Food riots in Mobile!! (The population in Mobile, surrounded by yankees on nearly all sides, is beginning to get restless. Pro-union sentiment is also at an all time high. The city may well be taken from within rather than from without.)

[SIZE="3"]Assault on San Francisco repulsed, Wharton flees!![/size]

(While it's not surprising that I was defeated...I did NOT expect to sustain such high losses. That's nearly a 20% casualty rate for Wharton's rag-tag army. I'm afraid it's high time to cut my losses and get out while I still have supplies to feed me.)

Union supply lines streched in Alabama!! (Confederate scouts have discovered what would appear to be a rather tired and hungry Union army in Alabama. Soundoff needs to take a deep water port in order to ensure his army's supply...otherwise he won't be able to keep it large enough to present a legitimate threat to Atlanta. I have some plans for this theater though...)

Bragg's army left to starve in the mountains!! (Times are getting very hard for the Army of Tennessee...troops are being forced to pick amongst a dwindling supply of natural sources for sustenance...and the lack of good nutrition is beginning to foster disease. Hundreds of men either desert or starve in a matter of days.)

I feel the situation calls for a narrative....

The autumn wind wept as it blew through the cracks of the poorly fashioned Presidential Residence in midtown Atlanta. And as Jefferson Davis sat alone in his bed chamber, the light from a waning moon blanketing the room with a forboding glow, he wrestled with the idea that had haunted him ever since Grant had forced him to move his seat of power from Richmond. He was losing. Not only was he losing, his men in the field...fathers, brothers, sons, uncles...were starving...and they were exhausted.

Davis looked up at a painting on the wall across the room, a portrait. It had been brushed a little more than two years before, when spirits across the south were high and hope for a new and better nation were still alive with vigor. It seemed rather unbelievable that times such as those even existed, let alone could be remembered. Davis recalled the day he'd stood for hours while the artist toiled over the canvas, stopping only for a moment while a messenger brought the news of the disaster at Annapolis to his attention. It was as if Davis could see the look of despair in his own eyes as he looked into the painting. It was as if it had a soul. It was as if the past was beckoning to him...his own soul, frozen in trepidation calling to him to end this thing....this revolution.

Britain and France had long ago abandoned any thought of offering military aid of any fashion to the south. They hadn't even considered diplomatic recognition. Their recent pleasantries could be explained simply enough. Davis knew the foreign powers were simply rebuilding bridges with those they needed to remain in good relations with what would be the rejoined...and ultimately rejuvinated American Union.

While his diplomats floundered in their efforts across the ocean, his Generals kept a steady stream of torrid messages coming to his office in Atlanta. They told of Union armies numbering in the hundreds of thousands. Grant had broken the Wilmington/Raleigh line outside Fort Pickett, the door to the Carolinas now thrust open. Meade, though quiet in Tennessee, appeared to simply be waiting until Bragg's army faded into dust. Hooker's army, the most troubling menace, was having supply problems of its own...but had again bested Sidney Johnston and continued to pose a direct threat to the Confederate Capitol. General Lee's army...simply put...was exhausted. His soldiers had been marching and fighting for an entire spring and summer holding off Grant's massive army. Lee did well enough...but had ultimately failed. The newly built factories and supply yards in North Carolina would have been a much cherished prize to have retained over the winter months. Now only Georgia and South Carolina were left to feed Davis's hungry armies.

Even Mobile, among the strongest of the Confederate strongholds, was beginning to fall apart from within. Unionist support, no doubt drummed up by Federal agents stationed in the Gulf with the Union army, was starting to win over the city's populace. New Orleans was still firmly within the south's grasp, but it would only be a matter of time before McClellan came knocking on its door. The situation was desperate.

It was at this moment that Davis opened the telegraph he'd been sent from Lee in North Carolina. It was nothing if not very short...and very direct.

"To the honorable President of the Confederacy, Jefferson Davis,

North Carolina is lost, I move to destroy Hooker.

MC,
R.E. Lee"

Davis looked up at the painting once more...his great Generals were doing all he had asked them to do. He only needed the strength to stop them...strength his hopeful and stubborn heart had yet to muster...

To be continued....

slimey.rock
Major

Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:39 am

Banks6060 wrote:
"To the honorable President of the Confederacy, Jefferson Davis,

North Carolina is lost, I move to destroy Hooker.

MC,
R.E. Lee"

I love it :thumbsup:

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:00 am

I hope this doesn't have any effect on your gameplay, but... you're screwed. You have a massive army set to storm your last two Atlantic states, and your only defenses are either starving or moving out of position. Now is really the time for a triple miracle in Raleigh, Goldsboro, and (to a lesser extent) Wilmington.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:40 am

enf91 wrote:I hope this doesn't have any effect on your gameplay, but... you're screwed. You have a massive army set to storm your last two Atlantic states, and your only defenses are either starving or moving out of position. Now is really the time for a triple miracle in Raleigh, Goldsboro, and (to a lesser extent) Wilmington.

lol....well duh...of course I'm screwed. Hence the rather depressing tone of the narrative :) . But I'm not gonna give up while I still have armies to fight with and a lead in VP's.

enf91...I wish to dub you "Captain Obvious" from here forward :neener: .

Only kidding friend. I like to throw an elbow here and there...it's all in good fun. But certainly...Read On! :thumbsup:

gchristie
Brigadier General

You've outdone yourself

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:46 am

Davis looked up at the painting once more...his great Generals were doing all he had asked them to do. He only needed the strength to stop them...strength his hopeful and stubborn heart had yet to muster...

To be continued....[/I]

Just when I think you couldn't possibly do a better job with this AAR...

Bravo, Banks!
"Now, back to Rome for a quick wedding - and some slow executions!"- Miles Gloriosus

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:51 am

Banks6060 wrote:lol....well duh...of course I'm screwed. Hence the rather depressing tone of the narrative :) . But I'm not gonna give up while I still have armies to fight with and a lead in VP's.

enf91...I wish to dub you "Captain Obvious" from here forward :neener: .

Only kidding friend. I like to throw an elbow here and there...it's all in good fun. But certainly...Read On! :thumbsup:

Well, if I'm a captain and you have no rank, I am superior to you! :neener:

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:40 am

enf91 wrote:Well, if I'm a captain and you have no rank, I am superior to you! :neener:

Indeed suh!! :gardavou:

I appreciate your continued interest enf91. Thanks to you and everyone else whose stuck with this AAR through nearly 9 months now.

A salute to you all!!

I will have another update coming today...my orders for the new turn...and I think you'll find my strategy in the east to be...inspired...if not absolutely desperate. Some might even call it gamey. Stay Tuned...

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:19 pm

Gamey??? Not at all! You haven't done anything unrealistic, although I doubt Lee would have had the idea to send Jackson and Johnson through the Cumberland Gap like you did, but there was no manipulation of quirky behavior. I mean, it's not like you've been shuffling generals constantly using the teleportation feature or sending entire armies on suicide runs trying to capture depots.

Banks6060
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:23 pm

You may have heard already, but off-game, Soundoff and I thought it best to go ahead and call it quits. We both realized that it was going to come down to the draft and even then it was only relative....and my defeat would have merely been delayed by a few short months.

With that....I give you what would have been my last turn's orders.

In the East:

As you can see....very complicated. But Lee was to be sent west to Georgia to deal with Hooker in the Gulf while my ironclads and Beauregard with two divisions were left to face Grant. Early would have bolstered Fort Bee's defenses inside Wilmington enough to hold out for awhile I wager. Stuart's job would have been to keep Soundoff's attention distracted west.

In Tennessee:

Simple enough...Bragg's army is forced to leave its mountain defense line and contract upon its only line of supply...and even then it is still in dire straights. Polk, Johnston...and the returning Edward Johnston ALL have near zero supplies and have been suffering attrition hits through all of September.

In Georgia:

You can see what my plan for Lee was. It was last ditch for sure. And you won't see the REAL last turn...because we played ahead. But Soundoff unknowingly foiled this plan a bit by withdrawing Hooker's army south. Part of the reason I decided to go ahead and call the game....along with Soundoff.

And just a quick shot of Mississippi:

I need to again thank everyone that stuck with us through this enormous journey. When I originally thought to embark upon this little project...I'd hoped to find someone that was a veteran player...that had an historical flare in their play-style. Someone who played the game in the same spirit that I did...that knew of the various "gamey" exploits within the game engine....but didn't utilize them, because Generals at the time would never have dreamed of using them. Not because they lacked initiative...but simply because the doctrine of the time dictated otherwise.

I couldn't have found a better opponent than Soundoff. He made this AAR truly great.

As did you the reader. Hats off to you all.

I hope our project provided two things. 1. A learning experience, perhaps a reference for any newer players who wish to learn more about what to do...and what not to do.

and

2. A motivational tool...as I said in the beginning...the one thing that always pumps me up to play a game is reading a good AAR. If this effort achieves that in any small way for any current or future AACW player. I will certainly call that a win.

Now....as far as post-game stuff. Soundoff and I will be starting a new thread of discussion about what transpired after we take some time to thumb through each others' AAR's. I'll get that started here soon. Cheers everyone...and GAME ON!! :thumbsup:

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:06 pm

*standing ovation*

MrT
Colonel

Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:34 pm

enf91 wrote:*standing ovation*

also from me, thankyou Banks for your part in this wonderful duel between two real good players.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”