Berge20
Sergeant

Newbie AAR: Learn as I go

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:01 pm

I wanted to put together an AAR from a newbie perspective, so appreciate any and all feedback on my game! Trying to learn and this may be the best way, and in the future I'd love to see an experienced player review (do an AAR) of a PBEM from a couple of newbies if there's any interest.

PS - If anyone sees that I've learned something (and repeated it) completely wrong, let me know!

Anyway, on to the game!

Version 1.14
April Full 2 Theater Campaign
Hard
Southern Rebels

General Berge's background:
Very new to the game, played a couple of PBEMs and a couple of campaigns only. Minimal experience with the South.

Early April 1861

Allowed the 2nd S. Carolina to assault Ft. Sumter and railed the remaining Charleston troops north heading toward Manassas in hopes of setting up a strong position there to halt any Northern advance.

I wanted to put together an AAR from a newbie perspective, so appreciate any and all feedback on my game! Trying to learn and this may be the best way, and in the future I'd love to see an experienced player review (do an AAR) of a PBEM from a couple of newbies if there's any interest.

Anyway, on to the game!

Version 1.14
April Full 2 Theater Campaign
Hard
Southern Rebels

General Berge's background:
Very new to the game, played a couple of PBEMs and a couple of campaigns only. Minimal experience with the South.

Early April 1861

Allowed the 2nd S. Carolina to assault Ft. Sumter and railed the remaining Charleston troops north heading toward Manassas in hopes of setting up a strong position there to halt any Northern advance.

Called for volunteers right out of the gate (Is this typical since you get them every 6-months?) and used available resources to prepare with increased rail capacity and replacements.

Berge20
Sergeant

Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:27 pm

Late April 1861

Victory at Sumter!

The North has pursued graduated taxes, 6% war bonds and Full Mobilization—they are wasting little time amassing resources.

McCulloch is ordered to Nashville with two accompanying generals with the intent of getting some leadership in place in that theater.

Winder is dispatched with two generals to Manassas to lead the Charleston troops that are in route. He is to dig in and hold the position.

Assaults on Norfolk and Harper's Ferry are planned.

Orders for additional replacements are given again this turn.

Berge20
Sergeant

Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:23 pm

Early May 1861

Our efforts to take Harper's Ferry were easily turned back and for now, it remains in Yankee hands.

To counter the Yankee move on raising money, I order War Bonds be issued.

Winder takes command and digs in at Manassas as planned. Of my active generals, he has the best offensive/defensive strategic ratings--hence I want him heading up that group.

Gen. Smith moves to command the Norfolk Guns and Supplies which are moving toward Fredricksburg;

Naval ships heading to Gulf Blockade box to do some running.

Set armies to passive to help with faster (I think) replacements getting there to help strengthen my main forces.

Finally, I call on both new troops and replacements. Attempting to organize a force in the west and added to our numbers in Virginia.

Berge20
Sergeant

Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:27 am

Late May 1861

Not much happening this turn, simply some continued movement of troops and building up of our forces.

After several games as the Union, I'm trying to be much more selective on my use of railroad for transport.

Decided to send my calvary unit at Manassas up to cut the rail lines around Fredrick. Should have done this last turn, so already seeing some missteps.

Ordered some additional units and spent some resources on river and rail infrastructure.

Now may be a good time to kind of layout my goals for this campaign. Not knowing exactly how things will play out, I'd like to maintain control of Manassas, Fredricksburg--pick up Harpers Ferry and Ft. Monroe by the end of the year. Efforts are mostly defensive in this theater until an opportunity presents itself.

In a perfect world, I'd like to advance into Kentucky and hold along the Ohio river, but that's probably too ambitious. Bowling Green would be a reasonable alternative from a defensive perspective. If I could snag Cairo, it might help with future shots north along the river, so we'll see how the North defends it.

Out West, I'd like enough forces to keep control of depots that will force a measurable defense of St. Louis and allow me to raid and cause disruptions.

enf91
AGEod Veteran

Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:39 am

Quick tip: You can click on the text of any of your draft/money/political options to change the effects, like offering bounties for volunteers or heavier taxes.

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Great idea!

Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:48 pm

A most excellent idea. This is the way to learn the game..jump in with both feet! Will enjoy reading this keep it up!
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

Berge20
Sergeant

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:33 pm

Thanks guys!

Early June 1861

Most forces are still locked into place, so the turn didn't bring a whole lot of action.

Magruder is ordered to take a small force north from Richmond to reinforce Fredericksburg, where he will take over command.

My cavalry raid will cut the rail line between Washington and Harper's Ferry, then race north an attempt to cut the line between Wilmington and Baltimore, before ultimately coming back.

Quiet in the other theaters while troops are raised.

Berge20
Sergeant

Sun Sep 20, 2009 4:40 pm

Late June 1861

Union troops are on the march!

In Kentucky, the Union has moved some scattered forces south, putting Clarksburg under siege along the Ohio River—and potentially looking to move on Lexington in the next few weeks. Unfortunately troop strength in the region will not allow me to do anything other than watch.

There was also an incursion into Tennessee, with a small force besieging Columbus. I suspect we will be able to quickly repel that maneuver and clear the area in short order.

My cavalry raid was unable to completely avoid contact with the enemy, as he was sending units down from the Wilmington-Philadelphia region. After being engaged twice, they did remain in the area—completely without ammunition. They will finish their mission to destroy that key rail link and attempt to move back to safe territory.

Now that the Southern forces in Northern Virginia are available, General Jackson will assault Harper's Ferry—while General Johnston will move the rest of his forces to Winchester to secure that town. In the event Jackson is unsuccessful, it will leave us some options in the near future.

General Longstreet has been ordered to Manassas to take command. Winder did an excellent job digging in, but with the force size being amassed in Alexandria—he simply needs more men and the 3,000 under Longstreet will help.

General Bonham will move to reinforce Fredericksburg with 2,500 additional men under Magruder.

Finally, there was discussion of sending the Army of the Potomac down towards Ft. Monroe in an effort to quickly take the position. However, caution won out—as some were concerned with an aggressive move South by the main Union army. Huger was summoned to Richmond from Petersberg, and may lead a smaller force towards Ft. Monroe in the coming weeks.

In the west, several cavalry units in Texas were dispatched to Dallas and one regiment headed to Laredo. Forces in Arkansas and Missouri are assembling in Springfield as they come up. McCulloch waits for reinforcements in Nashville, which he is slowly receiving.

Berge20
Sergeant

Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:51 am

Early July 1861

We have again called for volunteers and hope our efforts are more successful than last time. By offering some cash incentives, I am certain it will be. Those funds were raised by a one-time measured tax and issuing additional war bonds. It seems the Union pursued similar efforts.

In Northern Virginia

Longstreet's arrival in Manassas came just days before a disorganized union force over 6,000 strong hit their position. They were easily driven back and we continue to dig in.

General Jackson did not make it to Harper's Ferry fast enough to attack relatively unopposed. Unfortunately Union General Patterson and some 12,000 men had managed to secure the town and repelled our attack. Reports indicate that a bulk of the Union force is militia or light infantry, so Jackson urged a large assault from Johnston, which is being prepared immediately.

Milroy has moved an army south to the Rappahannock and although the pose no threat to my troops entrenched at Mannassas or Fredericksburg, part of me wants to remove him. However, with large forces amassing in Alexandria and Washington, discretion is the better part of valor—for now.

Huger has not arrived at Richmond yet, but when he does—he will lead a force down the peninsula toward Ft. Monroe.

In Kentucky/Tennessee

Union forces stormed Clarksburg (I lost a NM point.....grrrrrr) and Lexington as anticipated. Looks to be generally disorganized at this stage, so hopefully troops can come up faster. Polk is active and arranging some troops in Memphis and McCulloch is still waiting in Nashville for a proper force to command.

In the Far West

Union forces under Lyon easily overwhelmed defenses at Rolla and now control that launchpoint. I will work to get forces at Springfield ready to hold there for the time being.

Orders are placed for additional artillery and troops for TN and VA. Discussion occurred on if we should move to embargo cotton, but this decision was put off until we felt a need for it.

Return to “American Civil War AARs”