soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:15 am

Hello good folks,

I'm posting this because I expect some delay before I'm able to submit my next AAR and move. You see, or at least you will in a minute or two, I have a problem with the current turn that Banks has submitted to me. To explain properly its like this......

I get an e-mail from my opponent (though in truth he is now a firm friend) asking me to resubmit my move as the game is crashing at the 'supply' element of the turn.

Now at the time .....remember he's a Yank, I'm a Limey......I'm out to dinner. When I return there's another e-mail saying the problems sorted and enclosing the trn.file.

So I load it in and in the east its as bad as it can get without any sort of battle.

1. Hamilton on Blue/Orange orders with level 3 entrenchments firstly engages the confederates then retreats without a shot being fired with the odds less than 2 to 1 in the Rebel favour...and that with Hamilton being a 5-5-5

2. The weather has turned nasty so not only is Grant out of position but neither he nor any of his Corps can get anywhere in under 20 days.....not Raleigh, not Garysburg, not Burkeville nor Petersburg. (Now that is just the luck of the draw)

3. This is the killer and why I've asked Banks to submit the hst files to Pocus for some sort of explanation

That I just cannot buy. My late December turn clearly shows that Dix's Corp have enough supplies for 3 turns.....its the minimum I use for movement of more than one region in enemy territory. Now though (and the Corp composition has not altered at all)....its been reduced by 160....over 40% more. That I cannot live with and puts Dix's Corp in line to starve.

EDIT - I should have said that I've sent my adversary the same picture so you are quite welcome to comment on it in his thread. I sure hope someone can shed some light as to what the heck has/is going on. :thumbsup:

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:28 am

Is the weather harsh? Don't supply take hits in harsh weather? Maybe it lowered the supply... Not 100% sure on this...
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."
-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

MVDH
Private

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:43 am

soundoff wrote:Hello good folks,

I'm posting this because I expect some delay before I'm able to submit my next AAR and move. You see, or at least you will in a minute or two, I have a problem with the current turn that Banks has submitted to me. To explain properly its like this......

I get an e-mail from my opponent (though in truth he is now a firm friend) asking me to resubmit my move as the game is crashing at the 'supply' element of the turn.

Now at the time .....remember he's a Yank, I'm a Limey......I'm out to dinner. When I return there's another e-mail saying the problems sorted and enclosing the trn.file.

So I load it in and in the east its as bad as it can get without any sort of battle.

1. Hamilton on Blue/Orange orders with level 3 entrenchments firstly engages the confederates then retreats without a shot being fired with the odds less than 2 to 1 in the Rebel favour...and that with Hamilton being a 5-5-5

2. The weather has turned nasty so not only is Grant out of position but neither he nor any of his Corps can get anywhere in under 20 days.....not Raleigh, not Garysburg, not Burkeville nor Petersburg. (Now that is just the luck of the draw)

3. This is the killer and why I've asked Banks to submit the hst files to Pocus for some sort of explanation

That I just cannot buy. My late December turn clearly shows that Dix's Corp have enough supplies for 3 turns.....its the minimum I use for movement of more than one region in enemy territory. Now though (and the Corp composition has not altered at all)....its been reduced by 160....over 40% more. That I cannot live with and puts Dix's Corp in line to starve.

EDIT - I should have said that I've sent my adversary the same picture so you are quite welcome to comment on it in his thread. I sure hope someone can shed some light as to what the heck has/is going on. :thumbsup:

Hi All:

This seems to be WAD:

Quoted from the manual:

· Bad Weather:
Units lacking shelter will take a number of hits depending on the severity of weather conditions (see p. above). Supply
Wagons (see p. 36) in a Stack automatically “shield” units from Attrition by negating one Attrition hit/five Supply points
spent. Fleets do not get this benef

So it would seem extra supply is being spent to negate bad weather attrition hits.

Mark

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:58 am

I've obviously had a bad night to have forgotten that one.....thanks for the reminder and back to the game :thumbsup:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:23 am

[SIZE="6"][color="Red"]Late December 62 result and Early January orders[/color][/size]

To begin with let me start by saying that I am ever so grateful to MVDH for pointing out the problem. In view of Bank's earlier e-mail to me it really did have me worried there for a few minutes that we had a real foulup in the game and that would be an absolute shame.

Mind you, other than the Union suffering a major defeat in the field, the turn in the east was about as bad as it can get. 'My game to lose'......thats rich....I'm in danger of doing precisely that. :bonk: :bonk:

[SIZE="3"]EASTERN THEATRE[/size]

Virginia

So as I half expected the rebel Corp of Joe Johnston advanced from Garysburg supported by E Johnston's command. The target was Hamiltons Corp entrenched at Petersburg. Directly in the path of the enemy route of march stood Alfred Pleasanton, with a single regiment of cavalry. In attendance were Generals Corcoran and Tyler. Not unexpectedly ;) the result was inevitable. Generals Pleasanton and Corcoran are now recovering from injuries. Regrettably General Tyler made the ultimate sacrifice :(

At least I now have accurate information as to the composition of the enemy forces.

On day 12 advance elements of the CSA army reached the outskirts of Petersburg in the region of Dinwiddie. I was confidently expecting General Hamilton to hold the line. For some inexplicable reason he took it upon himself to desert his positions in the face of a somewhat superior enemy force and retire to Burkeville. On hearing the news General Grant in command of the Northeastern Virginian Army called for his immediate dismissal. However General Hamilton is not without powerful friends in the capital who intervened on his behalf. President Lincoln refused to sign the order of removal.

General Hamiltons withdrawal from his strategic defence severely compromises the Union lines and opens up an immediate threat to Richmond (so hard won) and beyond.

Difficulties were compounded when Grants advance against Lee and Jackson met with his troops tilting at fresh air. The CSA forces doggedly refuse to be drawn into battle. Jackson with his fast mover trait neatly sidestepped and skirted the Union forces on one side whilst Robert E Lee evaded on the other.

Having thus struggled manfully to Person NC Grants command was overwhelmed by torrential thunderstorms that struck the whole of South Virginia turning the terrain into a veritable quagmire.

The upshot is that what with Lee/Jackson being ellusive, Hamilton refusing to stand and the weather changing the Union forces are now totally out of position. Banks could not have succeeded better had he have been in control of my troops and the weather. :thumbsup:

I'd send Grant or at least a Corp against either Raleigh or Goldboro (at the latter I expect a weakened Longstreet to be in situ) I cannot though. I am unable to reach either of them in less than 20 days. If I make the attempt I telegraph the move, Johnny Reb destroys the depots and my Corp starves given that supplies (for obvious reasons) are likely to be critical.

That I'm in the rear of the enemy helps me not one jot nor tittle. As if that were not bad enough to return to Franklin VA (let alone Burkeville) is expected to take Grant's troops 23 days. Its a march that I must make but that will mean 6 weeks of continuous activity ....you can guess what that will do for levels of cohesion.

If there are to be any battles then Grants 60,000 plus are out of it :love:

At Burkeville all Corp commanders are active. Ideally I'd love to pitch Hamilton and Franklin against Joe Johnston but the odds are against it. That 42,000 plus Lee lending a hand would be more than enough to see off my 56,500.

I turn my attention to Stonewall. Now thats an inviting target....and I have Berry approaching from the West with a further 17,000. Trouble is Stonewall keeps sidestepping and I'm sure Banks will do the same with him again. So that does not make a sensible move.

If only I could get at one or the other of these CSA armies but I dont see how I can....not safely at least. To really put the tin lid on things it already looks as if I've lost Petersburg and what with the time it will take Grant to retrace his tracks in this weather I most certainly cannot afford to lose Burkeville....particularly not the depot. If I were to do so then Grants army would, as sure as eggs are eggs, begin to starve. No Burkeville I have to hold. I've stripped Whipple of his divisions and divided them between Franklin and Hamilton. This frees Whipple to return to Washington poste haste to construct a further Corp from newly recruited elements.

Franklin and Hamilton are both ordered to defend at all costs. I'm slightly worried if Banks assaults Burkeville from all sides. Therefore I've ordered, somewhat reluctantly, Berrys Corp to rail east and attack Jacksons position at Franklin. It should only take Berry two days although if Jackson has evade orders again he is likely to slip aside once more. If there is a battle it will not go in my favour. I just need to ensure that should Burkeville be attacked Jackson plays no part in it.

Returning to the regional picture above my minimum requirement is to hold the white line (I chose the colour of white deliberately....perhaps Hamilton will take due note:mdr :) At the southern tip is the Burkeville depot. In the centre Amherst depot and obviously in the North the road to Washington.

My enforced inactivity means of course that I must of necessity leave Richmond totally exposed. Its a bitter pill to swallow but I am out of options. Crittendens Corp at Suffolk is a possibility to move but then I cannot get back to Richmond with him in under 17 days. If I were tomove him I expose Norfolk. No, I just have to let Banks recapture Richmond.

If I can draw any comfort at all from this debacle its that the further North the Confederate forces advance the more likely it is that we return to a mid 62 situation when the enemy was surrounded on all sides.

Its certainly not a pretty picture for the Union at this stage ....whichever way up you look at it.

[SIZE="3"]LOWER SEABOARD[/size]

Florida

Hmmm it looks as if the Rebels are slowly but surely beginning to strengthen the defenses in this area. Until new troops or replacements for hard hit divisions begin to materialise I'm in no fit situation to mount any sort of concerted attack. I'm am conducting a sortie against Blakeley once more. At least it will keep the enemy from receiving decent intelligence on the whole of my dispositions.

Hunter, returning to Pensacola did manage to intercept Buckners cavalry division. That was an unexpected piece of luck.

[SIZE="3"]WESTERN THEATRE[/size]

Tennessee

As you can see I'm still threatening Memphis but thats all that I'm doing....posturing. I cannot hope to shift Braggs Corp with the forces I can commit at present. The weather remains atrocious to boot. Its a case of sitting tight until the spring.

One thing I do know is that I must, just must, get this theatre moving in 63. Without Lyons to help him its beyond the 'ken' of Little Mac. Now he's reached Covington I've ordered him to relinquish command to Meade. Thats going to result in a really big NM hit next time. I do wish I had another alternative that would work but for the life of me I can't see one. So I prepare to take the hit (sigh)

For what its worth here is my assessment of the forces opposing one another in Tennessee.....very much an even contest.

Kentucky

Forrest returned to have another crack at Clarkesville....he must be desperate. My defenders held him off but not without considerable cost. There are only a couple of hundred left now. I'm rushing reinforcements forward as quickly as I can.

When I saw the troop build level at Lexington I decided that I must move a further division to protect that location. The last thing I need is for Lexington to fall into enemy hands with so many units being constructed there :love:

Well then to the odds and ends.

Finances.

6% bonds raised 716,000 and exceptional taxation a further 1606,000

Drafts

The call for volunteers produced 511 conscripts and Full Mobilization a further 1057

Economy - Nil

The British were displeased with the Total Blockade +13 to intervention. Mind you they were even more disapproving of the Confederate Embargo -29.

Overall then Intervention is -43

The CSA went with 8% bonds and Exceptional Taxes. Interestingly on the draft front they called for volunteers but did not go with mobilization.

Reinforcements - Nil

Replacements

16 Line Infantry and 4 Field Artillery.

Oh and of course we had the usual crop of new generals for 63 appear. Too many to list :thumbsup:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:17 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early January 63 result and Late January orders
[/size][/color]

A very very quiet move. OK so its the dead of winter and its to be expected. I must admit to being fairly pleased by the outcomes .....particularly in the east even though the situation looks fairly grim in the short term.

All in all though not a lot to report at present so this AAR will be on the short and sweet side. I'm certain it will not last. :thumbsup:

Virginia

As expected Joe Johnston's force moved north past Petersburg and now sits at the approaches to Richmond. I assume the poor weather conditions affected the CSA movement almost as hard as it did the Union. I am pleased that he still has a region to traverse. Every moment of delay brings those fresh troops I'm training closer to coming onstream.

I was pleasantly surprised to have Petersburg being besieged by Robert E rather than assaulted. The Union garrison, if you can call it that comprises of one Alfred Pleasanton recovering from his wounds - thats it. If you look closely you can see him rattling his sabre from the upstairs window of the third building on the left :mdr: That I still hold Petersburg though is the main thing.

The Burkeville depot remains intact and under my control. As I anticipated Stonewall Jackson evaded once again, this time Berry's Corp. I've lost track of him. I suspect he's somewhere around Sussex VA

I'm still not able to move against Johnston. Therefore, to protect the Amherst depot (Banks may well swing Johnston's to attack that prime target rather than Richmond) I'm despatching Franklin and Hamilton from Burkeville. Should I be wrong and Banks make the obvious move against Richmond then I shall lose at least a budding Balloon and Field Hospital unit (both being constructed at Richmond). Never mind at least it will only be a couple of conscript points down....the money and war supplies I can easily afford to lose.

Berry's force has orders to move to Burkeville as does Grants main army. It made better time than I expected and can make Burkeville in 8 days (weather permitting)

Of significance is that Longstreet has joined Lee at Petersburg. Is Banks intending to attempt to hold the position? I wonder.

I think that I hope that Joe Johnston presses on and assaults Richmond. I've already blown the depot and I'd like the opportunity of closing the net on his force now that Grant is almost back in play.

This is Johnston's Corp now as against last turn. You will see there are a couple of alterations. The significant piece of information is not the change of division....its the loss of E Johnstons command from the force. My suspicion is that he and his two divisions have joined with Stonewall around Sussex and is moving on Crittendens position at Suffolk. The three divisions that I reckon Jackson commands plus 2 that are with E Johnston will be more than enough to see off Crittendens Corp. Thus I've ordered Crittenden to retire to Norfolk for now.

At Washington Whipple is gathering a fresh divisions around him. By recruiting in late December his command will be virtually constructed by mid February....hopefully well before the Confederates are able to threaten Washington.

Florida

What can I say other than Nathaniel Banks force pushed the Rebels away from Blakeley. There was no action the enemy simply melted away into the sunset.

Kentucky

My Corps and Divisions are beginning to mass and I'm itching for the weather to break so I can commence offensive action in this theatre. I still need another month for those new brigades to be trained for action.

Not in shot but at Evansville I've ordered Thomas with two divisions to move to Paducah.

Tennessee

Well I did it. Meade now has command of the Army. Brother did my NM take a hit .....look at it minus 9 a real 'ouch'

That hurt but the good news is I'm already seeing the benefit. Rosecrans is suddenly a 5-5-5. Now to try to get things moving in this area. :w00t:

Moving Thomas from Evansville to Paducah frees up Fosters defending force at that city. I've ordered it to advance to Humboldt. Similarly Meades army has instructions to move to the same location (not that I particularly want to give up Covington) Its just that in order to ensure adequate supply whilst this bad weather persists I need to withdraw a region.

Joe Hooker is in good shape to move to Covington (another Corp commander for Meade and a most welcome one). Phil Sheridan at Little Rock has also been promoted to Corp command. I'm relatively certain that come the spring, if I fail in my advance this campaigning season, it will not be down to poor commanders. :coeurs:

Well thats about it other than

Finances - Nil

Economy - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Reinforcements - Nil

Replacements - 2 elite infantry, 3 line infantry, 1 skirmisher, 1 light artillery and 2 field artillery

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:15 pm

[SIZE="6"][color="Red"]Late January 63 result and Early February orders[/color][/size]

Well I said things would not be quiet for long...how true. Things sure are interesting particularly in the East just now. So lets get straight to it.

Virginia.

Well the expected happened, both Petersburg and Richmond were assaulted and duly fell. My but how that combination hit the NM. The Union is now way down at 109 and the CSA up to a staggering 105. Banks must be well pleased with that.....I know I would be. Mind you not everything went his way this time around. As a matter of fact I'd guess that very little else went in favour of the Confederacy. I'll let you be the judge.

Petersburg fell very early without a fight, as you would expect with only a wounded General Pleasanton defending. This was quickly followed by Stuart assaulting Richmond on day four. It was irritating that I lost the Field Hospital and Balloon units that I was building but at least losses were roughly even.

Those two events though, in many ways were only the 'hors d'oeurves' to the main course. I believe I made the correct call. Whilst Stuarts small force was targetting Richmond, Stonewall Jackson and probably Joe Johnston were moving on Amherst. I can only presume that to be the case as from the turn result Johnston is so out of place. Hmmm was it that maximum delayed move that fouled up my adversary? I wonder. Am I misreading the map and was Johnston heading elsewhere only to be foiled by the weather?

Whatever happened all I do know is that Johnston and Jackson did not move together whilst my two Corps of Hamilton and Franklin were in complete harmony (I do like the co-ordinated move facility).

The outcome was one heck of a ding dong at Appomattox on the morning of Day 9. Jackson defended (from the size of the losses I'd guess that he was on hold at all costs) The combat was fairly but my superior forces carried the day.

The result was very pleasing however at this juncture I'd like to interject a somewhat bemused note. At times (although I probably foolishly believe I have a fairly good handle on the game) I must confess to sometimes not understanding what is going on under the bonnet of the game or indeed really trusting it

To explain fully I need to go back a bit. Part of my orders were for Franklin and Hamiltons Corps to move on attack to Amherst. This left Burkeville exposed so Berry had orders to advance to Burkeville to provide protection. So far so good. It all went as planned with Berrys force arriving in Camden where Burkville is located on Day 4.

Now we advance to day 9 when the battle of Appomattox occurs. The report says that not only is Hamiltons force committed but so is Berry's. Wonderful I think as I read that report.......Berry has marched to the sound of the guns. I could just visualise it. Berry sitting comfortably in Burkeville when an aide rushes into his quarters informing him that sparodic gunfire is being heard to the North. Immediately Berry correctly assumes that a major battle is commencing. With undue haste he musters his Corp and marches (double time) towards the gunfire rumbling across the Virginian countryside. Vivid flashes lighting up the dawn skyline.

Anyway he arrives at the battlefield then promptly retreats :wacko: Hello ..... but am I missing something? Berrys Corp marches to the sound of the guns then retreats without firing a shot? It may well be WAD but its not a sensible WAD.

I must admit I'm assuming it was Berrys Corp that retreated for the battle report lists the elements of Franklins and Hamiltons Corps....Berrys is not in the mix.

Anyway, no sweat, whatever happened the battle was won and the CSA force under Jackson was decimated....or so I thought but then look.

What happens on Day 14. Well Jackson goes and attacks and takes Amherst Depot. A defeated army with 80% losses goes and mounts an attack 5 days after the defeat....its not realistic is it. Or is it me?

As I say the insult to injury is that the attack is successful. I know it has to be all tied up with moving into enemy controlled areas and automatically changing to 'attack' status but logical its not.

But then, hang on just a cotton picking minute.....where did that other 4,000 men come from? What 4,000 men? you might ask Those 4,000 extra men that somehow Jackson has gained on the way from Appomattox to Amherst.

At Appomattox he loses 16,479 out of 19,582. Now by my reckoning that leaves him with 3,103. Yet when he gets to Amherst he has 7,112. OK so its hits that counts and numbers are there just for flavour but surely they must be grounded in some sort of reality must'nt they?

My first thought was that perhaps another brigade had joined Stonewall but if you look at the elements he had fighting at Appomattox and then again at Amherst they seem the same....as you would expect.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on it sometime.

What really cheeses me off though is that Hamilton and Franklin following a stunning victory merrily wend their weary way to Amherst but are unable to stop the rebels from capturing the key location. Grrrrrrr.

Lady luck is currently not wearing dark blue thats for sure. :thumbsup:

So this is the current situation in Virginia. At Amherst I have 45,000 men under Franklin and Hamilton. They should be able to see Jackson off and, given the appauling weather, Joe Johnston should he decide to attack which I doubt.

Johnston is very much out on a limb. His troops are well down on cohesion and he's in the open in the worst of possible weather. His command will be in no fit state to fight in early February. Banks will be lucky if he can retire him without significant weather hits.

Stuarts cavalry at Richmond is no real threat......its only 3,000 strong. Yes it can do some damage but its not a significant force.

Now what will Banks do with RE Lee and Longstreet at Henrico is what I'm wondering? It looks as if Longstreet has a couple of divisions with him (his power is just over 1100) so I'd estimate him having about 15,000 troops. Does he move to Richmond? - Unlikely as he backs himself into a corner. A pull back to Petersburg then?.....Much more likely in my opinion.

But then what does he do with E Johnston who is currently at Petersburg and has (I reckon) 15,000 with him. Does he sit tight with E Johnston? Does he pull E Johnston back to Garysburg?

Hmmmm. Personally I think that Banks will assume that with me having Grant, McDowell, Dix and Berry at Burkeville that I will launch an attack on Petersburg in an attempt to close the door. As Grants army has been marching continuously for 6 weeks and cohesion levels are well down the likelyhood is that I will suffer a heavy defeat should I decide to take that course of action.......IF and its a big IF I'll admit E Johnston sits tight and Lee and Longstreet join him.

Thus my Burkeville forces are going to do nothing else other than defend although I am concerned about possible inadequate supply as the loss of the Amherst depot has stripped me of my reserves. I have sufficient for this turn and next but thats all.

So the yellow arrow in the picture is a missnomer....I'm staying put at Burkeville.

What I am doing however, in anticipation that Banks will hold Petersburg in force for the time being (at least until he gets Joe Johnston away) is to use Crittendens Corp to assault Garysburg.

As Banks has still to call up his draft I surmise that most of his troops in the theatre I can see and are committed. If I'm right, and assuming E Johnston's force is not retired then I believe Garysburg is ripe for the taking.

Current weather conditions however make it a difficult march for Crittenden. With a forced march though...its just possible. Right on the edge but possible. He's only got slightly better than even odds of the forced march working but its enough for me to take a chance.

North Carolina

Phew I'm still not done with this theatre..... I do so hope you are not bored ;) With everything seemingly on the front line Phil Kearny's move to Hillsboro was unopposed. Of real importance was in discovering that Banks has blown the Raleigh depot. When I dont know but it restricts his line of supply and is a real plus to my ambitions. I was also pleased to capture so much supply and ammunition that was in the process of being pushed forward.

With the supplies his command have captured he has enough for another month so I've ordered him to assault Raleigh. As its the North Carolina recruiting station its a decent target.

As you can see Kearny has a decent cavalry division with him thats fully supplied and at full cohesion....I cannot ask for better.

Washington DC

Just an item of note before I leave this region for the time being. Whipple, at the capital, continues to build his fresh corp apace. If I'm honest I do think that Banks has made an error in delaying calling up his draft. Whipple has 20,000 effectives now. By early February that number will swell to 30,000 then (assuming the weather starts to change) they have orders to move south.

Florida

Until such time as I can strengthen Nathaniel Banks' army I'll just rattle the odd sabre or two. I'm actually building two additional divisions at Boston that I've earmarked for Florida.

Thats takes us finally to....

Kenntucky/Tennessee

Not much is happening for the time being but I can assure you things will begin to hot up in the next couple of months.

It was in Tennessee that I had my second irritating experience (I do so agree with Clovis that the evasion of supply wagons needs attention if possible)

Again let me explain. I attempted to move Rosecrans from Covington to Humboldt. His Corp is 25,000 strong but it has with it a couple of supply wagons. That reduced the evasion factor of his force to 1. Now I deliberately did not order his command (which was retiring) to initiate attack....it was on blue/blue.

Upshot was his whole corp was blocked by a 'piddling' cavalry element. The cavalry obviously retreats. By the time it does Rosecrans is no longer moving. (sigh). Mind you I do know the rules. I should have anticipated such a possible event. It still remains a fact however that if Rosecrans force had been moving without the supply wagons he would have done so without problem.

Well Hooker made it safely to Covington as did Foster to Humbolt. Thomas was also successful in his transfer to Paducah. By the beginning of March (weather permitting) I shall be in a position to start offensive action. Hip Hip Hoo Flipping Hooray. :coeurs:

In Kentucky I'm also beginning to amass a decent structure. With luck I shall have two strong Corps (one under Sumner at Louisville the other under Stevens at Lexington) available for action.

At last I reckon things are beginning to come together.

I really don't believe that Banks has the resources to mount a serious offensive in this theatre at this time.

So to the dregs

Finances - Nil

Economy
- Nil

Drafts - Nil

Reinforcements

Pennsylvania

2 Supply Wagons

Replacements

2 Infantry 2 Heavy Artillery

Jim-NC

Fri May 01, 2009 2:48 am

Soundoff,
Was Joe Johnson's corp near Stonewall's? He probably MTSG'd. I would also bet that Robert E Lee did as well. If you look at your post from before, both of them are green (full up). In your last post, Joe is yellow, and 1 area south of Amherst. Lee is orange, and 1 area east of Appomattox. It's just a theory, but both of those units have been wacked pretty hard.
Remember - The beatings will continue until morale improves.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri May 01, 2009 6:11 am

Jim-NC wrote:Soundoff,
Was Joe Johnson's corp near Stonewall's? He probably MTSG'd. I would also bet that Robert E Lee did as well. If you look at your post from before, both of them are green (full up). In your last post, Joe is yellow, and 1 area south of Amherst. Lee is orange, and 1 area east of Appomattox. It's just a theory, but both of those units have been wacked pretty hard.

Hi Jim-NC,

I wish your theory held true but it does not. As for where Stonewall was in relation to Joe Johnston last time .....I have no idea. Jackson was off of my radar. All I can say with certainty given that I had Joe well spotted was that they were not together.

Now if a force MTSG then in theory it should appear in the battle report. I say in theory deliberately as I know Runyan99 a little while ago posted stating his concern that additional troops were not showing in this way....though he believed that they were taking part in the battle. He may be right. I had a similar experience in another game. Or at least I think I did.

Now the pictures you refer to were taken by me in 'the supply screen mode'. Its the one I use the most. When you are in the supply screen the colour of dots beneath a stack shows its relative level of supply. That Johnston's and Lee's forces have changed from Green to Yellow/Orange says to me that they are consuming rations fast. Were they to hit red then the forces would be starting to starve. Sadly both are able to pull supplies from the captured Amherst depot next time around.

Incidently its the number of coloured dots that indicates the size of the stack. Originally each dot represented 3 units. Thus 4 dots equalled 10 to 12 units.

As a unit is anything from a single commander to a brigade to a division there was discussion a long while ago about altering it so that each dot represented a number of elements.

So its the number of coloured dots you need to check, rather than the colour itself, to provide an indication as to whether a stack is taking damage. If the number of coloured dots diminish its losing elements/units.

Big Ideas
Captain

Fri May 01, 2009 11:32 am

Hi Soundoff,

Great reading from you again, giving the full story as always.

But my thought for two seconds. Normally when you retreat the retreater changes to passive posture mode= which means that you can not change to attack posture even if you move into enemy territory! Your message 77/129 says you (USA) retreated from Appomattox on day 9, taking no hits. This would have left Jackson still in his defensive posture orders. Then when Jackson moved to the Depot he must have moved into enemy territory and this triggered his auto-reset to offensive posture and initiating the battle. This would be why his force composition is the same and his sharpshooter died with one hit. Possibly Jackson only engaged one of your corps at Appomattox as you both have green retreat icons and your message 77 does say you retreated from the battle.

Also for Mobile, Nov 92, the CSA might have been in seven stacks even though they only had nine elements in the battle. That's why there was six retreat messages. MAybe one wasn't engaged?

Hope your men didn't catch anythin' from Ms Boyd, the Rebels can get pretty desperate and low.

Thanks again for the impressive AAR.

BI

Jim-NC

Fri May 01, 2009 5:10 pm

I did not realize that you had the supply overlay on. I do have to say that I NEVER see the MTSG corps info in the battle results screen. If you look at your results, you always only the first unit to fight (it says initial forces). The hits are taken from every unit, allowing more damage than was in the original stack. The only clue is actually seeing the stack move during the turn into the battle/under the battle circle, or having the unit sitting in the area (If the battle is on day 14 or 15, then the winner's stacks are still in the battle area - not having had enough time to march back to their starting place).

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri May 01, 2009 5:36 pm

Big Ideas wrote:Hi Soundoff,

Great reading from you again, giving the full story as always.

But my thought for two seconds. Normally when you retreat the retreater changes to passive posture mode= which means that you can not change to attack posture even if you move into enemy territory! Your message 77/129 says you (USA) retreated from Appomattox on day 9, taking no hits. This would have left Jackson still in his defensive posture orders. Then when Jackson moved to the Depot he must have moved into enemy territory and this triggered his auto-reset to offensive posture and initiating the battle. This would be why his force composition is the same and his sharpshooter died with one hit. Possibly Jackson only engaged one of your corps at Appomattox as you both have green retreat icons and your message 77 does say you retreated from the battle.

BI

Hi Big Ideas,

Glad Banks and I are still managing to entertain you. As for your analysis, whilst its possible, I still reckon that it was Berrys Corp that retreated. I know at the end of the turn Franklins command at Amherst is showing as Green posture but remember Hamilton is underneath.

The messages that I did not show which might make you reconsider are as follows:

We have message 74 saying Hamilton is commited (add Franklin into that as it was synchronized movement). Then we have message 75 saying Berry is commited (now that must be MTSG)

76 is CSA retreat and 77 a Union retreat. As I said in the main post that has to be Berry retreating. It has to be because Berry is back at Burkeville, no losses and full cohesion.

78 and 79 produce the Union victory and the force composition in the battle report is consistent with the total for Franklins and Hamiltons Corps.

So the CSA force retreats but retreats to Amherst. This results in another battle on day 14 when the Union lose the depot. But Hamilton and Franklin are still advancing. Look at reports 113 and 114 for day 15. Unfortunately too late for any battle during that turn and as Jacksons Corp (or whats left of it) is still in the region the depot remains under the control of the CSA.

Hopefully not for long though :thumbsup:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon May 04, 2009 10:03 am

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early February 63 result and Late February orders[/size][/color]

Virginia

Before he skiddaddled out of the region I caught up with Stonewall Jackson in Amherst. I must confess to being a trifle disappointed. No matter how hard I try I just cannot seem to deliver a knockout blow to that guy. Given the size of his force at the end of last turn evidently his depleted divisions had received replacements. Sweet though the victory was there he sits, like the proverbial thorn in the side, at Roanoke.

Its moved him closer to my depot at Millboro in West Virginia which Rousseau with a small division is guarding . Unless Banks can bring more confederate troops to Jacksons aid (he will not receive reinforcements in the open) then I should be fairly safe.......I think :confused:

Crittenden obeyed orders. I was right. Garysburg was poorly defended. The garrison retreated rather than fight. So the theatre now looks like this. Lots and lots of snow. Notice as well the rebel raiders that have advanced to threaten Manassas. I have nothing to fear from them. The garrison should be able to hold and even if it cannot I'm rushing 53rd division commanded by Barlow to relieve. It should arrive in two days.

The key thing to note about the picture is the yellow rectangles. They denote the whereabouts of all of the current supply depots in the Theatre. They are ALL (at least for this turn:w00t :) under Union control.

The retaking of Amherst and the capture of Garysburg really does mean that Banks has to do something. Now what? thats the question. He is such a fine player and I've already under estimated his ability to surprise me once or twice already. I shall try to guard against doing so in future.

The more observant amongst you might be more than somewhat bemused to see the Union Corps of Franklin and Hamilton in the region of Bedford VA, rather than at the depot in Amherst. What the heck am I doing moving them there you might be thinking? Well (hangs his head in abject shame :( ) a confession. It was entirely unintentional. Another gaff. Another error. In essence a Union shambles :thumbsup:

Just goes to demonstrate that in two sided AAR's there really is nowhere to hide when you make a basic error. Initally I thought that I must have targetted Jacksons force and moved after him but I had'nt What happened was this......and it goes back to the Late January turn.

On that turn the planned move was Franklin and Hamilton to the Amherst Depot. In doing the usual drag and drop I evidently clicked Franklins command (the most senior) onto George Stonemans cavalry regiment which at that time was protecting the Amherst Depot.

Late January move then and the troops begin the march. They meet Jackson at Appomattox. Jackson then retreats to Amherst. My Corps continue on to Amherst. On day 14 Jackson brushes Stoneman aside.....and Stoneman retreats into Bedford.

Franklins and Hamitons Corps are now in Amherst but only at the end of turn (so no time left to move further) Now this turn we have the battle at Amherst following which (because Stoneman is still targetted by Frankin) they move to join him. Simple really. I missed it merely because at the end of January my two Union Corps were where I expected and wanted them to be.......at Amherst.

I'm sure I'm not alone in finding the 'targetting' facility in the game somewhat cumbersome. Its easy to make such a mistake. One wish I have (should there ever be an AACW2) is that there is some sort of 'pop up' box provided whenever you target another force rather than the current small crossed swords. You know.....something along the lines of......you have targetted force X is this correct Y/N

It is another lesson in reinforcing the need to ensure that you have checked and rechecked every move before processing particularly when PBEMing.

Anyway enough of that the damage (should there be any) is done. Lets return to the issue of supply. Now with no supply depots to draw upon Banks' Rebel troops are soon going to be in a pretty poor way. Using the supply filter map just look. Jacksons Corp is already on red....not enough supply for the current turn. Lee is on yellow.....I hope Longstreet who is with him is also on the same. That should mean only enough food for a couple of turns. E Johnston at Petersburg is on green so he should be OK for two or more turns. He has Joe Johnston with him. I would anticipate that his Corp also has sufficient food.

The final bit is Stuarts small cavalry division at Richmond which seems adequately provisioned. On a superficial first glance then its does not look good for the Confederacy. But hang on a minute. Delve a wee bit deeper and its no better for the Union. Hmmmm I have potentially serious problems :( .

Take a considered perusal of those Union depots at Amherst, Burkeville and Garysburg and what do you see. Amherst is empty :love: At Burkeville it looks like the cooks will need to produce a recipe for cannon and musket balls......maybe in gravy :mdr: Only Garysburg has a decent store and I have a cat in hells chance of holding onto that fair city.

Why do I say so? As you would expect Crittendens command has lost about a third of its cohesion in the successful force march whilst E. and/or Joe Johnston's Corps at Petersburg can rail to Garysburg even in this weather in a couple of days (the rail lines are intact).

So truth is I'm about as desperate as the CSA to get supplies to my forces.

To graphically highlight the problem we have Franklin and Hamiltons troops ......I'm sending them back to Amherst on assault orders (just in case Jackson heads back)....... OK for supply providing I can hang on to Amherst.

I wish the same could be true for the Corps with US Grant. Enough for a turn, possibly two but thats it. And with the weather as it is marching anywhere takes an age.

This is the size of the task facing both the Union and the Confederacy. I have almost 150,000 committed in Virginia.

Banks must have around 80,000.

So what to do, what to do. I've demonstrated the problem. How to handle it thats the rub.

First the assumptions. I think that Franklin and Hamilton will get back to Amherst safely and be able to secure the depot properly. It is possible for my opponent to send Stuart from Richmond to assault it or to have Jackson return. In both cases I should be able to hold them off (providing my troops fight). I do have a slight concern they may not as cohesion is low.

Another possibility is for say Lee/Longstreet to move to Amherst. Now that combination I would lose to. I do not think it likely. There is no rail link and I don't reckon that they can cover the distance on foot in the time. At least I hope not.

I must further believe that Banks will make every effort to recapture Garysburg with the two Johnstons. That move I cannot withstand. The best I can do is move Crittenden out immediately but detach a token single regiment (a suicide mission) to make the gesture of trying to destroy the depot.

That leaves the main force at Burkeville. If supplies get through I'm OK. But will supplies get through? If they don't I'm in real trouble. I've highlighted the possible moves but just look at those times. With the exception of Petersburg they are all well out of reach. And if I do move on Petersburg what if supplies do not get through?

I could of course move back to Amherst. I've enough provisions for two turns and two turns is what it would take. But that means making another backward move which I have not the stomach to do. Nope I'm going to sit tight. If supplies are received my intention is to go for Richmond in early March. How you might ask if the weather does not improve?

Well sitting at Washington is that brand spanking shiny new Corp of Whipple's. 30,000 strong. Its moving to Fredericksburg. Just let him be active next time and Stuart is going to have one hell of a job on his hands hanging on to Richmond.

Thats about it for the East. Its just a case of keeping fingers crossed and hoping that the weather changes PDQ.

Note - I'm sure you've worked it out already ...... the intials indicate who is commanding the force....e.g. C = Crittenden, JJ = Joe Johnston.

Kentucky

My forces are about in place. Two Corps at Louisville and Lexington just waiting to advance once the weather changes. Nothing to do but sit and wait and gather additional troops.

Tennessee

In submitting the files back to me Banks commented that my withdrawal from Covington to Humboldt was due to lack of supplies. I tell you he is a fine adversary ;) Fortunately Paducah is well stocked so provisions should be pushed forward immediately to correct the deficit.

I could not help but notice however that all of a sudden I've lost any sort of Confederate force at Forts Henry and Donelson. In addition, though my reconnaissance of Corinth is poor it seems as if the composition of that contingent might have swelled quite considerably. Has Banks been wiley again and pulled out of the Forts? I wonder? I'm going to test it out by despatching a lone cavalry regiment at Columbus to go take a look.

I've also ordered Thomas at Paducah to march south. With Hooker absorbing Fosters divisions (Foster is being sent to muster further reinforcements at St Louis) I shall have three decent Corps operational with Meade. Thats becoming more like it.

Florida

Until I get those two fresh divisions (not likely till early April) I do not believe we shall see any action in this theatre unless my opponent initiates it.

To the odds and sods then.

Drafts - Nil although I see the Confederacy went with full mobilization (not before time)

Finances - Nil

Economy - 200 rail

Reinforcements

1 Medical Unit

Replacements

6 Line Infantry 3 Field Artillery

What else? Well the CSA went with money printing. NM for the Union is at 108 and the CSA has reduced to 100 as a result of that mobilization

Thats about it until next time. :coeurs:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue May 05, 2009 3:33 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late February 63 result and Early March orders[/size][/color]

Not a bad result for either of us this time around. I think we both might draw some comfort from the way things went. Straight into the meat of it then.

Virginia

With the loss of the Garysburg depot and no obvious means of resupply the Confederates have taken the opportunity afforded by the bad weather to withdraw to North Carolina. Save for a token presence at Petersburg and a few of Moseby's raiders to the north the state of Virginia is clear of rebel troops. :thumbsup: I therefore have the opportunity of retaking Richmond and Petersburg without too much trouble.

I've lost track of every sizeable CSA force in the east with the exception of JEB Stuarts Corp which I'll come to later.

With spring now rapidly approaching the weather will not catch me in a trap again in this area. I shall doubly guard against leaving a road open to Richmond again.

The immediate orders then are for Dix's small Corp to assault Richmond and for McDowell to storm Petersburg. Hamilton and Franklins force MUST rest for a month to recover. They are exhausted. :(

West Virginia

Although I'm not showing it further reinforcements are marching from Grafton to Millboro to strengthen Rousseau's command. He should have a division and a half under his wing by late March.

North Carolina

Having a sub heading saying North Carolina is comforting. At last I feel as if I might start to make some headway again.

Firstly Hillsboro which Phil Kearny's division captured revolted and misguidedly returned to the CSA ranks. I am certain we shall convince them of the error of their ways before err long. ;)

Kearny on leaving Hillsboro stormed Raleigh on the evening of day 4. The battle report looks better than it actually is as three of the enemy elements destroyed were in point of fact a brigade in the process of being recruited at Raleigh.

A further bonus for the Union is that the city is the recruiting area for the Confederacy in North Carolina...so thats a conscript or two that the CSA will not receive at least for a turn.

Kearny had orders expressly forbidding him to stop. His next target being the depot at Goldsboro.

It was at Garysburg that I had my real 'slice of luck'. I held it for long enough to destroy the depot. I actually held the city until day 14. Now that was total unexpected. I strongly suspect its because we are operating with the maximum delay and those rebel troops just failed to start moving quickly enough.

As you would expect, given that my defending force was a token regiment I was completely overwhelmed by the swarm of Confederate troops pulling back from the North.

The real plus is of course that unless Banks builds more depots (which is expensive to do) other than Goldsboro his only other depot in the region is way back at Wilmington. :w00t:

On day 15 Kearny and his command reached Goldboro but much to my dismay JEB Stuart had managed to travel all the way back from Richmond (those railways.....grrr) in advance of my arrival.

Despite a valiant effort Kearny was forced to concede defeat and is now in the process of retiring. As news reached Washington of his successful foray into North Carolina, Mr Lincoln was quick to award him his second star.

This then is the situation in the East. Grant has ordered a general advance. With Berry he will move to Mecklenburg. McDowell has been issued with secondary orders to advance to Lunenburg just north of Garysburg, provided he can secure Peterburg without too much difficulty.

Whipple at Fredricksburg has sealed instructions to move directly to Burkeville.

As I've lost sight of the Confederate armies it does occur to me that the main bulk must be located in and around Garysburg. If that is so then there is a real threat that Banks could turn a Corp east and take Norfolk. In fact I'm rather hoping that he does as with my intended move for McDowell it would provide me with the opportunity of encircling a decent sized Rebel force.

Will he do it?.......I've certainly left him the opportunity.

Before I leave the East I'm aware that I've yet to do an objective AAR for 63. I do intend to produce one in a day or two but in advance of that I'll roughly spell out my intentions as I go.

In this theatre its the liberation of North Carolina by the end of the year. If I can I'd also like to start 'dipping my toe' into the Tennessee waters from the east e.g. Marion and Johnson City.

Florida

That extra division or two is just boarding transports at Boston. They should arrive by mid April. Perhaps then I can get things moving.

My objective in this area in 63 is the repatriation of Alabama. :thumbsup:

Tennessee

I have a slight suspicion......a whiff of something in the air......that events are starting to stir in this neck of the woods. Trouble is its not only in the Union troops that the sap is starting to rise and we are beginning to roll up our sleeves looking for a barney. Would you just credit it. Banks has gone and moved Bragg and Polk and Johnston and gathered them together at Decaturville. Now why the hell has he elected to move Bragg from Memphis leaving that fair city under the charge of Watie? What scheme is he brewing? And will I fall for it again?

Fortunately there is a lot of mud about and with most of the rail lines cut moving will be no easier for the CSA than it is for the Union. So......Meade has issued orders to Joe Hooker 'Go try to take Memphis'. Assuming he marches on time it should take him 11 days to arrive.

G Smiths Confederate Corp was still at Forts Henry and Donelson. Thats a shame :( At least I have them well targetted.

Thomas made it safely to Humboldt to join Meade and Rosecrans. Now you will note that on the picture I'm showing movement arrows indicating that Meade, Thomas and Rosecrans are to attempt to attack Albert Johnston's defenses at Decaturville. That was the plan.

Oh......and I should have given you additional information as well (silly me).

Hookers Corp - 3 Divisions - 20,000 effectives, 120 cannon. Power rating 1603

Thomas Corp - 2 Diivisions - 16,000 effectives, 84 cannon. Power rating 1423

Rosecrans Corp - 4 Divisions - 28,000 effectives, 161 cannon. Power rating 2183

Anyway returning to the plot....that was the plan to conduct a major assault on that CSA army. Odds of about 2:1

Then I looked again and realised that I'd be travelling in mud. Then it occured to me. What if Banks did the same as he did in the east? What if he plans for me to make that attack and sidesteps me and moves a region North to Henry? If he were to do that he brings G Smiths Corp into play. He is able to draw more than adequate supply from the east......from Nashville and Pulaski.

It would be the east all over again. This time though it would be Meade and his Corps completely out of position with the rebels having an easy ride to Paducah and beyond.

Nah....nope....forget it....on yer bike......cabbage looking I may be but green never. I'm not playing that silly game again Banks my friend. :thumbsup:

My revised orders therefore are for Meade and Thomas to remain at Humboldt but with attack orders (better odds of MTSG) if needed. Rosey is ordered to plug that gap at Henry, whilst Halleck with his division has orders to move from Evansville to strengthen Little Mac at Paducah.

Tennessee

The weather is changing, if somewhat slowly, so we are on the march. Stevens at Lexington has orders to report to Louisville. Sumner, at Louisville, is instructed to move to Madisonville. Lets see whether I can start to exert some pressure.

Edit In my haste I forgot to add my objectives for the Western Theatre for 63. Its the obvious ones. The liberation of Kentucky and Tennessee with hopefully Vicksburg thrown in as well. Yep ....63 is the year to be ambitious. :love:

Before we get to the odds and ends.....I wonder where Banks is doing the majority of his recruiting? I know I will find out shortly but I cannot help but wonder whether he's loaded one theatre over another.

Finances - Nil

Economy - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Reinforcements -

Two Ocean Transports

Replacements -

15 Line Infantry, 2 Cavalry, 3 Field Artillery

The Lightening Mule Brigade has been formed. Brigadier General Gierson and his cavalry brigade duly reported for duty.

Other events were the National Banking Act which produced 100,000 dollars for the coffers and the introduction of National Conscription which whilst injecting a further 200 conscript companies into reserves had the adverse affect of lowering NM by 5.

Thus NM for the Union now stands at 104 against 101 for the CSA.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu May 07, 2009 10:03 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early March 63 result and Late March orders[/size][/color]

OK so as it happens this proved to be a big turn for the Union. About everything that could have gone in my favour did so. Its a great start to the new campaigning year.....sadly though the weather has turned to deep mud everywhere and I cannot take advantage of my successes :(

Virginia

Basically a quiet move. With the CSA having retired from Virginia there was little for me to do other than 'mop up'. Dix was unopposed as his Corp marched into Richmond. McDowell had two militia units to deal with at Petersburg but they were quickly despatched.

In truth it was nothing more than a recovery move (restoring the line that I'd won so hard in late summer 62 and conceded so stupidly to a brilliant sideways move by Banks in the autumn/winter months)

Deep mud abounds everywhere and any move takes at least 12 days per region. In these conditions I cannot move forward. The Rebels are constructing a line of defence deep in North Carolina. I'd love to be able to assault them before they can become entrenched but in these conditions I'm currently 3 turns away. So all I can do is sit and await the spring thaw.

I have no forward or offensive moves at all other than to take the 'undefended Garysburg' with Grant and Berrys Corp (they are the only ones that can make it by the end of the month)

I only had one bit of 'sour' news in the whole of the turn....and I cannot complain about that. It was in the East and it concerned Phil Kearny's command. To recap it had performed far better than I could have expected and I was attempting to return the division to occupied territory. Sadly we came upon retiring enemy forces that compelled him to retire.

The net result is that Kearny's command is totally...and I do mean totally ....decimated. I'm attempting to send the remanents home but as you can see both time and supplies are against them. Oh well.....so I lose 3,000 cavalry. Easy if you say it quickly and if you remember its just a game. Bitter indeed when its for real.

So in the East and to the objectives that I talked about last turn for 63. Simple......take an hold North Carolina.

Ive shown the picture at the end of 62 but with the salient back into Virginia (in Red) that Banks made in early 63. Hopefully now thats totally dead and buried.

[SIZE="3"]
WESTERN THEATRE[/size]

Tennessee

At long last I got an important call right. My but Banks is formidable and I nearly fell for the same move . I nearly went with Meade against Decaturville. I am so ....so ...glad that eventually I saw the potential error of my ways and moved Rosey to Henry and provided him with support from Thomas.

So the upshot was that Banks assumed that I would attack him in force at Decaturville and attempted the same sort of sidestep move that he had achieved in the East with RE Lee against Grant.

Instead I'd seen the danger so Rosey moved to Henry rather than assault the enemy positions. For whatever reason his troops were quicker to react than the Confederacy and consequently were the first to arrive. Thus Rosecrans met Patrick Cleburne's force and repulsed it although the result was maginal.

Whilst this victory was being hard fought, Joe Hookers Corp was moving towards Memphis. It brushed aside an enemy cavalry unit at Hardeman then moved on purposefully towards Memphis.

In the early hours of the 12th Hookers troops assaulted the entrenched defences of Waties force at Memphis. The attack was overwhelming and Waties command was annilhated

On day 13th (I think we are back to that maximum delay lag) the main body of the Confederate forces from Decaturville arrived in Henry. By this time Rosecrans was well dug in and also able to call on support from Thomas's Corp which were eager to MTSG.

Following the early March battles this is my assessment of the enemy forces before me. I'd love to be able to take them on. I should be able to do so. Problem is....the weather. Mud everywhere. The best I can do is basically sit tight for a move. I'm certain that Banks will pull back again. There seems little other option what with Rosey having blunted the CSA's offensive.

In the West then this is the position. I still have nowhere near 2-1 odds but the difference is growing. I'm also now holding a decent line which I believe Banks will have a hard time shifting. My call is that he will withdraw his Confederate forces rather than attempt to attack/defend ....Now the question is what will he do about Forts Henry/Donelson and also Nashville? Does he defend them and possibly leave them out on a limb? Does he retreat?

One move that I'm confidently expecting is the destruction and abandonment of the Bowling Green depot by Banks this time around. I'm ready for such a move as I've Stevens Corp heading that way from Louisville. :love:

So my Western Theatre objectives for 63 look like this. It is quite ambitious (paticularly as I'd like to include Vicksburg) but then again not necessarily so. Particularly as a significant portion of it is actually dedicated to capturing objectives that I'd set myself in 62 and failed dismally to achieve. :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: In 63 the Union weight of numbers should really start to show.

[SIZE="3"]
TRANSMISSISSIPPI
[/size]

Arkansas

Just thought I'd show you this picture out of interest and to demonstrate why I'm not attempting to move Sheridan for the time being. Snow virtually everywhere in this theatre. Please let the thaw come soon :neener:

Florida

No picture this time around simply because nothing has changed and for my part it will not until those reinforcements (early April schedule - they are at sea) arrive. Similarly I'm not producing an objectives map for 63 for this theatre for no other reason than because I cannot (within the game) produce a map that encompasses the whole of Alabama (my 63 objective). I'm sure you can imagine it without a pretty picture.. ;)

Bits and bobs or odds and ends.

Well I have so many potential promotions its an embarrassment. Joe Hooker is able to gain this third star...which I'm taking. Samuel Curtis has been awarded his second star which I'm also accepting.

I'm refusing the promotions for Fitzjohn Porter and Joseph Mansfield simply because I no longer have need for promotions that cost VP hits.

As to the rest

Finances - Nil

Economy - 50 Rail

Drafts - Nil

Reinforcements -

3 Medical Units

Kentucky

2 Supply Units

Replacements

I Elite Infantry, 2 Cavalry and 5 Supply Units

NM stands at 118 now for the Union as against 88 for the Confederacy.

Jim-NC

Thu May 07, 2009 10:27 pm

Ambitious goals for the coming year. Good luck capturing all that territory.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon May 11, 2009 9:01 pm

[SIZE="6"][color="Red"]Late March 63 result and Early April Orders[/color][/size]

At long last the weather seems to be changing for the better. If I'm to get anywhere near to achieving the objectives I've set myself for 63 then I must hope for a very long spell of decent weather.

Virginia and North Carolina

Well diving in at the deep end, lets get the bad news over straight away. Phil Kearny's command is no more. Dispersed and wiped out to a man through lack of supplies :( It was not unexpected but it still rankles for all of that. (sigh).

Apart from the demise of some 3,000 cavalry (does not seem so bad if you say it quickly).......at least thats what I kid myself :bonk: the Union moves in the east went relatively well. Grant sauntered unapposed into Garysburg and Corps throughout the theatre either recovered much needed cohesion or received welcome reinforcements and replacements. If there was one slight sour note it was that Moseby's raiders captured Harpers Ferry. Its only a temporary setback but it is one I could have done without having to counter.

Now for me the one really 'interesting' piece of information relates to Goldsboro. As you can see, with the loss of Kearny's cavalry I'm temporarily deprived of my forward eyes and ears so I cannot see any of the Confederate forces ranged before me. (I have to send replacement cavalry forward asap) But at Goldboro the CSA are building a fort. :thumbsup:

Now I'm guessing of course, without information its all I can do, but I'm guessing that Banks is forming a defensive line to protect North Carolina and the evirons on roughly the 'white line' that I've mapped out.

With my primary objective in the Eastern Theatre for 63 being the subjugation of North Carolina, if I'm right, I cannot allow Johnny Reb to become too entrenched.

I could try a direct frontal assault but with no intelligence and with most Corps still well short of full combat ability its not a policy I wish to pursue. However I do need to get closer so its a cautious approach on the whole front with the single exception of Grants left flank. Here on the seaward side I'm ordering Crittenden to assault the first of the seaboard Forts, Ft Clark. As you can see I've highlighted the three intial key targets. I intend to hop from one to another. If I can achieve it I should be able to exert some pressure on the Confederate flank in North Carolina.

Also worth noting is the way, in this theatre that, with the exception of Crittenden, my major Corps are supporting one another. Hamilton and Franklin are moving from Amherst in tandum to Lynchburg.

Whipple and McDowell are moving to Garysburg with Grant and Berry pressing on to assault Washington. Dix's Corp has orders to move to Burkeville to protect that vital depot for now.

The forward move by all major commands on the entire front has the added bonus of placing Richmond somewhat further in the rear which must be a good thing.

The only piece of the jigsaw in the East that I'm not showing is in West Virginia where Rousseau's small Corp is marching to Covington.

If this campaign is to be successful for the Union then in 63 the initative must firmly remain with Billy Yank.

Florida

Because of the necessity of exerting pressure at every opportunity from here on in I've decided (given the change of weather) that I cannot await the reinforcements from the North which are still 20 days away. Nathaniel Banks has to face off the Confederate forces at Mobile and Milroy HAS to move.

I have two options for Milroy. The first is Montgomery which is also the recruiting centre for Alabama so its a decent target. Also within reach though, assuming that the forced march works, is Columbus. Now I'm certain Banks would not be expecting that and there is a juicy fat depot at Columbus.

Initially I decided on Columbus, the surprise element being the swaying factor but then, when I'd decided on orders in other areas, I altered it to Montgomery. As to why....hopefully all will become clear as you read on. :love:

Suffice it to say for now that Milroys target is Montgomery.

Tennessee

Well at Henry Tennessee, Johnston, Polk and Bragg managed to ellude me but not so Gustavus Smith's force. That little command my Union forces managed to decimate.

In addition to the actual battle losses just look at the message report. The enemy tried to retreat and suffered 82 hits. Now the number of hits an infantry (not militia, cavalry or artillery) element can take is 20. So 80 hits is the equivalent of losing 4 infantry elements. OK so its spread over the whole command but using the 'flavour' numbers thats the eqivalent of a further 2,500 casualties. So I can presume that at the start Smiths force was approaching 6,000 in total, lost around 2,500 in trying to retreat and then lost a further 1200 in the battle. A very satisfactory result that once again hopefully demonstrates the need to go beyond the obvious and really interpret and analyse those reports :thumbsup:

Thomas's Corp at Humboldt marched to the sound of the guns again (good ol' boy:coeurs :) so the weight was most certainly on my side. Trouble is I've lost touch with Johnston Polk and Bragg so the success is somewhat tempered.

Flushed with this victory and wishing to press home my advantage I espied what I at first thought to be a 'godsent' opportunity. Thomas at Humboldt is active. Not only that but his command is in very good order even after having marched to support Rosecrans. From his current position it is possible to sidestep Forts Henry and Donelson and move direct on Nashville. The weather is good so no slowdown of movement. Only 11 days to Nashville. An excellent move, I initally thought. So I plan the move of Thomas to Nashville. That leaves Humboldt extremely exposed. Mind you I reason why not move Rosey from Henry to Humboldt ..... that I can do. But that means losing control of Henry and a decent Union force sitting there is nice as it sort of threatens the Forts but affords some protection to Meades flank. Hmmm well I can always move Little Mac from Paducah to replace Rosey. That would leave Paducah lightly defended but surely safe enough. Thus went my logic and my orders. Hence the picture with the movement arrows.

Kentucky

Now my brain really swung into overdrive. If I was going to make that move then I had to make an effort to tighten the noose in Kentucky I reckoned that Sumner needed additional supplies before I dared move him forward but Stevens command....now that I thought I could move on towards Bowling Green.

Decisons made, die cast and to all intents and purposes I'm happy with them. So I then look at the rest of the Theatre. What do I discover but that with the change to clement weather its possible for Joe Hooker to make it to Grenada quite easily. Not only that but he has supply wagons with him so the range is not that important at least to begin with. Its a move I decide to make.

Just hold on to this bit for a little while longer if you are still with me :coeurs:

[SIZE="3"]
TRANSMISSISSIPI[/size]

Arkansas

I discover that its now possible for Phil Sheridan to move. OK so ideally I'd like the time to bolster his command with additional troops that are on the way. Yet.....if I move now.....Bolivar is within reach. If I order Sheridan forward whilst at the same time pushing Hooker to Grenada... that really might, just might give me an edge in the centre.

Tennessee

I then got to thinking some more and I had to conclude that attempting to move hard against Nashville and decisively into Mississippi at the same time was perhaps a trifle unwise. Meades army is already stretched further than I'd like. I had to decide on one course of action at a time and concentrate my effort accordingly. That got me to thinking further about Johnston, Polk and Bragg. Now where have those little tinkers gone to I wonder? At one level I'm clueless yet the speed with which they evaporated into the night suggests that they went by river. Logically that means either south towards Tuscumbia/Decatur or east to Nashville.

If they had moved to Tuscumbia or Decatur then Griersons cavalry at Corinth would be picking them up but they are not. In any event if Banks has transported them by river then why to either of those destinations? So far away from the front line. No his move with those troops has to have been east to support Nashville.

If thats so then Thomas's march to Nashville becomes suicidal. I quickly re-evaluate and decide that Nashville can wait.

Its revised orders. Rosecrans is to hold at Henry. That still puts me threatening or posturing at the Forts. Meade and Thomas will advance on Decaturville. Little Mac's Corp will hold at Paducah whilst Halleck and a couple of Brigades will move to garrison Humbolt.

Kentucky

With the course of action firmly set Sumner is to hold (which was the original intention) but Steven's command I intend to halt where it is.

Mississippi and Alabama

Panning out to a picture that starts to join up the Lower Seaboard with the Transmississippi and Western Theatres I believe that I've decided on the right strategy. If I succeed then I immediately threaten Jackson and Vicksburg again. It also begins to make the CSA position in Mobile somewhat uncomfortable. Anyway my move has been submitted to Banks so there is no going back.

Odds and ends.

Finances - Nil

Economy
- Nil

Drafts - Nil

Reinforcements

New York

2 x 1 regiment Zouaves

Missouri

2 x Supply Wagons

Replacements - 1 Elite Infantry, 4 Line Infantry 1 Skirmisher

NM for the Union now 118 for the CSA 87

Foreign Intervention stands at minus 42

Oh and lest I forget President Lincoln agreed to the promotion of Joe Hooker to three star and Curtis to two.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri May 15, 2009 6:10 pm

Hmmm, just a fairly quick line. I've posted my late April orders to Banks but blow me down if he's not going on a long weekend vacation until Monday or Tuesday of next week. And there's me itching to see the results of the turn as in many respects it could be quite a significant one. Without doubt events are beginning to come to the boil somewhat.

Ah well it does give me the weekend to muster my thoughts better before posting the AAR. The turn is done so in one respect I'm totally committed.....(or perhaps I should be:mdr :) but it does allow me more time to compose how I present it. ;)

Just to perhaps wet the appetite though.

[SIZE="5"]Union troops advance on all fronts. Lincoln calls for major summer offensive.[/size]

Johnny Canuck

Fri May 15, 2009 7:50 pm

Argh, I see a new soundoff post, only for it to be a tease. :( Can't wait for the update! :)

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri May 15, 2009 11:16 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early April 63 result and Late April Orders[/size][/color]

Given Johnny Canuck's post how can I possibly delay longer :thumbsup:

As I alluded above events are really beginning to bubble in 63. I could have wished for a couple of more battles in early April but am quite happy to settle for the progress I actually made.

Virginia and North Carolina

On the face of it a quiet move but that would be to ignore the impending possibilities. Franklin and Hamilton moved without hinderance to Lynchburg where they now sit poised. Dix's Corp relieved Whipple at Burkeville, allowing the latter to move to Petersburg to support McDowells Corp that was moving from Lunenburg.

At Petersburg, Berry's force marched as instructed by Grant to assault Washington NC. The advance went exactly to plan. The pity was that the Confederates had long since abandoned the city to its own devices. The only irritating issue was that Grant himself decided to go on a bender so remains firmly entrenched in Petersburg when the objective was for him to move with Berry to Washington. (sometimes this long delay setting we are playing with does throw up some humdingers but it makes it interesting:coeurs :)

With the loss of Kearny's cavalry division I lack decent reconnaissance and remain virtually blind along the whole of the front. I can see E Johnston with what is reported to be a couple of commanders (perhaps he has a small corp) at Hillsboro. I'm rushing cavalry forward as quickly as I am able but GRRRR the darned weather in the East has turned again. Its mud everywhere :(

The change in weather will certainly slow me down (so whats new) but maybe thats not such a bad thing as Franklin and Hamiltons Corps still have a sizeable amount of cohesion to recover. Another enforced rest will serve them well.

I have my eye on Raleigh. I've ringed the little tent. That means its North Carolina's recruiting centre. If I can I'd like to deprive Banks of North Carolina's conscripts before err long. Of real interest though is the level two fortress at Goldboro. To have built such a fortress at Goldboro demonstrates the value my opponent places on the location. It really is a key forward position and depot. Take real good note of it. You don't see players construct many level two forts in this game. Damn but Banks keeps giving me a hard time. ;)

It does tend to confirm my last AAR thought that he will defend the New Berne, Goldboro, Raleigh, Hillsboro line.

Now a little bit about strategy and tactics. If you have been following along since the start you may have realised by now that I'm not particularly a 'up and at em.....full frontal assault' type of player. As I keep beating on about AACW being primarily about maneouver its no surprise if thats the major tactic that I use. For me much better to outflank my opponent. Make the defence untenable. Make your opponent move out of those nice cosy trenches. If you can, encircle them so that you fight the battles on YOUR terms. Force the enemy to attack and if they dont hopefully starve them. Sadly for me every time I've tried to close the net on Banks, fine player that he is, he's managed to slip away. :(

So the current dilemma is that its mud everywhere, not good for speed of movement or for retaining cohesion. If I'm right about the defensive line then most of it is behind the Neuss river, thus any attempts at direct assault will incur a crossing penalty. Then the CSA have had time to dig in so they will enjoy a lovely defensive bonus. Add in those wonderful leaders Lee, Jackson and Longstreet. Oh and lets not forget that level 2 fortification at Goldboro that will really mess up my ZOC. Unless I really bring overwhelming odds to bear its not looking good for a direct frontal assault.

There is a further complication as well. I'm outstripping my supply. If I move too fast I'm in real danger of entire commands disappearing into thin air through lack of food. More of that in a minute or two.

Thus its a more cautious and considered approach. After all the 63 campaigning season has a long long way to go. No need to rush things at this stage. So softly softly catchee monkey as we say. Pleasanton with cavalry (hurrah) is to move from Burkeville to Nash NC. Lets see what that move uncovers.

William Averell with the 2nd New York Veteran Empire Light Cavalry is to meet with Kearny in Martin NC. Hopefully that will produce some decent scouting information as well.

Whipple and McDowell are ordered to advance slowly to Warren NC.

At Petersburg I am constructing a new depot (much needed but two turns before its online)

The more astute amongst you might notice on the far eastern edge of the map that Crittenden now resides comfortably in Fort Clark. I'll deal with that in more detail in half a mo. ;)

I'm making one other move in this Theatre that you might find interesting. Its another issue for me to discuss in a bit. Stay with me and hopefully all will become clear.

Getting supply to my forces is becoming a real issue. I'm working as quickly as I can to relieve the pressure but it does take time. I'm building a depot at Petersburg and, as you can see, I've ordered forward from Burkeville 3 fresh supply wagons for the lead Corps. I've deliberately decided to dwell on this move for a moment or two. Look, I'm providing it with a Division escort. A division I've detached reluctantly from Dix. I don't like weakening his command as it holds a vital pivotal position but I'd warn against any player sending forward non combat units without escort. Its dicing with disaster. I learnt that the hard way. Protect your valuable assets just as you would in reality. Either that or be prepared to lose them. :coeurs:

The other supply orientated move I'm not showing is to rush units to Richmond to commence rebuilding a supply depot in that fair city.

Now you will recall last time around that I talked about trying to take out the seaboard coastal forts so that I could outflank Bank's defences and have a crack at Wilmington. Well as you can see Crittendens Corp assailed Fort Clark. On a murky afternoon of the 13th forward troops of A. Smiths 24th Division stormed the defences. The defenders were caught completely by surprise and were quickly overwhelmed.

Back at Washington the victory was hailed as a triumph but elation soon turned to apprehension as further information became available indicating that the victors were in dire need of supplies. It was quickly recognised that the plight of Crittendens force was critical. Sufficient stocks had been captured to feed the Corp for the next 14 days....but after that....unless fresh supplies were forthcoming :bonk: :bonk: Worse still was the news that the command was exhausted from the supreme effort made in taking the fortress and could go no further for the time being.

President Lincoln has ordered that every concievable effort be made to resupply this splendid body of men.

So providing I can resupply Crittenden, give him perhaps a month to recover cohesion ..... the next fort in the chain becomes the objective. If that happens then perhaps Banks will have to turn his defensive line.... just maybe?

Whats the other interesting bit I was referred to above you enquire? I'll let you into the secret now. Its this. Its part of the planned move of Whipple and McDowells Corp from Petersburg to Warren NC. There is an associated teeny weany move that I'm also making in preparation for the future. From one of Whipples divisions I'm detaching the 4th USMC and sending it to join Berrys command at Washington. Why? Study the picture below again. See where Berrys Corp is. Now trace the line to Wilmington. I've already mapped it out. The weather for the regions this far south is OK. Guess what? Berry can make that march without force marching in 16 days. In doing so he has to cross the Neuss and that slows him down. Now if I add those 4th US Marines to his command he will get over that river at least a couple of days quicker........Wilmington might be under threat sooner rather than later.

Its all ifs buts and maybes at this stage yet its a possibility. Plan ahead if you can. I try to.

I would accept that virtually everything I'm planning relies on my adversary continuing to dig in rather than commence any offensive action. I suspect I might be safe for a turn or two yet but the way Bank's has played so far I cannot rely on it. Thus in moving forward I'm endeavouring to maintain sound lines of supply. I do not want those Rebels pouring through a gap towards Richmond with me caught with my trousers down around my ankles again :thumbsup:

West Virginia

The last piece of the jigsaw in the East. The weather change means that Rousseaus small Corp which did move to Covington will remain in situ for another turn. Trouble is the terrain in this neck of the woods and all the way to Knoxville and beyond is treacherous as I'm certain Banks knows only too well. I'm sure he will not expect me to advance along the Christianburg, Marion, Johnston City line. And he would be right. I still need however to deprive him of any ability he has of switching commands quickly from East to West or viz a versa.

The only way to achieve this is to conduct more rail cutting operations. Thats what I intend to try to do.

Kentucky

Firstly another region where supply is becoming critical. This time its Stevens Corp that is suffering. Just enough for the coming move. I feel I'm somewhat fortunate though. Banks pulled back from Bowling Green destroying the depot. I reckon Nashville and the environs must be overflowing with Rebel troops....how I need some scouting reports.

Whatever, it does afford me the opportunity of retaking Bowling Green. Stevens has been ordered forward to make the attack. There is only a weak garrison holding. In exactly the same way as I did from Dix's command in the East I've detached a division from Sumner to escort two supply units to Bowling Green to replenish Stevens Corp.

Sumners remaining divisions are ordered to assault Clarksville. At Forts Henry and Donelson I'm picking up a force commanded by Hindman. It appears to be only a single division. There must be additional forces close by must'nt there?

My single greatest fear is that Banks is massing troops in and around Nashville. If I've gauged his most recent moves anywhere near right in this Theatre in the last month he has Johnston, Bory, Polk and Forney (all with sizable commands) in the vicinity. Should he cross the Cumberland again I shall have to attempt to hold. No retreat this time. :( I must also continue to protect the road to Paducah and Cairo otherwise he may well be able to create havoc in my rear.(shudder ..... does not bear thinking about)

Tennessee

Meade and Thomas advanced and liberated Decaturville. Again the enemy had long since decamped so it was a hollow victory. As with the forces in Kentucky supply is a problem for Meade as well. I'm hurrying units forward to Humboldt (earmarked for a depot) from St Louis as quickly as I possibly can. Until its constructed my ability to move significantly forward is restricted.

Its quite surprising how the dilemmas I currently face in the East are mirrored in the West. As well as supply being problematical I'm no better off with reconnaissance. I'm attempting to rush Grierson from Corinth across the Waverley Run to Perry, Tennessee. By the way that was another hollow victory. Griersons Cavalry marched unopposed into Corinth taking the Confederate stronghold and key rail intersection with not the slightest whiff or sign a graycoat.

Mississippi

First things first. Sheridan did not make it to Bolivar. Those darned CSA gunboats and ironclads were guarding the Middle Mississippi River, forcing him and his troops to Helena.

Some of you will no doubt recall that I said at the very start of this game with Banks that I would not really use the fleets side as I thought there was already sufficient edge to the Union. Well I said it but I was not counting on Banks putting up such stiff resistance as he is doing. I need to control the Mississippi. It was vital for the Union in RL and its vital for the Union player in the game. I had hoped that I'd be able to exert control by taking all of the key land positions and over time I might but it will take too long. Consequently I'm ordering all river forces to converge on Island 10 where I will group them for action. In addition I'm commencing an Ironclad building programme.

Although Sheridan was unsuccessful I've ordered his command to attempt a crossing and assault on Bolivar again. I need his troops the other side of the Mississippi. :(

Joe Hooker though. Now that was a different story. Joe's troops made it unopposed to Grenada. Another Confederate city down without a semblance of a conflict. The thought of staying still with Hooker does not enter my mind. He has orders to directly march on Vicksburg. I would guess that Banks will have at least a division protecting it. If I'm lucky not a full division as his resources must be stretched by now. If I'm fortunate enough to capture Vicksburg whether or not I attempt to hold it will depend in large measure on whether I can get Sheridan across the river as I want Hooker moving on Mobile before May is out. (assuming of course that he does not get repulsed at Vicksburg) :love:

Florida and Alabama

The Union and Confederate forces still glare at one another across Mobile Bay. Banks has brought up further CSA Ironclads to ensure that any attempted crossing on my part will be heavily contested and extremely costly.

Union reinforcements should arrive in the next few days. A further one and a half divisions, most welcome :thumbsup:

On the 1st of April Milroys Corp, with trumpets blaring and drums beating and fifes doing whatever fifes do, marched out of Santa Rosa heading for Montgomery. On the morning of the 9th forward elements of the Corp engaged outlying pickets of Morgans rebel division. Milroy advanced Hunters 2nd Division. Fierce firefights broke out on the entire front. For several hours the battle was contested but late in the day Steele's 38th division outflanked the Rebel defences.
The enemy fled in complete disarray. In addition to 4 regiments of infantry being either destroyed or captured the CSA abandoned a 12lb Artillery battery which was eagerly seized upon by the Union.

As Montgomery is the conscript recruiting centre for Alabama this must be a bitter blow for the Confederate cause who in addition to Alabama have now been deprived of the conscript recuiting centres in Virginia, Kentucky and Arkansas.

The initial intention was to swing Milroys Corp westwards to effect a linkup with Hookers command. Fortunately though Milroy and his troops are in excellent spirits with morale remaining extremely high. A possible target is Columbus and the depot. A much more risky move......is a thrust at Atlanta the capital of the CSA. Now that would damage the Confederacy and really cause morale in the rebel armies to crumble. Its a high risk strategy. Banks must know that its a possibility and if I'm right about him having significant forces in and around Nashville he's certainly able to detach some of them to move to Atlanta. As he has the use of the rail lines the likelyhood is that he could be in a defensive position in strength well before Milroy arrives. So a gamble it most certainly is. Its putting the 11,500 effectives and 113 cannon of Milroys command in extreme peril. The potential gain though is well worth the possible loss. So Nathaniel Banks has issued orders to Milroy to assault Atlanta. :thumbsup:

To the bits and bobs then.

Financials - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Economy - 50 river transport

Replacements - 1 Elite Infantry

Reinforcements

Missouri

2 Ironclads

Kentucky

6 Ironclads

Maryland

2 Supply Units

Union NM is 118 whilst the CSA is now at 85

Foreign Intervention -41

I trust you can now see why I'm itching to find out how things have turned out ;)

Johnny Canuck

Sat May 16, 2009 4:58 pm

soundoff wrote:Given Johnny Canuck's post how can I possibly delay longer :thumbsup:

LOL! :D

I see what you mean about next turn - too bad Banks will be away for the weekend. Still, the plot thickens . . .

P.S. Let me just say how much I've enjoyed your & Banks' AAR - they've actually gotten me back into AACW after a break. :)

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed May 27, 2009 9:37 am

Hmmm, well the plot indeed does thicken as Johnny Canuck intimated.

I think normal service has been resumed again as this morning I received the results from Banks :thumbsup:

I'm afraid though that its going to take me most of today to work out a strategy and post the AAR because it looks as if the Confederate armies are retiring into the interior......and that has totally thrown me.
As tasters though:

[SIZE="4"]Vicksburg again falls to Hooker - How many more times will the city change hands?[/size]

[SIZE="4"]Milroy conquers Atlanta - wild scenes of celebration throughout the Northern States but can the Union hold onto it?[/size]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu May 28, 2009 10:21 am

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late April 63 result and Early May orders[/size][/color]

Ok then good people back to it :) A very interesting turn and one that has me scratching my head in many ways.

Maryland

Maryland? I hear you say incredulously. Yep Maryland. Its that darned little tinker Moseby. A right pain in the buttocks he is being. Looks like I'm going to have to garrison every ......and I do mean EVERY city in the rear in order to get rid of him. :(

North Carolina

Seems as if I was right about Banks constructing a 'they shall not pass' defensive line along the Neus. As well as a fortress at Goldboro we have another at Raleigh. In addition he's brought up Ironclads to defend the stretch of river between Goldboro and Berne. That puts paid to my plan to move Berry from Washington to Wilmington in one swift move as I discussed last time. :(

Now that defensive line is all well and good but as one of my old lecturers was fond of pointing out defensive strongpoints are only of use if they HAVE to be assaulted. If you can go around them their effectiveness becomes marginal. As I can push supplies both by sea and through West Virginia to the North they fail to interdict my supply lines in any real way. What they do though (I have to concede) is slow me down. Thus it should be possible for me to outflank that defensive line .......assuming of course that I play smart enough. :love:

Trying a frontal assault on those positions would be suicidal as the ZOC those fortresses exert will be considerable. No I have to inch around the line and trust that Banks has no immediate designs on sallying forth in numbers.

Ideally I would wish for better reconnaissance of the enemy positions than I have but that Rebel cavalry Corp led by JEB Stuart at Nash NC is doing a magnificent job of screening. Darn Banks but does he know how to play the game?....you bet he does :) Without further information I am therefore going to operate on the assumption that Longstreet and Stonewall cover Raleigh and Harnet NC. It seems logical as either would then be in a position to MTSG in support of E Johnstons Corp at Hillsboro on my right flank or Early and the ANV at Goldsboro on my left.

OK so for what its worth this is the force composition of my Union commands and the scant Rebel defenders that I see before me. Note that underneath Early at Goldboro is that ANV .......with RE Lee.

Stuarts Corp pushed forward at Nash concerns me. That force, given the speed of its movement and its range could do some serious damage in my rear if I were to let it. In an attempt to prevent such a situation Grant will hold at Garysburg where I'm constructing a depot that should be online at the end of early May.

Dix is ordered to defend the Burkeville depot and environs though I'm weakening his Corp by dispatching Hurlbuts 18th Divison to Lychburg for garrison duties.

McDowell and Whipple are to make no further forward movement for the present until I see how my proposed flank moves unfold. Berry, at Washington, now his swift crossing of the Neus has been thwarted even though his command has been strengthed by the addition of the 4th USMC, has also been issued orders by Grant to remain in situ.

Franklin and Hamilton at Lynchburg have been ordered to assault the CSA left flank at Lynchburg - hence the reason for me detaching a division from Dix to garrison Lynchburg - I dont want the city reverting to Rebel ownership.

In conjunction with this attack Rousseaus small Corp at Covington WV has orders to move on Christianburg. That completes the first part of my plan. To pivot on my centre rather as a Zulu Impi would.....with the horns on either side ;)

On my seaboard right flank Crittenden (although I'm not showing it) has orders to assault the next enemy fort in the chain - Fort Morgan. Ideally I could do with his command resting for another turn. Cohesion is only around three quarters at best. Its just that I cannot afford the wait if I'm to stick to my 63 schedule.

Kentucky and Tennessee

Its my opponents moves in this area that has really thrown me. Its not that I'm seeing much. In fact I'm seeing virtually nothing at all - which is the real worry :coeurs: Now I did expect that Banks would not contest Kentucky too strongly once he'd pulled back over the Cumberland from Bowling Green to Nashville. But just look. The Corp/Division that he had for so long at Forts Henry and Donelson has now been sent elsewhere leaving just a small garrison defending. Nashville appears to be undefended and he's destroyed the depot which pushes his forward supply depots in Tennessee back to Pulaski and Knoxville. That latter is a pig...mountains all around. Good defensive territory but not so wonderful for either striking into or out of :(

I can only presume that Banks has issued orders for a general fall back into his heartland....but where....thats the rub....and is he massing for an strike somewhere? I shall have to keep on my guard.

Things are no different in the rest of Tennessee between the Mississippi and the Tennessee river. Those Johnny Rebs have just melted away.

I feel I have no option other than to order a general advance though I'm not that happy about it. It feels as if Banks is orchestrating my moves and pulling the strings in a funny sort of way. If there is a potential hammer blow aimed at my line I have no idea from which direction it will come nor any notion as to its strength. Last estimates were some 40,000 to 50,000 CSA effectives available in the Theatre but that number may well have grown substantially.

I've issued orders for Rosey to assault the Forts....that move I'm not too worried about (famous last words) his four divisions ought to be able to look after themselves.

Meade with Thomas's Corp is instructed to stay put and defend. Sumner (now this is my real reluctant move) I've ordered across the Cumberland to Nashville with a most conservative attack. Part of Stevens Corp at Bowling Green is to press on to Gallatin whilst the bulk of the Corp remains at Bowling Green (just in case you understand) and in order to oversee the construction of a depot.

Not showing is a move I'm proposing for Little Mac and his two divisions. From Paducah to Humboldt.

You will note, that Sheridan was again blocked from crossing the Mississippi by those darned Confederate riverboats. I have no alternative but to order his command to Memphis. It will strengthen the defense, which I suppose is no bad thing, but it has slowed me down somewhat. I'm also moving a squadron of gunboats from Island 10 down the Mississippi to engage those enemy ships that block my crossing....about time I tried to shift them.

The only other orders I've issued is to Halleck to build a forward depot at Humboldt and for Griersons cavalry brigade with Meade to have a crack at Savannah.

Mississippi

[SIZE="3"]Hooker captures Vicksburg for a second time.[/size]

Well he went and did it again for me. My only regret was the feeble size of the resistance. In truth I did not expect much more but I did secretly hope to meet more than the couple of milita regiments that were actually defending Vicksburg.

Ah well, accept whatever victories come. Its a further wound in the side of the Confederacy which is the main thing. Another objective city taken. With Sheridan being unable to cross the Mississippi though I doubt that I can hold Vicksburg. I need Hookers command in the Mobile area and I certainly cannot wait for reinforcements to arrive. No, Hooker must continue to move South with all due speed. All I intend to do is to leave behind the garrison battery that I captured in the attack.

Note as well, if you would, that there is no depot at either Vicksburg or next door at Jackson. Now Vicksburg I can understand as I arranged for Hooker to blow the depot that first time I took the city. But Jackson, now thats an entirely different kettle of fish. Last time I was in this area that depot was intact. So Banks has obviously destroyed it in an attempt to slow up my advance. Another pointer that he's moving back into the interior methinks.

Sadly its almost a months march for Hookers Corp to reach the Lower Seaboard theatre and by that time his troops will need at least another month to recover cohesion so I'm not reckoning on his command being an effective unit until the beginning of July at the earliest.

Florida

Not really that much to report for now but it will kick off in this theatre later in the year :thumbsup: I just need Hooker to arrive. ;) As it is I'm moving Blairs fresh division to strengthen the defenses at Montgomery. I do need to widen and expand the bridgehead. If Banks were to attack in real force as things currently stand well ......hmmm..... I could see my troops possibily being crushed on the seashore and that would never do :mdr:

Georgia

[SIZE="3"]Milroy the toast of Washington. Union flag flutters proudly over the former capital of the Confederate States[/size]

Evidently my attack took my opponent by surprise. Either that or he could not rail defenders to the city quickly enough. Whatever the reason the victory was most welcome and has done wonders for NM as you would expect but more of that later. Most pleasing was the total destruction of the 5 regiments defending Atlanta.

Now in the e-mail Banks sent accompanying my turn result he did say, whilst congratulating me on the victory, that he was somewhat at a loss to understand how I intended to hold onto the position. Well let me enlighten you. I'm at a loss myself :bonk: :bonk:. Truth to tell I have not a cat in hells chance of holding Atlanta. As I said when I made the move it was always a high risk strategy. For me the benefit is entirely in what it does to NM....that and of course that it should pull troops away from where ever Banks would ideally like them to be.

As it is Milroy has orders to get the hell out of Atlanta as fast as his little legs will carry him. I don't even have time to think about destroying the depot (mores the pity). So its just a rip up of the railroad and a rapid retreat in passive mode with evasion on back to Montgomery if that can be achieved.

Mind you, even were Banks to intercept Milroys force now and destroy it, I'd still consider the escapade a success. After all my assessment was that the endeavour never had more than a 50-50 chance of success in the first place.

So thats about it for another turn other than to report the odds and ends.

Finances - Nil

Economy - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Reinforcements

Pennsylvania - laying down the keels of 6 Ironclads.

Replacements - 1 Elite Infantry, 3 Line Infantry, 2 Field Artillery

NM for the Union now stands at 135 (this will obviously reduce once the Rebs recapture Atlanta and probably Vicksburg) The Confederate NM has been reduced temporarily to 70

As a final aside I'm sure now that the CSA must have real problems in refilling the ranks, let alone creating new units. I know its subject to a decent fluctuation but as of now my expected number of recruits per turn has risen to 90. I'd strongly doubt if the Confederate number is much above 30.

Its all down to whether I can keep turning the screw.

Edited to correct Atlanta error. :thumbsup:

dublish
Corporal

Thu May 28, 2009 9:05 pm

Atlanta wasn't the capital of Georgia until 1868. ;)

Nice capture either way though. As I'm reading both AARs simultaneously, I probably shouldn't say much, but I'm really enjoying the way you two try to get into each others' heads. Keep up the good work!

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu May 28, 2009 9:50 pm

dublish wrote:Atlanta wasn't the capital of Georgia until 1868. ;)

Nice capture either way though. As I'm reading both AARs simultaneously, I probably shouldn't say much, but I'm really enjoying the way you two try to get into each others' heads. Keep up the good work!

Oops....it was the State bit that I put badly. I was really referring to the fact that prior to the fall of Richmond, Banks had made Atlanta the capital....I should have said of the Confederate States. :bonk: :bonk:

And most kind of you dublish to say that you are enjoying our efforts. :thumbsup:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:54 pm

Well good people I've just received the latest turn back from Banks and guess what....yep he's got me scratching my head again. This time its Stonewall materialising like some apparition of doom in West Virginia. Now I have to rethink again :bonk: :bonk: From the reports it looks as if he's steamrollered in from the West.....mighty strange :love:

I'll post the full AAR in a few hours....once I've done the usual pondering :thumbsup:

bburns9
Sergeant

Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:59 pm

soundoff wrote:Well good people I've just received the latest turn back from Banks and guess what....yep he's got me scratching my head again. This time its Stonewall materialising like some apparition of doom in West Virginia. Now I have to rethink again :bonk: :bonk: From the reports it looks as if he's steamrollered in from the West.....mighty strange :love:
:

I'm anxiously awaiting the turn results and your orders (especially since Manstein has just bounced me from the tourney :( ). I think both you and Banks are going to thoroughly enjoy reading each other's AAR when this campaign is done. I'm going to leave it at that for now so as not to inadvertently reveal anything.

BB
Find out what Grant drinks and send a barrel of it to each of my other generals! - A. Lincoln

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:57 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early May 1863 result and Late May orders[/size][/color]

OK so lets get straight to it. On second thoughts though, before I start on the nitty gritty part I'd like to take this opportunity to say a word or two as to how I think I'm doing and what fundamental errors I've made.

Now if I were to try to make an objective assessment it would be ....overall not too bad but could have done better. In the East to have taken Richmond by Mid 62 was a real plus. That has been more than offset though by my poor performance in the Western Theatre. I'm certainly well behind historical schedule in the West, particularly in Tennessee. Now in small part thats down to Lyons not having appeared but I dont want to use his non appearance as some sort of 'cop out' The major reason for the delay in the West was primarily down to my instance to persevere with 'Little Mac'....an almost fatal error. That I did so led to an 'intertia' amongst my command structure and without doubt severely hampered me throughout late 1861 and the major part of 1862.

Another almost catastrophic error I've made was my decision to attempt to garner victory without using the navy. In that respect I have severely underestimated the strength and ability of Banks to utilise his naval forces to the utmost. I'm now having to attempt to correct my 'over confidence' and am having to invest heavily, particularly in river forces, to combat the blocks that Banks is creating so magnificently. I certainly tip my hat to him and its a tactic that many CSA players can learn from. :thumbsup:

Getting back to the subject.......

West Virginia

I had thought that I'd done with West Virginia sub headings but I should know my opponent by now....never a dull moment and never an orthodox move :coeurs:

As I alluded to Stonewall Jackson has reared his ugly head again and from the looks of it he's come tearing in from the West. How do I make that connection you might ask? Well its simple really and all down to what I've said time and again about really really reading those mailbox snippets. They do contain such a lot of valuable information.

First off I get that report 55/112 indicating that I've failed to engage him in Carter TN. Good job given that all I had in the area was a single cavalry regiment ;) Key of course is that he was in Tennessee.....miles away from where I had him pegged (near Raleigh, North Carolina)

Next of course I meet him at Pulaski, West Virginia....so obviously he's heading West to East down the rail lines but sadly Rousseau lets me down and decides to retreat even though the odds are far less that 2-1 in the Rebels favour.

Rousseau is brought to battle or perhaps decides to stand after all at Christiansburg....anyway the outcome is that Jackson is victorious, marches on after brushing Rousseau aside and now sits ominously at Salem capable of striking either North towards Grafton or East towards Charlottesville. With that fast mover trait that he has I'm not feeling comfortable at all even if his force is only some 12,000 (including supply wagons) strong.

To make matters worse ....just look JEB Stuart with his cavalry Corp has joined up with Jackson. Now that really does make me uneasy. That cavalry force is so fast. I really do have to try to limit the potential damage but more of that later.

Its a classic case of outflanking the outflanker :coeurs:

In much the same way as it was possible to trace Jacksons route from examining the Mailbox in detail the same is true for JEB Stuart. Now if I plot where his Corp was last time and tie in further reports I can pinpoint his probable movement path. Easy really if you look for it. ;)

Now this is the position in respect of the Eastern Theatre as at this moment in time. As you can see, other than Stonewalls force perched ominously in the Northwest Corner, just south of Covington the only other Confederate troops on the radar are those at Goldsboro. I presume that Longstreet and Lee are still in the vicinity but after the error of judgement I made in believing that Jackson was also in the area....who knows where they are :bonk: :bonk:

I've also spotted that at Wilmington .....would you just credit it....Banks has constructed another fort. What with Raleigh and Goldboro thats 6 supply wagons of 4 elements each and 12 artillery batteries its cost. Even if all the batteries were 6lbers thats still some heavy investment and confirms my view that he's certainly attempting to create a permanent barrier.

The good news in this theatre was that Crittendens attack on Fort Morgan went extremely smoothly. His Corp most certainly needs to rest for a month but after that....it only leaves Fort Macon to take and then my Billy Yanks will be in the rear of Berne and beyond the Neuss.

To plans then in the East for the end of May. Well certainly Banks' move with Stonewall has caused me to once more revise my plans. So whats new :)
I must stop Jackson dead in his tracks if I can. In some respects the blocking of Franklin and Hamiltons Corps by JEB Stuart at Campbell might turn out to be a real stroke of luck. That block stopped them from moving to Hillsboro where they would be well out of the way. As it is I can turn Hamilton back to Lynchburg whilst ordering Franklin to force march his Corp to the Millboro depot which I reckon will be a prime target for either Jackson or Stuart. If the force march is successful he should be there in 11 days.

Rousseau I'm ordering back to cover Grafton. His force has orders to attack any enemy encountered. If I'm right about Jackson moving North then Rousseau's troops may well have to give battle again. If that happens I am confident of being defeated......just as long as I can damage and slow Jackson down I'll live with it.

Wadsworth with a division, currently defending Lynchburg I've ordered to rush back to attempt to protect the Amherst depot should Stuarts cavalry Corp make a dash for it.

That only leaves the planned assault on Goldsboro. I've ordered Berry at Washington and McDowell at Warren forward. Combined thats some 70,000 and in excess of 400 cannon. I've also issued instructions for Grant to move to support them.

I'm not ordering the two Corps to assault the city or the fortress for reasons that I'll explain.

This is the information that I'm picking up about Confederate forces in and around Goldboro. As you can see outside of the city we have David Jones with three ragtag units whilst inside the citadel resides G Smith with a Corp of perhaps two divisions (given the power rating). Now if I go for an all out assault I suffer various penalties. Most significantly a level 2 fortress counts as level 8 entrenchments thus theres a big defensive bonus. On top of that I'll be penalised with restricted attack frontage...down to one division assaulting at a time........not good at all :( Then add in that I'll be attacking a Corp so if there are any other Corps lurking close by there is a possibility of the enemy marching to the guns and that I dont want. To begin with then I plan a conservative attack. If I can gain the region without too many losses I certainly have the heavy artillery in number with me to hopefully breach the fort in the next couple of turns. At least thats the theory :mdr:

Tennessee

Well at least this time my 'gut feeling' was right. Banks had evacuated Nashville and stripped Forts Henry and Donelson of all but the barest of garrisons.

Nashville fell without a shot being fired to Sumners force whilst Rosecrans troops quickly overpowered the defenders of the Forts.

All other moves in the region went roughly to plan. Sheridan managed to sidestep backwards to Memphis (at least he is across the Mississippi now). Little Mac advanced with his troops to Humboldt. Gibbons 22nd division wrested Gallatin from the Confederate grasp whilst Griersons cavalry captured Savannah. All in all a highly productive turn.

Before me, at Pulaski is Polks Corp and to the east of that Bragg with the Confederate Army of the Mississippi.

As you can see I intend to push on hard, as fast as I can. Unfortunately I'm unable to reach either of the two enemy forces on the current move but I can pressurise them (assuming of course that they do not retire)

My logic for attempting to press on fast in this theatre is down to my belief that other than what I see before me, until the next draft, I dont count on my opponent having many more forces available in the region. Why do I say that? Well Polk looks to have 4 divisions with him but none of them at full strength....perhaps what? 20,000 troops maximum. Bragg with the Army of the Mississippi seems to have a single brigade with him. At best say another 5,000.

Stonewall Jackson obviously ran from this theatre eastwards and I know took 12,000 with him because I met him. Later on you will see that I have Johnston on the radar and he has two divisions with him....maybe 14,000 troops. If I've called it right then add that little lot up and it amounts to around the 50,000 to 60,000 that I reckon is the maximum that the Rebels can muster at present in this Theatre. On that basis I press on. ;)

Mississippi

Its here that because of my decision not to invest in a navy that Banks has me hung out to dry like a smoked kipper for the time being. That stack of Confederate Ironclads I just cannot slip by.

I tried twice with dismal and predictable results. For the time being I'm unable to break my opponents grasp on the river. :(

I intend to attack again this turn with the two forces outlined below. I expect no better results but I must attempt to grind my opponents fleets down in preparation for when my new ships are launched.

The hope is to punch down to Vicksburg but in truth I do not think I currently have the units to succeed. In conjunction with the Mississippi move I've ordered Sheridan to transport down the Tallahatchie to secure Vicksburg. Sadly it will take his command more than 14 days so theres a real chance that Banks can retake the city as its only defended by emplaced artillery.

Not that Sheridans Corp has much meat to it in any case. Enough I hope to hold onto Vicksburg (if hes able to get there in time) until I can reinforce him.

Georgia

Well Milroy fell back from Atlanta as I'd planned. Johnston turned up with the Army of Tennessee and retook the city. Hmmm as he only had two divisions with him Milroy maybe could have held the position. Anyway whatever Atlanta is once more the capital of the confederacy. Milroys march back was blocked by the enemy so I'm turning his troops due south and attacking Columbus.

Milroy has decided he's had enough and gone inactive consequently I've detached Steeles 38th Division to lead the attack.

Florida

I've produced this picture more than anything to share with you my thinking a perhaps a bit of my mindset.

Hookers Corp moved as fast as their little legs would go. Obviously supplies are now getting seriously low (only enough for one more turn) thus getting them into supply is imperative. The easiest route is to cross to Grove Hill then over the Lower Alabama river to Conecuh. That would take some 10 days. Problem for me though is that it means crossing the Alabama and there are those 3 Confederate Ironclads in Mobile bay and river. Banks need only move one of those to perhaps prevent me crossing (marked in orange). If I don't make it back to safe territory then Hookers command starts to starve. I'm not prepared to take the risk.

I could attack Mobile with Hookers troops but they need to recover cohesion. That then is another possible move I reject. After mulling it all over I decide on the following.

Nathaniel Banks at Blakely is active and is ordered to conduct a seaborne assault on Fort Gaines. At the same time Joe Hooker is required to force march his troops, skirting Gardners defenses at Mobile and join with Nathaniel Banks.

As an aside I've often found that most players neglect the possibilities that using the forced march facility offers. I personally find it a very useful tool.

Even if Hookers forced march fails and he falls short of reaching Fort Gaines, providing Nathaniel Banks can carry the position it should open up a line of supply to Hookers Corp.

[SIZE="3"]TRANSMISSISSIPPI[/size]

Arkansas

Not much really to say about this theatre now. For what its worth Union troops recaptured Fort Smith and are now moving to better secure Little Rock. It has been many months since there has been any Rebel activiity in the area.

So to the dregs

Enconomy - Nil

Finances - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Replacements - 1 Elite Infantry 2 Line Infantry 1 Field Artillery

Reinforcements

Pennsylvania - 4 Cavalry regiments

New England - 4 Ocean Transports

NM for the Union 136 for the CSA 82

W.Barksdale
AGEod Grognard

Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:36 am

soundoff wrote: Most significantly a level 2 fortress counts as level 8 entrenchments thus theres a big defensive bonus.

I'm pretty sure level 8 entrenchments are far superior to the fort bonus. :p apy:
"Tell General Lee that if he wants a bridge of dead Yankees I can furnish him with one."

-General William Barksdale at Fredericksburg

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Jun 05, 2009 8:30 am

W.Barksdale wrote:I'm pretty sure level 8 entrenchments are far superior to the fort bonus. :p apy:

I tend to agree with you and its not an investment as the CSA that I'd make.....too expensive. OK they create choke points but given time those can be overcome. I suppose what I was really trying to hammer home was the fact that forts you build (level 2) are more powerful and harder to storm (all other things being equal) than the level 1 forts that are in place at game commencement and should be at least treated with respect. :thumbsup:

Return to “American Civil War AARs”