gchristie
Brigadier General

use of navy

Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:58 pm

Soundoff,

I was wondering why there wasn't mention of naval strategy, but I re-read the AAR from the beginning and saw that you wrote, "I'm much more comfortable with handling the navy side these days but remain uneasy as to its use within the game. I usually tend to limit myself to operating it for amphibious purposes only. I dont use it for 'blockading' mainly because my personal take is that the resource difference between the Union and the CSA is already wide enough."

As my pbem partner and I are negotiating house rules, I find this an interesting approach and will consider using it as the union player to balance game play. But I do find it amusing that an Englishman would forgo ruling the seas ;) .

My suggestion is that in addition to the tutorials, this dissertation by profs. Soundoff and Banks be assigned as required reading for players new and old. Many thanks for your excellent work here, and my hope is that this contest ends in a draw, as neither you nor Banks deserve to lose.

cobraII
Captain

Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:29 pm

Neither side deserves to lose however sooner or later with both of these good players there will be some maneuver that will allow one side to take advantage of the other
Quote General Lee Gettysburg movie,
"Do you see, General, there is the great trap, to be a good soldier you must love the army, to be a good commander you must be ready to order the death of the thing you love. We don't fear our death. But if this war goes on and on and the men die and the price gets ever high. We are prepared to lose some of us, but we are never prepared to lose all of us. We are adrift here in a sea of blood and I want it to end. I want this to be the final battle".

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:45 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late February 1862 result and Early March Orders[/size][/color]

Still no real evidence of winter easing. Surely conditions must turn soon. Mind you after the snow comes the mud :(

[SIZE="3"]EASTERN THEATRE[/size]

OK so what happened then? Starting with Virginia. To begin with Hamiltons force struggled through the snow to Culpeper closely followed by McDowells reluctant divisions. The rebel force in Culpeper decided that descretion was the better part of valour and retired in good order before we could bring them to battle. My commanders are now dithering as to what to do. Mr Lincoln exhorts one or the other to advance on the lightly defended Charlottesville but both have decided they need a rest - in plain simple terms they are inactive which is good as I'm not ready for that move just yet.

It does mean though that Bory has at least 40,000 now under his wing at Fredricksburg and its this coming turn that we are able to form Corps. Jackson will become a right thorn in my side from here on in.

As we are now able to form Corps you will note that Hamilton and McDowell have been promoted to Corp Commands as has Dix (with Nathaniel Banks at Aquia).

In West Virginia US Grants command reached and successfully assaulted Lynchburg. Most surprising and welcome was that he managed to capture the depot intact. That is a real bonus. After almost a month of marching through mountains in extreme weather conditions and then fighting a minor engagement at the end of it, his troops need rest. Whether they get it depends on Johnny Reb.

If you peruse the battle report you will see my immediate worry for his command....sufficient troops but severely lacking in artillery. Not good, not good at all.

There was one beautiful bonus as a result of the action. Grant is now promotable and should attain his 3rd star next time.

I've again produced details of the major forces in the theatre for information. For me the most important bit is the size of that confederate congregation at Fredericksburg with those wonderful commanders. Then I remind myself that RE Lee will shortly be activated. Hard to bear thinking about really. ;)

Ideally I'd like Grant to make the thrust shown in red on the next picture. It may be an obvious move but its the one I would really like to make. Its just not possible though. His command needs to recover.....both of the divisions with him are down to half their maximum cohesion level. Additionally its a 40 day march under exisiting conditions.

On the one hand I need to try to keep forcing the pace but on the other am inhibited by the snow. I also have, I suspect, another threat to contend with which I'll share with you in a minute or two.

Anyway my decision is to just leave a holding brigade at Covington whilst moving Morell and his division back to the depot at Millboro. That little move should take 11 days. At Millboro Sherman has been ordered to march to join Grant at Lynchburg......sadly 30 days. At Grafton I have two further divisions forming one under Pratt the other under A Smith. On the picture I'm showing Pratt moving to Millboro with 4,500. Thats wrong. His division remains at Grafton. Its Smiths 27th Division comprising of 5,500 effectives that has been ordered to move to Millboro. Again another eye watering 26 days to achieve.

If it all goes to plan that will give Grant 20,000 plus at Lynchburg with 15,000 at Millboro protecting his right flank. My fear and worry is that marching West to East from Kentucky is either AS Johnston or Bragg.

Now I may be wrong but thats the assumption I'm going to work on. Why? Simple really. AS Johnston has disappeared from my radar in Kentucky. After having had him strategically placed for that long in the region I can't believe that Banks is simply pulling him back. So my reading of the situation goes something like this.

I'm really pressurising Virginia and Richmond. I also dont think that Banks has too much more currently in the east that he can use to stiffen his defenses in the short term. He cant move Forney from the Penninsula as it would give Milroy free reign to march up the James.

He also has to keep McDowell, Hamilton and Dix in check. That will be difficult if he willingly gives up Charlottesville as it would provide me with the opportunity of joining my commands, so he must transfer part of Borys force to that location probably Jackson.

If I'm right then I further speculate that he must transfer forces from the West to counter Grant. I reckon he will have moved AS Johnston to Bowling Green and be moving Bragg east. Although it will weaken his Kentucky forces in the short term its not that dangerous a thing to do. He already has the major forts and crossings well defended. The weather is still bloody awful and with Little Mac in charge of the Union forces he can expect me to have to dither.

I've probably read the whole situation wrong but until I can track AS Johnston and Bragg down again its the assumption I'm going to operate on. Hence the need to secure Grants right flank.

[SIZE="3"]WESTERN THEATRE/TRANSMISSISSIPPI[/size]

Well so on to Kentucky/Tennessee

Polk at Columbus and Hindman at Fts Henry and Donelson remain in situ. As I've said ASJ with Stewarts and Floyds divisions has disappeared leaving just Zollicoffer with around 7,000. Either he's gone to Bowling Green allowing Braggs force of around 14,000 to move east (my favourite) or he's coming east himself.

Sadly I dont have one active commander in this theatre. Not a one. The best I can do is move Little Mac to Union KY. I'll put what pressure on as I am able. Thomas at Louisville with two divisions is ordered west to Evansville. My aim is to begin to muster in such a way as to enable my force at Cairo to swing west through Missouri to outflank the forward CSA positions at Paducah, Columbus, Island 10 etc.

[SIZE="3"]LOWER SEABOARD[/size]

Florida

Well would you look at that, at Talahassee a more than decent Rebel general - Edward Johnson. Good job I now have a significant force ashore. Woods has been ordered to take Saint Joseph and I'm rushing three brigades of cavalry to bolster Butler together with an additional infantry and artillery brigade.

To the odds and ends.

The General War Order 2 event fired - thats the one requiring me to keep 12 units adjacent to Washington for 2 months or suffer a -50VP hit.

New Generals, Davis, Sigel and two star Pope arrived.

The Old Guard Brigade was formed at Aquia and has been assimulated into Dix's Corp

We constructed a small ironworks at Clarksburg KY which will produce +4 war supplies per turn.

NM remains a stubborn 99 with CSA NM holding at 102

Foreign Intervention is -13

Economy - attempting to improve industry in Kentucky and West Virginia again. Investing in 35 extra Riverine Transport.

Replacements

2 Line Infantry
2 Field Artillery
2 Supply

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:24 pm

If I may I'd just like to say a word or two about the tactic of waiting (if you are the Union player) until you get overwhelming odds before attempting to advance in the East. No matter how this game between Banks and myself ends, if nothing else, I do so hope that I've been able to demonstrate that when you play the North there is no need what-so-ever to wait until you can overpower the enemy with ease. Indeed in this players humble opinion to do so makes the game very poor .....and that its not.....if its played in the right spirit its a very very good game.

OK so avoiding that NM hit as the North in 61 is virtually impossible but it is more than possible to advance without decent generals (other than Grant) in late 61 and early 62 After all you do have numbers on your side as the North.

That also brings me on to moving in winter. Yes it hurts. Yes you have to do it with caution. Yes you have to use belt and braces in terms of ensuring your troops are supplied...but its possible. So your troops take bad weather damage hits. In the move on Lynchburg this time for example Grants command took 70. Remember though if you are moving in adverse conditions your opponent has to stay outside of structures or risk being beseiged so takes damage from just sitting. Remember too that as the North you can afford to take the winter damage hits the CSA player cannot. :thumbsup:

Anyway enough said.....I'm beginning to preach. ;)

soloswolf
General of the Army

Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:17 am

soundoff wrote: -snip- Remember though if you are moving in adverse conditions your opponent has to stay outside of structures or risk being beseiged so takes damage from just sitting. -snip-

I totally agree with your post, except for the above... You will take no damage if you are in a region with a structure. A City, Fort, Harbor and Depot will all keep you safe. You do not need to be inside to benefit from this. Just being in the region keeps you solid.
My name is Aaron.

Knight of New Hampshire

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Feb 27, 2009 8:37 am

You are quite correct Soloswolf.....that will teach me to post and then not review what I've written. It does lead me to make silly mistakes such as the one you've pointed out. Much like why I always review my move at least twice before submitting it to Banks. Even then I still make daft errors :coeurs:

Many thanks for making the correction. Much appreciated :thumbsup:

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:40 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early March 62 result and Late March Orders[/size][/color]

This turn has really had me thinking hard. What the heck to do. I've mulled more than one or two ideas and have finally reached decisions.

So here goes. Starting with the Virginias both East and West. To follow my drift properly I believe you will need to peruse the first 4 pictures as an entirety.

The first shows the end of move position. The key elements being the appearance of JEB Stuart at Fredricksburg. Johnston at Montgomery and most worrying Robert E at Albermarle. Now athough it cost me a cavalry regiment I was lucky in that there just happened to be a skirmish at Albermarle between my lone cavalry regiment and the whole of Lee's Army of North Virginia. It is'nt that Lee has turned up a little early that worries me (to an extent I was expecting it to happen as I've being doing relatively well in this neck of the woods). Its the size of that rebel army that is frightening the life out of me. And look how its grown. I was so sure that Banks would slide one of those CSA Corps to Charlottesville but instead he's gone and plonked the whole down in a semi sort of no-mans land. What the heck is that about I ask myself? Is he hoping/expecting me to move Hamilton and McDowell thus giving him an easy run through Culpeper to Manassas and beyond? Is he intending to strike North East at Nathanial Banks at Aquia? If so why move in the first instance as he still has to cross the Rappahannock? Why has he left Fredricksburg defended only by Stuart's division? Is he hoping to tempt me forward? Questions, questions and not one answer. What is a fact is that I cannot afford to give that force an easy run at Washington, particularly as I see that Stonewall is now a Corp commander. That fast mover trait of his is a potential killer. Whatever you are up to my more than worthy opponent for the time being my Eastern Virginian forces are going to remain in situ. Whatever extra forces I can muster (and that will be limited) will be channelled into this area.

I have Berry with a single division at Washington and Whipple with an embryonic division at Harpers Ferry both have been ordered to Manassas and Aquia. Its not much extra but its all I dare commit.

The situation has been made that much worse because of the darned weather. Hamilton took a 48 damage hit and McDowell 29 and whilst at last the snow seems to be slowly going we now have the flippin' mud to contend with. :(

Even though it would be very risky I really would love to send Grant head down for Richmond. I cannot see how Banks can have much in reserve to stop such a move at present. Just look though at what that mud does to my movement. I can't get anywhere near without telegraphing my intentions. Grants command would be chopped to pieces if I tried it. In West Virginia I have 5 divisions (2 under Grant, 1 under Sherman, 1 under Franklin at Millboro shortly to be reinforced with another) Yet those 5 divisions are not exerting one iota of pressure. Thats not good at all.

Grant has his 3rd star (but I need another victory with him to get his seniority to such a level as I can give him an army command without incuring penalties.) I would also like to be able to recruit sufficient extra troops to give Sherman a division. Weather losses have been such that I'm barely able to raise any new units. To leave Grant just sitting in Lynchburg for another turn would be just plain daft. That would mean him sitting on his butt for a complete month. Even then I'd be having to keep my fingers crossed that the weather improved dramatically to enable him to move. No I can't or should I say won't wait any longer. He's stuck in nomans land at present. My orders are for Grant to retire from Lynchburg. Sherman should be able to join with him. If the weather eases and if my level of cohesion next time is OK then I'll consider striking at Johnston with Grants command.

I'm still not seeing anything of either Bragg or AS Johnston so have no idea whether one or the other of them is heading east. I'm going to continue to operate on the basis that they are.

My summing up of the size of the Rebel forces I can see in Virginia is produced below.

Florida

Well what a pigs ear, a dogs dinner, a right two and eight, I've made of this little expedition :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: I really do want taking outside and putting out of my misery. If nothing else it just goes to show that you should never make opportunistic moves. Virtually always they will turn sour on you.

Currently I'm stuck up the proverbial creek without a paddle.....almost without a canoe. My depot has come on line but it has not attracted any supplies. I have sufficient cover in the Shipping box but not one unit of supply has reached me.

I've taken Saint Joseph so I have another route to the sea - I hope it helps. Luckily I captured sufficient supply for Woods command for a further two turns. Butlers command though can only feed itself for the forthcoming move. I dare not make any offensive overtures in the region without knowing that supplies will reach me. The aim still remains to cut off Florida and if I can mount a beautiful thrust North via Columbus and on to Chattanooga. For me to have any chance of making it happen I must be able to feed and provision my troops. Currently I cannot.

It would be disasterous to have my troops starve because of my stupidity. So Butler is to rejoin the transports - that way his troops will be fed. Woods has orders to hold the beachhead. I have to hope that supplies arrive next time. If they do I might just might be able to put the plan back into action. If I have another turn though with supplies failing to get through then I will have little option but to withdraw Woods as well. If that happens its either on to Ft Pickens or back to Washington and the whole episode will have been a fiasco.

[SIZE="3"]WESTERN THEATRE[/size]

Finally on to Kentucky/Tennessee

Still no sign of AS Johnston and now Polks gone and disappeared. Only one thing for it and thats to try to make something happen (without being too rash)

At Paducah the rebel commander Forrest has only a weak division. Foster and his Corp at Cairo has been ordered to give battle. As I'm slightly concerned that Polk may head North towards my weakly held St Louis I've given Hayes and his division orders to move from Cairo to protect that city.

Little Mac with the Army of Tennessee and Popes Corp is instructed to move west to cover both Cario and Paducah, whilst Thomas's Corp is to complete its move to Evansville where he is to dig in.

I think from the information below that with these forces I can match whatever Banks has in the vicinity. I do hope so anyway. ;)

To the usual odds and ends.

Economy. I continue to invest in minimal industrialisation of Kentucky and West Virginia. It was quite fruitful this time. +10 Ammo in Charleston WV +6 Ammo in Parkersburg WV +25 General Supplies and +6 Ammo in Louisville KY.

Replacements - 3 Line Infantry

Reinforcements

Pensylvannia

1 x 2 Infantry and 1 Sharpshooter Brigade

New Generals arriving

Franklin and Curtiss

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:22 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late March 62 result Early April orders[/size][/color]

I'm no longer sure whether things are going well or badly. The weather really has played havoc with my plans......just as it should. President Lincoln is beside himself with the lack of offensive action. All of his commanders, including Grant, seem beset with problems. Ah well lets hope that spring brings better results.

Virginia both East and West

Well Grant never made it to Montgomery VA to link up with Sherman. The weather delayed him to such an extent that he's still 3 days away. So much for joining with Sherman, recovering cohesion and perhaps assaulting Johnston this time around as I'd hoped. To add insult to injury Sherman, just in staying put took 42 weather damage. Am I suffering or what?

Mind you I was surprised to see Granny Lee back at Fredricksburg with the rest of the Confederate Army. Talk about me not knowing what I'm doing....I reckon Banks has caught my disease. Cannot complain though if its a wasted CSA move...starts to make up (if only slightly) for the wasted moves I've made.

Time for me to be bold, brave and totally daft methinks :thumbsup: Now given the position as shown would you do this, or maybe something more conservative or maybe something rasher still? Anyway time will be the judge.

I cannot ignore the threat of Granny and his wonderful commanders but Culpeper is now less of an important area to control (at least for the time being.) Evidently Banks intends to keep his key commands close. McDowell is inactive so its back to Manassas for him. I intend, as far as its possible to guard and deny the road to Washington.

Hamilton however is active so its an entirely risky march for him straight past Charlottesville (no red assault) and on to Johnstons defenses in Roanoake. It should take him 10 days to arrive...provided he marches on time. How I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Banks continues not to move to Charlottesville in force. By using the railways he could reach there and force Hamilton into an early battle. Its a gamble I'm taking.

Simultaneously Franklin has been ordered to march from Millboro and assault Johnstons positions. It should take him 12 days to arrive. If Hamilton fails (as he might) I'm hoping that Franklin will carry the day.

Whilst all of this is going on Kearny is instructed to advance and assault Charlotteville. His force has an evasion rating of 19 so hopefully his command will not be brought to battle prior to him reaching Charlottesville. If he then carries the town, and assuming all goes well and I'm victorious over Johnston at Roanoake I should be able to deny the CSA forces the opportunity of retreating to Charlotteville and force them towards Richmond.

Its all that darned evasion and ZoC entering the equation again. Its useful, if you can, to use ZoC to shepherd the opposition to where you would like them to be (assuming you cant destroy them). Well all of this is the aim but it does rely on Banks allowing it. :thumbsup:

In an attempt to disrupt every enemy rail route that I can I've ordered all free cavalry units forward. So the 2nd Pennsylvania Cavalry at Aquia is instructed to hit the railway at Louisa VA. The 3rd Pennsylvania 'Youngs Lt Cav' is required to mount an assault on the Burkville intersections. The 2nd New York Mounted Rifles has orders to try to reach Franklin and destroy the railheads in that region and the 2nd US Cavalry at Roanoke is to cut the rails at Roanoake and then move to Alvermarle. Its frantic and dangerous but what the heck I SHOULD be attacking.

Another tip .... if I'm attacking then my opponent has to be on the back foot and reacting to my moves....much better than me having to react to his.

[SIZE="3"]
LOWER SEABOARD[/size]

Florida

Well to my absolute dismay no supplies got through again. I have no idea why. I should have more than enough transports in the Shipping box. I'm attempting to reinforce just incase but I have so little time. Butler has embarked and so is ordered to move to Ft Pickens. I hate doing this but cannot afford to waste further time. Woods still has two turns more of supplies so I'm leaving him in place and keeping fingers crossed. If I receive no supplies next time then he will have to vacate Florida. Talk about the best laid plans of mice and men oft gan astray.

As you can see I now have cavalry available but unless I can get supply to this bridgehead its a total waste of time having landed them.

Tennessee/Kentucky

Well AS Johnston is back with Polk and Forney in tow as Corp commanders. I wonder where he has been....not where I expected him to be thats for sure. From his location I must presume that Bragg is still sitting at Bowling Green ....thus my fear of Confederate troops rushing from West to East is completely unfounded. Ah well I lost nothing in assuming that they were. :coeurs:

What it does mean though is that I am happier with my previous moves in this region than I supposed I might be. Halleck/Buell hold Louisville quite happily I think with 14,000 effectives. Thomas having replaced Little Macs divisions at Evansville sits comfortably across the Ohio digging in. I might be living in a dreamworld but currently in this area I feel quite secure (at least for the current turn) :mdr:

Well my move against Paducah went sweetly.......like a nut. The rebels decided to retire in good order leaving just the militia garrison to be easily overwhelmed. Foster is still active so is ordered to advance again against Columbus. With the Army of the Tennessee out of position I might have stolen a march on Banks in this theatre though I'm not going to get overconfident. Little Mac and Pope will move to replace Foster at Paducah. If all goes well I will have 5 divisions threatening Tennessee.

I do so hope it goes well, in truth for no other reason than to disprove that the only sensible thing is to confine Little Mac to Buffalo or some such out of the way place.

The next picture brings the whole of the Tennessee and Kentucky region into stark relief

If my plan works I'll be swinging a sizeable right hook at my opponents defenses and one he will have to counter. It will not be decisive but it will give him further cause for concern......at least thats the intention.

[SIZE="3"]TRANSMISSISSIPPI[/size]

Missouri

Well my fear about where Polk was heading was quite wide of the mark.....just goes to show .....you need eyes and ears....keep those cavalry to the fore :w00t:

Anyway it enables me to release Haye's command (now under the wing of Negley) against Rolla.

As I've said before this theatre is really a backwater but any captures are worth taking if they cost nowt.

Once again we come to the dregs.

Economy

Minor industrialisation of Kentucky and West Virginia again went well. In Elizabeth WV we gained 25 general supplies. In Lexington KY +4 war supplies and in Prestonburg KY +16 general supplies.

This time we have stopped attempted to industrialise.

Drafts - Nil

Finances - Nil

Replacements - 2 Infantry

Reinforcements

Maryland

2 x 12lb Artillery Batteries

Pennsylania

1 x 2 Infantry 1 x 6Lb Artillery and 1 Cavalry Brigade

Mid Atlantic

2 Transports

As an aside I shall be more than glad when its time for the next drafts to appear. Moving in winter....whilst it keeps everyone on their toes is crippling and I need new divisions to exploit any advantage I may have gained. They cannot arrive soon enough.

Major Tom
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:27 pm

Soundoff -

This excellent AAR continues to be both entertaining and informative. You and Banks are both doping a great job of reporting your movements and strategies.
Sic Semper Tyrannis

jokeon
Corporal

How many companies

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:32 pm

I wonder how many companies you are getting each turn? I think you will probably be out producing the Rebs.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:35 pm

[color="red"][SIZE="6"]Early April 62 result and Late April orders[/size][/color]

Now this has turned out to be a mighty interesting move. Things are certainly touch and go in more than one theatre. So jumping in at the deep end lets start by looking at the worst, or should I say the current worst :( as things may not get better.

Penninsula

If I'm absolutely honest this was the move I feared, yet dare not talk about lest in discussing it I caused it to happen. Lee with a swift march into the Penninsula to kick the hell out of Milroy and his two divisions. The Union defenses assaulted in strength and with fury. 50,000 rebel troops. My poor ol' boys of the 5th division turned tail and ran well before the first shot had been fired. I was sorely glad of Hookers division. At least that had the steel in its back to try to attempt to stem the CSA advance. Of course the defenses were overwhelmed. Its whether or not I can save Milroys command.

As you can see the reality was that with odds in excess of 4 to 1 there never was any chance of Milroy holding. Sadly with the battle occuring at the end of the turn his forces have had little opportunity to retire in good order to Ft Monroe. I must assume that the CSA will follow up the assault so have ordered his force (assuming it reaches Ft Monroe without too much additional mishap) to evacuate the penninsula immediately. If I can draw any comfort at all from the result its that at least Robert E will need one move to return to Richmond.

So to East and West Virginia

The first thing that struck me here is Hugers move to retake Lynchburg on the same turn that Grant reached Montgomery. Now given Grants size of command compared to Hugers (after all he only has one division with him) my adversary would only have known Grant was attempting to vacate Lynchburg if he were using the replay facility (which I dont have access to). I'm not that concerned that Banks has an edge that I do not but it is nice to know that he's using it. At least its easier for me to plan on the assumption that he knows what I'm doing on a lot of occasions. :thumbsup:

I sure need to play even more tentatively than I have to date. So my planned moves are as follows. Whipple with three divisions at Manassas (and my only active commander other than Grant) is ordered to take Fredricksburg. Dix has instructions to move to his assistance. If all goes well I should have two Corps comprising of 45,000 effectives at Fredricksburg next move. Thats provided of course that Johnston does not move to intercept or Lee returns quicker than I anticipate. It will take Whipple and Dix the full turn to make the move.

Next Hamilton and Franklin (both inactive) have been given orders to advance cautiously to Amherst. If that moves happens that will be another two Corps operating together with 36,000 effectives.

Grant and his 24,000 have orders to move to Roanoake. Now with Grant I'd ideally love to give one of his divisions over to Sherman who commands not one man but it would totally go against the grain to do so. In similar fashion I could move that Army HQ at Washington to Grant and make him an army commander.....that really would give Banks a problem. Again though its not in me. Grant is not my most senior 3 star. So the HQ will remain unallocated until such time as I can legitimately promote him.

If, and its a big if, all goes well I should have five Corps each capable of putting up stiff resistance even without MTG.

As for the cavalry regiments you see, their orders are simple. Destroy as much rail as you can to slow down enemy movement.

Tennessee

Foster carried Columbus. It took two battles but his troops (whilst down on cohesion) are not as shot as they might have been given they have had a months continual marching. Little Mac with Pope occupied Paducah in the wake of Fosters advance.

I need to rest Foster now. Worryingly AS Johnston has moved to Paris. He is in position to counter attack Foster. I could move Pope to Columbus but that would mean leaving Paducah and Cairo totally exposed. So Foster will have to stand on his own. If he only has AS Johnston with Forney's Corp to contend with he might.....just might hold. If however Banks has significant other confederate forces to bring to the battle then I expect Foster to be thrown back. (Thats assuming that my adversary attacks Foster ;) )

With one eye on AS Johnston I was sorely tempted with Thomas's Corp at Evansville to march on Bowling Green but I reckon that would not be a good idea. It takes his divisions away from the fighting area. No, I'm not going to do the obvious. Thomas advances to Trigg. At least that way it is possible to move him either west to Paducah/Cairo or east to Bowling Green. It really does not lose me that much time.

The results of Fosters skirmishes with the enemy. At least its 2,000 rebel casualties to my 600. Kinda makes up for defeat later in the turn at Hampton on the Penninsula.

Missouri

Little at all of note. Hayes took Rolla, which as expected was undefended. I do not intend to advance with him further at this stage.

Florida

Here my worst fears have proved founded. No supplies being received. I must therefore evacuate. Woods and his command are ordered to embark on transports waiting at the coast. Planned reinforcements are being diverted to Ft Pickens. I really am loathe to make this move but have no choice. I was going to fire the depot this turn....but on the totally daft off chance that supplies might get through I'm leaving one lone cavalry regiment to attempt to defend. If supplies are not received in Early May the regiment will wither and die.

To the odds and ends.

NM for the Union remains at 99 Its still a stubborn 102 for the CSA. Those numbers will change (the wrong way) though once the Rebels take Ft Monroe.

Foreign Intervention - stands at minus 5. Very respectable

Drafts - Nil

Economy - Nil

Finances - Nil

Replacements

3 Infantry
1 Light Artillery

Reinforcements

Pennsylvania

1 x 2 Infantry Brigade

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:09 am

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late April 62 result and Early May orders[/size][/color]

A bit like the curates egg this time. Some you win, some you lose and some did not turn out anywhere near like expected. :thumbsup:

President Lincoln is far from pleased. Its not so much that the war is going badly its simply that with the exception of three of his senior figures - in the east Grant and Hamilton and at Ft Pickens, Butler, the whole of the Union high command throughout the continent have decided to rest on their laurels for at least a turn. Talk about the trials and tribulations of trying to lead this motley crew. :( It sure presents headaches and infuriates the heck out of me at times but its grrrrrreat. ;)

Penninsula.

Somewhat to be expected Robert E did not let Milroys command retire in good order. In fact he kicked its posterior from here to kingdom come. A further battle and a disasterous retreat with 148 hits. My how poor old Hookers and Mile's divisions are decimated. The remanents are locked up in Ft Monroe (having failed to board transports) I suppose they were just too shellshocked. The fleet guards the waters but should the rebels find a way across I'll be having to erect a permanent monument to their memory. All I can do is keep my fingers crossed. The interesting point is I'm not showing a single enemy unit at Hampton - strange?

There were two saving graces, even though the outcome was humiliating. Firstly all of Lee's troops seem to have been involved. I'm aware that the battle reports can be somewhat misleading at times but if they were then thats hopefully a tad more cohesion loss for them. The second, and in some ways more miraculous event was that so far I've lost not a single element. Given the scale of the battle losses and retreat hits that really is amazing and something of a first for me at least. :) Of course, as I've said above, if Milroy gets hit again then they all die. :(

East and West Virginia

The picture gets more confused with each passing turn. Hopefully it will begin to sort itself out soon. Whipples attempted assault on Fredricksburg failed. His path was blocked at Culpeper by JEB Stuart with a larger cavalry force than I anticipated. Stuart surprisingly did not automatically retreat. Though we carried the day Whipple felt enough was enough so decided to rest his troops.......grrr Union commanders. This meant that with the CSA retiring to Fredricksburg that Dix who was supposed to move from Aquia to join Whipple took it into his head to stay put.

This seems to be the overall situation. With Lee's army having disappeared for the time being I strongly suspect that what happened was that he took the opportunity of attacking Milroy in the Penninsula again as both forces were locked in the same region but then immediately turned around and is headed back North West. If I'm right I'm a wee bit lucky that Mud covers virtually all of his route to Richmond and beyond so that will slow him down.

I would not be surprised to see his forces turn up at Burkville, Richmond or Fredricksburg or any combination. I dont think he will try a steamroller attack on any of my Corp positions in the theatre - that would be very risky. Union forward cavalry marauding over Virginia have orders to cut rail where ever they can then fall back to the Corps.

With all Corp commanders inactive (Grant and Hamilton excepted) it would be rash of me to attempt to advance further forward. All commands are down on cohesion. Supplies are no real issue but achieving full strength is. Whilst numerically I'm superior the stats of those Confederate generals and the bonuses they provide when set against my own cut into a lot of that superiority. Add into the mix that if I advance when I'm inactive and I'm brought to battle theres those horrendous penalties to incur. So it would not be a wise decision.

My decision basically to remain in situ is aided by a significant portion of the terrain being cloaked in MUD All of the area indicated is bogged down. Luckily for me I already occupy it so if I do stand still and the Rebels attack its for them to struggle with the conditions, not me.

My movement therefore is limited to the following. My 6th Corp at Manassas led by McDowell ordered to reinforce Dix. Grants divisions are to join Franklin and Hamilton at Amherst. I'm hoping that 3 Corps at Amherst, assuming the move happens will really give Banks cause to scratch his head. Particularly if he thinks that Grant might become an Army commander and take Franklin and Hamilton under his wing.

Finally in this area the Confederates took the opportunity of me moving Grant further east to have a stab at Covington in WV. It nearly paid off for them. Bushrod Johnston assaulted the town. I was extremely fortunate that the garrison held at least for one turn. I suspect it will fall in early May. I hope though that my adversary is dismayed to find that unless he reinforces Johnston he's unlikely to make any headway if his intention was the Millboro depot (Pratt is in residence with a divsion of 6000) - as you will have noticed by now I do tend to defend in depth when I can. Not for me a single front line. I have another division building at Grafton as well (thats earmarked for Sherman). Talk about belt and braces. ;)

Florida

No supplies once more :( At least none to speak off BUT and its a big BUT

Woods forces embarked as ordered and now ride easily on the transports offshore for the current move. I perhaps foolishly intend to leave them their for the following reason. The cavalry unit guarding the depot did receive supplies....its back up to maximum. How or why I have no idea. Maybe a smuggler managed to steer a course to some secluded cove and took pity on them. Maybe they went fishing and made a decent catch. I have no idea. The depot is still unstocked yet that lone cavalry regiment is at full supply.

Could it be....could it just be though that supplies might be starting to trickle in? I'll give it another turn before sailing Woods away. After putting this much effort in I feel obliged. :coeurs:

Further down the coast at Ft Pickens well Butlers troops are very contented. Full supplies and provisions. Even the old boy himself is happy and raring for a spat - so its an attempted amphibious landing at Milton for him. I bet my opponent is really scratching his head over these amphibious moves of mine. If it were the other way and I were in Banks' shoes I'd be suspecting that the Union player had lost his marbles. Who knows, maybe he has :D

Tennessee

This was about as good as I dared to hope. One unexpected result was a rebel fleet tried to bypass my positions on the Confluent with predictable results. I'm not sure what Banks' intentions were. I cannot crow overly though about the victory as the enemy fleet contained transports captured due to my stupidity in 61.

My summing up of the expected Confederate reaction to me having taken Columbus appeared to have been spot on. AS Johnston did assault Foster. Also as I thought Fosters troops had regained sufficient cohesion and initative to withstand the attack. The result was most pleasing. I count myself fortunate though that ASJ's force was not as strong as I'd previously been tracking it as.

With all commanders in this theatre inactive I have no opportunity of following up the victory. How I'd have liked Little Mac and Pope at Paducah to have pushed ASJ again. So planned moves are as follows. Everyone stays as they are with the exception of Thomas's Corp which is now ordered further West. I plan for him to strengthen the push into Tennessee. I might be able to achieve that breakthough into the nether regions without having to swing that right hook through Missouri as at the beginning of the year I thought I would have to.

Rosecrans has reported to Cairo so he has been given sealed orders by the President to move to Columbus to assist Foster.

I'm not showing Kentucky but here my plans are as follows. With Thomas's proposed move I'm rather weak in the centre. I can repel rebel raids but should the CSA advance in force to take real advantage of my weakness I'd be hard pressed. Mind you that would mean them exposing themselves to me cutting their lines of supply. My intention is to move Halleck (another inactive) with a full division of 8,000 from Louisville towards Bowling Green. I have a suspicion that Bowling Green could well be only lightly defended now. I'm sending cavalry in advance to scout. Buell with his division is ordered to continue to hold Louisville.

Well good people thats about it for another turn.

In Missouri absolutely nothing to report.

NM for me remains at 99 but the CSA has advanced to the magic 105 I will have to try to reduce that soon.

Foreign Intervention still at -5

Economy - Nil

Finances - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Reinforcements - Nil

Replacements

4 Infantry, 3 Light Artillery, 4 Field Artillery

Oh and just for your information when it comes to Division commanders my policy goes as follows. If I make someone a Division commander then the only time I might relieve them of command is if I receive a message saying that they have been blamed for a battle loss. I'm not into reallocating commanders just because someone with better stats turns up. After all in reality thats just playing the game with the hindsight of history. I never expect other players to follow me but its something I like to do. Its why for example, even with his very tasty stats Sherman does not have a command at present. I do not have any spare brigades coming on stream yet to make a division for him. That will only occur when the next drafts are called. Yes of course I could strip and existing 3-1-1 commander of his division and reassign it to Sherman but none of my existing Divisional commanders have performed badly to date. That policy of mine goes right up the chain. I do sometimes transfer whole divisions between Corps, and Corps between armies depending on the situation but try to maintain the integrity of my Army, Corp and Division commands at all times.......just put it down to the peculiarity of this Brit :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

[

Vegetius
General

Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:42 am

A real clash of giants to come around Richmond ! End of the game is probably near now.

You were really lucky that Milroy succeded to escape without loosing a single regiment, a loss of 7-10 NM for you would have been the price of a following battle.

A pity (for the game ;) !) that your opponent has to move Lee to defend his capitol. By attacking Fort Monroe, he could have secured his east front in Virginia and took a lot of victory and moral points.

Great AAR, very instructive :coeurs: .
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

xpyre
Private

Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:55 pm

Vegetius

It is not really for me to say but try not to comment on what you know is happening that the players do not.

I started a discussion thread so that those of us watching can chat without giving things away.

But it is really great to watch at the moment :thumbsup:
Thanks again for the effort Soundoff.
:coeurs:

X

Vegetius
General

Thu Mar 05, 2009 2:31 pm

You are right XPYRE, sorry for the comment :( , even if it was more my vision of the game.

I don't know much about the position of Lee at the moment but it seems logical to me that Johnston would not be able to stop all the Union Corps in Virginia by his own :) !
Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:24 pm

Hi Vegetius,

xpyre is quite right. It would be sad if something was given away that I'm not privvy too. As it happens in this instance there is no harm done as I always submit my move prior to posting the AAR.....but the word of caution is timely.

Mind you I am very pleased that you and others find our efforts worthwhile, please do keep on looking in and encouraging the pair of us. :coeurs:

And here's a thought for you. I think my opponent is far from dead in the water. In fact I reckon that if I fail to keep on my toes he could beat me. You know what forces I have at my disposal in Virginia. Its around 130,000 tops.

Robert E Lee's army musters some 55,000 that I'm certain of. Johnstons is 3 divisions strong so I make that anywhere between 15 and 22,000 (lets say 18,000). Then Magruder has a division in the Penninsula and Huger another one near Lynchburg (or it was) so thats another 15,000. Add that little lot up and I reckon Banks can field close on 100,000. If I'm right then the total odds are far less than 2:1 with the rebels defending home territory. Add into that mix the bonuses the CSA commanders get and I'll happliy speculate that I've not a cat in hells chance of taking Richmond in the short term unless he makes a catastrophic error of judgement.

If I were playing against the AI my assessment might be totally different. Trouble is I'm not. I'm playing against a very wiley and experienced adversary who will attempt to make me shed Union blood for every inch of Confederate territory I tread upon. ;)

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:51 pm

And to those watching now what would you do if you were me? What if Butler is successful? What if supplies do start to get to Florida with Woods still sitting off the coast....what if I'm able to consolidate in the Transmississippi? What if in the east my efforts to strengthen positions happen?.....what would you then do...and what do you reckon I will actually do? Particularly given that I cannot do everything much as I'd like. What should be the priorities? What should I concede?

I do so hope that Banks and I are retaining your interest and grateful thanks to xpyre. :thumbsup:

ncuman
Corporal

Fri Mar 06, 2009 3:23 am

soundoff wrote:And to those watching now what would you do if you were me? What if Butler is successful? What if supplies do start to get to Florida with Woods still sitting off the coast....what if I'm able to consolidate in the Transmississippi? What if in the east my efforts to strengthen positions happen?.....what would you then do...and what do you reckon I will actually do? Particularly given that I cannot do everything much as I'd like. What should be the priorities? What should I concede?

I do so hope that Banks and I are retaining your interest and grateful thanks to xpyre. :thumbsup:

Well Soundoff, it would hard for me to give you much strategic advice seeing as Banks is doing a really good job showing the positioning of his troops along with troop numbers. It would be like giving someone advice in poker when you know what everybody has. Maybe I could point out the obvious that Mobile, AL looks like a tempting target if Gen. Banks can be reinforced with Wood's Division.

One thing that I have noticed both when you play Banks and earlier when you played Barksdale is how you seem to underuse 'Fighting Joe' Hooker. What I mean is, Hooker is a very good Corp Commander, especially as far as Union generals go. And given Hooker's high seniority, he usually only needs to be congratulated once from a battle in order to earn that second star. So I guess what I am saying is that if I were you I would figure out a way to set up Hooker for success so that he can earn his second star.

orca
Lieutenant

Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:42 am

I've found these AAR's to be very compelling. This really is great stuff.

soundoff wrote:And to those watching now what would you do if you were me? What if Butler is successful? What if supplies do start to get to Florida with Woods still sitting off the coast....what if I'm able to consolidate in the Transmississippi? What if in the east my efforts to strengthen positions happen?.....what would you then do...and what do you reckon I will actually do? Particularly given that I cannot do everything much as I'd like. What should be the priorities? What should I concede?

The question I would have is why you are bothering with Florida at all. I guess it's not worth enough that you can expect that Banks won't pull out all the stops to fight for it. However, I would have thought you'd be better off using amphibious forces to hit a reasonably high value target at a time when it would be difficult for your opponent to pull forces from elsewhere to counter. Even if the invasion is crushed you can make big gains elsewhere and force him to make difficult choices.

Other than that I've been reading Banks' AAR so won't comment much on what I think you should be doing.

jokeon
Corporal

Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:36 am

I notice from reading other AAR's that most Union players attack New Orleans. However, all my experience is of playing the AI.
Great AAR the two of you make the game very interesting by sharing all your thoughts and plans.

biggp07
Corporal

Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:58 pm

Soundoff - I'll just say the same thing I did in Banks AAR thread. "The bold decisions are the ones that determine true greatness and make the difference in winning or loss! So I am watching with great anticipation!" :thumbsup:

Either way this is an incredible AAR! Stay with it

Jim-NC

Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:40 pm

As you are the Union, you need to attack, ergo you need more troops (by your own admission, you want at least a 2:1 ratio), and from you posts, you do not believe you are near that level of troops in the Kentucky/Mississippi area. I can't comment further on specific strategies (I have read the other sides posts, and might give something away).

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:27 am

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early May 62 result and Late May orders[/size][/color]

Well good people another relatively quiet turn although there was ONE signficant encounter which I'll address later.

Before I get well into the report though just a couple of observations in response to the last few posts. Firstly my own what would you do post? was meant (and I'm glad to say taken) rhetorically. I just thought it might stimulate debate on the open thread thats running alongside Banks and my AAR's.

Now I have reached a couple of critical decisions. One of them related to ncumans comment that he'd noticed that I did not seem to play Joe Hooker as well as I might. That got me thinking. I finally had to concede he was right but I'd go further....I reckon that goes across all half decent Union commanders. It probably has something to do with my reluctance to change divisional commanders once installed. Anyhow its certainly something I need to address.

Secondly I've had to revisit my own house rule not to promote out of sequence. Against someone of my opponents calibre I simply cannot sustain it. Far far too many Union commanders constantly inactive that I'm continually throwing away any chance of initative.

Finally as orca said 'What the hell am I doing in Florida anyway?' or something very like it......more of that later :D

Virginia East and West

To begin with Robert E Lee with Jackson and Longstreets Corps duely arrived in Louisa. About where I'd expect them to turn up. I've lost sight of Johnston. I presume he's now entrenching in Richmond. Well thats my guess anyway.

Out of 6 sizable Corps or equivalents, Grant, Hamilton, Franklin, Whipple, Dix and McDowell I have just two thats active Grant and Whipple. I simply cannot afford to go on like this. Not against Banks. Hence the decision to promote out of sequence. I've moved my spare Army command to Grant and am forming the North Eastern Virginian Army. Hamilton and Franklin have been detached from Nathaniel Banks army and have been placed under the direct command of US Grant. Its going to cost me NM - that I'll have to live with. :(

I've informed my opponent by e-mail of the forthcoming move and Grant will not move....not that he would have done anyway. Just look at the low cohesion of his divisions. At least now though I have a command to set against Lee with some sort of equality.

Sherman who as you know has been with Grant from some time now has been detached and has sealed orders to proceed to Grafton post haste where he is to form a new division to operate independantly. (its my first move in attempting to redress the commander imbalance)

I've ordered Whipple to cautiously advance to Albermarle and instructed Franklin to join him. I dont think the Rebels will advance further. The only other item to report is that I'm constructing a depot for Grant at his current forward location.

In West Virginia much to my surprise Bushrod Johnston did not press home the attack on Covington. I guess he was inactive. Instead he moved to Lexington with I'd reckon the intention of straddling the supply line from Millboro to Grants army.

Where Huger might go is a potential worry, not serious at this stage but I'd be anxious if he started to move North West towards Millboro.

Penninsula

For the CSA Magruder now occupies Hampton and Milroy and his forces are holed up in Ft Monroe. He received a trickle of reinforcements but the effective strength is only 5,000 and thats for what should be two complete divisions. Joe Hooker has been ordered to transfer to Ft Pickens where he is to gather an independant command (my second move in respect of divisional commanders). I cannot strip a division from Milroy so am moving Ord, who has reported for duty at Washington, by fast transport, to Ft Monroe assume command of Hookers division.

Florida

At last supplies have begun to arrive. Not much and only ammunition but its a start. Trouble is....far too late. In addition I cannot support two amphibious landings at this time. Indeed I can barely afford one. So I'm abandoning Florida (ah well the sunshine was nice). Woods is ordered to Ft Pickens as are further reinforcements. Hooker should arrive next turn and be able to use them to form a division.

I've ordered the lone cavalry unit still on the headland to blow the depot and then retire.

Ft Pickens

Well we are ashore. Butlers troops sauntered unopposed into Milton and at once began preparations for the assault on Escambia. That will not be easy. Not only a major river to cross but a significant number of defenders. Early scouting reports indicate 2 to 3,000 rebel troops are well dug in. The single advantage I seem to enjoy is that they are uncommanded.

Should the attack fail it hopefully will not prove too disasterous as Woods' division from Florida is expected to arrive in Milton in 7 days.

Tennessee and Kentucky

McCook with his cavalry regiment and supporting horse artillery duely reached Bowling Green where a minor skirmish took place. McCooks force was repulsed. The engagement did confirm however that currently the town is lightly defended.

I have just one active commander in the whole of these regions......thats Halleck of all people, sailing serenely to Bowling Green with assault orders. Let us hope that the defences are not bolstered prior to his arrival.

Although it looks as if Thomas, moving to Paducah is active its a false picture as its a left over from the last turn. I really intend to attempt to put pressure on Banks in Tennessee. Rosecrans has joined Foster and assumed command of the Corp. Little Mac sits pondering his options for the army at Paducah with Pope awaiting orders.

My plan to strengthen Paducah as a platform for advancing further south has been aided by AS Johnston once more assaulting Fosters defenses at Columbus on day 5. Despite being significantly outnumbered Foster and his divisional commanders marshalled the defenses superbly and repulsed repeated Rebel attacks. It is to be regretted that after two advances resulting in the storming of Paducah and the Columbus, followed by two successful defences of the forward positions (outnumbered on both occasions) that neither Foster nor his divisional officers have been mentioned in despatches. Methinks a word in Mr Lincolns ear would not go amiss

Missouri

Well I've produced the picture below. Really just for interest. Springfield was recaptured by the CSA. Watie is in residence now. I assume he will sortie North again along with Moseby who has arrived on the scene. I shall adopt the same tactic as in 61....just let them get on with it. ;)

To the odds and ends

NM for me is now 104. I had the Free Land event but it will fall back next time given that I've promoted Grant out of sequence. The CSA has risen again beyond that magic 105 to 107......I suppose Dixie has fired (sighs)

Foreign Intervention - minus 5

Economy - nil

Drafts - Nil

Finances - Nil

Reinforcements - Nil

Replacements - 1 Elite, 3 Line Infantry, 1 Cavalry

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:46 am

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late May 62 result and Early June Orders[/size][/color]

Well finally methinks that events may start to gallop on a pace, whether for the better or worse only time will tell. The end of May saw both sides continuing to 'jockey' for positions. One minor engagement is all and even that was not of a decisive nature.

Now that the weather has turned and Grant has been promoted Army commander Mr Lincoln is insisting on action. The people will not stand for many further months of inactivity in the East.

In Virginia, Grant has put forward a bold plan which due to the pressure being exerted at Washington the high command has reluctantly agreed to.

Virginia

Before we get to the nitty gritty as we would say over here just a word or two about Grants promotion. Obviously it went through OK and he now commands the Army of North Eastern Virginia. I was able to transfer to him Hamilton and Franklins Corps. Now would you just look at the positive effect that has made on the strategic, attack and defence ratings of those two commanders. Personally its a feature of AACW that I have little love for. I am aware of all of the reasons why but I do find it hard to square that the ratings of subordinates should be lifted by so much. Mind you as I said last time when I made the decision to promote Grant it does enable me to face off Banks' army with much greater equality.

Well the theatre looks like this at present. My move of Whipple to Culpeper and Franklin to support him went smoothly. The marches were achieved without incident by both commanders.

Onto the planned moves for this time together with the rationale. Well starting at Stafford/Aquia. Dix is active so I could order him to advance on Fredricksburg which still seems to be ungarrisoned. McDowell (though inactive) I could order to move to support him. It would be a nice move were it to work but it does require my forces crossing the Rappahannock and for the CSA to leave Fredericksburg relatively undefended for another turn. Now on the latter point I have a feeling in my water that Longstreets going to be moving to defend that fair city this time around. I might be missing a trick but having seen Johnston reappear to cover Lee's left flank, to move one of the two Corps with Robert E to protect the right would be a sound defensive decision on the Rebels part. So I'm going to pass on the opportunity and maybe curse myself for having done so when I get the turn back ;)

Now they can support one another Whipple and Franklin have orders to advance to Amherst. OK so it opens a route through my centre. I do so hope Banks' thinks it a tempting target as I'd love the opportunity to swing around his rear were he to try it. Particularly as now I have two Corp commanders at least who are likely to be active more often than not........now thats tempting fate perhaps I should wash my mouth out with soap :mdr:

If all goes well that will place Franklin, Whipple and Hamiltons commands strategically at Amherst, potentially threatening the road to Richmond.

For US Grant though I propose a much more daring move. An incisive thrust at Petersburg. In planning the advance the first requirement was to try to sidestep Johnstons force. Unfortunately this slows me down but I cannot afford to take the chance of engaging Johnstons troops and then having Lee, Jackson and Longstreet marching to the guns. So a shimmy to the right it is.

That puts Burkeville directly in front of the route of march. I would not be surprised to discover Huger's division digging in on the outskirts. Now the trouble is under normal circumstances the march I'm envisaging for Grant, even with these decent weather conditions, takes 16 days. So he's been ordered to force march his troops. If it works it cuts the time down to 13 days. Just enough to reach Petersburg. Its so much on the limit though that whist Grant has Red assault posture orders I've only feel comfortable in giving him Blue conservative attack orders. If I'm right about Huger entrenching at Burkeville I might not get through his defences.

Now here is the interesting bit. Its a gamble and a fairly sizeable one. Grants command has to travel light so no supply wagons. Just sufficient for two moves. My opponent may well chew up Grants forces. After all Petersburg is a real key strategic location for the South. If it falls it places a real strain on the Souths ability to supply its Virginian armies. However I cannot afford the time, should I carry the depot at Petersburg to stay around to blow it. Neither do I think I will be in a position to order Grant to defend........not with Lee, Longstreet and Jackson liable to descend on his forward positions. So my intention is to steamroller Grant further East. His primary target being to retake Norfolk and open up the James.

Phil Kearny has orders to operate as the eyes and ears of Grants army. Another move planned at creating havoc in the enemy rear at Garysburg is the idea. Should it work it also straddles one of the principle Confederate routes of movement and supply.

Before I leave this theatre just one other point. Its a waste of time having two armies covering the same area. Most inefficient use of resources plus it seriously inhibits MTG. To try to correct the current problem Nathaniel Banks has been ordered to Dover where he is to embark by fast picket to Fort Pickens. This move should enable me to transfer Dix, McDowell and Whipple to Grants wing.

Around Millboro all sign of enemy activity has disappeared. I wonder where Bushrod Johnson has gone to?

In the Penninsula

Well here I was able to create Milroy a Corp commander for Grant. Some replacements continued to trickle into Fort Monroe but it was only a trickle. Milroy is still short of most of his infantry. He continues to pull faces at Magruder across the water. Miles was appointed 5th Division commander to replace Hooker who has gone South.

[SIZE="3"]
LOWER SEABOARD[/size]

Florida

At Pensacola in the early hours of the 7th May elements of Hunters 2nd Division struggled ashore after fording the Yellow river to be greeted by a steady hail of confederate infantry fire from the substantial entrenchments commanding the crossing. Previous estimates of the enemy strength were sadly in error. Rather than the anticipated uncommanded rag tag and bobtail gathering of enemy troops, on a hilltop was espied PTG Beauregard in all his southern finery marshalling the defenses which in recent days had been heavily reinforced. Rather than outnumbering the enemy Hunter discovered much to his dismay that the forces were evenly matched. Deciding that discretion was the better part of valour he astutely ordered his troops to make a fighting withdrawal under the guise of a heavy mist that began to roll in from the sea. This was aided by a curious lack of artillery fire from the enemy positions.

So the position now looks like this. Hunter is retiring back to Milton. It should only take 1 day. Woods with 8th Division commanded by Asboth arrived at Milton and is now attached to Butler.

Joe Hooker reached Ft Pickens where he has formed an embryonic 37th Divison that has orders to assault Sparta (lets see whether I can outflank Borys defenses before he can be reinforced further). I've stripped 8th Division at Milton of half its strength an am moving it with Woods to Sparta to hopefully join Hooker.

Kentucky

The rebels had retired from Bowling Green. Nice move Banks seeing my assault coming. At least the Union now controls all structures in Kentucky even if we yet do not have the hearts and minds of the population. So Halleck walked unopposed into the town and then promptly decided to take a rest (inactive again) Fortunately Richardsons 28th Division arrived shortly afterwards and has been urged to immediately assault Gallatin. At the same time River transports have been ordered forward to begin to construct a depot at Bowling Green assuming the outpost can be held.

Tennessee

Here I really am gnashing my teeth. What a wonderful opportunity presented itself to really get amongst those Johnny Rebs. An opportunity that I cannot take advantage of. Little Mac, Pope, Thomas, Rosecreans and Foster all inactive.

Banks has split the Army of Tennessee. AS Johnston now only has Forneys Corp with him. Polk's has moved South West. I assume he intends to adopt a more defensive attitude for the next move or two. I know my Corp under Foster has been mauled. Not half as badly though as my opponents two. I have almost 40,000 fresh troops to throw into the fray and not a way of doing it. There is Thomas with the 9th and 25th Divisions at Paducah and Pope with the 17th, 19th and 26th Divisions at Columbus. All sitting on their butts. The door of opportunity will be slammed shut in my face next turn. Its now or never so it will be never. AAAAAARH :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:

Surprise, surprise that in Missouri lo and behold but who's come forward.....that little tinker Watie. I hope I've given him no easy targets. :)

To the dregs then.

The 'treatment of prisoners' event fired so +1 to NM though with me taking a -4 for appointing Grant the overall effect was the Union down to 100. The Confederate NM remains at 107

Foreign Intervention is now -4

Economy - building 30 rail and 20 river transports.

Financial - Nil

Drafts - Nil but next time YESSSSSSS

Reinforcements - Nil

Replacements - 1 Elite Infantry 3 Line Infantry 1 Light Infantry 1 Field Artillery

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:59 pm

Hi folks,

I'm eagerly awaiting Banks to process the turn I sent him. On revisiting positions though it occured to me that if Grant (by some chance) makes it to Petersburg an even better move, rather than try for Norfolk, would be to head South with his command. Garysburg with its depot (where I'm sending Kearny) looks juicy and it really would draw those confederate troops away from Richmond........hmmm much to ponder on.

Just goes to show that when you are playing PBEM take some time out to reconsider your proposed moves. There are always alternatives you have overlooked.

MVDH
Private

Florida Supply

Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:26 am

Hi Soundoff:

I think I may know why your depot was not drawing in supply when you were down in Franklin Florida. I noticed that the harbor exited into a river region, not a coastal region. So I surmise that your blue water navy transports couldn't deliver supplies to a river region and of course your brown water river transports had no access to your harbor down in Florida.

Lot's of study involved to understand the very important supply rules for sure.

Mark

Edit: As an additional note the region next door at St. Joseph also has a harbor but its outlet is into the coastal waters so if the depot had been set up here I believe supplies would have flowed to it.

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:32 am

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early June 62 result and Late June Orders[/size][/color]

Well good people the move did not turn out anywhere near as I'd intended. Banks second guessed virtually my every move. Fortunately, as I'd not overcommitted myself I dont think I've been significantly harmed. Just temporarily checked. Mind you perhaps thats wishful thinking on my part. Time will tell.

Virginia.

Sadly Grant never got past the starting line. My adversary shuffled his forces to his left effectively blocking his line of advance. A battle ensued at Appomattox. Grants forces were repulsed and retired back to Amherst.

Now before I move on at this point I'd just like to take a wee bit of time out to discuss this battle in more detail. In a way it highlights some interesting issues. I think it also demonstrates why, at times, I'm uneasy about battle results. Truth to tell sometimes I reckon they are flawed. Having said that it does not spoil my enjoyment of the game.

OK so to the battle. Now if you look at the report you will see that I had supposedly some 33,000 troops in the area. I say the area deliberately, rather than the battle, as I think we all know that often times the programme totals all of the units in a region rather than simply the number committed to the engagement.

Now what I had done in planning the move is that I stripped the best divisions from Hamiltons Corp and combined them with the best of Grants. So Grant set off on his march to Petersburg with 4 strong divisions all close to maximum cohesion. Travelling light though - no support units or supply.

Anyway (and this is my take on it). On reaching Appomattox he finds his position blocked by Johnston. Now the programme allows Armies (which Grants is) to fight if its on its own but in this instance sitting back at Amerherst in Hamiltons Corp. Unfortunately Hamiltons force is much depleted (as its minus its best divisions) and has poor cohesion.

So with Grant facing a battle, Hamilton Marches to the Guns and his Corp takes over the fighting whilst Grants Army command sits back and gives support but is not directly engaged. Just look at reports 23 to 26.

The upshot is the Union forces are repulsed. Worse still I've lost 3NM. The only saving graces are the losses being roughly equal and better still the CSA losing elements. I can also absorb the losses with greater ease than the CSA.

All of this occurs on day 6

On day 7 Grant and Hamilton are back on the starting line at Amherst. So far so good. Damned irritating that Hamitons Corp fought in Grants place but thats the game with MTG and I know the rules.

Its at this stage though that things start to get interesting and I begin to scratch my head.

Returning to the battle report I lost just over 9,000 men in the battle. I also suffered 46 hits in the retreat. Hamiltons decimated Corp has 12,500 survivors of all types. Grants Army remains at a strength of 30,500.

OK this is the question. Grant is in Appomattox. Hamiltons force MTG's and interposes. So how come the number in the battle is only 33,000? If you ignore Grants force entirely from the equation Hamiltons force was never 33,000 strong to begin with. Also why ar'nt the support units that Hamilton has with him....e.g. the supply units not shown as being present on the battlefield?

I just cannot make head nor tail of the numbers. Grants army HQ is shown as it should be but as to the rest (shrugs shoulders)

I've shown Franklin and Whipples Corps as well. Franklin was in Amherst at the start of the turn but obviously did not MTG. Whipple moved there on day 6. Neither were engaged but I've shown them just to prove the point.

If the peculiarities had ended their I reckon I'd have made no comment in this post but they have not. Now look at reports 63 to 66 (ignore 67 and 68 for now those commanders were not at Appomattox) Hmmm how come my commanders get congratulated for a victory when according to the battle report the Union suffered a defeat and as report 26/68 shown above says the result of the defeat is that I suffer a loss of 3NM

Now it makes even less sense.

And pre-empting the very last aspect it seems as if my NM has actually gone up by 3 and that of my opponent down by 3.

So did I win or lose? You tell me as the reports are definately telling me porkies. :thumbsup:

If any of you reckon its worth a mull over perhaps the open thread is the place ;)

Enough of that though and back to planned moves in Virginia for the forthcoming turn.

OK so the move turned out pearshaped but Johnstons command is severely damaged. On its own it cannot stand against me. I suspect Banks will move further southwest again with Lee. Mind you I've not been doing very well of late in guessing his moves. He did not send either Jackson or Longstreet to Fredricksburg. Is he really giving that position up without a fight? This time I'm going to test it.

My orders then are as follows. As I cannot afford another episode where Grant has 4 able divisions that do not fight I'm transferring those troops to Hamilton. Hamiltons decimated command I am splitting between Franklin and Whipple both of whose forces need another turn of rest to achieve full cohesion.

Hamilton has orders to assault Burkeville. I still strongly suspect that Huger is in residence. I do not intend to send Hamilton further than Burkeville. I am operating on the assumption that Banks dare not split Jackson or Longstreet away now. Not with Grant and currently three Corps before him.

Dix has been instructed to assault Fredricksburg but by the long route so as to avoid an opposed crossing of the Rappahannock. McDowell who stubbornly remains inactive is to mosey on down at his leisure in support.

Lets see with these two proposed thrusts if I cannot begin to exert some real pressure on the citizens of Richmond.

Kearny reached Garysburg and found it weakly defended with little in the way of support in the surrounding regions. Regrettably he has decided to become inactive this time so its a destroy the rail link order for him and a move to Lynchburg. No sense in keeping his troops in danger at this time.

Pratt at Millboro has orders to assault Christianburg with Sherman at Grafton (now at least with the fair makings of a division) moving to Millboro to replace Pratt.

All in all then a pretty big move for the Union forces. I do hope the president will not be disappointed. In the Penninsula - no picture this time- Milroy tries to regather his strength. Its a slow old process. His command is still less than 6,000 effectives.

Kentucky/Tennessee

In this theatre my move came unstuck as Banks anticipated me. Richardson attempted to take Gallatin as ordered but found Van Dorn waiting.
Heavy fighting ensued. Again Billy Yank was thrown back. Now I have the Union press howling following these early June setbacks. Although casualties were two to one in the enemies favour it was not a crushing defeat.

Another puzzlement was going back to report 67/68 and 68/68 (see above) Richardson and Runyon were congratulated for the victory? Hmmmmm.

Having retired back to Bowling Green the current situation looks like this. Halleck has 11,000 under his wing and is rapidly constructing a depot. He is inactive (not that I'd have made an offensive move with him this time) Its await developments for now in this area. I may probe at Clarksville in a move or two. Its an option.

Would you Adam and Eve it. Of course you would, its a recurring theme. Not one active commander. So time for a further bit of reorganisation. Rosecreans has sealed instructions to report to high command in Paducah with 17th Division leaving Foster with 11th, 12th, 19th and 26th Divisions in charge of the Corp at Columbus. My intention being to operate with just two strong Corps (one at Paducah the other at Columbus) - always assuming of course that at sometime during this war they surprise me and decide that its time to move. Little Mac is becoming a pain the the posterior :bonk: :bonk:

From the look of it, to the south Polk has 3 divisions plus Forrest's command. I'd estimate around 20,000 whilst AS Johnston has Forney's Corp with him. I reckon about 15,000 strong.

Florida

A couple of things here. Firstly going back over old ground and my inability to receive supplies in the St Joseph region in earlier times. I'm sure you've noticed there is a decent thread on supplies going on in the general forum. Now I'd always believed Pocus's words (quoted by Major Tom) that if you had a depot in a coastal region it would receive supply (not that I'd ever tried it until this game). Other posters in that thread such as my opponent have argued that 'common sense' dictates that you need a harbour as well. Personally I agree with the 'common sense' idea but have always believed that what the game designer/programmer says should be gospel. I've now reached the conclusion that maybe something was lost in translation (as happens to us all) and that you do indeed need a harbour. It would explain why no supply got through.

Back to this move though. Woods command has temporarily been absorbed by Butler until it is fully recovered. Butler has orders to defend Milton.

Joe Hooker landed with his small force, marched on Sparta, carried the undefended town and is reorganising his enlarged force. A bold move is planned for him. A deep strike at the important crossroads and depot at Meridian. With a forced march he can make it. If he can carry it off it places a strong division in an difficult position for the Confederacy as it could strike again in any direction. Hooker has a supply wagon with him so even should the move fail he has every chance of making it back successfully to friendly lines.

Missouri

Still nothing of significance. I'm awaiting what Banks intends to do with Watie.

Texas/Arizona

I was surprised though and dismayed that Sibley attacked Tuscon and carried it. OK so its not earth shattering but its a blow I could have done without. It rounded off a trio of defeats this time. :(

To the nuts and bolts then

Foreign Intervention - now minus 3

NM - Union 103 CSA 104 (below that magic 105)

Drafts - Offering 2,000 bounty. Expected to raise 410 conscripts at cost of 1NM

Finances - issuing 5% bonds. Expected to raise 310,000 and cost 25VP's Measured Exceptional Taxes raising 349,000 and costing 1NM

Politics - Total Blockade raising 50,000 and gaining 1NM

Replacements - 2 Elite Infantry 5 Line Infantry 2 Skirmish Infantry 2 Field Artillery

Reinforcements -

New York

2 x 2 Infantry and 1x6lb Artillery brigades
2 x 3 Infantry, 1x6lb Artillery and 1 Cavalry brigades

New Jersey

2 x 12lb Artillery batteries

Connecticut

2 x 2 Infantry brigades

Pennsylvania

2 x 2 Infantry and 1 Sharpshooter brigades
2 x 2 Infantry 1x6lb and 1 Cavalry brigades

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:14 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Late June 62 Result and Early July Orders[/size][/color]

Well, it seems as if I have more than recovered from the Early June setbacks. Mind you the peculiar phenomenon is that oftentimes, and this is one such time, when I do better than I have a right to expect I get nervous about what to do next. Strange or what? Anyway without more ado straight onto the report.

Virginia

Hamiltons Corp did indeed sidestep the Rebel positions and reached Burkeville on the morning of the 12th. As hoped, and too an extent expected, Huger was entrenched but evidently had orders to withdraw immediately should he be faced with a significantly superior force. There was minor skirmishing throughout the day as Huger sought to retire in good order. We managed to inflict casualties on one Confederate regiment of infantry that was covering the enemy withdrawal. The survivors surrendered leaving Hamiltons command in full control of the field of battle.

Early reconnaissance indicate that Robert E Lee has consolitated most of his forces in Appomattox.

Dix and McDowell's Corps were successfully assimulated into Grants command. Their joint orders to advance on Fredericksburg was duely enacted without incident. Much to my surprise the city was indeed undefended.

Whilst both the moves on the left and right flanks of Grants army were conducted in an exemplary fashion it does present the Northeast Virginia Army's high command with a dilemma. Neither Dix/McDowell to the North, nor more importantly Hamilton to the South are supported by Whipple or Franklins troops.

Given the current position of the main bulk of the Rebel forces the likely threat is against Hamiltons Corp at Burkeville. It would take 7 days for Hamiltons staff to conduct an orderly retirement from Burkeville, so this in not an option.

Hamilton does have some 32,500 effectives, a not inconsiderable number. I doubt that Lee could muster above 2 to 1 odds were he to attack. In addition the CSA troops would be crossing the Appomattox. Under these circumstances I've issued Hamilton with orders to attempt to conservatively hold Burkeville.

Mr Lincoln and the cabinet are insistent that the road to Washington be kept secure, hence on the left flank Dix has been ordered to remain at Fredicksburg. McDowell has instructions to press on to Louisa hopefully to be joined with Franklins force moving from Roanoke.

I remain uneasy about leaving Hamilton at Burkeville with no hope of support but I believe its the best option.

Generals Sykes, Slocum, Couch, Reno and Sedgewick have reported for duty at Fredricksburg they have been ordered to Aquia which has been designated as the mustering point for fresh troops being raised in the east and due to complete training sometime in July.

The population of Lynchburg decided to switch alliegiance to the Union cause when Phil Kearny and his troops arrived even though they had no orders to storm the town.

His command is to retire to Bedford to provide Grants HQ with much needed scouting information

Meanwhile Shermans division is ordered further South from Millboro to secure Lynchburg. Simultaneously Pratt has orders to assault Christiansburg. The effect of these planned moves (should they prove successful) will be to effectively curtail any ability the enemy may have of conducting joint operations between his Virginian and Tennessee armies. Thats the hope anyway :)

On the Penninsula

Replacements barely trickle in to Milroys Corp. Such have been my losses over the winter, mainly from attrition, that the pace of bringing Milroys Corp up to strength is a very slow one. Pity really as my ideal move would be to transport his command up the James and strike at Richmond. But just look at those two divisions of his. Almost devoid of infantry. Current strength less than 7,000.......over a division down in manpower terms. Guess he will just have to sit tight.

Kentucky and Tennessee

Once again depressing news not one active Corp Commander and Little Mac also refuses to budge. Banks and I are roughly evenly matched. I think I need Meade in this theatre. How I do so much miss Lyons not having appeared.

The one piece of good news is that Phil Sheridan has arrived. Already he is gathering a substantial cavalry force about him and is moving to Missouri

Florida

Now when I first saw this report it made me glup. I never expected this move at all. Banks ordering Bory to assault Fort Pickens. It was indeed a bold move. Given the difficulty of the venture I personally reckon he was really pushing the envelope a step too far.

Mind you I did breathe a real sigh of relief in seeing that the garrision held. Boy did it make me sweat imagining what could have happened.

With Bory been committed with almost two thirds of his command against Ft Pickens I am taking the opportunity to launch an assault by Woods against Escambia again. I suspect that Banks will be reinforcing the position before my attack goes in but its a gamble I'm prepared to take.

Nathaniel Banks with his army command is now aboard a fast packet at Dover and is sailing with all speed to assume command of the Florida forces.

Alabama

Whilst Bory was attempting to prise Ft Pickens from my grasp Joe Hooker at Sparta launched a forced march assault against Meridian. His troops stormed the town destroying the local militia unit and captured the depot. On the march north west his troops seized Grove Hill. Hooker was congratulated for the success of his action and his seniority has improved but not sufficiently for me to promote him

Regrettably Joe has decided enough is enough for a turn and has gone inactive. Its a pity given so many juicy depots that he could theoretically strike at. For this turn then I've detached a brigade from his command to destroy the railhead and the depot. (As an aside I do so hate not being able to destroy a depot with an inactive commander)

Missouri

Much to my surprise Watie assaulted and was victorious at Ft Leavenworth. Losses were not significant but its a move I could have done without. I have to react to Watie now.

This is the current situation. All troops protecting structures have been ordered to attack on sight enemy troops entering their zones of control. Sheridan has been ordered to track Watie with immediate effect. Divisions that were heading South towards Springfield etc have been ordered to return North until the situation is stabilised.

Well thats about it good people for the time being other than to the odds and ends.

Firstly the Iron Brigade has mustered at New York and has orders to proceed to Aquia with all haste.

Economy - The Pacific Railway Act event fired which cost me 50,000 dollars but produced 50 additional rail capacity.

Foreign Intervention - My total embargo gave a -9 to British Engagement which now stands at minus 12

Finances - The one time tax raised 343,000 and the 5% bonds 306,000

Drafts - offering the 2,000 dollar bounty produced 407 conscript companies at a cost of 838,000 dollars.

Replacements - 5 Line Infantry and 2 Light Infantry

Reinforcements

Ohio

1 x 2 Infantry 1x6lb Artillery and 1 Cavalry Brigade
3 x 1 Sharpshooter Regiments.

Illinois

3 x 12lb Artillery Batteries

I've introduced Martial Law into Mississippi now

NM for the Union is at 102 and for the Confederacy 103

orca
Lieutenant

Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:39 am

Congrats on the way things seem to be going. I was rereading your AAR and found this rather ironic.

soundoff wrote:I do so hope it goes well, in truth for no other reason than to disprove that the only sensible thing is to confine Little Mac to Buffalo or some such out of the way place.

Seems to me that so far you've demonstrated the exact opposite :)

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:22 pm

[color="Red"][SIZE="6"]Early July 62 result and Late July orders[/size][/color]

Another relatively good turn for the Union. I think Mr Lincoln is well satisfied except for the inactivity in the Western TheatreB].

[B][SIZE="3"]EASTERN THEATRE[/size]

Virginia

Was I surprised to see this battle report. Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine Banks going for the throat at Amherst. At one level I can see the sense. Had it have succeeded it would have severely compromised my positions. Truth to tell though I think the odds were always against the CSA carrying it off.

So Robert E assaulted with Jackson and Longstreets Corps. The battle report is slightly misleading. I will try to explain. In Amherst I had Franklin and Whipple. I made a mistake with my last report in that it was Whipples Corp that I was sending to Louisa to join McDowell. It was Franklins Corp that was to remain with Grant at Amherst.

Now from the messages what seemed to have happened is that Whipple moved, as did McDowell. Then Lee arrived in Amherst. McDowells Corp immediately marched to the sound of the guns. On arriving at the battlefield he promptly retreated taking 36 hits ending up in Bedford. Grant seems to have retreated with him. This left just Franklins Corp which performed admirably to hold the depot. On the same day and at the same hour that McDowell retreats Lee also decides to pull back but without suffering any hits. The more I play this game and the deeper I go the less I feel I understand sometimes whats actually happening :bonk:

Ah well, never mind. The upshot was a Union victory, plus 1 to NM and another 3 Rebel regiments lost. This 62 campaign in the east sure is hurting. Luckily for me the Confederates seem to be suffering more than me.

So the situation now looks like this. By pure fluke (not by design or intent) my Corps are all supporting one another though its not the situation I'd ideally like. I need to start to think about bringing weight to bear if I can. My intended moves then are for McDowell to move to Amherst to support Franklin.

Given the CSA defeat and now having good reconnaissance on Johnstons force at Richmond I'm ordering Hamilton to assault the Petersburg depot. I'm also moving Grant to join him.

Whipple, Dix and Franklin are all to hold.

At Lynchburg we played a little bit of tag with Stuarts force. First he took the town then moved on to Bedford where unluckily for him he met McDowells Corp that had retreated from Amherst. There was a small engagement. Stuart bounced off and retreated back to Lynchburg but by then Shermans division had arrived to retake the town.

So at Lynchburg this is the situation. I'm ordering Sherman to march on with his troops to Garysburg. If I can take that depot then I really will be able to exert pressure on Confederate supplies.

Pratt in West Virginia who captured an undefended Christiansburg has orders to replace Shermans division at Lynchburg.

This is my rough summing up of effective troops now in the region of Richmond. To this little lot you would have to add Hugers division (of about 7,000) which I reckon Hamilton will meet at Petersburg. Not quite 2 to 1 odds in my favour but approaching it.

[SIZE="3"]
WESTERN THEATRE[/size]

Kentucky and Tennessee

orca wrote:Congrats on the way things seem to be going. I was rereading your AAR and found this rather ironic.

Seems to me that so far you've demonstrated the exact opposite :)

I wish I could say you were wrong orca but I cannot. The year started so well with the move on Paducah then Columbus but since then my commands just refuse to budge. I normally find I am able to work with Little Mac after a fashion but on reflection it does rely on Lyons being one of his Corp commanders. Ah well another never mind

So in this theatre no change. The positions remain unaltered. Just look at all those brown envelopes. (sighs)

As to force sizes and compositions this is my estimation of them. No real change in numbers either. I think both my opponent and myself are pouring whatever we can into the east.

Missouri

Watie continues to be a right pain in the posterior. Thats another town lost, even if only temporarily. Luckily Sherman and his cavalry should reach the region at the end of July so things might, just might, start to alter. It really is an irritant. I cannot move forward without kicking Watie out of Missouri.

Moving to Florida and here things are going so much better.

The attack on Escambia/Pensacola went as well as I ever had a right to expect. With Bory out of the way following his almost suicidal attack on Ft Pickens the remaining defenders were less than 3,000 strong.

Hunters division crossed Pensacola Bay on the 3rd of July under heavy fire from Rebel cannon. They suffered 15 hits in the crossing but recovered good order and assaulted the city on the 11th. Despite being repulsed they rallied and attacked again at dawn on the 12th. Finally breaching the Confederate defenses sometime during mid morning. By late afternoon on the 12th the rebels were in full retreat and many stragglers were being taken prisoner.

Hopefully I can now think of stablizing the bridgehead though I have little in the way of fresh troops to commit. Nathaniel Banks with the army command should arrive sometime in Late July. For now though orders for all forces in the region are to hold. One thought I am toying with is removing one of Milroys divisions from Ft Monroe in the Penninsula and use as reinforcements. I'll ponder on it some more for next time. :)

Mississippi

For a minute there I nearly forgot Joe Hooker and that would never do. He replenished his supply wagons. Blew the depot and Meridian and is now ready to move.

He has a difficult task. Vicksburg is just on the edge of his maximum movement so its a 'no brainer' really. I'm taking the gamble and sending him with assault orders. Even if he fails I've had a bit of fun with his command. He really should have the Rebels hopping around.

Once more to the bits and bobs.

The Military Award for Valour event fired which produced a plus 2NM. What with the extra one I gained for the Amherst battle I'm very satisfied that my NM stands at 105 whilst that of the Confederates is at 102

Economy - Nil

Finances - Nil

Drafts - Nil

Reinforcements - Nil. With such heavy campaigning and little or no rest during the winter turns its almost impossible to raise fresh brigades and regiments other than when drafts are available.

Replacements - 8 Line Infantry. 1 Cavalry. 1 Field Artillery

Foreign Intervention - minus 18

Return to “American Civil War AARs”