Willard
Private

Vista Install Problem

Sat May 17, 2008 4:53 pm

Hi -

I recently purchased a new laptop and am attempting to load BoA onto it.
The laptop is an IdeaPad Y510 with 32bit Vista, Intel Core 2 Due Processor, 4 G RAM and Nvidea GeForce 8600M GS 256 mb graphics card.

I can install BoA fine, but when I log in my the key code and and attempt to configure the graphics settings I get the following error messages:

Impossible de creer le fichier "D:Games\Birth Of America\BoA\Settings\Display.opt". Access is denied

AND...

Impossible de creer le fichier "D:Games\Birth of America\BoA\Settings\general.opt". Access is denied

The game used to work fine under WinXP on my old PC.
This is very frustrating and your help would be appreciated!

I have installed/re-installed several times and used the last patch.
I also updated Vista and still get the same problem.

Thanks!
[color="Red"]Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins they gave me one.[/color]

What I am not looking forward to is the "we can always release a patch later" quality control that has crippled the PC gaming industry. If I wanted a job as a game debugger, I would have paid more attention in math class.

Primasprit

Sat May 17, 2008 6:07 pm

Hi Willard,

I believe that this problem (and the one you posted for AACW) is not caused by the game but by (write) access restrictions on files in the installation directory of the games.
I can reproduce your issues if I install the game in a directory not inside the \Program Files directory, under a login with administrator rights and try later to start the game with a user account with limited rights. Vista does not allow full access to the files in this case, which causes trouble.

Cheers
Norbert

Willard
Private

Sat May 17, 2008 6:30 pm

Norbert -

Thank you for the reply.
Is it correct that I must uninstall and reinstall in the program directory or is there another fix I must use?

Willard
[color="Red"]Everyone gets everything he wants. I wanted a mission, and for my sins they gave me one.[/color]

What I am not looking forward to is the "we can always release a patch later" quality control that has crippled the PC gaming industry. If I wanted a job as a game debugger, I would have paid more attention in math class.

Primasprit

Sun May 18, 2008 8:55 am

Well, normally everything should be fine if you install and run the game with the same user account. In all cases you should be able to run the game under a user account with administrator rights.
However I don't know if you use several user accounts. If not I am a bit clueless what could prevent the game from accessing the files. Frankly speaking, I am no Vista expert and use it only to test the games under this OS. In case you have still problems please post again and I will investigate further. :cwboy:

Cheers
Norbert

Return to “BoA Technical support / Aide technique”