Drambuie
Corporal

Graphics lockups and errors

Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:24 pm

Hi,

Just patched to 1.12a and tried playing for the first time in ages. Firstly, playing with an x1950pro on desktop settings (1680x1050). Played a few turns then game locked up with map on screen, had to reset pc. Did this a few times, same problem then got a crash where the screen went black. Ctrl alt del, alt tab wouldn't let me do anything.

Then tried changing settings, put on hardware cursor and changed to a bordered screen. Crashed again but his time because it wasn't full screen got an error on screen - Directx to renderder invalid call (Burst Mode) Would you like to terminate the apllication? Tried upgrading to 7.9 catalyst drivers but got same error - strangely could hear sounds like a battle resolving in the background as the screen blacked and the error box popped up.

Any ideas? Sorry that was a bit long

Thanks

Pocus

Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:47 am

Typical video card issue, sorry. Have you tried to use the OmegaDrivers, they are better for games (like our) not using the latest DirectX technology. Problem with ATI or NVidia is the tendency they have to support well the latest stuff but at the expense of less support for older features (DirectX 8 for example).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Drambuie
Corporal

Wed Oct 10, 2007 10:07 am

Thanks for the speedy reply - I don't mean this too harshly but it seems a little bit of a strange answer to me. I have no real idea about DX programming etc, but I play a lots of game types and ages, and have yet to have any crash like this with my current setup (or indeed any setup I have had I think that weren't fixed or patched). A bit like telling a car owner they need a different set of tyres for this one street although it drives fine everywhere else (silly analogy I know but it makes my point)

It seems to me that this may lose a lot of custom - or rather get customers that then can't play the game because it crashes (for example does the game blurb state that 'this may not run on industry standard drivers'?). I was, for example, trying BoA again to see if I'd buy your ACW game because of similarities - if there's a chance it won't work then it seems fairly obvious to me that I won't risk spending my money.

Thanks,
Kevin

Pocus

Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:45 am

Well, in all honesty my aim is not to exonerate the game by all means, by finding an external culprit. On the other hand, I just can't say it is the fault of the game if I believe it is not. So I will give you facts and you will deduce what you want from them. Also I will propose you to tweak your setting.

- the game is known to run on a vast range of video cards, as shown in this rather long thread http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5785 , including your. Both AACW and BOA share the same engine.

- the DirectX part of the engine is stable since early 2006, and we only had to provide 3 refunds because of unsolved hardware issues on BOA since the release date.

- Some players reported that the game did not run with the latest driver, but by using a n-1 or n-2 driver generation it worked. Don't you find that strange from Nvidia and ATI?

- Some players had problems with official drivers, but by using an unofficial one (omegadrivers), the game worked.

Ok enough, what I can propose you:

a) send me the file <your game path>\BOA\general.opt and I will tweak the settings so that your video card is less sollicited. Send it to [email="support@ageod.com"]support@ageod.com[/email]

b) if it does not work, you should really try omegadrivers, they are really stable.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Drambuie
Corporal

Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:51 pm

Hi,

Sending the file - really appreciate your time and responses on this.
One thing I tried was setting the exe to windows 2000 compatability and
it seemed to run longer before it crashed - coincidence or not i'm not sure.

Cheers

Kevin

Return to “BoA Technical support / Aide technique”