Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Problem with new patch 1.12a

Fri May 25, 2007 6:30 pm

I just downloaded the latest patch 1.12a. During installation, the patch refused to install one file, cheboyga.ttg. I tried a second time and again that file refused to install. It appears to be a font file. I hit ignore and the remainder of the installation worked fine.

I started up the game and opened a new game of Montcalm's scenario. When I viewed the map, it appears all cities/towns lacking forts were not showing up on the map. Towns/cities with forts are appearing on the map. I opened a couple of other scenarios and the same problem.

Is anyone else having the same problem or is it just me?

arsan

Fri May 25, 2007 7:25 pm

:bonk:
Same problem here: no towns or cities shown. Only forts and depots are on map (for example, Albany has now a depot only graphic)
I've checked it on 1775 long campaign.
By the way, to me the patch installed flawlessly. But results are the same :8o:
Cheers!

runyan99

Sat May 26, 2007 3:21 am

I'm getting a little frustrated with the way each successive patch seems to fix one thing, but break something else that was working fine before the update. It's always one step forward, one step back.

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat May 26, 2007 6:15 am

This problem has been solved yesterday, download the patch again and reinstal it. :cwboy:
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Pocus

Sat May 26, 2007 6:49 am

This is why we are changing policy, we now release a beta version of the patch, because as we said, the few remaining active betas are not enough to be 100% sure that a patch is bug free. Then once the willing players tested the patch, we do a release candidate (1, 2, ...) then the official patch.

I'm sorry about the 1.12a issue though. I did not want to redo the full test cycle for just a minor patch, because I wanted the player to get the fix asap, as some had real trouble with supply. The move was only initiated to help people. In doing so, I mistyped a parameter in a file, and prevented cities to appears. This got fixed less than 2 hours after release though.

Next time we will delay even the patches subversion so that a full test cycle is performed on it as some of you are unhappy with our patching policy.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

arsan

Sat May 26, 2007 9:02 am

Thanks! :hat:
Everybody make mistakes... but nobody can fix them as fast as Pocus and co!! :niark: :niark:

Primasprit

Sat May 26, 2007 9:22 am

Hi runyan99!

runyan99 wrote:I'm getting a little frustrated with the way each successive patch seems to fix one thing, but break something else that was working fine before the update. It's always one step forward, one step back.

This is not entirely true, it is at least two steps forward... ;)
Sorry for the hassle you had but please understand that these things happen. As far as I know Pocus does still all the coding for BoA and AACW, working on VGN and who knows what else and is the most active member of the forum, discussing and answering to almost every question. So he is quite busy and thus it can happen that such an 'quick fix' is not entirely tested and lead to problems.
So I think the idea about the public beta patches is a really good one, this speed the testing process up. Before you install a new patch you can backup your BoA directory and perform a rollback if some error occur. :)

WallysWorld
Captain

Sun May 27, 2007 2:08 am

Korrigan and Pocus,

Thanks very much for getting this issue resolved so fast.

I'm going to start my British 1775 campaign now.

boudi

Tue May 29, 2007 8:47 am

runyan99 wrote:I'm getting a little frustrated with the way each successive patch seems to fix one thing, but break something else that was working fine before the update. It's always one step forward, one step back.

I disagree. Ageod support is the best one that i've never seen in my life of videogamer.

Look at paradox, they selled an update for HOI2 with a lot of bug few months ago, players bought it, and the bugs are still not corrected today !!! :fleb:

Matrix games continue to sell TOAW3 with a major bug who can be used for cheat during a PBEM. It was never solved... :tournepas

PhilThib

Tue May 29, 2007 10:04 am

Fixing problems takes time, and our team is small. For instance we have only one guy doing all the code, as was mentionned. More attention will be given to these matters in the coming weeks, with the retroffiting of code upgrades into BOA :indien:

Return to “BoA Technical support / Aide technique”