Pulaski
Conscript

notes/suggestioons on the map

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:28 pm

I was looking at the map for the 1777 Saratoga and noted a few things that could be corrected:

Unit names:
I assume the "3rd Rgt." "4 Rgt." etc. names refer to 3rd Regiment of Continential Line?
It would be better to call them "3rd Continential", "4th Continental" etc.

Map stuff:

I realize a lot of the map is stylized for the game but here are some suggestions for changes:

I wonder if New York or even West Point should be a level 2 fort like Fort Ti to represent the difficulty in taking those locations.

Fort Constitution (which is in the Hudson river) is technically part of the West Point defenses. Continential Village less than 10 miles south was a major supply depot near peekskill.

The lower Hudson should be navigable by ships and possibly a batteaux unit should be at West Point or Ft. Constitiution to represent the critical Ferry crossings in this area. This was a big part of the war strategy in this area.

Region names to more accurately reflect the region names at the time.

Valley Forge: in NJ? It might be better to call this region Pluckamin.

Kinderhook: wrong side of river change to Kingston (or at least Ulster).
Kingston is a city and Ulster is the county name for that area represented by kinderhook and Catskill

Also I'd humbly suggest these names changes:

Catskill to Ulster
Slide Mt. to Neversink
Passaic to Orange

and possibly:

Long Island to Brooklyn
East hampton to Long Island

Ridgefield while technically OK might be better called Westchester and the city name changed to White Plains or Ridgefield, although Danbury does fall in the maps area.

PhilThib

Wed Mar 01, 2006 4:37 pm

Thanks for the suggestions :coeurs:

* Regarding the units names, I'll check if the full name fits correctly inside the unit picture in the interface...if so, they will be changed

* The Ferry crossing at West Point will be integrated in a future patch, no need to add bateaux there (in addition, the time of loading the bateaux, crossing the river and isembarking would be longer than just crossing "normally" :tournepas ).

* Region Names : excellent suggestions. You may have more in different places too, don't you ? Because changing those names is a rather cumbersome process so I would like to do it once only

Pulaski
Conscript

Wed Mar 01, 2006 5:05 pm

PhilThib wrote:* Region Names : excellent suggestions. You may have more in different places too, don't you ? Because changing those names is a rather cumbersome process so I would like to do it once only

Sorry I don't have other suggestions for other regions just happen to be a colonial history buff who lives in the region marked "Passaic". :siffle:

And about the crossing of the Hudson: The river is navigable well north of West Point which is why the Forts were built. While deep there it is fairly narrow.
South of West Point ( in the Tappan Zee) the river is up to 3 miles wide, so crossing it should be more difficult. It seems like making the Lower Hudson below west point like the Chesapeake Bay would represent reality better.

PhilThib

Wed Mar 01, 2006 6:12 pm

The Hudson is indeed navigable both by Bateaux and oceanic transports. it is only restricted to ocean warships (i.e. no ships of the line).

You can try with an English transport, it may move up to Albany (but do not include a warship in the fleet, it will not work :indien: )...

Also note that a fort on an adjacent region blocks all enemy naval movement over that portion of the river which is next to the region...so West Point fort is really important (the US should build one as soon as possible in the 75 and 76 campaigns)

Robear
Conscript

Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:15 pm

Region names - things I noticed.

In Maryland, "Maggohy" should be "Maggothy". Just a typo.

In New York, "Shenectady" should be "Schenectady" or "Skenectady" (which would conform to spelling norms of the period, if the name is too long otherwise.) There is no soft "sch" at the beginning, it's a hard "sk" sound.

In Delaware, "Cheptank" should be "Choptank", as that name was the one for the big river in Dorchester County.

In New Jersey, "Glocester" should be "Gloucester".

In Virginia, "Shananda" should be "Loudon", I think. That name was in use as of 1756, being split off from Fairfax, and is in common usage today, whereas "Shananda" is a total mystery to the locals. :-)

That's all I have for the moment.

Return to “BoA Technical support / Aide technique”