Tomokatu
Conscript

Installation Problem Win XP Home

Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:55 am

I recently purchased BoA through Matrix Games (with whom I have previously had satisfactory results) but upon trying to install (to Win XP Home - with Administrator rights) after getting the serial key recognised OK, the game crashes to desktop with the error message.
TListModels.get Data container for models definitions has some discrepancies. for UID 261
I've searched the thread for any similar errors so I attach the !MainLog.txt file and a screencap of the errormsg dialogue box. (I tried to include an xml file of my system description. too)
Basically, my system is a Quad Core with 2Gb RAM, NVidia 8800GT, two displays.

Matrix's suggested fix is to update my drivers (done) and not to run at higher than 1280 x 1024 :blink :( I normally run at 1680 x 1050 but don't get the option to change resolutions before the game bombs out).

It has been suggested to me (in comp DOT sys DOT ibm DOT pc DOT games DOT war-historical) that the error is a database error rather than a screen display error.

Can anybody offer some suggestions, please? :sherlock: Is there something I can take back to Matrix's "Support" :clown: line? I can quote my problem number with Matrix if anybody wants to contact them directly :rofl: for programmer-to-programmer discussions.
Attachments
BoAInstallErr.gif

[The extension txt has been deactivated and can no longer be displayed.]

lodilefty

Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:59 am

Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]
[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Rules for new members[/CENTER]
[CENTER]Forum Rules[/CENTER]

[CENTER]Help desk: support@slitherine.co.uk[/CENTER]

arsan

Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:08 am

Hi!

The error message seems to be different, but the "offending" file UID 216 is the same that caused some errors before
Check this thread
http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=8323&highlight=UID+261

Can it be a double UID 261 file?? or a missing UID 261 file?? :confused:
If its the second, on the linked thread i posted the missing files a looong time ago. Maybe you can check if they are on
Birth of America\BoA\GameData\Models folder
And if there is just one of them or are doubled

In any case it looks like a database error. Not a drivers problem.
The strange thing is... why this problem happens only for one customer a year or so :bonk:

Cheers

PD Tomokatu: to change display resolution and related tweaks, you have to open the AGEsettings.exe program you will find on the game installation folder or linked on the windows game menu.
It's were you put your serial number. It has two tabs, one for serial, one for display tweaks.
Not that i think it will help with your problem but still, its a good thing to know :)

Tomokatu
Conscript

Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:08 am

Have you installed the patch?
Not yet - I'm more used to doing that AFTER successfully installing a game (or other software) Thanks for the link to the patch - I hadn't already grabbed it.

More later.

Tomokatu
Conscript

Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:15 am

Oh Boy! [SIZE="1"]This is SUCH fun![/size]
After re-naming file 261 I ran the game. This time I reached the splash screen and musical sounds. [SIZE="4"]Progress!! [/size][SIZE="1"]But it crashed[/size].

I attach the main log from this instance as [color="Red"]!Main log-unpatched.txt[/color]. Then I downloaded the patch, installed that and tried again. This time, I had the AGEOD splash logo, followed by the game splash screen and then another CTD. I DID find that the patch had re-renamed the original problem (file GameData>Models>261) with the bullet and ALSO deleting the point before the file suffix. I have re-re-renamed that file and re-inserted the point, too. (Starting to gibber a bit now :bonk: .)

I attach that log as [color="Red"]!Main log-patched1-13.txt[/color]. You will note by comparison that the errors appear identical.

I've looked at the files in GameData>Units but there doesn't appear to be any problem in the filenames this time.

[color="Pink"][SIZE="1"]If anybody wants me, I shall be lying quietly in a warm bath chewing my toes off one by one[/size][/color]. :D
Attachments

Pocus

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:04 am

Files are missing in your units directory, I don't see how it can be otherwise.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Nikel

Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:59 am

Tomokatu, are you japanese?

303 is Philippe Sacré and the é can be the problem, after renaming 261 the problem starts with 304, the one after what is probably the real problem, 303

13:43:14 [Critical ] UnitDefs.CheckDatas The entry 304 Pascal Di Folco has an erroneous UID

So try to rename 303AME Philippe Sacre.uni could fix the problem?

Info extracted from this thread, several posters seemed to be japanese

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=1958&highlight=TListModels.get+Data+container+models+definitions+discrepancies

In this list posted there were problems with more files though?

http://ooedogoyou.web.fc2.com/BoA1.09-1.12a_File_Compare.html

The original problem was with 261, but this one and 260 look fine?

260FRA Vicomte Desandrouin.uni
261FRA Comte de Malartic.uni

Generalisimo

Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:22 pm

It looks like Nikel is right, the problem must be the filenames and the "special characters" on them... ;)
"History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon."
Napoleon Bonaparte

BOA-AAR: ¡Abajo el imperialismo Británico! (en español)

AGEOD Facebook Fanpage - news & screenshots about the upcoming games!

lodilefty

Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:25 pm

Yes. The Units and Models have several files that include accent grave etc....

...major issues on non-French non-European systems....

simply rename those files

I'll speak to devs off-line
Always ask yourself: "Am I part of the Solution?" If you aren't, then you are part of the Problem!
[CENTER][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games[/CENTER]

Tomokatu
Conscript

Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:03 am

Gentlemen (and others)
[SIZE="5"][color="Red"]That was the answer.[/color][/size]

I had missed M. Sacré's name when scrolling the units list. The visible effect was exactly as I had described when reporting on the filename error in the Models list. The é plus the point (fullstop, period) had been replaced with the bullet (•). I assume that faiing to load the one file caused the software to report errors in all subsequent files.

Anyway, I have successfully loaded the game and walked through one turn of the tutorial.
I am satisfied.

I thank you for your diligent detective work.

Next question:
I looked through the modding forum and saw Stwa's offer of a King's English language mod, but couldn't find where the mod itself lives for downloading?

Would you please point me to the correct repository?
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Blessed are they who run around in circles
For they shall be known as Big Wheels.[/font]:papy:

Tomokatu
Conscript

Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:09 am

For Nikel

Tomokatu, are you japanese?
Not as such, but I often visit Japanese sites and even though I don't read the language, :confused: it's a lot easier to navigate if the page is displayed correctly, so I keep the (Shift-JIS) Japanese character set loaded.

It just means that occasionally certain two-character combinations display on-screen as kanji characters but that's never been a problem with running any software. :thumbsup:
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Blessed are they who run around in circles

For they shall be known as Big Wheels.[/font]:papy:

Brett W. Canfield
Civilian

Start-up 'serial not expected length' problem.

Fri Apr 22, 2011 8:39 pm

I am a new owner of BofA II.

I see that some others have had glitches when using B of A II, I have the problem that when I try to start the game, I get the window asking for my serial.

Is the serial the number on the back of the manual? If so, why doesn't it start? Or recognize my serial?

I downloaded a patch from the AGEOD site, ( the LOOONG one ) but it didn't seem to help.

Someone please answer this and help me get started. I don't have any more hair to pull out!!!:

Gray_Lensman

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:06 pm

If you bought the game in a box, the serial number should be somewhere in the contents. If you purchased the game thru download you should have received an email with a serial number. In either case, you have to have the serial number when you install the game on your computer or it won't run properly if at all. Applying a patch is not going to help to run it without the serial number.

Kuan
Civilian

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:23 pm

Tomokatu wrote:Gentlemen (and others)
[SIZE="5"][color="Red"]That was the answer.[/color][/size]

I had missed M. Sacré's name when scrolling the units list. The visible effect was exactly as I had described when reporting on the filename error in the Models list. The é plus the point (fullstop, period) had been replaced with the bullet (•). I assume that faiing to load the one file caused the software to report errors in all subsequent files.

I didn't find any file name with accented letters in the Units folder. Did I miss anything? Could somebody kindly check my game log, please? Thank in advance.
Attachments

Kuan
Civilian

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:32 pm

Nikel wrote:Tomokatu, are you japanese?

303 is Philippe Sacré and the é can be the problem, after renaming 261 the problem starts with 304, the one after what is probably the real problem, 303

I just found that this file is missing in my Units folder. Could anyone send me a copy of that file?

lodilefty

Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:39 pm

Kuan wrote:I didn't find any file name with accented letters in the Units folder. Did I miss anything? Could somebody kindly check my game log, please? Thank in advance.

Welcome to the AGEOD Forum!

It looks like you have not patched correctly, or otherwise have a corrupted install.

Best solution:

Uninstall the game, be sure you also completely delete the installation folder. [in your case: C:\Program Files\Birth of America]

Follow the install instructions here:
  1. Uninstall the game
  2. Use Explorer to find "Birth of America" folder under Program Files.
  3. Delete the "Birth of America" Directory and all it contains [you will lose saved games]
  4. Reinstall BOA, but change the default directory box to read "C:\AGEOD\Birth of America" [or any hard drive you wish]
  5. Download the latest patch from
    http://www.ageod.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=104
  6. Extract the patch file and run it [it should automatically go to the install location]
  7. Run BOA
:)
[CENTER][/CENTER]

Kuan
Civilian

Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:02 pm

Thanks for your response. The problem is now solved and the game works perfectly. What caused the errors was that I misplaced the 303. uni to the Models folder. Now I'm going to have fun with this game.

Return to “BoA Technical support / Aide technique”