Obediah
Corporal

Patch 1.09 / Steam

Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:47 pm

[font="Courier New"]Purchased the game this morning through Steam, then downloaded the patch from the BoA website -- here's my problem:

Into which folder do I install the patch? I tried it under [drive]: program files/valve/steam/steamapps/common/birth of america/boa/ That didn't work; it still plays ver. 1.08. :p leure: I'm sure there's an easy answer; hopefully, I won't need to call our "good friends" at Steam.[/font]
[color="Blue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]"I will fight so long as I have a leg or an arm." - George Washington, Brooklyn, Aug [/font]1776[/color]

Pocus

Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:36 pm

hi,

the game folder is Birth of America, whereas the mod folder is Birth of America\BoA (the vanilla data set is considered a mod).

So target
[drive]: program files/valve/steam/steamapps/common/birth of america/

and it should works.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Obediah
Corporal

Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:34 pm

[font="Courier New"]I tried as you suggested, but no joy there either. :p leure: After installing Patch 1.09 to [drive]: ... /Birth of America/, I started BoA; the first thing that happened was Steam asking if I wanted to install BoA! :tournepas : So, of course, I cliked the "yes" button, and it "installed" which took about 2 seconds! When that silliness finished, I restarted BoA and found that it's still running ver 1.08! :bonk:

Needless to say, I'm still playing 1.08! Now, if I could only win once in a while... :siffle: [/font]
[color="Blue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]"I will fight so long as I have a leg or an arm." - George Washington, Brooklyn, Aug [/font]1776[/color]

Pocus

Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:37 pm

I fear that you will ask the Steam team. From what you describe, you are obliged to connect to steam before playing BOA? Then Steam check the game, see that it is different from what is expected (after you apply the patch) and then reverse your changes.

Have you tried to run BOA.exe directly without using steam? If it works, then you should be able to bypass steam and apply the 1.09 patch.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Oahkoah
Civilian

Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:42 pm

The way that games played through Steam actually handles patches is through Steam itself. When a new patch is released then the next time someone logs onto their Steam account then the patch is automatically downloaded and applied.

I think that if the developers contact Valve, the guys who run STEAM, and enquire about how they can update the game then Valve will help them do it, as other third party games on Steam get updates this way.

Return to “BoA Technical support / Aide technique”