Black Friday Rule
Civilian

Just got the Game - Problem

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:19 am

I bought the game after trying the demo. I am a HUGE EU2 fan and figured I'd give this a try, especially since I love the time period and there really isn't any other game out there. I tried For Liberty, and I liked it, but this felt finished and polished whereas FL felt a little old school.

Anyway, two issues. I downloaded the game and the patch. When I start the game, I get a pop up error:

"TFileParser.PreLoad File Not Found. C:\Program Files\Birth Of America\BOA\Settings\Display.opt". I checked the directory and there is no "Display.opt" file.

I hit OK, the only choice, and it pops up about 5 times. Then I get another pop up box that says "Several Errors have been generated and this application is stalling. Would you like to terminate it?" There are three options to click, all in French :bonk: . No matter which button I hit, the game still loads and it seems playable. I would like to know what is causing this and how to fix it though.

The other issue I have is the music. The main theme is great... it's on my iPod! I love it. One of my favorite parts of EU2 was the music as well. Any chance of a patch or music update like EU2 put out that would add other similar pieces to the game? As it is, the theme plays and then is silent for a while. I usually turn off music and play the theme in a loop via WMP in the background for now... other music would be great.

I'm starting my first campaign... I'll let you know what I think of the game.

Jim

Pocus

Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:41 am

dang! To not overwrite the display settings of previous users, I removed the file from the new patch. Stupid I'm...

Please put the file below in your Birth of America\BoA\Settings directory. It should works after that.
Sorry for the hassle.

http://ageoddl.telechargement.fr/Display.opt

As for the music I don't quite know. If we find free of right songs, why not. You can also propose new ones.

edit: if you browser display you directly the file, save it with a 'save as' in the file menu of your browser.
I will try to update 1.09 with the file in the week.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Ashbery76
Sergeant

Tue Aug 08, 2006 2:25 pm

I have the same problem.Fresh install 1.00 with 1.4 mapupdate,then 1.9b.

I have tried that file and it still has the fault described by "Black Friday Rule".

Pocus

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:29 pm

Just tried on my side, and it works. The missing file is Display.opt (if you jump from 1.00 to 1.09) and putting it in the said directory repairs the problem. Please check that you added the file in the right directory.

I will post 1.09c tomorrow anyway.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Black Friday Rule
Civilian

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:36 pm

Hello,

Thank you very much, It worked.

Ashbery76, when I downloaded the file to the settings directory, it had the file name "display.opt.txt" for some reason... I just deleted the ".txt" at the end and it seemed to work fine.

As for the music, I would suggest something like what EU2 has. It is basically classical Barouque music. I don't know the ins and outs of what music is free to use.

I don't know if this would be possible or allowed, but I would be willing to make a "mod" for the game for people to upload if they wanted. If someone told me how to write a file that would tell the game what mp3 to play and when I would put together a collection of my EU2 songs I felt went with this time period and make it available for use.

I don't know if the fact that I'm just a gamer and made a mod would exclude me from the whole music right's issue?

Even if this wouldn't be allowed, can someone explain how to edit the game file that deals with sound? I know when EU2 put out a bonus music "patch" update they had a simple text file I think. I would rather have the game play the music than run WMP in the background. I have an old computer to begin with so the less running the better.

Thanks

Ashbery76
Sergeant

Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:07 pm

Ok,it worked this time.

Pocus

Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:48 am

I updated the patch 1.09 (same link) for people having the problem.

Return to “BoA Technical support / Aide technique”