Henry D.

Question: PBEM-players "whitelist"?

Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:01 pm

Evening!

Stemming from my recent experiences with several other players I came up with this odd idea:

How about setting up a kind of "whitelist" in which players can mention names of opponents whom to have played with they felt to be especially enjoyable, along with their reasons for their judgement? Surely, as as small as the community is now, that list might not be particulary long yet, but as time goes by and AGEod inevitably conquers the gaming universe :nuts: it might be a useful tool to identify the "best" opponents (in terms of fun) beforehand without excluding others. It would also be a nice way to give an opponent a well-deserved public :hat: in a "Hall of Fame" way.

Please note that I do not want to imply that people who have not yet "made the list" are not worth playing with, in any way! :innocent: :)

I would also be strongly opposed to setting up an opposite "blacklist" of players who in somebodies perception are "not fun" to play with. Reasons why people don't get along wiith each other are as many as they are subjective and while player A and player B might not relate too well to each other they may get off with player C or D respectively like a bonfire. Also the reasons why a player may be forced to slow down the pace of a game or break it off entirely are many and not easily to be judged fairly by others. Anyways, these are matters better not to be discussed in public, methinks.

Well, what do You think?

Regards, Henry
Henry D, also known as "Stauffenberg" @ Strategycon Interactive and formerly (un)known as "whatasillyname" @ Paradox Forums

"Rackers, wollt Ihr ewig leben?" (Rascals, Do You want to live forever?) - Frederick the Great, cursing at his fleeing Grenadiers at the battle of Kunersdorf

"Nee, Fritze, aber für fuffzehn Pfennije is' heute jenuch!" (No, Freddy, but for 15p let's call it a day!) - Retort of one passing Grenadier to the above :sourcil:

GShock

Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:09 pm

Absolutely approved. :)

Adlertag

Sun Sep 09, 2007 7:05 pm

Henry D. wrote:How about setting up a kind of "whitelist" in which players can mention names of opponents whom to have played with they felt to be especially enjoyable, along with their reasons for their judgement?

Don't you fear some kind of "competition" between players with their comments to please someone else or not to displease rather ?
La mort est un mur, mourir est une brèche.

Henry D.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:38 pm

Adlertag wrote:Don't you fear some kind of "competition" between players with their comments to please someone else or not to displease rather ?
Well, that might become a problem if people would take the whole thing to "seriously". But I would not want it to be seen as some kind of semi-official "rating system" (we're not at e-bay here, after all :sourcil: ). The :hat: -thing should be paramount, publically congratulating and thanking an opponent for a game particulary well and fair played, a little bit of friendly banter, that kind of stuff. Getting an overview about people who have generally a good standing with large parts of the community in this regard would be more of a welcome side effect.

The whole thing should be a little bit like the boards reputation system: Something to be proud of if it is high, but not really important and hopefully always a bit tongue-in-cheek... :nuts:

I generally got the feeling, that PBEM are too often "secret affairs" here. Giving them a little bit more publicity by having players talk about their positive experiences without having to write AARs (which is just to much of a hassle for many people, methinks) might enliven the PBEM-forum and encourage more people to get into PBEM themselves? Personally, since I got into PBEM, I haven't played one minute of single player anymore, and I wouldn't mind to "honour" those people that made me appreciate and enjoy multiplayer... :)

Regards, Henry
Henry D, also known as "Stauffenberg" @ Strategycon Interactive and formerly (un)known as "whatasillyname" @ Paradox Forums

"Rackers, wollt Ihr ewig leben?" (Rascals, Do You want to live forever?) - Frederick the Great, cursing at his fleeing Grenadiers at the battle of Kunersdorf

"Nee, Fritze, aber für fuffzehn Pfennije is' heute jenuch!" (No, Freddy, but for 15p let's call it a day!) - Retort of one passing Grenadier to the above :sourcil:

GShock

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:03 pm

It would be extremely interesting to develop on these very same boards a sort of ranking assigned by pbem players themselves to their opponents, based exclusively on reliability.

Not very different from the ebay rating, which is a key factor in that system. In this, you would know by that rating if you are gonna finish the game u started with a player or not...it would help to find a better player for the next matches.

In order to build it, all it takes is a page where every pbem player can declare when he is available and with what frequency. Then you pick the opponent that most suits your spare time needs for gaming very easily and, at the same time, you would see these opponents with a ranking based on their previous pbem matches ;)

No ratings to please/displease and no win/lost stats, just day/month availability and reliability ratings :)

Henry D.

Mon Sep 10, 2007 1:22 pm

GShock wrote:It would be extremely interesting to develop on these very same boards a sort of ranking assigned by pbem players themselves to their opponents, based exclusively on reliability.

Not very different from the ebay rating, which is a key factor in that system. In this, you would know by that rating if you are gonna finish the game u started with a player or not...it would help to find a better player for the next matches.

In order to build it, all it takes is a page where every pbem player can declare when he is available and with what frequency. Then you pick the opponent that most suits your spare time needs for gaming very easily and, at the same time, you would see these opponents with a ranking based on their previous pbem matches ;)

No ratings to please/displease and no win/lost stats, just day/month availability and reliability ratings :)

Yes, that sounds good, too. Maybe someone could even rig a ebay-esque voting system for the board? :sourcil:

Regards, Henry

Pocus

Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

on the WIKI perhaps?

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Rafiki

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:03 pm

The wiki itself might not be so suitable for this, I think (everyone being able to edit everything), but if anyone knows of a PBEM player website-thingy, I'd be happy to look into setting it up on the same webserver :)
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

Return to “PBEM and multiplayer matchups (all games)”