Vadim
Corporal

Beginnner looking for opponent

Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 am

Hello,

I bought the game for christmas and my experience is limited to 8-10 hrs against IA. I would like to start PBEM as soon as possible because RUS is a very good game and should be even better against a human !
No preference regarding side/campaign, any suggestions are welcome.

Regards,

V.

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:25 pm

I'll play anything in any scenario, barring the two short campaigns (Finland and Ice March).
If I may, I'd like to play the Reds. The Kolchak's Coup scenario is fairly balanced IIRC.

Metatron

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:57 pm

Glad to help, any side any scenario.

If learning a white faction would be preferable for you in grand campaign, preferably southern whites.

Usually playing with historical attrition, small or medium delay battle and medium or hard activation rules, that's not everyone's preference ^^

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 pm

No, nobody use activation rules, those are for schmucks. It just messes up gameplay for everyone.

Metatron

Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:52 pm

Activation rule is more accurate and challenging, but in RUS it's mainly a concern for red player so it can be disrupting for gameplay that's true but in my opinion only for the grand campaign. For a learning game not a priority I guess ^^

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:28 pm

The activation rule is shit in any scenario. Armies not moving for two months and starving to death is just nonsensical.

Durk

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:40 am

Hi guys,
Not meaning to just jump in, but I do agree with Metatron that activation rules are more accurate and challenging. Hard activation for real history buffs, medium for those who like the flavor of leader differences but cannot stand leaders just standing around. No activation limits make the leader qualities much less meaningful. If Metatron is looking for a Red who will accept leader limits, I would put forward myself.
It presents challenges when you leaders are unreliable. This does make it much more difficult to win as Reds, but it does add so much to the dimension of game play if leaders do not always follow your orders.
Vadim, did you expect you would spark such a debate?
Durk

Vadim
Corporal

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:35 am

Hello all !

You are right Durk I didn t excpect that my thread turn out to be such a "hot" one :D -let s say it shows the passion displays by most of AGEOD fan.

My usual settings are : historical attrition on and medium delay/medium activation limit. I never played with high activation before ( i aslo play AJE and in the past I had a quick look at ACCW and WIA). I never tried the hard one before, I certainly will one day but first on AJE then RUS.

As Metaton and Anders seem to have two irreconcilable positions,and that Durk aslo favor limiations, my suggestions are the following:

Me + Anders
Historical attrition on, delay medium, no activation limit
Kolchak's scenario, Anders Red and I Southern White.

Me+Metatron+Durk
Histo attrition on, delay and activation on medium.
Kolchack's scenario as well, Durk Red, Metatron Siberian and I Southern.

I can play at least 2 turns/day. I live in Asia so my time zone is probably different than yours but it shoudlnt be such a problem.

(and by the way, the Chinese flag in the game is totally unaccurate, it should be the early republican one with five stripes on it, not the Qing one. Didnt feel to start a thread about such a useful topic but as I am writing about RUS...).

Orel
Brigadier General

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:55 am

Greetings Vadim, if Metatron does not wish to participate due to the absence of the activation I would be willing to volunteer to be his substitute for the Siberians.

If you want a suggestion by the way, why not you have two games: one with me and anders and one with Durk and Metatron. Especially if you live in Asia having a unique time zone and you can make two turns per day.
For united Russia!

Vadim
Corporal

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:10 am

Hello Orel,

My idea is about having two games, with Durk and Metatron because I wont miss an opportunity to have a 3 players PBEM , and also wanted to play with Anders as he showed some interess earlier. But yes, two 3players PBEM instead of one sounds even better !

So new suggestion,

one game Durk/Metatron/Me with medium A/D rules and the other Anders/You/Me with no activation rule?

Durk

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:31 am

Vadim,
Do you have enough information to set up these two games?
If so, let's go for it. If not, let us know.
Durk

Philo32b
Captain

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:36 am

Even though progress was being made on the multiplayer game issue, I can't help but jump in on the activation issue raised. It is indeed illogical that a unit starving would sit still. I agree. But in other cases the activation rule is perfectly historical: At the outset of WWI in the East, for example, Rennenkampf had only to move forward and easily link up with Samsonov's army and the Germans would have been pushed back to the Vistula. But instead, he sat there for too long for a number of reasons and the Germans were able to focus all on Samsonov and destroy his army. I can see that scenario happening in an AGEOD game, to its credit. It would be extremely frustrating, to a player, but realistic.

Lack of supplies, though, should inspire people to move, so perhaps AGEOD could have a factor that makes complete inactivation (being locked down) less likely if supplies are low, even if the combat/movement penalities from inactivation are still present in that case. On the whole with the way things now stand, though, activation is probably more historically accurate that not.

Vadim
Corporal

Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:54 am

Durk,

I think I will host the games because it seems easier but if someone care about he can host, not a problem for me.

Now I need to collect ( private me if you want) everyone's email and hopefully we will start today ( evening most likely).
Or dropbox?

Orel
Brigadier General

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 am

Philo32b wrote:Even though progress was being made on the multiplayer game issue, I can't help but jump in on the activation issue raised. It is indeed illogical that a unit starving would sit still. I agree. But in other cases the activation rule is perfectly historical: At the outset of WWI in the East, for example, Rennenkampf had only to move forward and easily link up with Samsonov's army and the Germans would have been pushed back to the Vistula. But instead, he sat there for too long for a number of reasons and the Germans were able to focus all on Samsonov and destroy his army. I can see that scenario happening in an AGEOD game, to its credit. It would be extremely frustrating, to a player, but realistic.

Lack of supplies, though, should inspire people to move, so perhaps AGEOD could have a factor that makes complete inactivation (being locked down) less likely if supplies are low, even if the combat/movement penalities from inactivation are still present in that case. On the whole with the way things now stand, though, activation is probably more historically accurate that not.

Philo32b, I have thoroughly studied the Eastern Prussian operation and can make a verdict that this is not exactly true. If you want I can send you a personal message concerning this operation but reality is very different from the most widely known version.

In reality, there is no such thing similar to activation problems.
For united Russia!

Orel
Brigadier General

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:01 am

Vadim wrote:Durk,

I think I will host the games because it seems easier but if someone care about he can host, not a problem for me.

Now I need to collect ( private me if you want) everyone's email and hopefully we will start today ( evening most likely).
Or dropbox?

I can host, if you would like.

My email is: desertbear33@gmail.com
For united Russia!

Vadim
Corporal

Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:08 am

Orel wrote:I can host, if you would like.

My email is: desertbear33@gmail.com

You will host then - I will send you my email, and now we have to wait for Anders.

le Anders
Lieutenant Colonel

Wed Jan 09, 2013 3:46 pm

I'll PM it to you.

Metatron

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:04 pm

I actually have two RUS pbem's in progress against le Anders so things are not always what they seem ^^ Didn't meant to cause so much trouble with my activation rule remark, just wanted to point out my preferences lol When you play with hard activation rule playing no activation rule is no problem.

The game with durk is ok with me, I sent a PM for contact.

Vadim
Corporal

Wed Jan 09, 2013 4:27 pm

Perfect :thumbsup: ! Game with no activation rule ( Orel/Anders/I) just started, once Durk send me his email I will start the middle activation rule one - would have to change the name of the save otherwise I might get confused, both have same map/and same side for me .

Return to “PBEM and multiplayer matchups (all games)”