marcusjm
Colonel

Pride of nations matchup

Tue May 24, 2011 3:25 pm

Hi all,

I haven't done much multiplayer yet (mostly due to waiting for THE game for me, PON).

Since PON is soon out I thought I would start early with recruitment for some kind of regular "tuesday" game with maybe 1 hour per session. I guess since summer is up we would have to start slow but I am all for a long term game.

We don't know anything about stability/bugs yet either but given the previous games I think we are safe for now ;) .

Also, I plan to make some kind of AAR page for this game in order to do some "advertising" for this potential masterpiece.

John Sedgwick
Colonel

Wed May 25, 2011 2:05 pm

Hi marcusjm,

If you're looking for more than one opponent for a multiplayer session, I'd be interested in playing one of the lesser powers (e.g. Japan or Sardinia-Piedmont, or maybe the Ottoman Empire if possible), but I can't make any ironclad commitments since I'm not sure where I'll be after this summer. Anyway, I'm definitely interested in an epic MP game, and would likely do some kind of AAR as well, as long as you don't mind the possibility that I may have to let the AI take over for me every now and then.
"I'm ashamed of you, dodging that way. They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance."ImageImage
ImageImageImageImageImage

marcusjm
Colonel

Wed May 25, 2011 10:04 pm

Not sure if Ottoman Empire is playable but Sardinia is. We could always try a scenario to start. So far we have two interested plus me.

DooberGuy
Lieutenant

Mon May 30, 2011 12:11 am

I'm totally down to get a MP game started early. I'm in California so my timing might be a little off for European players, but if that's not a problem I'd love to play. I'd like to play as USA if I can, but I'm down to play any nation really.

montgomeryjlion
Captain

Mon May 30, 2011 12:38 am

I'm in also, from the eastern US. Any time of day, since I'm in long term recuperation mode. Any country is fine. But I'll volunteer for Prussia.

poweraxe

Mon May 30, 2011 8:34 pm

I'm in! :) I'm from Europe, time differences are not a problem for me. I'm fine with any country, but I'd like to play as Austria.

poweraxe

Mon May 30, 2011 8:41 pm

I'm in! :) I'm from Europe, time differences are not a problem for me. I'm fine with any country, but I'd like to play as Austria.

poweraxe

Mon May 30, 2011 8:42 pm

I'm in! :) I'm from Europe, time differences are no problem for me. I'm fine with any country, but I'd like to play as Austria.

lordWilhelm
Civilian

Tue May 31, 2011 3:39 am

If we can play PBEM (i.e., not simultaneous), I'm all in as well. I'd be up for England.

Seraphim
Corporal

Tue May 31, 2011 6:45 am

If we can play PBEM, count me in.
I'll volunteer for France.

marcusjm
Colonel

Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:36 pm

Well for this I was thinking tcp/ip for maybe 1-2 hours every tuesday or something. I just use tuesday because it seems to be a good day for the guys over at paradox to do their regular mp-sessions ;) . According to the pros it is actually easier to find time on a tuesday due to people having family obligations etc. If we are to calculate someone from US ET then it would be somewhat late, maybe 9 or 10 pm GMT?

Playing the full campaign in pbem would be quite hopeless I think ;) .

I can do UK (poorly I guess but someone has to do it).

So we could perhaps so far see

The goal would be to fill up the majors at least so we get any kind of meaningful diplomacy. I can do UK(after some initial training sessions of course). If can get someone to do Russia then we could be set for a good time :) .

DooberGuy: Recalculating your time to GMT, what is the earliest possible time you could make?

marcusjm
Colonel

Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:58 pm

Seems I made a mistake about the tcp ip.

Would everyone here be ok with the dropbox systen? We could perhaps dedicate one day to more intense exchanes and then maybe one turn a day for the rest?

DooberGuy
Lieutenant

Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:23 am

Well, I calculated it out and it doesn't really look tenable for me. I'm just too far off in time from Europe. I probably should have looked it up before, but I don't get off from work till like 1 am your time, sorry guys. :(

Seraphim
Corporal

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:46 pm

It will be difficult for me too: I’m also in Europe.
Why not just play by mail? After all this game is constructed for PBEM…
Indeed, at one turn per day it will take us years: is it possible to make something like two turns per day?

montgomeryjlion
Captain

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:47 pm

I'm in the US but my schedule is wide open since I work from Home and generally work when I want to so playing on a European Schedule is not a major issue, at least for me.
I think we need to get as many turns in as possible per day/week if we hope to even get up to the FPW time period before its' 150th anniversary. :)
Actually, during the day (Evening European time is best for me anyway.
So, pick a day, pick a country, (I volunteer for Prussia or France) and let's get this started on Tuesday or Wednesday. I think the best is to start fast so we all have even skill, or lack thereof.
Monty

poweraxe

Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Seems like a good idea to me to use dropbox for PBEM. It should make it easy to exchange the turn and order files. Whoever is going to host can create a shared dropbox folder and invite everyone else to that folder.

lordWilhelm
Civilian

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:23 am

Sounds like someone else volunteered for England...

I can be either USA or Russia in that case. I'd prefer USA.

Dropbox is good and we could have daily/two-day deadlines.

marcusjm
Colonel

Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:44 pm

Dooberguy and others, I am working on a model that could make thia viable even with time diff. Seraphim, it will be like pbem even with dropbox.

My suggestion is that we get warm in the clothes with some battle scen. Might be riscy starting big with patches roun the corner.

Narwhal

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:20 pm

Good luck for your game. In 1 hour a week and 5 turns an hour, it will be over in a little more than 6 years :)

marcusjm
Colonel

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:46 pm

10 turns a week makes it 170 days though.

But then, I have had AD&D campaigns lasting for 10 years so nothing is impossible ;)

Narwhal

Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:27 pm

marcusjm wrote:10 turns a week makes it 170 days though.

But then, I have had AD&D campaigns lasting for 10 years so nothing is impossible ;)

Night Below : An Underdark Campaign ? All my players died in that Kua-Tua city - after 18 months of playing :)

marcusjm
Colonel

Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:28 pm

Narwhal wrote:Night Below : An Underdark Campaign ? All my players died in that Kua-Tua city - after 18 months of playing :)

Totally custom world in this case ;) .

Seraphim
Corporal

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:48 am

Unfortunately we can’t all play with battle scen: they are 1vs1 (or 2vs1 in some case).

Let’s start a GC, I’m not afraid by the length nor by the future patchs and we will have plenty of time for solo training with battle scen or GC.
In any case, I just installed PON so I’m ready. I will take France if no objection. :dada:

marcusjm
Colonel

Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:17 am

Well, it is not like we are limited to one single game ;) .

I think 1vs1 is a good way to get the hang of the quite complicated procedure for exchanging files etc. I am in the process of designing something that could at least make it easier. Somewhat surprised that AGE thinks this is user friendly but not much to do about it now.

The campaign game would make no sense to start before the first round of patches are out anyway.

poweraxe

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:41 pm

marcusjm wrote:I think 1vs1 is a good way to get the hang of the quite complicated procedure for exchanging files etc. I am in the process of designing something that could at least make it easier.

I guess we can do one of the battle scenarios first. Let me know when you're up for that.

poweraxe

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:43 pm

marcusjm wrote:I think 1vs1 is a good way to get the hang of the quite complicated procedure for exchanging files etc. I am in the process of designing something that could at least make it easier.

Good idea. I guess we can play one of the battle scenarios first. Let me know when you're up for that.

marcusjm
Colonel

Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Give me 1 or 2 days just to get some feeling for the engine, I did not play the demo too much so it is still fairly fresh to me.

Plus. I have something in the works that could in theory make this process easier, not super easy but easier ;) . I will test with my self first then put it to test with you for instance.

lordWilhelm
Civilian

Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:56 am

I think we need to be realistic. A GC PBEM game is going to take a long time and we just have to recognize that. I'm still up for the GC game if other people are interested as well.

I'll be USA.

marcusjm
Colonel

Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:40 pm

Of course but that is also why I would like to wait for a few patches first, how fun is it to restart a 1700+ turn game ;) .

A battle scenario meanwhile should be nice. I hope they make some shorter campaign scenarios as well so one can finish a game during ones lifetime.

Count Mokusffy
Conscript

Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:37 am

Hello everyone! I`m a beginner PON enthusiast looking for a Grand Campaign PBEM: are there still places for a late customer? :)

Return to “PBEM and multiplayer matchups (all games)”