veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:19 am

I actually think a combination of the two systems could be good... Obivously McClellan is an exceptionnal case, and I think that for the first say year of the game ( if its the june 1861 start date ), his removal should be too expensive to do.. Then a decrease in political price...

But preventing early promotion before generals gain seniority using a combination of the two tools would be fantastic :
- ie you have generals with an established reputation at the beginning of the war who assume high command positions from the start...
- Then you have generals with less seniority that will have to earn their seniority on the field to get promoted... Even if they have good capabilities in game, an early promotion should trigger a significant albeit not crippling diminishing of capabilities to represent the fact that they are not trusted by their subordinates, perceived as the President's boy, etc...

say a guy like Forrest promoted too early wouldn't be 6-6-2 but 5-4-2 ( make it a bit of a random loss from 0 to 2 for each factor... ) So promoting a guy too early earns you a double whammy...

Anyway I don't know how exactly the system will work, but you should have a threshold that needs to be crossed in term of seniority for a general to be eligible for promotion.

PDF

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:06 pm

Yep that was the idea, though I expressed it less clearly than you veji1. Thanks ! :sourcil:

Another possibility should be to make promotions non-automatic, ie have only X% chance to actually get it (% will depend on demoted and promoted general's seniority as well as POL values), but with the associated cost paid (at least partly, say 50%) even if it fails !
The failure chance will represent all of the political/diplomatic factors (with governors, army staff, soldiers and people) that could lead to failure to have the general actually promoted and are not really represented ingame.

So players will think twice before demoting any general for a better one, without being sure it'll work...

Pocus

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:43 pm

as you say, little Napo is a special case, so the special rule.

Promotion is not at your will, even if you are Lincoln or Davis. You can only promote a general if he is of seniority 1 or 2, or if he gained 4 points in seniority thru glorious action.

In this game you can't promote Sherman to army command in 61, or put away McClellan and place Grant in his seat before Bull Run, sorry :nuts:

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

marecone

Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Pocus wrote:as you say, little Napo is a special case, so the special rule.

Promotion is not at your will, even if you are Lincoln or Davis. You can only promote a general if he is of seniority 1 or 2, or if he gained 4 points in seniority thru glorious action.

In this game you can't promote Sherman to army command in 61, or put away McClellan and place Grant in his seat before Bull Run, sorry :nuts:

It sounds good to me. We will be able to judge more clearly after we test versions where all generals are in the game.
Just my two cents
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:10 pm

Ah great than... I didn't really understand how seniority worked.. Good.. If the system is well balanced... How does one earn seniority : Through victory ? through fighting ? Through capturing objectives ? I guess the important thing here is to prevent as much as possible gamey tactics such as having your good generals focusing on objective capturing just for them to earn seniority, of having them lead petty cavalry fights to rack up seniority or things like these...

marecone

Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:15 pm

They get it through victories. They can even get it if they lost a battle. Like for example, 2 corps from one army fight the battle. Few generals here. One can lose seniority but other can gain if he performed well.
Pocus will correct me if I said something wronf :sourcil: .

As for the raids I just wanted to suggest to get seniority for that too. Ofcourse much slower then through battles. Like if Forrest destroys 4 depots and get few towns and destroys 10 RR's then I belive in real life it would be recognized.
Just my two cents
Forrest said something about killing a Yankee for each of his horses that they shot. In the last days of the war, Forrest had killed 30 of the enemy and had 30 horses shot from under him. In a brief but savage conflict, a Yankee soldier "saw glory for himself" with an opportunity to kill the famous Confederate General... Forrest killed the fellow. Making 31 Yankees personally killed, and 30 horses lost...

He remarked, "I ended the war a horse ahead."

Return to “Officers room”