Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

John C. Pemberton

Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:18 pm

143 CSA John C. Pemberton ldr_CSA_Pemberton3 NULL NULL NULL NULL 8 5 3 10 General 1 NULL 4 0 1
151 CSA John C. Pemberton ldr_CSA_Pemberton2 NULL NULL NULL NULL 8 5 2 7 General 1 NULL 4 0 1
186 CSA John C. Pemberton ldr_CSA_Pemberton NULL NULL NULL NULL 3 5 1 13 General 1 NULL 4 0 1

Pemberton was promoted to lieutenant general on October 10, 1862, and assigned to defend the fortress city of Vicksburg, Mississippi, and the Mississippi River. Facing the aggressive Union commander Major General Ulysses S. Grant in the Vicksburg Campaign, Pemberton was out-numbered, but significantly out-generaled as well. After Grant surprised him by crossing the Mississippi River south of the city, he defeated Pemberton and Joseph E. Johnston in a number of battles through central Mississippi, eventually besieging Pemberton in Vicksburg. Although advised to escape with his army, sacrificing the city, Pemberton held firm for over six weeks, while soldiers and civilians were starved into submission. (Pemberton, well aware of his reputation as a northerner by birth, was probably influenced by his fear of public condemnation as a traitor if he abandoned Vicksburg.) On July 4, 1863, he surrendered the city and his army to Grant, resulting in a terrible strategic loss for the Confederacy.

I propose 3-1-1 or 2-1-1 with Fort Defender
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Chris0827
General

Thu Feb 22, 2007 9:27 pm

I'd go even lower. 2-0-1

nytram01
Conscript

Fri May 22, 2009 4:04 am

Again I'm dragging up old threads and I appoligize for it but I would like to point out that John C. Pemberton was a very good administrator and did create a very solid base of operations and military force in both South Carolina and Mississippi. He wasn't cut out to be a field commander but would have made an excelent chief of staff. He didn't do a bad job as an artillery man either.

Chaplain Lovejoy
Brigadier General

Sat May 23, 2009 7:42 pm

nytram01 wrote:He wasn't cut out to be a field commander but would have made an excellent chief of staff.

Sounds like McClellan as well.

woodcojb
Conscript

Pemberton

Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:04 pm

I think Pemberton had a decent grasp of strategy and was good at fortifying his posts at Vicksburg and in Charleston earlier. Secesionville and the Holly Springs raid were his idea. I agree with with granting him mediocre 3-1-1 stats with the fort defender trait for Charleston and Chickasaw Bluffs.

Return to “Officers room”