frank7350
Brigadier General

August Willich

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:36 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Willich

347 USA August Willich ldr_USA_Willich $Surpriser NULL NULL NULL 0 0 1 55 General 1 NULL 5 5 4

Willich was born in Braunsberg, Prussia. His father was a captain in the hussars.Initially an artillery officer in the Prussian military, he resigned from the army in 1846 as a convinced republican. A member of the Communist League, he took an active part in the revolution of 1848–49. With the outbreak of the Civil War, in early 1861 Willich actively recruited German immigrants in the southwestern Ohio region. He joined the 9th Ohio Infantry ("Die Neuner") as the regimental adjutant with the rank of first lieutenant, and was promoted to major in August of that year. He served in western Virginia, seeing action at the Battle of Rich Mountain, as well as at Carnifex Ferry. Willich then returned to the Ohio River valley over the winter and resumed his recruiting activities. Governor Oliver P. Morton commissioned Willich as Colonel of the 32nd Indiana (an all-German regiment), and he led it at the Battle of Shiloh in the spring of 1862. There, he led a decisive bayonet attack that helped secure victory on the second day of battle.

Rewarded by a promotion to brigadier general in July 1862, Willich fought at the Battle of Perryville under Maj. Gen. Don Carlos Buell in Kentucky. He commanded the 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, XIV Corps in December at the Battle of Stones River. He was captured by the Confederates when his horse was shot out from under him. He was sent to Libby Prison for four months, but was paroled and exchanged in May 1863. Returning to the Federal army later that year, he was assigned to command of the 1st Brigade, 2nd Division, XX Corps and served with distinction during the Tullahoma Campaign. He led a division at the Battle of Chickamauga and saw additional action during the Chattanooga Campaign.

In 1864, Willich led his brigade through Tennessee and Georgia during the Atlanta Campaign. He suffered a severe wound during the Battle of Resaca that forced him to leave the field. For the rest of the war, he served in various administrative roles, commanding Union posts in Cincinnati, Covington, Kentucky, and Newport, Kentucky. He received a brevet promotion to major general of U.S. Volunteers on October 21, 1865, then resigned from the army to return to civilian life.

I think he's rated a bit too highly....I would suggest:

347 USA August Willich ldr_USA_Willich NULL NULL NULL 0 0 1 55 General 1 NULL 3 2 2

PhilThib

Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:41 pm

I shall keep the $Surpriser ability: indeed, Willich will be a built-in, non-detachable general within the Horn brigade, which enters play via scripted event...

I'll maintain the ability to represent the effects of the buggle commands and surprise effect if had on the Rebs :cwboy:

Return to “Officers room”