rickd79
Colonel

John George Walker (CSA)

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:04 pm

John George Walker (CSA):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_George_Walker

I was just looking through the Antietam order of battle and came across him (I admit I'm not very familar with his accomplishments)

"In November 1862, Walker was promoted to major general and transferred to the Trans-Mississippi Department, where he was given command of 12 Texas regiments, numbering 12,000 men, training at Camp Nelson in Arkansas. Walker formed the regiments into a Division, which earned the nickname "Walker's Greyhounds" for their ability to move quickly over many miles on foot. From November 1862 until the end of the war, the Greyhounds were formed exclusively of soldiers from Texas, and did not leave the Trans-Mississippi Department."

It sounds like he might be a good candidate for "Fast_Move" or "Training_Officer."

Ol' Choctaw

Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:58 pm

It was the Texas Division he took over. It was constituted as a division in Arkansas in Jun 62 by Henry McCulloch (Ben’s younger brother) it was 4 brigades of 20 regiments (12 infantry the rest cavalry, mostly dismounted cavalry, and three batteries of artillery.

McCulloch took charge of Texas troops being moved to Arkansas in Dec 61. He marched them up, organized and trained them.

Jeff Davis did not like the McCulloch brothers, but he certainly knew their worth. He just didn’t miss any opportunities to slight them.

There was nothing wrong with Walker as a General, but the fast moving also goes to McCulloch and the division he formed, The Texas Greyhounds.

Gen.DixonS.Miles
Captain

Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:26 am

I was just reading about him while I was skimming through some reports. Very interesting he went to Texas. Need to study these "Greyhounds" it seems.
“In my opinion, Colonel Miles was a drunkard, a coward and a traitor, and if I had the power I would have had the United States buttons taken from his coat.”

Elble, Sigmund-Soldier with the 3rd U.S. Infantry

Elble, an officer on the frontier who knew Miles well

Return to “Officers room”