Spharv2

Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:26 pm

179 CSA John B. Magruder ldr_CSA_Magruder NULL NULL NULL NULL 2 2 1 6 General 1 NULL 4 1 0

Okay, here's my pet peeve. John Bankhead Magruder - 1 Off. 0 def?

Magruder was a solid commander who, after the Seven Days campaign was falsly accused of drunkenness, and shipped out of the ANV, but in the time leading up to that, he proved himself to be a solid leader (At least as solid as any of the other CSA generals in that horrible display of uncoordinated moves)

He begs for another ability to be added to the list, Deceiver or Screener, something along those lines. This would be the generals who made their armies appear to be larger by use of countermarching, quaker guns, a little of this and that. Jackson was good at this, but the single best performance was Magruder at the beginning of the Penninsular Campaign when McClellan landed nearly 100,000 troops and faced Magruder with 8,000, soon to be reinforced to 16,000. For over a month, Magruder ran his men ragged marching and building defensive positions, making McClellan think he didn't outnumber Magruder by nearly 8-1.

That aside, Magruder performed well later in the war, though he was never given a larger command because he had incurred the displeasure of Robert E. Lee, and did not get along with his superiors as well as he should have. Regardless, at least give the man a decent defensive rating, if only for the incredible job he did on the penninsula.

PhilThib

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:08 pm

I would appreciate you do make some numerical suggestion for his values / traits... thanks :coeurs:

Chris0827
General

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:48 pm

PhilThib wrote:I would appreciate you do make some numerical suggestion for his values / traits... thanks :coeurs:

I'd suggest offensive 2 defensive 3 for Magruder and possibly the surpriser ability. His capture of Galveston was one of the more famous of the war's surprise attacks.

Spharv2

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:10 pm

I would go for those numbers. I'd love to go higher on defense, but his body of work is relatively small. I just know it because I did a 50 page research paper on him in college. :)

Pocus

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:44 am

Deceiver/Screener: something along the line of giving more hiding and/or evasion value to the stack he commands can be added. As for our ealier discussion about a sophisticated dummy units ability, Spharv2, I have not forget it, but lack of time prevented anything, code-wise. Can be definitively refined in a near patch though.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:54 am

[color="SeaGreen"]179 CSA John B. Magruder ldr_CSA_Magruder $Surpriser NULL NULL NULL 2 2 1 6 General 1 NULL 4 2 3[/color]

OK
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Spharv2

Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:04 pm

Pocus wrote:Deceiver/Screener: something along the line of giving more hiding and/or evasion value to the stack he commands can be added. As for our ealier discussion about a sophisticated dummy units ability, Spharv2, I have not forget it, but lack of time prevented anything, code-wise. Can be definitively refined in a near patch though.

Good to hear. I didn't want to bug you about it, I know your time is precious right now. :)

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:13 pm

Ok
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference." Mark Twain

Korrigan
AGEod Guard of Honor

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:38 pm

179 CSA John B. Magruder ldr_CSA_Magruder $Surpriser $Deceiver NULL NULL 2 2 1 6 General 1 NULL 3 2 3

Return to “Officers room”