d0mbo
Private
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:15 am

When do replacement regiments deplete/get used?

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:07 am

That's the question. Let me elaborate.

Playing as the CSA, after a few turns you automatically get the mobilisation of your two virginian Armies (Shenadoah and Potomac - the CSA one).

These start depleted and need replacements. The bulk of these armies is infantry (line) so i order a lot of line inf. replacements. I order a few artillery pieces as well. now here comes the deal.

My armies (well the one in richmond anyway) reinforces nicely, but he number of line infantry replacements doesnt go down. However, the artillery replacements ARE gone. Why the difference?

So the question is: when does a replacement get "used" from the replacement screen, and when does it not?

Hope someone can answer this question.

d0mbo.

User avatar
Skibear
Lieutenant
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:09 pm
Location: Prague, CZ

Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:22 am

The quick answer is that the number of line replacements appears not to go down as in the first months you get some free line companies. Not sure exactly how many, sure somebody can elaborate. However, basically you are building and recieving free replacements faster than they are being used. Sure they will get used before long though... :D
However you dont get free artillery replacements so thats why these one you build will be will be depleted.

On a side note, the Richmond army will fill with replacements faster, and as a priority I believe as it is in a depot structure. Then shenandoah army is in the open, so it will fill with some replacements depending on the game settings you choose, but much slower. You need to get that army to a depot soon as possible.

On another side note, units set to passive recieve priority for replacements if available.
"Stay low, move fast"

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Barcelona-Catalunya

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:23 am

You get free replacements from may to september

TOTAL:
22 line infantry
24 militias
10 cavalry

so seem to you they dont deplete...

Every 1000-2000 troops replaced needs a replacement point, but there is some random...

User avatar
Jabberwock
Posts: 2204
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 12:12 am
Location: Weymouth, MA
Contact: ICQ

Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:25 am

There are more depleted artillery on the map. Fort batteries (the emplaced ones, not the Coastal guns) count towards the field artillery category, and they are inside structures ... so they also have priority over the Shenandoah force.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]

Image

User avatar
Skibear
Lieutenant
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:09 pm
Location: Prague, CZ

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:12 am

...but if the shenandoah force is set to passive does this increase its likelyhood of getting replacements? Or do those in a structure still get priority?

And my next question does Jabberwock ever sleep? :) ) Arent you in Maine? :tournepas
"Stay low, move fast"

User avatar
Rafiki
Posts: 5811
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:19 am
Location: Oslo, Norway

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:16 am

I was under the impression that posture was the only thing that differentiated when prioritizing replacements ("passive" first, "assault" last), and that within each posture, replacement prioritization between elements is random?
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE
Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER]

User avatar
Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:32 pm
Contact: Website

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:18 am

Skibear wrote:And my next question does Jabberwock ever sleep? :) ) Arent you in Maine? :tournepas


His profile says Massachusets ... but it's no difference timezone-wise. :)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]
Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)
[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]
American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

User avatar
Jabberwock
Posts: 2204
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 12:12 am
Location: Weymouth, MA
Contact: ICQ

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:49 am

I take naps occasionally, but I rarely sleep through an entire night.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]



Image

User avatar
Rafiki
Posts: 5811
Joined: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:19 am
Location: Oslo, Norway

Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:58 am

Image

I can't make out any of the titles, but I'm pretty sure you'll find Foote and friends in that stack :D
[CENTER]Latest patches: AACW :: NCP :: WIA :: ROP :: RUS :: PON :: AJE

Visit AGEWiki - your increasingly comprehensive source for information about AGE games

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[/CENTER]

d0mbo
Private
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:15 am

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:01 pm

Thanks for the replies guys.

So basically the mobilization of men as the CSA is free for the first few months (because of the free replacements you receive); however, materiel should be ordered in the replacement box.

Your remarks above have led me to two other questions.

1) When purchasing a new (regular) unit (reinforcement), it starts out depleted as well. Do THESE units use the replacement pool as well, during their training/formation? (meaning you need the MP twice, the base cost of raising, and then the replacements during training).

2) Ahhhh... the army of Shenandoah.... it's locked the first turns, and unfortunately it gets attacked by union forces the turn it's unlocked. because it's outside a depot, it's understrength. What's the best strategy here?

User avatar
Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:32 pm
Contact: Website

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:05 pm

d0mbo wrote:1) When purchasing a new (regular) unit (reinforcement), it starts out depleted as well. Do THESE units use the replacement pool as well, during their training/formation? (meaning you need the MP twice, the base cost of raising, and then the replacements during training).


I asked that too. The answer was NO, they don't use up replacements, because as you say, you paid for them already. They just fill out automatically over time. (How much time, you can figure out by hovering the mouse over the unit in question.)
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)

[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]

American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

MarkCSA
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:05 pm

d0mbo wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

So basically the mobilization of men as the CSA is free for the first few months (because of the free replacements you receive); however, materiel should be ordered in the replacement box.

Your remarks above have led me to two other questions.

1) When purchasing a new (regular) unit (reinforcement), it starts out depleted as well. Do THESE units use the replacement pool as well, during their training/formation? (meaning you need the MP twice, the base cost of raising, and then the replacements during training).

2) Ahhhh... the army of Shenandoah.... it's locked the first turns, and unfortunately it gets attacked by union forces the turn it's unlocked. because it's outside a depot, it's understrength. What's the best strategy here?


Answer 2) Pray that it doesn't get attacked, then rail it down two 'territories' (off the top of my head) to the lvl 2 City behind a river with a depot, and wait for it to gather strength (after ordering some replacements).

d0mbo
Private
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:15 am

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:08 pm

haha.

ok then.

Then i'd better start praying now to influence my campaign this evening ;)

do prayers at work count?

User avatar
Jabberwock
Posts: 2204
Joined: Thu May 31, 2007 12:12 am
Location: Weymouth, MA
Contact: ICQ

Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:51 pm

d0mbo wrote:2) Ahhhh... the army of Shenandoah.... it's locked the first turns, and unfortunately it gets attacked by union forces the turn it's unlocked. because it's outside a depot, it's understrength. What's the best strategy here?


Destroy some railroads to the north of this region with units that activate earlier ... and then run for cover.
[color="DimGray"] You deserve to be spanked[/color]



Image

MarkCSA
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:35 pm

d0mbo wrote:haha.

ok then.

Then i'd better start praying now to influence my campaign this evening ;)

do prayers at work count?


They do.

What also helps is drawing a map of the U.S. and planning a few moves ahead while you appear to be deep in thought.

Just mumble under your voice: 'This Corps goes here, that one goes there, dig in behind the river, cavalry mops up, all shipping to the Gulf.' I have already figured out that tonight I will liberate Missouri and Kentucky, while mopping up the guys in that Fort in Florida!

You can (in my experience) make life a lot easier for yourself by sticking the entire Army of the Potomac (or whatever the one headed by Beauregard is called) just below the river and dig in deep there. With two Corps to block the other 2 provinces. So Johnston goes down 2 spots, Beauregard goes to Fredericksburg and a General of your choice (high def) goes to the province in the middle. 30k to 40k troops in each unit ought to be enough to repel any and all comers. Make 2 Corps so that they can help each other out.

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Barcelona-Catalunya

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:44 pm

d0mbo wrote:Thanks for the replies guys.

So basically the mobilization of men as the CSA is free for the first few months (because of the free replacements you receive); however, materiel should be ordered in the replacement box.

Your remarks above have led me to two other questions.

1) When purchasing a new (regular) unit (reinforcement), it starts out depleted as well. Do THESE units use the replacement pool as well, during their training/formation? (meaning you need the MP twice, the base cost of raising, and then the replacements during training).

2) Ahhhh... the army of Shenandoah.... it's locked the first turns, and unfortunately it gets attacked by union forces the turn it's unlocked. because it's outside a depot, it's understrength. What's the best strategy here?


1 I believe No, just needs some time to go full power
2.- Put them into Passive until unlocked, then RUN! Or... install some of the mods that make it start in the city, (but not in the railroad to manasas).

User avatar
Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:32 pm
Contact: Website

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:49 pm

MarkCSA wrote:What also helps is drawing a map of the U.S. and planning a few moves ahead while you appear to be deep in thought.


I plan. The problem is, I redraw the plan on every new turn. Sometimes units keep sailing up and down the Ohio for months just because this turn I think I'll build a large army to descend the Mississippi, then next I believe I'll better use them in KY to exploit an opportunity, and then next turn I dream I'll march right through into TN and then the Carolinas ... feels a bit like the real war. :D
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)

[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]

American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

MarkCSA
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:54 pm

Heldenkaiser wrote:I plan. The problem is, I redraw the plan on every new turn. Sometimes units keep sailing up and down the Ohio for months just because this turn I think I'll build a large army to descend the Mississippi, then next I believe I'll better use them in KY to exploit an opportunity, and then next turn I dream I'll march right through into TN and then the Carolinas ... feels a bit like the real war. :D


Plans are useless, but planning is invaluable........

Remember: If your attack is going the way you planned, you are in an ambush.
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

User avatar
Heldenkaiser
AGEod Grognard
Posts: 943
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:32 pm
Contact: Website

Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:56 pm

MarkCSA wrote:Plans are useless, but planning is invaluable........

Remember: If your attack is going the way you planned, you are in an ambush.


And as Moltke said, no plan survives contact with the enemy anyway. :niark:
[color="Gray"]"These Savages may indeed be a formidable Enemy to your raw American Militia, but, upon the King's regular & disciplined Troops, Sir, it is impossible they should make any Impression." -- General Edward Braddock[/color]

Colonial Campaigns Club (supports BoA and WiA)

[color="Gray"]"... and keep moving on." -- General U.S. Grant[/color]

American Civil War Game Club (supports AACW)

User avatar
Skibear
Lieutenant
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:09 pm
Location: Prague, CZ

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:16 pm

Think OODA loop. Observe, Orient, Decide, Act.

This is a cyclical decision making loop that constantly goes round and round as new information is factored in and processed.
Observe, Orient, Decide, Act, Observe, Orient, Decide, Act, Observe, Orient, Decide, Act....

The key is to get inside your enemy's OODA loop so that you think that little bit faster, either to determine what his plan is and break his loop, or to move quickly and dynamically with your process so that he is always reacting to your moves, rather than making his own.

Thats a broad description anyway, staff college stuff. But the concept applies to stuff like this. No plan survives contact with the enemy but well planned operations are flexible enough so as to make the impact on his plans much worse than yours.

Ah, if only I were able to apply it every time.... sigh.
"Stay low, move fast"

MarkCSA
Posts: 403
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:35 pm
Location: In a safe place, they couldn't hit an elephant at this distance

Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:55 pm

Skibear wrote:Think OODA loop. Observe, Orient, Decide, Act.

This is a cyclical decision making loop that constantly goes round and round as new information is factored in and processed.
Observe, Orient, Decide, Act, Observe, Orient, Decide, Act, Observe, Orient, Decide, Act....

The key is to get inside your enemy's OODA loop so that you think that little bit faster, either to determine what his plan is and break his loop, or to move quickly and dynamically with your process so that he is always reacting to your moves, rather than making his own.

Thats a broad description anyway, staff college stuff. But the concept applies to stuff like this. No plan survives contact with the enemy but well planned operations are flexible enough so as to make the impact on his plans much worse than yours.

Ah, if only I were able to apply it every time.... sigh.


Never heard of the OODA loop, but sounds very very interesting........ pretty much sums up my way of doing things, calmly observe until you have all the necessary information....... decide what needs to be done...... make a plan..... act.... rinse.... repeat.
Murphy's Law of Combat: 'The most dangerous thing on a battlefield? An officer with a map'

Coregonas
AGEod Guard of Honor
Posts: 1072
Joined: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:34 pm
Location: Barcelona-Catalunya

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:11 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PDCA

really that´s a version of the multipurpose PDCA

d0mbo
Private
Posts: 27
Joined: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:15 am

Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:17 pm

What a coincidence, i use a loop myself:

Move my troops forward.... do crap.... retreat.... rinse and repeat ;)

Anyway, some good advice in this thread (apart form the napping part :p )

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests