Hobbes

Error in Retreat Logic

Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:16 am

Please note that in the /settings/Control&Retreat.opt file the variable

ctlRetreatPrevSubSpaceCoeffH_

should read

ctlRetreatPrevSubSpaceCoeffH (No underscore)

This was preventing units from retreating back to the region they moved from. I expect Pocus will add fix to next patch but you can change this yourself in the meantime.

Cheers, Chris

Pdubya64
Captain

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:32 am

Alright Hobbes! Great catch my friend.

I was wondering about this myself. I was playing one of my many CSA "learning" games after I got the game and had some very strange unit dispositions at the end of a turn in N. Virginia.
Basically, Jackson and Beauregaard attacked into Manassas and fought against the Union together. Somehow, Jackson, who came from Winchester, ended up in Fairfax (?) during a retreat instead of back towards either the Shenandoah Valley or Fredericksburg. It was really odd.
Glad to see someone found a glitch.
Cheers!

Hmmm... Hobbes, I just checked my download version 1.06 and cannot find the .opt file under settings that you refer to above.
Are you playing under v1.06d by chance?

Hobbes

Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:56 am

I had a few odd retreat results after Pocus exported the variables so he checked and found the error when I mentioned it to him.

I am using 1.06d yes.

http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?t=5281

================================================== ============================
Modding support
================================================== ============================

8 new variables, see the file Control&Retreat.opt in the settings directory
ctlContested = 5 // Minimum control gained upon entering a region (if not passive)
ctlAllowRetreat = 5 // Minimum control to have in a region to allow a retreat into it
ctlRetreatAdjCity = 10 // Interest in retreating toward a region with a city (per level)
ctlRetreatAdjFort = 30 // Interest in retreating toward a region with a fort (per level)
ctlRetreatAdjDepot = 25 // Interest in retreating toward a region with a depot (per level)
ctlRetreatLandLink = 15 // Interest in retreating toward a region, value per land link
ctlRetreatPrevSubSpaceCoeffH_ = 250 // Coefficient applied to the interest if the region is the one where we are coming from
ctlNoBeachHead = 10 // Minimum control to have so that a region is not a beach/riverhead if you have to cross a body of water before attacking

Cheers, Chris

Henry D.

Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:36 pm

AH, great, I was wondering about the armies odd reatreating habits, too..

Two questions, though:

1) Will it suffice if I only remove the underscorce from the file or do I have to do anything else? (Sorry, I'm somewhat retarded in regard of modding.)

2.) How will that change affect PbEM, will both players have to change it or is it sufficent if only the host does?

Regards, Henry
Henry D, also known as "Stauffenberg" @ Strategycon Interactive and formerly (un)known as "whatasillyname" @ Paradox Forums

"Rackers, wollt Ihr ewig leben?" (Rascals, Do You want to live forever?) - Frederick the Great, cursing at his fleeing Grenadiers at the battle of Kunersdorf

"Nee, Fritze, aber für fuffzehn Pfennije is' heute jenuch!" (No, Freddy, but for 15p let's call it a day!) - Retort of one passing Grenadier to the above :sourcil:

Hobbes

Sat Sep 01, 2007 3:08 pm

Yes just remove the underscore - I assume only the host needs to do this.
Cheers, Chris

PBBoeye
General

Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:06 pm

Absolutely excellent find. 1-star promotion for you! :sourcil:

IMO, this deserves a stickie until incorporated into a patch.

:hat:

Pocus

Sat Sep 01, 2007 4:06 pm

As Chris says. Follow him in everything and your life will change drastically :)

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

PBBoeye
General

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:46 am

I had trouble finding this thread again. IMO, it's in the wrong forum. This isn't a mod issue.

Pocus

Thu Sep 06, 2007 11:57 am

yes, this is a bug in a parameter, I will move it to the main forum.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

GShock

Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:49 pm

Squashed :)
Gj Hobbes

saintsup
Captain

Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:38 pm

Btw, I feel sort of a slow down in the usual frenetic patching pace :siffle:

PBBoeye
General

Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:04 pm

Pocus, the reason I posted up in here is because it dawned on me that this may have been a cause of much of the non-retreat issue and horrendous casualities that were occurring. So I am interested to see how using the proper parameter, and in my case, with Clovis' mod that stresses retreat vs. stand and fight, affects casualties in large battles.

Pocus

Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:25 am

I have several things to propose in the patch, but so far I have not found the time to assemble it properly. Should be up within a few days...

mike1962
Sergeant

Fri Sep 07, 2007 10:35 pm

Excellent find Hobbes, THANKS!

Sven6345789
Private

Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:22 am

Hi, i am no computer expert. How do i change it? what type of program do i need to open the file?

Henry D.

Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:56 am

Sven6345789 wrote:Hi, i am no computer expert. How do i change it? what type of program do i need to open the file?
Hi Sven,

neither am I, but it is really easy:

Open the "AGEoD's American Civil War"-Folder on Your harddrive (it should be located in the "Program files" folder by default). There You open the "ACW" folder and then the "Settings" folder. Right-click on the file "Control&Retreat.opt" (if You are really unsure of Your edit-fu, make a backup copy of the file at this point) and select "open with" in the pop-up menu. Windows now presents You with a list of programs, from which You choose either "Editor" or "WordPad". Now You'll see the file in the form Hobbes has posted in post #3:

8 new variables, see the file Control&Retreat.opt in the settings directory
ctlContested = 5 // Minimum control gained upon entering a region (if not passive)
ctlAllowRetreat = 5 // Minimum control to have in a region to allow a retreat into it
ctlRetreatAdjCity = 10 // Interest in retreating toward a region with a city (per level)
ctlRetreatAdjFort = 30 // Interest in retreating toward a region with a fort (per level)
ctlRetreatAdjDepot = 25 // Interest in retreating toward a region with a depot (per level)
ctlRetreatLandLink = 15 // Interest in retreating toward a region, value per land link
ctlRetreatPrevSubSpaceCoeffH_ = 250 // Coefficient applied to the interest if the region is the one where we are coming from
ctlNoBeachHead = 10 // Minimum control to have so that a region is not a beach/riverhead if you have to cross a body of water before attacking

Delete "_" from the bolded line (and only the "_"), save the edited file and it's done.

It's much more complicated to explain than to do, really. :sourcil:

Regards, Henry :)
Henry D, also known as "Stauffenberg" @ Strategycon Interactive and formerly (un)known as "whatasillyname" @ Paradox Forums

"Rackers, wollt Ihr ewig leben?" (Rascals, Do You want to live forever?) - Frederick the Great, cursing at his fleeing Grenadiers at the battle of Kunersdorf

"Nee, Fritze, aber für fuffzehn Pfennije is' heute jenuch!" (No, Freddy, but for 15p let's call it a day!) - Retort of one passing Grenadier to the above :sourcil:

Sven6345789
Private

Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:41 am

thanx a lot!!

Jagger
AGEod Grognard

Sun Sep 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Excellent!!!

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”