Lytle
Civilian

Blue Water Blockade

Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:23 pm

Hi. A newbie here. I'm having trouble increasing the percentage of my blue water blockade. I have a number of blockade squadrons that I rotate in and out, sometime having nearly a 1000 pts of Power in the box, but my percentage seems stuck on the original 20%. I keep the squadrons in the box supplied and cohesive, sending them to port when needed and replacing them seamlessly. Am I missing something?

Durk

Re: Blue Water Blockade

Sun Jul 23, 2017 3:10 am

This is an extremely helpful discussion with regard to all matters blockade.

viewtopic.php?f=331&t=50889&hilit=blue+water+blockade

Lytle
Civilian

Mon Jul 24, 2017 2:49 am

Thanks for the reply and link to that very technical thread. However, I don't think I am yet at the level of sophistication being discussed. What I'm getting from the early part of that discussion is that it might be more efficient to brown water blockade individual ports/cities or take forts that would do the same thing than to spend resources sending ships into the blue water blockade boxes. OK. I get that. But I don't seem to be getting any increased blue water blockade percentage no matter how many ships I put in there (or take out). Is there no relationship between the number of ships kept in the blue water blockade box and the blockade percentage?

Captain_Orso

Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:10 pm

*Pssst* Civil War II ... :blink:

That being said :siffle: brown water blockading coastal harbors is more effective, but also take much more effort on the side of the player, mostly because you will need to relieve fleets on blockade picket when their supplies run low and/or their cohesion (low cohesion ships are vulnerable to attacks.

I've never tried to figure out what the cost difference might be, comparing how many ships you would need for each method, but to effectively brown water blocked, you will also need safe harbors close to each blockaded harbor along the coast for the pickets to retire to rest and refit (resupply and recover cohesion). These harbors will require garrisons, some fairly sizeable, to protect them from recapture.

IIRC the highest bluewater blockade value you can achieve without capturing any coastal cities is 50%. To achieve this you need at least 5 blockade fleets in each of the two blockade boxes (always evenly distributed, because only the lowest blockade value in either one of the boxes is evaluated.

Oh, the bluewater blockade does not use the 'Power' of the fleets, but their blockade value. Each ship/boat has a blockade value, which you can discover by looking at it in the element detail window. IIRC Brigs have a blockade value of about 2, while blockade ships have 10.

Brownwater blockading only counts combat ship elements, so and ironclad is equally as valuable as a gunboat in brownwater blockading, except when it comes to defending against the CS attacking a blockade.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”