Zoetermeer
Sergeant

Union Generals Locked in April '61 Campaign

Fri Jul 06, 2007 4:08 am

I've nearly reached October 1861, and after McClellan was unlocked, it seemed that in inordinate amount of my generals were 'unable to perform offensive actions'. This included McDowell and a large majority of my other leaders in the East, as well as some in the West.

I replaced McDowell with McClellan, but still nobody is unlocked. Is this by design?

bloodybucket
Sergeant

Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:17 am

Not all generals, especially those with "the slows", or bad strategic ratings, can be used as you wish every turn. Frustrating but normal for the game, and very true to life.

Now you have a small inkling of how Lincoln felt about his generals. :grr:

There is an option to play with activation off, but I think it's pretty important to make the game function in an historical fashion.

pasternakski
Colonel

Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:08 am

There is a difference between being locked and being unable to perform offensive actions. "Locked" means unable to move, either permanently or for a game-specified number of turns (hover your cursor over the leader's image in the unit display to get the particulars).

"Locked" status is depicted by a little gray padlock at the upper left corner of the leader's or unit's image in the unit display. If you don't have a padlock, you're not locked, but you may be unable to perform offensive actions due to being "inactive."

"Unable to perform offensive actions" means that the leader in question has failed his activation die roll for this turn (1d6 vs. his strategic rating, with ties activating the leader).

Zoetermeer
Sergeant

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:07 am

Well my problem would be a surfeit of the latter. Is this normal?

ussdefiant
Corporal

Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:23 pm

For the Union leadership early in the war, it is quite normal.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”