Charleson
Corporal

Need a new Amry HQ...

Fri May 18, 2007 2:55 am

Er....early in the '62 Struggle for the Heartland campaign J. Johnson managed to get the ANV all shot up to the tune of 18k casualties which included the ANV HQ (though the Union did lose 15K).

Johnson was wounded in the battle and is off mending in Winchester.

I didn't see this as too much of a problem since Lee was about to be unlocked and ready to head North to put things right--except now there is no ANV! My ANV corps have all reverted to individual commands. I can't find an option to purchase a new Army HQ on the reinforcement screen--just divisional HQ's.

(Ok, so I didn't buy an replacement Army HQ at the start of the campaign but who would have thought I'd be needing one...duh)

Help!

Pocus

Fri May 18, 2007 6:56 am

if you don't see army HQ to buy in the interface, it means you have already too much on map, in early 62 CSA is supposed to have at least 3 (or even 4 don't remember exactly) allowed HQ in the pool.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

pasternakski
Colonel

Fri May 18, 2007 8:17 am

But what if one gets eliminated, as happened here? Is it automatically replaced in the purchasable pool, or are you now permanently short one army HQ unit?

Charleson
Corporal

Fri May 18, 2007 11:07 am

I did purchase an army HQ from the replacement screen after the fact, but the replacement HQ stays in the reserve pool and I cannot access it.

My roaster reports two army HQ's; the Army of Mississippi and the Army of the West--but no ANV. There is no option to purchase a new army HQ from the reinforcement screen, I'm looking under the support tab.

I've got a bad feeling about this, Chewie...

Save game file on the way.

Pocus

Fri May 18, 2007 12:48 pm

I got it, but I can already tell you that the replacement is of no use here. A replacement is used to fill the ranks of a weakened HQ element, and only that.

I will ask PhilThib if 2 HQs is the norm for the CSA at this date.

@ Pasternakski: yes the HQ should reappears, every unit is versed back in the pool when destroyed. Perhaps in the future some units will be permanently destroyed (out of supply paratroopers :) ? ), but not for now.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Charleson
Corporal

Fri May 18, 2007 10:19 pm

Pocus wrote:I got it, but I can already tell you that the replacement is of no use here. A replacement is used to fill the ranks of a weakened HQ element, and only that.

Aye, I know I'm grasping a straws, but without a new HQ for the ANV I think I'm up the creek with this campaign. :p leure:

pasternakski
Colonel

Fri May 18, 2007 11:18 pm

...and I think you're probably right, Charleson, if you don't get a replacement HQ unit for ANV.

I guess I don't see how, if the game is working properly and what Pocus said is accurate, you are not getting a new ANV HQ unit in the reinforcement screen. I assume that your other two armies already existed when ANV got caulked, so that you should be entitled to three armies.

The only fly in the ointment may be that the ANV was formed at the beginning or by event in your scenario (which I have not played) rather than through the ordinary evolutionary process of adding new armies from time to time, so that the game does not recognize your loss and will not add it as a new reinforcement (in other words, it sees you as being allowed two armies in addition to ANV and pays no attention to whether you have dribbled it out of bounds off your knee and turned the ball over).

If that's the case, your tater tots are REALLY smokin' in the oven... good luck, I hope Pocus rounds up an answer for you. This may wind up being a good lesson for us all in being extra careful not to lose army HQs if we can help it. Think of what shape the Union would be in if unable to re-form the Army of the Potomac after a similar disaster.

Stonewall

Sat May 19, 2007 12:01 am

You should have 3 available HQ's. You get 2 by event in mid-late 1861. A 3rd in January 1862, a 4th in January 1863, and a 5th in January 1864.

Looking at the 1862 scenario file, I only see two Confederate Army HQ units. One with J. E. Johnston, and the other with A.S. Johnston.

Theoretically, you should be able to build one right from the start to get your 3rd HQ. And then if the ANV HQ is destroyed, you should be able to build it again.

Does iy maybe take a turn for the HQ to get back into the pool? Have you played a turn past when your HQ was killed?

Charleson
Corporal

Sat May 19, 2007 12:43 am

Stonewall wrote:You should have 3 available HQ's. You get 2 by event in mid-late 1861. A 3rd in January 1862, a 4th in January 1863, and a 5th in January 1864.

Looking at the 1862 scenario file, I only see two Confederate Army HQ units. One with J. E. Johnston, and the other with A.S. Johnston.

Theoretically, you should be able to build one right from the start to get your 3rd HQ. And then if the ANV HQ is destroyed, you should be able to build it again.

Does iy maybe take a turn for the HQ to get back into the pool? Have you played a turn past when your HQ was killed?

Yup, I'm a couple of turns past said disaster. Fortunately Little Mac hasn't noticed that the ANV has disappeared and there's only individual commands left in its wake.

I started the '62 campaign with three armies: The West, The Mississippi, and the ANV. I guess if I'm really desperate to continue this particular game I can pull the Army of the West HQ out of Little Rock and send it east

pasternakski wrote: If that's the case, your tater tots are REALLY smokin' in the oven... good luck, I hope Pocus rounds up an answer for you. This may wind up being a good lesson for us all in being extra careful not to lose army HQs if we can help it. Think of what shape the Union would be in if unable to re-form the Army of the Potomac after a similar disaster.

ROFL! Where do you come up with these 'lil gems?

Though I don't remember ever seeing an army HQ even take damage in any of my previous games. I suppose however aides de camp should be able to die like everyone else if they are in the wrong place and the wrong time...

Thanks guys for feeling my pain. :niark:

Pocus

Sat May 19, 2007 6:45 am

I will check your save then, monday or tuesday.

Fornadan
Civilian

Sat May 19, 2007 4:24 pm

I've just completed a game where the AI Beauguard attacked Washington with in spring '62 with his Army headquarters and precious few other units. In the suicidal assault the hq was destroyed. As a result the Army of the Potomac became a disorganized blob which I easily pushed around and the rebels capitulated late September.

I think the AI should have its headquarters automatically respawned

Pocus

Mon May 21, 2007 2:08 pm

problem identified and fixed, thanks.

Charleson
Corporal

Mon May 21, 2007 6:09 pm

Pocus wrote:problem identified and fixed, thanks.

Great!

Pocus

Mon May 21, 2007 8:05 pm

the bad news is that you have to restart a game for that (this don't happen in the 61 campaign but your was a 62' one).

See the 1.03 beta patch, I have updated it to release candidate one (with this fix and others)

Charleson
Corporal

Mon May 21, 2007 8:52 pm

NP, I was only a few turns into said campaign.

Thanks for stomping so quickly on the bug. :dada:

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”