Grim Madder
Private

Still worth a purchase?

Fri May 08, 2015 5:37 am

I have been playing BOA 2 and AJE and really enjoy them both.

I have been thinking of picking up AACW because as on older game, I imagine it plays very well with relatively few issues.

Is it still worth getting this and playing it for a few months before getting CW 2 or has CW 2 made this game obsolete?

Cheers

EDIT: I just read this thread (http://www.ageod-forum.com/showthread.php?38005-Just-played-Shiloh-this-is-still-a-nice-game) and it seems that it is indeed still a good buy.

I saw that it works on Windows 7 so I imagine it will also work on 8.1.

Taillebois
General of the Army

Sat May 09, 2015 12:00 pm

Yes. It is virtually free now too. And in some ways is more charming than CW2.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Sat May 09, 2015 2:35 pm

Yes!

The only downside to AACW vs CW2 is current forum activity. Most active posters are on the CW2 board. That said, there is a HUGE volume of archived posts about AACW, and a good dedicated wiki that can help with most questions you might have. A lot of CW2 players also have AACW, so though not as easy as CW2, you can probably still find PBEM opponents as well.

If you like and are effective playing AJE and BOA2 you will get a LOT of mileage out of AACW. The game plays great and the AI is actually a bit better than the one that CW2 currently has, (at least IMO) since it had undergone many more iterations of updates and patches than the current CW2 AI has.

Delaware
Private

Sun May 17, 2015 9:52 pm

And you can't beat the wonderful flavor that map and look give you

Jorje Vidrio
Corporal

Re: Still worth a purchase?

Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:50 pm

I completely agree about the map! As good as the refinements in ACW2 are, the old fashioned texture of the map in the first game adds so much to the flavor of the period in the game.

Khanti
Captain

Wed May 09, 2018 8:40 am

Map is better than CW2, industry management is better, financial issues are better (it tells you exactly how many elements of all types are on map and gives budget balance).
Yes, it still worth buying and playing.
:)
Meteoryt-like user. Strikes and disappears.

veji1
AGEod Guard of Honor

Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:15 pm

It is still the best game they ever made simply put. Just like EUII or CIVII would still be a good buy 20 years later. This game is THE classic of their repertoire.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”