Taillebois
General of the Army

Just played Shiloh; this is still a nice game

Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:37 pm

How can such a nice game be neglected?

It still has more atmosphere than CW2, but I'm just an occasional player.

deguerra
Major

Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:37 am

Taillebois wrote:How can such a nice game be neglected?

It still has more atmosphere than CW2, but I'm just an occasional player.

This is still my favourite Ageod game as well, and still the one I play the most :thumbsup:

To add slightly more relevance to my post, it's certainly worth picking up if you're interested in the ACW, but not sure you want to fork out the price for Civil War 2.

I also still like some of the features in this game more than the new one, esp the more detailed ledger. And the artstyle, especially of the map, is simply gorgeous. I like the 'clean' feel of Civil War 2, but the artistic map still takes the cake for me personally.

-deguerra

soundoff
AGEod Veteran

Mon Oct 20, 2014 12:22 pm

+1

This is one of AGEODs finest IMHO and knocks the spots off of CW2. Its far less of a sandbox game and did benefit enormously from being so well supported and patched. Credit must go to the Phils that there were at least 17 updates to the original. Also to the work of many volunteers particularly Gray Lensman. My goodness but he put some volunteer hours into this game.

Ah well, life moves on and times and fashions change......sadly not always for the better.

Franciscus

Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:53 pm

Yes, AACW is a masterpiece IMHO. :thumbsup: It was the game that hooked me to Ageod forever, I guess :cool:

Although it is not fair to say it is/was neglected. It received, during many years, countless patches (remember, each patch "number" often had various "letter" versions). The latest patches were more improvements than bug-fixes. Now it is a "legacy" game, one that we can return anytime we want, knowing that it was perfected with love and care to brilliance status.

And let's not forget the huge amount of work the great lodilefty put in constantly improving and supporting this jewel! :coeurs:

Regards
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:41 pm

Yes, my error by lazy use of language - I meant neglected in the sense of nobody posting on the forum for weeks - I felt sorry for the AACW spirits now the shinier new CW2 was getting all the postings. Yes I saw there was a huge amount of forum help getting AACW patched and improved. It was my first AGEOD game when it came in a box with a manual - 1.06 I think was the out of the box version.

Maecenas
Private

Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:34 am

Franciscus wrote:Yes, AACW is a masterpiece IMHO. :thumbsup: It was the game that hooked me to Ageod.

This is it! I joined si-games.com and met AACW years ago. And AACW is still my favourite from Ageod.
„Machen Sie sich frei von Kleinarbeit. Dazu halten Sie sich einige wenige kluge Leute. Lassen Sie sich aber viel Zeit, sich Gedanken zu machen und sich vor sich selbst ganz klar zu werden. Sorgen Sie dafür, dass Ihre Gedanken ausgeführt werden. Nur so können Sie richtig führen.“ - Kurt von Hammerstein-Equord

Delaware
Private

Tue Nov 11, 2014 10:03 pm

So, for a newbie, who actually owns BOTH games, which would be a more flavorful, fun experience to learn completely? AACW or CW2???? And why? Thanks!

Taillebois
General of the Army

Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:35 pm

cf my answer to your question on the CW2 forum.

ArmChairGeneral
AGEod Grognard

Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:36 am

Though I like the gameplay of CW2 better (not everyone will agree with me) I preferred the artwork and "feel" of AACW better.

Wars in America (BOA2) is MY favorite AGEOD game, the map is incredible! It stands the test of time very well, too, I still play it.

Durk

Tue Nov 18, 2014 6:31 am

Agreed, Wars in America is such a great game. So my favorite.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”