Frank

Replacement question

Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:29 am

Hi

i have a question about replacements. When i have two elements in a brigade and both have a current strength of 500 soldiers. Do i need 2 replacement points or only 1 to fill them both up?

Frank

Hobbes

Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:48 pm

Good question in BoA it was 1 per lost element I think. If an element was lost you could tell by the empty circle on the unit - if it wasn't lost completely it would gradually recover without the need for replacements.

Can anyone answer this? Not sure how it works now.

I also have a quick question :-

Can anyone tell me why there are now 2 numbers against ranged and assault
values?

Ranged 3 / 15
Assault 2 / 15

This has stumped me.
Cheers, Chris

Pocus

Wed Apr 18, 2007 7:51 pm

in BOA replacing casualties within a given element is free.

In AACW you have to pay in replacements every single casualty you get, but this is probabilistic. With that I mean that if an element have lost 50% of his men, then you have a ... 25% chance of spending a replacement to fill it to full strength.

25% ... not 50%, why? because you get a discount. You can consider the discount to take into account the wounded, stragglers etc. that are coming back to the unit.

Chris:
3 is the number of hits done, 15 is the number of cohesion done, each time the element hit the enemy (same for assault).

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

ussdefiant
Corporal

Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:15 pm

Pocus,

Does this mean that damaged elements will always fill up if replacements are in the pool, just that there's a fair chance that the pool will not be depleted doing so?

swang
Corporal

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:47 pm

Wait, so replacements are just for filling existing elements up? What about replacing destroyed elements? (For example, I have a brigade which calls for 3 Infantry elements, a Cav element and a Art element. The Cav gets destroyed. can it ever comeback short of merging?

Primasprit

Wed Apr 18, 2007 9:58 pm

ussdefiant wrote:Pocus,

Does this mean that damaged elements will always fill up if replacements are in the pool, just that there's a fair chance that the pool will not be depleted doing so?

Yes.

Primasprit

Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:01 pm

swang wrote:Wait, so replacements are just for filling existing elements up? What about replacing destroyed elements? (For example, I have a brigade which calls for 3 Infantry elements, a Cav element and a Art element. The Cav gets destroyed. can it ever comeback short of merging?

The Cav will be replaced with a replacement element from the pool. However this kind of 'full' replacement is limited to one element per turn.

benway9
Private

Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:03 pm

oh ok, with regards to replacements. i have been merging units to fill in the missing full elements. was not aware that they would be filled in thru replacements. i knew it didnt seem right.

Pocus

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:14 am

the recovery of casualties is done progressively, there is a % associated with that, and the Union is recovering at half speed. You also need to be in a valid structure, supplied.

Replacements can do both, as Primasprit explained.

Hofstadter's Law: "It always takes longer than you expect, even when you take into account Hofstadter's law."

Snoob
Sergeant

Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:18 am

So, in my campaign, I ordered 2 line replacements and 1 militia. Both my "damaged" units, 1 line and 1 militia, seem to have recovered some of their strength, yet in the replacement pool I can see all three replacement units. Does that mean that I got lucky and all 3 were unused, or do I need to be able to see those envelopes to be sure that they were unused?

edit: however my main question should have been this: newly formed, under strength units, are treated as suffering "casualties" and need replacements to reach full strength?

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”