UnionBlue
Private

Naval Engineer, What's the point?

Sun May 19, 2013 5:08 pm

Every one of us has been there, looking at the support units and purchasing an engineer and a medical company, maybe even some supplies. Then we hover our mouses over the naval engineer and wonder why is this here? I've never recruited one before and haven't lost a game without one so what's the point? Well this is my question, if any of you use our know what they're there for, please clarify.

Ol' Choctaw

Sun May 19, 2013 7:06 pm

They speed up construction by a few days but more importantly they speed up ship repair by a significant amount.

Think of them as a field hospital for ships. If you move an important fleet or your river fleets to a new port it is a good idea to take one along.

UnionBlue
Private

Sun May 19, 2013 7:13 pm

But who cares about your fleets being repaired especially as the csa. as long as your cohesion and manpower are back up it really has no effect on shipping and blockading

Captain_Orso

Sun May 19, 2013 7:34 pm

As far as bringing resources back to southern ports goes, it makes no difference. But it would be a shame to lose a brig due to being caught one time too often and taking the last hit and sinking ;) . The same goes for raiders.

Also, time in port is wasted time for ships. The quicker they are fit, the quicker they are running the blockade or raiding Union shipping.

And don't forget about your brown water fleets. Getting an ironclad repaired after taking a bunch of hits in a battle can take a while, especially in smaller harbors.

Ol' Choctaw

Sun May 19, 2013 7:37 pm

Without them it takes much longer to get that cohesion and manpower back up. The ship repair is a function of the cohesion and manpower.

They can also make the difference in a ship being built this turn or waiting for another turn. It is why ships build quicker in the cities they start in. They need not be stacked with the ships, just in the city to work.

UnionBlue
Private

Mon May 20, 2013 12:49 am

Captain_Orso wrote:As far as bringing resources back to southern ports goes, it makes no difference. But it would be a shame to lose a brig due to being caught one time too often and taking the last hit and sinking ;) . The same goes for raiders.

Also, time in port is wasted time for ships. The quicker they are fit, the quicker they are running the blockade or raiding Union shipping.

And don't forget about your brown water fleets. Getting an ironclad repaired after taking a bunch of hits in a battle can take a while, especially in smaller harbors.

This all may be true however I feel the role of Naval Engineers are still too insignificant. Maybe if they were able to construct harbors in regions connected to water. Unfortunately I feel that it is just a waste of money for too little a gain.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Mon May 20, 2013 1:34 am

UnionBlue wrote:This all may be true however I feel the role of Naval Engineers are still too insignificant. Maybe if they were able to construct harbors in regions connected to water. Unfortunately I feel that it is just a waste of money for too little a gain.

Easy to answer. The more you use it, the more value it gets. Especially for the CSA. Shorter repair time means holding longer against the odds, keeping off enemy fleets, help hold positions, hinder supply, blocking river crossings, bringing supply into besieged forts. If this is not enough value, then I can't help it.
"I am here already.", said the hedgehog to the hare.

UnionBlue
Private

Mon May 20, 2013 1:58 am

I do not mean to lessen the role of the naval engineer as I had no idea as to what it was. But I have yet to lose even on the hardest setting for Athena, without ever purchasing one. But if it truly makes that much of a difference than by all means more power to ya for using them. I may even try one out my next go around.
"We'll fight them, sir, 'til hell freezes over, and then, sir, we will fight them on the ice."
A Confederate soldier at Gettysburg

Ol' Choctaw

Mon May 20, 2013 7:22 am

You start the game with some. As the CS you have one in Richmond and Mobile and get one when you take Norfolk. The Union has them in New York, Boston, Philly, Baltimore, Annapolis, St. Louis, and Cairo.

You can play and win without a lot of the game elements or units but using them can make things go a lot smoother.

Citizen X
AGEod Veteran

Mon May 20, 2013 9:13 am

UnionBlue wrote:I do not mean to lessen the role of the naval engineer as I had no idea as to what it was. But I have yet to lose even on the hardest setting for Athena, without ever purchasing one. But if it truly makes that much of a difference than by all means more power to ya for using them. I may even try one out my next go around.

As the Union I use those provided. By the time you would need one in another place you have enough odds already that it doesnt make soo much difference. As the CSA however I build one and place him in Memphis and let him wander down should the Union approach. Sometimes it is useful to have one in Nashville, too. Really makes a difference there.
"I am here already.", said the hedgehog to the hare.

Return to “AGEod's American Civil War”